PDA

View Full Version : 2023 NEC Thread

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 23rd, 2023, 04:45 PM
Better late than never.

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2023, 08:06 PM
This league is hot garbage. For a while, in football at least, the league was giving the PL and and the Ivy a really hard time. The Champ wasn't an easy out in the first round. Was really a bright spot ifor the conference.

Now, like basketball, the league is on a steep decline. Not sure I see a way out of this tailspin.

UNHWildcat18
September 25th, 2023, 08:19 AM
Really surprised at the standings. I jokingly root for MC(Hockey East brethren) and this season Stonehill(because we played them) but no NEC team seems to be above the rest IMHO. I think whoever the winner is this year gets smoked in the first round. Definitely a down year for the league.

Do you think they will ever go from 45 to 63 or at least closer to?

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2023, 08:52 AM
League allows up to 60. NEC allows teams to mix and match scholarships and grants to hit the top line.

Not sure it is a resource issue. NEC will always be lagging in facilities and investment. But good coaches, schollys/grants and a great schedule has made the league very attractive. We are recruiting kids that had PL/Ivy/CAA interest and offers. Even FBS transfers.

Don't know if this is just a down years lost-COVID, or if it is a trend. ☹️

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2023, 10:48 AM
Will the NEC pursue Marist at some point for football?

Original_RMC
September 25th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Who leaves the NEC next?

UNHWildcat18
September 25th, 2023, 12:49 PM
Who leaves the NEC next?

More like who is next to join the NEC from the NE-10....

- - - Updated - - -

Marist should just step it up and join for football. Pioneer league just doesn't seem like its going to last IMHO

NY Crusader 2010
September 25th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Marist has a long way to go before they'd be competitive even in a down NEC. I still shake my head when people pick Marist to beat Georgetown in what seems to be an annual opening game. And every year it seems, the Hoyas win going away. And would the NEC only invite Marist if they joined for all sports? I feel like that would be the flex.

And yea, definitely rough times right now in the NEC. Wasn't that long ago that you guys had legit past the Patriot League in football. It was embarrassing but a fact nonetheless. Assuming the core group of schools stay together, it'll turn around.

crusader11
September 25th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Raise your hand if you remember CCSU going down to Georgia Southern and beating them in the 2006 season-opener.

Brian VanGorder's first and last season-opener as a head coach.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 25th, 2023, 03:58 PM
This league is hot garbage. For a while, in football at least, the league was giving the PL and and the Ivy a really hard time. The Champ wasn't an easy out in the first round. Was really a bright spot ifor the conference.

Now, like basketball, the league is on a steep decline. Not sure I see a way out of this tailspin.

It was hot garbage last year.

It is in decline because of the commissioner. She does nothing but play favorites and promote cronyism. There is no universal plan for the conference to grow. It is why every school with a pulse or a dream escapes at the first chance. She needs to go but the presidents don't have the backbone.

Their only plan is to pick up the MEAC's dregs once that conference finally dies. Which will sink basketball and football further into Division II status.

WestCoastAggie
September 25th, 2023, 04:53 PM
It was hot garbage last year.

It is in decline because of the commissioner. She does nothing but play favorites and promote cronyism. There is no universal plan for the conference to grow. It is why every school with a pulse or a dream escapes at the first chance. She needs to go but the presidents don't have the backbone.

Their only plan is to pick up the MEAC's dregs once that conference finally dies. Which will sink basketball and football further into Division II status.

What a pathetic game of Chicken between the MEAC and NEC. LOL.

And yet, there at A&T Alumni that want the school's new Chancellor (when they are hired in 2024) to persuade the BOT to return to the MEAC simply because of "Black Pride". Absolutely Pathetic.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 26th, 2023, 11:30 AM
What a pathetic game of Chicken between the MEAC and NEC. LOL.

And yet, there at A&T Alumni that want the school's new Chancellor (when they are hired in 2024) to persuade the BOT to return to the MEAC simply because of "Black Pride". Absolutely Pathetic.

That is tragic. NC A&T is a shining example of a school that continues to grow and develop by leaps and bounds. Your alumni should be proud of that journey and not want regression.

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2023, 02:54 PM

Marist has had an open invitation for years.

They don't want to invest in scholarships (or many grants in aid) and they found the Pioneer to be more cost effective. They can fill out a roster with tuition paying members and get local PL and NEC non-conf games to fill out their schedule - as I understand it, they're happy with that.

UAalum72
September 26th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Raise your hand if you remember CCSU going down to Georgia Southern and beating them in the 2006 season-opener.

Brian VanGorder's first and last season-opener as a head coach.
✋ That was the week before Albany beat Delaware and added fuel to our argument for an autobid for the NEC

downbythebeach
October 1st, 2023, 08:13 AM
✋ That was the week before Albany beat Delaware and added fuel to our argument for an autobid for the NEC

I still remember all the excuses from UD and GaSo fans LOL

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 5th, 2023, 08:02 AM
It is amazing how awful the conference is this year.

Only one team has a winning record.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2023, 12:33 AM
Wagner is really struggling.

UNHWildcat18
November 11th, 2023, 03:43 PM
So now Duquesne(Associate) and Merrimack (future non member or associate) will play for the NEC autobid next week

Dane96
November 11th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Wagner is really struggling.

Wagner should have dropped football long ago or made a move to the Pioneer. They just don't do it right...and haven't for a bit. They should use that money to focus on Basketball, Soccer, and Lax...and make a move to the MAAC.

UNHWildcat18
November 12th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Wagner should have dropped football long ago or made a move to the Pioneer. They just don't do it right...and haven't for a bit. They should use that money to focus on Basketball, Soccer, and Lax...and make a move to the MAAC.

If they did they’d probably be the invite for when rider eventually collapses.