PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Youngstown State @ Ohio St.

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2023, 07:53 AM
It’s paycheck week for YSU. Watching the Ohio St. - Indiana game they are loaded again this year. Three solid RBs and a 5 star QB. Huge OL. Pro WRs. Tough D. YSU will be cannon fodder. A win for them is don’t have any injuries, pick up that big paycheck and visit a nice Columbus steakhouse on their way out of town.

YSU has a nice group of RBs itself , veteran OL, excellent WRs and an outstanding D. It simply is not the caliber of Ohio State however. They also have no more friendly coaching connections, so OSU will have its foot on the gas pedal. This one will get ugly.

Big YSU group going down for the game. Go Guins !

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2023, 12:09 PM
YSU fans will be treated to a reminder why the Valley has fallen off the recruiting radar. OSU only has two walkons from the Valley - Caffey from Hubbard and DelSignore from Mooney. It used to be fertile ground for several recruits annually from the Valley. No more. Now, YSU continues to waste schollies on local low level talent because solely of local politics, much to their detriment.

King, the transfer from N. Mich. is quietly replacing the returning backup from Liberty, who only because of seniority, was projected as the starter. We also had a peek at two RFR , Whatley and Harris ,who both show great promise. I don’t think they will have much success against the Bucks, but the experience should serve all well for the MVFC schedule. Davidson at QB will also suffer and so long as he doesn’t get hurt! The step up in competition should help his judgement and decisions moving forward.

The bright spot of the opener was YSU special teams who were fantastic. That should be a better matchup for OSU. Game will be televised on the Big 10 Network (BTN). Tickets should be available for fans who travel.

The Yo Show
September 3rd, 2023, 09:23 PM
Score prediction paladin?

Paladin1aa
September 4th, 2023, 04:18 PM
Score prediction paladin?

Im thinking on it. I’ll post but right now don’t see them scoring a TD. Huge talent level difference.

My prediction for Valpo was YSU 42-10. It was 52-10 so I was ball park near. Ohio St. will look to score heavy for rankings. Indiana was decent but everyone expected more than 23 points from the Bucks. Could get very ugly.

The Yo Show
September 4th, 2023, 10:47 PM
I'm thinking 49-10 or somewhere about there. I do think we will score because I think they will put their backups in at some point and we will keep our starters in for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

If Ohio State comes out fired up though, it could get even uglier.

The Yo Show
September 5th, 2023, 05:57 AM
Just an FYI for everyone, WeAreYoungstown is hosting a YSU football twitter spaces tonight from 8 pm - 9 pm covering topics including the win over Valpo and what we can expect this week against Ohio State.

https://twitter.com/WeAreYoungstown/status/1698852457034518641?s=20

Paladin1aa
September 5th, 2023, 12:19 PM
I’m going to say a score of 56- 6 ( 2 FGs). Bucks need a big score for the rankings. Any of their 3 backs are better than any of ours. Their new OL are better than our veteran OL. More important , their D is head and shoulders better than ours and both are very good for our respective level of play. Simple case of being outclassed by a veteran playoff team vs a sometime FCS playoff team.

While OSU will play most of their players, so will YSU. Both will be trying to avoid injury in a meaningless game that may hurt both playoff ambitions.

Paladin1aa
September 6th, 2023, 10:09 AM
This will be the third meeting between YSU and Ohio St. Ohio State won 43-0 in 2008 and 38-6 in 2007. Tressel was OSU coach for both games, so they called off the horses both times. YSU has never scored a TD against OSU. This Ohio St. team will be the best YSU has faced as they project 5 first round draft choices on the team and an additional number in lower rounds. With Ohio State gunning for the playoffs, they will want a high scoring game for ranking purposes.

Game notes show YSU injury free and returning Rushton to start at RB. OSU has an exceptional D this year and so I don’t see a TD score for YSU unless they get awful lucky. Look for OSU to shut down our run game and force numerous errors in the pass game. While I project a Buckeye win of 56-6, it will not diminish my outlook for YSU seasonal success. Many FCS teams play poor FBS teams and keep it respectfully close but Ohio State is an elite program in the hunt for national playoffs or in them , winning a previous title.

Goal is to avoid injury and learn from elite competition to prep for the MVFC. Also YSU picks up a paycheck of $800,000. Make sure you treat the players to a steak at an upscale Columbus steakhouse afterwards. Noon kickoff is on the Big 10 Network (BTN).

