View Full Version : SoCon 2023 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 6

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 08:56 PM
Saturday, October 7

Away
Home
Time
What's it gonna be?

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2023/5/30/Terriers_StackedWHITE.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
1:30P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
2P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
3:30P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
4P

FUBeAR's SoCon Power Rankings (Predictions later in the week)

1) FURMAN - The sleeping Paladins couldn't have dreamed of a better week off. Surely, Furman will be the consensus #3 Team in ALL Polls this week - just behind SDSU and MTST. With NDSU, HC, and W&M all losing FCS games to (pretty much) unranked Teams, that only leaves Furman and SDSU as Teams that were ranked very highly at the beginning of the season and are UNDEFEATED in FCS Football. Sure Idaho, SacSt, S. ILL, and UT-Martin have looked good and done admirable things, but there is no good reason to have an UNDEFEATED in FCS Furman Team slip behind those 3 Teams that have certainly earned promotions in their rankings...just not over a HIGHLY RANKED & UNDEFEATED in FCS Team. Furman is looking forward to a visit from the bellhops this week. The Men in Purple have a lot of baggage that needs a-totin'

2a) Mercer - nothing at all shaky about Mercer's dominating win over VMI and that gets them promoted this week to the top of the "#2 List." Mauled 'em in all 3 phases. Opportunity this week to go to Johnson City and avenge the last second in the last game of the regular season loss that cost Mercer the 2021 SoCon Championship/SoCon AutoBid AND a Playoff berth altogether. Lost Star LB Isaac Dowling for the season against VMI, but FUBeAR believes other Bears will rise up.

2b) WCU - looked shaky early against a bad Team in Chucktown, but landed on their kitty-cat feet. BIG TEST on the road for the felines this week.

2c) CHATT - looked shaky until the latter stages against a bad Team in SparkleCity. BIG TEST at home for the SnakeBirds this week

5) Samford - with a shaky win over the LandLockedBucs, the HomewoodHounds barely stay out of the crowded cellar. Woffy was tough to shake for a Team that just whipped Samford. Can the pups keeps from falling down the stairs?

9a) ETSU
9b) VMI
9c) Wofford
9d) The Citadel

The Cats
October 1st, 2023, 09:11 PM
winners in bold

Samford (2-3, 1-2 SoCon) at Wofford (0-5, 0-2 SoCon)
The Citadel (0-5, 0-2 SoCon) at Furman (3-1, 1-0 SoCon)
Mercer (3-2, 1-1 SoCon) at East Tennessee State (1-3, 0-1 SoCon)
Western Carolina (4-1, 2-0 SoCon) at Chattanooga (4-1, 3-0 SoCon)

Power Rankings - Last week in ( )

1. (1) Furman (3-1, 1-0 SoCon)
Next: The Citadel (0-5, 0-2 SoCon)

2. (2) Western Carolina (4-1, 2-0SoCon)
Next: at Chattanooga (4-1, 3-0 SoCon)

3. (3) Chattanooga (4-1, 3-0 SoCon)
Next: Western Carolina (4-1, 2-0SoCon)

4. (4) Mercer (3-2, 1-1 SoCon)
Next: at ETSU (1-3, 0-1 SoCon)

5. (5) Samford (2-3, 1-2 SoCon)
Next: at Wofford (0-5, 0-2 SoCon)

6. (6) VMI (2-3, 1-1 SoCon)
Next: Bye

7. (7) ETSU (1-3, 0-1 SoCon)
Next: Mercer (3-2, 1-1 SoCon)

8. (9) Wofford (0-5, 0-2 SoCon)
Next: Samford (2-3, 1-2 SoCon)

9. (8) The Citadel (0-5, 0-2 SoCon)
Next: at Furman (3-1, 1-0 SoCon)

bonarae
October 1st, 2023, 09:15 PM
Samford
Furman
Mercer
WCU - toss-up maybe?

grizband
October 1st, 2023, 09:19 PM

1) FURMAN - The sleeping Paladins couldn't have dreamed of a better week off. Surely, Furman will be the consensus #3 Team in ALL Polls this week - just behind SDSU and MTST. With NDSU, HC, and W&M all losing FCS games to (pretty much) unranked Teams, that only leaves Furman and SDSU as Teams that were ranked very highly at the beginning of the season and are UNDEFEATED in FCS Football. Sure Idaho, SacSt, S. ILL, and UT-Martin have looked good and done admirable things, but there is no good reason to have an UNDEFEATED in FCS Furman Team slip behind those 3 Teams that have certainly earned promotions in their rankings...just not over a HIGHLY RANKED & UNDEFEATED in FCS Team. Furman is looking forward to a visit from the bellhops this week. The Men in Purple have a lot of baggage that need a-totin'

2a) Mercer - nothing at all shaky about Mercer's dominating win over VMI and that gets them promoted this week to the top of the "#2 List." Mauled 'em in all 3 phases. Opportunity this week to go to Johnson City and avenge the last second in the last game of the regular season loss that cost Mercer the 2021 SoCon Championship/SoCon AutoBid AND a Playoff berth altogether. Lost Star LB Isaac Dowling for the season against VMI, but FUBeAR believes other Bears will rise up.

2b) WCU - looked shaky early against a bad Team in Chucktown, but landed on their kitty-cat feet. BIG TEST on the road for the felines this week.

2c) CHATT - looked shaky until the latter stages against a bad Team in SparkleCity. BIG TEST at home for the SnakeBirds this week

5) Samford - with a shaky win over the LandLockedBucs, the HomewoodHounds barely stay out of the crowded cellar. Woffy was tough to shake for a Team that just whipped Samford. Can the pups keeps from falling down the stairs?

9a) ETSU
9b) VMI
9c) Wofford
9d) The Citadel[/QUOTE]
Just so you know, FUBear, Idaho is also undefeated against FCS competition. Right now, they are the two teams I'm considering for the #3 spot behind SDSU and MSU.

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 09:37 PM

1) FURMAN - The sleeping Paladins couldn't have dreamed of a better week off. Surely, Furman will be the consensus #3 Team in ALL Polls this week - just behind SDSU and MTST. With NDSU, HC, and W&M all losing FCS games to (pretty much) unranked Teams, that only leaves Furman and SDSU as Teams that were ranked very highly at the beginning of the season and are UNDEFEATED in FCS Football. Sure Idaho, SacSt, S. ILL, and UT-Martin have looked good and done admirable things, but there is no good reason to have an UNDEFEATED in FCS Furman Team slip behind those 3 Teams that have certainly earned promotions in their rankings...just not over a HIGHLY RANKED & UNDEFEATED in FCS Team. Furman is looking forward to a visit from the bellhops this week. The Men in Purple have a lot of baggage that need a-totin'

Just so you know, FUBear, Idaho is also undefeated against FCS competition. Right now, they are the two teams I'm considering for the #3 spot behind SDSU and MSU.

Yep...FUBeAR is all over it (see below)...

....and as you are contemplating your decision, be aware that Nevada is 0-5 this season, 0-15 in their last 15 games, and 0-2 to FCS Teams during that time span.

Stats Perform FCS Preseason Top 25 Poll

6. Furman, 1,035
8. Idaho, 932

2023 Preseason FCS Coaches’ Poll

Furman

Idaho

AGS Poll: Preseason 2023 Top 25 Results

Rank
Team
Total Points

Furman Paladins

Idaho Vandals

wcugrad95
October 1st, 2023, 10:51 PM
They are your power rankings so you are going to always do you @FUBeAR, but WCU looked shaky early against Citadel? I get the Bulldogs came out super-jacked emotionally and pulled out all the stops in the first 18 mins or so of play - they ran the honest-to-God wishbone (that I'd say we were not ready for), they did a trick play on a kickoff, they ended up trying flea-flickers, etc. WCU scored TDs on their first 5 posessions of the first half (35 -7 at the half) and if we left the starters in would have scored on every possesion we had the ball. Yes - it was 7-7 and Citadel coulda/shoulda/woulda been able to pull tied again at 14-all, but in the end Citadel had a total of 223 yards of offense and Western could have scored 80 if we wanted to.

That is like saying Mercer looked shaky early against VMI because it was 7-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Mercer got a 2-TD lead on VMI with 5:21 lef in the 1st half, while WCU got a 2-TD lead with 9:40 left in the first half. I guess Mercer was also shaky early???

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 11:42 PM
They are your power rankings so you are going to always do you @FUBeAR, but WCU looked shaky early against Citadel? I get the Bulldogs came out super-jacked emotionally and pulled out all the stops in the first 18 mins or so of play - they ran the honest-to-God wishbone (that I'd say we were not ready for), they did a trick play on a kickoff, they ended up trying flea-flickers, etc. WCU scored TDs on their first 5 posessions of the first half (35 -7 at the half) and if we left the starters in would have scored on every possesion we had the ball. Yes - it was 7-7 and Citadel coulda/shoulda/woulda been able to pull tied again at 14-all, but in the end Citadel had a total of 223 yards of offense and Western could have scored 80 if we wanted to.

That is like saying Mercer looked shaky early against VMI because it was 7-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Mercer got a 2-TD lead on VMI with 5:21 lef in the 1st half, while WCU got a 2-TD lead with 9:40 left in the first half. I guess Mercer was also shaky early???It would only be like saying Mercer looked shaky early against VMI if you want to be known as someone who says goofy things.

