PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Ivy League Thread

Pages : [1] 2

bonarae
September 9th, 2023, 07:53 PM
I have decided not to go on with weekly pick'em and discussion threads for this conference anymore this season. In its place is a unified season-wide Ivy League thread.

Welcome to the gridiron, Ivy League for 2023!

bulldog10jw
September 9th, 2023, 09:49 PM
Let's hope that Ivytalk doesn't abandon his attendance thread. xconfusedx

Go...gate
September 10th, 2023, 12:46 AM
Princeton should be solid.

bonarae
September 10th, 2023, 03:55 AM
Here are the games for Week 1:

All games Saturday, September 16
Holy Cross at Yale - not sure of the Elis, but Holy Cross is ready for payback coming from a near-scalp at BC.
Cornell at Lehigh - trivia: Lehigh at Merrimack was actually played at Harvard due to damage in Merrimack's campus as well as power outages.
Columbia at Lafayette
Penn at Colgate
St. Thomas at Harvard - H is akin to Samford, Elon or UNI now? The Tommies were shut out at USD but I think this'll come to a close result.
Princeton at San Diego - Ditto for the Toreros... xchinscratchx
Brown at Bryant
Dartmouth at New Hampshire - UNH too good especially coming from a heartbreaking almost-scalp over in Michigan.

Son of Eli
September 10th, 2023, 06:19 AM
Week 1 predictions:

Yale over Holy Cross
Lehigh over Cornell
Columbia over Lafayette
Penn over Colgate
Harvard over St Thomas
Princeton over San Diego
Bryant over Brown
Dartmouth over New Hampshire

Ivytalk
September 10th, 2023, 11:27 AM
:D
Let's hope that Ivytalk doesn't abandon his attendance thread. xconfusedx

I won’t!xthumbsupx

KPSUL
September 10th, 2023, 12:08 PM
Week 1 predictions:

Yale over Holy Cross
Lehigh over Cornell
Columbia over Lafayette
Penn over Colgate
Harvard over St Thomas
Princeton over San Diego
Bryant over Brown
New Hampshire over Dartmouth

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, just sincerely asking; how do you see Yale winning this game? I really haven't research any Ivy team in any detail except for our instate rival. I know you won the the Ivy Championship and the game is at the Yale Bowl, but what other factors do you see leading to a Yale victory?

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 12:52 PM
I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, just sincerely asking; how do you see Yale winning this game? I really haven't research any Ivy team in any detail except for our instate rival. I know you won the the Ivy Championship and the game is at the Yale Bowl, but what other factors do you see leading to a Yale victory?

This game will be the ultimate gut check for Holy Cross.

1) Home game for Yale
2) Yale tends to get up for big OOC games, and this is a big BIG one. Easily the biggest game on their schedule aside from "The Game", with all due respect to Princeton.
3) History is a thing. We're still I think just 7-27 all time against Yale but having won 3 of last 4.
4) We THUMPED Yale last year, same week. Week 3 for normal schools, Week 1 Ivy. The Eli will want payback.
5) Not at all uncommon for their to be a hangover effect after either a big win or highly emotional loss, especially against an FBS.
6) HC defensive front not what it was last year. Star-studded on D for sure but we're young on the line of scrimmage.

I have this as HC - 5.5 => biggest asset for Holy Cross is the fact that we continue to show that we're a second half team. I could see this being a similar game to the 2021 edition at the Yale Bowl, with HC having to dig in and pull it out late.

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Holy Cross 38 Yale 30
Lehigh 22 Cornell 17
Lafayette 24 Columbia 14
Penn 27 Colgate 7
Harvard 31 St. Thomas 21 => I think the Tommies beat Harvard....next year.
Princeton 35 San Diego 17
Bryant 40 Brown 13
New Hampshire 33 Dartmouth 14

Son of Eli
September 10th, 2023, 01:02 PM

I think the fact that Reno’s former OC Conlin had a victory over an FBS school yesterday will give Reno extra motivation to win. The Ivy League rarely gets opportunities to play an FBS school, so Reno will see this as a rare chance for a marquee OOC victory. He won’t let it pass. Plus it’s Yale’s 150th season and Reno wants it to be a success. Yale’s talent is as good as Holy Cross’. It will come down to which coach is more motivated. I think Reno will be more motivated.

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 01:08 PM
I think the fact that Reno’s former OC Conlin had a victory over an FBS school yesterday will give Reno extra motivation to win. The Ivy League rarely gets opportunities to play an FBS school, so Reno will see this as a rare chance for a marquee OOC victory. He won’t let it pass. Plus it’s Yale’s 150 season and Reno wants it to be a success. Yale’s talent is as good as Holy Cross’. It will come down to which coach is more motivated. I think Reno will be more motivated.

Both coaches should be equally motivated. This game is a must-win IMO for us if we hope to put together an at-large playoff resume. If we lose, we would probably have to beat both Harvard and Army to secure an at-large, in the event that we don't win our conference. A win and we definitely maintain the inside track on a postseason bid.

Son of Eli
September 10th, 2023, 01:19 PM
Both coaches should be equally motivated. This game is a must-win IMO for us if we hope to put together an at-large playoff resume. If we lose, we would probably have to beat both Harvard and Army to secure an at-large, in the event that we don't win our conference. A win and we definitely maintain the inside track on a postseason bid.

If Holy Cross can’t win the Patriot League they aren’t going to go far in the playoffs anyway. I mean Fordham is good, but I don’t think they’re top 10 good. Also, in effect this is Yale’s playoff game.

bulldog10jw
September 10th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Yale will certainly try to run the ball as much as possible. The running attack should be their strength with a veteran offensive line, three solid running backs, and a good elusive QB. If successful, it could help limit Sluka's time on the field which is important if Yale wants to have a chance to win. We will see.

Ivytalk
September 11th, 2023, 07:48 AM
Holy Cross 38 Yale 30
Lehigh 22 Cornell 17
Lafayette 24 Columbia 14
Penn 27 Colgate 7
Harvard 31 St. Thomas 21 => I think the Tommies beat Harvard....next year.
Princeton 35 San Diego 17
Bryant 40 Brown 13
I agree with these picks, except for Harvard-St. Thomas. The reason? See my siggy. Harvard’s only home win last year was a lucky OT win over Merrimack.

Hey, bulldog, do you expect my homeboy Robbie Tattersall to get any meaningful PT for Yale this season?

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Hey, bulldog?

Big man
walking in the park
Wigwam
frightened of the dark

Just having some fun Ivy

Go Green
September 11th, 2023, 10:47 AM

While I expect UNH to win, Dartmouth should be able to get more than 14 points. Our QB was injured last season and appears recovered now. And we return most of the O-line and receivers.

The Cats
September 11th, 2023, 04:24 PM
Holy Cross at Yale
Cornell at Lehigh
Columbia at Lafayette
Penn at Colgate
St. Thomas at Harvard
Princeton at San Diego
Brown at Bryant
Dartmouth at New Hampshire

bulldog10jw
September 11th, 2023, 07:40 PM
Hey, bulldog, do you expect my homeboy Robbie Tattersall to get any meaningful PT for Yale this season?

No clue. Reno is notoriously secretive and I have heard nothing through the grapevine and with no scrimmage this year there isn't even basic speculation.

