PDA

View Full Version : Colgate posters?

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2023, 07:38 PM
I know we are a diminished group, and I know yesterday was excruciating, but am I the only one left?

crusader11
September 3rd, 2023, 08:13 PM
Not just Colgate.

There used to be a strong contingent of PL posters around these parts. Lafayette had a good crew. Where are Bogey? Carney?

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2023, 09:01 PM
Social media kinda killed message board culture. On AGS we lost a lot of good posters to the FBS, and we're just replacing them because they're finding community and conversation on facebook and reddit.

My data point that somewhat confirms my hypothesis is that there's basically no ETSU fans on here? Which is wild because they are one of the most active fanbases on social media; they get great attendance at their games too. But they're nowhere to be seen on AGS (and those that do exist were fans of other FCS teams first). And the reason that is is because they didn't have a football program for like 10 years, where at least half of that time was the best time to be on a message board because social media hadn't exploded to what it is today (2003-2010).

Speaking for myself, it seems I'm the only wofford fan left too. My dad lost interest in AGS a very long time ago, which is odd because he signed me up because he was so enthusiastic about this place - I don't remember asking to sign up! I stick around because I'm a certified weirdo.

I'd also say there's a culture problem on AGS in that the site's not as fun or welcoming as it used to be (not that it's not fun!), but that's a conversation for DMs.

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2023, 09:45 PM
Social media kinda killed message board culture. On AGS we lost a lot of good posters to the FBS, and we're just replacing them because they're finding community and conversation on facebook and reddit.

My data point that somewhat confirms my hypothesis is that there's basically no ETSU fans on here? Which is wild because they are one of the most active fanbases on social media; they get great attendance at their games too. But they're nowhere to be seen on AGS (and those that do exist were fans of other FCS teams first). And the reason that is is because they didn't have a football program for like 10 years, where at least half of that time was the best time to be on a message board because social media hadn't exploded to what it is today (2003-2010).

Speaking for myself, it seems I'm the only wofford fan left too. My dad lost interest in AGS a very long time ago, which is odd because he signed me up because he was so enthusiastic about this place - I don't remember asking to sign up! I stick around because I'm a certified weirdo.

I'd also say there's a culture problem on AGS in that the site's not as fun or welcoming as it used to be (not that it's not fun!), but that's a conversation for DMs.

Well said. Many thanks!

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2023, 10:22 PM
Not just Colgate.
There used to be a strong contingent of PL posters around these parts. Lafayette had a good crew. Where are Bogey? Carney?

Sadly, I think the John Garrett era took the wind out of a lot of Lafayette posters. That, and the lack of winning.

A secondary issue? School-specific football boards are now defunct at Lehigh, Lafayette, and Bucknell, which means less cross-traffic to AGS.

Some message boards, however, are overwhelmed with posts. Talk to anyone who visits Texags.com.

https://texags.com/forums

grizband
September 3rd, 2023, 10:27 PM

Facebook groups are where most younger fans congregate... at least for now. I wonder, do younger people value community about football in the same way? Now I feel old

NY Crusader 2010
September 4th, 2023, 06:40 AM

I don't think you can build the rapport with fellow commentors on social media like you can with posters on quality message boards. Too many weirdos, bots and fake accounts on social to really get any effective dialogue going. Comment sections on social media are echo chambers and havens for name-calling. And are full of people you sense are just internet-addicted in their basement all day behind the keyboard. Kind of like the political board here but worse.

NY Crusader 2010
September 4th, 2023, 06:49 AM
Facebook groups are where most younger fans congregate... at least for now. I wonder, do younger people value community about football in the same way? Now I feel old

Define "younger" though. Very few people under the age of 40 are using Facebook on a regular basis. For millennials, Instagram is far and away the dominant social media platform, with Twitter / X 2nd if they have strong opinions. For the under-30 crowd (Gen Z), it's Tik Tok, Snapchat and Instagram third. What's funny is that my generation got really into Snapchat for a couple of years from like 2015-2017 but we all stopped using it when IG added the story feature. But the younger kids still use it, I think for the ability to send messages that disappear after 24 hours.

