PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Game 3- Robert Morris @ Youngstown St.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2023, 02:52 PM
The Guins entertain Bobby Morris (1-1) next. RMU beat St. Francis 31-21 last week. They got blown out against Air Force 42-7 in the opener. YSU , after stomping Valpo 52-10 ,lost to #5 FBS Ohio St. 35-7.

YSU appears to be healthy even after playing most players at OSU. I consider YSU to be a heavy favorite in this game.

Paladin1aa
September 11th, 2023, 07:36 AM
RMU was ranked 10th (last place) in the Big South-OVC preseason poll.

Looking at their roster, they have a number of Ohio players. However, in a sign of the times, they have NO local Valley players listed where they used to have several from the Valley in previous years.

And I found this interesting- Bart Tanski is the Special teams coordinator. He was a former Ohio Mr. Football at Mentor H.S. in 2007 that failed to attract a D-I scholly. Eventually walked on at Bowling Green and earned a scholly.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2023, 08:23 AM
Yep, big win for RMU over Saint Francis this weekend. Not sure how much that represents a serious improvement at BobbyMo or a real step back in Loretto.

RMU struggled in its final NEC seasons and the move to the BS/OVC was definitely going to be a struggle, especially early on.

It was also reported that CCSU will work-out/practice at YSU as they bus out from New Britain on Thursday to stay in Youngstown for their FBS game this Saturday at Kent State.

Paladin1aa
September 11th, 2023, 09:00 AM
Yep, big win for RMU over Saint Francis this weekend. Not sure how much that represents a serious improvement at BobbyMo or a real step back in Loretto.

RMU struggled in its final NEC seasons and the move to the BS/OVC was definitely going to be a struggle, especially early on.

It was also reported that CCSU will work-out/practice at YSU as they bus out from New Britain on Thursday to stay in Youngstown for their FBS game this Saturday at Kent State.

Will they be using YSUs indoor facility or use the Stambaugh Stadium field ?

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2023, 09:28 AM
Not sure. Our AD just shared the team's travel plans at halftime interview during the game against Stonehill.

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2023, 10:01 AM
Either way, that is pretty cool that CCSU will be at YSU this week

Paladin1aa
September 12th, 2023, 11:53 AM
I’m thinking this one is not a blowout. Meaningless game with a bye week before UNI. That means other than getting the game under control, they won’t risk needless injury and get a chance to see the backups, giving them some reps to build on depth and experience. They will return another heavy number of starters for 2024 and if they develope depth , will be looking at another winning season with good shot at playoffs again. Also see if they improve on pass D over the OSU game. Wont see WRs anywhere near that good again this season. We also need to get the ball to our WRs more as they had decent game against Ohio St. quality DBs.

Im thinking 31-0 YSU.

BeamMeUp
September 12th, 2023, 05:08 PM
I’m thinking this one is not a blowout. Meaningless game with a bye week before UNI. That means other than getting the game under control, they won’t risk needless injury and get a chance to see the backups, giving them some reps to build on depth and experience. They will return another heavy number of starters for 2024 and if they develope depth , will be looking at another winning season with good shot at playoffs again. Also see if they improve on pass D over the OSU game. Wont see WRs anywhere near that good again this season. We also need to get the ball to our WRs more as they had decent game against Ohio St. quality DBs.

Im thinking 31-0 YSU.
Interesting to see you predicting a shutout Paladin. I am optimistic of a victory, but not of a shutout. RMU QB Chiccitt is 35/45 in his two games played thus far, with 4 TD's. Although I fully expect YSU to shut down RMU's rushing attack (under 100 yards rushing), I am hesitant to think our secondary can put together a full four quarters and keep the Colonials off the scoreboard. This should be a good test for our defensive staff to make the proper adjustments to sure up our secondary before conference play. It would be nice to see some sacks, while minimizing big pass plays. Would also be nice to have a high % of third down stops.

I will go with YSU 35-10.

caribbeanhen
September 12th, 2023, 06:54 PM
Was surprised to see St Francis get beat by Robert Morris but obviously that is last year thinking

Delaware opens home slate vs St Francis this Saturday

Paladin1aa
September 12th, 2023, 07:10 PM
Beam - as I said before, the D is the best part of the team this year. We held Ohio State to SEVEN second half points. OSU left their starters in for the second half with another all star QB. We shut off the pass game. Stopped the run ( that is saying something when you shut The Bucks run game down). YSU made some adjustments and we had much better pass coverage on future Pro WRs. We have more depth on D in case of injuries. While Bobby Morris is better than Valpo, they are picked to finish last (10th) in the Big South/OVC.

