PDA

View Full Version : FCS Possible Upsets of FBS

SU DOG
May 8th, 2023, 12:58 PM
This has been out there for a while but I can't remember seeing it posted, apologies if it has.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/03/every-fcs-vs-fbs-matchup-with-10-potential-upsets-to-watch-for-in-2023/

ysubigred
May 8th, 2023, 02:47 PM
I knew this, but beating up on Kent State and Akron annually gave YSU this crown and possibly kept the Guins out of the MAC..

Did You Know? – Youngstown State has the most FBS wins (20) out of all programs in their FCS era.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

bonarae
May 8th, 2023, 04:42 PM
Already covered here: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?328995-FCS-over-FBS-Scalp-Watch-2023

KPSUL
May 8th, 2023, 09:01 PM
I knew this, but beating up on Kent State and Akron annually gave YSU this crown and possibly kept the Guins out of the MAC..

Did You Know? – Youngstown State has the most FBS wins (20) out of all programs in their FCS era.

The FCS/FBS era started in 2006, you guys have won 20 games against FBS competition in 17 seasons?

ElCid
May 8th, 2023, 09:22 PM
The FCS/FBS era started in 2006, you guys have won 20 games against FBS competition in 17 seasons?

I think he means the 1A/1AA AKA FBS/FCS era. That would be 1978, but not all current conferences moved down until 84 or 85. I think YSU dropped from 1A to 1AA for the 81 season. Until about 84 or 85 many "FBS" wins against current FCS teams are suspect and need an asterisk as they were FBS in name only. It was a transition period. Anyone can go to the NCAA site and see those early FBS/FCS games and see.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/fcs-wins-vs-fbs-teams-all-time-victories-upsets%3famp

ysubigred
May 8th, 2023, 09:30 PM
I think he means the 1A/1AA AKA FBS/FCS era. That would be 1978, but not all current conferences moved down until 84 or 85. I think YSU dropped from 1A to 1AA for the 81 season. Until about 84 or 85 many "FBS" wins against current FCS teams are suspect and need an asterisk as they were FBS in name only. It was a transition period. Anyone can go to the NCAA site and see those early FBS/FCS games and see.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/fcs-wins-vs-fbs-teams-all-time-victories-upsets%3fampCorrect.. and that was a copy and paste from the article not my words..

Sitting Bull
May 9th, 2023, 06:57 AM
W&M I believe officially moved to 1AA in 1982 so a number of these games pre 1983 aren’t accurately FBS/FCS games.

I still think the most impressive stat is the 5 year run of consecutive FBS wins by New Hampshire.

FUBeAR
May 9th, 2023, 08:49 AM
I still think the most impressive stat is the 5 year run of consecutive FBS wins by New Hampshire.FUBeAR sees a 4 year run and a 5 wins in 6 years run by UNH

2009 SEASON

DATE
FCS TEAM
SCORE
FBS TEAM

Sept. 12
New Hampshire
23-16
Ball State

2008 SEASON

DATE
FCS TEAM
SCORE
FBS TEAM

Sept. 6
New Hampshire
28-10
Army

2007 SEASON

DATE
FCS TEAM
SCORE
FBS TEAM

Sept. 15
New Hampshire
48-35
Marshall

2006 SEASON

DATE
FCS TEAM
SCORE
FBS TEAM

Sept. 9
New Hampshire
34-17
Northwestern

2005 SEASON - No UNH FBS/I-A win listed in 2005

DATE
I-AA TEAM
SCORE
I-A TEAM

Sept. 1
Northwestern State
27-23
Louisiana-Monroe

Sept. 17
UC Davis
20-17
Stanford

2004 SEASON

DATE
I-AA TEAM
SCORE
I-A TEAM

Sept. 11
New Hampshire
35-24
Rutgers

Do you see this UNH (4 year or 5 in 6 years) run with wins over Ball State, Army, Marshall, Northwestern…and…Rutgers as more impressive than Furman’s 3 ACC wins, 1 SEC win, and 1 ACC tie in 5 straight years? FUBeAR admits to bias here, but he finds his Paladins the clear winner in this comparison.

