PDA

View Full Version : CAA Pick'em 2023 Week Zero

bonarae
August 16th, 2023, 09:48 PM
As you all know, I'll be taking over from Sitting Bull for this season of the CAA Pick'em.

I'll do a separate pick'em for Week Zero 2023.

Here is the game for next Saturday:

Fordham at Albany - 7 PM - FloSports

Also, advise me if I need to include betting lines for the games (e.g. spreads). I cannot access them while at work.

caribbeanhen
August 17th, 2023, 05:53 AM
Here we go

Albany

UNHWildcat18
August 17th, 2023, 06:18 AM
Albany

Thanks again for taking over Bossman

caribbeanhen
August 17th, 2023, 06:23 AM
Albany

Thanks again for taking over Bossman

Right on

and thank you to Sitting Bull for doing it the past 2 years and get well

WestCoastAggie
August 17th, 2023, 08:47 AM
Fordham

KPSUL
August 17th, 2023, 12:15 PM

Fordham @ ALBANY

I don't need betting odds

caribbeanhen
August 17th, 2023, 12:18 PM

Fordham @ ALBANY

I don't need betting odds

Yep, coin flip type of game for me too

and no, I don’t need betting odds either

Dane96
August 17th, 2023, 07:44 PM
Thank you for doing this, and I will start my torture of a season by picking the Great Danes over the Rams.

Alternatively, I could be the first person saddling up to the bar in Crapsville.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2023, 08:28 PM
Elon

UNHWildcat18
August 18th, 2023, 04:35 AM
Elon
What’s your obsession with writing Elon all the time?

centraljerseycat
August 18th, 2023, 01:16 PM
Albany

NY Crusader 2010
August 18th, 2023, 08:18 PM
Fordham

I don't know much about what Albany has returning or where they're expected to finish. They were 3-8 last year. And the Fordham supporters I've spoken with keep telling me not to sleep on the Rams' this year with a lot of talent returning on offense, sans DeMorat of course. So, I'll give the edge to the boys from the Bronx. If they can get decent QB play and their defense improves even somewhat measurably, they will contend in the Patriot again.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 19th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Fordham 31 Albany 27

crusader11
August 19th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Fordham is going to be better than people think. They still have some really good skill players on offense (MJ Wright and Julius Loughridge).

I’m banking they’ll find a QB to run this offense. Going back to John Skelton, they’ve consistently run out some terrific QBs each year. Anderson, Nebrich, DeMorat (think I’m missing one).

So, I’ll be a bit of a PL homer and take Fordham in what will be close to a pick ‘em game, IMO.

The Cats
August 19th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Albany

bonarae
August 19th, 2023, 05:51 PM
Fordham in a shootout.

MR. CHICKEN
August 22nd, 2023, 10:35 PM
ALBANY

Fordham
August 23rd, 2023, 07:29 AM
Love the love from my PL brethren but we’re dogs in this one. Their strong QB and transfer WRs play right into our weakness at DB. Could be a shootout but the fact that last year’s team only won by 3 makes me concerned. I think Albany got better and I can’t say that we have, only because we lost some all time great players in Demorat, Greenhagen, Coste …

Can’t wait to see what Montes brings at QB but until I see what the new DC has done, I have trouble seeing us winning this one

caribbeanhen
August 23rd, 2023, 08:27 AM
Love the love from my PL brethren but we’re dogs in this one. Their strong QB and transfer WRs play right into our weakness at DB. Could be a shootout but the fact that last year’s team only won by 3 makes me concerned. I think Albany got better and I can’t say that we have, only because we lost some all time great players in Demorat, Greenhagen, Coste …

Can’t wait to see what Montes brings at QB but until I see what the new DC has done, I have trouble seeing us winning this one

Yes but Albany always seems to find a way to lose close games

McCowboys
August 23rd, 2023, 09:48 AM
As you all know, I'll be taking over from Sitting Bull for this season of the CAA Pick'em.

