PDA

View Full Version : Semifinals: Richmond at Appalachian State

Pages : 1 [2] 3

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
P.S. - on the 'Team to Beat' thread, I called ASU the team to beat.

The champ is the 'team to beat' until they are beaten.

What else can we do be friendlier? The new kids in town just want to make friends!

jonmac
December 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Just that a lot of the post have been close to smack. This board is for civil conversation, not attacks. Smack board is for that and it can be fun. I think most of us are grown up enough to pull for our teams and talk up our teams without demeaning the others. There are also some thin skinned folks here. ps-they are the ones that will flame this post.:) Just kidding, sort of.

feb18blacksunday
December 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Please try no to sound like a GSU fan.xnonox xsmiley_wix

Ouch that hurts. Hurts real bad.

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Eh, I'm not overzealous. I just don't do well in thin-skinned environments (not an attack, boys, relax). I will keep it cool this week.

jonmac
December 2nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Eh, I'm not overzealous. I just don't do well in thin-skinned environments (not an attack, boys, relax). I will keep it cool this week.

I was gonna say you're doing much better. Haven't you lost a red mark? I just enjoy the well informed conversation and poking a little fun as long as it doesn't go too far. I am one of few sports, especially FCS, fans in my circle and everyone here helps keep me informed. The good natured ribbing is fun but sometimes we go a little too far.

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Just that a lot of the post have been close to smack.
That's pretty much it. The smack board is separated from the football discussion board for a reason. Smack, particularly argumentative pregame smack, is generally empty and useless talk. I personally have very little use for it. So I don't visit or post in the smack boards very often.

And I don't like/expect to read things like "y'all are some arrogant M'F'ers," or "the pebble will get broke," or even "your players will injure our players with illegal chop blocks," in a board that's not smack. I don't neccesarily/automatically detest those kinds of comments; I just don't like when they show up in the FCS discussion threads.

Same thing goes for ad nauseum discussions of dirty play, poor officiating, ill-mannered fanbases, etc. Some of that stuff always pops up, and is perhaps due a short life on the FCS discussion board. But it is generally baseless and becomes useless/'smack-ish' pretty fast.

jonmac
December 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
That's pretty much it. The smack board is separated from the football discussion board for a reason. Smack, particularly argumentative pregame smack, is generally empty and useless talk. I personally have very little use for it. So I don't visit or post in the smack boards very often.

And I don't like/expect to read things like "y'all are some arrogant M'F'ers," or "the pebble will get broke," or even "your players will injure our players with illegal chop blocks," in a board that's not smack. I don't neccesarily/automatically detest those kinds of comments; I just don't like when they show up in the FCS discussion threads.

Same thing goes for ad nauseum discussions of dirty play, poor officiating, ill-mannered fanbases, etc. Some of that stuff always pops up, and is perhaps due a short life on the FCS discussion board. But it is generally baseless and becomes useless/'smack-ish' pretty fast.

What he said. Words...I wish...I use...that...good.:D

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM

Best explanation I've seen yet, put that post in the official board rules!xthumbsupx

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM

That's fine, but realize that "ASU by 3 TDs" can be construed as smack also, no? And I am pretty sure that that was quoted early in this thread, by no means necessarily by you.

APPSTER
December 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
That's fine, but realize that "ASU by 3 TDs" can be construed as smack also, no? And I am pretty sure that that was quoted early in this thread, by no means necessarily by you.

I'm sure it wasn't intended as smack, but can see how you could see it that way. These are the same App fans that thought we'd have no trouble with JMU and EWU. When you win as much as we have recently, fans get spoiled.

Trust me when I tell you that everyone knows that Richmond is good and that it could easily be a "last one with the ball wins" type of game.

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe not smack, just an overzealous idiotic prediction. The Spiders can certainly win this game, and if they lose it won't be by 3 TDs. No way.

appstate38
December 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Not making any kind of prediction because it would be pointless, but I am still waiting for ASU to play a complete football game.

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Not making any kind of prediction because it would be pointless, but I am still waiting for ASU to play a complete football game.
Wouldn't that be nice.

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2007, 10:48 PM

Doesn't that require having a defense? Hope that's not smack.

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Doesn't that require having a defense? Hope that's not smack.
Nope, just a sad truth.:(

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
does anybody know or think they know how they are going control parking for this one? raley lot is used for teachers during the week, and there at exams from 3-530 and 6-9......gonna be tough....greenwood is used for students during the week and is always completely full, maybe not this weekend as some will go home, but still they cant tell them all to move when they have nowhere to go.....parking deck is used for students, the other is used for teachers and staff....the offcampus lots, most dont have lights....they prolly can use the rec center, but that like 10 spots....stadium is used for students.....etc.

Lizzie_ASUband
December 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
parking is going to be a nightmare friday night. i live about a mile from campus (up back behind queen street for any of the local boone people) and my landlord said she's either going to be out there or have a rent a cop or two checking parking passes.

wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasnt for the fact that theres barely wnough spots for the people who live there....atleast we're allowed to call the tow company on illegal parkers now

mtoliver
December 2nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
Quite possible thatexamscould get rescheduled.... i think it has has happened before. Will look for source

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
The Friday exam thing is so weird. They are bound to change the times to earlier in the day to accommodate fans, parking, etc. I know it's an education institution, but what the hell is going on at 10:00am that you can't have exams??? Bizarre.

And I heard someone mention Saturday exams? With these times, you'd think App St. was a commuter school with 30-50 yo population or something that works full-time. Just strange from an outsider's perspective.

GO SPIDERS! This will be a great game, and all you saying that attendance will be worse, that just seems like crazy talk to me. Nothing better than a night game, especially when it is on ESPN. Virginia Tech fans make it down to Blacksburg no problem for 2-3 Thursday night games, and the bulk of their alumni mostly live in Richmond or DC, several hours away. You can pack the place for Friday night. C'mon! Give yourselves a little credit, you don't rule the FCS in attendance and then just not show up on a semi-final Friday night.

To be honest, even though I loved the Championship Game, the win on a Friday night in Williamsburg against a rival was sweeter in a way. I know this is not a revenge game, but the atmosphere there under the lights will be unreal! I promise! ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

mountaineertider
December 2nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
I see this coming down to the kicking game and turnovers. I would never bet against #91, he's the real deal. If we can hold the turnovers to a minimum, I think we win. [I]But closer than the experts think!

ASU - 31, UR - 28.

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
The Friday exam thing is so weird. They are bound to change the times to earlier in the day to accommodate fans, parking, etc. I know it's an education institution, but what the hell is going on at 10:00am that you can't have exams??? Bizarre.

And I heard someone mention Saturday exams? With these times, you'd think App St. was a commuter school with 30-50 yo population or something that works full-time. Just strange from an outsider's perspective.

GO SPIDERS! This will be a great game, and all you saying that attendance will be worse, that just seems like crazy talk to me. Nothing better than a night game, especially when it is on ESPN. Virginia Tech fans make it down to Blacksburg no problem for 2-3 Thursday night games, and the bulk of their alumni mostly live in Richmond or DC, several hours away. You can pack the place for Friday night. C'mon! Give yourselves a little credit, you don't rule the FCS in attendance and then just not show up on a semi-final Friday night.

To be honest, even though I loved the Championship Game, the win on a Friday night in Williamsburg against a rival was sweeter in a way. I know this is not a revenge game, but the atmosphere there under the lights will be unreal! I promise! ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

other exams are going on at 10:00am, thats why

theres exams all day from 8am to 9pm

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
I see this coming down to the kicking game and turnovers. I would never bet against #91, he's the real deal. If we can hold the turnovers to a minimum, I think we win. [I]But closer than the experts think!

ASU - 31, UR - 28.

xlolx Not so fast, my friend...:D xpeacex

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
let me throw out my bold predictions....

richmond goes up 3 to nothing after first drive
app punts
richmond punts
armanti touchdown 7-3
richmond field goal 7-6
app punts
same for richmond
blah blah blah
lets speed this up....

14-6 at end of 1st
24-13 at half
31-20 at end of third
34-27 final app

Lizzie_ASUband
December 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
either way its going to be a close game. nothing "blowout" about it.

i miss being in band but man, is it great to be a regular fan now! i understand why everyone was so insane now.

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2007, 11:39 PM
either way its going to be a close game. nothing "blowout" about it.

i miss being in band but man, is it great to be a regular fan now! i understand why everyone was so insane now.

i dont know that weve ever seen, outside of Chattanooga, the level of insanity we'll see friday night.xrotatehx xthumbsupx

thmst30
December 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
i dont know that weve ever seen, outside of Chattanooga, the level of insanity we'll see friday night.xrotatehx xthumbsupx
I hope its crazy, the more the merrier and the crazier.

GGASU
December 2nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
I know it was, and I congratulate them still. And it is not lost on me that my alma mater is now playing the team that pulled one of the biggest upsets ever on the team that I've cheered for since I was 8.

You will enjoy this then....http://youtube.com/watch?v=8rBzoXqCEnA

Maybe the creator of this video will make another one for the Richmond game. xthumbsupx

I am glad they changed the game to Friday night. Last night game I remember was when Marshall came in undefeated in 1994....it was absolutely crazy. ASU 31-UR 13

ERASU2113
December 2nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Regardless of how it plays out...ASU for some reason knows how to win the close games.

Seems to me like they want to be called the Cardiac 'Neers or something haha

appmountaineer
December 3rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
I look foreward to this game...I've been hoping to play richmond all season. here's a favorite quote of mine. "I'll let the raquet do the talking" -Jon McEnroe

My pick- ASU 41 Richmond 31... Richmond hangs close until the 4th and APP pulls away. Expierence and an improving defense play a huge factor in this game.

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Expierence and an improving defense play a huge factor in this game.

That improving defense may be a huge factor, but don't sell UR's experience short. They've beaten five playoff teams this year...three of them on the road.

charliej
December 3rd, 2007, 05:42 AM
I thought the Spiders were the best (most complete) team Nova played all year.Hightower is a beast.

UR,26-ASU,21

ASUMountaineer
December 3rd, 2007, 06:55 AM
I thought the Spiders were the best (most complete) team Nova played all year.Hightower is a beast.

UR,26-ASU,21

I think your spread could be correct, but I think it will be a higher scoring affair. I don't see UR holding ASU to 21 points, and I'm not sure I see ASU holding UR to 26.

My pick:

URich: 31
ASU: 38

appstate1998
December 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
So I was super excited abou the 4pm start. I have a server install on Friday with 70 workstations, so getting done with that and driving 5 hours by 8pm kickoff is not gonna happen xbawlingx

spdram
December 3rd, 2007, 08:14 AM
I'm glad this thread is taking a new direction, when I got back from watching our win over Wofford I got on the boards to catch up. When I got to this I thought, Oh no! I don't want a week of this!

I think you have to believe ASU is favored beacause they are home and the defending NC, but if anyone thinks Richmnod is coming here to "show up they will be mistaken. I am not going to make a prediction because I would do so through red and blue glasses, I will say I'm looking forward to one heck of a game and seeing the best team go on to win the NC. I hope it's my Spiders! xthumbsupx

APPride
December 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
So I was super excited abou the 4pm start. I have a server install on Friday with 70 workstations, so getting done with that and driving 5 hours by 8pm kickoff is not gonna happen xbawlingx

can't you just "push a button?" :) or better yet "plug and unplug?" :D

sorry so many fans will have to miss the game because of work :(

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Absolutely not, not in the least. Given what I've seen out of ASU this year, a 3-TD win it's not the smartest prediction. Maybe it's a bit of over-confidence. But it's not smack.