1986 SEASON

DATE
I-AA TEAM
SCORE
I-A TEAM

NOTE: Furman tied Georgia Tech 17-17.
1985 SEASON

DATE
I-AA TEAM
SCORE
I-A TEAM

Sept. 28
Furman
42-20
North Carolina State

1984 SEASON

DATE
I-AA TEAM
SCORE
I-A TEAM

Sept. 15
Furman
34-30
North Carolina State

1983 SEASON

DATE
I-AA TEAM
SCORE
I-A TEAM

Sept. 17
Furman
17-14
Georgia Tech

1982 SEASON

DATE
I-AA TEAM
SCORE
I-A TEAM

Oct. 16
Furman
28-23
South Carolina

ElCid
May 9th, 2023, 09:03 AM
I don't know. We went 6-1 against FBS during a five year period with our only loss being 10-7 against AF. Includes wins against Arkansas, South Carolina, Army and Navy. That's right up there as one of the top runs.

FUBeAR
May 9th, 2023, 09:14 AM
I don't know. We went 6-1 against FBS during a five year period with our only loss being 10-7 against AF. Includes wins against Arkansas, South Carolina, Army and Navy. That's right up there as one of the top runs.
The 2 SEC wins puts that run ahead of UNH’s in FUBeAR’s book, but can’t say it tops 4 wins in a row over P5’s with a P5 tie as the ‘worst’ performance vs. FBS in those 5 years. It’s close though.

ElCid
May 9th, 2023, 09:34 AM
The 2 SEC wins puts that run ahead of UNH’s in FUBeAR’s book, but can’t say it tops 4 wins in a row over P5’s with a P5 tie as the ‘worst’ performance vs. FBS in those 5 years. It’s close though.

Well to be open about the data, actually 1 SEC win. Ark joined the SEC in 92 and our win was their inaugural game as an SEC member. Hehehe. South Carolina joined the SEC in 92 and we beat them in 90 when they were still one of the mighty Independents from that era.

POD Knows
May 9th, 2023, 09:35 AM
NDSU had 6 in a row from 2010 to 2016:

2010 over Kansas
2011 Over Minnesota
2012 Over Colorado State
2013 Over Kansas State
2014 Over Iowa State
2016 Over Iowa
5 of those were over P5 teams

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 9th, 2023, 09:45 AM

South Carolina was a 1-A Independent in 1990.

ElCid
May 9th, 2023, 09:46 AM

2010 over Kansas
2011 Over Minnesota
2012 Over Colorado State
2013 Over Kansas State
2014 Over Iowa State
2016 Over Iowa

Yup that's a other of the best runs.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 9th, 2023, 09:48 AM
Well to be open about the data, actually 1 SEC win. Ark joined the SEC in 92 and our win was their inaugural game as an SEC member. Hehehe. South Carolina joined the SEC in 92 and we beat them in 90 when they were still one of the mighty Independents from that era.

South Carolina was "decent" but were hardly one of the mighty independents of the time (Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, Penn State).

ElCid
May 9th, 2023, 10:01 AM
South Carolina was "decent" but were hardly one of the mighty independents of the time (Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, Penn State).

Yeah I was trying to simply differentiate them from the other independents as a group. There were a group back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s that were the big boys, and those who weren't. SC was decent but never great, but they were a whole lot better than Army, Navy, ECU, S Miss, Tulane, etc.

FUBeAR
May 9th, 2023, 10:02 AM

2010 over Kansas
2011 Over Minnesota
2012 Over Colorado State
2013 Over Kansas State
2014 Over Iowa State
2016 Over Iowa
5 of those were over P5 teamsImpressive, as were CIT’s, UNH’s, and Furman’s ‘runs.’ Someone, FUBeAR supposes, could derive a formula to rank the Opponents’ strength, the value of SEC vs other P5’s, value of P5’s vs. other FBS, value of consecutive wins, value of a tie, value/(cost) of loss within ‘run,’ etc., but short of building that model, best, IFBO, to just (respectfully) disagree (or agree) on which of the 4 is ‘the best FBS run.’

Any others in this ‘contest?’

crusader11
May 9th, 2023, 10:11 AM

2010 over Kansas
2011 Over Minnesota
2012 Over Colorado State
2013 Over Kansas State
2014 Over Iowa State
2016 Over Iowa

This was a helluva run. Kansas State and Iowa were the only two of these teams who had winning records during the seasons in which NDSU beat an FBS team.

UNH's run came against all teams who had sub .500 records and only one (Northwestern) was P5.

ElCid
May 9th, 2023, 10:27 AM
This was a helluva run. Kansas State and Iowa were the only two of these teams who had winning records during the seasons in which NDSU beat an FBS team.

UNH's run came against all teams who had sub .500 records and only one (Northwestern) was P5.

Of the 6 wins we had on our run, only one, South Carolina had a winning record that year. Our one FBS loss, by 3 points, was to a bowl winner AF.

