PDA

View Full Version : SoCon predictions and power rankings - week 3

gofurman
September 10th, 2023, 10:56 PM
SoCon POWER RANKINGS

1) Furman - ANGRY SEC Team would have made any FCS team look bad. Despite this Furman was tied 14-14 with 2 minutes left in the half. And lost by less than most FCS teams (Woff to Pitt, Citadel to GSU in G5 etc.) Anyway, not much to takeaway from FCS/FBS often times. Will know more this week and then vs Mercer. Go SoCon - beat KSU
2) WCU - Great win over Samford !
----------------------
3) Mercer - Secondary? Durn, just realized they get their off week to prep for my Paladins...
4) Chattanooga - Decent win over an ok KSU team. Just hope my Paladins can win ON ROAD at KSU
5) Samford - gonna give em another week or two. but that was a butt whooping in Wheee
6) Wofford - must win the next 2 games if they hope to win 4 or 5 this year
7) ETSU - hope they can win at APSU but have doubts
---------------------
8) The Citadel - lost by 50 to Camels?
9) VMI - Just bad. at NCSU is gonna be ugly

So far these are the three tiers I see. very early still but impressive by the Catss

bonarae
September 11th, 2023, 12:15 AM
Games for Saturday, September 16:

Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky
VMI at NC State
Furman at Kennesaw State
The Citadel at Chattanooga
Presbyterian at Wofford
ETSU at Austin Peay
Samford at Auburn

My picks:
WCU
NCSU
Furman
UTC
Wofford
ETSU
Auburn

The Cats
September 11th, 2023, 09:24 AM
VMI at NC State
Furman at Kennesaw State
Presbyterian at Wofford
ETSU at Austin Peay
Samford at Auburn

power ranking
1) Furman
2) WCU
3) Mercer
4) Samford
5) Chattanooga
6) Wofford
7) ETSU
8) VMI
9) The Citadel

SU DOG
September 11th, 2023, 10:56 AM
VMI at NC State
Furman at Kennesaw State
Presbyterian at Wofford
ETSU at Austin Peay
Samford at Auburn

power ranking
1) Furman
2) WCU
3) Mercer
4) Samford
5) Chattanooga
6) Wofford
7) ETSU
8) VMI
9) The Citadel

Pretty much agree with this although 3,4,5 are still not at all clear to me as to just how those should align.

Mocs123
September 11th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Western Carolina – 35 – Game of the Week. OK Following a beat down of Samford last week, I’m in on the Catamounts being a SoCon title contender. EKU will be a tough foe, particularly on the road, but I think the fighting Bell’s get it done.
Eastern Kentucky - 28

VMI - 0
NC State – 48 – Beatdown of the Week – The Wolfpack by as many as they want.

Furman – 34 – This may be a good indication of how the Mocs stack up against the Paladins. I’m not sure which team winning would be better for the Mocs, but either way Furman gets it done on the road – hopefully in a close game.
Kennesaw State - 27

The Citadel - 10
Chattanooga – 35 – The coastal Bulldogs seems to be struggling with a new offensive scheme, but they always seem to play the Mocs tough. In the end the Mocs are too much and get the victory.

Presbyterian – 6
Wofford – 31 – The Blue Hose are just what a struggling Terrier O needs right now.

ETSU - 27
Austin Peay – 31 – I hope I’m wrong here, not because I like the Bucs, but because it would be a good OOC victory for the SoCon, but I think the Gov’s win this one at home.

Samford - 13
Auburn -45 - I think Samford will put a few points on the board if Hiers is healthy. If he’s not, they probably won’t score 13 – either way it won’t matter as the Tigers run away with this one.

Power Rankings (really just a guess this early in the season)
1. Furman
2. Mercer
3. Western Carolina
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. ETSU
7. The Citadel
8. VMI

Catamount87
September 11th, 2023, 11:36 AM
Predictions
WCU at EKU - another early test for the Catamounts, they best not let last week go to their heads. Cats scratch out a win on the road.
VMI at NC State - Pack unloads on the Roos. Look for team managers and trainers to even get playing time.
Furman at Kennesaw State - Dins also help redeem the SoCon's OOC play
The Citadel at UTC - I'm not sold on the Mocs yet. The coastal dawgs don't have much bark or bite right now. This should be a solid W for the Mocs.
Presbyterian at Wofford - I think this will be more of a game than expected. Wofford has lost their way but should eek out a W.
ETSU at Austin Peay - I just don't know what to say about the Bucs. I'm giving the edge to the Govs in this one.
Samford at Auburn - Alarm bells are ringing and Heirs bell sure got rung last week. Auburn by whatever they want.

Early Rankings
1. Furman - just a step ahead of WCU, Mercer and UTC, for the time being but in SoCon fashion, watch out
2. (tie) WCU/Mercer/UTC - all three need to prove themselves to break the tie
5. Samford - needs to prove last week was an anomaly
6. ETSU - here only because 7-9 are even worse
7. VMI - best of the worst
8. Wofford - can they find their way?
9. The Citadel - lost, can they get back up?

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Power rankings
1) Furman
2) WCU
3) Mercer
4) Samford
5) Chattanooga
6) Wofford
7) ETSU
8) VMI
9) The Citadel

Game picks:
WCU - We will learn a lot more about western's defense with this game. EKU traditionally has a good offense. I expect WCU to literally run up and down the field on offense, but a bad defensive performance could cast a touch of uncertainty on the catamount D

NC State - VMI has like 25 points against 0 scholarshipped competition. And it's not like Davidson was at peak form, they lost to an NAIA team. NC State has 85 scholarships. Nuff said

Furman - This game has more uncertainty for me than the others, simply because I don't trust Kennesaw State in any shape or form

UTC - the Citadel is not good. UTC will play better defense than Campbell. I don't think their offense will be as explosive, so I don't think it'll be as big of a blowout, but I don't think it'll be close. I don't have any confidence in Maurice Drayton.

Wofford - We are going to win big. Our defense is very good. Our offensive line may be playing poorly, but PC won't have the horses to give us trouble. Let's not forget that PC is still pioneer, lost most of their conference games by 20+ points last year, lost big to a Murray State team coming off a 2-9 season last year, and has only won 1 D1 game since COVID.

On top of that, we'll probably have our projected starting tackle, Gass, back this week from suspension, which will immediately shore up our line with some needed experience. We really only have two starters on OL back from last year (the guard and center), as Swann is rotated around to wherever he's needed, and everyone else has minimal experience. It's not good to have minimal continuity at tackle when you pass like we do.

When I first wrote this post I thought 40 was the floor of expectations, but upon checking PC's history, I want us to score at least 60. PC is really that bad. We didn't play well in our first two games, but we probably played two of the tougher slates (and worst matchups for our OL). I think if we played PC/VMI before Pitt/W&M the outcomes may not be different, but we'd be a little more competitive and perception would be different.

Austin Peay - I get the sneaking suspicion that Quarles is the Chad Morris of FCS

Auburn - need I say more?

ElCid
September 11th, 2023, 03:54 PM
NC State - VMI has like 25 points against 0 scholarshipped competition. And it's not like Davidson was at peak form, they lost to an NAIA team. NC State has 85 scholarships. Nuff said

UTC - the Citadel is not good. UTC will play better defense than Campbell. I don't think their offense will be as explosive, so I don't think it'll be as big of a blowout, but I don't think it'll be close. I don't have any confidence in Maurice Drayton.

Who lost to an NAIA? I'm confused. Davidson played Barton, a Div II school who Massey had rated higher than Davidson and about 25 other FCS schools. Is that what you meant. But Davidson is not looking good or VMI in any event.

And I'm not sure a useful evaluation of a new coach can be made after a couple games. I don't know what you are basing it upon. One press conference statement you questioned? He came in a little bit late. I can't see us having a great year, but I certainly trust him and have confidence in him to have his eye on rebuilding and re-scheming our O as appropriate. Currently that means shaking up the starting roster and trying new looks that our players were not recruited for.

The Cats
September 11th, 2023, 04:07 PM

You do know that Davidson does give scholarships? Not athletic scholarships, but academic and "need based" scholarships. Same dollars, just different name, and while FCS athletics scholarships can and are divided, those academic and "need based" scholarships don't have to be. Since Davidson is private school and does not release such information, I'd bet, more football players on the Davidson roster are on full scholarship, than are on VMI's roster of 65 scholarships (divided into however many they divide their scholarships).