It's not smack because it's not personal; it's not posted in a pejorative spirit. It doesn't belittle a team's players, fans, facilities, region, etc.

People will pick against your team, Bettina. If you want to respond within the context of a football discussion thread, talk football. Critique the person's pick based on what your team has already done on the field. Make your own confident prediction if you want.

But don't be so thin-skinned as to respond to what you see as a brash prediction with name calling. If you want to call ASU folk a bunch of arrogant, banjo-pickin' hillbillies, be my guest. You can even start with me, an ASU grad who now lives and works in the city of Richmond (yes, I do play a banjo).

But try posting that kind of stuff over in the smack board, so everybody who visits this thread doesn't have to sort through pages of mean-spirited stuff to find thoughts and information about Friday's semifinal.

Irony is, now I've gone and cluttered up the thread with a couple of non-football posts.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
We've pretty much covered that, I think. I am used to posting on a Pro Football board where pretty much anything goes, and you don't get the chance to edit or use any avatars/emoticons. It works out well actually, but I realize I need to tone it down a smidge in these parts. Actually, most of the Rivals sites allow for some back and forth as well, but we can talk straight football.

Any UR fans have any info on the erstwhile Mr. Shields? I am assuming he is just gonna sit and watch the rest of the way. I had heard that he might get back in for Wofford but never saw him on the field.

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks to the App State fans with hotel recs, we've got a few rooms at the Comfort Suites.

As for Shields, the word is that he is in practice but will likely not play anymore. One rumor that I've heard (who knows if it is true) is that he's avoiding injury to be ready for the Combine. I hope that's not the case and he plays a few last games as a Spider. I would love to see him in a game with the development of Grayson this year - that would give us 2 legitimately dangerous WR options.

RAMS83
December 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
UR's Head Coach Dave Clawson is tremendous. Not only does he recruit well, he is a great offensive mind. I watched him closely when he turned around a struggling Fordham program, he had three winning seasons (27-9) in a row and a PL championship. He now has UR knocking on the dor for an FCS championship. Even if UR doesnt capture the title, I believe a 1A program will try to hire him in 07 or 08. He's good, proven he's successful, charsimatic and fairly young (39).

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
With some thanks to ncguitar on the MMB...

FCS rankings
Category ASU Richmond
Rushing Offense 5 12
Passing Offense 57 85
Total Offense 3 31
Scoring Offense 3 16
Rushing Defense 93 28
Passing Eff. Def. 22 63
Total Defense 67 39
Scoring Defense 60 24
Net Punting 27 20
Punt Returns 58 17
Kickoff Returns 50 21
Turnover Margin 35 30
Pass Defense 20 75
Passing Efficiency 10 56

Richmond has 36 sacks, and has given up 16
ASU has 24 sacks, and has given up 22

Key Matchups:
ASU #93 Rushing Defense VS Richmond #12 Rushing Offense
ASU #20 Passing Defense VS Richmond #85 Passing Offense
Richmond #28 Rushing Defense VS ASU #5 Rushing Offense
Richmond #75 Passing Defense VS ASU #57 Passing Offense

Richmond's Sagarin rating is at 67, SOS is 56.89 (134th place in all D-I)
Appalachian's rating is at 72, SOS is 57.06 (132nd place)

ASU's has 47 TDs and 13 FGs (13-13) in 66 trips to the red zone
UR has 36 TDs and 13 FGs (13-17) in 61 trips to the red zone

ASU has allowed 32 TDs and 9 FGs (9-15) in 51 opponent trips to the red zone.
UR has allowed 27 TDs and 9 FGs (9-13) in 48 opponent trips to the red zone.

Should be a great game, to say the least.

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Not sure where you got the Sagarin rating, but those were updated today.

UR- Rating 70.45/schedule 56.89/ELO CHESS 74.32/ Predictor 66.76

ASU- Rating 69.71/schedule 57.06/ ELO CHESS 73.49/ Predictor 66.04

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
looking at the numbers the teams look very comparable... i think the two biggest things will be the same things as always... kickoff coverage and run defense

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Not sure where you got the Sagarin rating, but those were updated today.

UR- Rating 70.45/schedule 56.89/ELO CHESS 74.32/ Predictor 66.76

ASU- Rating 69.71/schedule 57.06/ ELO CHESS 73.49/ Predictor 66.04
http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

I think we're looking at the same stuff. I guess I should have said ranking rather than rating. Richmond is the 67th team, ASU the 72nd.

Psl48
December 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Either the ticket site is screwed up or the game is getting close to sold out.

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
looking at the numbers the teams look very comparable... i think the two biggest things will be the same things as always... kickoff coverage and run defense

Those are the two areas where Richmond really excels. I would venture to say that Justin Rogers is one of the best return men in the country (CAA special teams player of the year) and Derek Hatcher is pretty darn good returning punts. Teams towards the end of the season (see Delaware game) just stopped kicking it to Rogers because he can break one at any time.

And our running game is really the strength of our offense. You'll get a heavy helping of Hightower and Vaughan on Friday night.

This should be a good one.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
That was my take.

From looking at the Richmond/Wofford game stats (http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/wof1201.html#GAME.TEM), the Spiders and Terriers matched up very evenly. Time of posession was even, Wofford outgained Richmond on the ground, Richmond did better in the air, Richmond had the total offense edge by about 50 yards.

For the most part, both teams struggled with putting together successful drives. Three missed field goals, 3 drive-ending fumbles, 2 drive-ending INTs, 2 turnovers on downs (not including Wofford's game-ending drive).

Great defensive effort on both sides. Richmond defended the option as good as I've ever seen.

The only area where either team could claim dominance, though is fumbles: Richmond 1, Wofford 6. That made all the difference. Richmond's 1-yard post-fumble scoring drive pretty much tipped the scales in this one.

ASU obviously has to hang onto the ball to win this one. Hightower ought to do a little better than the 96 yards he put up Saturday, Vaughn should do better than his 21 yards, and Richmond will probably do better than the 21 scored against Wofford.

I like ASU's red zone defense to come up with a big stop or two, but UR could easily score 4 or 5 touchdowns in this one. ASU's challenge is to score more. I tend to think they will.

Total score in this one could creep up towards the UR-UD total, even without all the extra football.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Those are the two areas where Richmond really excels. I would venture to say that Justin Rogers is one of the best return men in the country (CAA special teams player of the year) and Derek Hatcher is pretty darn good returning punts. Teams towards the end of the season (see Delaware game) just stopped kicking it to Rogers because he can break one at any time.

And our running game is really the strength of our offense. You'll get a heavy helping of Hightower and Vaughan on Friday night.

This should be a good one.

I will be very interested to see how ASU kicks to him. According to most ASU fans, he should be seeing plenty of kicks.

citdog
December 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Richmond will need alot of help, like they got on Sat night, to beat App.

App by 21

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Richmond will need alot of help, like they got on Sat night, to beat App.

App by 21

Ah, when Richmond wins they "got help", when App wins they know how to win close games and make their own breaks.

Gotcha.

citdog
December 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Ah, when Richmond wins they "got help", when App wins they know how to win close games and make their own breaks.

Gotcha.

I WAS THERE SAT NITE. DID Y'ALL SOMEHOW MAKE THE LONG SNAPPER SNAP THE BALL 10 FEET OVER THE PUNTERS HEAD? DID YOU FORCE THE WOFFORD RECEIVER TO RUN OUT OF BOUNDS ON THE LONG PASS PLAY ON WOCO'S LAST POSSESSION? YOU WON THE GAME, BUT YOU GOT SOME HELP, AND IF YOU DON'T ADMIT THAT YOU'RE JUST WRONG.

proasu89
December 3rd, 2007, 11:11 AM

May not have released all the season ticket holders seats that went unclaimed.

Black and Gold Express
December 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
I will be very interested to see how ASU kicks to him. According to most ASU fans, he should be seeing plenty of kicks.

I don't disagree that he'll be gettign a lot of kickoff return chances. xsmiley_wix

One thing I've noticed lately is Rauch is not getting the same distance on his kickoffs that he was earlier this year. They have been really short by his standards. Whether by design or not I do not know, but he has had a few struggles in recent weeks. He looked like he got his FG/XP kicking back to normal last week at least.

proasu89
December 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I don't disagree that he'll be gettign a lot of kickoff return chances. xsmiley_wix

One thing I've noticed lately is Rauch is not getting the same distance on his kickoffs that he was earlier this year. They have been really short by his standards. Whether by design or not I do not know, but he has had a few struggles in recent weeks. He looked like he got his FG/XP kicking back to normal last week at least.

Cold ball, wind, heavy air could be a factor. Sure does shorten up my tee ball in winter.:o

Black and Gold Express
December 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Cold ball, wind, heavy air could be a factor. Sure does shorten up my tee ball in winter.:o

I assume you can at least get it past the ladies tee still? xwhistlex

GGASU
December 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Season tickets that are not being used will be released at 4:00.

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM

Gotcha.

I take it you didn't read the boards after the JMU game.

proasu89
December 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I assume you can at least get it past the ladies tee still? xwhistlex

xbawlingx Downwind, and my foursome gives me the benefit of the doubtxlolx

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
I WAS THERE SAT NITE. DID Y'ALL SOMEHOW MAKE THE LONG SNAPPER SNAP THE BALL 10 FEET OVER THE PUNTERS HEAD? DID YOU FORCE THE WOFFORD RECEIVER TO RUN OUT OF BOUNDS ON THE LONG PASS PLAY ON WOCO'S LAST POSSESSION? YOU WON THE GAME, BUT YOU GOT SOME HELP, AND IF YOU DON'T ADMIT THAT YOU'RE JUST WRONG.

Uh, yeah, I watched as well. When that occured, Wofford was backed up, punting, and not able to move the ball very well. Of course "I" got some help, that's called winning football games. He who makes the least amount of mistakes. Wofford, on their only TD drive, also recovered a fumble by Vaughn at midfield, and Richmond RARELY puts the ball on the ground, they also picked off Ward in their own territory on an ill-advised throw when Richmond was AGAIN moving the ball. Richmond got some help, but don't try to spin it like "JMU vs. ASU"-type help.

citdog
December 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Uh, yeah, I watched as well. When that occured, Wofford was backed up, punting, and not able to move the ball very well. Of course "I" got some help, that's called winning football games. He who makes the least amount of mistakes. Wofford, on their only TD drive, also recovered a fumble by Vaughn at midfield, and Richmond RARELY puts the ball on the ground, they also picked off Ward in their own territory on an ill-advised throw when Richmond was AGAIN moving the ball. Richmond got some help, but don't try to spin it like "JMU vs. ASU"-type help.

i don't spin anything i only reported what i observed. how about this.....

unless App makes many, many, many, mistakes Confederate Capitol University loses by at least three touchdowns. BETTER?

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
i don't spin anything i only reported what i observed. how about this.....

unless App makes many, many, many, mistakes Confederate Capitol University loses by at least three touchdowns. BETTER?

Should we define "Missed Tackle on Tim Hightower" as a "Mistake"?

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Perhaps, but then you would have to define "blocked kick by Corey Lynch" or "forced fumble by Gary Tharrington" makeups for the mistake.

Grabholdofyosef
December 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Spider fans, A word of wisdom. If you are trying to score, make sure you are heading toward the scoreboard, because the other endzone has some bad mojo for opposing running backs. 2 fumbles in 2 weeks that should have been touchdowns. Bad news for you guys.:D
Isnt that also the same side where ingle slipped down untouched inside 5 in the semis in '05?