I'll do a separate pick'em for Week Zero 2023.

Here is the game for next Saturday:

Fordham at Albany - 7 PM - FloSports

Also, advise me if I need to include betting lines for the games (e.g. spreads). I cannot access them while at work.

I can teach you how to do a poll. :D

caribbeanhen
August 23rd, 2023, 11:20 AM
Well I guess it’s time to sign up for Flo

cup a coffee probably doubled from last year

KPSUL
August 23rd, 2023, 12:16 PM

$14.99 per month, or $99 for the whole year if you happen to watch other CAA Sports. I think the annual fee stayed the same but the monthly went up, maybe 2 bucks?

UNHWildcat18
August 23rd, 2023, 01:04 PM

it’s so annoying seeing the 2/3 FCS games being ESPN and CBS….then sadly seeing Albany Fordham having nothing listed…. **** Flo

TribeNomad1
August 23rd, 2023, 01:08 PM
it’s so annoying seeing the 2/3 FCS games being ESPN and CBS….then sadly seeing Albany Fordham having nothing listed…. **** Flo

Really sucks. Good or bad, it means fans outside of CAA do not get to see CAA games. I enjoy watching other FCS games on ESPN+

crusader11
August 23rd, 2023, 01:57 PM
Really sucks. Good or bad, it means fans outside of CAA do not get to see CAA games. I enjoy watching other FCS games on ESPN+

Some sickos, myself included, will sacrifice a few drinks a month at my local watering hole for Flo.

TribeNomad1
August 23rd, 2023, 02:14 PM
Some sickos, myself included, will sacrifice a few drinks a month at my local watering hole for Flo.

It is the principle....their broadcasts often suck.

The CAA Commish (he just extended the Flo deal) also sucks. He made a visit to a WM practice a few weeks ago and they photo'd him in a WM uni, on the field, assuming a playing position. I did not note the heading and was wondering how we recruited such a small, pale and pudgy player. Then I saw the heading and understood.

Tribe4SF
August 23rd, 2023, 02:20 PM
It is the principle....their broadcasts often suck.

The CAA Commish (he just extended the Flo deal) also sucks. He made a visit to a WM practice a few weeks ago and they photo'd him in a WM uni, on the field, assuming a playing position. I did not note the heading and was wondering how we recruited such a small, pale and pudgy player. Then I saw the heading and understood.

The Commish actually won me over a bit that day. He participated in the full practice and it was hot. Stuck it out and never stopped.

caribbeanhen
August 23rd, 2023, 02:58 PM
$14.99 per month, or $99 for the whole year if you happen to watch other CAA Sports. I think the annual fee stayed the same but the monthly went up, maybe 2 bucks?

Thanks, about what I expected. I don’t really watch other CAA sports but noticed after cancellation you can kind of watch hoops, not that I wanted to.

And yep, Flo has pretty much guaranteed that only CAA fans will watch CAA games, for now anyway.

crusader11
August 23rd, 2023, 03:12 PM
Kickback from Flo to someone in the CAA office?

Fordham
August 24th, 2023, 08:49 AM
wtf is "flo football" and why is that the only way I can watch Albany & Stony Brook this year if I don't go in person? CAA, what have you done?!

bonarae
August 24th, 2023, 05:39 PM
wtf is "flo football" and why is that the only way I can watch Albany & Stony Brook this year if I don't go in person? CAA, what have you done?!

Flo sucks, period. I don't think they also have international options... xsighx

Live stats don't work for you?