...and Davidson lost to a Division II team, not an NAIA team. That's not great, but not as bad as bad as losing to an NAIA team. From what I've read, the Barton team is a very good Div. II team.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2023, 04:24 PM
Who lost to an NAIA? I'm confused. Davidson played Barton, a Div II school who Massey had rated higher than Davidson and about 25 other FCS schools. Is that what you meant. But Davidson is not looking good or VMI in any event.

And I'm not sure a useful evaluation of a new coach can be made after a couple games. I don't know what you are basing it upon. One press conference statement you questioned? He came in a little bit late. I can't see us having a great year, but I certainly trust him and have confidence in him to have his eye on rebuilding and re-scheming our O as appropriate. Currently that means shaking up the starting roster and trying new looks that our players were not recruited for.

Regardless, not a good showing when a D2 team plays better offense than you against to a common opponent.

And maybe this is just me, but I don't think the Drayton is coach prime and I don't think the citadel is CU Boulder, so I'd be weary of so many shake ups and media outbursts.

You do know that Davidson does give scholarships? Not athletic scholarships, but academic and "need based" scholarships. Same dollars, just different name, and while FCS athletics scholarships can and are divided, those academic and "need based" scholarships don't have to be. Since Davidson is private school and does not release such information, I'd bet, more football players on the Davidson roster are on full scholarship, than are on VMI's roster of 65 scholarships (divided into however many they divide their scholarships).

I think if that were true, and it was a point of advantage in recruiting, you'd see Davidson and lots of these pioneer schools be much more competitive against other FCS competition, but that's just not what you see. In fact, since Scott Abel took over in 2018, he's lost all but two non-pioneer games by 3 scores +. Yesterday was the second, and the other was during COVID.

It may be the case that more Davidson players are on full scholarship than VMI (I am extremely skeptical), but the composition of those players is almost certainly not as good as a roster full of scholarship athletes. Pioneer teams pretty frequently lose to D2 and NAIA and even D3 squads who have rosters of composed of people who got their scholarship for being good at football. There are exceptions, like San Diego a few years ago was really stellar, and that other team in Minnesota last year (I'll eventually learn their name), but overall, scoring 25 points against Bucknell and David is a huge red flag.

I could forgive one as week one shakiness and an opponent playing up to you, but two? No way

The Cats
September 11th, 2023, 04:32 PM
Oh, I thought they won. My bad

I think if that were true, and it was a point of advantage in recruiting, you'd see Davidson and lots of these pioneer schools be much more competitive against other FCS competition, but that's just not what you see. In fact, since Scott Abel took over in 2018, he's lost all but two non-pioneer games by 3 scores +. Yesterday was the second, and the other was during COVID.

It may be the case that more Davidson players are on full scholarship than VMI (I am extremely skeptical), but the composition of those players is almost certainly not as good as a roster full of scholarship athletes. Pioneer teams pretty frequently lose to D2 and NAIA and even D3 squads who have rosters of composed of people who got their scholarship for being good at football. There are exceptions, like San Diego a few years ago was really stellar, and that other team in Minnesota last year (I'll eventually learn their name), but overall, scoring 25 points against Bucknell and David is a huge red flag.

I could forgive one as week one shakiness and an opponent playing up to you, but two? No way

I don't think any teams in the Pioneer have the dollars that Davidson has. Davidson's endowment is $1.3 billion... They can afford any scholarships they want to give, lots of money each year comes from the Duke Endowment... Davidson gets 5% of the Duke payout each year (...as does Furman).

BearDownMU
September 11th, 2023, 04:53 PM
At private schools you generally don't need real money to fund scholarships anyway. Any scholarship is basically just a sticker price reduction. Schools can charge whatever they want. It's called "discount rate".

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2023, 06:39 PM
I don't think any teams in the Pioneer have the dollars that Davidson has. Davidson's endowment is $1.3 billion... They can afford any scholarships they want to give, lots of money each year comes from the Duke Endowment... Davidson gets 5% of the Duke payout each year (...as does Furman).

Yeah, but there are also academic requirements to getting those scholarships. For most of them, it's to a 3.0 and many many many college athletes can't swing that for whatever reason. After all, i think NCAA minimum standards are like 2.3. Many teams have collective GPAs well below 3.0, I know of at least one school that published they had team record high GPAs of like 2.8something a couple years ago. That's not a crack on that school, I would bet most schools in the Socon have that average, including my own (because college is hard!).

My cousin was recruited to play D3, which is what you're describing with allocated academic scholarships, but it all came with strings attached, and he was only recruited as a preferred walk on at a big south school. The players who are being pursued for these kind of set ups are just not the same as scholarship athletes.

ElCid
September 11th, 2023, 06:50 PM
Yeah, but there are also academic requirements to getting those scholarships. For most of them, it's to a 3.0 and many many many college athletes can't swing that for whatever reason. After all, i think NCAA minimum standards are like 2.3. Many teams have collective GPAs well below 3.0, I know of at least one school that published they had team record high GPAs of like 2.8something a couple years ago. That's not a crack on that school, I would bet most schools in the Socon have that average, including my own (because college is hard!).

My cousin was recruited to play D3, which is what you're describing with allocated academic scholarships, but it all came with strings attached, and he was only recruited as a preferred walk on at a big south school. The players who are being pursued for these kind of set ups are just not the same as scholarship athletes.

Not the mention, and we can continue it on another forum, that it ain't what it used to be in regard to academic standards or standardized grading criteria. Yes I realize every generation says this, but in some respects it is true, including my generation (on both pro and con end). In any event comparing GPRs between schools, conf's, sports, generations, etc. is a fools errand.

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2023, 07:37 PM
PFL Football Players cannot receive any type of financial aid that a student who is not a Football Player would not receive.

They are eligible to receive need-based, academic, or other types of scholarships (Children of Residents of Hinky Pinky County who are 1st generation College students and intend to major in Agricultural Sciences…those types of Scholarships) if they would otherwise qualify for / be eligible for that type of aid. Receipt of such aid cannot be contingent upon initiating or continuing participation in Football

When Mercer was in the PFL, there was at least one Presidential Scholar on the Team - this is Mercer’s most lucrative scholarship - all costs +++. He received this because he applied for it, competed for it, and earned it. And when he quit playing, he retained it.

Until they were able to give Athletic Scholarships, because he had attended USAFA, FUBeAR Jr. was considered an “Independent Student” by FAFSA and eligible for full Pell Grants, and other financial aid. Because of his very high tests scores and intent to major in Engineering, he (as would any other student with similar scores) was eligible for a significant ’discount’ off Mercer’s tuition. Finally, due to those scores and his HS grades and the Georgia Hope Scholarship funded by the Lottery, he was eligible for the Zell Miller version of that - technically the Mercer ‘match’ of the Zell Miller…which private schools do to ‘compete’ price-wise with the public universities in GA. Roll it all up, and it was very little out of pocket for him to attend Mercer AND for him to attend as a PFL Football Player, but he received no aid from or because he was a Football Player … until they entered the SoCon and put him on an Athletic Grant in Aid.

Point is - it’s very complicated - much more involved than just a GPA AND Davidson nor any other PFL Team is giving Football Athletes financial aid because of their ability to play Football or continuing their financial aid because they play Football.

Oh…some have cheated and given out “Leadership Scholarships” to Football Players…

Jacksonville (when they had a Team) got caught. This was when one Kerwin Bell was their Head Coach … but before The Felines has another “FUBeAR is so mean to poor WCU” meltdown, Bell was absolved of any wrongdoing in the investigation. But they had to vacate a bunch of wins under his watch and were banned from the Playoffs for a year. https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/2015/09/01/ninth-season-ju-football-coach-kerwin-bell/15678238007/

San Diego also got similarly caught…maybe even 2x and had to vacate wins and miss the Playoffs in 2013.
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/11/21/san-diego-withdraws-from-fcs-postseason-after-pfl-financial-aid-violation.htm

Bottom, bottom line is PFL Football is the same as D3. Athletics, Admissions, and Financial Aid all work very hard and work together to LEGALLY compile aid packages for prospective Football Players that any other non-Football-Playing student could also obtain.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2023, 07:54 PM
PFL Football Players cannot receive any type of financial aid that a student who is not a Football Player would not receive.

They are eligible to receive need-based, academic, or other types of scholarships (Children of Residents of Hinky Pinky County who are 1st generation College students and intend to major in Agricultural Sciences…those types of Scholarships) if they would otherwise qualify for / be eligible for that type of aid. Receipt of such aid cannot be contingent upon initiating or continuing participation in Football

When Mercer was in the PFL, there was at least one Presidential Scholar on the Team - this is Mercer’s most lucrative scholarship - all costs +++. He received this because he applied for it, competed for it, and earned it. And when he quit playing, he retained it.