T-Dog
December 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Isnt that also the same side where ingle slipped down untouched inside 5 in the semis in '05?

That was the other side. The south endzone (scoreboard side) is the "Bad crap to happening to Furman" side of the field (endzone INT in 2000, Miracle in 2002, Richie scoring GW TD in 2004, Ingle slipping in 2005, Lynch returning the FG block for a TD)

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Spider fans, A word of wisdom. If you are trying to score, make sure you are heading toward the scoreboard, because the other endzone has some bad mojo for opposing running backs. 2 fumbles in 2 weeks that should have been touchdowns. Bad news for you guys.:D

Just as a point of clarification. JMU wouldn't have scored on our fumble, but it would've set us up nicely for the FG.

BUT, it's hard telling what would've happened after that. My bet is on Lynch blocking it. That's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

It's kind of funny that both of these teams beat JMU in close to identical fashion. Everybody knows about the ASU fumble, but Landers also threw an interception in the red zone near the end of the Richmond game that probably cost us that game too.

ball21
December 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM

Gotcha.

It sounds like you think that Richmond has already won the game, when we stop Hightower then what, we have a fast and strong Defense. A lot of Woofford players and fans, I think overlooked Richmond and where looking forward to playing ASU again. We heard a lot of trash from them about they wanted a rematch with us to prove the first time wasn't a joke. The joke is on them now!

Have you already bought your championship tickets and booked your room too in Chattanooga too? How many Richmond fans will make the trip to Tenn., 3K, nothing compares to 20 K in Tenn for a game!! Many ASU fans are looking forward to a good game against a game team from Richmond this Friday night at the ROCK.

If Richmond wins, I will be there cheering for them in Tenn., but don't talk trash.. Are you on the Richmnod Spiders football? How about we let the players play the game and leave the trash bs out of it.

I will be the first one to invite you to the tailgate spot in Tenn. if Richmond makes the Championship game, but if Richmond loses are you going to support ASU or the other team(Del/ Southern Ill.)

Good Luck to both teams and may the best team win!

APP Fan

biggie
December 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
BUT, it's hard telling what would've happened after that. My bet is on Lynch blocking it. That's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

It's kind of funny that both of these teams beat JMU in close to identical fashion. Everybody knows about the ASU fumble, but Landers also threw an interception in the red zone near the end of the Richmond game that probably cost us that game too.

Funny.

And I was thinking that I was watching a reverse repeat of the JMU game Saturday, as EWU fumbled in the red zone and then went for it on 4th and 1 in their own territory and didn't make it.

The Moody1
December 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
How many Richmond fans will make the trip to Tenn., 3K?

3K is close to their reported attendance for their first round home game. I think around 300 would be more likely in Chattanooga.

BestOfBreed
December 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
3K is close to their reported attendance for their first round home game. I think around 300 would be more likely in Chattanooga.

They had about 600 or so fans in Spartanburg for the quarterfinal game.

billya
December 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM

Ingle Martin losing the game= priceless

back2back
December 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
The fumbles were on the field house end. The Miracle on the Mountain and Devin Moore's catch (JMU) took place where Ingle fell. Thank you Ingle! Beat Richmond!!!!

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Just as a point of clarification. JMU wouldn't have scored on our fumble, but it would've set us up nicely for the FG.

"In the Red zone" is not real accurate, I believe the LOS was somewhere around midfield, maybe on the UR side by a few yards. The pass was downfield towards the 20 but I don't think it was quite there. Point being that JMU still had some ground to cover before setting up for a FG, and they kind of had to put it in the air, based on the time and how UR was selling out a bit against the run.

All that said, I'd be the first to admit that I was beginning to fear the worst in that game, esp. since UR had not scored since the first quarter or something.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
"In the Red zone" is not real accurate, I believe the LOS was somewhere around midfield, maybe on the UR side by a few yards. The pass was downfield towards the 20 but I don't think it was quite there. Point being that JMU still had some ground to cover before setting up for a FG, and they kind of had to put it in the air, based on the time and how UR was selling out a bit against the run.

All that said, I'd be the first to admit that I was beginning to fear the worst in that game, esp. since UR had not scored since the first quarter or something.

I stand corrected. The INT occurred at the 23. I didn't see the game and it had been explained to me as a red zone turnover.

The Moody1
December 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
They had about 600 or so fans in Spartanburg for the quarterfinal game.

Richmond to Spartanburg is 366 miles. Richmond to Chattanooga is 544 miles. Realistically, I think they would bring less than 1k to Chattanooga.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
It was a pretty good heave, too, and Howell made one of the more acrobatic interceptions I saw this year in order to get it. Basically JMU had to just cover that final 15-20 more yards to be set up for a makeable FG when it happened.

B&G
December 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Funny.

And I was thinking that I was watching a reverse repeat of the JMU game Saturday, as EWU fumbled in the red zone and then went for it on 4th and 1 in their own territory and didn't make it.

So here's the question: After watching JMU and EWU having their aggressiveness work against them in the end, will Richmond adopt a more conservative gameplan?

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
So here's the question: After watching JMU and EWU having their aggressiveness work against them in the end, will Richmond adopt a more conservative gameplan?

I don't know that JMU's aggressiveness worked against them on the fumble, after all it was a run up the middle. It was MM's aggresiveness on the 4th down play, but I don't know that it was a horrible call since we'd gotten them all day. And I think Landers had a shot at getting it if he didn't fall down.

I didn't keep up much with the EWU game, but I thought the fumble was early on and the 4th down try was a make it or break it situation.

Either way, I think Richmond will play their normal game, mostly run, some pass. App might make them get aggressive if they have a big lead, but I don't think they'll intentionally go conservative.

ASUdrummer
December 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I'm only hearing numbers in the hundreds for Richmond so far. I thought Bettina said they were bringing "thousands" to Boone this weekend?!? xsmiley_wix Can't wait for Friday night...Go Apps!

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM

Even without those examples, Richmond will come out with a conservative game plan. Run at you to wear you down and pass when the situation calls for it. Ward can pull it back and run when needed as well. The Spiders are an extremely fundamentally sound team. There's not a whole lot of exoticness to this offense - they just get it done with the Hogs grinding it in the trenches to make you earn your stops. The most aggressive thing we'll do is get it to Justin Rogers on an end-around to create some yards. Be careful when you see #26 in for an offensive series.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
I'm only hearing numbers in the hundreds for Richmond so far. I thought Bettina said they were bringing "thousands" to Boone this weekend?!? xsmiley_wix Can't wait for Friday night...Go Apps!

Reread, I never said that. I have no idea what the UR crowd will be like, unfortunately I will not be there, despite accomodations right down the street. 8 hours each way is just too tough. Saving my free pass for the next week, if it happens...

Black Saturday
December 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM

Right. I'd guess the Chattanooga is pulling for us and Delaware, so they can feel it when the game is played. Imagine the fanbase turnout for SIU and UR?

ball21
December 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Right. I'd guess the Chattanooga is pulling for us and Delaware, so they can feel it when the game is played. Imagine the fanbase turnout for SIU and UR?

No more than 5 K at the most!! Bettina will be there with a group of 6 ..

We might ever sell u our tickets, b/c I know you haven't bought your tickets yet have u Bettina?

The Moody1
December 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM

I already have my reservations in Chattanooga but I have been looking for hotels for a friend. Everything I have checked in the downtown area is booked. If it is an SIU/Richmond final the there will be plenty of rooms.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
No more than 5 K at the most!! Bettina will be there with a group of 6 ..

We might ever sell u our tickets, b/c I know you haven't bought your tickets yet have u Bettina?

Of course I haven't. For the very valid reasons you are putting out here. You guys act like Richmond has some sort of apathetic fanbase. First off the school is so much smaller than UD or ASU, most of the Alums tend to gravitate towards the larger cities in the NE Corrider (since that is where most are originally from) and, let's face it, this is the first 3 year period in which UR has had a winning record in FIFTY years.

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Go right ahead, keep ripping our fan base and program all you want. I know most of you expect us to roll over in the fourth quarter and just cede the national championship game to you, but you might be surprised when we don't. If we make it to Chattanooga, we will have thousands of fans there. Will we have 15,000? Probably not. But I bet if the game were played in D.C. we would, just like you can take that many to a place equally close to you.

I can also assure you that we would have nearly 20,000 at UR Stadium if we were hosting this game. We had 15,000+ there for a second round game against Furman two years ago. And don't use our reported attendance numbers -- look at the game tapes. We had about 8,000 there against E. Kentucky in the first round, not the 3,000 we reported.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Go right ahead, keep ripping our fan base and program all you want. I know most of you expect us to roll over in the fourth quarter and just cede the national championship game to you, but you might be surprised when we don't. If we make it to Chattanooga, we will have thousands of fans there. Will we have 15,000? Probably not. But I bet if the game were played in D.C. we would, just like you can take that many to a place equally close to you.

First round of beers in Nooga is on me, Eight Legger. HaHa, nice to see I am not the only one with a little fire and brimstone for the Mountain Crowd.

appstate1998
December 3rd, 2007, 04:05 PM

I can also assure you that we would have nearly 20,000 at UR Stadium if we were hosting this game. We had 15,000+ there for a second round game against Furman two years ago. And don't use our reported attendance numbers -- look at the game tapes. We had about 8,000 there against E. Kentucky in the first round, not the 3,000 we reported.

considering DC is only about 100 miles farther away from boone than chatty, I'm sure we would have just as many there....actually probably more than chatty because if you think about where a lot of our fan base live, DC is closer than Chatty...I'm sure our Raleigh, NC fan base would love a game in DC...3 hours closer than Chatty...Just because TN is 10 miles from boone, doesn't mean it is that close to chatty...still 300 miles.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
First, Richmond to Boone is only 5 hours. It's a nice drive...Come Friday I'll have done it 4 times in the last 8 weeks. Just watch out for the cops once you get on highway 421.

Second, if Richmond wins this thing, I'm definitely a Richmond fan the following week. It's a great school with good roots and one of the best-looking campus in the FCS.

It's a shame to see a program go through the kind of recent success Richmond has known and still suffer through such low attendance. It's not reflective of how good the team is. If a national championship can bring the boost they need, good.

That new stadium is on a beautiful site, and it will only get prettier with rennovation. It would be a nice place to hang a championship banner. Not so nice that I want to see it at the expense of my Mountaineers, of course.

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
It's a shame to see a program go through the kind of recent success Richmond has known and still suffer through such low attendance. It's not reflective of how good the team is. If a national championship can bring the boost they need, good.

That new stadium is on a beautiful site, and it will only get prettier with rennovation. It would be a nice place to hang a championship banner. Not so nice that I want to see it at the expense of my Mountaineers, of course.

Not to say that we wouldn't like to draw 20,000 people to every game, but for a school with 3,000 students, that's a bit unrealistic. I don't know how many students you guys have, but I bet your attendance is proportionate to it. We had more than 1,000 students at a game this year, which is pretty impressive for that size school. For most home games, we draw between 5,000 and 11,000. That's not bad in a major metropolitan area and state capital where there are plenty of other things to do. No offense to Boone, but I imagine you all are sort of the main form of entertainment during football season, and that can't hurt your attendance.

B&G
December 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Even without those examples, Richmond will come out with a conservative game plan. Run at you to wear you down and pass when the situation calls for it. Ward can pull it back and run when needed as well. The Spiders are an extremely fundamentally sound team. There's not a whole lot of exoticness to this offense - they just get it done with the Hogs grinding it in the trenches to make you earn your stops. The most aggressive thing we'll do is get it to Justin Rogers on an end-around to create some yards. Be careful when you see #26 in for an offensive series.