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 24th, 2023, 07:12 PM
I am done with Flo based on 5 home games that I will be at and Maine's first two games are on ESPN+ and just the fact that the CAA renewed again with them.
Of course if by some miracle Maine won a couple games that would change my mind(LOL)
Best news from Maine is that last years QB Joe Fagnano just got named the starting QB at UConn, just another kick in the nuts for Maine.xdrunkyx And just to knife he deeper the OC for UConn was Maine's coach 2 years ago, just a coindcidence Fagnano went to UConn.
https://www.fox61.com/video/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/uconn-football/uconn-football-announces-new-starting-quarterback-for-upcoming-season/520-6eeebb9b-89bf-4d23-a9a3-201d64cc5b12

Fordam beats the Danes

GoBlueHens83
August 24th, 2023, 07:12 PM
Fordham

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2023, 07:20 PM

Better just make the drive

UAalum72
August 24th, 2023, 09:15 PM
Better just make the driveOK, but Saturday is both Travers Day and a Phish concert in Saratoga, so I-87 may be a lot busier than usual depending on when you arrive.

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2023, 10:46 PM
OK, but Saturday is both Travers Day and a Phish concert in Saratoga, so I-87 may be a lot busier than usual depending on when you arrive.

Saratoga? What if I take my Learjet to see the total eclipse of the sun?

MRuler
August 25th, 2023, 08:13 AM
Saratoga? What if I take my Learjet to see the total eclipse of the sun?

Now that is funny!!!

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2023, 08:25 AM
Now that is funny!!!

I have better ones but that one was overt

FUBeAR
August 25th, 2023, 12:08 PM
Now that is funny!!!
Funny cuz he was supposed to be tryna get to Nova Scotia?

KPSUL
August 25th, 2023, 01:41 PM

Correct, Saratoga was where "his horse naturally won". The eclipse was viewed from Novia Scotia.

Today's FCS Trivia question. What two time Robinson award winning head coach was born in Saratoga Springs, NY ?

crusader11
August 25th, 2023, 02:09 PM
Who is Sean McDonnell.

KPSUL
August 25th, 2023, 03:15 PM
Who is Sean McDonnell.

You must be a Jeopardy fan!

RichH2
August 25th, 2023, 03:28 PM
Fordham in a shootout.

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Just gauging who’s paying attention and over 60

FUBeAR
August 25th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Just gauging who’s paying attention and over 60
...and remember when Carly was HOT!

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 07:06 AM
Well Albany looked pretty good last night. The QB is good enough for FBS right now, will be interesting to see if he stays at Albany.

what we don’t know yet is if Albany is good enough to contend for playoff berth, but with the talented Reese Poffenbarger, it’s very possible

The CAA just got a little more interesting and Hawaii is saying …. Hmmmmm we have a problem here

MUHAWKS
August 27th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Well Albany looked pretty good last night. The QB is good enough for FBS right now, will be interesting to see if he stays at Albany.

what we don’t know yet is if Albany is good enough to contend for playoff berth, but with the talented Reese Poffenbarger, it’s very possible

The CAA just got a little more interesting and Hawaii is saying …. Hmmmmm we have a problem here

This is a bit shocking coming from you, who I consider to often be a sober, non emotional poster. Fordham is NOT a good football team. They had a horrible defense last year and lost perhaps the best QB in FCS. This "perception is reality" thing really gets to some people I see. I will give you that Albany looked decent, but again, against who? Is Albany QB your family? You seem to like him a lot. He is good. Albany has always had good players and athletes. Not sure how the CAA got more interesting b/c Albany beat a not very good Fordham team that they should beat. Unless you thought Albany was trash which I did not. I opined in another thread (and you replied) that Albany can you on maybe beat the Rainbows. But I am surprised everyone held Fordham in such esteem coming into this.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 08:10 AM
This is a bit shocking coming from you, who I consider to often be a sober, non emotional poster. Fordham is NOT a good football team. They had a horrible defense last year and lost perhaps the best QB in FCS. This "perception is reality" thing really gets to some people I see. I will give you that Albany looked decent, but again, against who? Is Albany QB your family? You seem to like him a lot. He is good. Albany has always had good players and athletes. Not sure how the CAA got more interesting b/c Albany beat a not very good Fordham team that they should beat. Unless you thought Albany was trash which I did not. I opined in another thread (and you replied) that Albany can you on maybe beat the Rainbows. But I am surprised everyone held Fordham in such esteem coming into this.