In the 1st 16 minutes of the WCU @ CIT game (these would commonly be know as "early" minutes), CIT scored 7 points against WCU's defense, gained well over 2x the amount of yardage that VMI had gained on Mercer during that same timeframe, AND crossed WCU's goal line 3x. The bellhops had only crossed their 1st 4 opponents’ goal lines a total of 2 times in 16 quarters…not 3x in just a few seconds over 1 quarter. <- These are shaky things. VMI never crossed Mercer's goal line the entire game.

Don't be goofy. It's not a good look for you. You're the most objective, rational, and sane poster carrying the torch for the catamounts. Never change.

wcugrad95
October 2nd, 2023, 07:48 AM
I'll give you Citadel caught us off guard on that initial drive. And then the trick play for the long kickoff return also caught us napping - but those kind of plays can either go huge or be busts against any team. My point was after Western showed that we were going to score every time we had the ball, I don't think there was any doubt to this game. So I'll give you the first drive and the trick play. At the same time, scoring when there was a flag on the play is kind of like saying a guy dropped a pass that should have been a TD. You saw those plays, but they actually don't count :)

caribbeanhen
October 2nd, 2023, 07:51 AM
Don’t tell me I missed the big VMI vs The Citadel game…

Mocs123
October 2nd, 2023, 08:03 AM
Samford -35 – The Terrier defense is pretty good, but their offense still can’t keep up with the Hatch Attack.
Wofford - 21

The Citadel -10
Furman – 48 – Beatdown of the Week - The Paladins roll against the Bulldogs at home.

Mercer – 35 – Can the Bucs build on last week and defend their home turf…..no, but they don’t go down without a fight.
ETSU - 21

Western Carolina - 28
Chattanooga -31 – Game of the Week – This is a toss-up game but it’s in Chattanooga so I’ll take the hometown Mocs by a field goal.

Power Rankings

Furman – Resting up for a “big” showdown this week vs. the Bulldogs.
Western Carolina – The Catamounts continue to impress.
Chattanooga – Escaped a trap game in Spartanburg.
Mercer - Took care of business against the Keydets.
Samford – Got their first D1 win against the Bucs.
ETSU – The Bucs actually showed signs of life this week.
VMI – The Keydets are ready for a week off.
Wofford – May not be as much of a lost cause as some people think.
The Citadel – Things are not well in the low country.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2023, 08:43 AM
I'll give you Citadel caught us off guard on that initial drive. And then the trick play for the long kickoff return also caught us napping - but those kind of plays can either go huge or be busts against any team. My point was after Western showed that we were going to score every time we had the ball, I don't think there was any doubt to this game. So I'll give you the first drive and the trick play. At the same time, scoring when there was a flag on the play is kind of like saying a guy dropped a pass that should have been a TD. You saw those plays, but they actually don't count :)

I gotta say that that throwback on a kickoff return was weird. First one I saw in long time. That it worked was equally weird. Had we not got a penalty on the run back, albeit a very weak penalty, it might have fired up the boys a bit more.

In general, our D is very weak. That our coach is supposed to be some sort of defensive guru doesn't bode well. Sure he did well as our DC last time around. Maybe he just doesn't have the right talent right now to do it like he wants to. But our D is sorely lacking right now. Even moreso since we have been ineffective on O and we have lost our TOP advantage. It's been a double whammy for our D. They have spent a lot of time on the field.

SU DOG
October 2nd, 2023, 08:50 AM
I just wonder how ETSU can even play this week. I mean they had so many injuries Saturday that it would seem they would be decimated. Most of their injury problems seemed to be on defense when Samford was driving. To their credit, they must have an incredible sideline medical group because after being helped off the field, those players were back 2-3 plays later as good as new. LOL!
Seriously, however, they are a much better team with Riddell back at QB. They played hard and did some good stuff vs our Dogs. Mercer should be good enough to take advantage of their young defense, however, and ETSU probably won't be able to stop their offense enough to win. Mercer should not take ETSU too lightly though.

SAMFORD
Furman
Mercer
Western

Milktruck74
October 2nd, 2023, 08:57 AM
I just wonder how ETSU can even play this week. I mean they had so many injuries Saturday that it would seem they would be decimated. Most of their injury problems seemed to be on defense when Samford was driving. To their credit, they must have an incredible sideline medical group because after being helped off the field, those players were back 2-3 plays later as good as new. LOL!
Seriously, however, they are a much better team with Riddell back at QB. They played hard and did some good stuff vs our Dogs. Mercer should be good enough to take advantage of their young defense, however, and ETSU probably won't be able to stop their offense enough to win. Mercer should not take ETSU too lightly though.

SAMFORD
Furman
Mercer
Western

I get the whole "slowing down" a Nascar offense by faking an injury, and sometimes it is just plain obvious what is going on. However, I will alway error on the side of the injured player truly being injured, because "what if I'm wrong" and even as a player (especially as a player) I HATED to see anyone injured, even opposing players.

That said, I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume the heat on saturday was impactful. Cramps can be debilitating and force a kid to be helped off the field, and with proper stretching, they can be back 2 or 3 plays later...now, is that what happened? maybe not, but...Saturday was rough across the entire south for a fall day.

wcugrad95
October 2nd, 2023, 09:12 AM
I didn't watch much of the ETSU vs Samford game so this is not in reference to that game. But I'd vote for if a player is impacted enough that he has to be helped off the field, that player should sit the rest of the series rather than a play or two. It can go both ways, as it would need to be the same for both sides of the ball, but something needs to be done. Seems harsh and I know this is being scrutinized more now, but in the past I have seen some teams (at all levels) starting to resemble a pro soccer squad with the number of fake injuries. I am a former player, and I want to give players the benefit of the doubt as well. But sometimes it is just blatantly obvious. The rules have already been changed that slows offenses down to let the D sub if the offense subs, but totally impacting a game to take the other team out of their tempo seems pretty unsportsmanlike to me.

SU DOG
October 2nd, 2023, 09:21 AM
I get the whole "slowing down" a Nascar offense by faking an injury, and sometimes it is just plain obvious what is going on. However, I will alway error on the side of the injured player truly being injured, because "what if I'm wrong" and even as a player (especially as a player) I HATED to see anyone injured, even opposing players.

That said, I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume the heat on saturday was impactful. Cramps can be debilitating and force a kid to be helped off the field, and with proper stretching, they can be back 2 or 3 plays later...now, is that what happened? maybe not, but...Saturday was rough across the entire south for a fall day.

Of course, you must side with the injured player in these situations, as the officials do, and I didn't mean to indicate otherwise. I certainly hope that none of these ETSU young men are hurt. I could be wrong, but it didn't look like cramps were the problem and my observation was that the slowdown tactic was in effect. It doesn't really matter now, and that is an often-used completely legal strategy against our type of offense. If that was the case it is still OK, and if not, again, I hope the injuries are minimal.

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 09:42 AM
You’re going to persist in being goofy, huh?

The question is not whether or not the game was in doubt. The question is, “Did WCU look shaky early?”

It doesn’t matter if CIT came out in the Single Wing and ran The Annexation of Puerto Rico play or line up in an A11 Formation and ran the Pell Mell play. Western Carolina’s Defense allowed the bellhops to cross their goal line ~6 minutes after kickoff. They did not cross anyone’s goal line this season until they had played 70 minutes of clock time and it took them ~170 minutes of clock time before they did it a 2nd time.

Allowing that 1st quarter TD alone to an Offense that has been totally inept prior to this game is enough to assess that the catamounts looked shaky early.

But then the bellhops crossed the goal line 2 more times in the next 10 minutes of clock time. Dropping a pass that does not score and having an outside agency make a ruling that overturns a score are most certainly not alike.

Trying to deny that allowing this CIT Team to drive the field and score a TD on their opening possession and then cross the goal 2 more times in the next 10 minutes is not “shaky” is just goofy. Stop it.

wcugrad95
October 2nd, 2023, 09:51 AM
You win Foobs - I think I even said I will give you the first drive and the trickeration leading to the second drive. I said on multiple boards WCU has to clean-up our assignment football on D. Our defense was shaky for a quarter but the offense clearly was not. I also expect Citadel to try and do lots of the same things going forward - they were not the same team in the first half I had seen in their other games. Much like Wofford, I like both school's new coaches and while I am not sure they have what they really need right now I expect them both to play a little better (or at least more inspired) football the rest of the season.

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 10:04 AM
I didn't watch much of the ETSU vs Samford game so this is not in reference to that game. But I'd vote for if a player is impacted enough that he has to be helped off the field, that player should sit the rest of the series rather than a play or two. It can go both ways, as it would need to be the same for both sides of the ball, but something needs to be done. Seems harsh and I know this is being scrutinized more now, but in the past I have seen some teams (at all levels) starting to resemble a pro soccer squad with the number of fake injuries. I am a former player, and I want to give players the benefit of the doubt as well. But sometimes it is just blatantly obvious. The rules have already been changed that slows offenses down to let the D sub if the offense subs, but totally impacting a game to take the other team out of their tempo seems pretty unsportsmanlike to me.
See…this is NOT goofy. This is PERFECT.

Well almost - FUBeAR would have used the term “possession” instead of “series.” NBD… but the rule should require any player that requires medical attention on the field, out of an abundance of caution for his health (both physical and mental), safety, and well-being is not allowed to return to play until his Team has either regained or lost possession of the football.