I realize the EWU and JMU fumbles weren't due to aggressiveness. However, both of those teams repeatedly went for it on 4th downs rather than punt. They made most of them until late in the game when both teams were stopped on 4th and short. So I guess what I am asking is would you expect for Richmond to consistantly go for it on 4th and 2?

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Will we go for it on 4th and 2 a lot? I would say yes -- we have done that pretty successfully this year, especially at JMU. There have been a few games in which we've gone for it on fourth down 4 or 5 times, and we've succeeded most of the time. We won't, however, go for it on 4th and 6 from our own 32 yard line with 2 minutes left when we are winning the game, I can assure you of that!

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Will we go for it on 4th and 2 a lot? I would say yes

We won't, however, go for it on 4th and 6 from our own 32 yard line with 2 minutes left when we are winning the game, I can assure you of that!

If you're alluding to the JMU 4th down it was not 4th and 6... more like 4th and 1 or 1 and a half. Stop making it sound worse than it was.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
If you're alluding to the JMU 4th down it was not 4th and 6... more like 4th and 1 or 1 and a half. Stop making it sound worse than it was.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about hitting ignore on every UR poster that has a join date of Nov. 2007.

I'm sure that JMU was just as bad in Nov. 2004, but this is crazy...

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks.

I'm thinking about hitting ignore on every UR poster that has a join date of Nov. 2007.

I'm sure that JMU was just as bad in Nov. 2004, but this is crazy...

I agree with you, totally out of hand here lately.

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Sorry guys, I only found out about this site a few months ago. I like it. Didn't realize we could only post here if we'd been around for 10 years.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Not to say that we wouldn't like to draw 20,000 people to every game, but for a school with 3,000 students, that's a bit unrealistic. I don't know how many students you guys have, but I bet your attendance is proportionate to it. We had more than 1,000 students at a game this year, which is pretty impressive for that size school. For most home games, we draw between 5,000 and 11,000. That's not bad in a major metropolitan area and state capital where there are plenty of other things to do. No offense to Boone, but I imagine you all are sort of the main form of entertainment during football season, and that can't hurt your attendance.
I lived the first 24 years of my life about 30 minutes from Boone, and the last 5 in Richmond (that's right, I died at 29). Based on what I've seen, I'd say ASU has these advantages over UR when it comes to generating attendence.

Larger enrollment
Larger in-state enrollment
Larger local alumni base
Smaller town
More accomodating facilities
Awful in-state FBS programs
Greater recent success
The largest university in the state isn't on the other side of town

I think the updated on-campus stadium will do wonders for the program. It's a smart athletic department that will move into a smaller facility if that's what is needed.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry guys, I only found out about this site a few months ago. I like it. Didn't realize we could only post here if we'd been around for 10 years.

Hey, everybody's gotta start somewhere...but what a start!!

I think what we're referring to is the fact that UR makes the quarters and all of a sudden multiple posters pop up like their the shizzle. Humility's great, you should try it some time.

jonmac
December 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM

Didn't Ayers go on 4th and 6? I think that's what he was talking about.

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Didn't Ayers go on 4th and 6? I think that's what he was talking about.

I don't believe Wofford went for it "on 4th and 6 from [their] own 32 yard line with 2 minutes left when [they were] winning the game."

Pretty sure it was a JMU jab and another reference to App being lucky.

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Accept my apologies. I watched the JMU game and should have recalled that it was a 4th and 1. Somewhere along the line between now and then I guess I remembered a 4th and 6 play that must have occurred in another game and got the facts mixed up. My point was that no, I would not expect UR to go for it in that situation given the same scenario. We would punt. But we do go for it a lot on 4th and less than 5.

Hoboken Dukes
December 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
i'll be surprised if app state breaks 30 vs. richmond. they only put up 28 on jmu (14 points on drives that started at the 30 and the 2 yard line).

wofford put up 42 on app state.

richmond held wofford to 10 in their house.

maybe they do break 30, but all this continued talk from app state fans about how their offense can't be contained is a bit generous imo.

ASUdrummer
December 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
yeah, we only put up 28 on JMU...but we did that with only having the ball 19 minutes of a 60 minute game. We proved this past weekend (barring Special Teams) that we dominate if we have a close to even time of possession. The only way I see Richmond winning is if they do what JMU did and completely keep our offense off the field. However, I have a feeling we'll score what we need to regardless...

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Wofford put up a lot of points on us because Dexter Jackson left his hands on the bus when they traveled to Spartanburg. I stopped counting the number of punts and kickoffs he dropped next to the endzone (if not in it) for the terriers to pick up.

I hate to sound like a jackass, but when Armanti's shoulder isn't out of whack and K-Rich's ankle isn't sprained, no our offense cannot be contained.

:)

ERASU2113
December 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
i'll be surprised if app state breaks 30 vs. richmond. they only put up 28 on jmu (14 points on drives that started at the 30 and the 2 yard line).

wofford put up 42 on app state.

richmond held wofford to 10 in their house.

maybe they do break 30, but all this continued talk from app state fans about how their offense can't be contained is a bit generous imo.

We don't need to look at the history of the season. Too many things were different when ASU played Wofford...not to mention that game was early in the season compared to now. :)

appstate1998
December 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
ok who on this site does the website for Richmond. On their athletics page it says the Richmond/Appy game

B&G
December 3rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
The only proven way to stop the ASU offense is to keep them off the field. If you control the ball for 35-40 minutes this game, then you will be able to hold us under 30 points. Richmond has some awesome RB's but I don't think they will be the key. Oh yes, they will get their yards. But the key is your QB. Will he make App pay for selling out on the run? Will he stay cool in the pocket and not feel the pressure to make a play when it isn't there. Will he be careful with the ball? It looked like ASU blitzed more versus EWU than they had in many weeks. Since it worked pretty well, then I would expect them to do it some more. I believe this game will be won or lost on the arm of Eric Ward.

If people aren't allowed to talk about our loss to Wofford b/c so much has changed, then that means we can't talk about beating Michigan. Nor can we talk about UR's loss to Towson. Not that many of us are trumpeting that... just a reminder.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
The only proven way to stop the ASU offense is to keep them off the field. If you control the ball for 35-40 minutes this game, then you will be able to hold us under 30 points. Richmond has some awesome RB's but I don't think they will be the key. Oh yes, they will get their yards. But the key is your QB. Will he make App pay for selling out on the run? Will he stay cool in the pocket and not feel the pressure to make a play when it isn't there. Will he be careful with the ball? It looked like ASU blitzed more versus EWU than they had in many weeks. Since it worked pretty well, then I would expect them to do it some more. I believe this game will be won or lost on the arm of Eric Ward.

If people aren't allowed to talk about our loss to Wofford b/c so much has changed, then that means we can't talk about beating Michigan. Nor can we talk about UR's loss to Towson. Not that many of us are trumpeting that... just a reminder.

I agree with you on Ward being a huge key. He has been huge in big games ... in both the UD and Wofford road games, he made some huge 3rd down conversions, mostly to Grayson.

If Ward is positive or neutral on TD's to INT's, we could be in good shape. If he is under water, we are probably in trouble.

Can one of you guys tell me the size of App State's front 4?

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Hey, everybody's gotta start somewhere...but what a start!!

I think what we're referring to is the fact that UR makes the quarters and all of a sudden multiple posters pop up like their the shizzle. Humility's great, you should try it some time.

Wow, you are really sensitive here in Internet land. The last group to talk about humility should be JMU fans. xthumbsupx

Let us have some fun, this is the first time UR's made it this far. Don't worry, you won't hear from us again - until we're picked to win the CAA again next year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Wow, you are really sensitive here in Internet land. The last group to talk about humility should be JMU fans. xthumbsupx

Let us have some fun, this is the first time UR's made it this far. Don't worry, you won't hear from us again - until we're picked to win the CAA again next year.

You found the words I was looking for. Thank you.

We are all well aware of JMU's proud, storied football tradition. Wait, JMU had football fans before they won the NC a few years back? xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Hey, I'm pulling for you all, but I'm not the only one that's caught on (see the first post replying to mine).

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
You found the words I was looking for. Thank you.

We are all well aware of JMU's proud, storied football tradition. Wait, JMU had football fans before they won the NC a few years back? xeyebrowx

Man, you're barking up the wrong tree right there. I've been a Dukes fan since the mid-90's (since the LAST time we lost at the Rock in the playoffs!!xbawlingx ).

It's not just me that's noticed how these UR fans are popping back up on here with their junk (see Bettina...oh yea, and your jackass post)

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
It's all in good fun - remember we are all sitting in front of a computer talking about a game that none of us are playing in. We shouldn't take it so seriously. I think is you remove a lot of crap on this thread, there's a decent game discussion going on here.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a battle. The Hogs are getting an early start on eating their wheaties to wear down the App State D-line and Eric McBride is going to tie his shoes real tight so he can keep up with Mr. Edwards on Friday night.

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Man, you're barking up the wrong tree right there. I've been a Dukes fan since the mid-90's (since the LAST time we lost at the Rock in the playoffs!!xbawlingx ).

It's not just me that's noticed how these UR fans are popping back up on here with their junk (see Bettina...oh yea, and your jackass post)

Like I said, very sensitive. In all truthfullness you kinda sound like the jackass.

B&G
December 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
I agree with you on Ward being a huge key. He has been huge in big games ... in both the UD and Wofford road games, he made some huge 3rd down conversions, mostly to Grayson.

If Ward is positive or neutral on TD's to INT's, we could be in good shape. If he is under water, we are probably in trouble.

Can one of you guys tell me the size of App State's front 4?

We rotate a number of guys but our most effective are:
So. Gary Tharrington 6'1" 275 (has been dinged up a lot this year but has played through it)
So. Anthony Williams 6'1" 285 (run stopper)
So. Tony Robertson 6'2" 240 (pass rusher)
Jr. Tim Washington 6'3" 265 (LSU transfer, plays inside and out. The most physically gifted DL we have)

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
It's all in good fun - remember we are all sitting in front of a computer talking about a game that none of us are playing in. We shouldn't take it so seriously. I think is you remove a lot of crap on this thread, there's a decent game discussion going on here.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a battle. The Hogs are getting an early start on eating their wheaties to wear down the App State D-line and Eric McBride is going to tie his shoes real tight so he can keep up with Mr. Edwards on Friday night.

Agree on the first point. It's just pre-game banter and I can't imagine the collective AGS Lifers would not want any UR representation. As for my Nov 2007 join date, I had actually registered a good while ago but honestly forget the details of login, email, etc and a few things have been updated/changed. And I mostly lurked anyway, not a whole lot of interest in discussing uniforms and future schedules in March, that's baseball season.

Anyway, back to football. One thing ASU fans might want to know, Edwards is obviously a special athlete, but the QBs that have hurt UR this year have been the big, dropback guys with big arms that have gotten the time, namely Flacco, the kid from Towson, and the kid from Nova. All of them had some success against the D, most of the mobile guys Richmond was able to keep a handle on, Landers, Santos (not terrible track record vs. him the last 2 years), and the Wofford kid. That all may or may not mean anything come this time on Friday, but figured it worth mentioninig since a lot of ASU fans have mentioned that they had not seen much of Richmond.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
I agree with you, totally out of hand here lately.

Like I said, very sensitive. In all truthfullness you kinda sound like the jackass.

