PDA

View Full Version : Delaware fans, answer this question...

blueballs
November 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM
In looking at the stats from yesterday's debacle, I noticed Omar Cuff had 38 carries. IMO that is about 20 too many in a blow out like this...

How can Keeler justify that number?

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
In looking at the stats from yesterday's debacle, I noticed Omar Cuff had 38 carries. IMO that is about 20 too many in a blow out like this...

You're joking, right? Was he supposed to keep Flacco chucking gimmes into the end zone? Keeler could name the score yesterday. He chose 44 instead of 84. What more do you want?

Happy fishing!

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I'm not a Delaware fan, but are you kidding? Run the ball, run the clock, secure the win. In the playoffs you put teams away, and that's what Cuff did. It's not just about the score, it's about the time left. Three years ago you guys whined because they stopped running him in the second half at W&M. I'd say Keeler learned his lesson on that one.

ngineer
November 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I think it is a legitimate question. The game was in hand by halftime. You have, in all likelihood UNI next week. Why take the risk of injury when I'm sure the Hens have some very good backup TBs who could have managed quite well.

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
The score at halftime was 30-0. You can't say the game was over yet, so what do you do? You try to shorten the game by running and eating clock. You don't take out your starters at halftime when the other team might still make a comeback.

You people are nuts. Omar had the bulk of his carries and yards in the first half, made spot duty to seal the deal in the second half (they started rotating in Thaxton a LOT in quarter 3), then Omar was off the field entirely by late in the third quarter.

blueballs
November 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I'm not accusing UD of running up the score in any way and I fully understand the need to run the clock out- no problem there.

I'm just curious as to why Cuff got 38 carries given the way the game went. It seemed like they could have ran their #2 guy and got similar results w/o putting the extra stress and injury risk on Cuff of the 20 or so (my number) additional carries. If I were Keeler he wouldn't have sniffed the field the last 25 minutes of the game.

Just to give some perspective... Adrian Peterson's career high in carries was 34 (against UD in the 2000 semis) and he only went over 30 five times in 57 games and never in a game as lopsided as yesterday's.

Anyway, I'm not up to speed on UD's depth at RB but 38 seems like an awfully high- way too too high- number for such a lopsided game.

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cuff got 38 of 63 carries for Delaware. What ratio do you suggest for a starter?

blueballs
November 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The score at halftime was 30-0. You can't say the game was over yet, so what do you do? You try to shorten the game by running and eating clock. You don't take out your starters at halftime when the other team might still make a comeback.

You people are nuts. Omar had the bulk of his carries and yards in the first half, made spot duty to seal the deal in the second half (they started rotating in Thaxton a LOT in quarter 3), then Omar was off the field entirely by late in the third quarter.

So you're saying Cuff had 38 totes by the middle of the third qtr?????xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

pitpen
November 24th, 2007, 11:01 AM
So you're saying Cuff had 38 totes by the middle of the third qtr?????xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

He ran over half the plays on three consecutive series to end the half and start the third quarter. He was taken out with about 5 minutes left in the third quarter.

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
That's right. And if you could answer my previous question. Cuff had 38 of 63 carries (or 60%) for Delaware.

Is that unreasonable for a starting running back in a non-RBBC offense?

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb07-delstate-box.html

He was taken out with around 7 mins to go in the 3rd. So he played 2.5 quarters of the game.

blueballs
November 24th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Cuff got 38 of 63 carries for Delaware. What ratio do you suggest for a starter?

In such a lopsided affair no more than 20.

The point is this: if Cuff rolls an ankle when you're up over 30 you guys would have hung Keeler. If I were coaching he's out of his pads by the second series of the third. Why take the chance?

Also, none of us know the cumulative effect this will have on the player; especially if you need him to be a workhorse against a far superior and more physical defense in later rounds.

The reason I raise this question is because I saw how GSU rationed the carries of Peterson and Austin through the years, saving them for big games and big situations. I'm just wondering if UD has the same concerns...

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM

He had 25 in the first half alone.

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM

The point is this: if Cuff rolls an ankle when you're up over 30 you guys would have hung Keeler. If I were coaching he's out of his pads by the second series of the third. Why take the chance?

Also, none of us know the cumulative effect this will have on the player; especially if you need him to be a workhorse against a far superior and more physical defense in later rounds.

The reason I raise this question is because I saw how GSU rationed the carries of Peterson and Austin through the years, saving them for big games and big situations. I'm just wondering if UD has the same concerns...

I think that is what Keeler did. Actually, I think Cuff started the seconds series, but did not finish it.

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I'll tell ya, it's nice when the only comment that people have about your team is that you used your RB too much.