I will say that Tony has no problem playing freshman who stand out.

Maybe Son of Eli has heard something.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2023, 08:10 PM
While I expect UNH to win, Dartmouth should be able to get more than 14 points. Our QB was injured last season and appears recovered now. And we return most of the O-line and receivers.

Howard played, was he injured? I'm not sure you had broken in your passing QB by our game.

Also, I hate to say it, but Dylan Laube dressed for the game but didn't play a single snap vs Dartmouth last year. He was nursing undescribed minor injuries.

I'm sure you'll put some points up on the board. That was a bit of an outlier of a game last season.

ngineer
September 11th, 2023, 09:54 PM
I think the fact that Reno’s former OC Conlin had a victory over an FBS school yesterday will give Reno extra motivation to win. The Ivy League rarely gets opportunities to play an FBS school, so Reno will see this as a rare chance for a marquee OOC victory. He won’t let it pass. Plus it’s Yale’s 150th season and Reno wants it to be a success. Yale’s talent is as good as Holy Cross’. It will come down to which coach is more motivated. I think Reno will be more motivated.

I think Reno will also want to “keep pace” with his former asst. HC Kevin Cahill as well!😉😄
Also, any insight as to how the Lehigh-Merrimack game ended up at Harvard? I heard that Holy Cross and and some other venue were under consideration.

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2023, 12:44 PM
No clue. Reno is notoriously secretive and I have heard nothing through the grapevine and with no scrimmage this year there isn't even basic speculation.

I will say that Tony has no problem playing freshman who stand out.

Maybe Son of Eli has heard something.

The roster has him as a TE. Yale has a very good senior TE by the name of Jackson Hawes so barring injury I doubt he will see much action this year beyond possibly special teams.

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2023, 12:54 PM
For what it’s worth, both Sagarin and Massey have Yale favored against Holy Cross.

crusader11
September 12th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Eli, I see you're a Greenwich guy! I grew up there. Are you native to Greenwich?

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2023, 03:06 PM
Eli, I see you're a Greenwich guy! I grew up there. Are you native to Greenwich?

Yes. Born and raised. Greenwich High School class of 87.

crusader11
September 12th, 2023, 04:21 PM

Brunswick class of 2007.

bulldog10jw
September 13th, 2023, 01:00 PM

Ever see Tom Seaver around town?

Ivytalk
September 13th, 2023, 03:29 PM

Er, not lately….;)

Son of Eli
September 13th, 2023, 03:31 PM

No, but I’ve seen John Rogan!

bulldog10jw
September 13th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Er, not lately….;)

Well, I knew it wasn't lately 🤔

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2023, 06:24 PM
Er, not lately….;)

Jackie Robinson?

Go...gate
September 15th, 2023, 03:02 AM
Holy Cross 28, Yale 24

Lehigh 23, Cornell 13

Lafayette 21, Columbia 16

Pennsylvania 27, Colgate 23

Harvard 24, St Thomas 17

Princeton 33, San Diego 22

Bryant 30, Brown 14

New Hampshire 34, Dartmouth 21

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2023, 07:29 AM
Harvard better beat St Thomas by a few TDs ….. some voters had them in their preseason top 25 and of course no Ivy team to be seen

bonarae
September 15th, 2023, 10:28 PM
Harvard better beat St Thomas by a few TDs ….. some voters had them in their preseason top 25 and of course no Ivy team to be seen

If the Tommies can't score still, another PFL team will win the title and the autobid. No PFL team is deserving of an autobid or dominating their conference right now. xsighx

Mike296
September 16th, 2023, 02:01 AM
If the Tommies can't score still, another PFL team will win the title and the autobid. No PFL team is deserving of an autobid or dominating their conference right now. xsighx

I’m sure they’ll be better off in PFL play but I’m not sure how to gauge this game against Harvard. A. St Thomas started their backup Quarterback last week due to injury to the starter and the backup is a freshman. Mind you the starter is only a sophomore. B. They played tough defense against the Coyotes for most of the game. Makes me think that if they can get the offense going that they could be dangerous here. C. This is not necessarily a senior laden team by any stretch. 18 seniors on a roster of nearly 100 players. D. Harvard was missing 2 of their top WR’s last week due to injury also.

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2023, 08:57 AM
I agree with these picks, except for Harvard-St. Thomas. The reason? See my siggy. Harvard’s only home win last year was a lucky OT win over Merrimack.

Damn and this would be the year to play you folks then. We have played you in rebuilding years and now you are in one.

bulldog10jw
September 16th, 2023, 09:14 AM
Damn and this would be the year to play you folks then. We have played you in rebuilding years and now you are in one.

Don't be fooled. Harvard still has an abundance of talent.

NY Crusader 2010
September 16th, 2023, 09:23 AM
I had a dream last night => Yale 62 Holy Cross 59 (OT). Let's see if that means anything.

Sitting Bull
September 16th, 2023, 09:26 AM
I had a dream last night => Yale 62 Holy Cross 59 (OT). Let's see if that means anything.

That’s a nightmare

KPSUL
September 16th, 2023, 10:42 AM

If it went to OT I'd pick Holy Cross. They've been very effective winning close ones the last couple years.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2023, 11:31 AM
Don't be fooled. Harvard still has an abundance of talent.

Some of that talent emigrated through the portal. Our stud WR Wimberley, who had that big game against Yale two years ago, plays for Delaware now.

With Lee in town, I’m thinking 7+ combined turnovers.xrotatehx

Mike296
September 16th, 2023, 12:23 PM
Some of that talent emigrated through the portal. Our stud WR Wimberley, who had that big game against Yale two years ago, plays for Delaware now.

I’m not surprised this is going the way it is. The talent discrepancy is clear as day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Harvard excommunicated the Tommies, 45-13. Won the turnover battle, 4-1, including a 96-yard pick six. Shows you the meaninglessness of the time-of-possession stat: the Tommies had the ball for 40 minutes and were never in the game.

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 04:40 PM
I’ve never understood all the hoopla around Nolan Grooms. A nice player, but seems limited as a passer. Can extend plays with his legs, but isn’t a burner that can beat you like a real mobile quarterback.

bulldog10jw
September 16th, 2023, 04:58 PM
I’ve never understood all the hoopla around Nolan Grooms. A nice player, but seems limited as a passer. Can extend plays with his legs, but isn’t a burner that can beat you like a real mobile quarterback.

He's a good player. You're just used to Sluka who is on another level. I also never realized how good HC's offensive line was. That certainly helps

Wolffan
September 16th, 2023, 07:06 PM
HC had little trouble defeating Yale. Which is no surprise since they did the same last year. With many of the same players returning on both teams.

