PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Southern Illinois @Youngstown St.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2023, 02:31 PM
The Dogs of SIU invade Youngstown for a match with YSU. They are lead by another quality QB in Nic Baker who is highly ranked in numerous MVFC passing stats. YSU is lead by RB King who leads or is runner up in numerous MVFC rushing stats, yet he doesn’t start. Go figure.

YSU got eaten alive in the secondary and made a lot of foolish mistakes in a 44-41 loss at the UNI Dome. Unbeaten SIU now appears in several Top 10 polls.

Preseason this was a toss up game as I rated the schedule, but given the poor pass D display last week, they will be an underdog.

Thoughts ?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2023, 02:35 PM
YSU can really change their narrative with a win! Should be a close game. Can the 'Guins end up on the right side of a close game? SIU has...

ysubigred
October 2nd, 2023, 03:03 PM
Hill throws for 400 and runs for another 150..

Hill > Day

xtwocentsx

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

skinny_uncle
October 2nd, 2023, 08:03 PM
SIU has a much improved Defense which will make the difference.

The Yo Show
October 4th, 2023, 11:36 AM
SIU defense does look pretty good... that may be what seals the deal. If YSU offense can't keep up then it is going to be a long day getting torched. The weather may favor the penguins though... projected rain all day Saturday (still far enough away yet that I won't be holding my breath on the weather forecast).

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2023, 11:41 AM
I see a game YSU could win or lose. Depends on which team shows up. Baker is a solid QB, but he is only 5’9. He needs only another 122 passing yards to become SIU all time passing leader. I also note to watch SIU passing attack to see if they use play action and short pass plays as UNI did. If so, I see little that YSU does to contain Baker, hurry throws forcing mistakes and INTs. If SIU opts for a longer pass game, YSU has a solid shot to win. I’d also be making use of Diggs 6’6 frame in the middle to block Bakers vision and get a big paw on passes over the middle against the short game.

I’ll also be watching to see if YSU gives their best RB King 25 carries or more. They have held him back playing an inferior player ahead of him , failing to take advantage of a big back, experienced OL and shorten games running the football.

Im going to write off the UNI loss as another of the UNI Dome curse! But inept coaching and a poor secondary D were major contributors.
SIU has a nice team , unbeaten , but they can be had. Playing better YSU D and getting back to a strong run game will give YSU a real chance. Fail on either side of the ball and it becomes another wasted season that held some promise.

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2023, 07:01 PM
SIU defense does look pretty good... that may be what seals the deal. If YSU offense can't keep up then it is going to be a long day getting torched. The weather may favor the penguins though... projected rain all day Saturday (still far enough away yet that I won't be holding my breath on the weather forecast).
Looks dry and cool thew last I saw.

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2023, 12:13 PM
This and that - SIU game notes are out. They are concentrating on recruiting the portal and………. Wait for it.."…………………………………………. Southern states. 13 from Florida, 7 from Georgia and a bunch from Texas to the Carolinas, Tennesse, etc. I also note the roster reflects short and underweight players. That is going to come back and haunt them. Yep, they are unbeaten! But who have they played ?

I was going to pick against YSU in the pic ‘‘em contest, but after an in-depth review, I’m changing my mind. For one, SIU doesn’t run the ball much and isn’t highly successful when they do. The pass game is their meal ticket . And they do it with a 5’9 QB, a 6’0 C and a 5’6 RB. I think UNI was a bigger, better team ( and throw in the UNI Dome curse). SIU has played a weak schedule with small players. What happens in the meat of the MVFC schedule ?

I look at their supposed tough D. Only giving up 50 some rushing yards a game. Holding teams to under 20 points a game. Yet many of their players on D are smaller or undersized. Quick ? Maybe. But if I picked this up, what are the YSU coaches looking at for a game plan ? We have a big, experienced OL, big RB, tall WRs and a tall albeit average QB. Our strength is a pounding run game and short pass game. Can you control the ball against a small short team doing this ? YSU special teams have been good with a punter averaging over 46 yds. A kick, accurate Xpt and FG kicks, a blocked punt and good kick coverage.

So what do I see the experts don’t. Game time in the 50s, wet raining the previous two days and game day. Bigger team vs smaller one. Suspect weak schedule versus a team who has played Ohio St. well and a solid UNI who is better than most think. Both teams feature 5th and 6th year players, lots of experience and productive players. YSU isn’t going to win the MVFC , but neither is SIU. The grind begins.