Most millennials still have an active Facebook account, but just don't actually use it. There may be 1 or 2 older relatives on the site they want to occasionally follow, or for most I think there's just so much history built up over 15+ years of use, that people don't want to just delete all of that. There was a stretch of time where I had already gotten rid of Facebook (2015 or 2016 -- deactivated not deleted) but kept the FB messenger app, in case I wanted to reach out to someone who's number I'd lost but that I'd been FB friends with. But even that, I haven't used in 5 years.

NY Crusader 2010
September 4th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Sadly, I think the John Garrett era took the wind out of a lot of Lafayette posters. That, and the lack of winning.

A secondary issue? School-specific football boards are now defunct at Lehigh, Lafayette, and Bucknell, which means less cross-traffic to AGS.

Some message boards, however, are overwhelmed with posts. Talk to anyone who visits Texags.com.

As far as overall numbers, were there ever that many PL posters?

Holy Cross - there's 3 of us on here and it's been the same three since I joined AGS
Georgetown - DFW, you are the show. Without you, it's blackness.
Bucknell - can't remember a Bucknell poster, ever.
Lafayette - Bogus, Carney + maybe a couple more
Lehigh - LFN, LU Owl + the third dude that's a former QB I believe
Colgate - Red Raider and Go...Gate, might be forgetting a couple
Fordham - Boogie Down, Free the F4, that B Niche guy chimes in every once in a while with some great takes

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2023, 07:06 AM
I don't think you can build the rapport with fellow commentors on social media like you can with posters on quality message boards. Too many weirdos, bots and fake accounts on social to really get any effective dialogue going. Comment sections on social media are echo chambers and havens for name-calling. And are full of people you sense are just internet-addicted in their basement all day behind the keyboard. Kind of like the political board here but worse.

Well that would have been was a valid point a few years ago but all those guys you described are nowhere to be seen these days.

Younger generation just not that into college football I’m afraid

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2023, 07:19 AM

Holy Cross - there's 3 of us on here and it's been the same three since I joined AGS
Fordham - Boogie Down, Free the F4, that B Niche guy chimes in every once in a while with some great takes

CAA posters took a hit when JMU left, they all left this place before they were officially in FBS

The post Keeler era has decimated Delaware fan participation on here but many still on gohens.net

William & Mary 3 or 4

maybe 3 or 4 UNH guys

Maine 2

Rhode 2

Nova maybe 2 or 3, btw where is gangsta …

Stoner Brook had a few but now none

Albany 2 or 3

Elon 2 or so

Nc A&T 1 Aggie

Campbell. None

Richmond 1 and he might be gone now

Towson none for a while

Monmouth 2

Pards Rule
September 4th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Not just Colgate.

Idk but I can tell you the tapatalk Lafayette forum is moribund and they arent there.

Pards Rule
September 4th, 2023, 07:55 AM

Some message boards, however, are overwhelmed with posts. Talk to anyone who visits Texags.

DFW there is a Pard forum on tapatalk but it is very weak

Pards Rule
September 4th, 2023, 08:01 AM

I joined Nov of 2005 just prior to the Lehigh-Lafayette game that year. I didnt know this board existed in pre social era and a Pard on there begged for help and gave us the www as he was getting pounded by Lehigh folks. It was great because I linked up with a App State poster on cellphone and he txt me updates as I couldnt attend the playoff game vs App St in 2005 in Boone. Interesting to note re: Wofford that our HC at the time was able to scout App vs Wofford as Lafayette had an off week and he went south to visit and see his son who played for the Terriers, Daniel Tavani. Our HC was Frank Tavani. Helped for the tremendous showing we had in that game, only losing by 11 but tied 20-20 mid 4th

Pards Rule
September 4th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Im proudly here since Nov 2005 C2010!

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2023, 08:26 AM

I think there are other aspects like access to FBS games being easier, the death of regional sports networks, and the fact that college educated people are becoming more different than those who don't attend. This isn't a red/blue thing, so much as it's a "more likely to be at college for job prospects, will move to another city, etc etc"

I have always been an outlier for my FCS fandom, and I'm okay with that, but it's something that's always made me curious.

