PDA

View Full Version : GSU Announces Plans for FBS Feasibility Study

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ButlerGSU
January 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
NOT WE HAD OURS. 1860-1865, 1898, 1917, 1941-1945, 1952, 1965-1972, 1991, 2001-PRESENT DAY

If you consider the present to be 'your time' then your standards are even lower than I thought. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Walkon79
January 3rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
I think after this year, more and more top NCAA officials are going to seriously consider moving to some sort of bowl/playoff hybrid system. By the time we move up, the BCS will be a horrible dream that will finally be over.

getting a late start on the thread, but why do ya'll think a playoff system would make any difference to a lower tier D1 school of a non-name conference. No way GSU, Texas State, or anybody else would even sniff a 16 team playoff, probably ever!!. This isn't going to be like the NCAA BBall tourney, with all the automatic qualifiers. Besides, without the bowl season, there would be no post-season for anybody but the big dogs.

Walkon79
January 3rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Listen I can understand debating on moving up our not but I will never understand the anger it invokes and the hate it produces. I never really knew if GSU would ever move up or not but I have always wished those that did the best of luck!! I would rather see FCS teams move to the next level and kick ass than the other way around!

Didn't GSu try this once before?

BearsCountry
January 4th, 2008, 02:17 AM
getting a late start on the thread, but why do ya'll think a playoff system would make any difference to a lower tier D1 school of a non-name conference. No way GSU, Texas State, or anybody else would even sniff a 16 team playoff, probably ever!!. This isn't going to be like the NCAA BBall tourney, with all the automatic qualifiers. Besides, without the bowl season, there would be no post-season for anybody but the big dogs.

If an NCAA tournament sets up and not all of the 11 FBS conferences are involved the 5 non BCS conferences would sue the crap out of the NCAA. Heck them going to Congress got them in the situation now in which Hawaii, Boise St, and Utah got play in a BCS game.

grizband
January 4th, 2008, 03:16 AM
If an NCAA tournament sets up and not all of the 11 FBS conferences are involved the 5 non BCS conferences would sue the crap out of the NCAA. Heck them going to Congress got them in the situation now in which Hawaii, Boise St, and Utah got play in a BCS game.
Maybe this is one reason the NCAA doesn't push for an FBS playoff system, to avoid such a lawsuit.

FCS Preview
January 4th, 2008, 05:32 AM
If you consider the present to be 'your time' then your standards are even lower than I thought. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Check his dates, then check an American history book.

FCS Preview
January 4th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Most people's plans include keeping the bowls as an NIT kind of deal. Not the ultimate goal (playoffs) but a nice reward for a decent season

Eaglesrus
January 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Didn't GSu try this once before?

Not that I know of, and I'm a charter member of Southern Boosters. It has certainly been a topic of conversation in GSU circles for years, but I don't recall a serious study of the possibility ever having been done before.

ButlerGSU
January 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Check his dates, then check an American history book.

Check what I wrote and then chime in. I only referred to the present (and no, I am not talking about the 'war for freedom' that would belong in the political lounge) but thanks for the two cents.

rfeng
January 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Let me add a couple of quick points.

Whenever there is a discussion of I-A/FBC UMass is always brought up. There is no way that UMass will be welcome into the BE. There have been continuous reports the BE isn't interested in UMass. Their only viable option is to follow Temple into the MAC.
Step 1 to join the MAC or Sun Belt is a 30-40K seat stadium, larger facilities, and a $5M or larger annual budget.

The Sun Belt is a viable option and a good one if you can get in. Their schools are investing money expanding their facilities and the conference is taking steps to make all of their programs more competitive. They will be a better conference than the MAC in a few years. FIU and FAU are building new stadiums on campus giving out the max number of scholarships and investing in their programs.

I think the time has passed where we can laugh at the Sun Belt.

The bottom line to move is cash up front and a larger annual budget balanced out by higher ticket prices and TV revenue. Most of the FCS programs will need to do same upgrades other than increase their stadium to remain competitive in the FCS. Some FCS schools are spending $15M -$60M to upgrade their facilities. Some with older facilities may need to spend more. Those that don't will not be competitive much longer as football players will elect to go to schools with better facilities.

ButlerGSU
February 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM
The RFP for the FCS study being conducted by Georgia Southern can be read online at:

http://www.southernfacts.org/files/GSU_FBS_Feasibility_Study_RFP.pdf

PantherRob82
February 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The Sun Belt is a viable option and a good one if you can get in. Their schools are investing money expanding their facilities and the conference is taking steps to make all of their programs more competitive. They will be a better conference than the MAC in a few years.

I think the time has passed where we can laugh at the Sun Belt.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Being better than the MAC is not much of an accomplishment.