I don’t think HC’s FCS opponents (or at least the opponents’ fans) are aware how strong their overall roster is. You can’t go toe to toe against BC with just Sluka.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2023, 10:27 PM
Nice win by Princeton.

bonarae
September 17th, 2023, 12:03 AM
Week 2 Games:

Friday - Brown at Harvard, 7 PM
Saturday:
Cornell at Yale, 12 PM
Georgetown at Columbia, 12:30 PM
Lehigh at Dartmouth, 1:30 PM
Bryant at Princeton, 3 PM
Penn at Bucknell, 3:30 PM

Will post picks at a later time. Will cast my vote first.

bonarae
September 17th, 2023, 03:37 AM
Picks:
Harvard - wait, what's going on with Brown almost not closing out at Bryant?
Cornell - can the Elis regroup?
Georgetown - Columbia is lost...
Lehigh
Princeton
Penn

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2023, 04:08 AM

Wimberly had a pretty spectacular TD catch last night, the good part was the YAC

Go Green
September 17th, 2023, 09:51 AM
Man, was I wrong about Dartmouth's offense. Other than one 65-yard catch-and-run, we looked awful on offense....

:( :( :(

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Picks:
Harvard - wait, what's going on with Brown almost not closing out at Bryant?
Cornell - can the Elis regroup?
Georgetown - Columbia is lost...
Lehigh
Princeton
Penn
Mine:
Harvard
Yale
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Princeton
Penn

bonarae
September 19th, 2023, 08:30 PM
With Teevens' death, can Dartmouth remove the interim tag off McCorkle now? Or do they need to wait until season's end?

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2023, 06:30 AM
With Teevens' death, can Dartmouth remove the interim tag off McCorkle now? Or do they need to wait until season's end?

Even if they think McCorkle is their man, they will go through a search. That's just how these things are done.

Go Green
September 20th, 2023, 11:39 AM

Might be a bit unseemly to do it so soon. I'm not even sure McCorkle ever even moved into Teevens' office at Floren Varsity House.

And unless we have a very poor season, I'm fully expecting McCorkle to return next season as official HC. They may or may not go through a search, but I'd be beyond surprised if McCorkle is not the HC in 2024.

Ivytalk
September 22nd, 2023, 09:48 PM
Lots of offense in Harvard’s win over Brown. As usual, Harvard can’t stop the pass, but the Crimson offense is well balanced: over 200 yards rushing, over 200 yards passing.

NY Crusader 2010
September 23rd, 2023, 07:19 AM
Attendance 15K+ at Harvard Stadium last night. Not bad.

Do Harvard and Brown always play early in the season and on Friday night? Seems like it.

bonarae
September 23rd, 2023, 07:35 AM
Do Harvard and Brown always play early in the season and on Friday night? Seems like it.

Yes; it has been that early for a while now. I believe the lights started functioning in the late 2000s or early 2010s IIRC.

NY Crusader 2010
September 23rd, 2023, 08:34 AM
Yes; it has been that early for a while now. I believe the lights started functioning in the late 2000s or early 2010s IIRC.

IIRC Harvard played Brown under the lights in 2007 and the following year Holy Cross. The 2008 HC-Harvard game in Cambridge drew 22,000, probably the highest attended non-Yale game at Harvard Stadium this century if I had to guess. While I'd like to forget about that 4th quarter, that was an electric night. Great memory minus the disappointing result for us at the end.

bonarae
September 23rd, 2023, 06:22 PM
Meanwhile... Yale is now 0-2. Do you think there will be a new team to become Ivy champions this season?

Can Harvard's D play tougher? Next week, we will play Holy Cross. Do you think the Crusaders will humiliate us? xchinscratchx

bulldog10jw
September 23rd, 2023, 06:59 PM
Meanwhile... Yale is now 0-2. Do you think there will be a new team to become Ivy champions this season?

Can Harvard's D play tougher? Next week, we will play Holy Cross. Do you think the Crusaders will humiliate us? xchinscratchx

Yale would have to sweep the rest of their Ivy games to have a chance. 5-2 rarely wins a piece of the title. So it will be difficult. Since the defense has yet to show up this year, odds are not good.

I expect Harvard to make a decent showing. HC can be scored on, but Harvard would have to play a perfect game to keep up with their offense. The first three and out and you could be down by two touchdowns.

bonarae
September 23rd, 2023, 10:38 PM
Week 3 Games:
Friday:
Columbia at Princeton 7 PM
Saturday:
CCSU at Brown 12 PM
Morgan State at Yale 12 PM
Dartmouth at Penn 1 PM
Colgate at Cornell 2 PM
Harvard vs. Holy Cross (Worcester, MA -- Polar Park) 5 PM

My picks:
Columbia
Brown - CCSU is nowhere to be found now?
Yale - Morgan State collapsed in OT...
Dartmouth - toss-up
Cornell
Holy Cross - Harvard has an underperforming D.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2023, 05:30 PM
Princeton ( will the crowd reach 10K? I doubt it)
Brown
Yale
Penn
Cornell
Holy Cross ( my guess is 45-28)

NY Crusader 2010
September 24th, 2023, 05:42 PM
Princeton ( will the crowd reach 10K? I doubt it)
Brown
Yale
Penn
Cornell
Holy Cross ( my guess is 45-28)

Lucky if they get half that. Is it Homecoming?

ngineer
September 24th, 2023, 09:41 PM
Might be a bit unseemly to do it so soon. I'm not even sure McCorkle ever even moved into Teevens' office at Floren Varsity House.

And unless we have a very poor season, I'm fully expecting McCorkle to return next season as official HC. They may or may not go through a search, but I'd be beyond surprised if McCorkle is not the HC in 2024.

I think it is almost "required" at most places, now, especially in academia, that a search be undertaken. If McCorkle has been at Dartmouth for a while (10 years or more) then I think automatically elevating him would be less problematic.

bonarae
September 25th, 2023, 02:23 AM
I think it is almost "required" at most places, now, especially in academia, that a search be undertaken. If McCorkle has been at Dartmouth for a while (10 years or more) then I think automatically elevating him would be less problematic.

Yes... McCorkle has been in Hanover for 18 years running.... but to make it for "compliance" reasons, a national search will also be undertaken after the season ends.

Go Green
September 25th, 2023, 06:08 AM
Week 3 Games:
Friday:
Columbia at Princeton 7 PM
Saturday:
CCSU at Brown 12 PM
Morgan State at Yale 12 PM
Dartmouth at Penn 1 PM
Colgate at Cornell 2 PM
Harvard vs. Holy Cross (Worcester, MA -- Polar Park) 5 PM

My picks:
Columbia
Brown - CCSU is nowhere to be found now?
Yale - Morgan State collapsed in OT...
Dartmouth - toss-up
Cornell
Holy Cross - Harvard has an underperforming D.

I actually agree that Dartmouth-Penn is anyone's guess. They are two very physical teams. It could come down to whoever protects the ball better.

I wish the game was in Hanover. But it's in Philly...

NY Crusader 2010
September 25th, 2023, 06:11 AM

Might depend on the state, but in NY just about everywhere it's legally required for a position to be posted and a minimum application period allowed. Even if the company has someone in waiting for the position. The only way around it would be to eliminate the position, but re-create it with a different title. But, in my experience, even when you know who you're promoting for a position, it's typically a better practice to spend the time going through interviews. This allows you to identify those with the talent and drive needed when the next position opens up.

NY Crusader 2010
September 25th, 2023, 06:16 AM
Princeton 20 Columbia 7
Cornell 23 Colgate 15
Holy Cross 35 Harvard 24
Brown 45 CCSU 19
Yale 24 Morgan State 22
Penn 23 Dartmouth 20

Really tempted to pick Morgan State. What a disaster that would be for Yale to start out 0-3, with all 3 losses at home. Of course, they should control their own destiny for at least a share of the Ivy if they can figure it out.

