PDA

View Full Version : New Haven Chargers

bonarae
April 29th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Not sure where to put this...

Update: they have turned down invitations from "several" G5 / non-football conferences...

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/unh-officials-take-measured-approach-division-17915922.php

DFW HOYA
April 29th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Several? America East, NEC, MAAC...maybe they're waiting for that Patriot League call.

UNHWildcat18
April 29th, 2023, 07:47 PM
Several? America East, NEC, MAAC...maybe they're waiting for that Patriot League call.

I highly doubt the AE would want them..... I honestly don't see what the fuss is about them, small school, no amazing campus/facilities. Should just stay D2 IMO

CenMEBlackBearFan
April 29th, 2023, 09:26 PM
I highly doubt the AE would want them..... I honestly don't see what the fuss is about them, small school, no amazing campus/facilities. Should just stay D2 IMO

Surely you don't want two UNH'sxlolx

aceinthehole
April 30th, 2023, 01:25 AM
The only invite they may have said "no" to would be from the MEAC.

They aren't turning down an NEC invite and they are not getting an AE, MAAC, or any other invite.

This more likely means the CCSU and SHU "block" of a NEC invite and this just a face saving way for them to simply say they aren't interested right now.

KPSUL
April 30th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Obviously they are holding out for the Ivy League.

caribbeanhen
April 30th, 2023, 09:56 AM
If they could move New Haven about 700 miles south they might have a shot

KPSUL
April 30th, 2023, 01:29 PM
If they could move New Haven about 700 miles south they might have a shot

That would probably be fine with Yale!

Baron Sardonicus
May 1st, 2023, 01:27 PM
When he was an athletic director, Sheahon Zenger ran the Kansas football program into the ground. Although Jayhawk men's basketball was having great success, Zenger's football misadventures were so bad that they fired him. So yeah, I'd tread carefully if I were in his shoes.

KPSUL
May 1st, 2023, 02:22 PM
Surely you don't want two UNH'sxlolx

Not as badly as Maine doesn't want to see two UNHsxlmaox

Dane96
May 1st, 2023, 02:31 PM
This is horse manure. Spoke to several people the other day after Ray Curren tweeted it. They have not received an invite to the NEC due to SHU and CCSU. They most certainly have not received any overtures from either the MAAC or the AE that came from both of those leagues. They have had deep discussions with the MEAC, so that part may be somewhat true.

This is all spin doctoring for the board as they just dropped tens of millions on an athletic performance center. Personally, and I do understand why CCSU wouldn't want this, I think the NEC should accept both LeMoyne and UNH.

aceinthehole
May 1st, 2023, 04:40 PM
This is horse manure. Spoke to several people the other day after Ray Curren tweeted it. They have not received an invite to the NEC due to SHU and CCSU. They most certainly have not received any overtures from either the MAAC or the AE that came from both of those leagues. They have had deep discussions with the MEAC, so that part may be somewhat true.

This is all spin doctoring for the board as they just dropped tens of millions on an athletic performance center. Personally, and I do understand why CCSU wouldn't want this, I think the NEC should accept both LeMoyne and UNH.

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason why New Haven would say "no" to an invite from the NEC - that is the plan they have had for years now. They may have said no to the MEAC and possibly the OVC.

While Dane has a valid point that the NEC should probably add both schools; the only immediate need is to replace St. Francis Brooklyn and get back to 9 basketball schools. And since SFNY didn't sponsor football, the NEC can afford to invite just LeMoyne for the 2023-24 season and NEC Football will remain at 8 members.

I think in the long-term, UNH will get an NEC invite, but since they aren't a candidate for any other regional league they will be on the board for the NEC at any time.

NY Crusader 2010
May 1st, 2023, 05:22 PM
Did the NEC formally invite LeMoyne yet? I've thought for years that the MAAC should have brought them in. Good get for the NEC if they do go that direction. I think there's definite upside there.

aceinthehole
May 1st, 2023, 05:51 PM
Did the NEC formally invite LeMoyne yet? I've thought for years that the MAAC should have brought them in. Good get for the NEC if they do go that direction. I think there's definite upside there.

Not official yet, but hearing it's just a formality at this point. Will be done in next 60 days (before July 1).

LeMoyne previously played Baseball and WLax in the MAAC and were very successful. They were dropped as an associate member because they were investing and winning more than the full members.

Should be a decent add for the NEC and better than St. Francis Brooklyn overall. A little outside of the NY metro - New England footprint, but a few bus trips to Syracuse won't break the budget for league members. They will also be able to find lots of non-conference games.

NY Crusader 2010
May 4th, 2023, 07:27 AM
HC Women's LAX played LeMoyne in an NCAA Play-In game my freshman year. We won and got absolutely destroyed by Northwestern in the Round of 16.

Redbird 4th & short
May 4th, 2023, 09:40 AM
There isa relevant ISUr connection here, and New Haven may have big plans. Former ISUr AD Sheahon Zenger was very widely praised during his time at ISUr, before he was hired away by Kansas. That didn't work out, so he decided to dial it down and became AD at New Haven where his daughter was going to college. He has since been promoted to President of University because of how well he was doign as their AD, especially with fund raising. ISUr fans would take him back in a nanosecond, especially since our recent AD scandal has us looking for one.

But I would not under-estimate New Haven with Zenger now in charge of the university -- he knows what he is doing and is obviously very sports minded.

https://www.newhaven.edu/about/administration/president/index.php

edit: correction, he is interim president, so may be a trial period or may be just interim