PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Greatest FCS Upsets

The Cats
May 19th, 2023, 08:16 PM
Thoughts...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fu0dCTLX0AEjCec?format=jpg&name=medium

The Cats
May 19th, 2023, 08:19 PM
13 of those wins were by Southern Conference teams...

Professor Chaos
May 19th, 2023, 08:41 PM
For NDSU over Minnesota at #31 - which time??? :D

I also think it's funny that NDSU over Iowa St in 2014 appears in the list since, if I recall correctly, some sports betting sites had the Bison as favorites in that game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 19th, 2023, 09:09 PM
Not sure I agree with some of these.

UNI and North Texas beat absolutely dreadful Kansas State teams. The Panthers and Mean Green likely had more scholarship players than the Wildcats during that era...
Likewise a couple of those Kansas and Colorado teams were historically bad FBS squads when they lost to 1-AA/FCS programs.

4-8 Holy Cross beat 1-10 Army in 2002 is a bigger upset than those games imo.
How about Villanova beating 9-4 Temple in 2009? 'Nova won the Natty but that was still a darn good Temple team.

ncspiderfan
May 19th, 2023, 09:13 PM

I also think it's funny that NDSU over Iowa St in 2014 appears in the list since, if I recall correctly, some sports betting sites had the Bison as favorites in that game.

Good point on the which time, as Spiders have beaten Duke the last three times they played them. Maybe the one at #50 is when they shut them out in 2006, but they did not win a game that year. 2009 and 2011 were when David Cutliff was there, so maybe one of those.

At any rate doubt Spiders will ever get another pay day from the Blue Devils.

UNHWildcat18
May 19th, 2023, 09:18 PM
Howard over UNLV is kind of a joke being in the top 10.... Happy to see UNH's win over Rutgers making the list.

ST_Lawson
May 19th, 2023, 11:14 PM

They probably felt like if it was a FCS over a P5 FBS, they had to include it...even though some of those were not really that unexpected.

Go...gate
May 20th, 2023, 12:35 AM
Does #2, Cincinnati over Penn State, belong in this category?

Cincinnati has never been BCS.

Professor Chaos
May 20th, 2023, 04:30 AM

It sounds to me like it was just some kind of procedural issue that the NCAA used to "drop them" to 1AA for a single year back in 1983. They were 1A in 1982 then again in 1984 and onwards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Cincinnati_Bearcats_football_team

Beating Penn St was still a huge upset for them but I agree that including them in this list is kind of silly since they claimed to be competing as a 1A independent and were only technically 1AA for that year because of some issue between them and the NCAA that was quickly sorted out.

KPSUL
May 20th, 2023, 09:38 AM
It sounds to me like it was just some kind of procedural issue that the NCAA used to "drop them" to 1AA for a single year back in 1983. They were 1A in 1982 then again in 1984 and onwards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Cincinnati_Bearcats_football_team

Beating Penn St was still a huge upset for them but I agree that including them in this list is kind of silly since they claimed to be competing as a 1A independent and were only technically 1AA for that year because of some issue between them and the NCAA that was quickly sorted out.

OK, let's drop Cincinnati over Penn St. and add UNH's win vs Northwestern in 2006.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 20th, 2023, 09:55 AM

I wonder if that Cincinnati win played a role in Penn State's famous 81-0 destruction of the Bearcats in 1991. I still remember watching that game as a kid.....

ElCid
May 20th, 2023, 10:06 AM
They probably felt like if it was a FCS over a P5 FBS, they had to include it...even though some of those were not really that unexpected.

Yup. Some of the P5s listed were rated 100+ (out of about 120-130) in the FBS by Massey the year of the scalp and below many FCS teams.

ElCid
May 20th, 2023, 10:32 AM

Here is a great example of P5 bias. It's not total bias because P5 are expected to be, and should be, less likely to lose to an FCS.

I'm going to use Massey for the calculations. I know it's just as accurate as it's algorithms, but it is a somewhat objective method even if not perfect.

In 2019 The Citadel beat Ga Tech 24-21. Ga Tech ended the year as the 97th FBS team at 3-9. The upset scored a 106 on the scale used by Massey. On the list provided above we ended up as the 17th best upset ever.

Cent Ark beat WKU 35-28 a couple weeks prior to our game. WKU ended the season as FBS 74th at 9-4. The upset scored was marginally better at 112.

The latter game wasn't listed at all in the top 50. Why? Probably because GA Tech is P5 and a storied program and compared to WKU, a mere former FCS program and a directional G5 didn't make it worthy enough.

