PDA

View Full Version : #3 Montana State Bobcats @ #1 South Dakota State Jackrabbits

SeattleCat
September 7th, 2023, 06:23 PM
6pm Cst in Brookings, SD.

This game deserves it's own thread. All eyes will be on this one.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2023, 07:31 PM
I like SDSU to win but I don't think it'll be by the margin it was in last year's semis. I think Montana St comes in with the emotional edge due to the way that game went down and they're going to play more scrappy to keep themselves in it. Glad it's a later kickoff so I can watch it.

Chalupa Batman
September 7th, 2023, 07:56 PM
I like SDSU to win but I don't think it'll be by the margin it was in last year's semis. I think Montana St comes in with the emotional edge due to the way that game went down and they're going to play more scrappy to keep themselves in it. Glad it's a later kickoff so I can watch it.

I pretty much agree with this. Last year SDSU came in with the chip on their shoulder after Holy Cross ran all over them and alot of people assumed MSU was going to run for even more yards. And the Jacks only had a week to stew over that, the Bobcats have been stewing over the loss for 9 months. Bobcat offense puts on a much better performance, but unfortunately for them their defense will still be outmatched and will have very little success slowing down SDSU. SDSU wins 38-27.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 8th, 2023, 05:55 AM
SDSU wins in a blowout

RahRahRabbits
September 8th, 2023, 09:58 AM
I will be in the seats for this one. It's going to be a packed house with what should be a raucous, playoff-like crowd. I know a few of you have a crazy crowd every week... we're getting there... but have a lot of Midwest-nice, quiet, and conservative fan base to get to loosen up a bit. Looks like there's a decent number of Bobcat fans making the trek, but I still don't think they'll make up a significant portion of the crowd.

It's also a bowl game! It's our annual Beef Bowl - a game to honor our agricultural roots as a land grant institution, specifically the beef industry this week. They auction off a market steer at the game - years ago, they used to actually bring the steer onto the field during halftime. I miss those days... but the football is sure better now.

I expect a good, hard fought game. As others have said, and is completely obvious anyways, the Bobcats are coming in with a major chip on their shoulder that has been gnawing at them for nine months. I heard the grounds crew is trying their best to ice the field... but it's just not sticking around this time. xoopsx Do not count on the Jacks being complacent. They are hungry as ever for more, and Coach Jimmy Rogers, who is a stark change from beloved, soft-spoken, aww-shucks, "Holy Nutmeg" saying Coach Stigelmeier... will have them fully fired up and ready to go. Heck, with as many seniors are back for SDSU, I could probably even coach them to a playoff-seeded record. For those of you unfamiliar, Jimmy Rogers has been with the SDSU program for a couple decades, both as a fantastic linebacker, and an assistant coach working up through the ranks. There is a fiery intensity that just surrounds him at all times. Last year he gave an interview before the NDSU game...
--------------
"It consumes me, to be honest," Rogers confesses, sitting at a desk covered in old-school playbook pages. "Not hoisting the Marker. Don't ask what that feels like because I've never done that. Not as a player or a coach. I let the other guys do that. I don't want to be running to that and miss my favorite part."

And, what's that, Coach?

"Watching them walk off the field. Watching them have to leave that field knowing they have lost."
--------------
That being said... obviously anything can happen, but neither team will come in complacent with the past. Both teams are so deep and talented, I think it's going to stay close, but I expect SDSU's size in the trenches to be the deciding factor in this hard fought battle. SDSU pulls it out, 35-24.

SeattleCat
September 8th, 2023, 10:33 AM
To add to the Size comments that keep floating around, its not like our O line is tiny, they were ALL underclassmen last year and have all put on significant weight while trying to maintain athleticism.

LT RFr Conner Moore 6-5 306
LG RJr Rush Reimer 6-5 300
C RJr Justus Perkins 6-0 282 (Justus is undersized but he plays like a bull)
RG So Omar Aighedian 6-3 308
RT RJr Marcus Wehr 6-2 292

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2023, 09:03 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230909/1c9ca3e5fd42c4be6361856b9545ed19.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230909/b7f9f3c0b03c87565d472cbb131d12af.jpg

Jackrabbit threads for tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RahRahRabbits
September 9th, 2023, 09:35 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230909/b7f9f3c0b03c87565d472cbb131d12af.jpg

Jackrabbit threads for tonight.