MUHAWKS you make a good point about the Fordham D, not everyone held them in high regard though. Albany can only play the teams on their schedule. I did think Fordy D looked pretty physical early in game though

sober non emotional poster? You’re killing me 😂 … I’m truly flattered you’ve even reading my posts

I have no reason in the world to do an Albany Promo, but the quarterback is good and no it’s not a family member. He’s the kind of talent that can lift an average team into contention with his playmaking abilities and he will also make the Albany coaches look smarter

MRuler
August 27th, 2023, 08:12 AM
Never want to read too much into one game. I was more impressed with UA's D! 9 sacks, no deep balls, poor execution/muffed catches on punt returns, all the things that killed us a year ago. Albany handled Fordham fairly easily except for the one drive. Always knew Poff was an outstanding QB and will always be a threat to run (he is much faster than I thought) we have some outstanding WR's that get YAC. It looks like or DB's are much improved.

How good is Fordham? Dont know. According to some we were a joke of a team last year and lost to Fordham's best team in decades last year by 3. And beat them soundly this year...who knows. Going forward I think will be better than 3-8. If we can gut a win out in Hawaii we could be the Cinderella in CAA. A 6 or 7 win season would be a huge success this season.

Stay tuned.

MR. CHICKEN
August 27th, 2023, 08:19 AM
Never want to read too much into one game. I was more impressed with UA's D! 9 sacks, no deep balls, poor execution/muffed catches on punt returns, all the things that killed us a year ago. Albany handled Fordham fairly easily except for the one drive. Always knew Poff was an outstanding QB and will always be a threat to run (he is much faster than I thought) we have some outstanding WR's that get YAC. It looks like or DB's are much improved.

How good is Fordham? Dont know. According to some we were a joke of a team last year and lost to Fordham's best team in decades last year by 3. And beat them soundly this year...who knows. Going forward I think will be better than 3-8. If we can gut a win out in Hawaii we could be the Cinderella in CAA. A 6 or 7 win season would be a huge success this season.

Stay tuned.

.....DON'T OVERLOOK MARSHALL....THEY'RE RANKED 109...IN FBS......SO...REECE'S PIECES.....HAVE UH CHANCE...........BRAWK!

MUHAWKS
August 27th, 2023, 08:29 AM
MUHAWKS you make a good point about the Fordham D, not everyone held them in high regard though. Albany can only play the teams on their schedule. I did think Fordy D looked pretty physical early in game though

sober non emotional poster? You’re killing me  … I’m truly flattered you’ve even reading my posts

I have no reason in the world to do an Albany Promo, but the quarterback is good and no it’s not a family member. He’s the kind of talent that can lift an average team into contention with his playmaking abilities and he will also make the Albany coaches look smarter

I agree on QB - he is NOT like a Demorat who just needs a pocket and can throw it 50 yards on a dime. He can do those things well enough but his skills are like throwing on run extending plays, running, getting out of trouble to go along with a good arm and capable pocket passer and all that adds up to a very annoying guy to defend. Of course can only play games on their schedule, but I just think Had Albany beat Lehigh 34-13 or St Francis 34-13 people would be less optimistic. I think people went in thinking it was last years Fordham with just a little less at QB. Last years Fordham was a crap Defense and one of the best QB's in FCS. There is a solid chance Fordham is a 5-6/6-5 team who never even approaches 40 points in a PL game other than The Hoyas. Albay lost 5 games in both 2021 and 2022 by 1 score or less, did not embarass themselves against ND State ad always has good players so I guess all I am saying is- I saw what I expected to see. Albany is always a tough out and just has not been able to win close games. Last year Fordham was a perfect storm. With that said I think Albany will be the same as always- good enough to be good, not good enough to automatically be good - I am always scared to play them going back to the NEC days.