I guess the guy that agrees with me (trust me, there's probably others) sounds like a jackass too...xrolleyesx

I was just pointing out what a lot of other people were thinking.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM

Then I would have expected that you would have signed on to AGS long before October 2006.

By the way, 1800 posts in just over a year's time is impressive work! xthumbsupx

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM

Seconded.

As for Hiya, the points you listed for ASU's attendance advantage I thought were all spot on. Every single one of those factors contributes.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
We rotate a number of guys but our most effective are:
So. Gary Tharrington 6'1" 275 (has been dinged up a lot this year but has played through it)
So. Anthony Williams 6'1" 285 (run stopper)
So. Tony Robertson 6'2" 240 (pass rusher)
Jr. Tim Washington 6'3" 265 (LSU transfer, plays inside and out. The most physically gifted DL we have)

Thanks for that. Pretty darn big! And young!

How many seniors start on the D?

I am only asking because we hear a lot about Edwards and Richardson, not individual defensive players.

spdram
December 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
ok who on this site does the website for Richmond. On their athletics page it says the Richmond/Appy game

Unfortuanately that is the University run site, have to forgive them though I'm sure they didn't know of the distaste for the "nickname". I only learned of it in the last few days. Our rivals have a few "nicknames" for us that are not appreciated.

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
I guess the guy that agrees with me (trust me, there's probably others) sounds like a jackass too...xrolleyesx

I was just pointing out what a lot of other people were thinking.

And I was pointing out how your messages sounded.

Just to let you know, I've been very respectful towards every App State fan in this thread. I even said the magic words "thank you" for their kind hotel recs and tailgating info - they've been first class.

Back to the football. I think you guys may be a bit surprised how fast our D is - our guys really stick to their assigments and fly to the ball. Its the fastest defense I've seen in my 10+ years around UR football. But then again, I don't think we've faced on offense as fast as yours.

bamamountaineer1013
I am only asking because we hear a lot about Edwards and Richardson, not individual defensive players.

Has anyone heard the word on Richardson lately?

mcveyrl
Then I would have expected that you would have signed on to AGS long before October 2006.

By the way, 1800 posts in just over a year's time is impressive work! xthumbsupx

Hey, I'm not saying you're not a real fan. Geez, if you're on a message board, you're probably a bigger fan than most. My point wasn't your posts (I'm glad to see more Richmond fans on here), it was the attitude in them...

Regarding the post count...I'm lucky to still have my job:D . Stay on here long enough and your general productivity will slip!! In reality, the offseason is worse than the regular season.

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM

Corey Lynch-safety, Justin Woazeah-corner, and Jerome Touchstone-corner (though he has been hurt the past couple of games and I'm not sure if he'll play).

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Just to let you know, I've been very respectful towards every App State fan in this thread. I even said the magic words "thank you" for their kind hotel recs and tailgating info - they've been first class.

Back to the football. I think you guys may be a bit surprised how fast our D is - our guys really stick to their assigments and fly to the ball. Its the fastest defense I've seen in my 10+ years around UR football. But then again, I don't think we've faced on offense as fast as yours.

Then I wasn't really talking about you. BTW, my first post was a bit of hyperbole, I don't put anybody on ignore, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Regarding Richmond's D. They held us to our lowest point total of 16 (and 7 of those points were kind of a fluke play at the end of the first half). We made a lot of mistakes in the first half, but just couldn't do anything in the second.

Edwards will definitely be the fastest QB UR has faced, and the rest of the offense is fast too.

Is Richardson 100%?

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
I've heard the name Richardson lately...

and if I haven't heard it as much it's because he's quasi-injured.

and as far as our starting D, I think we've only got seniors in the secondary...Woazeah, Lynch, and Touchstone. I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure our linebackers are as young as are DL

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
I don't know if I'd say 100%. he was still icing his ankle after the game on saturday. He did play as much as devon moore did though.

and speaking of devon moore...I think we're not in bad shape for the RB position next year

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Unfortuanately that is the University run site, have to forgive them though I'm sure they didn't know of the distaste for the "nickname". I only learned of it in the last few days. Our rivals have a few "nicknames" for us that are not appreciated.

We're just bitter at having ESPN list us as Richmond University during the Wofford broadcast. I think when you play schools that you don't have any history with some of the info comes out wrong.

B&G
Thanks for that. Pretty darn big! And young!

Keep in mind the biggest question mark for us coming into '07 was our DL because we lost three very good players there.

Our LB's need to work on their tackling but they have improved by leaps and bounds:
Jr. Pierre Banks 6' 210 (probably our most complete LB)
So. Jacque Roman 6'1" 240 (big hitter, tackling machine)
Fr. D.J. Smith 6'1" 215 (this guy has come on lately and will be a big star if he stays healthy)
Sr. Cam Speer 6' 215 (brings veteran presence and smarts. Top backup sees considerable time)

... ok still pretty young right? That is until you get to the Secondary:

Sr. Corey Lynch 6' 205 (everyone knows about this guy)
Sr. Justin Woazeah 5'10" 175 (top cover guy)
Sr. Jerome Touchstone 5'7" 170 (tenacious, physical CB for his size)
Sr. Titus Howard 5'11" 200 (solid, but not a star)

As you can see, just like in '07 where we lost a lot on DL. In '08 our questions will be in the defensive backfield.

BigHouseClosedEnd
How is ASU's kicking and punting?

Radford has been a solid punter for us all year. Howard has been a strong kicker most of the season but had a hard time at Wofford.

What time does the tailgating start Friday?

AppGirl
December 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM

Season ticket holders had until 4pm today to reserve their tickets. I don't know if the site now has those available or if they will do that in the morning. So, that's why it looks like there aren't any seats. Better tickets become available Tuesday. xrulesx

Sorry for the redundant reply.xrotatehx

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Our kickers are pretty good, it's the other side of the special teams we're worried about.

spdram
December 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
We're trying to confirm who is coming with us on Friday but plan to get our tickets through UR ticket office. Do you know what section the visitors normally get?

B&G
December 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
How is ASU's kicking and punting?

Radford has been a solid punter for us all year. Howard has been a strong kicker most of the season but had a hard time at Wofford.

What time does the tailgating start Friday?

Julian Rauch started off the season by booting every kickoff into the end zone. Not sure if it's the cold weather or if he's hurt but his kicks have been shorter. He is either 1st or 2nd on ASU in career scoring. He has made some pressure FG's. The extreme-angled game winner at Michigan and a 40+ yarder late against JMU come to mind. We're in good hands there.

Punting... Neil Young is ok. He has something like a 37 yard average and gets some decent hangtime. A few weeks ago I looked at his stats against opponents punting stats vs. ASU and he ranked just below par.

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know the section number, but generally they're on the east side closest to the field house.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
We're trying to confirm who is coming with us on Friday but plan to get our tickets through UR ticket office. Do you know what section the visitors normally get?

Two weeks ago we were in section 8 and our band was in section 7. I think the visitors might have extended to 9 or 10...

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
What kind of travel plans are some of you UR Richmonders making?

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Tim Washington is finally back from his injuries.......which is a huge boost for our DL he played rather decent last week...look to him to have a big game against the Spiders as he backs to form.

spdram
December 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
What kind of travel plans are some of you UR Richmonders making?

Looks like the athletic department is trying to get together a few buses for the students and another for some of the older fans. I know some are flying into Raleigh, Charlotte and a few other places then renting cars to come in. Most will be driving from various areas. My group is in the Richmond area and will be making the trip down, right now we are looking at staying at a friends place in Boone. I would assume we will leave around 11 to arrive around 5.

appsfan
December 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Season ticket holders had until 4pm today to reserve their tickets. I don't know if the site now has those available or if they will do that in the morning. So, that's why it looks like there aren't any seats. Better tickets become available Tuesday. xrulesx

Sorry for the redundant reply.xrotatehx

I checked earlier this evening and those unused seats are available now- get them while the getting is good!xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Our group is leaving Richmond around 8am. That is why I am wondering when the lots open for tailgate. Anyone know?

spdram
December 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
BigHouse let me know which lot you hope to be in once you find out. I can be reached through Spidernation contact us or I think you know how to URFan1.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
I will be in touch. 6 of us are coming and we are leaving the women and children behind.

Went over to the RC to order tickets and stopped by the bookstore to grab some schwag. Ironically enough, Timmy H was walking out of the Commons when I was on my way in.

App Storm
December 3rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Good luck finding a tailgate spot close to the stadium, especially under the cover of darkness. I'm not saying you can't find a location but the stadium lot, River Street Parking Deck, and Raley Hall parking (next closest lot) are reserved for YOSEF Club Members (booster club) and season ticket holders.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Our group is leaving Richmond around 8am. That is why I am wondering when the lots open for tailgate. Anyone know?
It's going to be a mess since the game is on Friday. I'm guessing details will become clearer by Thursday or so. The University will do as much as it can to be accommodating.

Word is one of the larger accounting exams has been rescheduled to free up some spots in the business school parking lot, which tends to be a large tailgate spot. The stadium lot is small and all reserved.

The Greenwood lot, which tends to have more than enough space for tailgaters on Saturday (but may be full of students on Fri) is usually a good option, even for visiting fans. Here's an online map (http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/tailgateattherock/tailgatemap.html).

Saw lots of GaSo-ers up there last time I was there.

I imagine I'll be leaving RVA between 9 and 10. Getting to town early is a great idea. Boone traffic can be pretty crazy on Friday, and the University is in uncharted territory with trying to host a Friday night game during finals. Some level of inconvenience is to be expected, I'm sure.

jonmac
December 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
It's going to be a mess since the game is on Friday. I'm guessing details will become clearer by Thursday or so. The University will do as much as it can to be accommodating.

Word is one of the larger accounting exams has been rescheduled to free up some spots in the business school parking lot, which tends to be a large tailgate spot. The stadium lot is small and all reserved.

The Greenwood lot, which tends to have more than enough space for tailgaters on Saturday (but may be full of students on Fri) is usually a good option, even for visiting fans. Here's an online map (http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/tailgateattherock/tailgatemap.html).

I imagine I'll be leaving RVA between 9 and 10. Getting to town early is a great idea. Boone traffic can be pretty crazy on Friday, and the University is in uncharted territory with trying to host a Friday night game during finals. Some level of inconvenience is to be expected, I'm sure.

I hope all attending will remember and appreciate this when the inevitable inconvenience is experienced. Wish I could experience it. I'm thankful for ESPN.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM

Thanks for that! xthumbsupx

APPride
December 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Keep in mind the biggest question mark for us coming into '07 was our DL because we lost three very good players there.

Our LB's need to work on their tackling but they have improved by leaps and bounds:
Jr. Pierre Banks 6' 210 (probably our most complete LB)
So. Jacque Roman 6'1" 240 (big hitter, tackling machine)
Fr. D.J. Smith 6'1" 215 (this guy has come on lately and will be a big star if he stays healthy)
Sr. Cam Speer 6' 215 (brings veteran presence and smarts. Top backup sees considerable time)

... ok still pretty young right? That is until you get to the Secondary:

Sr. Corey Lynch 6' 205 (everyone knows about this guy)
Sr. Justin Woazeah 5'10" 175 (top cover guy)
Sr. Jerome Touchstone 5'7" 170 (tenacious, physical CB for his size)
Sr. Titus Howard 5'11" 200 (solid, but not a star)

As you can see, just like in '07 where we lost a lot on DL. In '08 our questions will be in the defensive backfield.

