PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Ivy League Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2023, 04:34 PM
I think Coach Murphy will retire if Harvard beats Yale next week and the Crimson win the title outright. Even if Harvard ends up with just a share of the title, Murph might bow out. What does he have left to prove? Ten Ivy titles in 29 seasons ain’t hay.

CHIP72
November 11th, 2023, 04:46 PM
A shame Penn couldn't pull it off...

Ugh, tough loss. Would have been an excellent win for the Quakers had they pulled it off.

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 04:55 PM
I think Coach Murphy will retire if Harvard beats Yale next week and the Crimson win the title outright. Even if Harvard ends up with just a share of the title, Murph might bow out. What does he have left to prove? Ten Ivy titles in 29 seasons ain’t hay.

How old is Murph?

bonarae
November 11th, 2023, 04:57 PM

Rumors swirling about it at the Voy board? Come on, it’s about time now. We’ll see what road or path AD McDermott and company will take for the next Harvard football coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2023, 05:36 PM
How old is Murph?
Murph is 67. How old was Carm Cozza when he stepped down?

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2023, 05:44 PM

66, I think.

bonarae
November 12th, 2023, 01:24 AM
Final Week of the Ivy Season is upon us! xhurrayx

Dartmouth at Brown
Harvard at Yale
Princeton at Penn
Columbia at Cornell

Ties will be there no matter what. xsighx

Dartmouth
Harvard
Penn
Cornell

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2023, 06:00 AM
My picks:

Brown
Harvard (win it all for Murph!)
Penn
Cornell

Go Green
November 12th, 2023, 02:51 PM

And he's now the oldest head coach to win an Ivy Football title (Teevens was oldest two years ago).

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2023, 03:08 PM
And he's now the oldest head coach to win an Ivy Football title (Teevens was oldest two years ago).
With age comes wisdom! And maybe a few trophies.:)

bulldog10jw
November 13th, 2023, 01:13 PM
A post on the Yale blog states that as of this morning 40,000 tickets have been sold for the game. Oops. THE GAME.

Go Green
November 13th, 2023, 01:54 PM
I'd imagine that some of those people will be Dartmouth fans cheering at the top of their lungs for Yale. :)

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2023, 02:43 PM
I'd imagine that some of those people will be Dartmouth fans cheering at the top of their lungs for Yale. :)

You mean the ones who get lost on the way to Providence?:D

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Dartmouth 24 Brown 22
Yale 27 Harvard 13
Princeton 14 Penn 10
Columbia 7 Cornell 3

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2023, 02:36 PM
I hope Yale, New Haven, and West Haven are preparing for the possibility of demonstrations and protests on Saturday. No one thought about the possibility in 2019. In 2023 the thought that something may be planned is obvious.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2023, 09:11 PM
I hope Yale, New Haven, and West Haven are preparing for the possibility of demonstrations and protests on Saturday. No one thought about the possibility in 2019. In 2023 the thought that something may be planned is obvious.

Has Yale had any major protests yet? I know Harvard has. Harvard and Columbia seem to have had the worst of it among the Ivy schools.

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2023, 10:03 PM
Harvard and Columbia seem to have had the worst of it among the Ivy schools.

Don't forget Cornell. As for Yale, I'm worried that the potential protesters may have been keeping their powder dry knowing there will be a big stage coming up.

Go Green
November 17th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Has Yale had any major protests yet? I know Harvard has. Harvard and Columbia seem to have had the worst of it among the Ivy schools.

Penn has definitely had issues as well...

NY Crusader 2010
November 17th, 2023, 08:09 AM
Maybe they will all storm the field dressed like Osama Bin Laden. This is where we're at in American now. Sad!

And I'm all for peaceful protest. I can sympathize with both pro-Israel and pro-Palestine protesters to some extent. It's easier to understand others when you put yourselves in their shoes (i.e. imagine if it was YOUR country). But I expect nothing short of total lunacy coming from some of these Ivy students, no offense.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2023, 09:24 PM
Don't forget Cornell. As for Yale, I'm worried that the potential protesters may have been keeping their powder dry knowing there will be a big stage coming up.

We’ll keep our fingers crossed. I just hope for a safe and competitive Game tomorrow.

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Yale 23 Harvard 18 - Final

Go Green
November 18th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Yale 23 Harvard 18 - Final

Boola Boola!!