A couple of FAQ’s

What about a play where a team fumbles and the ball is picked up by the Defense who fumbles it back to the offense in the same play? Yep - change of possession occurred - previously on-field treated injured player(s) may return to the game

Won’t this encourage Teams to encourage injured Players to drag themselves off the field rather than ‘staying down’ risking more serious injuries to themselves? Think about it… ”Son, if you’re hurt…get up and get off the field, so you can go back in there sooner.” This makes no sense. Also, Medical Staffs should be required to report any such practices / directions / etc. - Coaches telling injured Players to do anything to risk further and/or more serious injury. If they aren’t already under NCAA rules (with lifetime ban as the penalty for NOT reporting) to do so, they should be.

AND…all y’all are correct. ETSU’s DC (assuming it’s the DC as it was rampant under the prior Head Coach as well) has taken this fake injury practice to a level that makes a mockery of the game of Football. SoCon Officials need to find some way to penalize them for it.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2023, 10:35 AM

1) FURMAN - The sleeping Paladins couldn't have dreamed of a better week off. Surely, Furman will be the consensus #3 Team in ALL Polls this week - just behind SDSU and MTST. With NDSU, HC, and W&M all losing FCS games to (pretty much) unranked Teams, that only leaves Furman and SDSU as Teams that were ranked very highly at the beginning of the season and are UNDEFEATED in FCS Football. Sure Idaho, SacSt, S. ILL, and UT-Martin have looked good and done admirable things, but there is no good reason to have an UNDEFEATED in FCS Furman Team slip behind those 3 Teams that have certainly earned promotions in their rankings...just not over a HIGHLY RANKED & UNDEFEATED in FCS Team. Furman is looking forward to a visit from the bellhops this week. The Men in Purple have a lot of baggage that needs a-totin'

9a) ETSU
9b) VMI
9c) Wofford
9d) The Citadel

FUBeAR, I do believe you have been hitting either the home brew or home distilled pretty hard this morning. xdrunkyx

Some Interesting SoCon FCS stats for this fine Monday morning.

Total Offense
#1 WCU - 26 TDs, 528 ypg
#18 Samford - 22, 431.8
#22 Chatt - 18, 423.6
#50 Furman - 16, 372.5
#78 Mercer - 14, 327.8
#100 ETSU - 9, 291.5
#108 VMI - 7, 265.6
#114 Wofford - 6, 246.2
#118 Citadel - 4, 226

Total Defense
#47 VMI - 12 Opp TDs, 355.5 ypg
#49 Chatt - 11, 357.8
#57 WCU - 14, 368
#61 Wofford, 12, 373.5
#74 ETSU - 16, 393.3
#80 Mercer, 18, 402
#92 Furman, 14, 404.8
#94 Samford, 17, 438.2
#118 Citadel, 22, 520.5

So, please explain how a 3-2 Mercer is above 4-1 Chattanooga and 4-1 WCU?

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 10:51 AM
FUBeAR, So, please explain how a 3-2 Mercer is above 4-1 Chattanooga and 4-1 WCU?
All 3 are ranked #2. Are you feeling insecure?

Maybe to help you with that emotional issue, we can look at a couple of WAY MORE SIMPLE FACTS - the kind that deal mostly with Wins & Losses.

* Chattanooga has not played an FBS Team. The Mocs future loss to Alabama will be on par with Mercer's loss to Ole Miss
* Chattanooga lost to North Alabama by double digits. Mercer beat North Alabama by double digits
* Chattanooga has not yet played FCS #3 in the FUBeAR Poll, Furman. The Mocs' future loss to Furman will be on par with Mercer's loss to Furman
* Chattanooga was shaky for about 55 of 60 minutes against a Team that just lost to VMI. Mercer DOMINATED VMI from the 1st play until the final whistle
* Western Carolina has not yet played FCS #3 in the FUBeAR Poll, Furman. The Catamounts' future loss to Furman will be on par with Mercer's loss to Furman
* Western Carolina was shaky early against what appears to be the worst Team, perhaps, by far, in the SoCon - Massey has CIT going 0-11

You feel more confident now, don't you?

wcugrad95
October 2nd, 2023, 11:03 AM
I think it sounds silly since we are 5-games in for most teams, but IMO we still have lots of questions about the power rankings. So many big games to come, but those questions will start getting answered quickly starting this week and next (WCU at UTC this week - Mercer hosting the Mocs next weekend). I don't have any qualms in saying all 4 of the top-teams are playoff-worthy at this stage and you could even lump them all together with Furman as #1 because they have already beaten Mercer. The beautiful thing is we will get to find out who the best team is in the SOCON unlike many of the other leagues.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2023, 11:25 AM
FUBeAR, I'm worried about you and still think you're hitting the home brew or home distilled hard today. Are you two fisting them??? So, as a concerned frienemy, here's a link for you to find help (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDk0eA8HaAg).

Predictions

Samford at Wofford - Hapless defense (Samford) vs hapless offense (Wofford). This could be an Wofford upset but I'll give a slight nod to Sammy for now.
The Citadel at Furman - Dins will have their way with the dawgs just like everyone else has so far
Mercer at ETSU - battle of the middle goes to....the Bucs
WCU at Chattanooga - two well matched teams duke it out but the better offense takes the day.

Power Rankings

1. FURMAN - Whipped the dawgs of Open Date but somehow still gave up nearly 405 yards on defense.
2. WCU - Coastal dogs tried old school Triple Option then backyard trickery to try to make it a fair fight. But better talent, coaching, execution and play calling won in a landslide.
3. CHATT - Were stymied by a solid defensive effort by the terriers but found a way to shake the ankle biters off.
4-tie. Samford - showing signs of life
Mercer - Some pride restored

6. VMI - here because 2 wins > 1 win
7. ETSU - here because 1 win < 2 wins
8. Wofford - Decent defense being let down by a hapless offense
9. The Citadel - Dreadful, awful, horrid, and probably glad they don't have a D2 or NAIA game on the schedule for further humiliation

FU_Paladin08
October 2nd, 2023, 01:44 PM
All 3 are ranked #2. Are you feeling insecure?

Maybe to help you with that emotional issue, we can look at a couple of WAY MORE SIMPLE FACTS - the kind that deal mostly with Wins & Losses.

* Chattanooga has not played an FBS Team. The Mocs future loss to Alabama will be on par with Mercer's loss to Ole Miss
* Chattanooga lost to North Alabama by double digits. Mercer beat North Alabama by double digits
* Chattanooga has not yet played FCS #3 in the FUBeAR Poll, Furman. The Mocs' future loss to Furman will be on par with Mercer's loss to Furman
* Chattanooga was shaky for about 55 of 60 minutes against a Team that just lost to VMI. Mercer DOMINATED VMI from the 1st play until the final whistle
* Western Carolina has not yet played FCS #3 in the FUBeAR Poll, Furman. The Catamounts' future loss to Furman will be on par with Mercer's loss to Furman
* Western Carolina was shaky early against what appears to be the worst Team, perhaps, by far, in the SoCon - Massey has CIT going 0-11

You feel more confident now, don't you?

“They’re all ranked #2” is a pretty big cop out. Just rank them. If you can’t use numbers then try emojis, or Roman numerals, or colors. You clearly have an order so remove the letters. It also seems really strange to consider future matchups in current rankings. I get it, but everything will sort itself out in the end. No need to over think it 5 weeks in.

1 - Furman
2 - Western
3 - Chatty
4 - Mercer
5 - Sammy
6 - VMI
7 - ETSU
8 - Citadel
9 - Woffy

Cit v FU
Sam v Woff
Mercer v ETSU
WCU v Chatt

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 02:01 PM
“They’re all ranked #2” is a pretty big cop out. Just rank them. If you can’t use numbers then try emojis, or Roman numerals, or colors. You clearly have an order so remove the letters. It also seems really strange to consider future matchups in current rankings. I get it, but everything will sort itself out in the end. No need to over think it 5 weeks in.
FUBeAR is all good with his rankings. Thanks for your unsolicited advice though.

FUBeAR assures he will act upon your advice in the full measure of its value.

FU_Paladin08
October 2nd, 2023, 02:54 PM
FUBeAR is all good with his rankings. Thanks for your unsolicited advice though.

FUBeAR assures he will act upon your advice in the full measure of its value.

Cool dude. I rank my reply 2a and yours 2b. Don’t worry they’re both still #2.

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 03:26 PM
Cool dude. I rank my reply 2a and yours 2b. Don’t worry they’re both still #2.
…and your #1 is/was?

FU_Paladin08
October 2nd, 2023, 04:53 PM
Wcugrad post #21 is my 1, but gotta give 1.2b to Catamount post #22. After very short consideration I give this post 1.2a.

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 06:58 PM
Wcugrad post #21 is my 1, but gotta give 1.2b to Catamount post #22. After very short consideration I give this post 1.2a.
Fair enough. Great stuff. Keep it coming.

chattownmocs
October 2nd, 2023, 07:08 PM
It seems like the players who actually have legitimate ligament injuries actually get up and limp off the field a lot of the time while the ones who come back after a play lay there helplessly.

BearDownMU
October 3rd, 2023, 10:12 AM
Interesting that this is true:

But 3 FCS wins is not > 1 FCS win. That gets you a tie at 4. ;)

Catamount87
October 3rd, 2023, 10:15 AM

So that post can be translated to 1-AA then?