D.J., coulda gone ANYWHERE...chose APP for the immediate starting possibilities (hate that for Cam, a proven performer), an example of "stealing one" from the big boys... D.J. was a 4 year state champion at Charlotte Independence, undefeated during his tenure, and he was their team MVP last year. He is due for a statement game...xbowx xbowx

ur2k
December 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Good luck finding a tailgate spot close to the stadium, especially under the cover of darkness. I'm not saying you can't find a location but the stadium lot, River Street Parking Deck, and Raley Hall parking (next closest lot) are reserved for YOSEF Club Members (booster club) and season ticket holders.

So would it be safe to assume that our best bet would be to seek out the Greewood or South Lots? We'll be in Boone around 2 and will be tailgating as soon as they let us.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Just a few notes for the UR fans driving down for the game.

Watch your speed limit......Our group actually went down Friday evening and drove to the stadium on Saturday and parked in the garage.

Must have a bbq sandwich at the stadium..located in the booth by the scoreboard......

To confirm an earlier post, our seats were in section 8.

Good luck.......

ronpayne
December 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Julian Rauch started off the season by booting every kickoff into the end zone. Not sure if it's the cold weather or if he's hurt but his kicks have been shorter. He is either 1st or 2nd on ASU in career scoring. He has made some pressure FG's. The extreme-angled game winner at Michigan and a 40+ yarder late against JMU come to mind. We're in good hands there.

Punting... Neil Young is ok. He has something like a 37 yard average and gets some decent hangtime. A few weeks ago I looked at his stats against opponents punting stats vs. ASU and he ranked just below par.

Neil Young would probably be better if he got to play more, durned offense...

I'm the dummy who scheduled a major fundraiser delivery (11.5 tons of fruit) on the same day as the national championship, so I'll be having to watch it (and hopefully my Mountaineers) play from home.

Looking forward to a good game. If App brings their "A" game to the Rock, UR will have problems, likewise if UR doesn't bring their "A" game. However, if either team starts to have a bad night because of the weather, or our team is sluggish due to a probable low turnout, it could make things real close. Looks to be a good matchup!

How is UR's band, and are they bringing a group for Friday night? Also, are the Marching Mountaineers going to be full strength? I know when I was in, we always started to have issues with playoffs around exams, then again, we weren't winning national championships when I was there, so maybe getting them to come won't be a problem.

Safe travels to all - looks be a little messy possibly this week!

Go Apps!xcoffeex (Hot Chocolate, yum)

ronpayne
December 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM

Watch your speed limit......Our group actually went down Friday evening and drove to the stadium on Saturday and parked in the garage.

Must have a bbq sandwich at the stadium..located in the booth by the scoreboard......

Good luck.......

At risk of sounding repetitive, please do slow down when you get close to Boone around Wilkesboro on Hwy 421. The troopers in Wilkes County get real excited around the end of the semester and on game days, and we seem to be having both of those events this weekend, so I fully expect every trooper in Wilkes to be out and about (all 5 of them, haha!), but seriously, slow down. They are out fishing for you!

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
How is UR's band, and are they bringing a group for Friday night? Also, are the Marching Mountaineers going to be full strength? I know when I was in, we always started to have issues with playoffs around exams, then again, we weren't winning national championships when I was there, so maybe getting them to come won't be a problem.

Safe travels to all - looks be a little messy possibly this week!

Go Apps!xcoffeex (Hot Chocolate, yum)

We don't have a band -- too small for that. We did have an alumni kazoo band but the authorities shut them down against Eastern Kentucky. Not allowed to make any artificial noise in the crowd, apparently. Who knew?

hApPYaPpYFan
December 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but don't speed, after the JMU game I saw 3 cars with Virginia plates pulled over. Last week I saw 4-5 cars pulled over on 421 between Wilkesboro and Boone. Safe travels to all Richmond fans making the trip! Hope you have a great time at The Rock.......great football atmosphere.

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Good luck.......

AH-HAH! I wondered who ate all of those...CAN'T BELIEVE THEY RAN OUT! xoopsx

MountaineerGuy
December 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Yeah...I got up to the window and had to settle for the chili. It's not bad chili.....but you can't beat those Woodlands BBQ sandwiches

spdram
December 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the tips on speed, always good to have a heads up where smokey is lurking --- but then I would never speed anyway! :D

ab4app
December 4th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Injury update for app? what are we lookin like this week xeyebrowx

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM

What you won't get usually from Young is any kind of a punt return. He sacrifices distance for hangtime. I cannot remember more than a handful of his punts not being fair caught or downed by ASU. Won't give you the boomer but also won't get killed by a long return on punts.

BarefootApp
December 4th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I wonder who is calling the game for espn2. Would be nice if it were "Cupcake" ("according to my sources") Herbstreit.

proasu89
December 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I got mine last week about 30 mins before the game. Barely finished it before the Anthem. It was probably the best one I've ever had at the game. Think I'm going to Blowing Rock today to get anotherxthumbsupx

rjg129
December 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM

theyve ran out two weeks in a row...i always sit on the hill and that line can stretch for days

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Just got an e-mail saying the Yosef club lots (Stadium, Justice, Chem & Physics, Duncan, and Raley) will open to tailgaters at 5pm. The message also said that, in a few of those lots, there will be some parking-space-shuffling to accomodate students who need exam-time parking.

For the saturday noon games, 8:30 (I believe) was the advertised opening time for tailgaters. However, lots of folks arrived early without problems (myself included for the JMU game). I don't expect that will be the case on a Friday afternoon, when parking spaces will be in higher demand. So 5pm probably means 5pm.

For you UR folks, these lot openings don't so much affect you. Maybe the other lots will open at 5 as well, though. Keep checking ASU's tailgating page (http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/tailgateattherock/index.html) for details.

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I got mine last week about 30 mins before the game. Barely finished it before the Anthem. It was probably the best one I've ever had at the game. Think I'm going to Blowing Rock today to get anotherxthumbsupx

as my son says...DUDE...why ya gotta tease us like that? my car wants to head north off of I-40 now for a large chopped plate, hot cornbread and sweet tea in a mason jar...
but seriously hasn't the setup over @ the scoreboard been Bandanas and not Woodlands? I know last year it was Woodlands under the west stands?

AlphaSigMD
December 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM
as my son says...DUDE...why ya gotta tease us like that? my car wants to head north off of I-40 now for a large chopped plate, hot cornbread and sweet tea in a mason jar...
but seriously hasn't the setup over @ the scoreboard been Bandanas and not Woodlands? I know last year it was Woodlands under the west stands?

must be the construction. But, thats still no reason to not bring as much pig, in my opinion.

rjg129
December 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I dont remember bandana's being over there, i always thought it was woodlands

mountaineertider
December 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Accounting Exam moved to Monday night = getting in line early.

YES!

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Accounting Exam moved to Monday night = getting in line early.

YES!

new age accounting...FIBS...1st in, best seat xnodx xnodx xnodx

sounds like an executive P-Cock order to postpone anything of lesser importance!

AlphaSigMD
December 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I would expect nothing less from Peacock. He'll give any breaks necessary to support the team.

Overall, I think they had a great hire. Replacing Dr. Borkowski wasn't easy, as he was well liked, but I think that Dr. Peacock is even more so due to his high visible football antics.

Now, lets just give class extra credit for attending football games, kinda like they do for convocation.

proasu89
December 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Sorry about rubbin it in. It's always been Woodlands at the game. Called an audible and went to Knights on Main for the flounder, pintos, and sweet tea. I'll wait till Friday night for Woodlands.xthumbsupx

Lizzie_ASUband
December 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM

marching mountaineers will be there but as to full strength, who knows. the past two years i was in (championship time) the game was on saturday and it never seemed to effect us too badly. the big thing is by then everyone's just tired b/c they're not used to marching this many games .

rjg129
December 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I would expect nothing less from Peacock. He'll give any breaks necessary to support the team.

Overall, I think they had a great hire. Replacing Dr. Borkowski wasn't easy, as he was well liked, but I think that Dr. Peacock is even more so due to his high visible football antics.

Now, lets just give class extra credit for attending football games, kinda like they do for convocation.

i would have graduated with honors:D

B&G
December 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Just please don't give us the Rod Gilmore/Trevor Mattich pupu platter for the game. Those guys are dreadful. But at least they should be familiar with ASU after doing the last two Nat'l Title games.

mountaineertider
December 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Supposedly, they had to push it back for parking in Raley, but I'm not buying it.

We all know the professors wanted to go to the game. ;)

CrackerRiley
December 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Supposedly, they had to push it back for parking in Raley, but I'm not buying it.

We all know the professors wanted to go to the game. ;)
if you had Martinelli for accounting you wouldn't think that. he was pissed.

mountaineertider
December 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM
really? My professor, Dr. K, isn't gonna be there cause she's giving the exam at the same time in case someone can't make the time on Monday. But she was happy they changed it to Monday so there wouldn't be that hassle to deal with during the final.

I guess Martinelli was the one putting up 'spirited debate' she talked about today in class.

CrackerRiley
December 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
haha, im sure he was. We are having our accounting exam on reading day, though. i dont mind too much cause its better than having it Friday

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
marching mountaineers will be there but as to full strength, who knows. the past two years i was in (championship time) the game was on saturday and it never seemed to effect us too badly. the big thing is by then everyone's just tired b/c they're not used to marching this many games .

even w/ 2 years of practice doing so? xsmiley_wix all MM's buck up & thanks for the show! xthumbsupx

texcap
December 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM

It may be the main form of entertainment, but it is for a very small maountain town. The town is only about 15,000. Remember, Boone is in the mountains and the majority of those fans (not counting students) are traveling at least 2 hours to get to the game. It is not just the casual fan who has nothing else to do that afternoon.

biggie
December 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM
if you had Martinelli for accounting you wouldn't think that. he was pissed.

Well he's crazy, at least he was 7-8 yrs ago.

CrackerRiley
December 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Well he's crazy, at least he was 7-8 yrs ago.
Yeah, he's still crazy.... Making him my favorite teacher of all time xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I dont remember bandana's being over there, i always thought it was woodlands

I believe it was Bandana's under the scoreboard, Woodlands (since I got to App in 99) has been set up under the West Stands. I am just glad there is no doubt Woodlands BBQ Sandwiches make to the Rock.

URMite
December 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM

As opposed to our last president who tried to get homecoming scheduled during fall break...xnonono2x

So glad that's over with.:D

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Ugh, Dr. Tbag, you know how I feel about Dr. Bo-Bo-kowski. I think Peacock is a great hire. An equally great hire was Charlie Cobb. Even though he's a Wolfpack guy, he has done an excellent job with our Athletics Department.

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard! Marching 1 game a week for 15 weeks is not hard. At. All. xnonox

Sounds like it's time for some strength and conditioning trainers for the band! xnodx

Boone4280
December 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Any news on Kevin Richardson's knee? i know he played on Saturday, and did fine, but is there a current status on anything? Any other injuries???

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard! Marching 1 game a week for 15 weeks is not hard. At. All. xnonox

Sounds like it's time for some strength and conditioning trainers for the band! xnodx

Of course, I'm sure the band doesn't practice during those 15 weeks...It just sort of...happens.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Q

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Q

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Q

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Of course, I'm sure the band doesn't practice during those 15 weeks...It just sort of...happens.
Maybe we just enjoyed our marching band more or something. xcoffeex

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe we just enjoyed our marching band more or something. xcoffeex

xconfusedx xconfusedx

I was talking about the band having to practice to be enjoyed...I didn't say anything about our band...

xconfusedx xconfusedx

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Q

I always love how the guy who attended Sausagefest U pulls this.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I always love how the guy who attended Sausagefest U pulls this.