As I see it, YSU is 2-2 and battle tested. SIU is 4-0 and their schedule is suspect so far. Home field and a wet one at that should give a bigger home team an edge. The skill game is problematic for a heavy passing team in wet weather/field. If YSU elects to hammer SIU with a big RB and keep the pass game to quick short throws, they may control the game. SIU, if they show limited runs and heavy pass should get a YSU response of selective blitzes if SIU shows longer pass plays and YSU should drop off everyone for pass coverage while only rushing 3. Keep SIU guessing as to blitzes and only a 3 man rush. D should be set for the pass, not the run. I’d also have special teams primed. SIU may be ranked but I don’t see YSU personnel as overwhelmed.

My call - YSU upset and low scoring game unless the wet ball causes fluke plays. YSU 21-17.

Houndawg
October 5th, 2023, 05:12 PM
This and that - SIU game notes are out. They are concentrating on recruiting the portal and………. Wait for it.."…………………………………………. Southern states. 13 from Florida, 7 from Georgia and a bunch from Texas to the Carolinas, Tennesse, etc. I also note the roster reflects short and underweight players. That is going to come back and haunt them. Yep, they are unbeaten! But who have they played ?

I was going to pick against YSU in the pic ‘‘em contest, but after an in-depth review, I’m changing my mind. For one, SIU doesn’t run the ball much and isn’t highly successful when they do. The pass game is their meal ticket . And they do it with a 5’9 QB, a 6’0 C and a 5’6 RB. I think UNI was a bigger, better team ( and throw in the UNI Dome curse). SIU has played a weak schedule with small players. What happens in the meat of the MVFC schedule ?

I look at their supposed tough D. Only giving up 50 some rushing yards a game. Holding teams to under 20 points a game. Yet many of their players on D are smaller or undersized. Quick ? Maybe. But if I picked this up, what are the YSU coaches looking at for a game plan ? We have a big, experienced OL, big RB, tall WRs and a tall albeit average QB. Our strength is a pounding run game and short pass game. Can you control the ball against a small short team doing this ? YSU special teams have been good with a punter averaging over 46 yds. A kick, accurate Xpt and FG kicks, a blocked punt and good kick coverage.

So what do I see the experts don’t. Game time in the 50s, wet raining the previous two days and game day. Bigger team vs smaller one. Suspect weak schedule versus a team who has played Ohio St. well and a solid UNI who is better than most think. Both teams feature 5th and 6th year players, lots of experience and productive players. YSU isn’t going to win the MVFC , but neither is SIU. The grind begins.

As I see it, YSU is 2-2 and battle tested. SIU is 4-0 and their schedule is suspect so far. Home field and a wet one at that should give a bigger home team an edge. The skill game is problematic for a heavy passing team in wet weather/field. If YSU elects to hammer SIU with a big RB and keep the pass game to quick short throws, they may control the game. SIU, if they show limited runs and heavy pass should get a YSU response of selective blitzes if SIU shows longer pass plays and YSU should drop off everyone for pass coverage while only rushing 3. Keep SIU guessing as to blitzes and only a 3 man rush. D should be set for the pass, not the run. I’d also have special teams primed. SIU may be ranked but I don’t see YSU personnel as overwhelmed.

My call - YSU upset and low scoring game unless the wet ball causes fluke plays. YSU 21-17.

Upset? It sounds like SIU will be lucky to stay within two scores.....

The Yo Show
October 5th, 2023, 07:03 PM
https://x.com/WeAreYoungstown/status/1710084381497307421?s=20

Link to Twitter space discussing the matchup!

The Yo Show
October 5th, 2023, 07:37 PM
Looks dry and cool thew last I saw.

Low pressure system coming down from Lake Erie! It will be very windy and 40% chance of rain.

SIUallDay
October 5th, 2023, 10:38 PM
Would love to come out of Ohio with a win after how last season ended. I'm sure that's on the team's minds going in.

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2023, 11:05 AM

SIU is ranked Top 10. YSU not ranked . YSU win is certainly an upset. We will see.

Houndawg
October 6th, 2023, 02:15 PM
SIU is ranked Top 10. YSU not ranked . YSU win is certainly an upset. We will see.

xlolx

Which side of your mouth do you use for telling the truth?

How can it be an upset against a short, small team, without much running game, that hasn't beaten anybody yet, playing on a wet and windy field, against a big physical team that gave Ohio State all they could handle? The upset will be if YSU doesn't win going away.xcoffeex

Paladin1aa
October 6th, 2023, 02:51 PM
xlolx

Which side of your mouth do you use for telling the truth?

How can it be an upset against a short, small team, without much running game, that hasn't beaten anybody yet, playing on a wet and windy field, against a big physical team that gave Ohio State all they could handle? The upset will be if YSU doesn't win going away.xcoffeex

So much for rankings ! Let’s do away with polls. 😁

Houndawg
October 7th, 2023, 08:42 AM
So much for rankings ! Let’s do away with polls. 