With Dartmouth trashing Brown, the Ivy title gets split three ways (Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale). Dartmouth maintains the overall lead in football titles with number 23.

Somewhere up in heaven, Buddy Teevens is smiling!!!!

Enjoy the celebrations, everyone!!

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Congratulations to Yale and Dartmouth. Harvard got to celebrate last week.

Did you read about that Penn-Princeton game? Penn outgained Princeton 500 to 280, but lost the game by 7. Penn lost 7 turnovers to the Tigers’ 0. Ouch.

NY Crusader 2010
November 18th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Boola Boola!!

With Dartmouth trashing Brown, the Ivy title gets split three ways (Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale). Dartmouth maintains the overall lead in football titles with number 23.

Bowl game at Fenway Park v. Holy Cross?

bonarae
November 18th, 2023, 06:09 PM
Bowl game at Fenway Park v. Holy Cross?

If Holy Cross is off to the Road to Frisco (slim to 33% chance), not gonna happen.

Go Green
November 18th, 2023, 06:18 PM
Did you read about that Penn-Princeton game? Penn outgained Princeton 500 to 280, but lost the game by 7. Penn lost 7 turnovers to the Tigers’ 0. Ouch.

Dartmouth's win over Princeton a few weeks back was along those lines (but not as egregious as that).

Son of Eli
November 18th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Boola Boola!!

it’s 21, not 23. But congrats.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ivy_League_football_champions

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2023, 01:11 PM
From today's NH Register. I guess there were minor protests.

Fans stormed the field after the game. But unlike past years, there were no protests on the field and the game went on uninterrupted.

There were pro-Palestine protesters in the Yale stands behind the scoreboard side end zone. The protesters began holding signs and chanting "ceasefire now" at halftime and into the second half before staging a walk out in the third quarter. Various spectators among the Harvard crowd waved Palestinian flags as well.

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/yale-harvard-the-game-ivy-league-18500794.php

bonarae
November 19th, 2023, 08:02 PM
Archer is out at Cornell. Mercifully gone at last as we have clamored for his ouster even before COVID struck.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2023, 08:22 PM
Archer is out at Cornell. Mercifully gone at last as we have clamored for his ouster even before COVID struck.

Cornell has been a tough place to win football games historically, at least since the Ivy League formalized. Only Columbia has won fewer championships. And yet the hockey and lacrosse programs are top notch.

ngineer
November 19th, 2023, 09:12 PM
Cornell has been a tough place to win football games historically, at least since the Ivy League formalized. Only Columbia has won fewer championships. And yet the hockey and lacrosse programs are top notch.

Don't forget their wrestling...Annual top 10, with some forays into top 3.

Go Green
November 20th, 2023, 05:27 AM
By all accounts, everyone liked Archer. But... yeah. He had plenty of time to produce a winner, and did not do so.

I think Cornell should be doing better in football than they actually are. Part of the story is lack of institutional support. If that ever changes, then look out...

Until then, we will see who's next for the Big Red.

NY Crusader 2010
November 20th, 2023, 06:00 AM
Don't forget their wrestling...Annual top 10, with some forays into top 3.

And they had a really nice run in Men's Basketball while I was in college. Went to the Sweet 16 one year.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2023, 07:10 AM

Who’s “we”? I didn’t realize that you were a secret Cornell fan. Is Ed Marinaro on the board somewhere?xsmiley_wix

bonarae
November 20th, 2023, 07:15 AM
Oh sorry, "we" in this case are the Ivy fans collectively on AGS. I remember you mentioning that Archer's seat was warm at one point in a season before COVID...

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2023, 08:12 AM
All kidding aside, I don’t envy Archer’s successor. Of all the Ivy League schools, using the usual metrics (stadium, other facilities, alumni support, strength and tradition of program, fan base), only Brown is a tougher sell than Cornell. Columbia has its negatives, but at least it has a decent stadium in a big city.

Speaking of Brown, it drew fewer than 2,000 fans to the Dartmouth game on Saturday. Probably more than half of them rooted for the Big Zucchini.

Go Green
November 20th, 2023, 08:48 AM
All kidding aside, I don’t envy Archer’s successor. Of all the Ivy League schools, using the usual metrics (stadium, other facilities, alumni support, strength and tradition of program, fan base), only Brown is a tougher sell than Cornell. Columbia has its negatives, but at least it has a decent stadium in a big city.