Bias? Probably a little. Are they looking at the big, long term impression of a team's history or just the year in which the upsets took place? Or was it just piss poor research. I'll admit I have the bias a little as well. It just seems better to beat GaTech than WKU, but in real terms it might not be.

MR. CHICKEN
May 20th, 2023, 10:46 AM
OK, let's drop Cincinnati over Penn St. and add UNH's win vs Northwestern in 2006.[/SIZE]

....OR.....WE COOD ADD JOE FLACCO LED......DELAWARE OVERAH 8-4 NAVY 59-52 2007.....WHERE DUH NEXT WEEK NAVY LOST TO NOTRE DAME IN 3 OT'S....&......LOST TA UTAH 35-32 IN POINSETTA BOWL.....ONE UH MANY UD DUBBYA'S....OVERAH NAVY...BAH HENS.....DOODLE-DOO!

Sitting Bull
May 20th, 2023, 11:28 AM

....OR.....WE COOD ADD JOE FLACCO LED......DELAWARE OVERAH 8-4 NAVY 59-52 2007.....WHERE DUH NEXT WEEK NAVY LOST TO NOTRE DAME IN 3 OT'S....&......LOST TA UTAH 35-32 IN POINSETTA BOWL.....ONE UH MANY UD DUBBYA'S....OVERAH NAVY...BAH HENS.....DOODLE-DOO!

That was a nice win as was last year.

Navy has suffered numerous FCS losses since the Division was created in 1982 - as has Army. Navy has multiple losses to Delaware, lost twice against JMU (with zero wins) and W&M has been 2-0 against Navy since 1987. That’s just the CAA. I recall losses to Yale, Penn and the noted one here to The Citadel.

JALMOND
May 20th, 2023, 01:06 PM
I'm surprised with the omission of some of Portland State's wins over the FBS. Three that come to mind...

3. New Mexico, 2007 Viks win 17-6. New Mexico went to a bowl that year (New Mexico bowl).
2. North Texas, 2015, Viks win 66-7. The biggest point differential in any FCS win over the FBS.
1. Washington State, 2015, Viks win 24-17. I consider this our biggest win over the FBS. Wazzu beat us the previous year, 59-21, and everyone thought this would be the same. Wazzu beat Miami in the Sun Bowl later that year.

caribbeanhen
May 20th, 2023, 01:30 PM
Delaware has beat Navy so many times it’s not even considered an upset

Sitting Bull
May 20th, 2023, 02:22 PM
Delaware has beat Navy so many times it’s not even considered an upset

Very true. In fact there may have been a game or two where it may have been considered an upset, Navy beating Delaware.

ElCid
May 20th, 2023, 05:22 PM
I'm surprised with the omission of some of Portland State's wins over the FBS. Three that come to mind...

3. New Mexico, 2007 Viks win 17-6. New Mexico went to a bowl that year (New Mexico bowl).
2. North Texas, 2015, Viks win 66-7. The biggest point differential in any FCS win over the FBS.
1. Washington State, 2015, Viks win 24-17. I consider this our biggest win over the FBS. Wazzu beat us the previous year, 59-21, and everyone thought this would be the same. Wazzu beat Miami in the Sun Bowl later that year.

The win over N Tx was especially noteworthy due to the margin and should have been included for that reason alone.

DFW HOYA
May 20th, 2023, 05:31 PM
North Texas, 2015, Viks win 66-7. The biggest point differential in any FCS win over the FBS.

North Texas fired its head coach, Dan McCarney, immediately after the game, which was its homecoming gane. The AD walked into the post-game press conference to announce it.

Go...gate
May 20th, 2023, 09:47 PM
OK, let's drop Cincinnati over Penn St. and add UNH's win vs Northwestern in 2006.

Good.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 20th, 2023, 10:09 PM
Very true. In fact there may have been a game or two where it may have been considered an upset, Navy beating Delaware.

W&M 27 Navy 12
Lehigh 24 Navy 9
Navy 31 Delaware 22

Go...gate
May 20th, 2023, 11:28 PM
1987 also saw Colgate defeat Army, 22-20.

mvemjsunpx
May 21st, 2023, 02:26 AM

That was 2006. 2007 was Glanville's first year.

mvemjsunpx
May 21st, 2023, 02:27 AM
Howard over UNLV is kind of a joke being in the top 10....

Why? It was the biggest point-spread upset in history.

NY Crusader 2010
May 21st, 2023, 07:12 AM
Not sure I agree with some of these.

