PDA

View Full Version : Payton

JDC325
November 27th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Who should be named the best offensive player?

Here are some hints!

VIDEO (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wOfVreEXJM4)

Jayson Foster set an all-division NCAA record for quarterbacks this season with 1,844 yards rushing.

His 3,047 yards of total offense established a new Georgia Southern record, breaking the mark of College Football Hall of Famer Tracy Ham .

http://images.sportsnetwork.com/cfoot/1aa/2007/foster_jayson200.jpg

bamamountaineer1013
November 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Foster is just too amazing of a player to not win this.

asu3peat
November 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Fosdawg is too dynamic!!! Hope to see him on Sundays.

appfan2008
November 27th, 2007, 09:29 AM
shouldnt even be close... foster all the way

ysubigred
November 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I like Hill from SIU!! Shame they don't see it my way xbawlingx

ButlerGSU
November 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Foster is the man!

http://www.gsufans.com/gallery/1_26_11_07_6_27_17.jpg

GaSouthern
November 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Foster this year, expect Edwards to get it next year.

JDC325
November 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Foster this year, expect Edwards to get it next year.

No doubt if he can stay healthy.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I voted for the underdog, I'm the one. Oh well, Foster should win it and I expect him to.

asknoquarter21
November 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM
foster is going to win it...and the way he played against us this year(APP) i would love for him to be drafted by the washington redskins

I want them to draft Corey Lynch as well...

maybe 2 late round picks

RIP Sean Taylor

Eight Legger
November 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM
How Omar Cuff could score almost 40 touchdowns in one season and not even be considered one of the best three players in I-AA is beyond me. Not to mention that two of the three finalists did not even lead their teams to the playoffs?! Absurd.

ElonPride
November 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Foster should be the winner, hands down......

but honestly, why didn't we see Scott Riddle's name on the list for Payton candidates throughout the season?

346-508
3,817 passing yards
31 passing Tds
9 Rushing Tds
68.1 completion percentage
347 passing yards per game
9 Straight games with 300+ passing yards (SoCon Record)
40 Tds responsible for (SoCon record)
Helped lead Elon to its first winning season since 2000......
xeekx

KJ Eagle
November 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
How Omar Cuff could score almost 40 touchdowns in one season and not even be considered one of the best three players in I-AA is beyond me. Not to mention that two of the three finalists did not even lead their teams to the playoffs?! Absurd.

The vote isn't for the best playoff participant. It's the best overall offensive player. So by your logic, McFadden and Tebow don't deserve recognition and possibly winning the Heisman??? They didn't even win their own conference. How could they be the best players, tight? xconfusedx

JDC325
November 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Foster should be the winner, hands down......

but honestly, why didn't we see Scott Riddle's name on the list for Payton candidates throughout the season?

346-508
3,817 passing yards
31 passing Tds
9 Rushing Tds
68.1 completion percentage
347 passing yards per game
9 Straight games with 300+ passing yards (SoCon Record)
40 Tds responsible for (SoCon record)
Helped lead Elon to its first winning season since 2000......
xeekx

Next year for sure. I think upperclassmen are always given more consideration in any award.

UMass922
November 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Foster would get my vote, but seriously, you need to put a few more names up there. It doesn't seem like you cared much about giving us a comprehensive list. Where's Nick Hill? Omar Cuff? Scott Riddle? Mike McLeod? Methinks your main purpose was for this to be a Jayson Foster appreciation thread . . .

JDC325
November 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM

ONE player never leads their teams to the playoffs. ONE committee can though.

JDC325
November 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Foster would get my vote, but seriously, you need to put a few more names up there. It doesn't seem like you cared much about giving us a comprehensive list. Where's Nick Hill? Omar Cuff? Mike McLeod? Methinks your main purpose was for this to be a Jayson Foster appreciation thread . . .

It just is turning out that way because most people see him as the favorite. It is not close in most peoples eyes. So far....xthumbsupx Polls are still open.

UMass922
November 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM

GSU's not making the playoffs was in spite of Jayson Foster, not because of him. This is an individual award, not a team award. There already are team awards/recognitions for team achievement--i.e., conference championships, playoff berths, the national championship. The Payton is supposed to go to the best offensive player in the division, period. (But yes, there needed to be a lot more names up there.)