Until they were able to give Athletic Scholarships, because he had attended USAFA, FUBeAR Jr. was considered an “Independent Student” by FAFSA and eligible for full Pell Grants, and other financial aid. Because of his very high tests scores and intent to major in Engineering, he (as would any other student with similar scores) was eligible for a significant ’discount’ off Mercer’s tuition. Finally, due to those scores and his HS grades and the Georgia Hope Scholarship funded by the Lottery, he was eligible for the Zell Miller version of that - technically the Mercer ‘match’ of the Zell Miller…which private schools do to ‘compete’ price-wise with the public universities in GA. Roll it all up, and it was very little out of pocket for him to attend Mercer AND for him to attend as a PFL Football Player, but he received no aid from or because he was a Football Player … until they entered the SoCon and put him on an Athletic Grant in Aid.

Point is - it’s very complicated - much more involved than just a GPA AND Davidson nor any other PFL Team is giving Football Athletes financial aid because of their ability to play Football or continuing their financial aid because they play Football.

Oh…some have cheated and given out “Leadership Scholarships” to Football Players…

Jacksonville (when they had a Team) got caught. This was when one Kerwin Bell was their Head Coach … but before The Felines has another “FUBeAR is so mean to poor WCU” meltdown, Bell was absolved of any wrongdoing in the investigation. But they had to vacate a bunch of wins under his watch and were banned from the Playoffs for a year. https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/2015/09/01/ninth-season-ju-football-coach-kerwin-bell/15678238007/

San Diego also got similarly caught…maybe even 2x and had to vacate wins and miss the Playoffs in 2013.
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/11/21/san-diego-withdraws-from-fcs-postseason-after-pfl-financial-aid-violation.htm

Bottom, bottom line is PFL Football is the same as D3. Athletics, Admissions, and Financial Aid all work very hard and work together to LEGALLY compile aid packages for prospective Football Players that any other non-Football-Playing student could also obtain.

You don't learn this **** in the CAA or MVFC threads! :D xlolx xlolx

The Cats
September 11th, 2023, 09:54 PM

Davidson is not recruiting any of those sub-3.0 football players anyway, so that's not a concern of the scholarship committee.... After all, their academic reputation in paramount and they will not bend their academic rules for some football player... regardless of how good that football player may be...

The Cats
September 11th, 2023, 10:05 PM

I don't disagree with any of what you posted. However, my point that Davidson has so much more of the dollars to apply to the needs based scholarships than VMI has in athletics scholarship, is not negated by anything you said above... I'm sure most of the Davidson football players can meet the needs based criteria or the academic scholarship criteria.

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2023, 10:44 PM
I don't disagree with any of what you posted. However, my point that Davidson has so much more of the dollars to apply to the needs based scholarships than VMI has in athletics scholarship, is not negated by anything you said above... I'm sure most of the football players can meet the needs based criteria. A free ride is a free ride under any name...
It’s been 13 years, so things may have changed…but…

Davidson recruited FUBeAR Jr. FUBeAR’s impression was they wanted him very badly. When they ‘dialed up’ the financial aid package (this was before he had attended USAFA, so FUBeAR’s income mattered along with FUBeAR Jr.’s academics/test scores), the best they could do was still gonna cost about 20k. Same situation at D3 Carnegie Mellon, the only D3 in which he was interested, they came in at about 14k. Probably valued his STEM brain more than Davidson did.

All well and good, but VMI probably has 35-40 Players on full Athletics scholarships and splits up the other 23-28 schollies among another 45 Players. Air Force gets to recruit all they want, none of ‘em pay anything and they all got paid before getting paid to play college football was cool.

Davidson and all high academic D3’s start with the academics piece. Kids gotta have it or they don’t even bother. Then they really are successful at landing only 4 categories of kids - 1) kids whose financial need is substantial enough more or less to make it free for them to attend 2) kids whose academics are so outta sight, it’s free or almost free for them to attend 3) kids whose families are wealthy enough that they really don’t even care/worry about the cost, and 4) kids that don’t have any FBS/FCS offers

FUBeAR Jr. didn’t fit into any of those 4, so even if he had preferred Davidson or Carnegie Mellon over Air Force, he’s the kind of kid that didn’t want Dad to shell out anything. Little Miss FUBeAR is a different story…

but anyway…

FREE, such as many/most FCS offers are (VMI or anywhere) is 9 times out of 10 gonna beat the financial offers that any PFL’s (including Davidson - unless Davy goes the route of the Ivies…where I think they are covering everything for students whose families make less than 250k - something like that - which gives them a lot of flex - don’t think Davy is there … guess they could be, but don’t think they are) or D3’s can do.

FUBeAR would love to see Davidson reinstate Football Scholarship and rejoin the SoCon, but doubt that would happen.

The Cats
September 12th, 2023, 12:23 AM
It’s been 13 years, so things may have changed…but…

Davidson recruited FUBeAR Jr. FUBeAR’s impression was they wanted him very badly. When they ‘dialed up’ the financial aid package (this was before he had attended USAFA, so FUBeAR’s income mattered along with FUBeAR Jr.’s academics/test scores), the best they could do was still gonna cost about 20k. Same situation at D3 Carnegie Mellon, the only D3 in which he was interested, they came in at about 14k. Probably valued his STEM brain more than Davidson did.

All well and good, but VMI probably has 35-40 Players on full Athletics scholarships and splits up the other 23-28 schollies among another 45 Players. Air Force gets to recruit all they want, none of ‘em pay anything and they all got paid before getting paid to play college football was cool.

Davidson and all high academic D3’s start with the academics piece. Kids gotta have it or they don’t even bother. Then they really are successful at landing only 3 types of kids - 1) kids whose financial need is substantial enough more or less to make it free for them to attend 2) kids whose academics are so outta sight, it’s free or almost free for them to attend 3) kids whose families are wealthy enough that they really don’t even care/worry about the cost.

FUBeAR Jr. didn’t fit into any of those 3, so even if he had preferred Davidson or Carnegie Mellon over Air Force, he’s the kind of kid that didn’t want Dad to shell out anything. Little Miss FUBeAR is a different story…

but anyway…

FREE, such as many/most FCS offers are (VMI or anywhere) is 9 times out of 10 gonna beat the financial offers that any PFL’s (including Davidson - unless Davy goes the route of the Ivies…where I think they are covering everything for student whose families make less than 250k - something like that - which gives them a lot of flex - don’t think Davy is there … guess they could be, but don’t think they are) or D3’s can do.

FUBeAR would love to see Davidson reinstate Football Scholarship and rejoin the SoCon, but doubt that would happen.

All I can say to that is this:

THE DAVIDSON TRUST AND ABOUT DAVIDSON
Through a historic decision made by the college community and Board of Trustees, The Davidson Trust meets 100 percent of calculated financial need for all accepted students through a combination of grants and campus employment. Admission decisions for U.S. citizens and permanent residents are made without regard to a student’s financial resources. Davidson is need aware for international students. ABOUT DAVIDSON Students at Davidson College develop the qualities needed in the world today: leadership, integrity, curiosity, empathy, and courage—qualities informed by experiential learning and shaped by relationships with people who challenge but always care, and who embrace difference while building community. Davidson is a highly ranked liberal arts college in Davidson, N.C. that inspires lives of consequence.

I'd say there is a lot of wiggle room the above statement. So, if you now get accepted, your financial needs are met by the university. I'd say that all the football players were accepted, so, Davidson does have a very big wallet and willing to spend some of those dollars... ($1.3 billion endowment and rising)

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2023, 12:41 AM
All I can say to that is this:

I'd say there is a lot of wiggle room the above statement. So, if you now get accepted, your financial needs are met by the university. I'd say that all the football players were accepted, so, Davidson does have a very big wallet and willing to spend some of those dollars... ($1.3 billion endowment and rising)
See…it’s complicated. In that context “calculated financial need” is (most likely) referring to the gap between “cost of attendance” (COA) and “expected family contribution” (EFC)…so they calculate the EFC based on income, etc. and let’s say your EFC is $25k, but Davidson costs $73k. Cool, they’ll hook you up with all kinds of Federal grants, etc…and if that still leaves a gap…then they will pick up the difference (really just discount your costs)…but you still gotta pay the EFC of $25k…

With a full Football scholarship, like VMI can give you, there is no EFC.

