PDA

View Full Version : FCS DRaft?

Milktruck74
April 26th, 2023, 04:14 PM
So Who is the first FCS player taken in the Draft? FCS kids tend to come in a little later, but many of those tend to have long careers...More of a clydesdale horse and not a flash in the pan thoroughbred.....so who goes first?

ysubigred
April 26th, 2023, 04:17 PM
So Who is the first FCS player taken in the Draft? FCS kids tend to come in a little later, but many of those tend to have long careers...More of a clydesdale horse and not a flash in the pan thoroughbred.....so who goes first?Forgot his name, but the OL from NDSU

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
April 26th, 2023, 04:20 PM
Feeling like it is going to come from the Dakotas....either MAuch from NDSU or Kraft from SDSu.... one of them will be first, but there will be at least 15 before the draft is complete....

SteelSD
April 26th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Feeling like it is going to come from the Dakotas....either MAuch from NDSU or Kraft from SDSu.... one of them will be first, but there will be at least 15 before the draft is complete....
I think that pretty much the consensus from the pundits. Likely Mauch in round 2 and Kraft round 3. There's a chance they could each go a round higher but this seems like the most likely scenario.

ysubigred
April 26th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Feeling like it is going to come from the Dakotas....either MAuch from NDSU or Kraft from SDSu.... one of them will be first, but there will be at least 15 before the draft is complete....How do you feel about the YSU TB Jaleel McLaughlin? Not sure he helped his chances in the Hula Bowl..

Bisonator
April 27th, 2023, 06:59 AM
I think that pretty much the consensus from the pundits. Likely Mauch in round 2 and Kraft round 3. There's a chance they could each go a round higher but this seems like the most likely scenario.
Agree this is most likely.

Paladin1aa
April 27th, 2023, 07:15 AM
How do you feel about the YSU TB Jaleel McLaughlin? Not sure he helped his chances in the Hula Bowl..

Late. 6th or 7th round. Might even fall to free agent. Strictly a 3rd down or special teams player and far too small to be an every down back.

ysubigred
April 27th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Late. 6th or 7th round. Might even fall to free agent. Strictly a 3rd down or special teams player and far too small to be an every down back.What I was thinking. Such a prolific runner at the FCS and div 2 level. Don't see anyone breaking his career ncaa rushing record for awhile.

JacksFan40
April 28th, 2023, 10:26 AM

I'm seeing Kraft in the 2nd to Dallas right now.

SteelSD
April 28th, 2023, 01:07 PM
I'm seeing Kraft in the 2nd to Dallas right now.
I hope you are right. However that is the same organization that had Will Levis going 19 to TB...

Milktruck74
April 28th, 2023, 06:49 PM
Here we go....Tonight should see one FCS guy!!! I feel it!!!

Bisonator
April 28th, 2023, 07:36 PM
Cody was pick 48 to Tampa Bay.

ysubigred
April 28th, 2023, 07:38 PM
Cody was pick 48 to Tampa Bay.Yup just seen it.

POD Knows
April 28th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Cody was pick 48 to Tampa Bay.
First non P5 pick if my review of the draft is correct.

ysubigred
April 28th, 2023, 09:18 PM
Mapu Sac St then Kraft SDSU. Next two from the FCS..

POD Knows
April 28th, 2023, 09:20 PM
Mapu Sac St then Kraft SDSU. Next two from the FCS..

Kraft to Green Bay and Mapu to New England.

ysubigred
April 28th, 2023, 09:24 PM
Late. 6th or 7th round. Might even fall to free agent. Strictly a 3rd down or special teams player and far too small to be an every down back.LOL just seen a 5-9 188 lb RB from TX A&M went in the 3rd round.. I'm sure Jaleel is as big or bigger than that. So size isn't a determination selecting a back in the NFL..

SteelSD
April 29th, 2023, 12:50 AM
LOL just seen a 5-9 188 lb RB from TX A&M went in the 3rd round.. I'm sure Jaleel is as big or bigger than that. So size isn't a determination selecting a back in the NFL..

No, but if you are that size running a 4.32 40 helps. That and being successful in the SEC.

ysubigred
April 29th, 2023, 05:10 AM
No, but if you are that size running a 4.32 40 helps. That and being successful in the SEC.Yup. My point size doesn't matter. Hell, playing in a **** hole conference and setting the ncaa career rushing record won't get you anywhere. I'm not sure of Jaleels 40 time, but I didn't see any mvfc D players ever catch him from behind.