DetroitFlyer
November 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Nice to see the SOCON contingent come out to support the guy that will finish second in my opinion!

Josh Johnson wins hands down. It will not be close.

Foster in at a distant #2. Sorry SOCON fans, it ain't gonna happen!

Sanders a very distant #3.

As to NFL draft order, JJ goes in the 4th round. Foster, maybe 6th or 7th, more than likely a FA. Sanders, Canada or the AFL.... ( Maybe the new league that is forming ).

UMass922
November 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM
It just is turning out that way because most people see him as the favorite. It is not close in most peoples eyes. So far....xthumbsupx Polls are still open.

It's just that you're allowed to list up to ten options, so why not use all of them? Always better to err on the side of inclusiveness, IMHO.

MR. CHICKEN
November 27th, 2007, 10:47 AM
LET US IMAGINE........SAN DIEGO'S LITE SKED.......KEEPS DEM UN-PLAYOFF ELIGIBLE.......HOWEVERAH.........PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENT.....ALLOWED....HHMMMMM........xconfuse dx xconfusedx xconfusedx

OH BRUTTER...OMAR.......xsmhx

JDC325
November 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM
It's just that you're allowed to list up to ten options, so why not use all of them? Always better to err on the side of inclusiveness, IMHO.

There are only three finalist and percieved snubs! What other option do you want?

MR. CHICKEN
November 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
LET US IMAGINE.....HOW......SAN DIEGO.....IS UN-PLAYOFF WORTHY.....AGIN'......TEAMS-LITE............BUT.....PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENT.......AGIN'.........TEAMS-LITE..........GETS HONORED........HHMMMMMM......xconfusedx

OH BRUTTER.........SHAKE IT OFF OMAR.....YER OWN CONFERENCE STIFFED YA.......AS WELL.......:(.....BRAWK!

GoWildcats789
November 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
As to NFL draft order, JJ goes in the 4th round. Foster, maybe 6th or 7th, more than likely a FA. Sanders, Canada or the AFL.... ( Maybe the new league that is forming ).

lmao

Joe Flacco, Josh Johnsen, Ricky Santos will be the FCS QBs who are drafted... maybe that order too.. i agree Sanders will not be drafted

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2007, 10:55 AM
He only listed the 3 finalists.
At this point why include anyone else?

asknoquarter21
November 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
its down to those 3 finalists:

Georgia Southern's Jayson Foster
San Diego's Josh Johnson
Eric Sanders of Northern Iowa

Omar Cuff got 4th
Ricky Santos 5th
Nick Hill 6th
Tim Hightower 7th
Tyler Roehl 8th
Mike McLeod 9th
Kevin Richardson 10th

DetroitFlyer
November 27th, 2007, 11:02 AM
lmao

Joe Flacco, Josh Johnsen, Ricky Santos will be the FCS QBs who are drafted... maybe that order too.. i agree Sanders will not be drafted

Agreed!

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM
LET US IMAGINE.....HOW......SAN DIEGO.....IS UN-PLAYOFF WORTHY.....AGIN'......TEAMS-LITE............BUT.....PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENT.......AGIN'.........TEAMS-LITE..........GETS HONORED........HHMMMMMM......xconfusedx

OH BRUTTER.........SHAKE IT OFF OMAR.....YER OWN CONFERENCE STIFFED YA.......AS WELL.......:(.....BRAWK!

I think Omar had the same problem Santos had 2 years ago.
Flacco may have taken some of his votes....just as Ball did with Rick.

It's difficult for 1 of 2 superstars on any one team to win an award like this one.

Thundering_Herd
November 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Foster,...period.

USDFAN_55
November 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM
The last time we had a Payton poll everyone voted for Cuff.... thinking he was a lock for the award. Here's to hoping you all are wrong again on this onexnodx

MR. CHICKEN
November 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM
its down to those 3 finalists:

Georgia Southern's Jayson Foster
San Diego's Josh Johnson
Eric Sanders of Northern Iowa

Omar Cuff got 4th
Ricky Santos 5th
Nick Hill 6th
Tim Hightower 7th
Tyler Roehl 8th
Mike McLeod 9th
Kevin Richardson 10th

'CORDIN' TA COLLEGESPORTINGNEWS.COM..........KEB' RICHARDSON....IS LISTED AS 32 AMONST SCORERS?

