PDA

View Full Version : New 6yr MVFC - ESPN TV Announced

nodak651
August 29th, 2023, 10:08 AM
https://twitter.com/ValleyFootball/status/1696531269734338829

The Missouri Valley Football Conference and ESPN have reached a new multimedia rights extension. The agreement will feature national linear and digital exposure for the Conference, beginning with the 2024 football season and extending through the 2029 season. This fall, the Conference and ESPN are entering the final year of their existing multi-year agreement.

“We truly value our relationship with ESPN, and this agreement achieves all of the Conference’s goals we identified at the start of the negotiation process,” said Commissioner Patty Viverito. “It strengthens our relationship with the industry leader, offers broader opportunities for linear exposure, and protects local media rights agreements.”

During the term of the six-year extension, a minimum of nine MVFC games will be featured on ESPN linear networks (ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU), in addition to continuing the eight-game Conference “Game of the Week” digital package on ESPN+, the leading sports streaming service. The MVFC will also deliver additional league contests to air exclusively on ESPN platforms as part of the new agreement.

“The Missouri Valley Football Conference features fantastic programs and outstanding rivalries that we look forward to continuing to highlight across ESPN platforms in the many years ahead as part of our commitment to the coverage of FCS football,” said Dan Margulis, ESPN senior director, programming & acquisitions.

The MVFC retained LEONA Marketing Group to assist with negotiating its agreement with ESPN. The future schedule of games and any corresponding distribution outlets will be announced later.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Didn't see this thread before posting in the MVFC thread but does this mean 9 games on the linear ESPN networks total in 6 years or 9 games per year? If it's the latter, which is what I'm thinking, that's quite the bump in exposure for the league.

UNHWildcat18
August 29th, 2023, 11:35 AM
Meanwhile at the CAA offices -"guys we did it, we got ahead of the curve by making it the coastal conference! Now back to business about adding Norfolk State id UD leaves for FBS........ and OH! Don't forget about the free Pizza party FLO is throwing us this Friday for selecting them as the TV provider! It's coming from our local PIZZA HUT!"

SDFS
August 29th, 2023, 12:02 PM
Didn't see this thread before posting in the MVFC thread but does this mean 9 games on the linear ESPN networks total in 6 years or 9 games per year? If it's the latter, which is what I'm thinking, that's quite the bump in exposure for the league.

Well, if it is 9 per season, I predict lots of games on ESPNu. If it is min of 9 over the life of the contract - then I see a better chance at ESPN or ESPN2 because they would be taking marquee games.

Reign of Terrier
August 29th, 2023, 12:18 PM
How much money we bet is that NDSU or SDSU will be a sizeable number of those games.

MSUBobcat
August 29th, 2023, 12:27 PM

I read it as a minimum of 9 games over the 6 years, i.e. 1.5 marquee games/season, rather than 1 game/weekend for 75% of the regular season. Unless they are going to push Tuesday night games a la MACtion, or Thursday/Friday. There are at most 12 games broadcast across ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU on Saturday (11am, 2:30pm, 6pm and 9:30pm - using Central time zone, since that's where the majority of the MVFC teams are). I think we can agree that the MVFC is never going to occupy the 9:30 time slot, so that leaves no more than 9 slots on Saturday. I don't know how accurate this site (https://www.maizenbrew.com/2022/8/14/23304712/college-football-big-ten-sec-pac-12-big-12-tv-deal-espn-foxcbs-nbc-new-media-deal) is, but if accurate, during this window ESPN would appear to have rights to the SEC, ACC, AAC, Sun Belt, MW and MAC. With that many FBS conferences, including a couple P4, it would seem hard to squeeze in an MVFC game in one of the 9 slots available in 75% of the weeks.

I'm hoping it IS 9 games/year however. Great exposure for the division. I would also hope to continue the Big Sky-MVFC Challenge series so we can catch some of the exposure.

SDFS
August 29th, 2023, 12:29 PM
How much money we bet is that NDSU or SDSU will be a sizeable number of those games.

Hmmm, min of 50% of the games. You might see UNI, ISU, UND or USD sneak into the picture. But, 99% of the games will include one of the Dakota schools.

BeamMeUp
August 29th, 2023, 07:59 PM
It is the former.

Over the six year contract period, there will be a total of 9 games on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. Would imagine they lump those into ESPN2 or ESPNU and do it at a random time slot, like a Friday evening or something along those lines.

”During the term of the six-year extension, a minimum of nine MVFC games will be featured on ESPN linear networks”

The Yo Show
August 29th, 2023, 08:27 PM
I read it as 9 total games over 6 years as well... but in any case, even if that is the answer, that is still good exposure.