SteelSD
April 29th, 2023, 07:20 AM
Yup. My point size doesn't matter. Hell, playing in a **** hole conference and setting the ncaa career rushing record won't get you anywhere. I'm not sure of Jaleels 40 time, but I didn't see any mvfc D players ever catch him from behind.

Woah man, slow your roll. I think Jaleel is a stud. My point was Achane was always going to go in the 3-4 round because the dude is world class fast.

And do you honestly think I would consider the MVFC a ****hole conference?

ysubigred
April 29th, 2023, 07:30 AM
Woah man, slow your roll. I think Jaleel is a stud. My point was Achane was always going to go in the 3-4 round because the dude is world class fast.

And do you honestly think I would consider the MVFC a ****hole conference?It's not the SEC.. but said to be the SEC of FCS.
A bit of a sarcastic response with the sh conference.

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2023, 01:54 PM
OT Colby Sorsdal from W&M goes to the Lions with the 152nd pick in the fifth round.

SFA 93
April 29th, 2023, 03:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fu54jDqWIAgCej_?format=jpg&name=medium

bonarae
April 29th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Princeton's Andrei Iosivas, 6th round, 206th overall, to Bengals.

Wagner's Titus Leo, 6th round, 211th overall, to Colts.

Kennesaw State's Travis Bell, 7th round, 218th overall, to Bears.

bonarae
April 29th, 2023, 04:46 PM
UTM's Colton Dowell, 7th round, 228th overall, to Titans.

bonarae
April 29th, 2023, 05:59 PM
That's all for the 2023 NFL Draft. This thread will continue for the PFA, FA, minicamp and tryout signings from the FCS.

SFA 93
April 29th, 2023, 06:54 PM
The New York Jets are expected to sign Stephen F. Austin WR Xavier Gipson to an UDFA contract

ysubigred
April 29th, 2023, 07:32 PM
The New York Jets are expected to sign Stephen F. Austin WR Xavier Gipson to an UDFA contract

Nice give Aaron Rogers a target

bonarae
April 29th, 2023, 07:35 PM
I forgot Isaiah Bolden of Jackson State, 7th round, 245th overall, to the Pats.

Graduate transfer Kobie Turner, formerly of Richmond and drafted from Wake Forest, was selected by the Rams in the 3rd round, 89th overall.

MUHAWKS
April 29th, 2023, 09:34 PM
Monmouth RB Owen Wright signs FA contract with The Ravens. He may actually have a shot to make the team as he played every special team and did it well. He was our short yardage back and had 17 TD's. He can catch and pass block and his 99 yard TD against Albany was proven no fluke as he ran a 4.53 at 2 pro days. Teams covet a guy who can play specials and 2-3 positions with 1 roster spot.

bonarae
April 29th, 2023, 10:22 PM
PFA, FA, minicamp and tryout list:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/ready-to-make-noise-fcs-undrafted-free-agent-tracker-following-2023-nfl-draft

SFA 93
April 30th, 2023, 08:07 AM
Former SFA player CB Myles Brooks 6-1; 201 is signing with the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent.

Played his senior season at LA Tech

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2023, 09:33 AM
10 FCS players taken in the 2023 NFL draft (https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-04-29/fcs-players-taken-2023-nfl-draft)

10 FCS players selected in the 2023 NFL draft​

See every FCS player selected below:

PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
ROUND (PICK)
OVERALL PICK
NFL TEAM

Cody Mauch
OL
North Dakota State
2 (17)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Marte Mapu
LB/S
Sacramento State
3 (13)
New England Patriots

Tucker Kraft
TE
South Dakota State
3 (15)
Green Bay Packers

Colby Sorsdal
OT
William & Mary
5 (18)
Detroit Lions

B.J. Thompson
DE
Stephen F. Austin
5 (32)
Kansas City Chiefs

Andrei Iosivas
WR
Princeton
6 (29)
Cincinnati Bengals

Titus Leo
LB
Wagner
6 (34)
Indianapolis Colts

Travis Bell
DT
Kennesaw State
7 (1)
Chicago Bears

Colton Dowell
WR
UT Martin
7 (11)
Tennessee Titans

Isaiah Bolden
CB
Jackson State
7 (28)
New England Patriots

The 10 FCS players drafted are less than the 20 players selected n 2022. However, it is more than the five players selected in the 2021 draft and and six players in the 2020 draft class.