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2023, 01:27 AM
FUBeAR's SoCon POWER RANKINGS (predictions later in the week)

1) Furman - swarming D is still KILLER. Gotta stop the deep balls, but that’s pretty much all South Carolina was able to do with big WR’s getting the SEC high-sign from the Ref’s that they would only call OPI on Furman (when it wasn’t), so just push the coverage away when the ball comes. Refs looked at clock with 43 seconds left in the half and said…”Ain’t no way are we lettin’ this game be tied 14-14 at half” and worked their SEC home Cookin’ magic to get it to 27-14 in those few seconds. ANYWAY…O is very solid and will get better and better. Special Teams are really sound. Lookin’ to pluck some owlets this week to close out the “Exhibition season.”

2) Mercer - Apparently Mercer’s Secondary’s idea of repairing themselves involved attempting to set the NCAA record for Targeting ejections in a single game. 4 were reviewed, 3 were upheld, the final one not upheld coulda gone either way, but FUBeAR thinks the Replay Official felt bad. The 1st one and 3rd ones were DAP’s and rightfully upheld. The 2nd was a both lowered their heads - probably shoulda been overturned, but can see why they wouldn’t. Anyway, 2 of those 3 will not be available for the 1st half @ Furman in 2 weeks. Secondary still has issues, but talent is there. May be fine. Offense showed some nice things. James and Harper starting to get off and do their things. QB Peevy getting it dialed in. Not sure if the Bears can hang with Furman in 2 weeks, but they sure didn’t do anything to fall out of FUBeAR’s #2 spot on Saturday night.

3) WCU - More than just a Placeholder now. Catamounts seem to be for real and ready to compete for their 1st trip to the Playoffs since 1983. Really pulling for the PurpleKitties to validate this Samford win by crushing EKU. Don’t let the SoCon down Catamounts!

4) Chattanooga - Probably not a popular pick to be @ #4 but FUBeAR kinda likes what he’s seen of the Mocs new QB. Still think they need work in some areas, but if their Head Coach takes more of a developing approach vs. an approach of protecting the certainty of their many imaginary Championships, as he’s done since 2020, FUBeAR thinks this Mocs Team might be pretty good.

5) Samford - Still gonna call this a Placeholder - not sure if the bullpups are any better than Woffy and/or ETSU, so he’s gonna hold ‘em here for a week or so. They could be as low as #7 though. FUBeAR had concerns about how a wholesale replacement of a Defense with a new set of transfers might work out. Still may be fine, but they were not fine on Saturday.

6) Wofford - Placeholder also - LittleDogs let FUBeAR and the SoCon down in Williamsburg. With certainty, they’ll get right in their date with the Ho’s in their house this Saturday. Woffy could be #5…could also be 8 or 9.

7) ETSU - No move-up with big win over D2 Cardinal Newman. Do that in Clarksville and maybe we’ll put you on the last train to a higher ranking.

SoConINO) The Citadel - No longer accepting them as a SoCon Team until they improve.
SoConINO) VMI - No longer accepting them as a SoCon Team until they improve.

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2023, 03:21 PM
For those few of you who have not made the trip to catch a Mercer game in Five Star Stadium in Maconga yet, you are missing a great game day experience. But don’t listen to FUBeAR. Those are words you can live by - NEVER LISTEN TO FUBeAR!

…but below is a Facebook post from a Morehead State fan who made the trip last week…you should listen to him.

“Hey Bears…I gotta say you guys know what your doing ! My wife and I arrived from Morehead way too early and pushed through for 6 strong hrs prior to game time. We camped out in the brewery tent, enjoyed a bunch of their offerings, sampled multiple wine slush bags, chowed on the walking tacos, and proceeded to jam with Spencer and Jon. Our whole day we were greeted with the nicest, most welcoming folks. Your stadium and game experience is top notch. Congrats on the win, and thank you for an unforgettable experience that we’ll treasure for a while. 👊”

Get thee to Maconga in ‘23

The Cats
September 12th, 2023, 03:40 PM
For those few of you who have not made the trip to catch a Mercer game in Five Star Stadium in Maconga yet, you are missing a great game day experience. But don’t listen to FUBeAR. Those are words you can live by - NEVER LISTEN TO FUBeAR!

Fubear is correct, never listen to Fubear. If you want to know about the game day experience in the SoCon, listen to a third party, neutral observer. Check out Samford head coach in his coaches show, prior to their trip to Cullowhee...

If you don't want to listen to the whole program, go to the 4:30 where the discussion starts about the WCU game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYupBuGDFso&t=103s

ElCid
September 12th, 2023, 07:13 PM

…but below is a Facebook post from a Morehead State fan who made the trip last week…you should listen to him.

“Hey Bears…I gotta say you guys know what your doing ! My wife and I arrived from Morehead way too early and pushed through for 6 strong hrs prior to game time. We camped out in the brewery tent, enjoyed a bunch of their offerings, sampled multiple wine slush bags, chowed on the walking tacos, and proceeded to jam with Spencer and Jon. Our whole day we were greeted with the nicest, most welcoming folks. Your stadium and game experience is top notch. Congrats on the win, and thank you for an unforgettable experience that we’ll treasure for a while. 👊”

Eh. It was ok. Went twice before I moved out of Middle GA. Not super great. Good. Maybe above average. If it wasn't in Macon, which is a pit, it might be a bit better.

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2023, 07:43 PM
Eh. It was ok. Went twice before I moved out of Middle GA. Not super great. Good. Maybe above average. If it wasn't in Macon, which is a pit, it might be a bit better.
A lot has changed and improved since 9/1/2016 (assuming that was your last game attended there) - Additional Hotel, Upscale Apt's for Student Housing, Restaurants/Bars all just on the other side of Mercer University Drive from the Stadium and the whole game day experience, as described by the Facebook poster is unparalleled in the SoCon. Probably no fun for a curmudgeon, but many people enjoy themselves and have a BIG family time there.

https://images.crexi.com/lease-assets/360869/63ba781b1a564dd8a3eb9aec81466510_3000x2000_resize. jpg

Mocs123
September 12th, 2023, 08:45 PM
4) Chattanooga - Probably not a popular pick to be @ #4 but FUBeAR kinda likes what he’s seen of the Mocs new QB. Still think they need work in some areas, but if their Head Coach takes more of a developing approach vs. an approach of protecting the certainty of their many imaginary Championships, as he’s done since 2020, FUBeAR thinks this Mocs Team might be pretty good.

I like what I've seen out of our new QB too and think he honestly has a chance to be the best we've had in Chattanooga in quite a while - of course it's really too early to predict that, but he's looked pretty good in a position that hasn't played well for us in recent years (particularly in big games). Ailym Ford is Ailym Ford....he's going to get his yards, but the OL needs a little work. This may be the most talented line we've had but you can tell they don't have tons of reps together yet.

The defense may be the deciding factor on how good the Mocs really are. It's looked really, really good at times, and really, really bad at others this season - they've certainly not put together four quarters yet, but hopefully they do soon.

Mocs123
September 12th, 2023, 08:49 PM

“Hey Bears…I gotta say you guys know what your doing ! My wife and I arrived from Morehead way too early and pushed through for 6 strong hrs prior to game time. We camped out in the brewery tent, enjoyed a bunch of their offerings, sampled multiple wine slush bags, chowed on the walking tacos, and proceeded to jam with Spencer and Jon. Our whole day we were greeted with the nicest, most welcoming folks. Your stadium and game experience is top notch. Congrats on the win, and thank you for an unforgettable experience that we’ll treasure for a while. ”

I've not been able to make it to Five Star Stadium for a game and it doesn't look like I'll be able to in '23 either (two kids in fall sports) but I want to someday. We've talked about a new on campus stadium that's smaller than Finley and from what I can tell something like Five Star Stadium is just about what Chattanooga needs. I'd like to be able to compare it to what ETSU has in Johnson City.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2023, 04:35 AM
FUBeAR's SoCon Picks

Away
Home
Time
FUBeAR sez…

https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/WolfHeadLogo.png?width=30NC State (http://gopack.com/)
2P
As VMI is currently in SoConINO status, FUBeAR shouldn’t bother picking this game, but it’s an easy W…for FUBeAR…not for the GiantRats. Wolves play with already dead Rat carcasses, then gnaw on the bones, and use them for toothpicks. It’s a merciless bloodbath.