The Yo Show
September 6th, 2023, 08:28 PM
This will be the third meeting between YSU and Ohio St. Ohio State won 43-0 in 2008 and 38-6 in 2007. Tressel was OSU coach for both games, so they called off the horses both times. YSU has never scored a TD against OSU. This Ohio St. team will be the best YSU has faced as they project 5 first round draft choices on the team and an additional number in lower rounds. With Ohio State gunning for the playoffs, they will want a high scoring game for ranking purposes.

Game notes show YSU injury free and returning Rushton to start at RB. OSU has an exceptional D this year and so I don’t see a TD score for YSU unless they get awful lucky. Look for OSU to shut down our run game and force numerous errors in the pass game. While I project a Buckeye win of 56-6, it will not diminish my outlook for YSU seasonal success. Many FCS teams play poor FBS teams and keep it respectfully close but Ohio State is an elite program in the hunt for national playoffs or in them , winning a previous title.

Goal is to avoid injury and learn from elite competition to prep for the MVFC. Also YSU picks up a paycheck of $800,000. Make sure you treat the players to a steak at an upscale Columbus steakhouse afterwards. Noon kickoff is on the Big 10 Network (BTN).

How are you quantifying that this is the best Ohio State team that YSU has ever faced? Not saying that is wrong, but I don't know how we could possibly definitively say that. Ohio State won the Big Ten, and played in the National Championship game in 07. Who is to say they even make the CFP this year?

Paladin1aa
September 6th, 2023, 09:15 PM
If you followed Tressel at OSU, he was still recruiting Ohio hard. His succssor scrapped that model and started recruiting nationally for the best players. That has lead to fewer Ohio guys on the team while raising the talent level to be drafted by the Pros. It has become a foot race between Alabama and Ohio St. for most players drafted. The quality level is now quite high at OSU, higher than it was for the Tressel years. Getting beat inNational Championship games caused a change of heart for recruiting. Most services project Ohio State with 5 first round players and a large number in lower rounds. Ohio State has made this jump since Tressel left and while his teams were good, they had nowhere the number of drafted Pros nor quality to teams with now recruited best players nationally instead of simply mostly best Ohio players. States have caught up to Ohio in player quality. Lots of reasons why - population decline in Ohio, schools playing in smaller divisions with weaker opponents, lack of spring football or year round weather for player development, and coaching developed in other states what used to be a strong suit in Ohio. Now California ,Florida, Texas, Georgia and others produce players as good or better than Ohio and in larger numbers from bigger schools with greater competition. Look at recent stars at OSU now dominating in the Pros - the Bosa brothers, the recent string of WRs, DBs, etc. Most from out of state. Day is carrying on Urbans switch to national recruiting leaving more Ohio players,Tressel staple,to other programs as they raised the bar to pursue a national title in the playoffs.

YSU will face a team composed of the best recruits from their respective states and players rated 4-5 stars, in many cases THE Best player from XYZ state. Tressel had nowhere near that talent level THEN.

I think YSU is very decent this year and you are going to see them get their arse kicked by a more talented team than Tressel had. Day will put the pedal to the metal for rankings. YSU is ranked, not nearly high enough in the FCS polls and should do well in the toughest FCS league, but they are going to get steamrolled. Day will not wish hearts and flowers to YSU. He will take no prisoners with a talent loaded team.

Enjoy the game.

Paladin1aa
September 6th, 2023, 09:39 PM
BTW, I follow H.S.football as well pretty closely. In national ranking the last I looked Ohios best team, Division I St. Ed’s was ranked 20th in the nation and only school from Ohio ranked. Over the years when great out of state competition was scheduled by some Ohio powers, they got embarrassed by teams like Good Counsel from Maryland, Trinity from Louisville , Cathredral from Indy, etc. Best showing we have had was a Massillon win over Valdosta, Georgia, the two winningest programs in the country, a few weeks ago.

BTW, we have no YSU players from those programs. We do have a lot of players from D-7,D-6 and D-5 programs- Springfield local, Poland, Struthers, Lakeview, Lowellville, as well as parochial “powers” Mooney and Ursuline, even thought most of them don’t play much or start. We have far better players who ARENT LOCAL.

Paladin1aa
September 8th, 2023, 09:31 AM
I note that the point spread for the Ohio State game has the Bucks favored by 41.5 points. I’m a little high on my prediction but suspect Davidson is going to get picked several times and OSU will shut down YSU run game. Bucks will be trying to run up the score for rankings as they were held to just 23 points by a very good Indiana D team.

ysubigred
September 9th, 2023, 07:57 AM
Game day...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230909/081a066e2b5afd49bddd7091f1da697b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Pretty easy. 71 yd TD pass to Harrison . OSU 7-0

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 11:23 AM
Very impressive. YSU muscles OSU and marches down the field running and passing. Short 1 yd TD run. 7 all.

ysubigred
September 9th, 2023, 11:24 AM
7-7 go guins..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230909/dbad0a3f7898edf24641356e13097691.jpg

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 11:31 AM
Impressive YSU D series. OSU 3 and out.

