PDA

View Full Version : Potential Greatest FCS-FCS Games We've Never Seen or We'll Never See

bonarae
May 17th, 2023, 07:33 PM
This article from FBSchedules (https://fbschedules.com/the-9-greatest-college-football-games-weve-never-seen/) inspired me to do this post.

What games between teams in our subdivision (who have not moved up or dropped football while in the subdivision) we would like or would've liked to see?

In the next few posts from me in this thread, I will list mine.

bonarae
May 17th, 2023, 07:44 PM
If UTA Mavericks football proceeds and will play in the UAC (or whatever we will call it in the future)... I am going to include them in the list below:

FCS-FCS Dream Matchups among teams who have no plans to move up

UTA at UIW (potential for a great H&H series)
Montana, NDSU, Furman, UC Davis at Harvard or Yale (possible H&H)
SLU at any school with the dirtiest fans (I can't think of any scholarship FCS teams with rowdy fans as SLU's)
Any HBCU at Harvard or Yale (I'm still hungry to see who really reigns among the non-playoff contenders)
UNH or Maine at any HBCU (subtropical vs. very temperate; possible H&H)
Stony Brook vs. LIU (new Battle for Long Island)
Tommies at any directional Illinois school in the FCS (WIU, SIU, EIU) (potential for great H&H)
Valpo or Butler at Indiana State (not sure why this has never been played in football?)
Marist at Wagner
Dayton at YSU

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2023, 08:27 PM
Georgetown vs. Villanova.

KPSUL
May 17th, 2023, 10:14 PM
If UTA Mavericks football proceeds and will play in the UAC (or whatever we will call it in the future)... I am going to include them in the list below:

Both UNH and Maine played HBCUs last season. Maine @ Hampton and NCCU @ UNH. UNH plays a return game at NCCU in 2025. UNH has also played Hampton and Bethune-Cookman in the past.

Games we've never seen and would like to see?

How about NDSU vs anyone on the road during the playoffs.

MR. CHICKEN
May 18th, 2023, 06:54 AM

.....AH WOOD'VE LIKED TA SEE......2003 HENS vs.....ANY BIZONSSSS CHAMP........DOODLE-DOO!

NY Crusader 2010
May 18th, 2023, 08:41 AM
A couple of these may have been played at some point in history but I don't know for sure:

Delaware v. Princeton
Furman v. Holy Cross
Dartmouth v. Maine
William & Mary v. Fordham
Yale v. UNH
Georgetown v. Villanova
Lehigh v. Youngstown State
Ivy winner v. Celebration Bowl winner

Game I would've love to have seen last year since we were pretty much neck and neck in the rankings:

Holy Cross v. Jackson State

Also would've loved to have seen the committee give us a 7 seed last year to match up with Sacramento State in the quarters given the history between the 2 schools. In 1969 Sac State wore HC helmets in support of our team when the entire season was lost due to a hepatitis outbreak. Given that you basically could've flipped a coin between Incarnate Word and Holy Cross for who got the 7 and 8 seeds last year, it was a shame this didn't happen. Although I have to say I did enjoy watching our efforts in Brookings for 3+ quarters.

Professor Chaos
May 18th, 2023, 09:00 AM
How about anybody from the Ivy League vs anybody in the FCS playoffs???

MR. CHICKEN
May 18th, 2023, 09:53 AM
A couple of these may have been played at some point in history but I don't know for sure:

Delaware v. Princeton
Furman v. Holy Cross
Dartmouth v. Maine
William & Mary v. Fordham
Yale v. UNH
Georgetown v. Villanova
Lehigh v. Youngstown State
Ivy winner v. Celebration Bowl winner

Game I would've love to have seen last year since we were pretty much neck and neck in the rankings:

Holy Cross v. Jackson State

Also would've loved to have seen the committee give us a 7 seed last year to match up with Sacramento State in the quarters given the history between the 2 schools. In 1969 Sac State wore HC helmets in support of our team when the entire season was lost due to a hepatitis outbreak. Given that you basically could've flipped a coin between Incarnate Word and Holy Cross for who got the 7 and 8 seeds last year, it was a shame this didn't happen. Although I have to say I did enjoy watching our efforts in Brookings for 3+ quarters.