UAalum72
September 25th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Really tempted to pick Morgan State. What a disaster that would be for Yale to start out 0-3, with all 3 losses at home. Of course, they should control their own destiny for at least a share of the Ivy if they can figure it out.
Morgan State defense has given up only five touchdowns in four games (an FBS and three CAA teams,) not counting the one in OT vs. Albany

Go Green
September 25th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Princeton 20 Columbia 7
Cornell 23 Colgate 15
Holy Cross 35 Harvard 24
Brown 45 CCSU 19
Yale 24 Morgan State 22
Penn 23 Dartmouth 20

That's a lot easier said than done. I can only think of three times when an Ivy team started 0-1 league play but still got a share of the title: 1982 Dartmouth, 1990 Dartmouth, and 2015 Penn.

And perhaps not a coincidence, but in each example, Dartmouth lost to Penn in the opener and vice versa.

crusader11
September 25th, 2023, 01:04 PM
That's a lot easier said than done. I can only think of three times when an Ivy team started 0-1 league play but still got a share of the title: 1982 Dartmouth, 1990 Dartmouth, and 2015 Penn.

And perhaps not a coincidence, but in each example, Dartmouth lost to Penn in the opener and vice versa.

Harvard in 2008

Brown in 2005

Interestingly, from 2001-2004, the Ivy champ went undefeated in conference.

Go Green
September 25th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Harvard in 2008

Brown in 2005

Looks like you are correct, sir! I'm impressed!

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2023, 03:48 PM

I think it was 1973 that Dartmouth lost their first three games, two were out of conference, and won their last six to finish 6-1 and win the title.

NY Crusader 2010
September 25th, 2023, 06:42 PM
Harvard in 2008

Brown in 2005

Interestingly, from 2001-2004, the Ivy champ went undefeated in conference.

I also totally forgot that Brown won a share of the Ivy title in 2008, tying with Harvard who they actually beat head-to-head. I remembered Brown winning in '05.

bulldog10jw
September 29th, 2023, 07:30 PM
Princeton 3 Columbia 0 at the half in a game that set the standard for football games in 1890

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2023, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Have it one now... 7-3 Columbia late 3Q, ESPNU

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2023, 10:14 PM
Princeton wins it , 10-7, in a rainstorm on a 1-yard plunge with 2 minutes left, capping an 80-yard, 10-minute drive. Columbia’s only TD was on a 2-yard pick-6.

NY Crusader 2010
September 30th, 2023, 06:02 AM
Princeton wins it , 10-7, in a rainstorm on a 1-yard plunge with 2 minutes left, capping an 80-yard, 10-minute drive. Columbia’s only TD was on a 2-yard pick-6.

That was the closest thing I've ever seen to a 0 yard INT return TD. Guy basically was already in the EZ. Good, old-fashioned bad weather football last night, with the expected slippery ball turnovers. Was pulling for the Lions to get that stop there at the end and hold on.

bonarae
September 30th, 2023, 06:07 AM
That was the closest thing I've ever seen to a 0 yard INT return TD. Guy basically was already in the EZ. Good, old-fashioned bad weather football last night, with the expected slippery ball turnovers. Was pulling for the Lions to get that stop there at the end and hold on.

Was the outcome of the ODU-TAMUC game any different from Princeton-Columbia 2023? xchinscratchx

Wolffan
September 30th, 2023, 10:01 AM
One problem with being an insular league with a small amount of (generally poor) OOC scheduling is a tendency to drift downward in terms of quality. Which we are seeing in real time in the Ivy League. At the same time league games may be competitive and there may be several challengers for the Ivy title this year.

bonarae
September 30th, 2023, 10:21 AM
One problem with being an insular league with a small amount of (generally poor) OOC scheduling is a tendency to drift downward in terms of quality. Which we are seeing in real time in the Ivy League. At the same time league games may be competitive and there may be several challengers for the Ivy title this year.

The Ivies have regressed schedule wise while its former conference challengers like the Big Sky and MVFC have literally stepped up their scheduling game. xsighx

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2023, 02:00 PM

Jack Siedlecki mentioned on the Yale broadcast today that in 1999 Yale lost its opener to Brown, then won 9 straight. It reminded me that in 1976 Yale lost its opener, also to Brown, then won 8 straight.

Go Green
September 30th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Dartmouth beats Penn in OT. Game never should have reached OT, as we had several chances to deliver a knockout punch and failed.

But hey- I'll take it!

We lost our best passing QB to injury. Hope that he's ok....

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2023, 06:27 PM
Harvard 35 Holy Cross 21.

I said you can score.on Holy Cross, but no one had the defense, certainly not Yale, to slow them down. Maybe Harvard does have the D. We will see.

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Sluka just intercepted for the third time.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2023, 06:38 PM
Sluka just intercepted for the third time.

hes looking for a phone booth

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2023, 06:52 PM
Harvard 38 HC 21 about 7 minutes left

Son of Eli
September 30th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Harvard looks very, very good.

Son of Eli
September 30th, 2023, 07:05 PM
When is Harvard going to learn to bat the ball down, not up.

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2023, 07:08 PM
Harvard 38 HC 28 - 3 minutes left

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2023, 07:15 PM
HC gets the ball back with two minutes left 90 yards and two scores away.

Son of Eli
September 30th, 2023, 07:16 PM
That’s it. Holy Cross turned the ball over on downs. Victory formation for Harvard. Great win for Harvard.

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2023, 07:20 PM
Congrats to Ivytalk. .Great OOC win for Harvard.

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2023, 07:29 PM
Thanks, bulldog. We won the turnover battle, 5-0. That was the big story.

Go...gate
October 1st, 2023, 01:29 AM
I think it was 1973 that Dartmouth lost their first three games, two were out of conference, and won their last six to finish 6-1 and win the title.

bonarae
October 1st, 2023, 03:08 AM
Harvard fooled all of us this past Saturday.

Moving forward...

Friday:
Cornell at Harvard
Saturday:
Rhody at Brown
Marist at Columbia
Georgetown at Penn
Lafayette at Princeton
Yale at Dartmouth

My picks:
Harvard
Rhody
Columbia
Georgetown
Lafayette
Dartmouth

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2023, 06:49 AM
Harvard fooled all of us this past Saturday.

Moving forward...

Friday:
Cornell at Harvard
Saturday:
Rhody at Brown
Marist at Columbia
Georgetown at Penn
Lafayette at Princeton
Yale at Dartmouth

My picks:
Harvard
Rhody
Columbia
Georgetown
Lafayette
Dartmouth

Hey I will be at Princeton Saturday game

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2023, 07:01 AM

I don't think so. Yale and Harvard shared the title in 1974. I tend to remember seasons when Yale lost to Harvard in the last 30 seconds.