Number of FCS NFL draft picks over the last decade:

2014- 19
2015- 17
2016- 20
2017- 15
2018- 19
2019- 13
2020- 6
2021- 5
2022- 20
2023- 10

crusader11
April 30th, 2023, 11:25 AM
Holy Cross’ Liam Anderson and John Smith to the Colts and Jets as UDFA, respectively.

kdinva
April 30th, 2023, 02:15 PM
VMI diploma holders Rob Soderholm and Reece Udinski going to Seattle's rookie camp.

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 1st, 2023, 06:31 AM
Maine's Zavier Scott(TE)UDFA and Mike Gerace (OL) rookie camp and both to the Colts.

UAalum72
May 1st, 2023, 08:14 AM
Albany TE Thomas Greaney signs a three-year contract with Cleveland as an undrafted free agent

SteelSD
May 1st, 2023, 08:35 AM
SDSU's Caleb Sanders UDFA with the NY football Giants.

AmsterBison
May 1st, 2023, 08:42 AM
Josh Hayes got drafted too (he played four seasons at NDSU before transferring to Kansas State):

Josh Hayes - Football - NDSU (gobison.com) (https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/josh-hayes/8442)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_o9h_aNN2w

Redbird 4th & short
May 1st, 2023, 08:52 AM
ISUr was a little surprised LBer Zeke Vandenburgh wasn't a late round draft pick. He won Buck Buchanan, DPOY in MVFC, all americans, led FCS in sacks and TFs per game. He even got mentioned in NFL draft interviews by both OL Mauch and TE Kraft as the toughest opponent they each faced.

But Redbirds currently have 3 UDFAs:

LB Zeke signs with Dolphins

DT/DE Jason Lewan signs with Packers

TE Tanner Taula signs with Bucs

ysubigred
May 1st, 2023, 12:38 PM
As red bird stated.. YSU is a bit surprised that the ncaa career leader in most yards gained, all American 1st team, etc, wasn't drafted..

Nevertheless, both YSU players that were in the mix both received UDFA'S

McAllister OL with the LA Rams

McLaughlin RB with the Denver Broncos

Milktruck74
May 2nd, 2023, 07:53 AM
Raiders just inked McClendon Curtis in the Biggest UDFA deal...$210k just to show up at camp. HE should have a pretty solid shot making the 53.

Redbird 4th & short
May 2nd, 2023, 11:00 AM
Found this site with list dated April 29th .. number is at 151 post-draft signings per following criteria: "Here are leading undrafted FCS players (and those who made one-year final-season transfers to the FBS) with free agent agreements and contracts or mini-camp invites, according to announcements and reports:"

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/ready-to-make-noise-fcs-undrafted-free-agent-tracker-following-2023-nfl-draft

p.s. apologies if this is redundant link

Redbird 4th & short
May 2nd, 2023, 03:25 PM
PFA, FA, minicamp and tryout list:

aha .. bonarae already found this link.

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2023, 09:43 PM
So, this is pretty cool. “Project X” - for the past 5 drafts this reporter has selected a Player via an extensive process that she believes is “the most overlooked” Player in the Draft. Then she writes up a piece or a series of pieces about the Player’s ‘journey’ without ID’ing him. Then media & social media have fun trying to figure out the identity of Project X and she writes a follow-up piece post-draft ID’ing the Player. Really better & more interesting than FUBeAR just made it sound.

FUBeAR was particularly interested this year as one of his favorite Players - former Mercer WR/RS, David Durden, was “Project X.” Wound up signing a ‘competitively high $’ UDFA Contract with the Dallas Cowboys and FUBeAR would not be the least surprised to see him excel in the NFL as he did at Mercer and D2 West Florida, after transferring from Mercer. He is, and hopefully will be, fun to watch.

IF INTERESTED … See the 1st Tweet for the 1st Project X article…and then you can find the rest. I’ve also added, for your viewing pleasure, a couple of highlight reels - a Tweet from W. FL and a YouTube vid from his Mercer days (apologies for the language in the music accompanying the Mercer clip. Just turn the sound off - crappy rap with horrible language).

https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1650849498464149504
https://twitter.com/uwffootball/status/1652454050015719424
https://twitter.com/mathbomb/status/1652492316962172929

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kArL46SIVCs

kdinva
May 3rd, 2023, 11:03 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-the-problem-with-deion-sanders-acting-like-a-hero-for-hbcu-athletes-201732560.html

smallcollegefbfan
May 3rd, 2023, 02:45 PM

I missed this thread before and I will tell you I thought we would have 13-16 drafted but only had 10.