"how do you expect me to feed my whole family with the 12oz jimmy dean sausage?"

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Any news on Kevin Richardson's knee? i know he played on Saturday, and did fine, but is there a current status on anything? Any other injuries???
knee?

MountaineerGuy
December 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it was his ankle...and the press release for player statuses are generally on Wednesday. I haven't heard anything yet. They may have moved it up to Tuesday since the game is on Friday, but I don't think so.

Boone4280
December 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
ankle, dont know why i typed that.

Mike G.
December 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM

What is wrong with you! Band puts in tons of hours and works their butts off for football and are underappreciated. A typical saturday starts with practice at 8 and working until 7 or 8 at night. I was on the feild for two hours in 27 degrees and 45 mile an hour winds, working on a halftime show for friday. LEAVE BAND OUT OF THIS, JOIN UP IF YOU THINK ITS SO EASY.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
What is wrong with you! Band puts in tons of hours and works their butts off for football and are underappreciated. A typical saturday starts with practice at 8 and working until 7 or 8 at night. I was on the feild for two hours in 27 degrees and 45 mile an hour winds, working on a halftime show for friday. LEAVE BAND OUT OF THIS, JOIN UP IF YOU THINK ITS SO EASY.

I think the ASU band does a fabulous job & sounds great. I understand the many hours of practice it takes to put in such a fine performance. Don't let the negative AGS posters get you down. You really do add to the entire gameday experience.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Hey man, I tried to stand up for you guys, but got trashed...

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I've done my time in marching band. I know how hard it is. But to whine about playoff games because you're tired of practice is L A M E. xtwocentsx

I would have welcomed as many extra games as I could get when I was marching. I loved it!

To make it clear: MMs are great! Whining about being tired because of playoffs = lame.

Mike G.
December 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Now on to football. The apps are at home, anyone who thinks that that doesnt mean that much is crazy. 1 loss in 4 years is huge. And also to the Richmond fans, the apps had a huge boost last weekend by scoring first and not ever trailing the whole game. That hasnt happened since, i cant remember. Huge boost for Defense. I think the games gonna be real close, i wont take anything away from Richmond or their running game. But if it comes to who can score more, its the apps. All the discussion has been Richmond O vs. Appstate D. How bout Apps O. Im callin Appalachian by 3, possibly beating a better Richmond team.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I've done my time in marching band. I know how hard it is. But to whine about playoff games because you're tired of practice is L A M E. xtwocentsx

I'll agree with this (I was disagreeing about the whole 1 perf. per week).

Mike G.
December 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I would have welcomed as many extra games as I could get when I was marching. I loved it!

To make it clear: MMs are great! Whining about being tired because of playoffs = lame.

I aint whining, i love the playoffs, and im more exited about friday then i have been since 8 am Sept. 1st. But she's right, i was hurting pretty bad after saturdays game, and i dont relish sitting out in the cold. Doesnt mean I would ever skip the game by any means, just means its harder then it was in september.

jonmac
December 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Ugh, Dr. Tbag, you know how I feel about Dr. Bo-Bo-kowski. I think Peacock is a great hire. An equally great hire was Charlie Cobb. Even though he's a Wolfpack guy, he has done an excellent job with our Athletics Department.

I think Cobb seems to be a "wherever I am is going to be the best thing going" guy. Agreed, great hire. I like the fact that he is out and about during games and not just with all the big wigs. Hope it doesn't change when there are luxury boxes. Was very impressed during last year's Furman game when he got right in the face of a jerk of an App fan that was really giving some Furman fans a hard time. Yes, we do have some jerk fans.

FightinBluHen51
December 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Makes two of us as an ex-UD band member. Decemember football = tons of fun.

FightinBluHen51
December 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I aint whining, i love the playoffs, and im more exited about friday then i have been since 8 am Sept. 1st. But she's right, i was hurting pretty bad after saturdays game, and i dont relish sitting out in the cold. Doesnt mean I would ever skip the game by any means, just means its harder then it was in september.
Just means you need to wear more under the uniform.

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I think Cobb seems to be a "wherever I am is going to be the best thing going" guy. Agreed, great hire. I like the fact that he is out and about during games and not just with all the big wigs. Hope it doesn't change when there are luxury boxes. Was very impressed during last year's Furman game when he got right in the face of a jerk of an App fan that was really giving some Furman fans a hard time. Yes, we do have some jerk fans.

Agreed.

Mike G.
December 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Just means you need to wear more under the uniform.

when was the last time you were in boone. you can protect from the cold, but you cant avoid it.

Appdad
December 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
when was the last time you were in boone. you can protect from the cold, but you cant avoid it.

I prefer it to the 100 degree heat during the Wofford game!:)

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
right now there are 77 tickets left to choose from on the ticketing website. About 40+ in section 2A and 30+ in 5A. Is this it? am I missing something here because thats a sellout.

back2back
December 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Some season ticket holders will decline their seats and those will probably be freed up tomorrow. If they do decline I say they give up their chance for NC tickets. Anyone out there know if it has been decided what side the ASU/Richmond winner will have for the Championship game? According to goasu us regular fans, who have been attending game since 1988 religiously, cannot get tickets until Monday at 9am (what a crock). I will probably go online at the NCAA site and get tickets before I take the chance of waiting until Monday.

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Some season ticket holders will decline their seats and those will probably be freed up tomorrow. If they do decline I say they give up their chance for NC tickets. Anyone out there know if it has been decided what side the ASU/Richmond winner will have for the Championship game? According to goasu us regular fans, who have been attending game since 1988 religiously, cannot get tickets until Monday at 9am (what a crock). I will probably go online at the NCAA site and get tickets before I take the chance of waiting until Monday.

I thought it was discussed yesterday they were freed up at 4:00 yesterday...some of the seats that are currently available in 5A are season tics it looks like to me...
if not, we only have about 6,000 season tic holders, if half do not go then that would mean only an additional 3,000 seats would be avail? looks like a good crowd comin is what I am saying...

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I thought it was discussed yesterday they were freed up at 4:00 yesterday...some of the seats that are currently available in 5A are season tics it looks like to me...
if not, we only have about 6,000 season tic holders, if half do not go then that would mean only an additional 3,000 seats would be avail? looks like a good crowd comin is what I am saying...

I agree, I have 7 season seats and declined 2 yesterday to be sold. I believe they have been available since yesterday. Regardless, looks like a better turnout than the EWU game. I will be in line at the ticket window after the game to get my tickets if we punch our way to Chatty.

feb18blacksunday
December 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I wonder how many tickets each person will be allowed to purchase?

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I wonder how many tickets each person will be allowed to purchase?

That wasn't included in the YC e-mail. Excellent question though. I am going to try and find that out.

feb18blacksunday
December 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I hope that we get plenty of peeps goin....too many will stay home and watch tv.:(

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
That wasn't included in the YC e-mail. Excellent question though. I am going to try and find that out.

well last year I was disappointed w/ the tix we got for the NC...bought tix in the Yosef line about 1 hour after YSU game and they ended up being on -10 yard line, 4 seats against the concrete wall...I wonder if yosef club/season tic holders get priority/better seats than just yosef clubbers? and if it would be better to not get the "priority" seats that are the 1st ones available since the best that got me last year was the -10 yard line up against the concrete wall...

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
well last year I was disappointed w/ the tix we got for the NC...bought tix in the Yosef line about 1 hour after YSU game and they ended up being on -10 yard line, 4 seats against the concrete wall...I wonder if yosef club/season tic holders get priority/better seats than just yosef clubbers? and if it would be better to not get the "priority" seats that are the 1st ones available since the best that got me last year was the -10 yard line up against the concrete wall...

Its hard to say. Maybe I will just wait in line and see what they have, if they are bad tickets, maybe I'll wait or try and get them on eBay or something.

APPride
December 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Its hard to say. Maybe I will just wait in line and see what they have, if they are bad tickets, maybe I'll wait or try and get them on eBay or something.

yeah, I'm gonna have a seating chart w/ me! (Just hope I get to use it xpeacex )

appsfan
December 4th, 2007, 10:01 PM

I haven't read the posts after yours so this might have been answered already. According to GoASU.com the lots open at 5pm due to exams.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I plan on waiting in line till i can get tix after the game... assuming we win... last year i got good tix on the 25 yard line as a student... if that doesnt work... i will line up at the holmes center the next morning...

appsfan
December 4th, 2007, 10:12 PM

Mike G, I just want to let you and all other band members know that you are much appreciated. You guys (and gals) do a great job and are a large part of The Rock's homefield advantage. Keep up the good work.xthumbsupx You are "North Carolina's Band of Distinction!"

Mike G.
December 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks appsfan, feels good to get positive feedback from the fans. I know that me and my friends in the band love Appalachian football as much as anyone, but it feels good to hear from the fans.

T-Dog
December 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I plan on waiting in line till i can get tix after the game... assuming we win... last year i got good tix on the 25 yard line as a student... if that doesnt work... i will line up at the holmes center the next morning...

Last year I waited three hours in line on Monday for Nat'l Champ tickets. Not happening again. After the celebration last year I went to the tix office and they JUST closed it. xmadx They had one person who got in before they "closed" so I was pleading to get mine but no dice. xnonono2x

IF WE WIN OR IT'S BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, I'll grab my tickets before the end of the game and go back in the stands to avoid the long lines. Either which way IF WE WIN, I'm grabbing my tickets before I leave the stadium area. xthumbsupx

(If I forget or if by some way I can't get them and remember, I'm camping out infront of the ticket office that night. xnodx No if's, and's or but's. I'm getting my darn tickets. I don't care how cold it is.) xsmiley_wix

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks appsfan, feels good to get positive feedback from the fans. I know that me and my friends in the band love Appalachian football as much as anyone, but it feels good to hear from the fans.

heck yea man, everybody loves yall, and i can speak for myself and my friends....you are very appreciated. i hear yall working hard in the cold, and i listen, we all listen, and it adds to the atmosphere. thank you.

ASUdrummer
December 5th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Mike G, I just want to let you and all other band members know that you are much appreciated. You guys (and gals) do a great job and are a large part of The Rock's homefield advantage. Keep up the good work.xthumbsupx You are "North Carolina's Band of Distinction!"

That truly means a lot. We have a special thing at Appalachian when the athletics program supports the band as much as ours does. It's nice to have that coming from the fans as well. We're not just there b/c we have to be, it's because we CHOOSE to be. We love our school and our football team...plus, I get a reserved seat in the N.C. haha...Go Apps!!!

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Glad you guys make it to every game. The band gets me pumped. I was glad you guys made it to Michigan. We were on the front row right behind you guys. I sang "Hi-Hi Yikas" so much, I lost my voice by the end of the first quarter. xbowx

OldRef
December 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Appster, I was in the stands during those days as well!! Y'all are making me feel extra old!

I guess I age myself when I remember all the "fans" hollaring for Rochael Laney's head for hiring Coach Moore

Bandwagon or true fan....we are all fans!

#72 App
December 5th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Have not been to this site in a while, Scott Kadlub here, played at App from '93-'96, member of 75th Anniversary team. I was with the gentleman you are speaking about at the Furman game, when I do make it to a game, I live in Tampa, FL, I stand right there behind the visitor's section with some other ex-players and fans. I played with the older brother of the gentleman you are speaking about and was there when Charlie Cobb came into the stands.