UNI and North Texas beat absolutely dreadful Kansas State teams. The Panthers and Mean Green likely had more scholarship players than the Wildcats during that era...
Likewise a couple of those Kansas and Colorado teams were historically bad FBS squads when they lost to 1-AA/FCS programs.

4-8 Holy Cross beat 1-10 Army in 2002 is a bigger upset than those games imo.
How about Villanova beating 9-4 Temple in 2009? 'Nova won the Natty but that was still a darn good Temple team.

That 2002 Army team was historically bad. 2002 Holy Cross should've been a contender in the PL but they had an ungodly amount of injuries to key players. Plus that was the year that Dan Allen's health started to really decline. To put into perspective how bad that Army team was, consider the following:

In 2002, Army lost to 1-10 Rutgers 44-0. That Rutgers team lost to 1-10 Buffalo. That Buffalo team was beaten decisively by Lehigh.

Somehow, Army managed to win a game that year, earning a victory over Tulane. For whatever reason, Army seemed to have Tulane's number during that era. Only CUSA team you could say that about while they were in the league. Believe it or not, Army was actually better in 2003 but still ended up going 0-13. That right there shows how bad the '02 team was.

'Nova beating Temple in '09 was definitely a nice win. Temple had definitely been on the rebound by then, I believe that's when they were in the MAC.

ElCid
May 21st, 2023, 08:10 AM
Why? It was the biggest point-spread upset in history.

Point spreads are somewhat artificial when comes to actual quality. Especially considering it was UNLV. According to the computers it wasn't the biggest upset in regard to actual results. The computers only had them at a 25 point underdog. Still real good, but top 10 worthy? Top 50 maybe, especially as it was probably their only scalp ever.

NY Crusader 2010
May 21st, 2023, 08:27 AM
Point spreads are somewhat artificial when comes to actual quality. Especially considering it was UNLV. According to the computers it wasn't the biggest upset in regard to actual results. The computers only had them at a 25 point underdog. Still real good, but top 10 worthy? Top 50 maybe, especially as it was probably their only scalp ever.

The computers, at the time of that game, probably had Howard as a team ranked in the bottom of the MEAC. This was a Week 1 game and Howard turned out to be a lot better than projected preseason. I think they finished with 6 or 7 wins when they likely were projected to win 2 or 3.

Given the historic significance of overcoming the greatest point spread in history, I say this game absolutely belongs on any list of top FCS over FBS upsets.

That Howard-UNLV game I also believe was QB Caylin Newton's first career game as a true frosh. Went a lot better than his last game as a 5th year senior for W&M out in Bozeman.

crusader11
May 21st, 2023, 08:50 AM
Howard over UNLV is kind of a joke being in the top 10.... Happy to see UNH's win over Rutgers making the list.

UNLV were 45-point favorites in this game...

NY Crusader 2010
May 21st, 2023, 12:09 PM

WRONG on the 1st point.

With regards to the UNH-Rutgers game, I vividly remember that as I was driving up to the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY that day and was listening to that game on the radio during the drive. It was Ricky Santos' coming out party -- IIRC he was the backup QB and was filling in for a starter who had gotten hurt either in camp or week prior. This game, in hindsight, ended up not being that big of an upset as UNH had a great season and Rutgers fizzled. Part of the reason that upset was such a big deal at the time was because Rutgers had beaten Michigan State the week prior and everyone was jacked up about the Scarlet Knights being relevant again. Ultimately, Rutgers was indeed on the upswing under Schiano but it wasn't until the following year that the results started to come into place.

Also, UNH had just beaten I-AA #1 ranked Delaware the previous week. On the road.

bonarae
May 22nd, 2023, 05:11 AM
Hmm, looks like the shutout of an FBS (by a now ex-FCS) wasn't counted here. Doesn't do justice, perhaps?

Go Green
May 22nd, 2023, 06:35 AM
Shouldn't #33 be Yale over Army?

Harvard did beat Army in 1983. While that was before my time, I don't remember anyone reminiscing about what a huge upset it was...

ElCid
May 22nd, 2023, 08:39 AM
Harvard did beat Army in 1983. While that was before my time, I don't remember anyone reminiscing about what a huge upset it was...

I think because it wasn't that big. The Ivy was FBS until 81. So a couple years later isn't very big. Not sure how Ivy teams differed once FCS (1AA then), but there probably wasn't a huge drop off. And Army was just 2-9 that year.

JALMOND
May 22nd, 2023, 04:54 PM
#36 Idaho over Oregon State?

The last win by the Vandals over the Beavers was 1984 in Moscow. For as good as the Vandals were back then (and as terrible the Beavers were), I can't see where a home win by the Vandals could be an "upset", let alone a "major upset".

