PDA

View Full Version : HEY URI FANS

MUHAWKS
August 31st, 2023, 10:12 PM
WHAT THE ACTUAL FK happened on that measurement??? Was it not short? I have seen refs gently tip the ball like an inch in the NFL to see but to my human eye that was short not once but twice????????? Hello????????????

Pards Rule
September 1st, 2023, 07:45 AM
What the hell happened?! Rams won?

rhowdyram
September 1st, 2023, 08:22 AM
WHAT THE ACTUAL FK happened on that measurement??? Was it not short? I have seen refs gently tip the ball like an inch in the NFL to see but to my human eye that was short not once but twice????????? Hello????????????

The runner needed to get to the 37 yard line, he clearly didn't reach the hashmark, I don't even know why they needed to measure in the first place. Then both measurements looked short to me. I don't know though, I'm biased.

Here is video of one of the measurements:

https://twitter.com/kstone06/status/1697435289604505947?s=20

rhowdyram
September 1st, 2023, 08:23 AM
What the hell happened?! Rams won?

No we lost. Some irregularities with a measurement late in the game that if gone the other way would have given us the ball back with a chance to tie.

Pards Rule
September 1st, 2023, 09:34 AM
No we lost. Some irregularities with a measurement late in the game that if gone the other way would have given us the ball back with a chance to tie.
Turkey Bowl 50 years ago this year!

crusader11
September 1st, 2023, 09:41 AM
It's possible the angle of the camera made it appear as if the ball was an inch or so behind the stick, but I don't know, man. That ball looked like it was absolutely behind the line to gain. Bringing the sticks out to measure again was bizarre. What, did they not do it right the first time? Would like to get an explanation from the Sun Belt on this entire sequence.

URI is a nice looking team. Definitely in that 20-25 range, IMO.

KPSUL
September 1st, 2023, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=rhowdyram;3138356]The runner needed to get to the 37 yard line, he clearly didn't reach the hashmark, I don't even know why they needed to measure in the first place. Then both measurements looked short to me. I don't know though, I'm biased.
/QUOTE]

Exactly!

MR. CHICKEN
September 1st, 2023, 11:00 AM

DELAWARE vs E. WASH'INTON 2010 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.......xbawlingx.....BRAWK!

ncaa-title-game-010711. (https://www1.udel.edu/udaily/2011/jan/ncaa-title-game-010711.html)

The top-ranked Eagles (13-2), who captured their first-ever national championship in football with a school-record 11th straight victory, converted a disputed fourth down play deep inside Delaware territory and scored what proved to be the game-winner with 2:47 left when Mitchell hooked up with Brandon Kaufman for an 11-yard touchdown to tie the game and Mike Jarrett's extra point put Eastern Washington ahead.

"We stopped them," said Keeler of the fourth down play. "There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The way the ball was spotted originally was a first down, but the chain was not on the 22-yard line, it was past it. I usually don't complain about things like that but that one hurt. It really did."

POD Knows
September 1st, 2023, 11:45 AM

ncaa-title-game-010711. (https://www1.udel.edu/udaily/2011/jan/ncaa-title-game-010711.html)

The top-ranked Eagles (13-2), who captured their first-ever national championship in football with a school-record 11th straight victory, converted a disputed fourth down play deep inside Delaware territory and scored what proved to be the game-winner with 2:47 left when Mitchell hooked up with Brandon Kaufman for an 11-yard touchdown to tie the game and Mike Jarrett's extra point put Eastern Washington ahead.

"We stopped them," said Keeler of the fourth down play. "There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The way the ball was spotted originally was a first down, but the chain was not on the 22-yard line, it was past it. I usually don't complain about things like that but that one hurt. It really did."
Oh yea, don't get me started on the EWU natty, take a look at the officiating in the NDSU EWU game in Cheney that same year in the playoffs. xmadx

rhowdyram
September 1st, 2023, 12:51 PM

Yup, a big 34-6 win vs Air Force-Europe in Frankfurt, Germany!