It was good natured razing by both sides Furman/App during the first half. Once the game got out of hand was wend 2 Furman fans starting taking it a bit personal and got fired up. There was no cussing, just typical college football fans going at each other. We happen to be standing next to Charlie Cobb's brother who graduated from Furman (I bet that had nothing to do with it). Lets not bring up the names we were being called, the typical Hillbillies, rednecks, etc. (Funny, I was born in Chicago, grew up in Tampa, but because I play football at APP, I met that criteria).

In short, it was the Furman fans that turned once Corey Lynch returned the blocked field goal for a TD and the game was virtually over. So lets get facts straight. I spoke to Charile Cobb about the incident and it died down after a couple days.

I agree Charile Cobb is the right man for the job, this program should have been like this 12 years ago, when we had a good enough team to win 2 National Championships also, but the support was not there, some better coaches, No Roachel Laney there now and a different offense, and staying healthy for the most part now. I wish we had a better Div. I team scheduled for the first game in '95, we could have beat a lot of teams that year, that could have been the catalyst to start what is hapenning now with the program. No national Championships back then, but we are still the only undeafeated team, injuries and coaching killed us in the playoffs but what are you going do.

By the way I will be there Friday, and the best route to get tickets is to have somebody on a computer as soon as you know the Semi-final game is over and buy them through the NCAA website.

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I'm glad you're there to pump up the home crowd! Guess I had the opposite reaction to cold weather.

I was in the Clemson Tiger Band and we hated the early games because it was so freakin' hot! We went to FSU one game and had several people pass out because our director wouldn't let us remove our uniform jackets while we were in the stands. The fact that that was the first thing the FSU band did should have been a clue. xnonono2x

All your shouting and playing should be able to keep you toasty warm! xthumbsupx

#72 App
December 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM
As for the game Friday Night, I am glad it is Richmond and not Woffors, playing a team that has already beat you is an advantage to the winning team from previous game. There is a confidence level, I know there wer many factors as to why Wofford won, but they won and that is all that meeters, I would rather play Georgia Southern again than Wofford.

I would rather have them face the traditional Power I of Richmond than the damn "Wing Bone" of Wofford.

The App defense is different then they were earlier in the year, DJ Smith will be in the NFL as he is a damn good player as a True Freshman, the D-Line is getting better every week, Cortez Gilbert replacing Touchstone played extremely well last week. Good to see Camp Spears in there making plays again and the linebackers are filling gaps better at the line of scrimmage.

As for the offense, they have been doing it on the ground, take that away, which is pretty much impossible to take away and you open up a potent passing attack that has not really been seen that much this year (i.e. remember the Richie Williams days of throwing for 400 yds a game) it can be done, just not needed when you can ground out 350 yds a game on the ground. Remember JMU's rush defense was better (22nd) if you take away the two early fumbles for App that is a different game.

Richmond's (ranked 28th against run)defense is pretty good, but against the run they only give up 14 yds per game less then Eastern Wash (ranked 39th), so they will have to everything they can to try and stop the run, there 75th ranked Pass defense will have its hands full. Honestly I see a 300+ throwing game coming, at least if I were coach that is what I would do.

As said in earlier posts, Richmond's only chance is to have long drives that eat up clock and score at the end of those drives. Being App's weakness (ranked 95th against the run) we know what they will try and do. Have to give them credit they are here and have done it on the road, but Boone is a tough place to play on the road, hopefully people don't wuss out and watch it on TV.

I see experience in the playoffs, home field advantage and just an incredible offense if it does not stop itself being to much for Richmond.

#72 App
December 5th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I'm glad you're there to pump up the home crowd! Guess I had the opposite reaction to cold weather.

I was in the Clemson Tiger Band and we hated the early games because it was so freakin' hot! We went to FSU one game and had several people pass out because our director wouldn't let us remove our uniform jackets while we were in the stands. The fact that that was the first thing the FSU band did should have been a clue. xnonono2x

All your shouting and playing should be able to keep you toasty warm! xthumbsupx
By the way, the Band rocks, always has, they were there when our student following was a couple hundred. They don't stay home to watch it on TV, the band is just as important as full stands.

Thanks!

appfan2008
December 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM
good idea #72 about having somebody buy the tickets online as soon as you know who wins!

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I just checked the weather channel here in Richmond, and...

Rain and Snow this afternoon and tonight...some slush accumulation expected overnight.

Oh well...it looks like the game's going to be on Monday, now.

Eight Legger
December 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Not trying to be a jerk, but I find it humorous how most Appy fans here are saying things like "Richmond's only chance is if they do X,Y,Z" or "we're the clear favorite because we are at home." I admit you guys should be the favorite given everything you have done this year and in the past.

However. . .you have won both games this postseason by a total of four points at home. We beat JMU on the road and they pretty much outplayed you for the entire game at your place. EWU finished second in its league to a team that Wofford beat on the road. . . We beat Wofford at its place by the same number of points you lost to them there.

Do you really think Richmond is that much worse that JMU and EWU that you are predicting we will lose by two touchdowns and give up 42 points?? All because of "experience" and "The Rock" -- two things that seemingly haven't really made much of a difference in your last two games?

Anything is possible, but I just think those of you who expect to win this game no matter what may be in for a surprise.

biggie
December 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Teams matchup differently, can't compare who played who, who played someone else, who played another team in a different conference...

I, like most people I think, look at what each team does well and what each team has a weakness at and judge what I think will happen. Its been fairly accurate each week, but I don't post predictions or anything as I consider it a possible jinx.

phillyAPP
December 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Not trying to be a jerk, but I find it humorous how most Appy fans here are saying things like "Richmond's only chance is if they do X,Y,Z" or "we're the clear favorite because we are at home." I admit you guys should be the favorite given everything you have done this year and in the past.

However. . .you have won both games this postseason by a total of four points at home. We beat JMU on the road and they pretty much outplayed you for the entire game at your place. EWU finished second in its league to a team that Wofford beat on the road. . . We beat Wofford at its place by the same number of points you lost to them there.

Do you really think Richmond is that much worse that JMU and EWU that you are predicting we will lose by two touchdowns and give up 42 points?? All because of "experience" and "The Rock" -- two things that seemingly haven't really made much of a difference in your last two games?

Anything is possible, but I just think those of you who expect to win this game no matter what may be in for a surprise.

Eight legger , you are right on the money. THIS IS THE FINAL 4. EVERY TEAM IS VERY GOOD AND ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

I hope you have a safe trip to Boone and "IT WILL be a great game". THAT i CAN SAY WITH TRUTH AND CONFIDENCE.

I HATE GUESS'ERS/PREDICTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GGASU
December 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM
good idea #72 about having somebody buy the tickets online as soon as you know who wins!

I would keep an eye on championship ticket sales before the game Friday.

About half of the championship tickets are gone that were available at the beginning of the week. At this pace there will only be a few left before the game Friday night.

Bettina90
December 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM
UR's pass defense stats need a little bit of clarification.

For one, they faced Joe Flacco in a 5 OT game. The also faced Ricky Santos in a shootout that barely avoided OT. And Nova against that Big WR of theirs that was just unstoppable that day. And they have a very young D that's grown up all year. Also had a very good DB (Horton) miss a few games. And lastly, in general, the QBs that have given them trouble are the ones with big arms and a little more pocket presence than Edwards. I think he is gonna have to burn them with his feet if ASU has "any chance to win", LOL. Not that he's not more than capable.

asu70
December 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I love the way you guys get Loud and Proud when our guys are on defense! This makes it very difficult for the opposing team's offense to hear the snap count or audibles. Keep up the good work!

Bettina90
December 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
My plan for Championship game tix will be to come here and PM all the ASU people that have already bought them and offer them pennies on the dollar, since the crowd will likely be so small if UR gets there.

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
My plan for Championship game tix will be to come here and PM all the ASU people that have already bought them and offer them pennies on the dollar, since the crowd will likely be so small if UR gets there.
xrolleyesx

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I would keep an eye on championship ticket sales before the game Friday.

About half of the championship tickets are gone that were available at the beginning of the week. At this pace there will only be a few left before the game Friday night.

Schools are allotted so many to sell in addition to those the NCAA is selling on the website. My guess is, some of those that are unavailable now, will be freed up once schools punch their tickets.

GGASU
December 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Schools are allotted so many to sell in addition to those the NCAA is selling on the website. My guess is, some of those that are unavailable now, will be freed up once schools punch their tickets.

The only way they would be freed up is if the school doesn't need the amount of tickets that Chattanooga is holding for them.

UNI in 2005 returned around 1000 tickets of their allotment, and they became available a couple days before the game. Last year UMass only requested around 1000 tickets, and sold most if not all they had.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Delaware's requested at least 3,000 and they certainly won't return any if the Hens are fortunate enough to get past SIU this weekend.

Mike G.
December 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Well Eight Legger, the answer is no. I think that EWU is not nearly as good as the pieces and stats i have seen of Richmond. As for JMU, I think the two schools are pretty close, with a slight advantage to Richmond. Here's the difference. Throw out the EWU game, we led the whole time and they got 21 points on special teams, it wont happen again. JMU'S offense was built to attack our exact weakness. The run game is and has been our downfall this season. Im not saying that Richmond cannot run, I know they can, and do it well. But honestly, if you put the two run games against each other, JMU wins every time. Dont get me wrong, I believe Richmond is a great team.

As for the Rock, you are a fool if you think it doesnt mean anything. It may not seem like alot, but we would have lost the JMU game on the road, there is no doubt in my mind. We've lost once at home in four years, the team plays better there is no doubt. Plus the fans made EWU call at least 3 timeouts cause they couldnt hear the playcalls. May not ensure victory to appalachian, but it sure helps.

spdram
December 5th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Betina, you left out the Superman day the QB from Towson (Shaffer ?)had, it took that for them to beat us that day and it was the worst game we played all year. He was 29/33 with 2 throw aways and 2 drops by his receivers. It was an all-pro day for him, never seen a QB have a day like that at this level.

Eight Legger the Apps should remain confident, they should they are favored, they are the two time defending NC's, they are playing at home, they are getting better each week, they are getting healthy while we keep getting beaten up, they don't lose often at the "Rock", the SoCon is better than the CAA, their QB's better, we can't pass against them, we'll be lucky if they don't blow us out.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I will guarantee one thing the Spiders will be there to win!

Grabholdofyosef
December 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Here is a path with some info. The ticket information is at the bottom.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11361/

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Betina, you left out the Superman day the QB from Towson (Shaffer ?)had, it took that for them to beat us that day and it was the worst game we played all year. He was 29/33 with 2 throw aways and 2 drops by his receivers. It was an all-pro day for him, never seen a QB have a day like that at this level.

Eight Legger the Apps should remain confident, they should they are favored, they are the two time defending NC's, they are playing at home, they are getting better each week, they are getting healthy while we keep getting beaten up, they don't lose often at the "Rock", the SoCon is better than the CAA, their QB's better, we can't pass against them, we'll be lucky if they don't blow us out.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I will guarantee one thing the Spiders will be there to win!

Spdram:
I have the Towson game on my DVR. UR played a strange 1st half. Turnovers & missed field goals led to a 7 - 6 half time score. I assume this game was out of character for UR.

And, I totally agree with your second paragraph!

ur2k
December 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Mike G.;783450]Well Eight Legger, the answer is no. I think that The run game is and has been our downfall this season. Im not saying that Richmond cannot run, I know they can, and do it well. But honestly, if you put the two run games against each other, JMU wins every time.

Not this year - Richmond and JMU's running stats were pretty similar. The real difference is that their QB is their leading rusher while ours is a traditional running back. You may be surprised on Friday night with our RBs big-play making ability.