PDA

View Full Version : OVC/Big South 2023 Thread

ST_Lawson
September 5th, 2023, 01:46 PM
I did a bunch of searching but didn't see a general "OVC/Big South" thread for discussion and news that doesn't warrant its own specific thread.
Now that I have a vested interest in the OVC (even though we don't play football there until 2024), I figured I'd start one up.

To start with...I just saw this popping up regarding Lindenwood and SEMO: https://lindenwoodlions.com/news/2023/9/4/general-mrv-banks-to-sponsor-the-semo-lindenwood-game-ball-brawl-football-rivalry.aspx

And I had a thought...WIU and EIU should try to get Jimmy John's to sponsor a rivalry trophy between the two schools starting next year.
For those that don't know, Jimmy John's was founded in 1983 in Charleston, IL, with their first location essentially across the street from EIU.
The second-ever Jimmy John's location was opened in Macomb in 1986 on West Jackson Street, approximately three blocks south of WIU's campus.

We do have a traveling trophy with EIU for basketball (the "Old Railsplitter"...an axe), but this could either replace it or be its own football-only thing.
WIU has a long history with EIU in football, meeting up 67 times (WIU leads the series 42-21-4) starting back in 1930 and every year from 1943 until 1997 after EIU left the conference. Since then, we've only faced off three times: the playoffs in '02 when we shut down Tony Romo, then a H&H series in '15 and '16.

kdinva
September 5th, 2023, 02:01 PM
some fine history there.....

BS50
September 8th, 2023, 12:52 PM
I'd love to see some BS/OVS talk.

Game Ball Brawl this weekend in Cape. Hoping the Lions can hold their own. Last year got kinda ugly in the second half.

ST_Lawson
September 8th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Missouri State at UT Martin is looking like a pretty interesting. The two schools are fairly close to each other, and they've played each other the last two seasons, with UT Martin winning 32-31 in the 2021 playoffs, then Missouri State winning 35-30 in the second game of the 2022 season. Both are currently in the "Others Receiving Votes" section of the AGS poll, and Massey has this game as essentially a "coin flip," with both teams having a 50% chance of winning (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287440). The game will be at 6 PM (Central) on ESPN+.

Ridge1982
September 8th, 2023, 03:04 PM
Yeah, we held our own until Geno Hess went crazy.

Ridge1982
September 8th, 2023, 03:07 PM
SEMO is a 17 pt favorite per 5dimes and Massey Ratings.

BS50
September 8th, 2023, 06:19 PM
Yeah, we held our own until Geno Hess went crazy.

On paper we should be better equipped to slow down the run.

On average we are about 15 pounds heavier per man across the defensive line. Our starting D Tackles last year combined for 564 pounds. This year they combine for 608. We're also about 2.5 inches taller, which can help disrupt the pass game as well.

The real beef was added in the LB spot. Our linebackers last year averaged 6'1" and 211 pounds. That doesn't match up well against Geno Hess, who is a 225 pound bowling ball that can break your ankles.

This year our LB group averages 6'3" and 224 pounds. We'll see if they can at least keep him from scoring at will.

Overall, I'd say we look a lot more like an FCS team now that we've recruited some size and athleticism. Seeing the beef we have on the field now reminds me how great of a job this coaching staff and all of our D2 recruited kids did last year. It wasn't the toughest scheduled, but it was definitely a step up from the GLVC, and they held their own in all but 2 games honestly. And even in those games, we were still in it at halftime.

Should be fun to follow this team's journey over the next few years as the size and resources start delivering an ROI!

Ridge1982
September 9th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Well, this is over. 24-0 RedHawks

mvfcfan
September 10th, 2023, 05:20 PM
So far the OVC is 2-0 vs the MVFC (EIU > INSU and UTM > MOSU). Next weekend we have SIU @ SEMO and LU @ WIU.

ST_Lawson
September 10th, 2023, 10:57 PM
...LU @ WIU.

I guess we still technically count as MVFC.

Paladin1aa
September 11th, 2023, 07:26 AM
YSU plays Robert Morris this week. RMU was ranked 10th in the Big South-OVC poll.

Ridge1982
September 13th, 2023, 01:55 PM
WIU is a 4 pt favorite over Lindenwood per 5dimes.

Ridge1982
September 13th, 2023, 01:57 PM
I guess we still technically count as MVFC.
Yup. Time to beat a team from Patty Viverito’s conference.

Ridge1982
September 15th, 2023, 03:48 AM
Away games now called on KFNS 590
https://lindenwoodlions.com/news/2023/9/7/general-football-road-games-to-be-broadcast-on-590-the-fan.aspx

Ridge1982
September 17th, 2023, 03:46 PM
So Lindenwood overcame a 17 pt deficit to beat WIU 43-40. Can’t wait for the new I-55/Amtrak Lincoln Service derby vs Illinois State in Normal.

WestCoastAggie
September 18th, 2023, 07:29 AM
What happened to GWebb against Tennessee State? That outcome was surprising.

BS50
September 19th, 2023, 09:47 AM
So Lindenwood overcame a 17 pt deficit to beat WIU 43-40. Can’t wait for the new I-55/Amtrak Lincoln Service derby vs Illinois State in Normal.

I'm glad to see the "never out of it" culture remains with this younger team. Losing long time leaders like Cade, Rose, and Rogenhoffer... I wondered if that would remain. Obviously we didn't see it the week prior vs. SEMO. To be fair, I think SEMO is a flat out more talented and physical team right now, and they're well coached. They stepped on our throats and kept the boot there.

Good to see us claw back vs. WIU though.

Seems like after we got burned 2x in first quarter, we sat back in bend but don't break defense. Kept giving up huge chunk plays on deep outs, but only allowed the leathernecks 9 points in second half. That's respectable by any metric.

I think we have a star in Jeff Caldwell. I do hope Dugger can develop some chemistry with one of his other weapons though. Teams like ISU will be much more capable of deleting him from our game plan.