Columbia's stadium itself is terrific. But the fact that it's a 30 minute bus ride from campus has long been considered a huge negative for Columbia...

Son of Eli
November 20th, 2023, 09:19 AM
If I were Cornell I’d be giving a good look at Dan Swanstrom, the current OC at Penn and former Ithaca College Head Coach.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2023, 09:29 AM
The proverbial "national search"... when was the last Ivy head coach not hired from the immediate Ivy family? Murphy?

Imagine the feigned outcry if Cornell picked up a coach from Kennesaw State.

Son of Eli
November 20th, 2023, 09:36 AM
The proverbial "national search"... when was the last Ivy head coach not hired from the immediate Ivy family? Murphy?

Imagine the feigned outcry if Cornell picked up a coach from Kennesaw State.

Former Yale Head Coach’s Jack Siedlecki and Tom Williams were both from outside the Ivy League and came after Murphy, but point taken.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2023, 09:37 AM
Columbia's stadium itself is terrific. But the fact that it's a 30 minute bus ride from campus has long been considered a huge negative for Columbia...

The neighborhood surrounding The Stadium is pretty bustling but not the demographic that cares one iota about college football. I didn’t know the University itself as a 30 minute bus ride

Son of Eli
November 20th, 2023, 09:39 AM
Former Yale Head Coach’s Jack Siedlecki and Tom Williams were both from outside the Ivy League and came after Murphy, but point taken.

Also Norries Wilson at Columbia.

Go Green
November 20th, 2023, 10:39 AM
Kent Austin at Cornell (Archer's predecessor) also did not have Ivy ties.

dbackjon
November 20th, 2023, 11:16 AM
Season over

/Thread

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Season over

/Thread

No more games, but the postseason awards, part of the 2023 season are still to come.

dbackjon
November 20th, 2023, 11:25 AM
No more games, but the postseason awards, part of the 2023 season are still to come.

Ok - we can keep it open until then!

Congrats on the 1/3 Title!

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Ok - we can keep it open until then!

Congrats on the 1/3 Title!
Hey, 1/3 Title for us, too! And 1/3 for the Big Zucchini!

How’s that softball thing going?

dbackjon
November 20th, 2023, 03:22 PM
Hey, 1/3 Title for us, too! And 1/3 for the Big Zucchini!

How’s that softball thing going?

A third of a congrats :)

Going good still. Fall season is over. Next play in January in Las Vegas. We took third in the tournament in Hawai'i last month.

Go Green
November 21st, 2023, 09:07 AM
Jake Novak (who runs the Columbia Football Blog) is reporting that the Columbia team was informed that interim HC Mark Fabish will not be returning.

He's rarely wrong...

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2023, 10:42 AM
Jake Novak (who runs the Columbia Football Blog) is reporting that the Columbia team was informed that interim HC Mark Fabish will not be returning.

He's rarely wrong...

Maybe Bagnoli can come back. I miss watching him work the refs.

Go Green
November 21st, 2023, 01:35 PM
All Ivy teams posted.

Ivy League Announces Football All-Ivy, Rookie of the Year & Coach of the Year - Ivy League (https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/11/21/ivy-league-announces-football-all-ivy-rookie-of-the-year-coach-of-the-year.aspx)

Dartmouth's Sammy McCorkle gets Coach of the Year. Well-deserved for many reasons.

While it looked like Dartmouth kicker Owen Zalc would be a runaway Rookie of the Year winner, Penn's Malachi Hosley overtook him. And Zalc played just FINE in the final few games. Both freshmen got first-team All Ivy.

Player of the Year nominees will be named next week. My predictions are Nolan Grooms and Shane McLaughlin for offense and Ozzie Nichols and Thor Griffith for defense.

bulldog10jw
November 29th, 2023, 02:35 PM
https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/11/28/football-grooms-rockett-looes-slackman-named-2023-bushnell-cup-finalists.aspx

Grooms, Rockett, Looes, Slackman Named 2023 Bushnell Cup Finalists

PRINCETON, N.J. & IRVING, Texas (Nov. 28, 2023) – Continuing a partnership that began in 2010, the National Football Foundation (NFF) and the Ivy League will co-host the Asa S. Bushnell Cup announcement, presented by Bruin Capital, on Dec. 11 at the famed New York Athletic Club overlooking Central Park.