Sir William
October 3rd, 2023, 10:37 AM
Samford over Wofford (in a close one)
Furman over The Citadel
Mercer over ETSU
W Carolina over Chattanooga (in another close one)

Power Rankings:

1) Furman
2) W Carolina
3) Mercer
4) Chattanooga
5) Samford
6) ETSU
7) VMI
8) Wofford
9) The Citadel

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2023, 10:40 AM
Interesting that this is true:

But 3 FCS wins is not > 1 FCS win. That gets you a tie at 4. ;)
Ahh...but you are overlooking the well-known (well-known to NC Mountain-folks, at least) Postulate or Theorem (whichever is applicable):

The privilege of having 1 Loss to a Kerwin Bell-Coached FCS Team is equal to 2 FCS Wins

As you are a Mercer Fan, FUBeAR understands why you may not have been aware of this concept as Mercer is 3-0 (AKA UNDEFEATED / AKA NEVER LOST) against Kerwin Bell-Coached FCS Teams...averaging whipping those Kerwin Bell-Coached Teams by 3 scores in those 3 woodsheddings...(by 4+ scores in the Bears' wins over the Kerwin Bell-Coached cantamounts)

wcugrad95
October 3rd, 2023, 11:15 AM
What happens when the SOCON has three or possibly four schools with 8+ wins? I actually expect we have at least 3 between FU, UTC, Mercer, and WCU. But there are crazy scenarios where four could happen.

As for the power rankings, I think Samford can get to 6 wins and if they find some of the magic from last season they could even get to 7 (or crazily even to 8). But records should matter so hard to have them anywhere other than #5 for me.

NOTE: I deleted all the other crazy scenario comments - it is too early in the season for that many "what-ifs"

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2023, 11:29 AM
Samford over Wofford (in a close one)
Furman over The Citadel
Mercer over ETSU
W Carolina over Chattanooga (in another close one)

Power Rankings:

1) Furman
2) W Carolina
3) Mercer
4) Chattanooga
5) Samford
6) ETSU
7) VMI
8) Wofford
9) The Citadel
Y’know…you don’t have to be afraid of ranking Mercer ahead of WCU just because the Paladins are past Mercer, but the cantamounts still lie ahead. The boyz in the right color of purple will have your back.

Live your truth, Sir William!

The Cats
October 3rd, 2023, 12:07 PM
Want to know why Furman is ranked so high in the Stats and coaches poll? They play with only 7 players from the great state of South Carolina. For those that are geography impaired, Furman is located in the state of South Carolina. xeyebrowx

Before you ask, WCU plays with 45 from the 'old North State, and about an equal number from the Sunshine State...

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2023, 01:35 PM
Want to know why Furman is ranked so high in the Stats and coaches poll? They play with only 7 players from the great state of South Carolina. For those that are geography impaired, Furman is located in the state of South Carolina. xeyebrowx

Before you ask, WCU plays with 45 from the 'old North State, and about an equal number from the Sunshine State...
For more of this hard-hitting, relevant, in-depth, critical Football analysis, let's drill down...

Western Carolina University (WCU) is a campus in the University of North Carolina (UNC) system. WCU is a public university. North Carolina taxpayers provide 5% of WCU's budget annually. Other government entities provide 70% of WCU's budget annually. WCU is an "NC Promise" campus, which means that the state of North Carolina funds tuition for in-state students who meet certain academic requirements. In this academic year, WCU's in-state tuition and fees are 53% of out-of-state tuition and fees.

Furman University (FU) is a private liberal arts college. Furman University is funded by a combination of tuition, fees, endowments, and private donations. The university does not receive any direct funding from the state of South Carolina nor any other state or government entity. Furman University is a national liberal arts college. According to U.S. News and World Report, Furman is ranked 46th out of 211 national liberal arts colleges and universities. Furman is also ranked fifth among national liberal arts colleges in the South.

Rank
# of FU Players Home State
STATE
# of WCU Players Home State
Rank

AL
5T

10T
CA
n/a

FL

GA
3T

12T
Germany
n/a

12T
ID
n/a

12T
IL
n/a

12T
IN
n/a

10T
KY
n/a

12T
LA
n/a

12T
MI
n/a

NC

n/a
NE
8T

12T
NJ
n/a

12T
NY
n/a

OH
n/a

12T
PA
n/a

SC
3T

TN
5T

TX

VA
8T

129 from 19 States & 1 INTL
Total Players
123 from 9 States

n/a
Players from outside State of Primary Funding Sources

n/a
% of Players from outside State of Primary Funding Sources
63.4%

Can we return to Football now?

Hey - How 'bout that Cole Gonzales?

If FUBeAR hears or sees any National FCS Pundit, this week, praising ANY of the other 19 'other' QB names below without typing or uttering the phrase, "With all due respect to Nationally Top Ranked QB, Western Carolina's Cole Gonzales, of the SoCon..." before they mention these 'others,' FUBeAR will be making a note of their transgressions...and, well....you know how that phrase goes that ends in ... "find out."

PASSING EFFICIENCY
Last updated Sunday, October 01, 2023 3:28 am - Through games Saturday, September 30, 2023

RANK
NAME
TEAM
PASS ATT
PASS COM
INT
PASS YDS
PASS TD
PASS EFF

Cole Gonzales
Western Caro. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=western-caro)

Not #1
Matthew Sluka
Holy Cross (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=holy-cross)

Not #1
Mark Gronowski
South Dakota St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=south-dakota-st)

Not #1
Hajj-Malik Williams
Campbell (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=campbell)

Not #1
Jacob Clark
Missouri St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=missouri-st)

Not #1
Zach Calzada
UIW (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=uiw)

Not #1
Cam Miller
North Dakota St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=north-dakota-st)

Not #1
Aidan Bouman
South Dakota (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=south-dakota)

Not #1
Nic Baker
Southern Ill. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=southern-ill)

Not #1
Mike DiLiello
Austin Peay (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=austin-peay)

Not #1
Kasim Hill
Rhode Island (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=rhode-island)

Not #1
Kaiden Bennett
Sacramento St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=sacramento-st)

Not #1
Gevani McCoy
Idaho (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=idaho)

Not #1
Tommy Schuster
North Dakota (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=north-dakota)

Not #1
Max Brosmer
New Hampshire (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=new-hampshire)

Not #1
Will McElvain
Central Ark. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=central-ark)

Not #1
Theo Day
UNI (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=uni)

Not #1
Paxton DeLaurent
Southeast Mo. St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=southeast-mo-st)

Not #1
Connor Watkins
Villanova (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=villanova)

Not #1
Parker McKinney
Eastern Ky. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=eastern-ky)

wcugrad95
October 3rd, 2023, 02:16 PM
I like your #1 QB!

The Cats
October 3rd, 2023, 03:25 PM
For more of this hard-hitting, relevant, in-depth, critical Football analysis, let's drill down...

Western Carolina University (WCU) is a campus in the University of North Carolina (UNC) system. WCU is a public university. North Carolina taxpayers provide 5% of WCU's budget annually. Other government entities provide 70% of WCU's budget annually. WCU is an "NC Promise" campus, which means that the state of North Carolina funds tuition for in-state students who meet certain academic requirements. In this academic year, WCU's in-state tuition and fees are 53% of out-of-state tuition and fees.

Furman University (FU) is a private liberal arts college. Furman University is funded by a combination of tuition, fees, endowments, and private donations. The university does not receive any direct funding from the state of South Carolina nor any other state or government entity. Furman University is a national liberal arts college. According to U.S. News and World Report, Furman is ranked 46th out of 211 national liberal arts colleges and universities. Furman is also ranked fifth among national liberal arts colleges in the South.

Rank
# of FU Players Home State
STATE
# of WCU Players Home State
Rank

AL
5T

10T
CA
n/a

FL

GA
3T

12T
Germany
n/a

12T
ID
n/a

12T
IL
n/a

12T
IN
n/a

10T
KY
n/a

12T
LA
n/a

12T
MI
n/a

NC

n/a
NE
8T

12T
NJ
n/a

12T
NY
n/a

OH
n/a

12T
PA
n/a

SC
3T

TN
5T

TX

VA
8T

129 from 19 States & 1 INTL
Total Players
123 from 9 States

n/a
Players from outside State of Primary Funding Sources

n/a
% of Players from outside State of Primary Funding Sources
63.4%

Can we return to Football now?

Hey - How 'bout that Cole Gonzales?

If FUBeAR hears or sees any National FCS Pundit, this week, praising ANY of the other 19 'other' QB names below without typing or uttering the phrase, "With all due respect to Nationally Top Ranked QB, Western Carolina's Cole Gonzales, of the SoCon..." before they mention these 'others,' FUBeAR will be making a note of their transgressions...and, well....you know how that phrase goes that ends in ... "find out."