Final Score: NC State 84 - VMI 0

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/Kennesaw.png?width=30Kennesaw State (http://www.ksuowls.com/)
5P
As the owlets prepare to move down to Confusa, they did show some willingness to use their filed-down beaks and dull talons late @ Chattanooga last week. Paladins were, meanwhile, doing almost everything required to fricassee a much bigger & tougher bird until a crazed herd of Zebras took over the field & game just before half and guaranteed the SEC Chickens would not be plucked in their own house…on their own network. Furman is looking to demonstrate polish in all 3 phases this week in their final Exhibition Season game. owlets get a handful of seeds, as their parting gift from the SoCon, as Furman romps.

Final Score: Furman 52 - Kennesaw 7

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/E%20Logo%20for%20Sidearm.png?width=30Eastern Kentucky (http://www.ekusports.com/)
6P
FUBeAR’s GOTW!

WCU is coming off their biggest win since they defeated Furman in a meaningless-for-both-teams later season SoCon game in 1984. Their fans tried (unsuccessfully, as they were thwarted by FUBeAR et al) to tear down both sets of goalposts in Paladin Stadium, so it had to be a HUGE win for them…right? Otherwise, they were just a crowd of vandalizing hooligans come down from the mountains. Anyway… great win last week for WCU, even if it hurt the SoCon and contributed to Furman dropping in the polls. Now the Catamounts need to not screw that up and demonstrate that they can live with prosperity - definitely not something with which they have much experience…BUT…QB play vs. Samford was outstanding. He outplayed the Payton Award favorite. Reid has ALWAYS impressed as a RB and WR Colombo (“Ah…one more thing, Mrs. Smith…did your husband have a dog?” RIP Peter Falk) seemed to emerge as a go-to Swiss Army knife. OL play against Ark was not bad and was dominating against Samford’s D-Front. WCU’s D’s effort and discipline is vastly better than in prior years.

Hard to say what EKU has with their schedule/results to date, but FUBeAR knows what a scratching, clawing, snarling, biting, hissing animal can do to some old guy in a silly uniform. He’s seen HS Girls attack School Resource Officers…it’s UGLY!

Final Score: WCU 31 - EKU 24

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
6P
Although the bellhops currently don’t even deserve to wear the uniform of respected baggage handlers and they too have been relegated to SoConINO status. FUBeAR is really impressed with the TrainBirds very old, but previously inexperienced Transfer QB. Kid can play. Not sure Chatt knows how to act with a QB who can play, but they are figuring it out. Still some Defensive discipline (many…wrong place, wrong assignment…frequently) and effort issues, and FUBeAR is not lovin’ the SnakeShoes OL, but they will be a Playoff-worthy Team before the season ends. Not sure if they’ll have a Playoff-worthy record though.

On the bellhops, tbh, FUBeAR has tried to watch bot of their games, but they look so hapless, he’s had to turn off the stream. Coach Drayton was correct in his assessment.

Train with a Snake & Bird driving it just mashes the visiting hotel employees. Then pecks out their eyes and swallow them whole.

Final Score: Chattanooga 56 - The Citadel 10

https://soconsports.com/images/logos/Presbyterian.png?width=30Presbyterian (http://www.gobluehose.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2023/5/30/Terriers_StackedWHITE.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
6P
The LittleDogs have had their noses rubbed in it for 2 weeks as they!ve started a new losing streak. This one won’t go 18 games or however many the last one was before they recognized FUBeAR was right 4 or 5 years earlier. Anyway…YappyDogs love to chew stuff to shreds and there is nothing they love to chew more than dirty, nasty socks. Welp, some awful, smelly Ho’s will be in SparkleCity this weekend and the PorchYappers will chew ‘em up and swallow ‘em. The nice people from Clinnon can recover their Team from the AnkleBiters yard Sunday…about mid-morning.

Final Score: Wofford 63 - Presbyterian 0

https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/ap_monicle_gentleman.png?width=30Austin Peay (http://letsgopeay.com/)
7P
This game, sponsored by PETA, is an interesting matchup. A win by the MountainPirates over the MonopolyMen would help the SoCon. But, APSU ain’t C-N or even C-N-N. Don’t think the MountainMarauders can go to Clarksville, even if they leave on the last train, and pull enough Monkee-shines out of their rear ends to defeat the Home crowd’s shouts of “Let’s go Peay!” Hate it…hope to be wrong…

Final Score: APSU 24 - ETSU 17

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/auburn_logo.png?width=30Auburn (http://www.auburntigers.com/)
7:30P
Dogs are supposed to be the hunter of cats. Well, the HomewoodHounds proved last week, they might not measure up at the scratching post. This week, they’ll be having terrors as they suffer from their bad case of cat-scratch fever, see visions of bigger, stripier Cats, while a buzzard circles overhead as an omen of their eventuality this Saturday. The fever-dreaming canines will have a few sporadic spurts of mental clarity on Offense, but their Defense will be ‘put down’ early.

Final Score: Auburn 56 - Samford 17 (no assistance from SEC Zebras required)

FUBeAR's SoCon POWER RANKINGS

1) Furman - swarming D is still KILLER. Gotta stop the deep balls, but that’s pretty much all South Carolina was able to do with big WR’s getting the SEC high-sign from the Ref’s that they would only call OPI on Furman (when it wasn’t), so just push the coverage away when the ball comes. Refs looked at clock with 43 seconds left in the half and said…”Ain’t no way are we lettin’ this game be tied 14-14 at half” and worked their SEC home Cookin’ magic to get it to 27-14 in those few seconds. ANYWAY…O is very solid and will get better and better. Special Teams are really sound. Lookin’ to pluck some owlets this week to close out the “Exhibition season.”

2) Mercer - Apparently Mercer’s Secondary’s idea of repairing themselves involved attempting to set the NCAA record for Targeting ejections in a single game. 4 were reviewed, 3 were upheld, the final one not upheld coulda gone either way, but FUBeAR thinks the Replay Official felt bad. The 1st one and 3rd ones were DAP’s and rightfully upheld. The 2nd was a both lowered their heads - probably shoulda been overturned, but can see why they wouldn’t. Anyway, 2 of those 3 will not be available for the 1st half @ Furman in 2 weeks. Secondary still has issues, but talent is there. May be fine. Offense showed some nice things. James and Harper starting to get off and do their things. QB Peevy getting it dialed in. Not sure if the Bears can hang with Furman in 2 weeks, but they sure didn’t do anything to fall out of FUBeAR’s #2 spot on Saturday night.

3) WCU - More than just a Placeholder now. Catamounts seem to be for real and ready to compete for their 1st trip to the Playoffs since 1983. Really pulling for the PurpleKitties to validate this Samford win by crushing EKU. Don’t let the SoCon down Catamounts!

5) Samford - Still gonna call this a Placeholder - not sure if the bullpups are any better than Woffy and/or ETSU, so he’s gonna hold ‘em here for a week or so. They could be as low as #7 though. FUBeAR had concerns about how a wholesale replacement of a Defense with a new set of transfers might work out. Still may be fine, but they were not fine on Saturday.

6) Wofford - Placeholder also - LittleDogs let FUBeAR and the SoCon down in Williamsburg. With certainty, they’ll get right in their date with the Ho’s in their house this Saturday. Woffy could be #5…could also be 8 or 9.

7) ETSU - No move-up with big win over D2 Cardinal Newman. Do that in Clarksville and maybe we’ll put you on the last train to a higher ranking.

SoConINO) The Citadel - No longer accepting them as a SoCon Team until they improve.

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2023, 07:15 AM
FUBeAR's SoCon POWER RANKINGS (predictions later in the week)

LMAO

kdinva
September 15th, 2023, 07:44 AM
UTC 38; The Citadel 20
Wofford 41; Presby 14
NC State 44; VMI 14
WCU 38; EKU 30
Auburn 48; Samford 22
Furman 42; Kenny St. 21
ETSU 20; A. Peay 19

Sir William
September 15th, 2023, 01:28 PM
VMI at NC State
Furman at Kennesaw State
Presbyterian at Wofford
ETSU at Austin Peay
Samford at Auburn

Power Ranking
1) Furman
2) WCU

3,4,5) Hard to say who's better of these three - Mercer, Samford, Chattanooga (tie)

6, 7) Even harder to know who's better of these two - Wofford, ETSU (tie)

8) DEAD AIR

9) Does it matter? - The Citadel, VMI (tie)

ElCid
September 15th, 2023, 02:05 PM
VMI @ NC St - 56-7
Furman @ KSU - 34-17
WCU @ EKU - 34-27
PC @ Wofford - 45-7
The Citadel @ UTC - 42-16
Samford @ Auburn - 52-20
ETSU @ Austin Peay - 24-17

Lots of bashing of my Bulldogs and the Keydets. But I know we are on the right track with our new coach. Don't know about VMI. I can be patient.

