PDA

View Full Version : BAGNOLI RETIRES FROM COLUMBIA

MUHAWKS
August 4th, 2023, 08:57 PM
https://gocolumbialions.com/news/2023/8/4/football-al-bagnoli-announces-retirement-from-coaching.aspx

bonarae
August 4th, 2023, 08:59 PM
Wow. Didn't see that coming too, but it's really time for the under 50s to head coach in Ivy League football (that no one really cares in the FCS)...

But Bagnoli will leave a cupboard that is pining for a championship.

MUHAWKS
August 4th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Wow. Didn't see that coming too, but it's really time for the under 50s to head coach in Ivy League football (that no one really cares in the FCS)...

But Bagnoli will leave a cupboard that is pining for a championship.

I don't know the politics of it, I know it is the school Presidents but all they have to do is make themselves playoff eligible and schedule up just a tad more for OOC and The Ivy League would be very cared about outside their own people. And as you know The top 1-2 Ivy teams most years would probably win a game or 2 in the playoffs. I still do not understand why they hold out..

caribbeanhen
August 4th, 2023, 09:09 PM
I don't know the politics of it, I know it is the school Presidents but all they have to do is make themselves playoff eligible and schedule up just a tad more for OOC and The Ivy League would be very cared about outside their own people. And as you know The top 1-2 Ivy teams most years would probably win a game or 2 in the playoffs. I still do not understand why they hold out..

because they want to be known as an institution of higher learning more so than a football school

I have no clue but that’s my guess

MUHAWKS
August 4th, 2023, 09:22 PM
because they want to be known as an institution of higher learning more so than a football school

I have no clue but that’s my guess

You are prob right but you "cant get half way pregnant" They already do it for every other sport AND 100% have lesser admission standards (albeit still high) for certain athletes.. But yes, what you said is definitely involved I am sure..

bulldog10jw
August 4th, 2023, 11:23 PM

To be fair, every school wants to be known primarily as an institution of higher learning. That being said, the Ivy League's attitude towards postseason football is stupid and discrimatory.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2023, 11:48 PM
He had Columbia on the right track....

crusader11
August 5th, 2023, 05:23 AM
I know the press release says this retirement is due to health issues…but a month before the season kicks off?

And, he’ll be healthy enough to work in the athletic office in an advisory position.

Peculiar timing.

MR. CHICKEN
August 5th, 2023, 06:52 AM
I know the press release says this retirement is due to health issues…but a month before the season kicks off?

And, he’ll be healthy enough to work in the athletic office in an advisory position.

Peculiar timing.

.....UMMM.......NO STRESS....NO PRESSURE.....NO EXCITEMENT........BAWK!

KPSUL
August 5th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Bagnoli wa a coaching mentor to UNH Head Coach, Rick Santos. Fortunately, I believe Santos is exactly where he wants to coach... at least for the moment. So that being the case, good luck to Columbia finding a solid replacement 4 weeks before the start of the season. You have to think that the OC will coach in an interim status for all of 2023 to maintain continuity - great opportunity for him.

caribbeanhen
August 5th, 2023, 07:51 AM
To be fair, every school wants to be known primarily as an institution of higher learning. That being said, the Ivy League's attitude towards postseason football is stupid and discrimatory.

So what’s the reason

Lot’s of people are so smart they’re stupid, is that it?

FUBeAR
August 5th, 2023, 07:57 AM

Peculiar timing.
FUBeAR knows (well) 2 FBS P5 Head Coaches who retired ‘for health reasons’ (they were just ready to retire was their actual ‘health reason’) with similar timing in order to, essentially, force the school to make an internal hire - someone on the retiring HC’s Staff - even if only on an 1-season interim basis. It’s a good way to repay loyalty to Staff Members that might not otherwise have a chance at a HC opportunity and it can be (legitimately) justified by the retiring HC as providing some measure of continuity for the Players ‘he’ recruited.

Can screw the school, though, if no one on Staff is capable as a HC.

So…2 ‘good’ things and 1 ‘potentially bad’ thing come out of this timing…

All-in-all, FUBeAR is FOR it, particularly if the AD is some ‘suit’ and/or a non-Football guy or gal. In that case, FU ALL THE TIME!!

caribbeanhen
August 5th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Coaching just isn’t fun anymore

no off season and way too many changes

bulldog10jw
August 5th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Peculiar timing.

I thought that was strange as well.

bulldog10jw
August 5th, 2023, 12:30 PM
So what’s the reason

Lot’s of people are so smart they’re stupid, is that it?

The only reason I have ever heard is they are worried about injuries which is silly. And this is a Presidents only excuse. You will never hear it from coaches, players, or athletic directors who want participation. Even alumni, who 25 years ago thought participation had no benefit have changed their mind as every other Ivy sport does participate. Maybe if donations from football alums dried up things would change.

And football is discriminated against in other ways the most egregious being the late start to the season and only scheduling 10 games. Other Ivy fall sports start around the first of September. The football schedule starts September 16.

Ivy schools are progressive to a fault on almost all issues. Except for their attitude toward football.