In my opinion, we used Flacco too much too. For a closer game, we should have pulled him when it was 14-0. We had the game wrapped up by then anyway. Why risk a rotator cuff injury?

Ud1Hens
November 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM
UD had drives in the 2nd quarter at their own 2 and 7 yardline when the game was still close. You don't pass your way out, you don't put in your backup and risk a momentum changing turnover, you run the ball with your best player. He got most of his carries on those two drives. I mean DSU did score 18 in the 4th quarter two weeks prior so I think being down 20 in the 2nd quarter is feasible. You can't compare the MEAC to the CAA but a game is not in hand in the 2nd quarter. I agree that on paper 38 is a high number but in the flow of the game UD wasn't thinking about how many carries he had.

UD77
November 24th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Looking back on the game now we should have pulled the entire team off the field after we were ahead 14-0. They most likely won't have scored and we would not have given up the fumble late in the game that counted for the only points.

This question is such a joke.

Henwatcher
November 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Just when you think you've heard everything!!

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I'm not accusing UD of running up the score in any way and I fully understand the need to run the clock out- no problem there.

I'm just curious as to why Cuff got 38 carries given the way the game went. It seemed like they could have ran their #2 guy and got similar results w/o putting the extra stress and injury risk on Cuff of the 20 or so (my number) additional carries. If I were Keeler he wouldn't have sniffed the field the last 25 minutes of the game.

Just to give some perspective... Adrian Peterson's career high in carries was 34 (against UD in the 2000 semis) and he only went over 30 five times in 57 games and never in a game as lopsided as yesterday's.

Anyway, I'm not up to speed on UD's depth at RB but 38 seems like an awfully high- way too too high- number for such a lopsided game.

I also thought Cuff played too long in the 2d half.. UD was up 30-0.. but vs an offenseless Del St.. it may as well have been 60-0. UD has blown leads in the past.. but there was zero chance that Del St.. with 'no' passing threat.. was going to make a late comeback. KC did the right thing by running tha ball the entire 2d half.. but Cuff should have been out of there after the Hen's first possession and TD of the 2d half.

blueballs
November 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Okay... you guys who think this question is such a joke, answer this one: Have any of you ever coached a winning team in any sport?

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Okay... you guys who think this question is such a joke, answer this one: Have any of you ever coached a winning team in any sport?

Yes, my fantasy football team is 8-3!

gophoenix
November 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I'm with the Delaware fans. You never know when a team is going to pull stuff like Western Carolina doid against Wofford and Elon. You score you keep scoring and it is the job of the other team to stop it no matter what.

Maybe karma catches up with you, but you've secured that for another day.

I find it a bit ironic which fans are complaining about the running up the score and who played what type of things. I think we're getting to an all time low of what to complain about with other teams....

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Even up 30-0 at the half, the game wasn't over. DSU has comeback before. Against NSU they were down 21-3 in the 4th. I have no problem with Cuff starting the second half. I might not have played him the the second series of the third quarter when it was 37-0, but were only talking a few carries in that series since Cuff only played part of it.

I agree that you don't want to over work Cuff, but on the other hand UD's offense was dominant with him out there and the defense got a much needed rest. Delaware's defense has been beaten up pretty hard the last 4 games - Navy, JMU, Richmond, and 'Nova ('Nova didn't score much, but ran all over UD in the second half). UD will need a healthy defense next week no matter who they play.

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM

I wanted #28 out of the at half. #31 is fine, needs the work and is next years star anyway

Henwatcher
November 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I wanted #28 out of the at half. #31 is fine, needs the work and is next years star anyway

It remains to be seen how many carries Thaxton gets next year assuming Butler returns healthy after his injury. Butler is very good.

Catsfan2
November 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Well, just a few days before, Cuff was pretty much a non-factor in the loss to Villanova, due to, I believe, back spasms. I also would have rested him much sooner in the Del State game, just to protect him for the next round.

NovaHater
November 24th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Well, just a few days before, Cuff was pretty much a non-factor in the loss to Villanova, due to, I believe, back spasms. I also would have rested him much sooner in the Del State game, just to protect him for the next round.

You know how he got those back spasms ? xsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM
You know how he got those back spasms ? xsmiley_wix

who do you guys play this week??? :p

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM
ZING!

NovaHater
November 24th, 2007, 05:35 PM
who do you guys play this week??? :p

No game today, playing NC State tomorrow in the FINALS of the Old Spice Classic down in Florida hoping to increase that No. 20 in the nation ranking. xnodx

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM
No game today, playing NC State tomorrow in the FINALS of the Old Spice Classic down in Florida hoping to increase that No. 20 in the nation ranking. xnodx

Basketball??? That's what boys do during men's wrestling season... :p