1. Furman
2. Samford (I don't care of WCU beat them, I think it was an anomaly. I'll flip them this coming week it they warrant it.)
3. WCU
4. Mercer
5. UTC
6. Wofford
7. ETSU
8. The Citadel
9. VMI

The Cats
September 15th, 2023, 02:52 PM
2. Samford (I don't care of WCU beat them, I think it was an anomaly. I'll flip them this coming week it they warrant it.)
3. WCU

They already warrant it. How stupid can you be when two teams go head to head, and you pick the loser that was dominated. You fired those cannons, one time too many.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F58kp5VXcAA2gIH?format=jpg&name=900x900

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2023, 03:28 PM
How stupid can you be
https://i.imgflip.com/7zas27.jpg

ElCid
September 15th, 2023, 03:34 PM
They already warrant it. How stupid can you be when two teams go head to head, and you pick the loser that was dominated. You fired those cannons, one time too many.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F58kp5VXcAA2gIH?format=jpg&name=900x900

One game does not a ranking make. I know that is hard to swallow given that it's your team, but as I said, it will be more deserving if you take care of business and I have my doubts. We have all seen teams have one great game because they had the other team's number, on one day, only to flounder later. I need a trend line more than one game for my poll. Handle EKU and I will probably have you in my top 20 and solid # 2 in conf. I actually hope I'm wrong and stupid as you put it. You are due. Everybody else has had a piece of the pie these last 8 years. Well except Mercer. They are always the homely bridesmaid.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2023, 03:57 PM
One game does not a ranking make. I know that is hard to swallow given that it's your team, but as I said, it will be more deserving if you take care of business and I have my doubts. We have all seen teams have one great game because they had the other team's number, on one day, only to flounder later. I need a trend line more than one game for my poll. Handle EKU and I will probably have you in my top 20 and solid # 2 in conf. I actually hope I'm wrong and stupid as you put it. You are due. Everybody else has had a piece of the pie these last 8 years. Well except Mercer. They are always the homely bridesmaid.
Mercer may be the homely bridesmaid, but then the bellhops must be the ugly slut that gets trained by all the groomsmen…

Season

Macon, Ga.
Mercer 17 - bellhops 0

Charleston, S.C.
Mercer 34 - bellhops 7

Macon, Ga.
Mercer 42 - bellhops 28

The Cats
September 15th, 2023, 04:14 PM

Good lord, you make fubear look reasonable, today!!!!

ElCid
September 15th, 2023, 04:44 PM
Good lord, you make fubear look reasonable, today!!!!

That is impossible.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2023, 05:44 PM
That is impossible.
…and objectionable

The Cats
September 15th, 2023, 06:09 PM
https://twitter.com/CatamountsFB/status/1702809121227968823

ElCid
September 15th, 2023, 06:27 PM
https://twitter.com/CatamountsFB/status/1702809121227968823

I'll be flipping between my game and WCUs. Especially if ours gets out of hand.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2023, 08:41 PM
That’s no hype video. THIS is an FBS hype video!

https://twitter.com/kennesawstfb/status/1702463772865057024

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2023, 10:07 PM
This is SoCon news…

https://twitter.com/woffordterriers/status/1702009321209450858

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2023, 07:17 AM
The great evil is defeated!

OrangeAndBlack
September 16th, 2023, 07:39 AM

This is a pretty wild take. On one hand, why do we even have power rankings if we just order the teams up based on records? On the other hand, WCU beat the hell out of Samford.

Now FUBear has a permanent reference to keep Furman and Mercer at the top of his power rankings, regardless of all real world events. So we'll let this slide.

OrangeAndBlack
September 16th, 2023, 07:43 AM
VMI at NC State
Furman at Kennesaw State
Presbyterian at Wofford
ETSU at Austin Peay
Samford at Auburn

Power Rankings:

Furman
WCU
Mercer
Chattanooga
Wofford
ETSU
Citadel
VMI
Samford -- I'm balancing out ElCids rankings, all is well again.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2023, 09:43 AM
As a side note, just read this article (http://https://udreview.com/reports-delaware-open-to-leaving-caa-for-move-up-to-fbs-conference-destination-yet-to-emerge/), and it puts into perspective the two-sided coin of conference expansion.

I'm okay with the socon not expanding (within reason), simply because the CAA has gone through enough transition that their brand has been diluted. When I say that I don't mean it's worse, but it's just different. At the end of the day, at the FCS level, if you're not playing sports against teams that you see as your peers, there's no point.

I think what makes the socon good, is that our definition of peer is "can't feasibly jump to FBS for off the field reasons, but geographically close, and institutional parallels. Obviously Chattanooga, ETSU, and WCU probably have more in common academically than some of the schools in the OVC, but when it comes to athletic competition, their aspirations are more in line with the socon. And historically, they don't really dominate.

If they were the type to break attendance records and run the table in the money sports, then there would be a conversation to be had there. But I just don't think that's on the table for another decade plus, and that would be assuming sustained success. I know UTC wanted to go FBS, but I doubt they have the money to do it in a satisfying way, where they're at least a little competitive. ETSU may eventually get there (AGS notwithstanding, their fanbase is the most active), but it'll take a long time of sustained success, improved football facilities, etc to get there.

The Cats
September 16th, 2023, 01:02 PM
Now FUBear has a permanent reference to keep Furman and Mercer at the top of his power rankings, regardless of all real world events.

The entire SoCon says, thanks a lot - ElCid. That's all we need, is to encourage fubear.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2023, 01:09 PM
I for one am a "Value the events on the field over postulations about who is better in an abstract sense"

I'm consistent in that way.

As an unrelated side note: VMI's new(?) uniforms are pretty good. I know gold is in their colors, but the red and white looks really fresh.

The Cats
September 16th, 2023, 01:25 PM
I for one am a "Value the events on the field over postulations about who is better in an abstract sense"

I'm consistent in that way.

As an unrelated side note: VMI's new(?) uniforms are pretty good. I know gold is in their colors, but the red and white looks really fresh.

I think their colors are red, yellow, and white, not gold.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2023, 02:22 PM
I think their colors are red, yellow, and white, not gold.

Obviously their logo is yellow, but their pants forever have been gold. Regardless, whatever color this is (https://vmikeydets.com/images/2017/1/11/QHPAICGAQVXCOVD.20170111165631.jpg?width=1416&quality=80&format=jpg), the new VMI look is better.

kdinva
September 16th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Obviously their logo is yellow, but their pants forever have been gold. Regardless, whatever color this is (https://vmikeydets.com/images/2017/1/11/QHPAICGAQVXCOVD.20170111165631.jpg?width=1416&quality=80&format=jpg), the new VMI look is better.

just are not playing better, Collin shannon got the start at QB over Ironside (have not heard why, except maybe Coach's decision), pack lead 31-0 at halftime. one of NCSU TD's, a pass thru Knox's hands to their CB for a pick six.

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 03:06 PM
just are not playing better, Collin shannon got the start at QB over Ironside (have not heard why, except maybe Coach's decision), pack lead 31-0 at halftime. one of NCSU TD's, a pass thru Knox's hands to their CB for a pick six.

Yeah I always get a kick out people on our board raving about a new helmet or uniform design while our quality goes down the tubes. Got bigger issues than changing uniform design schemes.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2023, 03:42 PM
I mean, I'm on record for saying VMI isn't good for a couple weeks now. Still like their uniforms though!

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Let’s Go!!!

https://i.postimg.cc/sgwx4rwZ/IMG-2095.jpg

The Cats
September 16th, 2023, 04:51 PM
Doesn't look like the crowd is very large in Kennesaw.

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 06:11 PM
Sanford looking good on opening drive, but getting ripped off by refs already.

Wofford struggling against PC. Huh!?

Furman letting KSU stay in it.

WCU down at EKU. Huh?

Can't watch my Bulldogs anymore. Pitiful.

wcugrad95
September 16th, 2023, 06:49 PM
EKU is a rankable (is that a word???) team but lost their first 2 to FBS teams - played Kentucky tough last weekend. They came out throwing it all over the yard, and their QB looks as good as any QB in FCS. Even so, WCU drives it down late in the 2nd quarter as Reid goes over 100 yards in the first half but uncharacteristically coughs the ball up inside the 20. EKU took advantage and tacks on a FG. This game should be no worse than 11-10 EKU and possibly 14-11 WCU. We played pretty poorly and are down 7 but we get the ball to start the 2nd half.