I've chatted with some good folks on social media outside of AGS for FCS football. The disadvantage is that threads aren't as organized as they are on a message board. And just in general, I think social media can be bad for you. I also can't go on my long effort posts there like I can here xlolx

bonarae
September 4th, 2023, 08:38 AM
I think there are other aspects like access to FBS games being easier, the death of regional sports networks, and the fact that college educated people are becoming more different than those who don't attend. This isn't a red/blue thing, so much as it's a "more likely to be at college for job prospects, will move to another city, etc etc"

I have always been an outlier for my FCS fandom, and I'm okay with that, but it's something that's always made me curious.

I've chatted with some good folks on social media outside of AGS for FCS football. The disadvantage is that threads aren't as organized as they are on a message board. And just in general, I think social media can be bad for you. I also can't go on my long effort posts there like I can here xlolx

xoutofrepx I agree.

Backstory on why I joined AGS:

Ralph (the long-forgotten founder of this board) invited those plying school and conference-specific message boards (I was soul-searching on the Ivy League Voy board at the time) to some contest on AGS back in January 2004. Even more stranger is my (current as it has ever been) non-affiliation with any FCS school at all (though some of my cousins attended FCS-playing schools, they were not even part of their loyalists at their stadiums. They simply didn't care about college football.)

I practically grew up with AGS. Though our subdivision that we support is currently at a crossroads, we still support our schools that we attended or back.

I have been supporting Harvard football since the early 2000s for some unknown reason. At the time I joined AGS, ETSU had just stopped football but it's back now, hopefully for good.

The bolded statement in the quote from Reign of Terrier also resonates with me. I have tried to move on from AGS (e.g., my ongoing graduate school studies is part of my plans regarding my moving on) and tried to join D3boards a few times, but I haven't tried signing up there again since the COVID-19 pandemic began. I don't have the time to meddle with the loyalists of that board, even with our FCS brethren who have moved on and thrived in our rival message board, CS, anymore.

Reign of Terrier
September 4th, 2023, 08:58 AM
xoutofrepx I agree.

Backstory on why I joined AGS:

Ralph (the long-forgotten founder of this board) invited those plying school and conference-specific message boards (I was soul-searching on the Ivy League Voy board at the time) to some contest on AGS back in January 2004. Even more stranger is my (current as it has ever been) non-affiliation with any FCS school at all (though some of my cousins attended FCS-playing schools, they were not even part of their loyalists at their stadiums. They simply didn't care about college football.)

I practically grew up with AGS. Though our subdivision that we support is currently at a crossroads, we still support our schools that we attended or back.

I have been supporting Harvard football since the early 2000s for some unknown reason. At the time I joined AGS, ETSU had just stopped football but it's back now, hopefully for good.

The bolded statement in the quote from Reign of Terrier also resonates with me. I have tried to move on from AGS (e.g., my ongoing graduate school studies is part of my plans regarding my moving on) and tried to join D3boards a few times, but I haven't tried signing up there again since the COVID-19 pandemic began. I don't have the time to meddle with the loyalists of that board, even with our FCS brethren who have moved on and thrived in our rival message board, CS, anymore.

I mean, not to trash CS.com, but their problems are much worse when it comes to FCS content. There was huge schism on here in the late 2000s (I don't know the details other than weird/bad moderation and people not liking Ralph, it was social media drama before social media drama had an identifier). A lot of posters exited here to there and never came back (the fact that Delaware has so few fans on here, when they were probably the most active CAA fanbase back then is probably partially Ralph's doing). Well, eventually Ralph left/was forced to leave here and AGS got better, but CS sort of stayed as more of a lounge-like website for the AGS exiles.

So now AGS is definitely more FCS-discussion-based (there are lots of active threads!), but CS.com is more for politics and "shooting the ****" (The lounge and political threads have more posts than the FCS discussion and the FCS discussion is actually pretty barren). It's actually a fun little experiment in internet archaeology. CS.com has very few NDSU posters because all of this stuff blew up pre-NDSU-dynasty. CS.com is super interesting from the outside looking in, it's more of a couple dozen people's hobby horse, like their own personal chat room for guys well into adulthood who met virtually 10+ years ago. There's nothing wrong with that, I just think it's interesting.