Go Green
October 1st, 2023, 07:29 AM
My picks:
Harvard
Rhody
Columbia
Georgetown
Lafayette
Dartmouth

Ballsy! :)

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2023, 06:59 PM
Harvard
URI
Columbia
Penn
Princeton
Yale

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2023, 08:12 PM
Harvard 27 Cornell 21
Rhode Island 42 Brown 32
Penn 27 Georgetown 10
Lafayette 30 Princeton 27 (OT)
Columbia 34 Marist 0
Yale 35 Dartmouth 26

Go...gate
October 4th, 2023, 01:48 AM
I don't think so. Yale and Harvard shared the title in 1974. I tend to remember seasons when Yale lost to Harvard in the last 30 seconds.

I stand corrected. I believe it was 1973.

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Yale at Dartmouth to be televised on NESN

caribbeanhen
October 6th, 2023, 10:38 PM
Harvard players go on strike demanding a chance to play in FCS playoffs….. we can dream

Ivytalk
October 7th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Harvard looked good last night in thrashing Cornell. Offense is balanced and powerful, with DePrima looking better each week at QB. Defense has been just good enough, and opportunistic. Kicking game is iffy, but it hasn’t cost them yet.

Son of Eli
October 7th, 2023, 04:15 PM
So nice to see Yale come out of Hanover with a win. First time since 2010. Usually Yale finds a way to lose there, or is completely embarrassed in a blow out. Four turnovers by Dartmouth today was the difference.

Dartmouth is a very good team. They should perform well from here on out.

Wolffan
October 7th, 2023, 04:45 PM
Not sure what's up with Princeton (losing to an improved Lafayette at home) and UPenn had to go to overtime versus Georgetown. Harvard seems to be the class of the Ivies this year although there is a long way to go.

bulldog10jw
October 7th, 2023, 05:10 PM
So nice to see Yale come out of Hanover with a win. First time since 2010. Usually Yale finds a way to lose there, or is completely embarrassed in a blow out. Four turnovers by Dartmouth today was the difference.

Dartmouth is a very good team. They should perform well from here on out.

Four turnovers and that bad snap for a 14 yard loss when they were on the Yale 1 yard line that forced them to go for a FG to tie the game at 17.

Pard4Life
October 7th, 2023, 08:19 PM
Not sure what's up with Princeton (losing to an improved Lafayette at home) and UPenn had to go to overtime versus Georgetown. Harvard seems to be the class of the Ivies this year although there is a long way to go.

Lafayette has finally found something and the Curse did not get the upper hand this year.

bulldog10jw
October 7th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Lafayette has finally found something and the Curse did not get the upper hand this year.

Congrats on beating down the curse this year.

Ivytalk
October 7th, 2023, 10:05 PM
Harvard better not overlook Howard next week. They have an excellent RB in Williams, and they lost two competitive FBS games on the road. Could be a trap game for the Crimson.

bonarae
October 8th, 2023, 06:35 AM
Last OOC week for our football teams on Saturday.

Sacred Heart at Yale
Princeton at Brown
Dartmouth at Colgate
Howard at Harvard
Bucknell at Cornell
Penn at Columbia

My picks
Yale
Brown
Dartmouth
Harvard - toss-up likely
Cornell
Penn

NB: Massey for the toss-up game listed has a 34-24 Harvard score as the most likely.

NY Crusader 2010
October 8th, 2023, 06:44 AM
Yale 37 Sacred Heart 8
Brown 27 Princeton 24
Dartmouth 28 Colgate 20
Howard 28 Harvard 25
Bucknell 31 Cornell 28
Penn 19 Columbia 13

Pard4Life
October 8th, 2023, 11:09 AM
Congrats on beating down the curse this year.

The other way of beating the curse: I do not see Harvard on our schedule for at least the next three years.

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2023, 11:41 AM
Harvard better not overlook Howard next week. They have an excellent RB in Williams, and they lost two competitive FBS games on the road. Could be a trap game for the Crimson.

and Jaqueez Ezzard was at Howard before KC Keeler brought him to Sammy

Howard always seems to get a talent

Ivytalk
October 8th, 2023, 02:02 PM
Yale
Brown
Dartmouth
Howard (going with my head and not my heart here)
Cornell
Columbia

Go Green
October 8th, 2023, 03:35 PM
Four turnovers and that bad snap for a 14 yard loss when they were on the Yale 1 yard line that forced them to go for a FG to tie the game at 17.

And dropped interceptions. And DBs falling down. And completely unnecessary penalties.

Maybe against some teams you can make those types of mistakes and still win. But Yale isn't one of them... *sigh*

bulldog10jw
October 8th, 2023, 05:26 PM
And dropped interceptions. And DBs falling down. And completely unnecessary penalties.

Maybe against some teams you can make those types of mistakes and still win. But Yale isn't one of them... *sigh*

Dartmouth is in the same situation as Yale. Win the rest of your league games for at least a piece of the title. Lose one and there is almost no chance.

bonarae
October 14th, 2023, 01:15 AM
Meanwhile... bumping this for today's slate of games.

Pards Rule
October 14th, 2023, 06:49 AM
Philly Inquirer on preview of todays Penn vs Columbia game mentions first time in over 40 years, since 1982, Al Bagnoli will not be on either sideline for either Penn or Columbia in this matchup

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 07:48 AM
Philly Inquirer on preview of todays Penn vs Columbia game mentions first time in over 40 years, since 1982, Al Bagnoli will not be on either sideline for either Penn or Columbia in this matchup

The referees are breathing a sigh of relief

aceinthehole
October 14th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Yale hosts Sacred Heart today at noon.

This is the first in-state team to play at the Yale Bowl in 25 years, since 1998 (UConn). This is also the first time an in-state team other than UConn is playing at the Yale Bowl in 77 years, since 1946 (Coast Guard).

Next season, Central Connecticut will make their first-ever trip to play Yale at the Bowl.

Go Green
October 14th, 2023, 08:49 AM

Why was Bagnoli at the P-C game from 1982 to 1991? He was head coach at Union during that time...

Go Green
October 14th, 2023, 08:54 AM
Yale hosts Sacred Heart today at noon.

This is the first in-state team to play at the Yale Bowl in 25 years, since 1998 (UConn). This is also the first time an in-state team other than UConn is playing at the Yale Bowl in 77 years, since 1946 (Coast Guard).

Next season, Central Connecticut will make their first-ever trip to play Yale at the Bowl.

Ivy fans have been wondering for a while why Yale didn't seem interested in pursuing more games against their in-state rivals (other than UConn). While I'd expect Yale to win against SH and CCSU, I'd like to think that in-state rivalries are good for the game.

aceinthehole
October 14th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Ivy fans have been wondering for a while why Yale didn't seem interested in pursuing more games against their in-state rivals (other than UConn). While I'd expect Yale to win against SH and CCSU, I'd like to think that in-state rivalries are good for the game.

I'm a little surprised it took this long because SHU and CCSU have played many other Ivy teams in football for years. I'm also slightly disappointed that SHU will play Yale first, but happy to get the game next year.

Historically (and rightly so), Yale is a "national brand" that just happens to be located in CT. Even in basketball and other sports, they've played CCSU, SHU, QU and Hartford on limited occasions. D-III Trinity and Wesleyan are closer "peers" to them than any of us. They only exception seems to be Yale-Quinnipiac hockey. QU really played that well getting into the ECAC and becoming a national program.