Two games under our belt and player confidence rising after taking on the Bucks. Look at the recent scores from MAC teams who played and got shellacked by OSU - 77 points down to 59. OSU was trying but YSU was holding their own. We are getting better quick. We will see just how much better in our division. Coaches want a shutout. Me too.

aceinthehole
September 12th, 2023, 08:14 PM
Was surprised to see St Francis get beat by Robert Morris but obviously that is last year thinking

Delaware opens home slate vs St Francis this Saturday

Expect a big win by the Blue Hens. This is not the same SFU team from the playoffs that UD saw last.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 13th, 2023, 09:20 AM
YSU 42-9

The Yo Show
September 13th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Expect a big win by the Blue Hens. This is not the same SFU team from the playoffs that UD saw last.

How much bigger of a win though? Delaware won the playoff game last year 56-17? Can't be that much worse than that other than lowering the score St Francis gets too...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 13th, 2023, 09:46 AM
Youngstown State 38 Robert Morris 13

Paladin1aa
September 13th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Game notes are out and YSU remains healthy. This will be the 5th meeting with RMU and YSU won the previous 4 games. They last met in 2019 with YSU crushing RMU 45-10. Depth chart continues to show the RFR monster recruit class filling starting or immediate back ups listings. In fact, this years projected tough D will return 9 starters next year. Only downer listed awards Rushton as the starting RB despite clearly being outplayed by transfer King. That won’t be long lasting as the difference is stark.

Also - YSUs new Director of Football Operations is Tom Phillips, HC Doug Phillips older brother. Fans might recall he is the former HC at Stow H.S. In the Akron suburbs who escaped to Youngstown leaving behind a bare cupboard at Stow. Stow is taking a beating this year in upper division competition.

Former YSU star Jelanni Berassa is the WR coach. Here’s hoping YSU sends him back to Florida to recruit superior talent as his contacts would be valuable. Berassa was a star WR, suffered a serious injury from which he recovered and played at a high level. Excellent role model.

I have invitations to attend home games this year as a guest in one of the loges. Definitely upper crust, lol.

The Yo Show
September 13th, 2023, 01:25 PM
As long as Doug continues the recruiting efforts, and gets another good class this year, I am pretty happy with the direction the program is headed so far. Remains to be seen how we do this year though I am very optimistic.

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2023, 12:36 PM
A little this and that -

YSU RFR QB Blanc was a backup QB at Bethel Park, Pa to RMU starter Chiccitt in h.s., a RJR. Chiccitt stats show 35 of 45 for 380 yds and 4 TDS. He isn’t much of a runner and is slightly built, only 185 lbs ,so they want to protect him from getting hit. Chiccitt did not start the Air Force game, appearing as the second half starter. St. Francis had them down 14-10 before RMU finally pulled away.

Passing game favors their TEs. They also throw to 6’4 and 6’3 WRs. Running game isn’t great. For YSU, I’d watch the D, especially the DBs as I suspect they will have to throw to stay in the game.

RMU has been dominated by YSU losing all 4 match ups and embarrassing scores of 45-10, 38-6 and 30-0.

I predicted a 31-0 win but the more I research RMU, the score may get out of hand. I don’t see them stopping the YSU run game and see the YSU D forcing lots of 3 and out. Their catch up passing results in inc passes stopping the clock running little time off. YSU should dominate both sides of the ball.

RMU game notes show nothing worthy of concern . Somewhat undersized. Weather should be dry and mild temps. Perfect game day.

The Yo Show
September 15th, 2023, 07:58 AM
I have heard that Robert Morris three best players are their QB, a LB, and their punter

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2023, 08:40 AM
How much bigger of a win though? Delaware won the playoff game last year 56-17? Can't be that much worse than that other than lowering the score St Francis gets too...

....SUMTHIN' FISHY IN...NEWARK....AS HENS OWNLAH SPOTTINN' ST. FRANCIS.....13.5....IN GOHENS SPREAD POOL.......xchinscratchx......AWQ?

Paladin1aa
September 15th, 2023, 09:42 AM
By the way, Mr. Chicken. I used to spend a lot of time annually over in Ocean City, Md. they have a lively cocktail lounge ( actually it was a dumpy bar ) where they used Foghorn Leghorns “head” as part of their logo. Their name for the place ? Big Peckers !

We have a Newark in Ohio as well. It’s not pronounced New-ark or New-irk. It’s Newrk .

In reconsidering my game prediction, I’m moving it from 31-0 YSU to a revised 42-3 YSU. Brawk !

Original_RMC
September 15th, 2023, 02:19 PM
I don't expect a RMU win and hoping that its at least competitive and no injures for either team.

Chiccitt did a nice job at QB last week against SFU. RMU finally has a true #1 WR with Noah Robinson who played great last week. It will be interesting to see how YSU covers him. Yes, the running game has struggled but in Game 2 against SFU, RMU made some positive changes with their OL.