wmmii
August 27th, 2023, 08:42 AM
Fordham

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 08:47 AM
I agree on QB - he is NOT like a Demorat who just needs a pocket and can throw it 50 yards on a dime. He can do those things well enough but his skills are like throwing on run extending plays, running, getting out of trouble to go along with a good arm and capable pocket passer and all that adds up to a very annoying guy to defend. Of course can only play games on their schedule, but I just think Had Albany beat Lehigh 34-13 or St Francis 34-13 people would be less optimistic. I think people went in thinking it was last years Fordham with just a little less at QB. Last years Fordham was a crap Defense and one of the best QB's in FCS. There is a solid chance Fordham is a 5-6/6-5 team who never even approaches 40 points in a PL game other than The Hoyas. Albay lost 5 games in both 2021 and 2022 by 1 score or less, did not embarass themselves against ND State ad always has good players so I guess all I am saying is- I saw what I expected to see. Albany is always a tough out and just has not been able to win close games. Last year Fordham was a perfect storm. With that said I think Albany will be the same as always- good enough to be good, not good enough to automatically be good - I am always scared to play them going back to the NEC days.

I pretty much agree with all of that especially your comments on the QBs

I thought game would be close as Albany never seems to have easy ones.

KPSUL
August 27th, 2023, 08:57 AM
I don't think it makes any sense to play two FBS opponents in the same season (even if they are mediocre P5s) - particular for a team like Albany striving to get back to playoff form. Ask the Maine Black Bear fans.

As far as the early season 2023 Fordham team, they not only lost an outstanding QB, they also lost an excellent RB in Trey Snead. And on top of that, they lost a very effective OC, Kevin Decker, who moved to FBS ODU. The offense we saw yesterday was a shadow of what was on the field last season.

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 27th, 2023, 07:43 PM
I don't think it makes any sense to play two FBS opponents in the same season (even if they are mediocre P5s) - particular for a team like Albany striving to get back to playoff form. Ask the Maine Black Bear fans.

As far as the early season 2023 Fordham team, they not only lost an outstanding QB, they also lost an excellent RB in Trey Snead. And on top of that, they lost a very effective OC, Kevin Decker, who moved to FBS ODU. The offense we saw yesterday was a shadow of what was on the field last season.

Looks like 23/24 will only have one FBS team but unfortunatley we get NDSU this year and Montana State next year. But yes Maine fans have hated playing 2 FBS teams but have been lead to believe we needed to do it to keep the program going for financial stability.

NY Crusader 2010
August 27th, 2023, 07:48 PM

One of their FBS opponents is Hawaii. When you play at Hawaii, you get the benefit of being allowed to play 12 games. So Albany still should win 2 non-conference games with Morgan State following Marshall and Hawaii.

Dane96
August 27th, 2023, 07:59 PM
One of their FBS opponents is Hawaii. When you play at Hawaii, you get the benefit of being allowed to play 12 games. So Albany still should win 2 non-conference games with Morgan State following Marshall and Hawaii.

Exactly. Albany NEVER plays two FBS games, and you likely won't see them playing two in each season. Great opportunity to go to Hawaii for the kids, and if you have the extra game, might as well get the payout by playing an FBS. And for those keeping track at home, the Hawaii game isn't a huge payday, so the Marshall game helps.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 08:40 PM
Looks like 23/24 will only have one FBS team but unfortunatley we get NDSU this year and Montana State next year. But yes Maine fans have hated playing 2 FBS teams but have been lead to believe we needed to do it to keep the program going for financial stability.

What happened to your sugar bear ? Alford?

KPSUL
August 27th, 2023, 08:43 PM

Will you get a return home game with NDSU and MT State or are they essentially $$ games as well?

MR. CHICKEN
August 27th, 2023, 09:45 PM

.....MARSHALL IS RANKED 109 IN FBS.........HAWAII 114.....WHIFF OWNLAH 3 RETURNIN' ON OFFENSE.......WHAA NOT SHOOT FO' FOUR.....&...UH #1 SEED.........BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
August 27th, 2023, 10:15 PM
Will you get a return home game with NDSU and MT State or are they essentially $$ games as well?