Basically, Yale in a no-win situation playing other Connecticut programs. While the Bulldogs aren't a P5, major program, or national power, any losses to an in-state school not named UConn just isn't good news for them. These games are much better for us than Yale, with the exception that in football they are guaranteed a home game every time. In other sports, they are expected to play on the road against schools with mediocre facilities that aren't academic peers.

I think these are good games for both sides, but I image Yale still rather schedule HBCUs and Patriot League teams than SHU and CCSU. I can assure you if the Pios or Central wins a game, they won't be invited back.

CHIP72
October 14th, 2023, 12:58 PM
Columbia takes advantage of 1) a short field after a Penn INT and 2) a Quakers defense offside on a Lions' FG attempt that gave Columbia a 1st down, and the Lions take a 7-3 lead over the visitors from Philadelphia with a little more than 4 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

(For those of you with Verizon FiOS, this game is on SportsNet New York, Channel 96.)

CHIP72
October 14th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Penn scores on a 4th down QB sneak from within a foot of the goal line to take a 10-7 lead over Columbia with just over 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter.

CHIP72
October 14th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Columbia drives for a touchdown, scoring less than 30 seconds before halftime, to take a 14-10 lead over visiting Penn.

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 02:07 PM
Yale 31 Sacred Heart 3 Final

Should have been much closer. SHU shot themselves in the foot numerous times when they had a chance to close the gap.

Sader87
October 14th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Brown 28 Princeton 27 F

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 02:47 PM
Dartmouth 24 Colgate 24 - 4:30 left

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 03:02 PM
Bucknell 21 Cornell 13 - Final

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 03:04 PM
Dartmouth and Colgate headed to OT tied at 24

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Penn 17 Columbia 17 - 10 minutes left

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Colgate blocks a Dartmouth FG attempt in OT that would have tied the game and win 27-24

Ivytalk
October 14th, 2023, 03:28 PM
Harvard trounced Howard, 48-7. Big game at Princeton next week. The Crimson have not beaten Princeton since 2016. I think this is our year.

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Harvard trounced Howard, 48-7. Big game at Princeton next week. The Crimson have not beaten Princeton since 2016. I think this is our year.

So far, Harvard has been the only impressive team in the league..

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 03:35 PM
Penn 20 Columbia 17 - 3 minutes left

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2023, 03:41 PM
Penn 20 Columbia 17 - Final

CHIP72
October 14th, 2023, 03:43 PM
Penn kicks a late FG to break a 17-17 tie, stuffs Columbia on the ensuing possession and then runs out the clock to secure a 20-17 win in upper Manhattan.

Ivytalk
October 14th, 2023, 03:44 PM
Penn holds on. That game in New Haven next week looks big.

Go...gate
October 14th, 2023, 04:07 PM
Tough loss for Princeton.

bonarae
October 14th, 2023, 05:48 PM
First all-Ivy week next Saturday:

Penn at Yale
Harvard at Princeton
Brown at Cornell
Columbia at Dartmouth

My picks:
Penn
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth

Ivytalk
October 14th, 2023, 08:50 PM
Yale
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2023, 10:47 PM
Harvard top 5

caribbeanhen
October 15th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Certainly wasn’t a Trap Pond game

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Certainly wasn’t a Trap Pond game

ISWYDT! That’s Sussex County code…xsmiley_wix

ngineer
October 15th, 2023, 08:57 PM

This could be your 'trap' game. Tiggers are obviously not having the season they anticipated and, yet, on paper seem talented. Very close losses. Good luck! Get us on your schedule in about three years. We should be ready by then!xsmiley_wix

bonarae
October 20th, 2023, 07:25 PM
McCorkle is now the permanent Dartmouth HC. At least one school has pulled out of the Coaching Carousel for 2023-2024.

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2023, 02:15 PM
Yale loses to Penn 27-17. Horrendous defense, inconsistent offense. One year after an Ivy Championship, with most of the players on offense and several on defense returning, Yale is reduced to the roll of spoiler.

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2023, 03:15 PM
Princeton 21 Harvard 14 - 1:28 left

Harvard ball at their own 20

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2023, 03:20 PM
Princeton with the INT. They just have to run out the clock.

Final: Princeton 21 Harvard 14

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2023, 04:28 PM
Is the season setting up for the possibility of two loss teams sharing the title. Only three league games played and everyone has at least one loss.

Of the following teams with one loss, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, Cornell, or Dartmouth, who could win out? It won't be easy for any of them.

Next week:

Brown at Penn
Princeton at Cornell
Dartmouth at Harvard

bonarae
October 21st, 2023, 04:35 PM
Alright, with the Harvard L, this is anyone's game among the 5 now... xsighx

Penn
Princeton
Harvard (at home, but 2 Ls in a row? xconfusedx)
Yale (omitted in previous post)

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2023, 04:38 PM
Alright, with the Harvard L, this is anyone's game among the 5 now... xsighx

Penn
Princeton
Harvard (at home, but 2 Ls in a row? xconfusedx)
Yale (omitted in previous post)

Yale is at Columbia next week. Yale already has two losses and Columbia three which is why I didn't mention them.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2023, 05:00 AM
Yale is at Columbia next week. Yale already has two losses and Columbia three which is why I didn't mention them.

Correction: Columbia at Yale next week

Ivytalk
October 22nd, 2023, 06:04 PM
Penn
Cornell
Harvard
Yale

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 07:17 PM
Brown has a pretty decent offense.

Brown 20 Penn 10 - 3 minutes until halftime

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 07:23 PM
Which school is best at embarrassing itself with thousands and thousands of empty seats in a large stadium. Penn or Yale.

caribbeanhen
October 27th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Brown has a pretty decent offense.

Brown 20 Penn 10 - 3 minutes until halftime

the QB is good

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Which school is best at embarrassing itself with thousands and thousands of empty seats in a large stadium. Penn or Yale.

It's sad to see. With that said, I'm not sure if Temple's and Penn's ACTUAL (real, not some fabricated published figure) combined attendance for the entire year would fill Franklin Field. College football in the City of Brotherly Love is struggling mightily to garner even a modest level of interest/support.

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 07:29 PM
That might be the easiest TD of the year for Penn. No one within 10 yards of the receiver. Or even looking at him.

Brown 20 Penn 17 - 40 seconds until halftime

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 07:36 PM
It's sad to see. With that said, I'm not sure if Temple's and Penn's ACTUAL (real, not some fabricated published figure) combined attendance for the entire year would fill Franklin Field. College football in the City of Brotherly Love is struggling mightily to garner even a modest level of interest/support.

Even 10-15 years ago, the visitor's side of the Bowl would have more fans than the total attendance now. Some time in the last few years Yale's attendance has dropped off a cliff. And that's with 3 championships in the last 5 years.

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 08:02 PM
Brown 27 Penn 17 - early 3rd

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 08:21 PM
Brown 30 Penn 17 - under 2 minutes left in the third.

Brown may regret not getting a touchdown there with a first and goal and all the momentum on their side.

Laker
October 27th, 2023, 08:34 PM
History and Traditions - University of Pennsylvania Athletics (pennathletics.com) (https://pennathletics.com/sports/2016/6/24/_131485207643959939.aspx)

First time that I've heard of throwing toast at the end of the third quarter at Penn. What other interesting traditions does the Ivy League have?