Four Ivy finalists will travel to New York City for the press conference and reception where the Asa S. Bushnell Cup will be presented to the Ivy League Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year. The event is set to begin at 12:30 p.m. ET with doors opening at noon. Business attire is required. For information on attending, please email Debbie Okle at [email protected].

Brown senior wide receiver Wes Rockett and Yale senior quarterback Nolan Grooms are the Offensive Player of the Year finalists, while Dartmouth fifth year defensive lineman Charles Looes and Penn senior defensive lineman Joey Slackman are the Defensive Player of the Year finalists.

bulldog10jw
December 1st, 2023, 11:22 AM
Former Harvard assistant and current Union Head Coach Jon Poppe to be named Columbia's Head Coach on Sunday, per the Columbia athletic blog.

Son of Eli
December 1st, 2023, 12:28 PM
Former Harvard assistant and current Union Head Coach Jon Poppe to be named Columbia's Head Coach on Sunday, per the Columbia athletic blog.

Bagnoli coached at Union too. Poppe had an outstanding season this year as HC of Union. Plus he probably knows how to recruit “Ivy style” given his tenure as an asst at Harvard. I think it’s a good hire.

Pressure is now on Cornell to keep up with Dartmouth and Columbia’s hires. They have set a high bar.

Go Green
December 1st, 2023, 01:02 PM
Columbia is a tough place to coach. Can't help but wonder if he was better off waiting a few more years for Murphy to retire and then get a shot at the Harvard job.

bulldog10jw
December 1st, 2023, 01:13 PM
Columbia is a tough place to coach. Can't help but wonder if he was better off waiting a few more years for Murphy to retire and then get a shot at the Harvard job.

Some coaches have it in their contract that if an opening at a certain school becomes available they can void the contract. Or at least make inquiries.
Maybe he can try for the Harvard job eventually. Depends, I would think, on when Murph retires.

Ivytalk
December 1st, 2023, 09:25 PM
Tim Murphy is now 67 and has won 200 games at Harvard as well as 10 Ivy titles. He could retire now and go out on a high note. But I guess he just loves what he’s doing, and nobody is forcing him out. The great Carmen Cozza was 66 when he stepped down as Yale’s head coach after winning 10 Ivy titles, but his last 7 seasons were below par.

bulldog10jw
December 1st, 2023, 10:26 PM
Tim Murphy is now 67 and has won 200 games at Harvard as well as 10 Ivy titles. He could retire now and go out on a high note. But I guess he just loves what he’s doing, and nobody is forcing him out. The great Carmen Cozza was 66 when he stepped down as Yale’s head coach after winning 10 Ivy titles, but his last 7 seasons were below par.

Many thought Carm should have stepped down sooner than he did. The feeling was he couldn't recruit the studs like in the sixties and seventies. The Giamatti de-emphasis speech hurt in the eighties, but was no excuse for the nineties. Plus Carm looked old at 66. Murph does not. I should point out though, Jack Siedlecki's title in 1999 was with Carm's recruits.

Murphy still doesn't seem to have trouble recruiting great players. The Harvard brand doesn't hurt if you put in the effort, but Tim is just a great coach and will retire on his own terms.

Son of Eli
December 7th, 2023, 12:38 PM
If I were Cornell I’d be giving a good look at Dan Swanstrom, the current OC at Penn and former Ithaca College Head Coach.

Nailed it! Dan Swantstrom announced as new Cornell coach.

https://pennathletics.com/news/2023/12/7/cornell-hires-dan-swanstrom-as-head-football-coach.aspx

bulldog10jw
December 7th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Nailed it! Dan Swantstrom announced as new Cornell coach.

https://pennathletics.com/news/2023/12/7/cornell-hires-dan-swanstrom-as-head-football-coach.aspx

Great call, SOE

bulldog10jw
December 11th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Grooms, Slackman Named Players of the Year, Bushnell Cup Recipients

https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/12/11/football-grooms-slackman-named-players-of-the-year-bushnell-cup-recipients.aspx

Yale senior quarterback Nolan Grooms and Penn senior defensive lineman Joey Slackman were announced as the Asa S. Bushnell Cup recipients Monday afternoon at a press conference at the famed New York Athletic Club. The reception was sponsored by the Bruin Capital and cohosted by the National Football Foundation.

For the second consecutive year, Grooms was named Offensive Player of the Year – making him the sixth ever student-athlete to earn the Bushnell Cup twice– while Slackman was voted Defensive Player of the year.