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 06:51 PM
Let’s Go!!!

Why the anonymity?

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Really fun game between Furman and Kennesaw. Thought the Owls were done early in the 4th.

Not sure what to make of Furman. Good team, but tick below the top tier. I think they’re closer to #10 than they are #5.

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2023, 07:25 PM
Why the anonymity?
Warrants

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 07:53 PM
Warrants

Fair nuff and makes sense.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2023, 08:04 PM
Wofford is going 0-11. Fire Watson. I'm done. Inexcusable.

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 08:13 PM
Eek. I think we have the upset, in a bad way, of the year. Wofford falls to Presbyterian, the 128 rated team out 128 FCS teams according to Massey. They haven't won a game against a Div I team since the Spring 21 season.

kdinva
September 16th, 2023, 08:14 PM

WOW, that was more surprising than VMI's first two results.

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 08:24 PM
This Cat team has moxie. Like them a lot. They have some tough customers.

Winning on the road at EKU really shows me something. Fringe top ten club in my next poll.

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 08:25 PM
I think WCU just learned how to win and is deserving of a top 25 ranking, maybe top 20. Their game winning drive, with no time outs was amazing.

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 08:32 PM
I might have spoken too soon. They won, but let EKU right back in it only to miss a FG <40 yds. Good, but still thinking their D has lapses.

Smitty
September 16th, 2023, 08:34 PM
Very uneasy watching EKU marching back down the field. I'm not usually on the winning side when that happens.

wcugrad95
September 16th, 2023, 08:36 PM
EKU has in my opinion the best non-FBS QB we will play all year (Hiers included). Western did a lot of “old Western things” in this game and still figured out how to hang in there. We should have gotten away from the dependency on Reid earlier in the 4th quarter, but this is a good WCU team and EKU is probably the best 0-3 team in the country.

WCU finds a way to lose that game over the last decade. We figured out how to win it tonight.

BearDownMU
September 16th, 2023, 08:38 PM
WCU won, but only by 3. So my instincts are if I can get 7 more game results and they win them all by more than 3 touchdowns, I'll consider placing them in the top 50.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2023, 08:46 PM

Didn't you just get done saying that about Conklin?

Mocs123
September 16th, 2023, 08:52 PM
Congratulations to WCU on a big time win for the SoCon, and the FU with a nice win over KSU. I'd be curious to hear what FUBeAR thought of the Owls as I'm still trying to figure out what I think of the Mocs.

Samford looking decent against Auburn.

I'm surprised that the Govs are beating the Bucs, but keep it under control ETSU.

And I'm not sure what to say about Woffy losing to Presbyterian. We played them once when we they had scholarships and they were not good. I can't imagine they're any better now that they don't have any.

kdinva
September 16th, 2023, 08:54 PM
after today's results, I see a four way tie for 6th.

Lots of bashing of my Bulldogs and the Keydets. But I know we are on the right track with our new coach. Don't know about VMI. I can be patient.

1. Furman
3. WCU
4. Mercer
5. UTC
6. Wofford
7. ETSU
8. The Citadel
9. VMI

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 09:04 PM
after today's results, I see a four way tie for 6th.

You are reading my mind.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2023, 09:17 PM
It's early in the season so maybe my impressions about some of these teams are wrong, but it certainly seems like the SoCon has a clear top and bottom this year, while in recent years I felt like there was a lot of parity in the conference.

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 09:22 PM
It's early in the season so maybe my impressions about some of these teams are wrong, but it certainly seems like the SoCon has a clear top and bottom this year, while in recent years I felt like there was a lot of parity in the conference.

You also read my mind. From 2021 back to 14 or 15 I would said any team could win most games and it wasn't very surprising. But we seemed to have split starting last year. It could change again, but not this year probably.

Mocs123
September 16th, 2023, 09:35 PM
Can't watch my Bulldogs anymore. Pitiful.

The Mocs will welcome you as a fan for the rest of the season.

Catamount87
September 16th, 2023, 10:50 PM
Let’s Go!!!

Hey FUBeAR, you got something on your nose. No, no there on the end of your nose. Tell you what, let me pass you a napkin.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2023, 04:27 AM

he has thought you how to post though, short sweet and to the point

I thought your D looked good vs William but then Charleston Southern tells us that Mary ain’t that good either

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2023, 05:15 AM
Didn't you just get done saying that about Conklin?

We just had our worst loss in school history. At least under Conklin, it was because everyone hated him. Now the players like the coach but we still suck. I'm done posting here. I appreciate the banter with everyone over the years, but for the last 4-5 Wofford has done it's best to make me look like an idiot. I'm getting a new hobby

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2023, 06:32 AM
Looking forward to your comments on Tuesday!!!

Mocs123
September 17th, 2023, 06:33 AM
Just step away from the ledge.....It's never as bad as you think the night of a bad loss. The Terriers can bounce back. The Mocs went 1-11 in 2008 with their only win coming from an NAIA school and went 6-5 the year after. The Catamounts have largely spent the last decade in the cellar of the SoCon and now they should be ranked in the top 25. The Terriers will be back, they're too proud of program not to.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2023, 06:33 AM
We just had our worst loss in school history. At least under Conklin, it was because everyone hated him. Now the players like the coach but we still suck. I'm done posting here. I appreciate the banter with everyone over the years, but for the last 4-5 Wofford has done it's best to make me look like an idiot. I'm getting a new hobby

oh, come on you’re probably smarter than the Coaches and one day you’ll be smart enough to know its about the players..

Wofford just doesn’t have enough skill position players to make any couch look good

Mocs123
September 17th, 2023, 06:41 AM
oh, come on you’re probably smarter than the Coaches and one day you’ll be smart enough to know its about the players..

Wofford just doesn’t have enough skill position players to make any couch look good

Personally, I thought that was why the triple option was a good option for Wofford (the same with The Citadel). Wofford is a small school with high academic standards and I think would be hard to recruit a bunch of top level athletes there. Of course rule changes have pushed schools away from the option.

Mocs123
September 17th, 2023, 06:43 AM
How are the ETSU fans feeling about Quarrels? Is this a bump in the road due to the coaching change or a bigger problem? I know APSU is pretty good, but that was a beatdown I didn't expect.

I wondered about the hire at the time since FU fans were happy he was leaving!

PaladinNation
September 17th, 2023, 07:12 AM
A few thoughts from the Kennesaw/Furman game.

Odd stadium environment, that said they don't lose often there.
Seems KSU, is playing around with their roster to redshirt as many players as possible.
Was told by a KSU fan, they played their 'good players' against the Mocs and Furman.

Furman.
The DINS are definitely starting out slow this season. Furman started out this game playing conservative, KSU scoring first woke up the DINS play calling.
Furman gets All-American Jake Johanning back for Mercer. I hope his returns helps to gel the o-line.
Our defense is a head-scratcher at the moment, Furman has some cleaning up to do on the backend of the defense.

The Good
I believe Furman had ten players catch a pass. Furman wants to run the ball, every opponent knows this. I think the key to this season's success is going to be Furman's passing game. I'm excited to see how Furman's two young slot receivers ( Ben Ferguson SO) (Colton Hinton FR) play against SoCon competition.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2023, 08:29 AM

I thought your [Wofford] D looked good vs William but then Charleston Southern tells us that Mary ain’t that good either
FUBeAR was a-wondren’ last evening if anyone else was cipherin’ this up as he was…but thought maybe he was just looking too hard for confirmation of what he’s thought all along. Good to know at least one other person added 1+1 and came up with 2 as the correct answer.

….unless we believe D2 North Greenville is a Top 10 FCS Team…

crusader11
September 17th, 2023, 08:41 AM

I thought your D looked good vs William but then Charleston Southern tells us that Mary ain’t that good either

Agree on W+M. Dropped them several spots.

wcugrad95
September 17th, 2023, 09:29 AM
It is interesting how things have changed the last couple of years. Now I think the top 4 in the conference are deserving of being ranked (Furman and then Mercer, UTC, and WCU in whatever order you want). But I agree the bottom four may very well belong in the bottom 25. Huge game this week between Chatt and Samford. The Bulldogs can be right back in the conversation or the Mocs can have the early driver’s seat.

But it is the SoCon, so expect at least a few head-scratchers in the next 8 weeks that throw the standings into chaos.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2023, 09:34 AM
Really fun game between Furman and Kennesaw. Thought the Owls were done early in the 4th.