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2023, 01:22 PM

I saw the end of that Rhode Island game last night and was pissed and was thinking exactly what you brought up

K C Keeler was 100%

Puddin Tane
September 1st, 2023, 11:47 PM
Hey Rhode Island. Your HC’s son is our offensive coordinator!

we had 3 first downs at halftime…

Puddin Tane
September 1st, 2023, 11:56 PM
And not bashing, just asking

jim fleming…how does he keep his job with a 31-63 record? Just curious

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2023, 07:23 AM
The runner needed to get to the 37 yard line, he clearly didn't reach the hashmark, I don't even know why they needed to measure in the first place. Then both measurements looked short to me. I don't know though, I'm biased.

Here is video of one of the measurements:

https://twitter.com/kstone06/status/1697435289604505947?s=20

Hey Rhowdy - I was going to post this on FCS sightings but saw URI sweatpants on a woman at the Wawa here on Long Beach Island (LBI), NJ this Sat AM. Amazingly driving on the island yesterday here I saw a guy with a Leopards football tshirt so of course had to double back and found out he was a DB for the Pards C.J. Roberts, class of 1992. Anyways spotting that woman this morning I was thinking damn when did we last play the Rams? We would occasionally, but its been a good decade? I never saw a Ram game but recall we put up a valiant effort in Kingstown in 1982 (my junior year) witha 10-0 mid 3rd lead but the heat got to us and we went down 20-10, but other times we beat Rams. Prob 50/50 split as I recall.

TJT
September 2nd, 2023, 08:33 AM
Hey Rhowdy - I was going to post this on FCS sightings but saw URI sweatpants on a woman at the Wawa here on Long Beach Island (LBI), NJ this Sat AM. Amazingly driving on the island yesterday here I saw a guy with a Leopards football tshirt so of course had to double back and found out he was a DB for the Pards C.J. Roberts, class of 1992. Anyways soptting that woman this morning I was thinking damn when did we last play the Rams? We would occasionally, but its been a good decade? I never saw a Ram game but recall we put up a valiant effort in Kingstown in 1982 (my junior year) witha 10-0 mid 3rd lead but the heat got to us and we went down 20-10, but other times we beat Rams. Prob 50/50 split as I recall.

Approximately 50% of URI's undergraduate enrollment of about 14k is from outside RI. Most of these students come from MA, CT, NY, and NJ. Most URI alums ultimately end up in RI (just 42%) and these states upon graduation.

crusader11
September 2nd, 2023, 08:59 AM

Wasn’t URI considering dropping football? Or at least really deemphasizing it with a move to the NEC. It’s not like Joe Trainer left the program in half decent shape either.

I think their administration knows how Fleming was coaching with a hand tied behind his back for much of his time at URI.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2023, 11:17 AM
Approximately 50% of URI's undergraduate enrollment of about 14k is from outside RI. Most of these students come from MA, CT, NY, and NJ. Most URI alums ultimately end up in RI (just 42%) and these states upon graduation.

My former boss at real estate department at Maaco (yes the paint entity), Lou Mancuso (RIP), his son played OL for the Rams he told me. I would presume that array you mentioned is very much the case with UConn and UNH, Maine etc

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2023, 11:20 AM

Yikes! How long he there

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2023, 11:29 AM
I saw the end of that Rhode Island game last night and was pissed and was thinking exactly what you brought up

K C Keeler was 100%

Hen, i watched that game in December - back when championships played in mid December! I dont recall that controversy but I do recall Delaware was up 19-0 at half! I believe first game in Frisco? I went to the 2011 champ game and they had moved it to early Jan 2012 for NDSU vs SHSU. I made friends in Fargo when I went to see Lafayette play at NDSU first game for both teams LDW 2011. We are still friends - he just sent me some BBQ sauce called Big Deck which was started by a former OL for Bison.