I can't quite tell... do you know what company makes the uniforms?? xlolx Some very subtle logo placement there.

New helmets look slick though. Glad the players finally get to decide the outcome of this game today instead of all us armchair QBs. So excited for tonight! College football season... truly the most wonderful time of the year.

Catbooster
September 9th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Tommy has improved as a QB. The Oline has added a few pounds. I think the defense has improved.

But I'm sure SDSU hasn't been sitting around since the previous meeting either. Did MSU improve enough more than SDSU?

My heart says we're going to win a close one. My head says the odds are that we lose a close one.

I can't wait for the game tonight to see what happens. Good luck to both teams - here's to no injuries xbeerchugx

Catbooster
September 9th, 2023, 03:18 PM
https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats_FB/status/1700195728138842243

SeattleCat
September 9th, 2023, 06:24 PM
Bobcats draw first blood. 7-0 Cats

Christiank22
SDSU looks pretty average on defense so far tbh

Russ B
Montana St. QB just took out a camera operator who didn't get back up immediately--I hope the broadcast (and team!) check back in on him.

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Wow for being crowned the greatest team in college football history sdsu sure looks like ****

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Montana State looking pissed out there. They came to play today and SDSU looks pedestrian.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

SeattleCat
September 9th, 2023, 06:32 PM
QB Shat himself.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 06:44 PM
Step on their throats MSU

SeattleCat
September 9th, 2023, 06:48 PM
10-0. FG after a super conservative play call in the redzone.

dewey
September 9th, 2023, 07:01 PM
10-0. FG after a super conservative play call in the redzone.

Dang it! Touchdown would have been huge there. That penalty was HUGE.

Dewey

SeattleCat
September 9th, 2023, 07:07 PM
Dang it! Touchdown would have been huge there. That penalty was HUGE.

Dewey

It's like we're playing not to lose right now... I hate it.

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 07:16 PM
Credit to montana state but sdsu doesn’t look anything like a championship team

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 07:19 PM
MSU is bringing the leather today. How did this notoriously soft team get so “hard”? D looked real good.

SeattleCat
Bobcats D looks good... Offense is like a catholic school girl... but she's getting home.

Christiank22
MSU is bringing the leather today. How did this notoriously soft team get so “hard”? D looked real good.

Pretty easy to do against that anemic sdsu offense

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 07:27 PM
Pretty easy to do against that anemic sdsu offense
I am not gonna trash the SDSU offense. They might drop 50 on the Bison. 😀

Russ B
September 9th, 2023, 07:27 PM
Montana St. QB just took out a camera operator who didn't get back up immediately--I hope the broadcast (and team!) check back in on him.

I've been watching with the sound off: was there any follow-up to this?

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 07:30 PM
SDSU was undefeated in those white helmets with the goofy jackrabbit logo but they had to get all cocky and do a uniform thing. If they lose this game they need to burn those all black uniforms.

Bisonator
September 9th, 2023, 07:32 PM
SDSU was undefeated in those white helmets with the goofy jackrabbit logo but they had to get all cocky and do a uniform thing. If they lose this game they need to burn those all black uniforms.
I absolutely hate black uni's especially when it's not a school color. Hope NDSU never thinks of going black!

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 08:22 PM
I’ll be honest, neither one of these teams look very good. FCS as a whole is down this year

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 08:25 PM
Brutal special teams play by SDSU. three back to back to back disasters for them

Russ B
September 9th, 2023, 08:28 PM
Brutal special teams play by SDSU. three back to back to back disasters for them

Both blockers completely whiffed their assignments on that blocked punt. Wow.

Bisonator
September 9th, 2023, 08:28 PM
Is Roehl calling the plays for MSU???xlolx

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Melot is made of glass. I feel for the kid but he’s always hurt

Bisonoline
September 9th, 2023, 08:29 PM

No kidding.

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2023, 08:30 PM
Why are you in the shotgun at the 1 yard line on 1st and goal?

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 08:30 PM
Mellot is hurt and this other guy sucks as a passer.