PASSING EFFICIENCY
Last updated Sunday, October 01, 2023 3:28 am - Through games Saturday, September 30, 2023

RANK
NAME
TEAM
PASS ATT
PASS COM
INT
PASS YDS
PASS TD
PASS EFF

Cole Gonzales
Western Caro. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=western-caro)

Not #1
Matthew Sluka
Holy Cross (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=holy-cross)

Not #1
Mark Gronowski
South Dakota St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=south-dakota-st)

Not #1
Hajj-Malik Williams
Campbell (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=campbell)

Not #1
Jacob Clark
Missouri St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=missouri-st)

Not #1
Zach Calzada
UIW (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=uiw)

Not #1
Cam Miller
North Dakota St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=north-dakota-st)

Not #1
Aidan Bouman
South Dakota (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=south-dakota)

Not #1
Nic Baker
Southern Ill. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=southern-ill)

Not #1
Mike DiLiello
Austin Peay (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=austin-peay)

Not #1
Kasim Hill
Rhode Island (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=rhode-island)

Not #1
Kaiden Bennett
Sacramento St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=sacramento-st)

Not #1
Gevani McCoy
Idaho (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=idaho)

Not #1
Tommy Schuster
North Dakota (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=north-dakota)

Not #1
Max Brosmer
New Hampshire (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=new-hampshire)

Not #1
Will McElvain
Central Ark. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=central-ark)

Not #1
Theo Day
UNI (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=uni)

Not #1
Paxton DeLaurent
Southeast Mo. St. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=southeast-mo-st)

Not #1
Connor Watkins
Villanova (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=villanova)

Not #1
Parker McKinney
Eastern Ky. (https://www.ncaa.com/schools?school=eastern-ky)

What's all that got to do with Furman only having 7 players from the state of South Carolina? Nothing.

You like to call Western Carolina the team from Florida, I'm just pointing that Furman is the team from "anywhere" but South Carolina...

SU DOG
October 3rd, 2023, 03:43 PM
Hiers will soon be on that list or should he already be? The Auburn game is hurting his numbers right now, but I think the numbers will drastically rise with the remaining schedule. Auburn had 2 interceptions and held Michael to only a 58% completion stat. Right now, he is at 142 completions on 198 attempts, 71.72 comp. %, 1529 total yards with 9 TDs for 305.8 yds/gm and a rating of 145.52. Those are some pretty good numbers for right now even. Samford's second-best receiver (arguably so, but an outstanding one) D J Rias has not played since the Auburn game. I agree that Gonzales has been spectacular and wish him the best of luck. I just warn you that Michael Hiers is not one to be overlooked the rest of the season.

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2023, 04:28 PM
What's all that got to do with Furman only having 7 players from the state of South Carolina? Nothing.

You like to call Western Carolina the team from Florida, I'm just pointing that Furman is the team from "anywhere" but South Carolina...
95 can explain it to you. He has good sense…musta been the “2 Years a Paladin” grew on him.

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2023, 04:38 PM
Hiers will soon be on that list or should he already be? The Auburn game is hurting his numbers right now, but I think the numbers will drastically rise with the remaining schedule. Auburn had 2 interceptions and held Michael to only a 58% completion stat. Right now, he is at 142 completions on 198 attempts, 71.72 comp. %, 1529 total yards with 9 TDs for 305.8 yds/gm and a rating of 145.52. Those are some pretty good numbers for right now even. Samford's second-best receiver (arguably so, but an outstanding one) D J Rias has not played since the Auburn game. I agree that Gonzales has been spectacular and wish him the best of luck. I just warn you that Michael Hiers is not one to be overlooked the rest of the season.Jeez - might have to put 95 to work on you also.

That list of QB’s is a list of QB’s that FUBeAR hears & sees these National Pundits raving about each and every week ad infinitum … while they ignore #1 Gonzales AND the 3 other SoCon QB’s in the Top 35 - Hiers from Samford, Artopoeus from Chatt, and Peevy from Mercer.

4 SoCon QB’s in the Top 35 and FUBeAR wouldn’t trade FU’s QB, Tyler Huff, for all 4 of them or for any other 8 Non-SoCon QB’s in the Top 35. Probably the deepest group of truly outstanding QB’s of any Conference in FCS … but they hardly get mentioned by the super-smart National FCS media.

SU DOG
October 3rd, 2023, 04:45 PM
Got it now - I should have read more carefully and completely agree about the SoCon QBs.

wcugrad95
October 3rd, 2023, 05:59 PM
The SOCON set of QBs are really good - and they also match what each team is trying to do. Hiers is the go-to for Samford, Huff is the emotional leader and the guy who gets FU yards and first downs when they need them, Chase has been the trigger-man the Mocs have been missing for awhile, and Gonzalez is playing point guard and taking what defenses give him that is a perfect fit for Kerwin Bell’s offense.

Not sure any of them excel if they moved to one of the other programs. Hiers is probably the best pure QB and he would do fine at UTC or WCU. But they are all playing at a top level.

kdinva
October 4th, 2023, 07:47 AM
The SOCON set of QBs are really good - .

I don't know, Ironside @ VMI seems slower this year, getting sacked more often, like he put on 10 pounds or something. He's not as mobile as Morgan or Al Cobb.

wcugrad95
October 4th, 2023, 08:01 AM
I was primarily taking about the 4 guys being brought up. We didn’t even include Peevy in a lot of that, but I think he is a pretty good fit for Mercer as well. If 1/2 the schools in the conference have really good QBs (not just ok or average ones), that is pretty impressive to me.

But I also get what you are saying about Ironside. VMI has had some struggles on offense. Tough to compare him to Cobb though - that guy was a baller and really good athlete.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2023, 08:13 AM
I don't know, Ironside @ VMI seems slower this year, getting sacked more often, like he put on 10 pounds or something. He's not as mobile as Morgan or Al Cobb.
Listed @ 6-2 205 all 4 years on the VMI roster and he’s not carrying any extra weight in his face that FUBeAR can note -> https://vmikeydets.com/sports/football/roster/collin-ironside/7358 (see “Historical” tab)- He was listed at 6-1 175 as a HS Recruit, though didn’t see where he was announced as a signee with VMI - think he was a late add - which would have probably included a ht/wt.

Anyway…FUBeAR thinks it just the white helmet making him look slower. That’s been part of Furman’s plan since 1978. Everyone thought FUBeAR was a 5.2 40 guy, but it was the helmet…FUBeAR was a 4.7 burner!

SU DOG
October 4th, 2023, 09:34 AM
Maybe slightly off topic here, but somewhat relative. Yesterday a story by Clint Brewster came out in 247Sports concerning WCU's fine RB Desmond Reid. I won't try to link because it is a pay to read, but I read enough to be infuriated by the content. The article was all about the probability that Reid will bolt through the Portal for greener pastures by next season. It indicated that a P5 team would see the possibilities of his talent to help strengthen their roster. While this may be a definite possibility, the timing of this is certainly an example of very shoddy journalism. Many of the replies on Twitter made that point clear, as this writer was condemned over and over. As was also pointed out, it showed a lack of respect for Western Carolina and even FCS Football. SHAMEFUL!

Mocs123
October 4th, 2023, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately, that's a fear that I think all FCS teams have for All-Conference type players in today's environment.

wcugrad95
October 4th, 2023, 11:17 AM
We have a thread about it on our board. My response there was:

We should expect to hear this kind of thing. Desmond has not transferred, still has a redshirt year, and is proving that big schools made a mistake in not taking a chance on him (most I am sure were worried about his size). I would expect him to stay next year but then who knows after that. FCS schools on one hand are benefiting from more high school talent not getting the big school offers and signing with us, but obviously losing out on the other end when guys prove themselves and get offers as JRs and SRs. I think Coach Bell is doing all he can to build depth and competition at as many positions as he can and we’ll no doubt lose really good players at some point. Schools like us will have to take on a next man up mentality (with kids like Adams and Townsend stepping in).

But if Desmond Reid is on this forum, I’d say stick around and see how good this thing can get. You can get drafted from WCU as the featured back with 200+ carries a year, or you can hope to be a starter at an FBS school where you have to start over and maybe you’ll get 10 carries a game. Reid is that good, so let’s all appreciate him for however long we have him.

I am not a Twitter/X kind of guy, but there was also this good post from Kevin Sweeney:
​https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/1709369850978595255?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1709369850978595255%7Ctwgr% 5E9d6c71fbad1dfba01ff0459f7bbc4695fb7cab62%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcatamount.boards.net%2Fthrea d%2F14819%2Fdesmond-reid

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately, that's a fear that I think all FCS teams have for All-Conference type players in today's environment.

Do you think that Teams which heavily rely on the Portal to build their Teams (y'all know who you are) should 'fear' losing Players to the Portal more, less, or the same as Teams that tend to very selectively use the Portal to fill a few critical roster spots?

And, another, slightly different way of asking that question is...In short, is culture still a thing? More explicitly, can FCS Teams build a culture by creating an (all-around) environment where young men WANT to stay there for 4 or 5 years, benefit from staying there for 4 or 5 years, and by only recruiting HS Players that believe (as 17 year olds) that they DO want to be there for 4 or 5 years and understand the expectation is that they will want to, and will stay there for 4 or 5 years.

Or...nah....FUBeAR....it's all about NIL and the Portal now ... highest bidders get the best Players and your Roster each year is just a bunch of dudes using your school's laundry for a few months. If you ain't doin' that, have fun with your 0-11.