KPSUL
September 2nd, 2023, 04:46 PM

I guess that's why his Dad didn't hire him!

KPSUL
September 2nd, 2023, 04:54 PM
Yikes! How long he there

They absolutely sucked his first few year there, but that was nothing new, they were finishing last in the conference years before he got there. In the more recent 5 seasons, 2018 -2022, they've had winning records 4 of 5, and in each of those 4 years they were on the playoff bubble.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2023, 05:51 PM
They absolutely sucked his first few year there, but that was nothing new, they were finishing last in the conference years before he got there. In the more recent 5 seasons, 2018 -2022, they've had winning records 4 of 5, and in each of those 4 years they were on the playoff bubble.

Ok keeper then in my book

rhowdyram
September 8th, 2023, 01:01 PM

He was our offensive coordinator for a while and it sounds like not much has changed since he left.

rhowdyram
September 8th, 2023, 01:06 PM

That was a good question earlier in his tenure. Started 1-11, 1-10, 2-9, 3-8 in his first four years. Went 6-5 in year 5 (2018), which was our first year with a winning record since 2001. I guess the bar was so low that the AD was willing to ride it out. Since the start of the 2018 season he's 24-25 (15-20), which is pretty remarkable for us unfortunately when looking at our history.

rhowdyram
September 8th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Hey Rhowdy - I was going to post this on FCS sightings but saw URI sweatpants on a woman at the Wawa here on Long Beach Island (LBI), NJ this Sat AM. Amazingly driving on the island yesterday here I saw a guy with a Leopards football tshirt so of course had to double back and found out he was a DB for the Pards C.J. Roberts, class of 1992. Anyways spotting that woman this morning I was thinking damn when did we last play the Rams? We would occasionally, but its been a good decade? I never saw a Ram game but recall we put up a valiant effort in Kingstown in 1982 (my junior year) witha 10-0 mid 3rd lead but the heat got to us and we went down 20-10, but other times we beat Rams. Prob 50/50 split as I recall.

According to the URI record book we won all 3 matchups.

LAFAYETTE (3-0)
SEPT. 11, 1982 AWAY W, 20-10
SEPT. 8, 1984 HOME W, 31-10
OCT. 26, 1985 HOME (HC) W, 41-19

Unfortunately for Lafayette you ran into 2 of our best teams in 2 out of our 3 matchups.

rhowdyram
September 8th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Wasn’t URI considering dropping football? Or at least really deemphasizing it with a move to the NEC. It’s not like Joe Trainer left the program in half decent shape either.

I think their administration knows how Fleming was coaching with a hand tied behind his back for much of his time at URI.

Yes, we were going to move to the NEC. We announced 11/22/10 that we would start playing in the NEC starting with the 2013 season. We announced that we would be staying in the CAA on 8/28/12.

Northeastern and Hofstra ended their football programs after the 2009 season, so the CAA was really becoming more and more of a southern conference and we weren't really competitive. But then the CAA added Stony Brook and Albany and lost Old Dominion and Georgia State, so the geography started to make more sense.

Trainer was here from 09-13, so he was here for that whole NEC move/fake out. After the 2010 season we had to start shedding scholarships to get down to the NEC limit, and once we reversed course he didn't have time to really ramp things back up. Trainer didn't turn over a program in good shape, but it's hard to blame him giving the conditions he was working under.

Pards Rule
September 10th, 2023, 08:22 AM
According to the URI record book we won all 3 matchups.

LAFAYETTE (3-0)
SEPT. 11, 1982 AWAY W, 20-10
SEPT. 8, 1984 HOME W, 31-10
OCT. 26, 1985 HOME (HC) W, 41-19

Unfortunately for Lafayette you ran into 2 of our best teams in 2 out of our 3 matchups.
Yeah i stand corrected. I was thinking of Maine. Would LOVE to get to Kingston for a game! We need one again