Bisonator
September 9th, 2023, 08:31 PM
Mellot is hurt and this other guy sucks as a passer.
So it would be like us if Cam got hurt?xnodx

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 08:32 PM
So it would be like us if Cam got hurt?xnodx
No because I think Cole can throw.

Bisonator
September 9th, 2023, 08:34 PM
No because I think Cole can throw.
Not very well from what I've seen.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 08:36 PM
Not very well from what I've seen.
He had some nice throws today. He looks better than either of these guys in this game.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 08:36 PM
The offensive play calling in this game is offensive, on both sides of the ball.

Bisonator
September 9th, 2023, 08:41 PM
OMG what an awful PF call on SDSU. That MSU olinemen deserves an oscar!xlolx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:42 PM
Impressive drive going for the Bobcats....

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 08:42 PM
If this chambers character can do this, Cole Payton is gonna look like prime Reggie Bush against sdsu

dewey
September 9th, 2023, 08:45 PM
Huge drive for MSU here but 2 costly penalties.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:48 PM
MSU with some killer penalties!

BisonBacker
Good lord how can you be so inept with all the false starts? Pathetic.

Christiank22
MSU might be the only team more undisciplined than us

dewey
September 9th, 2023, 08:49 PM
What a HUGE false start penalty for the Cats.

Dang good game though.

These 2 teams will be my top 2 this week.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:51 PM
Huge completion for SDSU!

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2023, 08:52 PM
Montana State trying to lose this game. That false start was costly.

POD Knows
R U ****ing kidding me.

Christiank22
Lol montana state can’t stop a pass to save their life

Bisonator
That didn't take long. MSU picked a bad time to play ****ty defense.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Wow! Credit SDSU but Montana State really did not help themselves in crunch time...

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 08:54 PM
Neither team looks too impressive, FCS is wide open this year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a wild horse like SIU win it all

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 08:58 PM
JFC. SDSU is letting receivers get behind them left and right

dewey
September 9th, 2023, 09:00 PM
Wow. MSU now at the SDSU 19 with 11 seconds to go.

Let's go Cats!

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Another MSU false start!

dewey
JFC MSU. Another false start.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 09:01 PM
TD!! Holy crap! Was he in?!!

TheKingpin28
What a catch!!!!

dewey
Touchdown Cats! Wow!

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 09:02 PM
He's out of bounds!

Bisonator
That's not a TD. SDSU wins it.

dewey
I think this gets called incomplete but I hope it is a touchdown.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
Man if he is out, that is heartbreak since SDSU did not deserve to win.

POD Knows
That is out of bounds. **** **** ****.

Russ B
September 9th, 2023, 09:03 PM
Wow!

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 09:03 PM
This chambers guy can throw the ball. Wtf is the deal with the MSU coaching staff. Let that guy play.

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2023, 09:04 PM
1 second on thr clock

TheKingpin28
What is the Coach for Montana State doing

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Vigen!! WTF are you doing?!?!

Bisonator
He was beyond the line of scrimmage when he threw that too. 1 second left though

dewey
September 9th, 2023, 09:05 PM
Incomplete pass and then a unsportsmanlike penalty on a MSU coach.

Dewey

Russ B
He was beyond the line of scrimmage when he threw that too. 1 second left though

I thought so, too, but there was only the one angle they kept showing.

Bisonator
Hail mary time

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 09:07 PM
SDSU wins!

TheKingpin28
Not sure SDSU is #1. Will be interesting to see if Montana State gets first place votes.

Bisonator
Jacks win it but kudos to the cats on a heck of a game!

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 09:08 PM
God damn it. Lucky ****ers.

Christiank22
Best outcome as an NDSU fan. MSU loses, sdsu looks extremely vulnerable, on our way to the 1 seed

dewey
Jacks win it but kudos to the cats on a heck of a game!

Agreed! Really good game. Dang the Cats need to get the penalties under control.

Dewey

SeattleCat
September 9th, 2023, 09:10 PM
So I guess it's the return of Coaches doing stupid ****... 100% on the coaches someone should be fired.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 09:11 PM
MSU got way too conservative on offense, too one dimensional. MSU, good effort on the road. SDSU, suck my balls

MavRabbitMatt
September 9th, 2023, 09:16 PM
That's two really good teams battling for 60 minutes. SDSU's first-team offense played 17 snaps last week against a D2 team and it showed in the first half.