Maybe this is a hot take, and maybe it's shown how I've grown personally and politically, but I do think politics kinda broke people brains and hurt the growth of both boards. And I'm not saying that as if I didn't contribute to that (being a teenager and young college student when this social media stuff really blew up, you know I did). I sort of poisoned the well about myself on CS.com (my dad signed me up there too, but I developed a brain disease at the time called "having a tumblr" so that went down well).

But in the last 7 years or so, we've had all these social stuff happen offline that contributed to stagnant growth/shrinkage. And NDSU dominating things probably didn't help either. We used to roast Novemberists, but the Novemberists would stick around more. People used to have a little bit better sense of humor too, but nowadays, it seems like [redacted] fans get super combative if you suggest your random team deserves a playoff spot. Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but there's a lot more "this team who won today is trash" today than there was 10-15 years ago when the vibe was more "I'm an App state fan, and I hate Georgia Southern, but I respect Monken, the CAA, and Mike Ayers is pretty legit"

Again, that could be nostalgia talking.

crusader11
September 4th, 2023, 09:46 AM
Bonarea— remarkable dedication to FCS football.

Lehigh'98
September 4th, 2023, 11:03 AM
It’s been depressing being a LU/PL fan the last 8-9 years for many different reasons. Holy Cross and Fordham to some extent are the only teams that have figured out scholarships. Watching LU lineup against teams we once competed very well against and look like a D3 school from a size, strength and speed standpoint is a tough pill to swallow. All that being said, I’m cautiously optimistic about the new regime.

Doc QB
September 4th, 2023, 12:41 PM
It’s been depressing being a LU/PL fan the last 8-9 years for many different reasons. Holy Cross and Fordham to some extent are the only teams that have figured out scholarships. Watching LU lineup against teams we once competed very well against and look like a D3 school from a size, strength and speed standpoint is a tough pill to swallow. All that being said, I’m cautiously optimistic about the new regime.

I was there and agree on ‘Nova size advantage against us.
I’ve been a little quiet here these days, as doing radio for LU I wouldn’t want to say something stupid and jeopardize that gig, as there has been a lot to complain about.

Plus, I’ve gotten to know Cahill a bit, our sons are both Hs frosh qb’s, we’re at all same games, summer 7 on 7’s. We belong to same golf club too. Played over summer w him. Tremendous guy.

He’s the right guy. All I’ll divulge from his many comments, is that we are WAY behind talent wise. To much money on kids who won’t ever contribute. Was it poor talent eval by Gilmore crew or was it all we can get? Phasing those kids out will take time. Finding newer playmakers will take time. I’ll chose to be patient. It will change and it won’t be quick.

For 2023, you don’t put in a football only turf field, 2024 complete locker room and weight room construction, and indoor facility if u r happy to stay bottom half of PL. will take time. But I’ll continue to lurk here on AGS as the usual suspects here are entertaining as hell.

ngineer
September 4th, 2023, 01:26 PM

Hey, I been here since 2004!xeyebrowx

I think the culture change has contributed to less traffic. The 'younger generation' is now tied into other venues and websites. I also note the reduced attendance at PL sporting events (not just football). I've always liked the knowledge so many have about their respective schools and conferences. I also enjoy some of the 'other' forums, i.e. MLB, the college sports, and the multiple threads for each school or conference. I have learned that some loss in participation may also be associated with 'the times' of people losing the ability to disagree/debate without it becoming personal. Being a retired lawyer, I have always enjoyed a good debate. But, the enjoyment goes away when the name-calling and high octane disparagement begins. I fear we've lost a number due to the atmosphere.

Wolffan
September 5th, 2023, 06:21 AM
I’ve been a little quiet here these days, as doing radio for LU I wouldn’t want to say something stupid and jeopardize that gig, as there has been a lot to complain about.

Plus, I’ve gotten to know Cahill a bit, our sons are both Hs frosh qb’s, we’re at all same games, summer 7 on 7’s. We belong to same golf club too. Played over summer w him. Tremendous guy.

