PDA

View Full Version : 2023 AGS Pick'em Challenge (Week 1)

MTfan4life
August 29th, 2023, 08:50 PM
As none of you know, I have completely switched careers and where I live. Nowadays, I'm swamped, and never have time to do just about anything. I still wanted to run this contest, so it didn't die, though. However, probably to everyone's applause, there will be no tiebreakers, nor bonus questions. Just picks. 30 for 30. Also, no more reminders. Good luck to you all.

Week 1 Picks: https://forms.gle/K16LbXJoZfnh28Rh9

All the games are Saturday games, that's why it's slim pickings.

ElCid
August 29th, 2023, 09:00 PM
Thanks much for your time.

ncspiderfan
August 29th, 2023, 09:19 PM
Good luck on the new career and enjoy the new home place.

Really appreciate you taking time out of what has to be busy times to put this together.

Roamingriz
August 29th, 2023, 10:19 PM
I appreciate you putting this on again thanks 🙏

bonarae
August 29th, 2023, 10:22 PM
In. Another non-AGS pick'em that some of us played in has stopped putting up for this season.

dewey
August 29th, 2023, 11:30 PM
Good luck in the new career and home. I appreciate you leading the charge on this again this year.

I am in.

Dewey

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2023, 12:32 AM
FUBeAR hasn’t played this b4 and decided to give it a whirl. But, being a Bear of very little brain, he is immediately confused.

The directions say… “Pick the winner of each game. Simple as that.”…

OK…but the individual games with radio button pick options say such things as…

“Villanova @ Lehigh*

Villanova by 21+

Any other result”

So…if FUBeAR is just going to “pick the winner” of this game, he may choose Villanova to win (as directed)…but if Villanova only wins by 7, it would seem that fits “Any other result” being the correct choice…even though Villanova is the winner of the game.

Put more directly, FUBeAR believes his question is…Are we picking the Winner or are we picking against the spread?

MTfan4life
August 30th, 2023, 01:47 AM
FUBeAR hasn’t played this b4 and decided to give it a whirl. But, being a Bear of very little brain, he is immediately confused.

The directions say… “Pick the winner of each game. Simple as that.”…

OK…but the individual games with radio button pick options say such things as…

“Villanova @ Lehigh*

Villanova by 21+

Any other result”

So…if FUBeAR is just going to “pick the winner” of this game, he may choose Villanova to win (as directed)…but if Villanova only wins by 7, it would seem that fits “Any other result” being the correct choice…even though Villanova is the winner of the game.

Put more directly, FUBeAR believes his question is…Are we picking the Winner or are we picking against the spread?

The contest has evolved into picking spreads for certain games, especially early on in the season. This is because my intent is to have 30 solid games to pick from and all on Saturday. Early on, it's impossible to get 30 coin flip games without having to resort to spread picking. Don't get confused by the directions. For each game simply pick the option you think sounds as the most likely result.

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2023, 04:43 AM
The contest has evolved into picking spreads for certain games, especially early on in the season. This is because my intent is to have 30 solid games to pick from and all on Saturday. Early on, it's impossible to get 30 coin flip games without having to resort to spread picking. Don't get confused by the directions. For each game simply pick the option you think sounds as the most likely result.
Thanks! IN!!

Is there any prize for getting every pick correct every week of the season?

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2023, 05:45 AM
Congratulations on the new gig MT, AGS appreciates your time and efforts running this competition

JacksFan40
August 30th, 2023, 09:02 AM
In and thank you for doing this, should be a fun year.

POD Knows
August 30th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Thanks a bunch for doing this, also, did you forget to include the point spread for the App State GW game?

MR. CHICKEN
August 30th, 2023, 09:35 AM
PICK #29 GARDNER-WEBB vs APPALACHIAN STATE

JUST SAYS ANY OTHER RESULT WITH NO POINT SPREAD MENTIONED.....AH'M ASSUMIN' THERE SHOULD BE UH POINT SPREAD....OTHERWISE.....IT'S UH PICK 'EM.......xbangx......AWK!

MSUBobcat
August 30th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Appreciate you continuing the game for us. Congrats on the new job. I actually had to look up where Lanark is. I dated a gal from Culbertson for about 5 years and also worked on a drilling rig in NE MT for another 6 years, so I'm very familiar with the area and still had no idea about Lanark.

wapiti
August 30th, 2023, 10:09 AM
As none of you know, I have completely switched careers and where I live. Nowadays, I'm swamped, and never have time to do just about anything. I still wanted to run this contest, so it didn't die, though. However, probably to everyone's applause, there will be no tiebreakers, nor bonus questions. Just picks. 30 for 30. Also, no more reminders. Good luck to you all.