KPSUL
May 9th, 2023, 06:31 PM
All of these runs vs FBS teams were very impressive, hard to pick a best one. However, if you put me in an arm bar and don't let go until a pick one, I'm going to have to say NDSU. It is also the most recent. On paper, Furman's may be 2nd, however, a lot of schools were still in transition between the two subdivisions and and a lot of teams were not playing any 1A vs 1AA games until the early 2000's and some that were played were long standing traditional rivalries.

When was the Citadel's run? I recall a recent win over South Carolina and maybe Georgia Tech?

UNH won the 5 wins in 6 years (your right, there was no FBS game in one of those 6 years) when they were truly offensive innovators with Chip Kelly at Offensive Coordinator. A lot of those 1A/FBS teams could not effectively defend it.

FUBeAR
May 9th, 2023, 07:11 PM
Furman's may be 2nd, however, a lot of schools were still in transition between the two subdivisions and and a lot of teams were not playing any 1A vs 1AA games until the early 2000's and some that were played were long standing traditional rivalries.Furman pretty much played the same ‘type’ of schedule during the ‘82-‘86 ‘run’ as the Paladins do today - 1 or 2 FBS, almost always P5 ACC or SEC, 7 or 8 SoCon games, and 2 or 3 other OOC games, with 1 of those possibly D2/NAIA.

The real difference in the ‘eras’ was that in those days, Furman only funded 55 scholarships while the I-A/FBS schools the Paladins defeated had 95. That’s a -40 deficit vs. the -22 of today.

Oh…and the SoCon Schools, Furman was whippin’ from ‘78-‘83 to win 5 SoCon Championships in 6 seasons, most of them had 95 (vs. 55) scholarships too. Just sayin’

ElCid
May 9th, 2023, 07:24 PM
When was the Citadel's run? I recall a recent win over South Carolina and maybe Georgia Tech?

88 to 92 (7 games in 5 years) including a game against Navy AT The Citadel. One of the few FBS at FCS after the split. Fairly sure we used to outdraw them back then, but the big selling point was playing locally for the Charleston Navy base personnel.

ysubigred
May 9th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Well, it's always great for any of the FCS teams to beat the FBS.. YSU's last big FBS W was against P5 Pitt.

Although it seems this has become a dick measuring content, YSU has the biggest 20 mofos. xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
May 9th, 2023, 07:58 PM
Although it seems this has become a dick measuring content, YSU has the biggest 20 mofos.
Weren’t most of those wins over MAC schools?

https://calcresource.com/images/convert-cm-inches.rev.3d4138e2a4.png
MAC = Metric Athletics Conference?

ysubigred
May 9th, 2023, 08:16 PM
Weren’t most of those wins over MAC schools?

https://calcresource.com/images/convert-cm-inches.rev.3d4138e2a4.png
MAC = Metric Athletics Conference?LOL.. you betcha.. that's why my original post was not of a chest thumping display of braggery. Just a useless has been stat. I think the only ones impressed or overwhelmed,, was the MAC voting body that didn't vote in YSU for their conference back when the Guins applied [emoji1787]

ST_Lawson
May 10th, 2023, 08:17 AM
LOL.. you betcha.. that's why my original post was not of a chest thumping display of braggery. Just a useless has been stat. I think the only ones impressed or overwhelmed,, was the MAC voting body that didn't vote in YSU for their conference back when the Guins applied [emoji1787]

From a school who's "successful run" against FBS teams came in the late '90s and early '00s and was against Northern Illinois (3 times), Ball State, and Eastern Michigan...I know that feel bro. Don't get me wrong, Western was pretty good in those days, but against those teams, in that timeframe...we had much tougher matchups in our own conference. Usually against UNI and YSU, and later in that span, Western Kentucky.

ysubigred
May 10th, 2023, 09:00 AM
From a school who's "successful run" against FBS teams came in the late '90s and early '00s and was against Northern Illinois (3 times), Ball State, and Eastern Michigan...I know that feel bro. Don't get me wrong, Western was pretty good in those days, but against those teams, in that timeframe...we had much tougher matchups in our own conference. Usually against UNI and YSU, and later in that span, Western Kentucky.Even as bad as you all are now, YSU still struggles with your team. Back in the day, I believe WIU had the upper hand.

NY Crusader 2010
May 10th, 2023, 03:33 PM
LOL.. you betcha.. that's why my original post was not of a chest thumping display of braggery. Just a useless has been stat. I think the only ones impressed or overwhelmed,, was the MAC voting body that didn't vote in YSU for their conference back when the Guins applied [emoji1787]

When did YSU apply to join the MAC?