PER WIKIPEDIA..........AWK!

MAINE OOC [email protected]./@N.DAKOTA STATE/L.I.U.
MAINE OOC 2024=COLGATE/@MONTANA STATE/@OKLAHOMA
MAINE OOC 2025=@GEORGIA SOUTHERN
MAINE OOC 2026=@BOSTON COLLEGE
MAINE OOC 2030=@BOSTON COLLEGE
NONE LISTED 2027/28/29...................YOU'D UH THUNK....IFIN' DEY'RE WERE RETURNS.......THEY'D APPEAR IN THESE TIME FRAMES.....(2025-2030).....AH'M GOIN' WHIFF....$$ GAMES......BRAWK!

.....OWN-LAH SKOOLS....LIKE UD/NH/WM-MARY......COOD MAKE H/H's...WORFF WHILE....FO'....TUMBLEWEEDERS.........DOODLE-DOO!

......OOOPSIE.....AH THINK TOWSON DID IT...BAWK!

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 28th, 2023, 10:05 AM
Can't make heads of tails of chicken discussion but NDSU and Montana State are just at their place but don't think the payout was that great compared to Oklahoma at $625K.
The Alfond money was all facility related and upgrades done to new womens softball and field hockey fields and ice hockey rink improvements, the new basketball arena and improvements to football have not happened yet.

KPSUL
August 28th, 2023, 12:50 PM
Can't make heads of tails of chicken discussion but NDSU and Montana State are just at their place but don't think the payout was that great compared to Oklahoma at $625K.
The Alfond money was all facility related and upgrades done to new womens softball and field hockey fields and ice hockey rink improvements, the new basketball arena and improvements to football have not happened yet.

The Oklahoma payday seems higher than anything UNH has ever earned from an FBS game, although we've never play a name as big as Oklahoma. I wonder how much Notre Dame, in their 1st ever FCS matchup this Saturday, is paying TN State to come up to South Bend for an ass-whup'n.

I don't think we'd ever play another FCS team without the offer of a return home game. I also don't think NDSU or Montana St. would draw as big a home crowd as playing regional OOC competition like Dartmouth, Holy Cross or Harvard.

KPSUL
August 28th, 2023, 01:02 PM

Here's my translation of Mr. Chicken's post: " Based on Wikipedia, there are no games scheduled between U of Maine and any FCS programs from the upper mid-west through 2030. Based on that I assume the games vs NDSU and MT State are money games. The only CAA schools that could likely get a home and home vs Dakota and Montana FCS powerhouses are Delaware, UNH or William and Mary. Oops, wait a minute, Towson just did it recently"

You should learn Chicken-speak, Mr. Chicken posts some very accurate and on point FCS pearls of wisdom! He can also slap you silly and you won't even know it.

MR. CHICKEN
August 28th, 2023, 01:02 PM
The Oklahoma payday seems higher than anything UNH has ever earned from an FBS game, although we've never play a name as big as Oklahoma. I wonder how much Notre Dame, in their 1st ever FCS matchup this Saturday, is paying TN State to come up to South Bend for an ass-whup'n.

I don't think we'd ever play another FCS team without the offer of a return home game. I also don't think NDSU or Montana St. would draw as big a home crowd as playing regional OOC competition like Dartmouth, Holy Cross or Harvard.

.....DUH BEER PONG TOURNEY...ON CLEVELAND AVE....OUTDREW....DUH WORLD FAMOUS.....BIZONSSSSS....VISIT....TA NEW-ARK...xsighx....BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2023, 08:05 AM

sober non emotional poster? You’re killing me  … I’m truly flattered you’ve even reading my posts

A look back to August 27th…. I love it and I do believe MUHAWKS might have cashed in last night on Poff The Magic Dragon

What I didn’t know back in August was how solid Albany was top to bottom. It’s just not that QB