YSU by 7-10?

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 10:34 AM
YSU by 7-10?

Only takes 1. 😂

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 01:48 PM
I think this will be a close game. If the weather keeps the way it is, might be a 17-10 type game

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 03:55 PM
It’s damp and cold. Nasty stuff. Penguin weather,lol

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 04:05 PM
SIU has played nobody. They beat a FBS and a SEMO team who made the playoffs last year.

SIUallDay
October 7th, 2023, 04:14 PM
SIU has played nobody. They beat a FBS and a SEMO team who made the playoffs last year.
And Austin Peay is 3-2 with their only losses being SIU and Tennessee, two teams ranked in their respective subdivisions.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 05:08 PM
YSU 7 SIU 0 .

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:09 PM
40 yd. TD run by King. Guins are firing on all cylinders. YSU 7-0

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Guins converted on several 3rd downs. Both run and pass game looks good. Next up, the D.

Good to see YSU manhandle the Dogs early.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2023, 05:16 PM
Guins converted on several 3rd downs. Both run and pass game looks good. Next up, the D.

Good to see YSU manhandle the Dogs early.

Watching the YSU OL....they are better than the Bison OL. Especially run blocking.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Sack ! YSU with pressure.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:23 PM
YSU forces a punt. YSU starts on their 2 yd line.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:29 PM
YSU with 58 run yds, more than SIU gives a game. King having big day. Big pass play to Oliver.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:32 PM
YSU stomping on them, running and passing at will. In the red zone.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:35 PM
King with 65 rush yds first qtr.

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 05:37 PM
13-0 YSU

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 05:38 PM
YSU 14 SIU 0 .

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:38 PM
Rushton 3 yd TD run. 96 yd drive for TD.

YSU 14

Siu 0

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:43 PM
YSU stuffs them on kickoff at the 15.

D looks good. Shutting down SIU run game.

- - - Updated - - -

Baker sacked on blitz. 4th down

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 05:44 PM

Why did you say that? That's how the game is going now

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 05:46 PM
Penguins looking great early. But they’ll need to bury SIU, the Salukis can be relentless and come back in a hurry.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:48 PM
YSU has convert 4 of 4 third downs.

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 05:49 PM
And a 4th down

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 7th, 2023, 05:50 PM
'Guins looks good!

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:50 PM
YSU OL is eating them alive. Inside the 5.

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 05:51 PM
20 to 0

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:51 PM
TD called back !

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 05:53 PM
INT in the end zone. First YSU bad play.

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 05:54 PM
Nevermind that was called back

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:05 PM
SIU 1st and goal on the 8

- - - Updated - - -

4 yd sack. YSU keeps pressure on.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:09 PM
SIU sacked again.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 06:10 PM
YSU 14 SIU 3 .

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:11 PM
SIU 33 yd FG

YSU 14

SIU 3

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 7th, 2023, 06:15 PM
YSU 14 SIU 3 Half

Houndawg
October 7th, 2023, 06:20 PM
Why did you say that? That's how the game is going now

Road game against a tough opponent, weather not in our favor,... I'm a bit surpised its this close given how the two teams have played; we were down more than this against SEMO at the half. Plus we've been slow starters all year. If we're true to form we'll do better in the second half.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 06:21 PM
Road game against a tough opponent, weather not in our favor,... I'm a bit surpised its this close given how the two teams have played; we were down more than this against SEMO at the half. Plus we've been slow starters all year. If we're true to form we'll do better in the second half.

You guys seem to have a knack for being able to scratch and claw your way back out of any situation.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:28 PM
YSU racks up 197 yds first half - 110 on the ground.

Game is going as I expected.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:38 PM
SIU takes the kickoff. 3 and out. I’m expecting YSU to ram it down their throat.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:53 PM
YSU INT SIU . Guins on their 2.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 06:54 PM
YSU 17 SIU 3 .

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:55 PM
YSU FG

YSU 17-3

penguinpower
October 7th, 2023, 06:55 PM
Good stand by SIU

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 06:59 PM
Good stand by SIU

coupled with poor play calling by YSU. They need to spoon feed King to them, down their throat.

penguinpower
October 7th, 2023, 07:00 PM
coupled with poor play calling by YSU. They need to spoon feed King to them, down their throat.

Agreed

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:06 PM
YSU misses a FG.
35 seconds in 3rd qtr.