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 09:17 PM
This is who I thought Montana St was — good on the ground and can control the game methodically as they grind it out. Good defense, too.

Didn’t come away overly impressed with SDSU. They’ll certainly stay #1, but they’re mortal.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 09:19 PM
Best outcome as an NDSU fan. MSU loses, sdsu looks extremely vulnerable, on our way to the 1 seed
You need to lay off the grains dude. 😵*💫

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 09:21 PM
You need to lay off the grains dude. [emoji43]*[emoji94]

Sorry I’m not like the rest of the ags ndsu “fans” that want NDSU to suck. SDSU looks average at best

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 09:22 PM
This is who I thought Montana St was — good on the ground and can control the game methodically as they grind it out. Good defense, too.

Didn’t come away overly impressed with SDSU. They’ll certainly stay #1, but they’re mortal.

Shh that’s taboo to say on AGS

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2023, 09:36 PM
Sorry I’m not like the rest of the ags ndsu “fans” that want NDSU to suck. SDSU looks average at best

Stupid ass post here....xrolleyesx

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 09:40 PM
Stupid ass post here....xrolleyesx

The schtick of bad mouthing your own team gets old

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2023, 09:42 PM
Sorry I’m not like the rest of the ags ndsu “fans” that want NDSU to suck. SDSU looks average at bestThe fairweather fan in me knows this NDSU team is not what it used to be. We don't want them to suck, but we can admit when we look average and we have meatheads calling qb run out of the shotgun, half of the game, and wonder why we have regressed.

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2023, 09:44 PM
The schtick of bad mouthing your own team gets oldThe shtick of worshipping this average ndsu team and being a blind homer is old. MSU and SDSU will walk all over NDSU if the Bison believe they can play like they did against either of those tea.s.

Christiank22
September 9th, 2023, 09:50 PM
The shtick of worshipping this average ndsu team and being a blind homer is old. MSU and SDSU will walk all over NDSU if the Bison believe they can play like they did against either of those tea.s.

MSU has no offense without Melot, SDSU is very back and forth on offense, they have moments. They can’t stop a Qb run to save their life though.

Both of those teams tonight look extremely beatable.

RabidRabbit
September 9th, 2023, 09:54 PM
Great game! Still #1 vs #3 no change to those rankings for either team.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 09:56 PM
Blind homerism is embarrassing. We “contrarians” just desire the sweet nectar of perfection that was provided to us, in excess, by the noble Bison. As a dues paying member of the most entitled fan base in America, second place is not an option

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2023, 10:01 PM
Just got back from the game. Wow.

I’m not surprised Bizon fans saying both MSU and SDSU look “average”

This game was insanely physical, two really good teams.

Craziest, loudest game I’ve ever attended at SDSU. Wow.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 10:06 PM
Just got back from the game. Wow.

I’m not surprised Bizon fans saying both MSU and SDSU look “average”

This game was insanely physical, two really good teams.

Craziest, loudest game I’ve ever attended at SDSU. Wow.

It was a physical game, it was also very sloppy and penalty filled. I think both teams are better than they showed in this game.

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2023, 10:21 PM
It was a physical game, it was also very sloppy and penalty filled. I think both teams are better than they showed in this game.

Sooo many penalties. Very chippy game.

A rivalry has developed between these two squads.

Professor Chaos
September 10th, 2023, 06:38 AM
If SDSU is #1 I don't see how Montana St isn't #2. NDSU gets their chance to prove themselves in the same building later this year.

I thought Montana St play incredibly scrappy. It's clear their offense was severely limited when Mellott went out but they still gave themselves a chance to win.

One thing that bugs me as a fan is lack of situational awareness from players and that was on full display on that blocked punt. Montana St had virtually no risk trying to pick the ball up and score instead of failing on it at the 1. It's easy to critique when you're not in the heat of the moment like the players were but that was a pivotal stop for the SDSU defense after that.

I also thought the overturned TD at the end was a bit sketchy. Partly because Midco hardly showed any replays but it was reeeeally close so seemed like they would stick with the call on the field. I think they probably got the call right in the end and I wish replay would work more where the call on the field doesn't matter.