[email protected] 61/PRINCETON 8
[email protected] 35/PRINCETON 17

NY Crusader 2010
May 18th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Happened at least twice last year:

Holy Cross 38 Ivy League Champ Yale 14
Holy Cross 30 Harvard 21

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2023, 12:30 PM

Delaware v. Princeton: 2 times, last in 1982 (Delaware leads 2-0)
Furman v. Holy Cross: Once in 1975 (Furman leads, 1-0)
Dartmouth v. Maine: 8 times, last in 1998 (Dartmouth leads 7-1)
William & Mary v. Fordham: Hasn't happened
Yale v. UNH: Once in 1935 (Yale won)
Georgetown v. Villanova: 10 times, last in 1950 (Georgetown leads 7-3-0)
Lehigh v. Youngstown State, Hasn't happened
Ivy winner v. Celebration Bowl winner: Hasn't happened

OhioHen
May 18th, 2023, 12:36 PM
Delaware v. Princeton: 2 times, last in 1982 (Delaware leads 2-0)
Furman v. Holy Cross: Once in 1975 (Furman leads, 1-0)
Dartmouth v. Maine: 8 times, last in 1998 (Dartmouth leads 7-1)
William & Mary v. Fordham: Hasn't happened
Yale v. UNH: Once in 1935 (Yale won)
Georgetown v. Villanova: 10 times, last in 1950 (Georgetown leads 7-3-0)
Lehigh v. Youngstown State, Hasn't happened
Ivy winner v. Celebration Bowl winner: Won't happen
FIFY

Baron Sardonicus
May 18th, 2023, 12:51 PM

For years in which San Diego has gone to the FCS playoffs, the Ivies record v. the Toreros is 2-2.

Princeton 1-1
Harvard 1-1

wapiti
May 18th, 2023, 01:02 PM
The Ivy champ team in the playoffs

caribbeanhen
May 18th, 2023, 01:12 PM

SLU at any school with the dirtiest fans (I can't think of any scholarship FCS teams with rowdy fans as SLU's)
Any HBCU at Harvard or Yale (I'm still hungry to see who really reigns among the non-playoff contenders)
Tommies at any directional Illinois school in the FCS (WIU, SIU, EIU) (potential for great H&H)
Valpo or Butler at Indiana State (not sure why this has never been played in football?)
Marist at Wagner
Dayton at YSU

it ain’t worth fighting for

I would love to see Ivy vs SWAC or MEAC

caribbeanhen
May 18th, 2023, 01:17 PM

https://masseyratings.com/cf2018/4319

2018 Yale 35 Maine 14

Maine whipped Jacksonville St and Weber State in Utah in playoffs

NY Crusader 2010
May 18th, 2023, 01:28 PM
LIU-SBU is a good one. I still forget that LIU has FCS football now....AND they have DI hockey.

NY Crusader 2010
May 18th, 2023, 01:30 PM
Going back in time, I'd have love to have seen 2004 I-AA National Champ James Madison face 10-0 Harvard led by Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Go...gate
May 19th, 2023, 01:30 AM
[email protected] 61/PRINCETON 8
[email protected] 35/PRINCETON 17

Ouch. Saw both games in person. 1981 was especially ugly.

Go...gate
May 19th, 2023, 01:32 AM
Colgate - Grambling.

Gil Dobie
May 19th, 2023, 06:39 AM
Both UNH and Maine played HBCUs last season. Maine @ Hampton and NCCU @ UNH. UNH plays a return game at NCCU in 2025. UNH has also played Hampton and Bethune-Cookman in the past.

Games we've never seen and would like to see?

How about NDSU vs anyone on the road during the playoffs.

1-1 on the road. Win at Montana St, loss at EWU.

Professor Chaos
May 19th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Happened at least twice last year:

Holy Cross 38 Ivy League Champ Yale 14
Holy Cross 30 Harvard 21

For years in which San Diego has gone to the FCS playoffs, the Ivies record v. the Toreros is 2-2.

Princeton 1-1
Harvard 1-1
Not a playoff team I'm talking an Ivy League team in the playoffs where they'd potentially break their northeastern bubble of opponents either on the road or hosting.

