PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers Coach

AZGrizFan
November 30th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Think Rutgers coach may be kicking himself in the azz for not taking a big payday job when he had the chance last year? After letting Loserville come back and beat them tonight, I'm guessin' he's not considered the "boy genius" that he was last year. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

whitey
November 30th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Are you implying that Schiano is a bad coach because he lost 1 single game that didn't matter at all for Rutgers? (read: they accepted a bowl invitation prior to the game). I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with you. 1 game is 1 game. Is Pete Carroll a bad coach for letting Stanford beat USC earlier this season? In statistics they call this small sample size.

He's taken one of the worst teams, if not THE worst team in I-A to 3 straight bowls now. Yeah, he's kicking himself. He's a bad coach. /sarcasm. The reality is that the preseason expectations were set too high for Rutgers based on their surprising success last season. They still had a solid season at 7-5. They are 25-12 in their last 3 seasons with a bowl win. Give me a break.

Anyway...what big payday jobs was he offered? All I remember is Miami. Rutgers practically matched the offer. Sounds like he got paid. Miami's facilities are such a mess you'd have to be the opposite of "genius" for taking that job. Especially considering the fact that Rutgers has pledged millions of dollars to upgrade their facilities and stadium.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Think Rutgers coach may be kicking himself in the azz for not taking a big payday job when he had the chance last year? After letting Loserville come back and beat them tonight, I'm guessin' he's not considered the "boy genius" that he was last year. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Schiano turned down Miami, they wanted him bad. He was too smart to inherit that mess, he is waiting for Paterno to retire so he can go the Penn State. He was an assistant an Penn State early in his career.

Seahawks Fan
November 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Schiano turned down Miami, they wanted him bad. He was too smart to inherit that mess, he is waiting for Paterno to retire so he can go the Penn State. He was an assistant an Penn State early in his career.

Agreed. Schiano is waiting on Penn State. He is way too smart to get involved in the mess at the U. He is an excellent recruiter and the kids love playing for him. What he did at Rutgers is a miracle. I know, I've been following the program for 30 years.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Agreed. Schiano is waiting on Penn State. He is way too smart to get involved in the mess at the U. He is an excellent recruiter and the kids love playing for him. What he did at Rutgers is a miracle. I know, I've been following the program for 30 years.

For those of us on the East Coast who have a better understanding of Rutgers football, we all realize what a great job he has done. Rutgers played a schedule consisting of Lehigh, Lafayette, and other FCS schools well into the 70's, they were practically played at a FCS level for many years. To bring them to an area where they are a consistent winning program is awesome. I love JoPa obviously and think he should stay until he wants to leave, but I will be doing backflips when Schiano arrives in Happy Valley and Penn State will be unstoppable. Also Mr. Schinano is a former Patriot League alum--he played football at Bucknell.

813Jag
November 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM
For those of us on the East Coast who have a better understanding of Rutgers football, we all realize what a great job he has done. Rutgers played a schedule consisting of Lehigh, Lafayette, and other FCS schools well into the 70's, they were practically played at a FCS level for many years. To bring them to an area where they are a consistent winning program is awesome. I love JoPa obviously and think he should stay until he wants to leave, but I will be doing backflips when Schiano arrives in Happy Valley and Penn State will be unstoppable. Also Mr. Schinano is a former Patriot League alum--he played football at Bucknell.
He has done a great job at Rutgers, he's made Rutgers another team to contend with in Florida, recruitingwise.

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2007, 10:24 AM

You're guessing wrong. The sports writers realize that Rutgers was overrated early this season, as opposed to underachieving. They're QB isn't that good, which was acknowledged last season. They lost half their backfield. No, 3 straight winning seasons for Rutgers is an amazing feat.

AZGrizFan
November 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Wow. Guess I touched a nerve, 'eh? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Point is, he could have gotten just about any job he wanted last year....now he's gotta hope that JoPa keels over soon, because one more year of backslidin' like this and he'll be replacing Wanstadt @ Pitt instead. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Wow. Guess I touched a nerve, 'eh? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Point is, he could have gotten just about any job he wanted last year....now he's gotta hope that JoPa keels over soon, because one more year of backslidin' like this and he'll be replacing Wanstadt @ Pitt instead. xnodx xnodx xnodx

I doubt his stock has dropped much. Look at some of the coaches being interviewed for or getting big jobs. Mike Sherman at A&M, Gill at Nebraska, Schiano would have been a much more attractive canidate for both school if he were interested. Pitt is a worse job than Rutgers at this point, Rutgers has upward momentum while Pitt is sliding badly. Pitt doesnt even play in there own stadium and they get poor attndance. Pitt football has totally lost that aura they once had.