47 AMONGST RUSHERS?..........DIS WARRANTS TOP TENxconfusedx

WHO VOTED KEB' IN...........APPALACHIAN STATE TD CLUB.....O' MAYBEAH.......PHI KAPPA GAMMA LAMMA DAMMA DING DONG.....LADIES SORORITY......BRAWKETTES!

OH BRUTTER.......OOOOHH BRUTTERxsmhx

UMass922
November 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM
There are only three finalist and percieved snubs! What other option do you want?

My bad. I didn't realize that they'd officially named the three finalists. Sorry 'bout that.

Laserlips
November 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM
FWIW:

I'm a GSU homer who has had the privilege to watch Jayson do his magic for the Eagles his whole career.. So, yep, I'm pulling for him to win.

But folks, everything has a degree of "politics" to it, so I don't for one moment consider my man Jayson a shoo-in..

What is so amazing is that Jayson has done so much in basically three years.. If the idiot BVGoober had recognized any talent other than his own (mistakenly) Jayson would have much higher records now than he has.. Jayson was severely underused while the Goober was throwing the GSU football program under the bus in a quest to change the offense at GSU to something that would get HIM a 1A job down the road....

Funny... All sorts of 1A jobs out there now and I haven't heard one peep about our ex-head coach BVGoober being considered for any of them.... Karma is a wonderful thing..

JMOFO

J.Pomeroy

mvemjsunpx
November 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM
In my opinion Josh Johnson should win the Payton. Though the schedule is weaker, he put up numbers that haven't been seen before. Steve McNair won the Payton with weaker opponents as well, though that was 13 years ago. Josh Johnson leads the nation in both passing efficiency & total offense.

He has an insane 43 TD passes to only 1 INT.

douglasdmb
November 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM
In my opinion Josh Johnson should win the Payton. Though the schedule is weaker, he put up numbers that haven't been seen before. Steve McNair won the Payton with weaker opponents as well, though that was 13 years ago. Josh Johnson leads the nation in both passing efficiency & total offense.

He has an insane 43 TD passes to only 1 INT.

And 726 yards rushing on 101 carries (7.2 ypc) to boot. I don't know if he deserves to win, but he for sure deserves to be a finalist with these numbers.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 27th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I don't see the Payton going to someone from San Diego...

Foster deserves to win. He has been the most amazing player I have ever watched. You can hear the whole stadium hold their breath when he takes off, because you know there is a good chance he will only stop after scoring 6.

mvemjsunpx
November 28th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I don't see the Payton going to someone from San Diego...

Foster deserves to win. He has been the most amazing player I have ever watched. You can hear the whole stadium hold their breath when he takes off, because you know there is a good chance he will only stop after scoring 6.

I don't think it will go to Johnson, either, but it should. I'm guessing it will go to Sanders since his team made the playoffs.

Eagle22
November 28th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I don't think it will go to Johnson, either, but it should. I'm guessing it will go to Sanders since his team made the playoffs.

Jerry Azumah won the Payton in 1998, without his team making the playoffs. As a matter of fact, UNH didn't even have a winning record that year.

Not saying it won't be Sanders at the end of the day, but San Diego and Georgia Southern's exclusion from the playoffs doesn't prevent Johnson or Foster from winning the Payton.

Eagle22
November 28th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Jerry Azumah won the Payton in 1998, and UNH not only missed the playoffs ...they didn't have a winning record.

San Diego and Georgia Southern's absence from the playoff field does not prevent Johnson or Foster from winning ...

JDC325
November 29th, 2007, 06:35 PM
WOW landslide so far I hope the voters think the same way!!

USDFAN_55
November 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Come on now. We all know this is a major Homer thread for the most part. Like I said before, we saw this in the last thread regarding the Payton award when most said Cuff or Foster were a lock to win. We all know that Cuff didn't even make the top 3. If this was a popularity award this poll may mean something..... think god it isn't, because I know how much you guys love San Diegoxsmiley_wix