Vandals last win in Corvallis was in 1952, unless OSU's historical data is incorrect.

https://osubeavers.com/sports/football/opponent-history/idaho/61

NY Crusader 2010
May 23rd, 2023, 05:16 AM

Interesting factoid I never knew about. I did know that the MAC Conference was dropped down to I-AA for a single year before the league made an all-out effort to hit the attendance requirement that one year to go back up to I-A.

- - - Updated - - -

When did UMASS beat BC?

bonarae
May 23rd, 2023, 06:20 AM
When did UMASS beat BC?

Per the Minutemen's media guide, last win of theirs was before the split, in 1978.

NY Crusader 2010
May 23rd, 2023, 06:01 PM
Per the Minutemen's media guide, last win of theirs was before the split, in 1978.

I believe that was the 1st season of I-AA football. UMASS would have just moved up from Division II into the newly created subdivision. They followed up their BC win by beating #1 Nevada in the I-AA semis and then lost to #3 Florida A&M in the I-AA title game. The first 5 years of I-AA of course notably did not include schools like Holy Cross, Colgate, the Ivies (not that they would have gone to the postseason anyway) and the Southern Conference, which then included the likes of William & Mary, Richmond, The Citadel, Furman, App State and Marshall. Some of those schools only overlapped in the SoCon for a few years, as W&M and Richmond left right around that time.

The 1978 BC team FWIW also finished 0-11, including losses to Villanova and Holy Cross. HC and 'Nova would've both been I-A at the time with 'Nova on the verge of briefly dropping the sport.

NY Crusader 2010
May 23rd, 2023, 06:54 PM
Hmm, looks like the shutout of an FBS (by a now ex-FCS) wasn't counted here. Doesn't do justice, perhaps?

Northeastern over Ohio in 2002 or 2003?

bonarae
May 23rd, 2023, 07:46 PM
Northeastern over Ohio in 2002 or 2003?

2002. Ohio U finished below .500 that year.

Sitting Bull
May 23rd, 2023, 08:02 PM
Interesting factoid I never knew about. I did know that the MAC Conference was dropped down to I-AA for a single year before the league made an all-out effort to hit the attendance requirement that one year to go back up to I-A.

It was a smoke and mirrors campaign by the MAC that year to hit the attendance requirement. I remember Richmond had a game at Ohio U that year that they moved from Athens to Ohio State’s stadium in Columbus. They reported 20,000 which must have included anyone breathing within 5 miles of the stadium.

The joke of the MAC clinging to FBS came when Marshall “moved up” after winning the FCS championship several times, and Judy boat raced through the MAC.

You wonder if the MAC would have won any national championships in FCS had they stuck. One thing for certain, their attendance would be no worse in FCS.

ngineer
May 28th, 2023, 09:34 PM
That was a nice win as was last year.

Navy has suffered numerous FCS losses since the Division was created in 1982 - as has Army. Navy has multiple losses to Delaware, lost twice against JMU (with zero wins) and W&M has been 2-0 against Navy since 1987. That’s just the CAA. I recall losses to Yale, Penn and the noted one here to The Citadel.

Lehigh beat Navy in Annapolis in 1987, also, by 24-9 and in 1983 beat Army 13-12 in Michie.

ysubigred
May 29th, 2023, 07:00 PM

I also think it's funny that NDSU over Iowa St in 2014 appears in the list since, if I recall correctly, some sports betting sites had the Bison as favorites in that game.Geesh.. the golden Buffalo's beating any mid to lower echelon B1G team is not an upset..

YSU taking out ACC Pitt.. would be an upset especially when YSU was in the middle of suck..

Still #1 alll time Appy over Meatchicken..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

NY Crusader 2010
May 29th, 2023, 10:18 PM
Lehigh beat Navy in Annapolis in 1987, also, by 24-9 and in 1983 beat Army 13-12 in Michie.

A week after the Navy win, Lehigh would run into the Duffer machine and lose 63-6 to Holy Cross.

Bisonoline
May 29th, 2023, 10:32 PM
Citidal beating Arkansas.

Sader87
May 30th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Army was still pretty good in 1986 but not bowl eligible good like they were in 84 and 85....HC would go undefeated until losing to a bowl-bound (with a W ovah Georgia in that bowl) on the last game of the season that year. I wouldn't qualify that as an upset.

Harvard beating Army in '83 wasn't a great upset either imo. Army sort of bottomed out in the late 70s/early 80s....HC beat Army in '78 and '81 (still technically 1-A at the time).