Cobblestone
November 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I know of a coach on Schiano's staff who might be our next coach.
xwhistlex

whitey
November 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM
This is a correct statement:

Point is, he could have gotten just about any job he wanted last year.

The thing you aren't realizing is that he has the job he wants. There was next to zero chance that Schiano left Rutgers last year for any job in the country. He decided to make NJ his home, he enjoys working for Rutgers and they gave him a big raise and facilities upgrade promises to boot.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM
This is a correct statement:

The thing you aren't realizing is that he has the job he wants. There was next to zero chance that Schiano left Rutgers last year for any job in the country. He decided to make NJ his home, he enjoys working for Rutgers and they gave him a big raise and facilities upgrade promises to boot.

This is also very true. I think Penn State is the one other job that really excites him. Penn State has always had a lot of players and students from NJ and he is intimately familair with the school and its FB program.

whitey
November 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM
This is also very true. I think Penn State is the one other job that really excites him. Penn State has always had a lot of players and students from NJ and he is intimately familair with the school and its FB program.

Yeah, those Schiano to Penn State rumors have been circulating for a couple of years now. That's the only place I could see Schiano leaving Rutgers for. Even then I'd be skeptical until it actually happened.

Seahawks Fan
November 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah, those Schiano to Penn State rumors have been circulating for a couple of years now. That's the only place I could see Schiano leaving Rutgers for. Even then I'd be skeptical until it actually happened.

I think that will happen. Happy Valley is not that far from Jersey. He will leave Rutgers in a good situation. The man has a lot of class.

Cleets
November 30th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Bingo..!!!

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM
he can have losing seasons in 2008 and 2009 and would still top many top teams radar because of his ability to recruit, which would only increase if he had a prominent program to recruit for.

whitey
December 7th, 2007, 09:01 AM
So Schiano was approached by Michigan and he even turned them down (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3145205&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines).

So last year he turns down Miami and this year Michigan (although they probably didn't even have a chance to give him an offer). Unfortunately Rutgers is probably going to have to go through this every year with Schiano, methinks. This validates what most people said earlier, that he is at Rutgers to stay.

It's nice to see a Coach show commitment to his program rather than chasing the $.

spelunker64
December 7th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe he has a hot secretary at Rutgers...

whitey
December 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Well now the Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/12/wfan_schiano_truns_down_michig.html) is reporting that on Wednesday Schiano tentatively accepted the coaching position and then after sleeping on it for a night he changed his mind. This story gets a tad more interesting. But I still contend that if he turns down both Miami and Michigan in back-to-back years he probably isn't leaving Rutgers for quite some time.

It seems to me that this coaching search is becoming more and more embarrassing for Michigan.

Seahawks Fan
December 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Schiano is a class act. It's my opinion he will eventually leave for Penn. State. But nothing else. xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Well now the Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/12/wfan_schiano_truns_down_michig.html) is reporting that on Wednesday Schiano tentatively accepted the coaching position and then after sleeping on it for a night he changed his mind. This story gets a tad more interesting. But I still contend that if he turns down both Miami and Michigan in back-to-back years he probably isn't leaving Rutgers for quite some time.

It seems to me that this coaching search is becoming more and more embarrassing for Michigan.

It is quite surpising the Michigan job hasnt been snatched up. It pretty much you and Ohio State every year for the Big ten title with Penn State and Wisconson sprinkled in. More proof thet Schiano is the next man at Penn State!

Marcus Garvey
December 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
THe Michigan job, like Ohio State, Nebraska, Alabama, Texas, etc.. comes with a lot of "baggage." There's certain expectations that the fans have of the program that aren't always clear. It's a tough job for an outsider to jump into. Tressel grew up in Ohio and had been coaching there for years, so he understood Ohio St. I don't blame Schiano. Jumping from a school with little to no expectations to a "What have you done for us lately" situation in Michigan isn't very appealing.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'm happy for the success of Rutgers football and what coach Schiano has done with the program. I'm even happier to see him stay. Whether he remains there for life or moves on to Penn St., I won't mind. But it's great to see him pass on such a high profile job like Michigan.

dbackjon
December 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
It is quite surpising the Michigan job hasnt been snatched up. It pretty much you and Ohio State every year for the Big ten title with Penn State and Wisconson sprinkled in. More proof thet Schiano is the next man at Penn State!

Illinois was 10 yards from taking the title this year - won it in 2001 as well. With Zook, Illinois will be in the mix for years.

And why not stay at Rutgers? Only seven conference games, half against patsies, then fill out the schedule with Army, Navy, Buffalo, Temple and a FCS team - guaranteed 7-9 wins a year.