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 08:41 PM
History and Traditions - University of Pennsylvania Athletics (pennathletics.com) (https://pennathletics.com/sports/2016/6/24/_131485207643959939.aspx)

First time that I've heard of throwing toast at the end of the third quarter at Penn. What other interesting traditions does the Ivy League have?

I went to several Yale games at Franklin Field back in the day. I never saw that or even heard about it.

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 08:42 PM
Brown 30 Penn 24 - 9 minutes left

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2023, 09:07 PM
Brown with a huge INT as Penn was deep in Bear territory! Wow!

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 09:08 PM
Brown with the INT. Under a minute left. Brown up six. Foolish Brown celebration penalty.

Penn has all their time outs.

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 09:09 PM
43 seconds left. Penn will get the ball back.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2023, 09:10 PM
Brown purposely takes a safety to run some clock and utilize the free kick to pin Penn further back.

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2023, 09:17 PM
Brown sacks the Penn QB on the last play.

Final - Brown 30 Penn 26

CHIP72
October 27th, 2023, 09:20 PM
I went to several Yale games at Franklin Field back in the day. I never saw that or even heard about it.

Penn has had “the toast to Penn” for awhile now (not sure when it started though).

CHIP72
October 27th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Only watched bits and pieces of the game, but Penn had some really bad interceptions.

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2023, 09:23 PM
Glad Brown held on. Strange things have happened late to visiting Ivy teams at Franklin Field over the years, often involving the zebras.
Puck Fenn!

Go...gate
October 28th, 2023, 12:10 AM
Nice win for the Bruins!

NY Crusader 2010
October 28th, 2023, 05:36 AM
Forgot this game was on, probably because of the WS. But good for Brown. They're an Ivy team I like to see be competitive with the top teams. The Holy Cross-Brown Columbus Day rivalry was a lot of fun when we played like an 8-game series from 2006-2013. All the games were the same weekend. Made for good memories while in college too. Holy Cross was the rare school that had a 4-day weekend as opposed to just 3. So, it was always Brown on Saturday (either at home or quick trip down 146) and then 3 days of an empty campus and no homework. We'd just be relaxing in the evening watching postseason baseball. And there'd be a jayvee game between the two of us Sunday morning back when that was still a thing.

For whatever reason, HC now gives a WHOLE WEEK for Columbus / Indigenous People's Day.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 12:23 PM
Yale 21 Columbia 0 at the half.

Princeton- Cornell just starting in what is certainly Cornell's biggest game in years.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Yale 28 Columbia 0 - early 4th quarter

Princeton 7 Cornell 3 - 2:00 until halftime

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 01:22 PM
Princeton 14 Cornell 3 at the half

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 01:54 PM
Yale 35 Columbia 7 - Final

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 03:03 PM
Princeton 14 Cornell 3 - Final

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 03:31 PM
Harvard leads Dartmouth 7-0 with 5 minutes left in the first quarter.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 03:50 PM
Harvard 7 Dartmouth 3 - end of the 1st quarter

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Two picks thrown by DePrima. Harvard offense seems off again this week.

Go...gate
October 28th, 2023, 05:02 PM
Princeton 14 Cornell 3 - Final

Nice job by the Tigers. Tough one next Friday night in Hanover.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Harvard 7 Dartmouth 6 - 6 minutes left in the 3rd

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Harvard 14 Dartmouth 6 - just starting the 4th quarter

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2023, 06:09 PM
Harvard 17 Dartmouth 6 - 3:30 left

This one is probably over. Dartmouth hasn't shown anything on offense.

bonarae
October 28th, 2023, 06:23 PM
Week 7 over for the Ivy League.

Harvard beats Dartmouth 17-9.

bonarae
October 28th, 2023, 06:28 PM
Week 8 games:

Princeton at Dartmouth - not sure what to think of this ATM.
Yale at Brown
Harvard at Columbia
Cornell at Penn

My picks:
Princeton - toss-up?
Yale
Harvard
Penn

Have you all noticed that many Ivy games have been low-to-average scoring this season? xchinscratchx

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2023, 06:28 PM
Harvard got its running game going, fortunately. Tied with Princeton for the league lead. Columbia next week.

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2023, 07:13 PM
Next week:
Princeton
Brown (hunch)
Harvard
Penn

bonarae
November 1st, 2023, 05:14 AM
Lost in the articles of NCAA.com (not yet posted here even by myself) is a story of how two African-American QBs in the Ivies faced each other in 1973 for the League's first occurrence of both opposing teams' starting QBs who were African-American.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-10-28/breaking-barriers-how-two-black-quarterbacks-made-ivy-league-history-50-years-ago

NY Crusader 2010
November 1st, 2023, 12:44 PM
Dartmouth 9 Princeton 7
Brown 35 Yale 28
Harvard 30 Columbia 3
Penn 27 Cornell 15

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2023, 12:50 PM
Dartmouth 9 Princeton 7
Brown 35 Yale 28
Harvard 30 Columbia 3
Penn 27 Cornell 15

That Dartmouth-Princeton final score looks about right, but I’d flip the teams. Princeton has a stingy D. The only team that’s been able to solve it is Brown.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 08:00 PM
Dartmouth 17 Princeton 14 - midway through the 3rd

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 08:08 PM
Princeton scores on a long pass that Dartmouth decided not to cover.

Princeton 21 Dartmouth 17 - 6 minutes left in the 3rd

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 08:20 PM
Dartmouth settles for a FG after moving the ball to the Princeton 20

Princeton 21 Dartmouth 20- late 3rd

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 08:45 PM
Dartmouth just blew a possible 90 yard TD. The receiver was 10 yards clear but, unfortunately, the pass hit him in the hands.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 3rd, 2023, 08:52 PM
Dartmouth returns a blocked FG for a TD.....but it's negated by a block in the back penalty.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 08:58 PM
Dartmouth with a 4th and 1 at the Princeton 30.

1:30 left needing a FG to win.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 08:59 PM
FG good.

Dartmouth 23 Princeton 21 - 1:29 left.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2023, 09:03 PM
FG good.

Dartmouth 23 Princeton 21 - 1:29 left.

Does that kid have NFL potential? 4th 47+ FG this year, as a freshman?!

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2023, 09:05 PM
Ball game! Green beat Orange.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 3rd, 2023, 09:06 PM
Dartmouth with a great pass break up on 4th and 2! The Big Green will win!

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 09:06 PM
Princeton fails on 4th and 2.

Dartmouth in victory formation. 34 seconds left.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 09:10 PM
Princeton had to work hard to lose this game. Four turnovers and a blocked FG attempt which led to Dartmouth's winning FG.

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2023, 09:39 PM
Harvard controls its own destiny at this point. They just need to win out. Six two-loss teams behind them now! What a wild race for the Ivy title!

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 09:53 PM
Harvard controls its own destiny at this point. They just need to win out. Six two-loss teams behind them now! What a wild race for the Ivy title!

Yale and Penn also control their own destiny, although certainly not for an outright title like Harvard.

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2023, 10:09 PM
Yale and Penn also control their own destiny, although certainly not for an outright title like Harvard.
If Columbia upsets Harvard tomorrow, there could be five two-loss teams with two weeks to go.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2023, 10:15 PM
If Columbia upsets Harvard tomorrow, there could be five two-loss teams with two weeks to go.

