PDA

View Full Version : Underrated players

The Cats
June 3rd, 2023, 10:38 AM
Who do you believe to be the most underrated player on your schools team for this upcoming season... and why?

McCowboys
June 3rd, 2023, 05:16 PM
McNeese has so many new players (transfers and redshirts) that finding a returning player who is underrated is a bit difficult, but I think I would go with a returning (from injury) running back D'Angelo Durham. If not him, our punter Callum Eddings (from Australia).

5/5 D'ANGELO DURHAM

Position Running Back
Class Senior
Hometown Augusta, Ga.
Highschool Grovetown HS
Prev School Savannah State

BIOGRAPHY

A 1,000-yard rusher who is transferring from Savannah State where in three years, compiled 1,662 rushing yards and 20 TDs in three seasons. As a freshman, he led the team with 1,029 yards rushing and 12 TDs.
At Savannah State
2021 (Junior):
• Ranked second on the team with 558 yards rushing... led the squad with 8 rushing TDs... averaged 55.8 yards per game rushing and 4.4 yards per carry... ran for 100 yards or more twice - 106 vs. Kentucky State with a TD and 102 yards against Edward Waters.
2020 (Sophomore):
• Rushed for 75 yards on 17 carries.
2019 (Freshman):
• Ran for 1,029 yards and 12 touchdowns, both team highs, in helping Savannah State win the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference with a perfect 5-0 record... averaged 102.9 yards rushing per game and 5.4 yards per carry... ran for 100 or more four times including in each of the final three games... career-high 155 yards on 26 carried with 2 TDs in the season finale against Edward Waters... 150 yards on 20 carries and 3 TDs against Albany State... 148 yards on 21 carries and 2 scores vs. Fort Valley State... 125 yards on 14 carries and 2 TDs vs. Virginia Lynchburg.
Personal:
• Born October 19, 1999… Son of Derrick and Angela Durham… Three siblings – DJ, Dariane and Derricka… Loves watching movies, especially suspense thrillers… Favorite all-time player is Adrian Peterson.

38 CALLUM EDDINGS

Position Punter
Class Junior

BIOGRAPHY

2021 SLC Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll
2021 (Freshman):
• Punted 57 times for a 36.5 average with a long of 55 yards... had 19 punts downed inside the 20-yard line, 21 fair catches and three touchbacks... three games where he averaged 40 or more yards per punt... best was a 42.0 average on two punts against Southern... Pinned nationally ranked UIW at the 3-yard line with under 2 minutes to play to help secure the Cowboys’ win for their Homecoming game.
High School:
• MVP of his team, playing Australian football throughout school.
Personal:
• Born June 13, 2001... Parents are Earl Eddings and Erica Edmands... two siblings, Benjamin and Cara... never played American football until he arrived on campus... Does some DJ’ing and photography as a hobby.

SU DOG
June 3rd, 2023, 05:50 PM
I don't know if a 2nd team All-SoCon selection disqualifies him from the underrated requirement, but I think that our big center Jabari Brooks will be the best in the league this season. The 6-3, 342 pounder was a lifesaver last year as our projected starter was injured preseason. IDK, but he just might get some NFL looks, or at least some looks from some level after college.

PaladinNation
June 3rd, 2023, 09:00 PM
Because of the way Furman plays team defense as well as heavy rotations at all position groups - stats are spread around.
A few underrated players on the Paladin Defense.

1. Cally Chizik CB (5-9 176) — backup, nickel, can also play safety, and return punts
2. Bryce McCormick ILB (6-2 223) — 77 tackles, 3 sacks in 2022
3. Xavier Stephens NG (6-3 282) — transfer from Lehigh, had 26 tackles and 4.5 sacks as a backup in 2022, will be a starter in 2023
4. Alex Maier Bandit (6-4 238) —Alex is the backup to Luke Clark, Maier had 25 tackles and 4.5 sacks in his first season, Maier had a great post season for the DINS

A few offensive players worth a mention
1.Wayne Anderson Jr Slot/WR (5-9 200) Wayne made the move from RB to WR last season, I think Roper (OC) finds more ways to get the speedster Anderson the ball in space
2. Parks Gissinger TE (6-4 240) transfer from MichSt, Parks is a helluva blocker and a very underrated receiver

FUBeAR
June 3rd, 2023, 09:29 PM
Because of the way Furman plays team defense as well as heavy rotations at all position groups - stats are spread around.
A few underrated players on the Paladin Defense.