Marcus Garvey
December 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Illinois was 10 yards from taking the title this year - won it in 2001 as well. With Zook, Illinois will be in the mix for years.

And why not stay at Rutgers? Only seven conference games, half against patsies, then fill out the schedule with Army, Navy, Buffalo, Temple and a FCS team - guaranteed 7-9 wins a year.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
Except for the "conference games" part, you just described how Paterno built up Penn St.'s program.

Marcus Garvey
December 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Except for the "conference games" part, you just described how Paterno built up Penn St.'s program.

dbackjon
December 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Now that is post-padding!!

True - since PSU was indy all those years.

whitey
December 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Well in a few years you'll see Rutgers begin to schedule tougher opponents OOC. First of all they are in need of stadium upgrades which have just been approved (I think). It's my understanding that they've had some difficulty in scheduling home and homes with teams due to their facilities and stadium capacity. That problem should be solved in a couple of years.

Second of all, Rutgers does have Army on the schedule through 2012 and Navy on the schedule through 2014. But they also have deals setup with an ACC school (either Maryland or UNC) through 2011. Then in 2010 they start a 7 year series with Notre Dame.

So in 2010 there OOC schedule is going to look like this: UNC, Army, @Navy, @Notre Dame, TBD. That's not terrible considering Notre Dame will likely rebound by then and UNC could be much much improved by then with Butch Davis leading the way down there.

brownbear
December 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Well in a few years you'll see Rutgers begin to schedule tougher opponents OOC. First of all they are in need of stadium upgrades which have just been approved (I think). It's my understanding that they've had some difficulty in scheduling home and homes with teams due to their facilities and stadium capacity. That problem should be solved in a couple of years.

Second of all, Rutgers does have Army on the schedule through 2012 and Navy on the schedule through 2014. But they also have deals setup with an ACC school (either Maryland or UNC) through 2011. Then in 2010 they start a 7 year series with Notre Dame.

So in 2010 there OOC schedule is going to look like this: UNC, Army, @Navy, @Notre Dame, TBD. That's not terrible considering Notre Dame will likely rebound by then and UNC could be much much improved by then with Butch Davis leading the way down there.

UNC and Notre Dame have a loooonng way to go before they get better. Also, with Johnson gone at Navy, I don't if Navy will still be a good team.

danefan
December 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Stadium upgrades were put on hold by the Governor for further review of the state funding that was involved. Who knows what will happen to that.

whitey
December 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM
UNC and Notre Dame have a loooonng way to go before they get better. Also, with Johnson gone at Navy, I don't if Navy will still be a good team.

I agree with you about Navy. But I don't think you can say with such certainty that UNC and ND are a "looooong" way away.

The 2010 season is 3 years from now. Butch Davis' first recruiting class will be junior/seniors. He'll have 3 more recruiting classes to work with. I don't think UNC is necessarily more than 3 years from showing vast improvements.

Notre Dame could be more of a crapshoot considering how far they have fallen off this year, but 3 years seems like a long time for schools like ND and UNC to not improve. For a convenient comparison look at Rutgers. It took Schiano 4 or 5 years to turn the worst program in I-A into a good team. Schiano had much less support available to him then what UNC and ND will be able to provide Davis and Weis (or insert new coach here xrotatehx ).

If Schiano can turn Rutgers around in 4-5 years I can't fathom UNC and ND not improving significantly by 2010.

whitey
December 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Stadium upgrades were put on hold by the Governor for further review of the state funding that was involved. Who knows what will happen to that.

So Politicians promised to deliver something and now are stalling and will likely deliver nothing. Where have I heard that one before? :D

Seahawks Fan
December 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
So Politicians promised to deliver something and now are stalling and will likely deliver nothing. Where have I heard that one before? :D

Not so fast. This will get done:

Corzine: I'll lead fundraising for stadium expansion

by Matthew Futterman, The Star-Ledger Thursday December 06, 2007, 8:42 AM
A week after pulling state support for a $100 million renovation of Rutgers Stadium, Gov. Jon Corzine said yesterday he will lead a private fund-raising effort aimed at resuscitating the project.

Corzine and state Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union) informed the university's Board of Governors in a letter they would raise $30 million by next summer for the project.

The duo said they had already raised 10 percent of the money to add 13,000 seats, including nearly 900 premium club seats, and a dining club for high-priced ticket holders. Lesniak said the governor is pledging $1 million of his own money and they have a $2 million commitment from an anonymous donor.

Complete article: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2007/12/corzine_ill_lead_fundraising_f.html

Preliminary sketches: http://www.hoksportarchitecture.com/projects/rutgersfootball.html