Cuz...if that last thing is the answer.... FUBeAR is out.

wcugrad95
October 4th, 2023, 11:29 AM
At WCU it is probably evolving. There is absolutely no doubt Bell turned the whole thing upside-down with 100 of the 120 guys being brought in since he got here 3 years ago. Of course in Western's case we needed to shake the whole thing up. Now I think Bell is trying to build a culture that is focused on stiff competition and winning. And of course he is pumping in a lot of FL kids to help with both of those to go along with a large contingent of in-state players. We'll see how long it works - WCU could be in a position where we have to worry about both our players and our coaches getting bigger and better offers in the next couple of years. But right now I think Bell is happy and the pipeline of kids we have seem to want to be here in the program under him.

But of course check back with me in 3 or 4 years - the college football landscape has changed so much so fast who knows what the last half of this decade might bring.

SU DOG
October 4th, 2023, 11:42 AM
These tangent questions are good, but I have no answer for them. I reiterate my purpose for posting about this article is that the TIMING is disrespectful and an example of shoddy journalism. If I was a Catamount, I would be totally enraged. IMO, the writer could have considered that this kid is in the middle of a season that can be remarkable for himself and his team.

BearDownMU
October 4th, 2023, 12:32 PM
Hiers will soon be on that list or should he already be? The Auburn game is hurting his numbers right now, but I think the numbers will drastically rise with the remaining schedule. Auburn had 2 interceptions and held Michael to only a 58% completion stat. Right now, he is at 142 completions on 198 attempts, 71.72 comp. %, 1529 total yards with 9 TDs for 305.8 yds/gm and a rating of 145.52. Those are some pretty good numbers for right now even. Samford's second-best receiver (arguably so, but an outstanding one) D J Rias has not played since the Auburn game. I agree that Gonzales has been spectacular and wish him the best of luck. I just warn you that Michael Hiers is not one to be overlooked the rest of the season.

Hang on a sec... Let me preface by saying I think Hiers is a helluva player, but I don't know what about his play THIS YEAR makes it look like he's on the rise. You could certainly say that projecting on what we saw last year, but here are his number so far this year.

Date
Opponent
PASSING
RUSHING

CMP-ATT
YDS
TD
INT
ATT
YDS
TD

08/31/2023
Shorter (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12696&path=football)
28- 35

09/09/2023
Western Caro. (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12674&path=football)
21- 34

09/16/2023
Auburn (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12697&path=football)
18- 31

09/23/2023
Chattanooga (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12675&path=football)
33- 48

09/30/2023
ETSU (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12676&path=football)
42- 50

I mean, he has certainly completed a lot of passes for a lot of yards, but 1 TD/2 INT for 3 weeks straight isn't exactly a positive trend line. Also, if we are going to "eliminate" games from consideration like Auburn, you also have to eliminate Shorter IMO which eats 375 yards and 60% of his TD production for the year.

Again, not a Hiers hater at all (really like him actually), but I've watched all your games and he doesn't look the same.

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2023, 12:37 PM
Hang on a sec... Let me preface by saying I think Hiers is a helluva player, but I don't know what about his play THIS YEAR makes it look like he's on the rise. You could certainly say that projecting on what we saw last year, but here are his number so far this year.

Date
Opponent
PASSING
RUSHING

CMP-ATT
YDS
TD
INT
ATT
YDS
TD

08/31/2023
Shorter (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12696&path=football)
28- 35

09/09/2023
Western Caro. (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12674&path=football)
21- 34

09/16/2023
Auburn (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12697&path=football)
18- 31

09/23/2023
Chattanooga (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12675&path=football)
33- 48

09/30/2023
ETSU (https://samfordsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12676&path=football)
42- 50

I mean, heas certian completed a lot of passes for a lot of yards, bit 1 TD/2 INT for 3 weeks straight isn't exactly a positive trend line. Also, if we are going to "eliminate" games from consideration like Auburn, you also have to eliminate Shorter IMO which eats 375 and 60% of his TD production for the year.

Again, not a Hiers hater at all (really like hime actually), but I've watched all your games and he doesn't look the same.

I had the same impression but have only seen a few series of play

SU DOG
October 4th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Yeah, you can make a good case that he isn't on par with last year. I'm hoping he has found his rhythm and has adjusted to so many new WRs that he is dealing with. He left the Shorter game in the middle of the 3rd quarter BTW, or he could have really padded those stats there. It is speculation on my part that he will be better when Rias gets back and heading into the remainder of the schedule. I think he still has the potential to explode against any opponent. As they say, time will tell.

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2023, 01:30 PM
We have a thread about it on our board. My response there was:

We should expect to hear this kind of thing. Desmond has not transferred, still has a redshirt year, and is proving that big schools made a mistake in not taking a chance on him (most I am sure were worried about his size). I would expect him to stay next year but then who knows after that. FCS schools on one hand are benefiting from more high school talent not getting the big school offers and signing with us, but obviously losing out on the other end when guys prove themselves and get offers as JRs and SRs. I think Coach Bell is doing all he can to build depth and competition at as many positions as he can and we’ll no doubt lose really good players at some point. Schools like us will have to take on a next man up mentality (with kids like Adams and Townsend stepping in).

But if Desmond Reid is on this forum, I’d say stick around and see how good this thing can get. You can get drafted from WCU as the featured back with 200+ carries a year, or you can hope to be a starter at an FBS school where you have to start over and maybe you’ll get 10 carries a game. Reid is that good, so let’s all appreciate him for however long we have him.

I am not a Twitter/X kind of guy, but there was also this good post from Kevin Sweeney:
​https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/1709369850978595255?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1709369850978595255%7Ctwgr% 5E9d6c71fbad1dfba01ff0459f7bbc4695fb7cab62%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcatamount.boards.net%2Fthrea d%2F14819%2Fdesmond-reid

There was a ton of speculation last season that Ford was going to bolt, but he stuck around because he is SOLD on being a Moc. I think Bryce Nunnley is the poster child for NOT leaving the Mocs program....HE was sold a bill of goods about how great he would be at a G5 and how he would get a shot at playing against a higher level...well, he got there and got stuck behind a bunch of guys...and didn't even get a look from scouts. So...Desmond has a choice to make, but the grass isn't always greener!!!

wcugrad95
October 4th, 2023, 01:34 PM
If you throw out the Auburn and Shorter games, Hiers is still connecting on nearly 73% of his passes and nearly 338 yards/game against 3 SOCON teams. That is obviously crazy production, but as BearDown pointed out it is the turnovers that are so unexpected. As SU DOG points out, some of that could be due to the WRs he is throwing to. I know at WCU in Bell's first season we saw that - the QB and the WRs were not on the same page the first 1/2 of the year. I also think some of the struggles are due to O-line play. The guys up front have not protected him like they did last year. Samford also seemingly got all the bounces in 2022 and have gotten few in 2023.

kdinva
October 5th, 2023, 09:02 AM
Samford 35; at Wofford 19
The Citadel 14 at Furman 46
Mercer 28 at East Tennessee State 24
Western Carolina 42 at Chattanooga 28

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2023, 09:49 AM

Mercer 28 at East Tennessee State 24 - That's a little. Were you not impressed with the Bears last Saturday?

Western Carolina 42 at Chattanooga 28 - That's a lot. With the Mocs having HFA, that's a 3 score win. Chatt's D ain't the same as The Citadel's or Samford's...or Charleston Southern's...or EKU's.

Scoring Defense

SoCon / NCAA Rank
Team
G
TD
FG
XPT
2XP
SAF
PTS
AVG/G

1 / 21
Chattanooga (https://soconsports.com/teamstats.aspx?path=football&year=2023&school=utc)

7 / 91
Samford (https://soconsports.com/teamstats.aspx?path=football&year=2023&school=samford)

n/a / 102
Charleston Southern

n/a / 110
Eastern Kentucky

9 / 122
The Citadel (https://soconsports.com/teamstats.aspx?path=football&year=2023&school=citadel)

kdinva
October 5th, 2023, 10:03 AM
VMI's defensive effort helped Mercer to their TD's and yardage, plus another mercer punt return for 6.

SCPALADIN
October 5th, 2023, 10:08 AM

I've spent way too much time trying to figure out the combination of scoring plays that could result in 46 points xchinscratchxxlolx

Sir William
October 5th, 2023, 10:21 AM
I've spent way too much time trying to figure out the combination of scoring plays that could result in 46 points xchinscratchxxlolx

6 TDs and 2 safeties?
4 TDs and 6 FGs?
6 TDs (one with 2PC) and a FG?

Ok, that's enough math for one morning.

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2023, 10:47 AM
VMI's defensive effort helped Mercer to their TD's and yardage, plus another mercer punt return for 6.

Scoring Defense

Rank
Team
G
TD
FG
XPT
2XP
DXP
SAF
PTS
AVG/G

VMI (https://soconsports.com/teamstats.aspx?path=football&year=2023&school=vmi)

ETSU (https://soconsports.com/teamstats.aspx?path=football&year=2023&school=etsu)

Total Defense

Index
Team
G
RUSH
PASS
PLAYS
YDS
AVG/P
TD
AVG/G

VMI (https://soconsports.com/teamstats.aspx?path=football&year=2023&school=vmi)

ETSU (https://soconsports.com/teamstats.aspx?path=football&year=2023&school=etsu)

Same guy gonna be runnin' 'em back vs. the Bucs in Johnson City that was runnin' back vs. the Keydets in Maconga. He's pretty good at it.

Punt Returns

SoCon / NCAA Rank
Player
G
NO
YDS
TD
LONG
AVG

1 / 5
Harper,Devron (Mercer)

Catamount87
October 5th, 2023, 11:42 AM

7 TDs but miss 3 extra points

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2023, 12:01 AM
FUBeAR's SoCon Picks

Saturday, October 7

Away
Home
Time
What's it gonna be?