UMass was very good in '78....smoked a HC team at Fitton something like 33-8....that HC team beat Army, Air Force and BC that year.

caribbeanhen
May 30th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Army was still pretty good in 1986 but not bowl eligible good like they were in 84 and 85....HC would go undefeated until losing to a bowl-bound (with a W ovah Georgia in that bowl) on the last game of the season that year. I wouldn't qualify that as an upset.

Harvard beating Army in '83 wasn't a great upset either imo. Army sort of bottomed out in the late 70s/early 80s....HC beat Army in '78 and '81 (still technically 1-A at the time).

UMass was very good in '78....smoked a HC team at Fitton something like 33-8....that HC team beat Army, Air Force and BC that year.

UMass lost in the finals to Florida A&M in 1978

First 1AA final in a 4 team playoff and come to think of it were still holding a 4 team playoff given only a few teams can realistically win it

Ivytalk
June 4th, 2023, 03:41 PM
Has there has there been a thread on the top 50 upsets of FCS teams by other FCS teams? If so, a link please. — Rip van Ivytalk

NY Crusader 2010
June 5th, 2023, 08:48 AM
Has there has there been a thread on the top 50 upsets of FCS teams by other FCS teams? If so, a link please. — Rip van Ivytalk

Weirdly enough, there aren't a ton that pop into my head. I feel like there were more playoff upsets when the field was just 16 teams. Because now a lot of the true Cinderella's get thinned out by having to go on the road in the Round of 24. But I can think of a few of those opening rounders that I'd consider pretty big upsets.

Postseason:

Colgate over James Madison in 2015 in the Round of 16 => Colgate beat UNH on road in first round
Fordham over Northeastern in 2002 Round of 16 was a big one back then.
San Diego over Northern Arizona in the playoffs 5 or 6 years ago, opening round
Lehigh over Northern Iowa in 2010, opening round => first year of expanded playoffs with 20-team field
South Carolina State over Jackson State in 2021 Celebration Bowl

Regular season:

Jacksonville University over Delaware in 2015
Indiana State over North Dakota State in 2012
Merrimack over Holy Cross in 2021
Bucknell over Holy Cross in 2009 => 2nd time in 3 years that Bucknell beat an "already-clinched" PL champ in regular season finale
Rhode Island over UMass in 2007
Holy Cross over Lehigh in 2005

D-II over FCS upsets:

New Haven over Villanova in the late '90's
Colorado-Pueblo over national semi-finalist Sam Houston State in 2017 or 2018
West Chester over Delaware in 1992 => final win for West Chester in an annual series that (finally) ended in 2012. '92 Hens beat Navy regular season and reached the I-AA semis.

NY Crusader 2010
June 5th, 2023, 09:30 AM
UMass lost in the finals to Florida A&M in 1978

First 1AA final in a 4 team playoff and come to think of it were still holding a 4 team playoff given only a few teams can realistically win it

1978 UMass also only I-AA / FCS team BC has ever lost to since the split. And their only other competitive game against a I-AA was a 24-14 win over the 2007 UMass team, who was defending I-AA runner-up and would lost to Delaware in the quarters IIRC.

McCowboys
June 5th, 2023, 09:31 AM
On of the biggest upsets in McNeese history came in 2004, a loss to Southeastern Louisiana in Cowboy Stadium.

At that time, McNeese was two years removed from appearing in the national championship (2002) with a loss to Western Kentucky and had just made the playoffs the year before (2003).

So any loss to SLU who had just revived its football program the year before would have been an upset, but the Lions absolutely destroyed the Cowboys 51-17. An assistant coach for the Lions at that time was Gary Goff, now the head coach of McNeese. The head coach of the Lions was legendary coach Hal Mumme.

NY Crusader 2010
June 5th, 2023, 10:57 AM
Hal Mumme went to New Mexico State after reviving the SELA football program. He did not have luck there, in an era when it seemed like anywhere a pass-heavy offense got installed wins followed.

crusader11
June 5th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Central Connecticut has had two big upsets that come to mind...

In 2006, they made sure Brian VanGorder's only season at Georgia Southern got off to a hot start, beating them 17-13.

In 2014, CCSU shocked Towson in the season-opener. CCSU was coming off of a 4-8 season, while Towson's previous game out was in the natty against NDSU.

crusader11
June 5th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Also out of the NEC, Sacred Heart...

Beat Delaware in 2014, who was fresh off a win at James Madison.