He’s the right guy. All I’ll divulge from his many comments, is that we are WAY behind talent wise. To much money on kids who won’t ever contribute. Was it poor talent eval by Gilmore crew or was it all we can get? Phasing those kids out will take time. Finding newer playmakers will take time. I’ll chose to be patient. It will change and it won’t be quick.

For 2023, you don’t put in a football only turf field, 2024 complete locker room and weight room construction, and indoor facility if u r happy to stay bottom half of PL. will take time. But I’ll continue to lurk here on AGS as the usual suspects here are entertaining as hell.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. Gilmore's greatest weakness (by far) his last four years at Holy Cross was recruiting - although this was unrecognized by the casual HC fans. Some are still in denial. They focused on some of his other issues.

I saw the same glaring weakness during his tenure at Lehigh and (oddly enough) saw this was unrecognized by the casual Lehigh fan.

HC tremendous turnaround is due in great part Chesney's ability to recruit quality players while cycling thru the previous group of recruits. (and certainly the new facilities helped with recruiting). And your point about playmakers is well taken...at the same time I think Sluka's speed and athleticism might obscure the incredible growth in quality roster depth that has occurred there since Chesney arrived.

UNHWildcat18
September 5th, 2023, 07:55 AM
I have also noticed how we lost a lot of posters the last few years for every conference.. Yeah we've lost some teams to FBS but even FCS teams that used to have a few posters here have all vanished, it's sad really.

The Boogie Down
September 5th, 2023, 03:16 PM

Great post. Looking back now, I can now say the parts in bold really make sense to me!

After the Nets moved back east of the East River this old Brooklynite raced to get season tickets. I re-upped for season two but then it got too pricey. Anyways, early into that second season, I went out for drinks with other people in my section (this was around November, 2013) and got to talking with two other Net fans. At the time I was in my late 30s and I'm guessing they were both about 8-10 years younger than me.

So we were drinking and complaining (the way Brooklynites often do) when the idea of making our own fan site came up. One of them said he could easily put together a message board when the other one laughed, turned to me and said something like, "Are you kidding? Who does message boards anymore?"

Not getting the joke at all (back then I still had a flip phone and except for Facebook I've never been into social media to begin with), I just threw on a nervous smile and waited for the subject to change. Only now do I get that even back then the "kids" were already on Twitter (or whatever was big then) and quickly firing off jokes/memes/hot takes/insults off their smart phones.

So yeah, nooowww I finally get that it was social media & the culture it brought that, starting around 2009/2010, killed off most message boards!

...Although I still prefer the neighborly feel of message boards. Particularly this one where I trust most have a grasp for what they're talking about and aren't primarily here to trade jabs.
(F Holy Cross :D)

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2023, 04:32 PM

Crop Duster sweep

ncspiderfan
September 6th, 2023, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=caribbeanhen;3139245]CAA posters took a hit when JMU left, they all left this place before they were officially in FBS

Richmond 1, I know myself and paward are around since paward picked in the CAA pick-em already this week. To point being made, I do not post a lot (but lurk on the board near daily), cannot speak for paward.
Might be others like myself that read more than post.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2023, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=caribbeanhen;3139245]CAA posters took a hit when JMU left, they all left this place before they were officially in FBS

Richmond 1, I know myself and paward are around since paward picked in the CAA pick-em already this week. To point being made, I do not post a lot (but lurk on the board near daily), cannot speak for paward.
Might be others like myself that read more than post.

PaWard! Outstanding poster, how could I forget? Because he/she just doesn’t post so much anymore I guess

glad you’re back and come on over to CAA thread more often

Go...gate
September 6th, 2023, 09:47 PM
I miss Cap'n Cat and D1B....

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2023, 09:43 AM
Being a Cap'n/D1B enjoyer really does date one on this website, as they haven't posted consistently in well over a decade (I'm dated on this website?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2023, 10:22 AM

Very good post! I am thankful this year's schedule is modest in its difficulty because there are chances to build belief, confidence as well as identify players who can make a difference. As bad as week one was, it honestly could have been worse! I really look at the Cornell game as a barometer game. At home, their first game, it should be a chance for a win heading to another struggling Ivy, Dartmouth.