1. Cally Chizik CB (5-9 176) — backup, nickel, can also play safety, and return punts
2. Bryce McCormick ILB (6-2 223) — 77 tackles, 3 sacks in 2022
3. Xavier Stephens NG (6-3 282) — transfer from Lehigh, had 26 tackles and 4.5 sacks as a backup in 2022, will be a starter in 2023
4. Alex Maier Bandit (6-4 238) —Alex is the backup to Luke Clark, Maier had 25 tackles and 4.5 sacks in his first season, Maier had a great post season for the DINS

A few offensive players worth a mention
1.Wayne Anderson Jr Slot/WR (5-9 200) Wayne made the move from RB to WR last season, I think Roper (OC) finds more ways to get the speedster Anderson the ball in space
2. Parks Gissinger TE (6-4 240) transfer from MichSt, Parks is a helluva blocker and a very underrated receiverFUBeAR was gonna keep it simple and just say…

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/roster

SteelSD
June 4th, 2023, 10:01 AM
FUBeAR was gonna keep it simple and just say…

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/roster
Leave it to Furman fans to complain about being underrated when they are being ranked in the top 5-6 pretty much everywhere.

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2023, 10:23 AM
The three guys pictured below. #34 Alex Washington... #35 Quinn Osborne... #48 Brayden Staib.They have provided excellent depth to a strong LB room for the past two years.One or more may start this Fall but they will all be major contributors again. https://i.imgur.com/1Ag9rJ0.jpg

PaladinNation
June 8th, 2023, 08:04 AM
Leave it to Furman fans to complain about being underrated when they are being ranked in the top 5-6 pretty much everywhere.

I get your point… As a life-long Furman fan since I was a little pup, living in Greenville I've grown up with a chip on my shoulder concerning the respect Furman gets in Football and Basketball. Part of this is because the DINS are shadowed locally by Clemson and SC. I'm realizing that is changing. Whenever I wear something Furman—I now get a "Go Dins!" Furman's BB team's success has woken a sleeping giant in Upstate BB fans.

Back to Furman football and underrated players—back in the day "FuBear days" I always felt like Furman played with a chip on its shoulder. Furman was a blue collar team with a sprinkling of "stars." Coach Hendrix has IMO embraced this philosophy—Furman is a blue collar football team at a white collar school. That said the majority of Furman's current roster is full of players that had double-digit FCS offers, and some had double-digit FBS offers. Most of my list of underrated players are 2nd team or first-time starters for 2023.

SU DOG
June 8th, 2023, 09:37 AM
What SoCon Teams don't feel "shadowed" by SEC or ACC schools? Samford has always been in that situation and now UAB is added to that UA/AU mix. I'm sure the Tenn teams feel that way about the Vols. Yeah, Furman should be VERY good this fall, and have already gotten plenty of recognition for that from the early polls. If there is a gripe for lack of respect, however, it is or has been for the SoCon. Maybe that is slowly changing and maybe we will see more than 2 teams in the Playoffs this year.

The Cats
June 8th, 2023, 11:42 AM
What SoCon Teams don't feel "shadowed" by SEC or ACC schools? Samford has always been in that situation and now UAB is added to that UA/AU mix. I'm sure the Tenn teams feel that way about the Vols. Yeah, Furman should be VERY good this fall, and have already gotten plenty of recognition for that from the early polls. If there is a gripe for lack of respect, however, it is or has been for the SoCon. Maybe that is slowly changing and maybe we will see more than 2 teams in the Playoffs this year.

I hope you are correct, but with only 9 teams, I think the SoCon teams will continue to knock each other out with the parity we seem to have. We don't have the luxury that the CAA, MVFC, and Big Sky have of not playing every other member each season.

SFA 93
June 9th, 2023, 06:55 AM
https://static.hudl.com/users/prod/4753434_939d9df7e4334248a60d70f01fb44b1c.jpg
DL: #54 AMAD MURRAY 6-3; 254 (G/SR.)
GP:46;TKL:152;TFL:36.5;SCK:15.0;QBH:19;PD:2;FF:3;F R:1;BLK:1

Murray never seems to get the recognition he deserves for what he does on the defensive line year in and year out.

Had a career high 9 tackles against Central Arkansas and 2 sacks against Tarleton State in 2022.

In the playoff game against UIW, 8 tackles, 3 sacks, and a FF.