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2023/5/30/Terriers_StackedWHITE.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
FUBeAR has been watching both of these Teams closely. One is playing pretty bad fundamentally and trending almost imperceptibly down in that regard. The other has been improving in their fundamentals and they really don’t look too bad, all things considered. Have we reached the point of the season where those important trend lines cross? FUBeAR thinks we have. In a SHOCKER!

FINAL SCORE: Wofford 24 - Samford 23

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
2P
Opposite of a shocker. Coach Hendrix’ better nature is the MVP in this one.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 49 - The Citadel 6

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
Mercer’s Players had their hearts broken in their last visit to Johnson City and the Bears have never won East (or West…whichever) of the Cumberland Gap. Funny thing is FUBeAR was listening to ETSU’s media peeps recently and they seemed to think Mercer’s Players really were focused on avenging that 2021 loss last season when the Bears hung more than half a hundred on ‘em in maconga. BUT…FUBeAR heard Bear after Bear this week talking about the feeling they felt in Greene Stadium their last visit and a debt that has yet to be paid for them enduring those feelings. Never heard the typically very nice Mercer kids talk this way. They are expecting to go up there and open a can. FUBeAR thinks they have all the tools they need to get that done.

FINAL SCORE: Mercer 40 - ETSU 15

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
4P
FUBeAR’s initial thoughts on this game…easy peasy…WCU 35 Chatt 23 … but as he’s pondered on this game, watched some replays of both Teams, and studied the Schedules / Results / Stats for both Teams. There is no denying how good WCU’s Gonazales, Reid, and OL has looked, but they’ve only faced 1 decent Defense…Arkansas (who whipped ‘em). The next best D has been Samford (NCAA Rank #91)…and it ain’t often that the phrase “best D” and Samford share a paragraph, much less the same sentence. The average ranking of the 4 FCS D’s WCU has played is 106. Chatt’s D is #21. The Mocs won’t stop Reid, but they will contain better than any other FCS D has. And the Moc D-Front will use their athleticism to challenge WCU’s OL like they have not been challenged since ARK. FUBeAR remembers WCU’s QB play against ARK was not good. FUBeAR thinks the Mocs D can make this game less fun for the Catamounts O and we know that Chatt O is gonna do every they can to make life no fun for the WCU front. FUBeAR thinks the more physical Team with the better D playing at home is gonna find a way to eke this one out..which sux for the SoCon…but that’s the SoCon way…

FINAL SCORE: WCU 35 - Chatt 23 (not)… Chattanooga 21 - WCU 20

FUBeAR's SoCon Power Rankings

9a) ETSU
9b) VMI
9c) Wofford
9d) The Citadel

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2023, 06:36 AM
FUBeAR's SoCon Picks

Saturday, October 7

Away
Home
Time
What's it gonna be?

FUBeAR has been watching both of these Teams closely. One is playing pretty bad fundamentally and trending almost imperceptibly down in that regard. The other has been improving in their fundamentals and they really don’t look too bad, all things considered. Have we reached the point of the season where those important trend lines cross? FUBeAR thinks we have. In a SHOCKER!

2P

Mercer’s Players had their hearts broken in their last visit to Johnson City and the Bears have never won East (or West…whichever) of the Cumberland Gap. Funny thing is FUBeAR was listening to ETSU’s media peeps recently and they seemed to think Mercer’s Players really were focused on avenging that 2021 loss last season when the Bears hung more than half a hundred on ‘em in maconga. BUT…FUBeAR heard Bear after Bear this week talking about the feeling they felt in Greene Stadium their last visit and a debt that has yet to be paid for them enduring those feelings. Never heard the typically very nice Mercer kids talk this way. They are expecting to go up there and open a can. FUBeAR thinks they have all the tools they need to get that done.

4P
FUBeAR’s initial thoughts on this game…easy peasy…WCU 35 Chatt 23 … but as he’s pondered on this game, watched some replays of both Teams, and studied the Schedules / Results / Stats for both Teams. There is no denying how good WCU’s Gonazales, Reid, and OL has looked, but they’ve only faced 1 decent Defense…Arkansas (who whipped ‘em). The next best D has been Samford (NCAA Rank #91)…and it ain’t often that the phrase “best D” and Samford share a paragraph, much less the same sentence. The average ranking of the 4 FCS D’s WCU has played is 106. Chatt’s D is #21. The Mocs won’t stop Reid, but they will contain better than any other FCS D has. And the Moc D-Front will use their athleticism to challenge WCU’s OL like they have not been challenged since ARK. FUBeAR remembers WCU’s QB play against ARK was not good. FUBeAR thinks the Mocs D can make this game less fun for the Catamounts O and we know that Chatt O is gonna do every they can to make life no fun for the WCU front. FUBeAR thinks the more physical Team with the better D playing at home is gonna find a way to eke this one out..which sux for the SoCon…but that’s the SoCon way…

9a) ETSU
9b) VMI
9c) Wofford
9d) The Citadel

1. I didn't pick Woffy over Sammy, but I would not be surprised if that were to happen. I see the same trend lines, at least the upward trend for Woffy. They have some DL that can get after it. They have some DBs that do the same. Their QB looked really poised (at times) against the Mocs last week. They may still be a few weeks away, but they are definitely getting there.

2. My Mocs D is very good. Yeah, there is not a Devanshe Maxwell on the line with a Ty Boeck behind him...but the guys that stepped into those roles are have done a pretty good job. I do think this game is won on Defense this week.

Here is an algorithm based on nothing that is completely worthless...but I think it is a predictor of the score differential...

Basically give +5 for any defensive score, +3 for turnovers, +2 for sacks, +1 for QBHs, +1 for PBUs, and a 10% kicker for the team that wins the TOP battle. I'll look really smart on Saturday evening, or not.

ElCid
October 6th, 2023, 07:49 AM
6 TDs and 2 safeties?
4 TDs and 6 FGs?
6 TDs (one with 2PC) and a FG?

Ok, that's enough math for one morning.

For 46, most likely, is 6 TDs (42), a missed XP(41), a missed 2PT try, to try and get it back, (40) and 2 FGs (46).

wcugrad95
October 6th, 2023, 10:46 AM
Or 23 safeties :)

Catamount87
October 6th, 2023, 11:25 AM
FUBeAR's SoCon Picks

Saturday, October 7

Away
Home
Time
What's it gonna be?

2P

4P

Well said across the board. Some thoughts and observations for discussion.

Samford - Some of the defensive play calling has been curious to say the least, especially in the WCU game. Their tackling, well really, their efforts at tackling could at times be called lazy. If I were a Samford fan, this might be high on my list of concerns.

Wofford - Defensively, they seem to be coming around with execution. They definitely held their own against Chatt and kept themselves in contention. Offensively, wow at times they've look hapless, especially against Chatt. I think we'll be hearing a lot of woulda/coulda/shoulda from Wofford fans. That said, I will put them down as the 2023 spoiler team. They will beat someone and ruin that someone's season. I just hope it isn't my Catamounts and you best hope it isn't your Bears.

MSUBobcat
October 6th, 2023, 12:02 PM
FUBeAR's SoCon Picks

Saturday, October 7

Away
Home
Time
What's it gonna be?

2P

4P

9a) ETSU
9b) VMI
9c) Wofford
9d) The Citadel

Idaho would like a word about your criteria - the Vandals were highly ranked at the beginning of the season (#10 in AGS) and is 3-0 in FCS (@ Lamar, vs ranked Sac State, @ ranked EWU), as well as 1-1 vs FBS (thumped Nevada, lost to Cal).

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2023, 12:21 PM
Idaho would like a word about your criteria - the Vandals were highly ranked at the beginning of the season (#10 in AGS) and is 3-0 in FCS (@ Lamar, vs ranked Sac State, @ ranked EWU), as well as 1-1 vs FBS (thumped Nevada, lost to Cal).

Simple - Just as 4 is much higher than 10 in the ranking scale in question, "highly" is much less than "very highly."

We're trying to talk Football over here. Don't you have like 12 feet of snow that you need to go shovel or something? It is October.

garland823
October 6th, 2023, 12:36 PM
Or 23 safeties :)
Don't forget offensive safeties

MSUBobcat
October 6th, 2023, 12:47 PM
Simple - Just as 4 is much higher than 10 in the ranking scale in question, "highly" is much less than "very highly."

We're trying to talk Football over here. Don't you have like 12 feet of snow that you need to go shovel or something? It is October.

Looks like we'll have more FUBeAR foot-stomping on Monday after the poll is released.....

Shots about the weather? xrolleyesx Gonna be balmy here this weekend, forecast is mid-70's.

Catamount87
October 6th, 2023, 01:07 PM
A slow Friday = time to ponder important statistical questions!

While checking the NCAA FCS stats a question came to mind, how many yards are required to score 1 point by the offense and vise versa. Then how do those #s compare across SoCon teams. Essentially, a bit of an efficiency study and to a degree, a strength study.

I did find it interesting to see the difference #s for each team and I wasn't expecting to see such a wide difference between Furman, Chatt and WCU. Still all three show why their at the top of the SoCon and conversely, Citadel shows why they are at the bottom. That said, it would be interesting to apply this review to the rest of the FCS but I ain't got time for that.