Also, they did compete at times under Gilmore with better teams. They also lost a bunch of close games because of a failure to do the little things.

I really don't believe that if Chesney departs after this year, with a 2-3 transfers, Lehigh can't viable in the PL next year. I still think 3-3 is doeable this year.

Back to Colgate, things are ugly in Hamilton! It's a shame! Never did I think I would see both Lehigh and Colgate stink THIS bad for this long. "Rebuild" year within the league? Sure. However, they have bottomed, or darn near bottomed, out as program's by modern day standards, 1970s onward....

rhowdyram
September 7th, 2023, 10:38 AM
CAA posters took a hit when JMU left, they all left this place before they were officially in FBS

The post Keeler era has decimated Delaware fan participation on here but many still on gohens.net

William & Mary 3 or 4

maybe 3 or 4 UNH guys

Maine 2

Rhode 2

Nova maybe 2 or 3, btw where is gangsta …

Stoner Brook had a few but now none

Albany 2 or 3

Elon 2 or so

Nc A&T 1 Aggie

Campbell. None

Towson none for a while

Monmouth 2

For RI we have a pretty active message board and have had one in one form or another since the late 90's/early 00's. I think between URI being so bad for so long and being primarily a basketball school it led to a lot of RI people just staying on our own board and not finding this one.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Agree with others, as social media has killed the message board, specifically Twitter or even Reddit.

I’m not on here much anymore, but do lurk. Partially Lafayette having no so much to brag about recently, partially that I’m very busy, and partially that there are fewer interesting posts/topics to discuss.

Pards Rule
September 8th, 2023, 09:19 AM
For RI we have a pretty active message board and have had one in one form or another since the late 90's/early 00's. I think between URI being so bad for so long and being primarily a basketball school it led to a lot of RI people just staying on our own board and not finding this one.

I have met a few Ram parents here on Long Beach Island (LBI), NJ! One, true, apparently lives on Beach Ave in Brant Beach section, as I saw the RI sticker on the car. And they are a block from 82nd Ave, AKA Rhode Island Ave!!!

Pards Rule
September 8th, 2023, 09:22 AM
I miss Killer Bees from Lafayette. His kid, Brandon Bryant (get it - B's), was on team and grad a good 5-6 years ago. I met him at his house once near me to pick up a parking pass for Army game he couldnt go to.

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2023, 09:36 PM

Pssh, I am still here... kind of. Personally, I have been less enthusiastic about PL football and FCS. Not only has Lafayette stunk, the rest of the PL has not been great. In the 2000s, the lower-middle rung teams could pick-off the top teams if they were not prepared, and the quality of play was seemingly better. You had three teams that were competitive with the top 25 and always flirting with votes. Fordham and Holy Cross have that national cachet but the rest of the league is bunk.

I miss colgate13... have not seen him since like, 2009? Do not miss the the last idiot (ahem indian). I think the main Lehigh guys are still around. Lafayette has lost a ton. Our board culture was killed when the admin made a unilateral, unannounced decision to shut down the board because he simply did not like what some parents were posting. It was during COVID and Lafayette has not been competitive for awhile, plus Garrett offered no hope. I started a new board but many of the key people who contributed have not come back. Bogus shows up like, twice a year. Carney has not.

Sader87
September 12th, 2023, 09:54 PM
The Holy Cross board (Crossports) is pretty active, for an FCS board anyway. Only a few of us there seem to venture off to other boards like this or other school's boards.

That being said, I'd guesstimate the average age of most HC posters has to probably be in the 60's.....we'll see if our recent football success produces more younger posters moving forward.

bonarae
September 12th, 2023, 09:57 PM
The Holy Cross board (Crossports) is pretty active, for an FCS board anyway. Only a few of us there seem to venture off to other boards like this or other school's boards.

That being said, I'd guesstimate the average age of most HC posters has to probably be in the 60's.....we'll see if our recent football success produces more younger posters moving forward.

Ditto for the Ivy League posters on Voy too... xsighx