The Yo Show
September 9th, 2023, 11:32 AM
Let's gooooooo

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 11:40 AM
TD pass. Ohio St. 14-7

ysubigred
September 9th, 2023, 11:47 AM
If I played Ytown I'd throw every pass 20 yds can't cover it 5 years+

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 12:06 PM
OSU run for TD . Bucks 21-7

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 12:24 PM
OSU TD pass.

Bucks 28-7

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 01:30 PM
30 TD run

Ohio St. 35

YSU 7

The Yo Show
September 9th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Holding Ohio State to 7 points in the second half is impressive as hell

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 02:38 PM
YSU played well against a Top 5 program

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2023, 02:41 PM
YSU played well against a Top 5 program

Zero shame in losing 35-7 in the 'Shoe! I'm high on the 'Guins this year! I really think they can do serious damage so long as the injury bug stays away.

I have to think the sports radio stations in Columbus are going to be lighting up asking what is wrong the Buckeyes offense. 58 total points in 2 games? Some would have suggested OSU would approach that in a half vs either Indiana and/or YSU....

BeamMeUp
September 9th, 2023, 02:42 PM
Rush defense once again held their own holding the Buckeyes to 123 yards rushing. Obviously OSU saw the obvious weakness of our team... our pass defense, where they had a big day. But nonetheless I am quite pleased with the effort. OSU postgame shows will likely not be pretty as some were calling this a scrimmage yesterday on the drive down.

The Yo Show
September 9th, 2023, 06:18 PM
Paladin, didn't you think this was gonna be really ugly?

penguinpower
September 9th, 2023, 07:05 PM
The score isn't indicative of how the game was played.. Penguins look legit

Paladin1aa
September 9th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Paladin, didn't you think this was gonna be really ugly?

Yes. Somewhat confirmed watching Day on the sidelines and his after game interview. Indiana was better than expected and Bucks dropped 2 spots in rankings. YSU played well and embarrassed OSU early. They may drop again in the rankings. Ohio St. has a QB problem. Neither has experience and both show failings. Neither is accurate. Bucks were 41.5 point favorites. While the Bucks substituted some , they left most of their starters in for the whole game..

YSU appears better than I thought we were. The veteran OL handled OSUs front and we ran well. Even the pass game was good in spots. We didn’t finish drives for scores but against an annual Top 5 program, we handled them well. This wasn’t some rum dum FBS team. King, as I expected is head and shoulders our best back. The experiment there is over. Davidson was allowed to throw to the sidelines and intermediate patterns where he can have success. Our WRs were not overmatched by OSU. Now to be fair, our D got picked for 35 points , mostly in the pass game but Harrison will be an All pro and their other WRs will play Pro ball as well. Henderson is a phenomenal RB who will star as a Pro. Looking at the rest of our schedule, I see a difficult game with SDSU. Otherwise, we only face the curse of the UNI gym. We can 0lay with anyone in the MVFC otherwise. We are solid both O and D and special teams are special, especially our punter.

In the past, you can say Tressel called off the dogs when we played OSU. Not today. Day was trying to run up the score and couldn’t. They had to work for everything they got. While they limited our score, we moved the ball and at times, very easily. It may be Ohio St. didn’t want to show much before the Notre Dame game. But the game was played and accordingly, we did well. While the score doesn’t show it, our D was outstanding for our level of play. We have a decent D and it will take a special team to attack our pass D well, but most will not have the Pro WRs OSU has.

BTW , we played a lot of backups who also shined against the step up in competition. All in all, I was very surprised and pleased with what I saw. We executed techniques , showed skills and abilities against a Top 5 FBS program. Grade is A-.

penguinpower
September 10th, 2023, 08:42 AM
After looking at the stats in this game, Youngstown played Ohio State even in Q4. Had they not thrown the pick in the end zone in Q3 they may have played them even for the entire second half.

That late hit out of bounds changed the moment of the game. YSU played Ohio State even in Q1 as well. It was the explosive plays in Q 2 that hurt them.

Very happy with what I saw. YSU is legit this year.

penguinpower
September 10th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Here's another item of note.