POD Knows
May 19th, 2023, 10:47 AM
1-1 on the road. Win at Montana St, loss at EWU.
Lost at Sam Houston was well.

ysubigred
May 19th, 2023, 11:00 AM

Marist at Wagner
Dayton at YSUSounds crazy but in YSUs world.. Mount Union, the DIII power house from just around the block. The Purple Raiders have claimed 13 NCAA Division III Football Championship and 30 OAC titles and have 12 undefeated seasons. It would be great to see since many of the people I know from there legitimately believe they'd kick YSU and Daytons ass..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

uni88
May 19th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Sounds crazy but in YSUs world.. Mount Union, the DIII power house from just around the block. The Purple Raiders have claimed 13 NCAA Division III Football Championship and 30 OAC titles and have 12 undefeated seasons. It would be great to see since many of the people I know from there legitimately believe they'd kick YSU and Daytons ass..

I know a handful of kids who played prominent roles on North Central's D3 recent national championship teams. They're good kids and well coached but they couldn't compete with an MVFC school. I would expect YSU to kick Mt. Union's ass.

ysubigred
May 19th, 2023, 02:37 PM
I know a handful of kids who played prominent roles on North Central's D3 recent national championship teams. They're good kids and well coached but they couldn't compete with an MVFC school. I would expect YSU to kick Mt. Union's ass.I know, the kids are great. The fans and a few alumni are the guys tooting the horn. I went to one of the playoff games 2000's. Some of the kids seemed out of place with talent. Then others were HS players at best.

Ridge1982
May 19th, 2023, 04:59 PM
LIU-SBU is a good one. I still forget that LIU has FCS football now....AND they have DI hockey.
Their arena is similar to Lindenwood’s (Centene Ice Arena)

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 19th, 2023, 06:18 PM
https://masseyratings.com/cf2018/4319

2018 Yale 35 Maine 14

Maine whipped Jacksonville St and Weber State in Utah in playoffs

Went to the Yale game at the Bowl and had to play backup QB who was inadequate and left school at end of the season. Maine should have never got off the bus, terrible performance.
Consolation is our HC now was the DC for Yale then, hopefully that translates into success for Maine.

ST_Lawson
May 19th, 2023, 07:48 PM
Sounds crazy but in YSUs world.. Mount Union, the DIII power house from just around the block. The Purple Raiders have claimed 13 NCAA Division III Football Championship and 30 OAC titles and have 12 undefeated seasons. It would be great to see since many of the people I know from there legitimately believe they'd kick YSU and Daytons ass..

What they've done there is a pretty amazing accomplishment. However...
Youngstown...no...not even close. Massey says if it was played today (or the end of last season) 37-17 for the Penguins: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=539277&oid0=9217&h=0&s1=539277&oid1=5199
Obviously you gotta play the game...anything can happy on "any given Saturday", but statistically, Mt. Union would be an easier game for YSU than anyone on their schedule this year except Valpo and Robert Morris. They'd even be easier than Murray State. Also, Massey predicts that WIU would beat Mt. Union ~70% of the time...and we haven't won a game since October 2021.

Dayton...maybe...depends on the year. Massey says 31-24 for Mt. Union against the Flyers: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=539277&oid0=2085&h=0&s1=539277&oid1=5199

ysubigred
May 19th, 2023, 10:11 PM
What they've done there is a pretty amazing accomplishment. However...
Youngstown...no...not even close. Massey says if it was played today (or the end of last season) 37-17 for the Penguins: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=539277&oid0=9217&h=0&s1=539277&oid1=5199
Obviously you gotta play the game...anything can happy on "any given Saturday", but statistically, Mt. Union would be an easier game for YSU than anyone on their schedule this year except Valpo and Robert Morris. They'd even be easier than Murray State. Also, Massey predicts that WIU would beat Mt. Union ~70% of the time...and we haven't won a game since October 2021.

Dayton...maybe...depends on the year. Massey says 31-24 for Mt. Union against the Flyers: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=539277&oid0=2085&h=0&s1=539277&oid1=5199Nice.. thanks for doing that.

Gil Dobie
May 20th, 2023, 08:02 AM
Lost at Sam Houston was well.

Yep, forgot about that one.

caribbeanhen
May 20th, 2023, 09:05 AM
Yep, forgot about that one.

That might be because they actually lost to Sam Ezzard State

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 21st, 2023, 10:15 AM
Would have loved to see the 2007 NDSU team play App State.