The MAC has always seemed apprehensive to expand. The only moves they've made since I've been old enough to follow college sports were adding Marshall and Buffalo in the late '90's for all sports, adding UCF as a football-only affiliate for a few years in the early 2000's, adding Temple as a football affiliate in 2005 which actually catalyzed the Owls' return to football respectability and adding UMASS as an affiliate in the early 2010's, which was a total disaster. Meanwhile, no full members have LEFT the MAC during that time, with the exception of Marshall.

You would have thought that the MAC, with all the constant shuffling amongst the other FBS conferences the last 30 years, would have looked to expand it's geographic footprint outside of the traditional rust belt but it instead has doubled down on stability. Not a bad thing when it's all said and done. Imagine opining in 2002 that the MAC would be in a better place in the college football world in 20 years than Conference USA would be.

ST_Lawson
May 10th, 2023, 03:48 PM
Even as bad as you all are now, YSU still struggles with your team. Back in the day, I believe WIU had the upper hand.

It does kinda feel like we're somewhat linked. When YSU is good, WIU is often good. When YSU is bad, WIU is often bad. You guys lead the overall series (21-14) though, and the series since you joined the conference in 1997 (14-9). Although some of your feeling about YSU struggling with us could be because we were one of only two losses you guys had back in the national championship season of '97, and then in '99 when you were the runner-up, you only beat us by 4. We had a good stretch against you from '97 to '03 (5-2 for WIU), but since then (the last ~20 years), YSU has a big advantage (12-4 for YSU).

ysubigred
May 10th, 2023, 06:47 PM
When did YSU apply to join the MAC?

The MAC has always seemed apprehensive to expand. The only moves they've made since I've been old enough to follow college sports were adding Marshall and Buffalo in the late '90's for all sports, adding UCF as a football-only affiliate for a few years in the early 2000's, adding Temple as a football affiliate in 2005 which actually catalyzed the Owls' return to football respectability and adding UMASS as an affiliate in the early 2010's, which was a total disaster. Meanwhile, no full members have LEFT the MAC during that time, with the exception of Marshall.

You would have thought that the MAC, with all the constant shuffling amongst the other FBS conferences the last 30 years, would have looked to expand it's geographic footprint outside of the traditional rust belt but it instead has doubled down on stability. Not a bad thing when it's all said and done. Imagine opining in 2002 that the MAC would be in a better place in the college football world in 20 years than Conference USA would be.I believe it was 93-94. All members had to vote in YSU, but Kent and Akron didn't make it unanimous. Later it was said YSU also had a $$ commitment issue to boot.

EKU05
May 11th, 2023, 08:54 AM
Last year we played two MAC teams. We beat one and played a one-possession game with the other. I expect our team to be better this season, but I think our FBS win chances go down with us opening the season with back-to-back trips to Cincinnati and Kentucky.

BigGreenTruck
May 12th, 2023, 12:46 AM

It had nothing to do with Youngstown beating Kent and Akron. It had everything to do with Youngstown's 10.13 million dollar athletic budget (MAC schools budget at the time was 21-26 million). And the Youngstown State facilities or lack there of. In 1995 when the MAC expanded it took NIU, Buffalo and Marshall and rejected Youngstown' application. At that time YSU had not updated any facility for 12 years. Youngstown was also in Title IX hell, they had never been Title IX compliant. And they weren't until the NCAA started to hand out fines which started in 2002, so another 7 years.

Here is an article with Jim Tressel on June 15 1995 about the MAC declining the YSU application: Fjo_Rw2WAAAl0JH (1107×924) (twimg.com) (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fjo_Rw2WAAAl0JH?format=jpg&name=medium)

ysubigred
May 12th, 2023, 01:37 AM
It had nothing to do with Youngstown beating Kent and Akron. It had everything to do with Youngstown's 10.13 million dollar athletic budget (MAC schools budget at the time was 21-26 million). And the Youngstown State facilities or lack there of. In 1995 when the MAC expanded it took NIU, Buffalo and Marshall and rejected Youngstown' application. At that time YSU had not updated any facility for 12 years. Youngstown was also in Title IX hell, they had never been Title IX compliant. And they weren't until the NCAA started to hand out fines which started in 2002, so another 7 years.

Here is an article with Jim Tressel on June 15 1995 about the MAC declining the YSU application: Fjo_Rw2WAAAl0JH (1107×924) (twimg.com) (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fjo_Rw2WAAAl0JH?format=jpg&name=medium)This^^ see my post above. Didn't remember the woman's sports issue.