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Trying to pass to much and missed the field goal

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:08 PM
They are eating Baker alive. YSU dominating in both trenches.

penguinpower
October 7th, 2023, 07:09 PM
It's now raining like hell

penguinpower
October 7th, 2023, 07:10 PM
The rain may change play calling. It was clear and the radio announcers said it wasn't supposed to rain until 11 pm. Looks like it just started

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:16 PM
YSU fumbles away a pass reception on SIU 15.

penguinpower
October 7th, 2023, 07:16 PM
YSU fumbles away a pass reception on SIU 15.

That was close. Not sure if it was a fumble but it was close

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Baker sacked for 7th time.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 07:25 PM
YSU 24 SIU 3 .

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:25 PM
King TD run.

YSU 24
SIU 3

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:30 PM
Baker sacked for the 8th time. SIU punting

Houndawg
October 7th, 2023, 07:31 PM
YSU 24 SIU 3 .

No matter how good your season theres always a game like this, and YSU is looking like world beaters tonight.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:38 PM
No matter how good your season theres always a game like this, and YSU is looking like world beaters tonight.

YSU is dominating both lines as I expected. SIU is in trouble with the Dakotas coming up. You have no run game. Averaging less than a yard a carry against YSU.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 07:40 PM
YSU 31 SIU 3 .

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:41 PM
YSU TD

YSU 31-3

ytownchief22
October 7th, 2023, 07:44 PM
SIU very, very overrated.

The Yo Show
October 7th, 2023, 07:47 PM

Well I'm just saying. I feel like you jinxed your own team there. I hope SIU wins out. I've been surprised this score was so lopsided.

Paladin1aa
October 7th, 2023, 07:51 PM
YSU beats a Top 5 team easily tonite, much as I expected. Final is 31-3. They ran the ball well and used short control passes , also as I expected. King had 117 yds running last I heard. YSU D sacked SIU 8 times. The fact is YSU is better than maybe 90% of FCS, but playing in the MVFC makes to tough times.

Bison56
October 7th, 2023, 08:36 PM
Nice win.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 7th, 2023, 09:19 PM
Great job 'Guins! The Phillies win diverted my attention for awhile....

Houndawg
October 7th, 2023, 10:09 PM
Well I'm just saying. I feel like you jinxed your own team there. I hope SIU wins out. I've been surprised this score was so lopsided.

SIU lost because a fan in a chatroom pointed out a couple of factors that weren't in our favor? OKxlolx We laid an egg tonight and took an asswhuppin' - and we have the #3 SOS - but we have plenty of game left

The Yo Show
October 8th, 2023, 08:12 AM
SIU lost because a fan in a chatroom pointed out a couple of factors that weren't in our favor? OKxlolx We laid an egg tonight and took an asswhuppin' - and we have the #3 SOS - but we have plenty of game left

You're not wrong. Just was a superstitious comment on my part. Regardless of what we fans say, the team is gonna play how the team is gonna play. It is influenced by a lot of factors, including fans sometimes, but a chatroom probably not the way.

SIU still can right the ship too, this was only one game.

kdinva
October 8th, 2023, 08:23 AM
YSU TD

YSU 31-3

ouch

Paladin1aa
October 8th, 2023, 10:14 AM
So, after sleeping on it, here is my wrap up - I called for King to get 25 carries. They gave him 22 and he gained 123yds /2TDs and had more called back on penalties. He is a dominate RB, one of the best in the MVFC as he leads in most rushing stats. They kept Davidson to short throws where his weak arm and inaccuracies won’t hurt them. However he threw an INT in the end zone . Need to keep him on play action and short passes. YSU dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Corrected stats reflect 7 sacks vs SIU. Baker was under pressure all day. This was no fluke as SIU was a Top 5 ranked team. However, YSU is no doubt a top 10-15 team. Watched the Friday night Harvard- Cornell game and YSU would eat both alive. No doubt in my mind , given YSU personnel” , they would beat most of FCS right now, at least 90%. But the MVFC makes for an extremely difficult schedule. But they played Ohio St. well and I’m starting to see YSU in the playoffs where they will do serious damage.

Up next is a trip to South Dakota, ranked now at # 12 and probably move up in next weeks poll. They are also going to be in trouble with YSU. More on that later.

As long as the coaches don’t produce anymore brain farts !like the fiasco at UNI, YSU is positioned to roll with all questions answered at RB and QB, my preseason concerns. If they stay healthy and the coaches don’t get stupid, YSU only has a serious problem game with SDSU left on the schedule. Ohio St was Ohio St and UNI was a brain fart game. YSU controls its destiny. There are more games to win if they stay healthy and in fact, YSU should expect to win by some loop sided scores. Just follow the formula, play your best players ( King) and don’t get too fancy. Take the points when a TD is a long shot, keep players playing inside their strength and don’t let up. Vanquish the opposition.