Team
Offensive Yards
Offensive Points
Off Yds/Point
Defensive Yards
Defensive Points
Defensive Yds/Point
Difference

Furman

Chat

WCU

Mercer

Samford

ETSU

Wofford

VMI

Citadel

Out of curiosity, I ran the same stat on two other teams.

off yards
off points
Yds/Point
def yards
def points
Yds/Point
Diff

W&M

SDSU

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2023, 02:31 PM
Looks like we'll have more FUBeAR foot-stomping on Monday after the poll is released.....

Shots about the weather? xrolleyesx Gonna be balmy here this weekend, forecast is mid-70's.Ahhh…FUBeAR sees that you are caught in a bit of a SoCon time warp and don’t grasp when/how FUBeAR works his SoCon Power Rankings and Picks…

FUBeAR is able to produce his Power Rankings on Sunday or Monday; so he almost alway publishes those rankings before any polls are released.

So, in this instance, FUBeAR was stating the obvious that Furman should be (now ‘should have been’) ranked #3 THIS week. Obviously, almost all poll voters proved themselves biased or stupid, or both. You know what they say - you can’t Coach stupid. So, any foot-stomping induced by that lack of sense and/or integrity this week has already been stomped.

FUBeAR doesn’t publish his weekly Picks until he’s reviewed game tapes, analyzed stats, talked to Coaches and Trainers, and consulted with his investment advisors. So FUBeAR’s Picks are released on Thursday night or Friday AM usually…AND he includes his previously produced Power Rankings, so that his audience will have everything conveniently together for reference. FUBeAR is courteous like that.

Savvy?

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2023, 02:36 PM
A slow Friday = time to ponder important statistical questions!

While checking the NCAA FCS stats a question came to mind, how many yards are required to score 1 point by the offense and vise versa. Then how do those #s compare across SoCon teams. Essentially, a bit of an efficiency study and to a degree, a strength study.

I did find it interesting to see the difference #s for each team and I wasn't expecting to see such a wide difference between Furman, Chatt and WCU. Still all three show why their at the top of the SoCon and conversely, Citadel shows why they are at the bottom. That said, it would be interesting to apply this review to the rest of the FCS but I ain't got time for that.

Team
Offensive Yards
Offensive Points
Off Yds/Point
Defensive Yards
Defensive Points
Defensive Yds/Point
Difference

Furman

Chat

WCU

Mercer

Samford

ETSU

Wofford

VMI

Citadel

Out of curiosity, I ran the same stat on two other teams.

off yards
off points
Yds/Point
def yards
def points
Yds/Point
Diff

W&M

SDSU

Pretty cool - you need to name & trademark this analysis.

Interesting that you proved what FUBeAR has been saying about Bill & the Beeyatch since this summer … rhymes with fraud.

Speaking of … can you dial up the PurpleCatStat Index number for Idaho?

Catamount87
October 6th, 2023, 03:30 PM
Pretty cool - you need to name & trademark this analysis.

Interesting that you proved what FUBeAR has been saying about Bill & the Beeyatch since this summer … rhymes with fraud.

Speaking of … can you dial up the PurpleCatStat Index number for Idaho?

Here ya go. Interesting that they're similar to your orange Bears.

off yards
off points
Yds/Point
def yards
def points
Yds/Point
Diff

W&M

SDSU

Idaho

Mercer

Catamount87
October 6th, 2023, 03:48 PM
@FUBeAR, figuring you'd want to go there with the top 10. Here's the same info for the Coaches Poll top 10. Notice your favorite, Idaho, is the outlier here with opponent needing fewer yards to score.

Coaches Poll Rank
Off yards
Off points
Yds/Point
Def yards
Def points
Def Yds/Point
Difference

SDSU

Montana St

Idaho

Furman

SIU

UIW

Sac St

NDSU

W&M

Delaware

MSUBobcat
October 6th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Ahhh…FUBeAR sees that you are caught in a bit of a SoCon time warp and don’t grasp when/how FUBeAR works his SoCon Power Rankings and Picks…

FUBeAR is able to produce his Power Rankings on Sunday or Monday; so he almost alway publishes those rankings before any polls are released.

So, in this instance, FUBeAR was stating the obvious that Furman should be (now ‘should have been’) ranked #3 THIS week. Obviously, almost all poll voters proved themselves biased or stupid, or both. You know what they say - you can’t Coach stupid. So, any foot-stomping induced by that lack of sense and/or integrity this week has already been stomped.

FUBeAR doesn’t publish his weekly Picks until he’s reviewed game tapes, analyzed stats, talked to Coaches and Trainers, and consulted with his investment advisors. So FUBeAR’s Picks are released on Thursday night or Friday AM usually…AND he includes his previously produced Power Rankings, so that his audience will have everything conveniently together for reference. FUBeAR is courteous like that.

Savvy?

This is the foot stomping I referred to. And there will be more this NEXT Monday also, when Idaho is once again ahead of Furman, barring Idaho stubbing their toe against an inferior opponent, due to having 3 wins better than any Furman has. Savvy?

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2023, 04:28 PM
This is the foot stomping I referred to. And there will be more this NEXT Monday also, when Idaho is once again ahead of Furman, barring Idaho stubbing their toe against an inferior opponent, due to having 3 wins better than any Furman has. Savvy?
You need to get hip to the PCS Index - see prior 2 posts.

Already noted globally for confirming the now-proven overhype of the Social Division of StolenLandsBurg and now the MathematicalMarvel has confirmed your BSC Vandals are POSERS, standing beside the walls they’ve tagged in tribute to themselves. They are doomed for a fall. It’s SCIENCE!

MSUBobcat
October 6th, 2023, 05:10 PM
You need to get hip to the PCS Index - see prior 2 posts.

Already noted globally for confirming the now-proven overhype of the Social Division of StolenLandsBurg and now the MathematicalMarvel has confirmed your BSC Vandals are POSERS, standing beside the walls they’ve tagged in tribute to themselves. They are doomed for a fall. It’s SCIENCE!

xlolxxlolx Always good for a laugh. They aren't MY Vandals, but I do agree that they are doomed for a fall... on Oct. 28th. Furple just needs to take care of business the weekend prior @WCU and they'll finally achieve that #3 spot you covet. Probably.

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2023, 12:56 PM
FuBearMoc...Did a whole SoCon QB comparison....Seeley from Wofford may be the best QB in the Conference, when adjusted for being a kid that played HS football last year. That kid makes some REALLY REALLY good decisions with the ball.He is going to be a a problem for SoCon Defenses for a long while.

kdinva
October 7th, 2023, 04:07 PM
The Citadel -10
Furman – 48 – Beatdown of the Week - The Paladins roll against the Bulldogs at home.

surprisingly not the full blow out, Furman wins 28-14 (Paladins were up 28-0 mid-way in the 3rd, Dogs didn't quit. Dogs 276 total yards, Furman "only" 345.

rtzlunar
October 7th, 2023, 04:10 PM
Citadel covers the spread for the first time all year. Furman should be out of the top 10 after that **** show. 😄

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 04:17 PM
surprisingly not the full blow out, Furman wins 28-14 (Paladins were up 28-0 mid-way in the 3rd, Dogs didn't quit. Dogs 276 total yards, Furman "only" 345.

We were -2 in turnovers as well. Still, really the best we have played. We may be turning the corner. Much better confidence by our QB. Lots of improvement. But still it's relative. Lots of improvement needed still.

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2023, 05:52 PM
Citadel covers the spread for the first time all year. Furman should be out of the top 10 after that **** show. 
FUATT

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 06:08 PM
FUATT

Furman sucks

DIN of Battle
October 7th, 2023, 06:15 PM
I was at the game and while not able to watch as intently as I would like due to chasing a three year old all over the place, the Citadel looked fairly solid. This looked like the best y’all have played all year. I also talked to a friend who has a family member on coaching staff at El Cid and per his family member, the staff feels like they are finding their players and are starting to build around them. Granted, this is from a third degree source so take it for what it’s worth. But today El Cid definitely looked more put together than games past.

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2023, 09:17 PM
Furman sucks
W

gofurman
October 8th, 2023, 12:14 AM
Yeah, you can make a good case that he isn't on par with last year. I'm hoping he has found his rhythm and has adjusted to so many new WRs that he is dealing with. He left the Shorter game in the middle of the 3rd quarter BTW, or he could have really padded those stats there. It is speculation on my part that he will be better when Rias gets back and heading into the remainder of the schedule. I think he still has the potential to explode against any opponent. As they say, time will tell.

SU DOG. IS Riaas a WR? Is he gonna play v Furman? 😳

thanks for any info. Furman is missing two starting ILB and our 2nd and 3rd RB. AANd our number one RB ROBerto seems gimpy?

SU DOG
October 8th, 2023, 01:22 AM
D. J. Rias is arguably our 2nd best WR. He hasn't played since the Auburn Game, and I don't know if he will be able vs Furman or not. He is very fast and had 588 yards of receiving last year. He is sorely missed.

gofurman
October 11th, 2023, 10:15 PM
D. J. Rias is arguably our 2nd best WR. He hasn't played since the Auburn Game, and I don't know if he will be able vs Furman or not. He is very fast and had 588 yards of receiving last year. He is sorely missed.

thank you I didn’t see this before. Is anyone else of note out for Samfd?