Beat Stony Brook in 2016, which was definitely more surprising. SBU began the season by winning at top 25 North Dakota (who went 9-3 that season) and then blew out Richmond, who was in the top ten pretty much all season. SHU, who wound up going 1-5 in the NEC, blew out SBU, 38-10. On AGS...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 5th, 2023, 02:35 PM
#16 seed North Carolina A&T beat #1 seed Tennessee State in the opening round of the 1-AA playoffs. Although, some would argue Tennessee was VASTLY overseeded.

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2023, 03:13 PM
FCS vs. FCS Upset…

11/7/2015 - Nationally ranked #3 Chattanooga went to Macon @ 7-1, winners of 7 straight, and planned to just cake-walk over a 3-5, winless in the SoCon, obviously unranked Mercer Team comprised mostly of former walk-ons who had joined the startup of the Mercer program in the non-scholarship PFL a couple of years earlier, with just a few (pre-portal) transfers sprinkled into the mix of Mercer contributors.

But, it was not to be, as the Bears, behind the passing & tough running of QB John Russ and a Defense that rose up for a late 4th quarter 4 down goal line stand against the much larger and highly physical Mocs O, to preserve a 17-14 victory for the underdog Bears.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400799000

# 3 CHATTANOOGA (7-1, 5-0) -VS- MERCER (3-5 , 0-4)

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Chattanooga

Mercer

The post-game Team party in Maconga was a bit epic also. FUBeAR enjoyed himself! :)

The Cats
June 5th, 2023, 03:20 PM
FCS vs. FCS Upset…

11/7/2015 - Nationally ranked #3 Chattanooga went to Macon @ 7-1, winners of 7 straight, and planned to just cake-walk over a 3-5, winless in the SoCon, obviously unranked Mercer Team comprised mostly of former walk-ons who had joined the startup of the Mercer program in the non-scholarship PFL a couple of years earlier, with just a few (pre-portal) transfers sprinkled into the mix of Mercer contributors.

But, it was not to be, as the Bears, behind the passing & tough running of QB John Russ and a Defense that rose up for a late 4th quarter 4 down goal line stand against the much larger and highly physical Mocs O, to preserve a 17-14 victory for the underdog Bears.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400799000

# 3 CHATTANOOGA (7-1, 5-0) -VS- MERCER (3-5 , 0-4)

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Chattanooga

Mercer

The post-game Team party in Maconga was a bit epic also. FUBeAR enjoyed himself! :)

While that was a nice upset for the Bears, I don't think it comes anywhere close to the top 50 FCS upsets, now do you really?

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2023, 03:41 PM
While that was a nice upset for the Bears, I don't think it comes anywhere close to the top 50 FCS upsets, now do you really?
Really hate to dignify your, as usual, impotent attempt at trolling / sniping, but perhaps you missed Post #47 in this thread…

Has there has there been a thread on the top 50 upsets of FCS teams by other FCS teams? If so, a link please. — Rip van Ivytalk *emphasis added

…and the subsequent posts by 4 different posters referring to around 15 or so FCS vs. FCS upsets, which had altered the thread direction from FCS over FBS to FCS upsets over FCS teams prior to FUBeAR’s post.

….but if you did catch that thread shift … and really meant that you don’t think the upset of a #3 Nationally ranked, undefeated in the SoCon Team by a bunch of winless in the conference, walk-on’s in a 3rd year program is in the Top 50 of FCS vs. FCS upsets, FUBeAR will stipulate and spot you the 15 already-named.

You just go ahead and come up with the additional 35 better upsets to prove yourself right…and don’t forget to show your work.

FUBeAR will hang up and listen…

oh…and also, this…just for fun…from 2015, just 1 week earlier…

WESTERN CAROLINA (5-3 , 3-2) -VS- # 4 CHATTANOOGA (7-1 , 5-0)

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Loser - Western Carolina

Winner - Chattanooga

The Cats
June 5th, 2023, 04:21 PM
It's hard to understand what Western losing to Chattanooga a week before your "upset" has to do with the merits of your case? Or as usual, are you just using any attempt as usual to put down Western? It's just what I expect from you...

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2023, 04:25 PM
It's hard to understand what Western losing to Chattanooga a week before your "upset" has to do with the merits of your case? Or as usual, are you just using any attempt as usual to put down Western? It's just what I expect from you...
0 of 35. Try again.

The Cats
June 5th, 2023, 04:26 PM
Really hate to dignify your, as usual, impotent attempt at trolling / sniping, but perhaps you missed Post #47 in this thread…

You just go ahead and come up with the additional 35 better upsets to prove yourself right…and don’t forget to show your work.