Was it last year that there was speculation that there could be a seven way tie?

Go Green
November 3rd, 2023, 10:35 PM
Does that kid have NFL potential? 4th 47+ FG this year, as a freshman?!

Ohio State was looking at him. But did not offer him.

bonarae
November 4th, 2023, 12:57 AM

Hmm, are there mathematical scenarios to break the tie if any of these five will remain tied for first when the season ends?

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2023, 01:01 AM
Hmm, are there mathematical scenarios to break the tie if any of these five will remain tied for first when the season ends?

No. The league awards co-championships

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2023, 02:15 PM
Yale 36 Brown 17 - final

A great game from the Yale defense. Brown's only second half score was an INT returned for a touchdown.

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2023, 02:35 PM
Harvard 38 Columbia 24 - final

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2023, 02:37 PM
Penn leads Cornell 23-8 with 6 minutes left

Now a final

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2023, 03:08 PM
Harvard can clinch at least a share of the Ivy title with a win over Penn next week.

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2023, 03:18 PM
Harvard can clinch at least a share of the Ivy title with a win over Penn next week.

Yale at Princeton next week has now become basically an elimination game.

bonarae
November 4th, 2023, 06:33 PM
After next week, three or four teams may still be in the running for the Ivy title.

Games:
Yale at Princeton
Brown at Columbia
Penn at Harvard
Cornell at Dartmouth

My picks:
Yale
Brown
Harvard
Dartmouth

Have you all ever wondered why Ivy games have been low-scoring affairs this season? xchinscratchx (No team breached 35 and up in Ivy conference games so far this season.)

bulldog10jw
November 4th, 2023, 06:47 PM
Have you all ever wondered why Ivy games have been low-scoring affairs this season? xchinscratchx (No team breached 35 and up in Ivy conference games so far this season.)

Both Yale and Harvard did today.

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2023, 10:08 PM
Princeton in a close one.
Brown
Harvard
Dartmouth

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 07:46 AM
Princeton 23 Yale 17
Brown 33 Columbia 15
Harvard 24 Penn 21
Dartmouth 28 Cornell 7

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2023, 08:59 PM
Fun fact: the last time the Ivy champion had 2 league losses was in 1982, when Harvard, Penn, and Dartmouth tied for the title with 5-2 league records.

Go Green
November 6th, 2023, 04:21 AM
Fun fact: the last time the Ivy champion had 2 league losses was in 1982, when Harvard, Penn, and Dartmouth tied for the title with 5-2 league records.

Dartmouth went 0-3 out of conference to go 5-5 overall that year. :)

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Yale at Princeton this Saturday is on ESPNU at noon

Son of Eli
November 6th, 2023, 05:57 PM
There’s a good chance the Big Three (HYP) Champ will also be Ivy League Co-Champ. In that case the Big Three (HYP) will serve as the unofficial tie breaker.

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Dartmouth has the easiest path to a share of the title if Harvard loses at least one of its last two games.

Go Green
November 6th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Dartmouth has the easiest path to a share of the title if Harvard loses at least one of its last two games.

GO PENN!
GO YALE!!!

:)

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2023, 07:06 PM

Easiest, but still not easy.

Son of Eli
November 6th, 2023, 07:48 PM
Tremendous parity in the league this year. From here on out any team, other than Columbia, has a good chance of winning on any given Saturday. Columbia is not in any game of significance for the remainder of the season, so the title is really up for grabs.

I don’t think Harvard is going to win both of the next two games on the road. I don’t think they’ll lose both either. I’ll predict it will be a three way championship, but I won’t hazard to say which three teams, other than two of them will be Harvard and Dartmouth. The other will be either Yale, Princeton or Penn. One of those three will win both of their remaining games.

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2023, 08:40 PM
Tremendous parity in the league this year. From here on out any team, other than Columbia, has a good chance of winning on any given Saturday. Columbia is not in any game of significance for the remainder of the season, so the title is really up for grabs.

I don’t think Harvard is going to win both of the next two games on the road. I don’t think they’ll lose both either. I’ll predict it will be a three way championship, but I won’t hazard to say which three teams, other than two of them will be Harvard and Dartmouth. The other will be either Yale, Princeton or Penn. One of those three will win both of their remaining games.

Isn't Harvard at home this week?

bonarae
November 7th, 2023, 12:47 AM
Isn't Harvard at home this week?

Yes, the Crimson are at home, playing the Quackers.

Three-way tie for the title is very realistic at this point.

Go Green
November 7th, 2023, 07:16 AM
Easiest, but still not easy.

The only way it would be easier would be if Columbia was one of the two remaining Dartmouth opponents.

Dartmouth will be expected to win both games. Sure, we have to take care of business. But of the remaining teams with a chance of the title, Dartmouth has the best chance to go 2-0 the next two weeks.

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2023, 07:35 AM
The only way it would be easier would be if Columbia was one of the two remaining Dartmouth opponents.

Dartmouth will be expected to win both games. Sure, we have to take care of business. But of the remaining teams with a chance of the title, Dartmouth has the best chance to go 2-0 the next two weeks.

Go, Cornell!
Go, Brown!
😁

bulldog10jw
November 7th, 2023, 08:01 AM

True, which is why they have the easiest path of the two loss teams. Still, I would be surprised if both games aren't close going into the fourth quarter.

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Good to see a bit of genteel Ivy League smack heating up in here, as we head into the final two weeks.

Oh, and Puck Fenn!:D

bulldog10jw
November 7th, 2023, 03:38 PM
Good to see a bit of genteel Ivy League smack heating up in here, as we head into the final two weeks.

Oh, and Puck Fenn!:D

Genteel because our teams won over the weekend. xsmiley_wix

Son of Eli
November 7th, 2023, 03:45 PM
Yes, the Crimson are at home, playing the Quackers.

Three-way tie for the title is very realistic at this point.

I still don’t think Harvard beats both Penn and Yale.

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 12:39 PM
Yale 7 Princeton 7 at the half. While I won't say Yale has dominated, a short Yale punt from their end zone and a crucial fumble at the Princeton 30 have really hurt. The season is on the line for both teams in the second half.

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Yale 36 Princeton 28 - Final in double OT

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Harvard and Penn tied at 20.

7 seconds left. Penn with a 4th and 4 at the Harvard 42

Now in overtime

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 03:24 PM
Penn kicks a FG in the first OT

23-20

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 03:30 PM
Harvard has a 4th and goal at the Penn 1 yard line trailing 23-20

They decide to kick the FG. 23-23 going to the second OT

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Harvard wins it 25-23 and clinches at least a share of the title.

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 03:57 PM
Dartmouth 30 Cornell 14 - Final
Brown 21 Columbia 14 - Final

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Was a thriller in Allston today as Harvard finished undefeated at home. Our kicking game almost cost us the game, but Penn missed a couple as well. A three way tie is still possible if Yale beats Harvard in The Game and Dartmouth holds serve against Brown. If Yale wins and Dartmouth loses, Harvard and Yale have a two-way tie.

Should be a slobberknocker in New Haven next week!

Go Green
November 11th, 2023, 04:24 PM
A shame Penn couldn't pull it off...

GO YALE!