RMU's Def is quick and their secondary played better than I expected vs. SFU. They need to create more QB pressure but that could require 5-6 players coming which will leave RMU DBs on islands with either Cover 1 or 0.

I'm hoping for a tough battle like 2015.

2015 | YSU 21 - RMU 14 in OT

All other games were over by half-time. xlolx

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 01:11 PM
Rushton 5 yd TD run . Kick blocked

YSU 6. RMU 0

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 01:44 PM
End of 1st qtr.

YSU 13

Rmu 7

The Yo Show
September 16th, 2023, 02:00 PM
RMU hanging tough so far

- - - Updated - - -

14 to 13 RMU. Secondary needs to clean it up

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 02:24 PM
King runs for second TD. YSU 27 - RMU 14

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 02:35 PM
YSU extremely sloppy. Lots of penalties, lost a fumble and Davidson is erratic and has an INT.

The Yo Show
September 16th, 2023, 02:37 PM
Looking hungover from the buckeyes

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Half

YSU 27-14

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 03:04 PM
Stats are good. RMU only gained 3 rushing yds first half. Need to tighten up the secondary.

The Yo Show
September 16th, 2023, 03:09 PM
Secondary has looked a bit rough. Let up a bunch of 1st down passes on 3rd and long

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 03:34 PM
King TD again.

YSU running away 41-14

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 03:54 PM
TD. Early 4th

YSU 48-14

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Subs are in. RMU scores. YSU 48-21

4th qtr 10:41

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Ohio State is destroying Western Kentucky 42-10 in the first half. Guins showed well against the Bucks.

Need to work on the pass D. YSU O generated 595 yds total . Played lots of players and looks healthy.

Bye week coming up.

Final 48-28.

penguinpower
September 16th, 2023, 05:07 PM
RMU was overmatched. YSU could have scored as many points as they wanted in them

BeamMeUp
September 16th, 2023, 06:30 PM
If YSU has any chance to win in 2 weeks in the UNIDome, they absolutely must clean up the penalties and our secondary. I feared with what RMU had shown thus far that they would try to pass all over us and they did for their first 3-4 drives. Our DB's got burned a few times. Their inability to turn around and find the ball in the air is disappointing. I hope they work hard the next two weeks to clean up the mistakes!

Offense generated a ton of yardage and points again.

Was not a pretty win. We did not dominate like I would have hoped. Nonetheless a win is a win and we are exactly where we thought we would be at this stage 2-1.

Beat UNI!!

ysubigred
September 16th, 2023, 08:53 PM
IMO, this team appears to play up or down to the competition. Typical of YSU teams since JT left. Fortunately, this version seems to be able to turn it up a notch when needed.

"IF" I was playing YSU, and I'd throw the ball 40 - 50 times with the D coordinator and these DBs and safety's you'd be assured of a competition or a penalty. Just a head scratcher to watch guys in different color jerseys run lose, while 3 guins are in the same zone..

Penalties are problematic, especially when the defense has a team 2nd or 3rd and long.

Offense hasn't shown its full potential. Oliver has yet to catch a TD, and the TB merry-go-round is frustrating.

Special teams are good, especially the punt team. Kick off is something that needs work.

The flightless birds are exactly where we thought they'd be after 3 games. I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be right now.

Either UNI has hit their stride or IDSU is bad. Traditionally, the purple team has YSUs number. YSU after a bye week is also traditionally bad. This, plus the big gym they have to play in, will be a tall task to kick off league play for a W..

I'm hoping they get **** cleaned up and make a run for post-season.. hell, I'm not getting any younger, lol..

Go Guins [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2023, 10:32 AM
My wrap up -

YSU did what it needed to do- it dominated both sides of the ball. They were substituting freely the second half and at 48-14, everyone was in the game. They have done a good job of playing everyone in the first 3 games, building experience, depth and developing players. They have to address the horrible penalties ( 9 and more were declined), the porous secondary and get a better pass rush on. RMU had a decent passing QB. He provided a challenge which helps to prepare YSU for the MVFC wars. The run game is solid, pass protection excellent as YSU rolled up 595 yds in total O. King has emerged as our dominate RB having his second 100+ yds game. Davidson settled down after a rocky start but did have an INT. YSU is where everyone expected them to be, 2-1.

On to UNI where the UNI gym curse awaits them. YSU has another decent team where they should present a big challenge to UNI. However , strange things happen in that gym, so I’ll be holding off on a prediction. If YSU is to make the playoffs, they have to do well in the MVFC. That starts with UNI, who has a decent multi- year QB starter in Day. If they can defend him, they have a solid chance to win.

Meanwhile , they face the dreaded BYE. No one wins against them. But it’s a chance to have an extra week to prepare for UNI and heal up any wounds. Grade for RMU game - B+.