Really great game to watch!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2023, 06:48 AM

Nothing with honest critique there bud. You don't like it? I don't give a sh**!

mmiller_34
September 10th, 2023, 07:57 AM
I also thought the overturned TD at the end was a bit sketchy. Partly because Midco hardly showed any replays but it was reeeeally close so seemed like they would stick with the call on the field. I think they probably got the call right in the end and I wish replay would work more where the call on the field doesn't matter.

I think this picture is what sealed the reversal.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230910/fbd4a7397f5809d755ea6a86118f62b8.jpg

Incredible game.

Professor Chaos
September 10th, 2023, 08:18 AM
I think this picture is what sealed the reversal.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230910/fbd4a7397f5809d755ea6a86118f62b8.jpg

Incredible game.

If he didn't have control until that time it's obviously incomplete but right as the ball hit his hands his left foot was dragging in bounds and his right foot may have brushed the ground.

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1700696892592849177

When he was ruled to be in control of the ball probably determined the call but the official gave no explanation after review which didn't help either. I'd assume the ruling was he didn't gain possession of the ball until he was OB. Chambers was also super close to have his back foot across the LOS which also could've been reviewable.

jacksfan29!
September 10th, 2023, 09:14 AM
Shh that’s taboo to say on AGS

Your posts are just way to emotional, that is why even the NDSU fan base grow weary reading them. SDSU looked like it was their first game back, weird mistakes and conservative on offense, and discombobulated on defense under a new coordinator. Looked like their first game of the season, which it really was. Playing Western Oregon was not helpful, they needed the Nebraska game to happen. MSU looked sloppy, early season, in many ways their first game also. Both teams are physical. How about we wait to see where both are compared to the great and mighty Bison. Now go get an early morning beer, watch the Vikings loose, and get emotional somewhere else.

Preferred Walk-On
September 10th, 2023, 02:08 PM
If SDSU is #1 I don't see how Montana St isn't #2. NDSU gets their chance to prove themselves in the same building later this year.

I thought Montana St play incredibly scrappy. It's clear their offense was severely limited when Mellott went out but they still gave themselves a chance to win.

One thing that bugs me as a fan is lack of situational awareness from players and that was on full display on that blocked punt. Montana St had virtually no risk trying to pick the ball up and score instead of failing on it at the 1. It's easy to critique when you're not in the heat of the moment like the players were but that was a pivotal stop for the SDSU defense after that.

Actually, the Midco broadcast and images for that play were very good. They just didn't show it over and over and over (like you said). I was happy to see that all three things were clear and called correctly (QB not over line of scrimmage, WR catch out-of-bounds, AND 1 sec remaining on clock). However, the unsportsmanlike penalty really hampered the chance to have another good crack at it. Very exciting game, and both teams showed why they are the best of the FCS and that neither is infallible this year.

Christiank22
September 10th, 2023, 04:29 PM
Your posts are just way to emotional, that is why even the NDSU fan base grow weary reading them. SDSU looked like it was their first game back, weird mistakes and conservative on offense, and discombobulated on defense under a new coordinator. Looked like their first game of the season, which it really was. Playing Western Oregon was not helpful, they needed the Nebraska game to happen. MSU looked sloppy, early season, in many ways their first game also. Both teams are physical. How about we wait to see where both are compared to the great and mighty Bison. Now go get an early morning beer, watch the Vikings loose, and get emotional somewhere else.

Nothing emotional about it. AGS is far too emotional to crown SDSU as the champion already after looking like an extremely beatable team yesterday. Idk why that makes so many people upset.

If you think SDSU and MSU are going to cruise back to the championship game without any difficulty then you will be very disappointed this season. Neither team looked like a clear best in the FCS.

MavRabbitMatt
September 10th, 2023, 04:58 PM
Was SDSU sharp? No. But again, the starters on offense played 17 plays against a D2 team in their first game (last minute addition after the FBS opponent canceled). The offense started moving in the second half. MSU is really good and in a close game between good teams, neither is going to roll. And neither team did. "SDSU is extremely beatable" is a fair take... but it they were playing maybe the second best team in the country. Next week won't tell anyone much either. Drake almost got beat by an NAIA team. UND on 9/30 is the next big opponent.

Bisonoline
September 10th, 2023, 05:06 PM

He was clearly on the other side of the endzone line.