FUBeAR will hang up and listen

All you had to do was look at the first post, there's 50 better upsets...

ST_Lawson
June 5th, 2023, 04:29 PM
Here's what I'm finding for "upsets" for Western...games where the team we beat was in the top 15 and we were not ranked at the time...

11/17/84 - beat #3 Indiana State, 22-2
10/12/91 - beat #15 Missouri State, 26-21
10/23/93 - beat #9 Northern Iowa, 25-23 (UNI played in the playoffs that year and lost their first-round game to #4 Boston University)
11/13/99 - beat #11 Northern Iowa, 46-27
09/14/02 - won at #14 Western Kentucky, 14-10 (WKU would win the I-AA championship that year)
10/28/06 - won at #7 Northern Iowa, 24-13
09/25/10 - won at #13 North Dakota State, 28-16 (NDSU in the playoffs that year beat Robert Morris and #4 Montana State before falling to #5 Eastern Washington)
10/20/10 - beat #12 Northern Iowa, 30-14 (UNI in the playoffs that year lost in the first round to Lehigh)
10/01/11 - beat #12 Southern Illinois, 27-21
10/11/14 - won at #10 Youngstown State, 30-24
10/17/15 - won at #12 Northern Iowa, 24-19 (UNI in the playoffs that year beat Eastern Illinois and #6 Portland State before falling to #3 NDSU)
11/21/15 - beat #5 South Dakota State, 30-24 in 2 OT (SDSU in the playoffs that year lost to Montana in the first round)
09/15/18 - beat #15 Montana, 31-27

I'd have to go back and really look at each of them in-depth to see if any would be considered truly "great" upsets, but those are

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2023, 04:30 PM
All you had to do was look at the first post, there's 50 better upsets...

Reading comprehension is just not your strong suit, is it?

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2023, 05:41 PM
Having two in the top 10 is nice.

Wish we could've had three with Auburn.

I will never not be salty about that game.

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2023, 06:30 PM
Having two in the top 10 is nice.

Wish we could've had three with Auburn.

I will never not be salty about that game.
FUBeAR feels ya … was throwing beer bottles at the TV during this sequence…

SCORE:Jacksonville State 20-13 Auburn
Jacksonville State at 03:06

1st and 10 at JSU07
POPE,Troymaine rush up middle for 3 yards to the JSU10 (Jeff Holland;M. Adams).

2nd and 7 at JSU10
Timeout Auburn, clock 02:58.

2nd and 7 at JSU10
POPE,Troymaine rush up middle for 3 yards to the JSU13 (D. Russell).

3rd and 4 at JSU13
Timeout Auburn, clock 02:51.

3rd and 4 at JSU13
POPE,Troymaine rush up middle for 1 yard to the JSU14 (D. Russell).

4th and 3 at JSU14
MacINNES,Hamish punt 17 yards to the JSU31, out-of-bounds.

3 plays , Time of Possession: 1:05

….and smashed it with a sledge hammer after this Punt. That Punter wasn’t allowed to ride the Team bus back to campus, was he?

VandalBasher
June 5th, 2023, 08:55 PM

It is in the Top 10 because Howard was +45 point dogs to UNLV. Has that ever occurred at any level?

The Cats
June 5th, 2023, 09:46 PM
Reading comprehension is just not your strong suit, is it?

So who died and appointed you the rule maker? I replied to your challenge, I can't help if you don't like it, nor do I care.

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2023, 11:49 PM
So who died and appointed you the rule maker? I replied to your challenge, I can't help if you don't like it, nor do I care.
I’m sorry your desire to ‘get’ FUBeAR compromises your ability to follow along within threads / conversations and you so often end up embarrassing yourself. It must feel terrible.

bonarae
June 6th, 2023, 12:27 AM
Meanwhile... putting Fordham's upset of the Boston Huskies in 2002 in perspective... was this game the beginning of the end for the latter in football? xchinscratchx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 6th, 2023, 05:23 AM
Meanwhile... putting Fordham's upset of the Boston Huskies in 2002 in perspective... was this game the beginning of the end for the latter in football? xchinscratchx

Fordham beat Northeastern in the 2002 1-AA/FCS playoffs....

The Cats
June 6th, 2023, 10:13 AM
I’m sorry your desire to ‘get’ FUBeAR compromises your ability to follow along within threads / conversations and you so often end up embarrassing yourself. It must feel terrible.

Well, since I started the thread, I know what it's topic is, if you want to go into left field with your posts, that something I can't control, but I don't have to follow along your with your "head" trips...