How many FCS teams can force a team like Ohio State to turn the ball over on downs in Q4?

I will say upfront-Not many.

Ohio State was trying to score. Ryan Day is taking a lot of heat from fans over this game.

Redbird 4th & short
September 10th, 2023, 09:35 AM
I liked YSU before this game .. I like them even more after this game. You guys keep things together and stay healthy, this should be a strong year for you guys ... right now, YSU and SIU looking strong. UNI has had some fluky stuff going on ... but if they don't clean it up, it could be a long season. I still like them, but starting to wonder. Looked at their stats ... the problem is the negative plays. They have a lot, and their opponents don't ... turnovers and TFLs are completely lopsided so far .. granted playing a very tough SOS their first 2 games.

Anyway, YSU looks real so far.

The Yo Show
September 10th, 2023, 09:55 AM
After looking at the stats in this game, Youngstown played Ohio State even in Q4. Had they not thrown the pick in the end zone in Q3 they may have played them even for the entire second half.

That late hit out of bounds changed the moment of the game. YSU played Ohio State even in Q1 as well. It was the explosive plays in Q 2 that hurt them.

Very happy with what I saw. YSU is legit this year.

Even Columbus media is saying that the late hit shouldn't have been called, Devin Brown was caught in the sidelines by another person and the player who barely touched him was slowing down as well (trying too slow down very hard anyway). It should have been a non-call. Officiating was terrible in the game honestly

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2023, 11:10 AM
I’m chuckling as the fans are ripping Day because they didn’t steamroll YSU. He is catching heat like they lost to Mich. lol. In fairness to Ohio St., they are going to annihilate the B1G, but played a very decent Indiana D team on the road in the opener and played a loaded YSU team while they were breaking in lots of new players.

Games are often determined in the trenches and YSU held up well there, especially the OL. I watch YSUs Leigh at LT and he held his own for the most part. He played one year of h.s. Ball and played OSU to a stand-off. The OL blocked a B1G powerhouse for good rushing yds for King ,slightly more than 5 yds a carry. Davidson was not rushed into an INT because he had protection against a Top 5 program. The more I reflect on the aspects of the game, given the competition level, the more I look ahead at the season.

Suddenly the apprehension I had about the season because of the unknowns at RB and QB are addressed against the best team on our schedule. If we stay healthy, should be a big season.

penguinpower
September 10th, 2023, 05:44 PM
I’m chuckling as the fans are ripping Day because they didn’t steamroll YSU. He is catching heat like they lost to Mich. lol. In fairness to Ohio St., they are going to annihilate the B1G, but played a very decent Indiana D team on the road in the opener and played a loaded YSU team while they were breaking in lots of new players.

Games are often determined in the trenches and YSU held up well there, especially the OL. I watch YSUs Leigh at LT and he held his own for the most part. He played one year of h.s. Ball and played OSU to a stand-off. The OL blocked a B1G powerhouse for good rushing yds for King ,slightly more than 5 yds a carry. Davidson was not rushed into an INT because he had protection against a Top 5 program. The more I reflect on the aspects of the game, given the competition level, the more I look ahead at the season.

Suddenly the apprehension I had about the season because of the unknowns at RB and QB are addressed against the best team on our schedule. If we stay healthy, should be a big season.

I told them they should let you back on there, and they removed my post.. censorship is totally Un-American

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2023, 06:20 PM
I told them they should let you back on there, and they removed my post.. censorship is totally Un-American

No big deal. The owner is a jerk and a clown. He is Strollos butt boy. What’s hilarious about him is how he BSs everyone there that he is football smart and posts wild explanations supposedly overcoming others posts he disagrees with. You believe what he says at your own peril. You notice he protects Heacock, a HC who hated recruiting and ran a Tressel Cadillac program down to a Honda with bald tires program when he took over. The owner is an insecure little boy with authoritarian tendencies. The site is poorly run. If people want to be bullied there by him, so be it.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2023, 09:05 PM
And just like that Ohio State drops one spot in the poll to 6th after their win over YSU. A win is a win , even if you looked embarrassed doing it. lol

penguinpower
September 11th, 2023, 04:45 AM
And just like that Ohio State drops one spot in the poll to 6th after their win over YSU. A win is a win , even if you looked embarrassed doing it. lol

All things being equal they should have moved up one spot with Alabama losing. Instead they dropped one spot and Texas and USC leapfrogged them.

In my book they actually dropped 2 spots. They would have been entitled to take the number 4 spot previously held by Florida State with a dominant win. Instead, Texas and USC both jumped them.