MR. CHICKEN
August 5th, 2023, 02:25 PM
The only reason I have ever heard is they are worried about injuries which is silly. And this is a Presidents only excuse. You will never hear it from coaches, players, or athletic directors who want participation. Even alumni, who 25 years ago thought participation had no benefit have changed their mind as every other Ivy sport does participate. Maybe if donations from football alums dried up things would change.

And football is discriminated against in other ways the most egregious being the late start to the season and only scheduling 10 games. Other Ivy fall sports start around the first of September. The football schedule starts September 16.

Ivy schools are progressive to a fault on almost all issues. Except for their attitude toward football.

....PURITANICAL......SHOOD BE FORCED TA....WEAR....UH SCARLET "I".............BRAWK!

Go...gate
August 7th, 2023, 12:45 AM
Maybe now Columbia will schedule Colgate again.

Bagnoli opted out of a couple of Columbia games with us and refused to schedule us when he was at Penn.

Made no sense at all.

bonarae
August 7th, 2023, 01:04 AM

Bagnoli opted out of a couple of Columbia games with us and refused to schedule us when he was at Penn.

Made no sense at all.

Why do the PL folks prefer Ivy games instead of NEC, CAA or west of the Alleghenies games even to this day? xdontknowx

That's why this aspect of FCS football (scheduling bias) sucks to me. :(

JacksFan40
August 7th, 2023, 10:10 PM
I thought it was the big schools like Harvard and Yale who oppose postseason participation while schools like Dartmouth support it, maybe I’m wrong though. If I had to guess what the real reason is it’s that they don’t want to lose to “lesser” institutions in the FCS playoffs.

It’s a shame, there’s been some really good Ivy teams over the years who would’ve made some noise in the playoffs.

Go...gate
August 10th, 2023, 12:53 AM
Why do the PL folks prefer Ivy games instead of NEC, CAA or west of the Alleghenies games even to this day? xdontknowx

That's why this aspect of FCS football (scheduling bias) sucks to me. :(

Colgate has played against all those conferences and in those locations on several occasions. Our traditional opponents have always been Ivy League and major Eastern schools.

Ivytalk
August 13th, 2023, 09:26 PM

Hear, hear!xsmileyclapx

I couldn’t stand Bags when he was at Penn. Then I realized it was just because I hated Penn. I mellowed on him when he went to upper Manhattan. Good coach.

Go Green
August 14th, 2023, 01:52 PM
I thought it was the big schools like Harvard and Yale who oppose postseason participation while schools like Dartmouth support it, maybe I’m wrong though.

As far as I can tell, only Dartmouth has had a president who went on the record as supporting post-season play for the Ivy.

Unfortunately, he's since moved on.

Go Green
August 14th, 2023, 01:54 PM

Made no sense at all.

Hadn't heard that Columbia was ducking Colgate.

But Penn fans theorized that there really wasn't any point in playing Colgate when they had more local OOC teams around (Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette).

Go...gate
August 15th, 2023, 01:47 AM
Hadn't heard that Columbia was ducking Colgate.

But Penn fans theorized that there really wasn't any point in playing Colgate when they had more local OOC teams around (Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette).

When the late Dick Biddle became Colgate's Head Coach in 1996, Colgate and Penn had a home-and-home scheduling agreement which had several years to run. Bagnoli opted out after the 1996 season (a 38-7 Penn victory). games in Bagnoli promptly opted out of the remaining games, even though Colgate offered to play all the games at Penn. Thereafter, Penn would no longer play us. Mark Murphy used to joke that Penn would never return his calls for many years and cited Bagnoli as the culprit. The teams only resumed playing again last year. When Bagnoli went to Columbia, the Lions promptly cancelled a pending home and home with Colgate.

Go Green
August 15th, 2023, 01:20 PM
When the late Dick Biddle became Colgate's Head Coach in 1996, Colgate and Penn had a home-and-home scheduling agreement which had several years to run. Bagnoli opted out after the 1996 season (a 38-7 Penn victory). games in Bagnoli promptly opted out of the remaining games, even though Colgate offered to play all the games at Penn. Thereafter, Penn would no longer play us. Mark Murphy used to joke that Penn would never return his calls for many years and cited Bagnoli as the culprit. The teams only resumed playing again last year. When Bagnoli went to Columbia, the Lions promptly cancelled a pending home and home with Colgate.

That was awfully generous of Biddle (RIP).

Any particular reason why he wanted to play Penn so badly? Sure, Penn was good in those days. But there were a number of other good teams around as well.

Pards Rule
August 27th, 2023, 11:34 AM

Made no sense at all.
When we had a stretch of wins over Penn in the late 2000s he told the AD I hear to get that damn Lafayette off the schedule...and he did...for a while

Go...gate
August 28th, 2023, 01:55 AM
That was awfully generous of Biddle (RIP).

Any particular reason why he wanted to play Penn so badly? Sure, Penn was good in those days. But there were a number of other good teams around as well.

Not in particular, but it really looked like Bagnoli ducked us as we rebuilt from an 0-11 season in 1995 and slammed the door thereafter.

bonarae
August 28th, 2023, 02:50 AM
Good riddance for the rest of the FCS, as you say? xdontknowx