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2023, 11:01 AM
FUBeAR feels ya … was throwing beer bottles at the TV during this sequence…

SCORE:Jacksonville State 20-13 Auburn
Jacksonville State at 03:06

1st and 10 at JSU07
POPE,Troymaine rush up middle for 3 yards to the JSU10 (Jeff Holland;M. Adams).

2nd and 7 at JSU10
Timeout Auburn, clock 02:58.

2nd and 7 at JSU10
POPE,Troymaine rush up middle for 3 yards to the JSU13 (D. Russell).

3rd and 4 at JSU13
Timeout Auburn, clock 02:51.

3rd and 4 at JSU13
POPE,Troymaine rush up middle for 1 yard to the JSU14 (D. Russell).

4th and 3 at JSU14
MacINNES,Hamish punt 17 yards to the JSU31, out-of-bounds.

3 plays , Time of Possession: 1:05

….and smashed it with a sledge hammer after this Punt. That Punter wasn’t allowed to ride the Team bus back to campus, was he?
The punt didn't help. But neither did the busted coverage on Roc Thomas's touchdown catch. It's hard to pin the whole game on that one punt.

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Well, since I started the thread, I know what it's topic is, if you want to go into left field with your posts, that something I can't control, but I don't have to follow along your with your "head" trips...
Ah...So…as the thread originator and, apparently, therefore, the self-appointed curator of the thread, what are your thoughts on the following FCS vs FCS upsets, as compared to the 50 FBS over FCS upsets shown AND to the UNR Mercer FCS vs FCS upset over #3 Chattanooga in 2015?

* Jacksonville University over Delaware in 2015
* Indiana State over North Dakota State in 2012
* Merrimack over Holy Cross in 2021
* Bucknell over Holy Cross in 2009
* Rhode Island over UMass in 2007
* Holy Cross over Lehigh in 2005
* South Carolina State over Jackson State in 2021 Celebration Bowl
* Lehigh over Northern Iowa in 2010, opening round
* San Diego over Northern Arizona in the playoffs 5 or 6 years ago
* Fordham over Northeastern in 2002 Round of 16
* Colgate beat UNH on road in first round [in 2015]
* 2007 UMass...defending I-AA runner-up...lost to Delaware in the quarters
* McNeese...2004, a loss to Southeastern Louisiana
* 2014, CCSU shocked Towson in the season-opener
* Central Connecticut...2006 [beat] Georgia Southern
* Sacred Heart beat Stony Brook in 2016
* Sacred Heart beat Delaware in 2014
* #16 seed North Carolina A&T beat #1 seed Tennessee State in the opening round

Asking & interested in your insightful commentary on and evaluation of these particular upsets, because FUBeAR missed your thread curation comments as these upsets were posted in the thread [that you started] by 4 other, to use your terminology, “left field” posters as much as 6 hours prior to FUBeAR posting about the 2015 Mercer upset over Chattanooga that you felt compelled to discount immediately (within 7 minutes of FUBeAR's post) as being "not anywhere close" to qualifying for inclusion in this thread [that you started].

FUBeAR will hang up and listen...again.

The Cats
June 6th, 2023, 01:22 PM
FUBeAR will hang up and listen...again.

You hung up a long time ago. I wrote my opinion about your "upset", you don't like it, tough.

Learn to live with dissappointment, like the rest of us, without making a federal case out of your butt hurt feelings... This is my last post on this subject.

However, as I've seen - you always have to have the last word in any and every discussion - so lets have it, without expecting further replay from me.

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2023, 01:39 PM
I wrote my opinion about your "upset", you don't like it, tough.

Learn to live with dissappointment, like the rest of us, without making a federal case out of your butt hurt feelings...So…nothing at all to say about those other 15+ FCS vs FCS upsets posted before FUBeAR posted about Mercer’s 2015 upset of #3 Chattanooga? Odd.

Your silly out-of-context opinion of Mercer’s 2015 upset of Chattanooga bothers FUBeAR not in the least.

The humor in the matter is the manner in which you, without making any effort to follow the flow of the thread [that you started], felt so empowered that you thought you finally had a ‘got ya’ on FUBeAR that you had to foolishly pounce upon it with a swing-and-a-miss denigration of a completely-in-context and quite noteworthy accomplishment. And, that humor is enhanced by your inability to just say, “Oh, sorry, I missed the earlier turn of the convo to FCS vs. FCS upsets. My bad.”

Sorry & LOL

https://media.tenor.com/0Q_VSimH7YgAAAAC/charlie-brown-fail.gif