Not sure what to make of Furman. Good team, but tick below the top tier. I think they’re closer to #10 than they are #5.
It was a fun game against a Team that has many as 85 more scholarship Players than Yale does.

Are you talking top-tier of FBS or just the SEC?

Furman played toe-to-to with South Carolina until the SEC Zebras took giant dumps all over the field at Williams Brice Stadium just before halftime and South Carolina had FBS #1 Georgia on the ropes until …dunno… haven’t watched that game yet…but keep finding “good” reasons to lower Furman (and Mercer) in your rankings while they keep winning games. When collectively implemented, it’s a great way to help make sure 10-1 SoCon Championship Teams keep getting ****ty seeds, if they get seeded at all.

/EndRant

Came here to talk a bit about FUBeAR’s 1st experience in KSU’s NinthSecond Bank Soccer Pitch & Burger Chef. Really pretty interesting and intimate environment, but very weird. Can’t even explain what makes it feel so weird…you have to be there…not bad weird, just weird weird. It feels more like a really, really nice Parks & Rec facility and it in no way at all feels like what FUBeAR thinks of as an FBS Stadium (which, to FUBeAR, are SEC & ACC stadiums). The ‘feel’ is like a nicer version of Davidson’s current facility - not in architecture…just the “feel” Can’t believe that’s gonna be an FBS Stadium next year. On more positive notes - everyone there - Parking Lot, Gates, Concessions, Home Fans could not have been any nicer or friendlier. Really, really nice and the fans FUBeAR spoke with knew Football much, much better than any of the slobbering sots FUBeAR encountered in Columbia last week. And, the KSU Band was loud and good.

Glad to have finally CAUGHT a game there…and to have CAUGHT the game-winning Field Goal also. xnodx

https://i.postimg.cc/Qd2cy5rG/IMG-2099.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/kG4X71dV/IMG-2100.jpg

ElCid
September 17th, 2023, 09:54 AM
Agree on W+M. Dropped them several spots.

I never had them as high as AGS. I was at least 5 spots below our poll. They just aren't that impressive.

walliver
September 17th, 2023, 10:43 AM
This may be the worst Wofford team of the D-I era. I don’t think firing anyone would help. It will take several years to restock the team. Conklin ran off a lot of players. We can’t take graduate transfers. We have admissions limitations on portal transfers which make it hard to accept experienced players.

There is not going to be a quick fix.

If Watson can retain and develop young players, we should be competitive in another year or so.

crusader11
September 17th, 2023, 12:00 PM
It was a fun game against a Team that has many as 85 more scholarship Players than Yale does.

I know that you know that Yale is "non-scholarship" in name only. Plus, even if not officially playing scholarship football, Yale is a fringe top 25 team. Certainly thought of as a better team than Kennesaw. Also, on "finding ways to move down" Furman and Mercer -- not true. Not anti-SoCon bias here. I've been higher on WCU than probably everyone besides WCU fans/alums. Currently have them right outside of the top ten. It's not as if I believe Furman isn't a very good team, just have then closer to #10 than #5. I don't think that's unfair.

Glad to have finally CAUGHT a game there…and to have CAUGHT the game-winning Field Goal also. xnodx

That's unbelievable you were able to snap that photo AND catch the ball.

ElCid
September 17th, 2023, 12:27 PM
This may be the worst Wofford team of the D-I era. I don’t think firing anyone would help. It will take several years to restock the team. Conklin ran off a lot of players. We can’t take graduate transfers. We have admissions limitations on portal transfers which make it hard to accept experienced players.

There is not going to be a quick fix.

If Watson can retain and develop young players, we should be competitive in another year or so.

The mercenary nature of the portal is poison. Add to it the ridiculous, very strategically instituted blocking rules meant to eliminate the option, and you have a formula for taking out specific schools. Wofford, as well as us, probably have the wrong type of players now. The Option gave us an equalizer and the powers that be could not stand that. Now our O line is woefully undersized as a result. I think we started to turn it around a little, but it will take 2 or 3 more recruiting cycles to really start to turn the corner.

And I get a laugh out people who are ready to fire coaches after just a few games. Like they can actually turn it around in a few games. It's the nature of people today to want and get things instantaneously. They have no patience or long term thinking. I got a serious kick out of reading our board yesterday. It's why I never post there. It is full of people who want to fire the coach immediately or they have all the answers to why we are in the dumper. They were screaming about the players not getting enough to eat or harsh bus rides. Many would probably like to just go out and hire player from the portal and have none of them in the Corps. And I am not talking about Grad student, but underclassmen. We already started doing it. If players don't want to be in the Corps, then don't go there! What these shortsighted people don't realize is the alumni support that will fade away if they get their way. And I mean more than it has already. I certainly have zero desire to support a team that has a bunch of SINOs (students in name only) who will likely never graduate or graduate with a dog catching degree designed for people like them, and non-cadets to boot. Someone must have the idea that we can have a Texas A&M style setup and still have a Corps of Cadets and non Cadets where all the athletes could be from so they don't have to bother with the discipline issues. Obviously not as big as them, but like it since there Corp is only like 5% of their student body. I haven't heard anyone say this outright, but from some of the comments I've seen, the dots are easy to connect. Rant over.

gofurman
September 17th, 2023, 01:44 PM
The mercenary nature of the portal is poison. Add to it the ridiculous, very strategically instituted blocking rules meant to eliminate the option, and you have a formula for taking out specific schools. Wofford, as well as us, probably have the wrong type of players now. The Option gave us an equalizer and the powers that be could not stand that. Now our O line is woefully undersized as a result. I think we started to turn it around a little, but it will take 2 or 3 more recruiting cycles to really start to turn the corner.

{{{And I get a laugh out people who are ready to fire coaches after just a few games. Like they can actually turn it around in a few games. It's the nature of people today to want and get things instantaneously. They have no patience or long term thinking. I got a serious kick out of reading our board yesterday. It's why I never post there. It is full of people who want to fire the coach immediately or they have all the answers to why we are in the dumper. }}}

They were screaming about the players not getting enough to eat or harsh bus rides. Many would probably like to just go out and hire player from the portal and have none of them in the Corps. And I am not talking about Grad student, but underclassmen. We already started doing it. If players don't want to be in the Corps, then don't go there! What these shortsighted people don't realize is the alumni support that will fade away if they get their way. And I mean more than it has already. I certainly have zero desire to support a team that has a bunch of SINOs (students in name only) who will likely never graduate or graduate with a dog catching degree designed for people like them, and non-cadets to boot. Someone must have the idea that we can have a Texas A&M style setup and still have a Corps of Cadets and non Cadets where all the athletes could be from so they don't have to bother with the discipline issues. Obviously not as big as them, but like it since there Corp is only like 5% of their student body. I haven't heard anyone say this outright, but from some of the comments I've seen, the dots are easy to connect. Rant over.

this weeks sign that the apocalypse is upon us. Furman and The Citadel agree. Be long term, give coaches three years or so

The Cats
September 17th, 2023, 04:48 PM
I never had them as high as AGS. I was at least 5 spots below our poll. They just aren't that impressive.

Hey, they are CAA, they've got to be good!!!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 17th, 2023, 05:51 PM
How are the ETSU fans feeling about Quarrels? Is this a bump in the road due to the coaching change or a bigger problem? I know APSU is pretty good, but that was a beatdown I didn't expect.

I wondered about the hire at the time since FU fans were happy he was leaving!

One word: done. This was an Austin Peay team that gave Big Brother all they can handle a week earlier. ETSU scored all of six points against a first-year FBS team (Jacksonville State) and an Austin Peay rumored to be moving to FBS. I am praying for the day Quarles gets axed the question. The worst part was that he got the Tony Basilio Seal of Approval. I bet you a dollar many ETSU fans confronted him at Crow-Fil-A last night to give him all kinds of grief.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 17th, 2023, 05:53 PM

I bet you a dollar you guys beat ETSU.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2023, 06:50 PM
That's unbelievable you were able to snap that photo AND catch the ball.Apparently, you have yet to realize Offensive Linemen, even ancient ones, are the best athletes on (and around) the field.

crusader11
September 17th, 2023, 07:27 PM
Apparently, you have yet to realize Offensive Linemen, even ancient ones, are the best athletes on (and around) the field.

You forgot most cerebral, too.

The Cats
September 17th, 2023, 08:49 PM
https://twitter.com/CatamountsFB/status/1703497392169922589