Week 1 Picks: https://forms.gle/K16LbXJoZfnh28Rh9

All the games are Saturday games, that's why it's slim pickings.

In. xsmileyclapx

POD Knows
August 30th, 2023, 10:35 AM
In

The Cats
August 30th, 2023, 02:49 PM
I appreciate your time to do this pick'em

Bisonator
August 30th, 2023, 03:41 PM
In thanks MT!

KPSUL
August 30th, 2023, 05:23 PM
In, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

PICK #29 GARDNER-WEBB vs APPALACHIAN STATE

JUST SAYS ANY OTHER RESULT WITH NO POINT SPREAD MENTIONED.....AH'M ASSUMIN' THERE SHOULD BE UH POINT SPREAD....OTHERWISE.....IT'S UH PICK 'EM.......xbangx......AWK!

He just wanted to make sure that there was at least one game you could get correct.

ncspiderfan
August 30th, 2023, 05:47 PM
I am in

Thanks again for all the efforts with this.

Libertine
August 30th, 2023, 06:27 PM
In

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2023, 08:34 PM
In

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 30th, 2023, 08:39 PM
IN

McNeese75
August 30th, 2023, 10:30 PM
In and Thanks for this

MTfan4life
August 31st, 2023, 01:59 AM
Appreciate you continuing the game for us. Congrats on the new job. I actually had to look up where Lanark is. I dated a gal from Culbertson for about 5 years and also worked on a drilling rig in NE MT for another 6 years, so I'm very familiar with the area and still had no idea about Lanark.

I'm actually teaching in Bainville. I just put Lanark for fun. I grew up in this area, and it was always one of those 0 population towns to use for jokes or reference. It's literally just a sign and a building alongside highway 2 right in the middle of Culbertson and Bainville. Probably was a rail stop way way back in the day or something.

Thanks a bunch for doing this, also, did you forget to include the point spread for the App State GW game?

And yes, I did forget. Too late now. So either a free point for everyone or GW pulls a massive upset for one brave picker!

SeattleCat
August 31st, 2023, 02:03 AM

I'm fairly familiar with that area too, never heard of Lanark. I worked in ND from 2010-2013, oil fields, but as a land surveyor.

mvemjsunpx
August 31st, 2023, 02:34 AM
In

MR. CHICKEN
August 31st, 2023, 07:22 AM
IN

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2023, 07:47 AM
wINg
Sorry - FUBeAR is thinking about his tailgate for the FU game tonight and it’s just what FUBeAR saw in ur post when he glanced at it…maybe it was the spicy Bold type

MR. CHICKEN
August 31st, 2023, 08:37 AM
Sorry - FUBeAR is thinking about his tailgate for the FU game tonight and it’s just what FUBeAR saw in ur post when he glanced at it…maybe it was the spicy Bold type

....UMMM....YER CORNFUSIN'.......DUH....BIG BIRD........FO' GOLDEN IGGLE............🦅.........🐓.........​BRAWK!

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2023, 08:56 AM
....UMMM....YER CORNFUSIN'.......DUH....BIG BIRD........FO' GOLDEN IGGLE............礪..................​BRAWK!Golden Eagle ... Yard Eagle - all the same flavor (so to speak) of bird to FUBeAR.

Next week the MEN with LANCES are huntin' mid-state roosters with owlets the week after that. This OOC-season is FOR THE BIRDS...and the Buffalo sauce, and the celery, and the blue cheese dressing!!!

Maybe we can get some blue lady yardbirds to use those flats and drummies and fly down to Travelers Rest in the Playoffs and pay us that game y'all owe us.

MSUBobcat
August 31st, 2023, 11:12 AM
I'm actually teaching in Bainville. I just put Lanark for fun. I grew up in this area, and it was always one of those 0 population towns to use for jokes or reference. It's literally just a sign and a building alongside highway 2 right in the middle of Culbertson and Bainville. Probably was a rail stop way way back in the day or something.

And yes, I did forget. Too late now. So either a free point for everyone or GW pulls a massive upset for one brave picker!

Ahhh yes... I know Bainville well also. The ex-GF worked at Gracie's for a while so I'd stop in once in a while. Also know the Lanark Rd and building you refer to. I know I drilled at least 1 well off that road. Congrats on coming home.

And I am in.

atthewbon
August 31st, 2023, 11:16 AM
In, thanks for doing this

Carolina010
August 31st, 2023, 10:36 PM
In

ElCid
September 1st, 2023, 11:51 PM
Took me forever, but in.

grizband
September 2nd, 2023, 01:08 AM
In, although I'm late to the party.

Catbooster
September 2nd, 2023, 10:56 AM
Whew! I think I made it barely in time (except the D2 was Thurs?)