PDA

View Full Version : Top Returning Safeties - Is SoCon Really This Dominant?

SU DOG
May 25th, 2023, 10:55 AM
Of the 15 listed, 6 are from 5 SoCon schools (UTC has 2). Seems that this is quite a feather in the SoCon hat IF it plays out on the field. I was very surprised at this Bluebloods list giving such a high mark for the SoCon.

https://www.thebluebloodscfb.com/fcs-football-highest-graded-returning-safeties-in-2023/

kdinva
May 25th, 2023, 11:56 AM
VMI's Evan Eller is a strong safety/bandit LB/OLB who will hit you.

SU DOG
May 25th, 2023, 12:04 PM
VMI's Evan Eller is a strong safety/bandit LB/OLB who will hit you.

Yep, you don't have to convince me. This guy had SEVENTEEN total tackles against us when we played VMI last year.

KPSUL
May 25th, 2023, 03:50 PM
After looking at the Blue Bloods Top 15 Safeties, Corners and LBs, I stopped reading and consider their selection criteria to be suspect. A total of 45 defenders, and only one from the MVFC ? Does that seem realistic, 1 Cornerback, 0 Safeties and 0 Linebackers from the consensus # 1 FCS conference?

Chalupa Batman
May 25th, 2023, 07:15 PM
After looking at the Blue Bloods Top 15 Safeties, Corners and LBs, I stopped reading and consider their selection criteria to be suspect. A total of 45 defenders, and only one from the MVFC ? Does that seem realistic, 1 Cornerback, 0 Safeties and 0 Linebackers from the consensus # 1 FCS conference?

Adam Bock from SDSU was listed as the #5 LB. But out of the 3 position groups you mentioned he was the only other MVFC player listed.

SteelSD
May 25th, 2023, 07:17 PM
Boy, thats not good. SDSU better see about trying to get good on defense.

Milktruck74
May 26th, 2023, 06:15 AM
The criteria is all stats driven, and based on an NFL model...That works in that league because the talent is fairly homogenized and the offenses are very similar..ie DBs are pretty much defending an aggregate of the same players on the same play types. I had a stats prof in grad school that said "Torture the data long enough and it will tell you exactly what you want to hear"

When you look at the same criteria for RBs, they list the WCU kid as #3. Don't get me wrong, he is solid and has some great potential, but he will is the #3 returning RB in the SoCon. I don't know too many without a tinted view that would argue that he is better than Ford or Roberto. So, these lists are fun for preseason discussion, but beyond that they are pretty worthless.

FUBeAR
May 26th, 2023, 08:20 AM
So, these lists are fun for preseason discussion, but beyond that they are pretty worthless.
Ah…so, exactly like all preseason polls and all polls until about 1/2way thru the season…but the later polls are also worthless because…preseason polls…and poll voters refusal to acknowledge that their pre-season polls were just dart-throwing.

caribbeanhen
May 26th, 2023, 09:32 AM
Ah…so, exactly like all preseason polls and all polls until about 1/2way thru the season…but the later polls are also worthless because…preseason polls…and poll voters refusal to acknowledge that their pre-season polls were just dart-throwing.

they know it’s dart throwing but getting some to admit it is challenging because this is a site for college boys and resumes ….. and spell checkers…. lol