I have a feeling we might see less than 15 from FCS drafted quite often due to so many quality players entering the portal. As some have already alluded to we have a lot of quality players getting drafted or signed that left FCS programs for FBS. Dalton Kincaid went 1st round and was at San Diego to start. Myles Brooks from SFA to La Tech, Josh Hayes drafted from KSU began at NDSU, Kobie Turner drafted out of Wake Forest but started out at Richmond, Brodric Martin out of WKU went 3rd round and began his career at North Alabama, Jalen Brooks from South Carolina drafted in 7th round started out at Tarleton State, Arkansas kicker Jake Bates signed to a team and he began his career at Central Arkansas, etc.

smallcollegefbfan
May 3rd, 2023, 03:02 PM
So, this is pretty cool. “Project X” - for the past 5 drafts this reporter has selected a Player via an extensive process that she believes is “the most overlooked” Player in the Draft. Then she writes up a piece or a series of pieces about the Player’s ‘journey’ without ID’ing him. Then media & social media have fun trying to figure out the identity of Project X and she writes a follow-up piece post-draft ID’ing the Player. Really better & more interesting than FUBeAR just made it sound.

FUBeAR was particularly interested this year as one of his favorite Players - former Mercer WR/RS, David Durden, was “Project X.” Wound up signing a ‘competitively high $’ UDFA Contract with the Dallas Cowboys and FUBeAR would not be the least surprised to see him excel in the NFL as he did at Mercer and D2 West Florida, after transferring from Mercer. He is, and hopefully will be, fun to watch.

IF INTERESTED … See the 1st Tweet for the 1st Project X article…and then you can find the rest. I’ve also added, for your viewing pleasure, a couple of highlight reels - a Tweet from W. FL and a YouTube vid from his Mercer days (apologies for the language in the music accompanying the Mercer clip. Just turn the sound off - crappy rap with horrible language).

https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1650849498464149504
https://twitter.com/uwffootball/status/1652454050015719424
https://twitter.com/mathbomb/status/1652492316962172929

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kArL46SIVCs

I was really surprised he did not get drafted late. I thought he would go in the 6th or 7th round. Most scouts I know felt pretty sure he would get picked. I don't see how Durden did not get an invite to a top 4 all-star game.

Milktruck74
May 4th, 2023, 06:07 AM
I missed this thread before and I will tell you I thought we would have 13-16 drafted but only had 10.

I have a feeling we might see less than 15 from FCS drafted quite often due to so many quality players entering the portal. As some have already alluded to we have a lot of quality players getting drafted or signed that left FCS programs for FBS. Dalton Kincaid went 1st round and was at San Diego to start. Myles Brooks from SFA to La Tech, Josh Hayes drafted from KSU began at NDSU, Kobie Turner drafted out of Wake Forest but started out at Richmond, Brodric Martin out of WKU went 3rd round and began his career at North Alabama, Jalen Brooks from South Carolina drafted in 7th round started out at Tarleton State, Arkansas kicker Jake Bates signed to a team and he began his career at Central Arkansas, etc.

Yep, in the era of Free Agency College Football talent will rise up and get poached by the FBS schools. Also, I think NFL teams Draft from FBS and sign UDFAs with FCS kids. I think a UDFA has about the same shot at making the 53 as a 6th-7th rounder. They just miss out on the money in the early going...I would be interested to know how many FCS guys end up with camp invites over the years. While the draft number tends to fluctuate quite a bit, I'd bet that list is fairly static.

Milktruck74
May 4th, 2023, 06:17 AM
By the numbers

32 teams have 53 roster spots, so 1696 total players each year (not adjusting for in/out injury).

Average career is 3.5 years, so every year 484 players need to be replaced. (some years more some less)

7 draft rounds or 224 spots taken by draftees (assuming everybody makes the 53)

260 UDFA roster spots per year on average. And 158 FCS kids have the opportunity to EARN their way in to one of those spots!!!

ST_Lawson
May 4th, 2023, 08:27 AM
Yep, in the era of Free Agency College Football talent will rise up and get poached by the FBS schools. Also, I think NFL teams Draft from FBS and sign UDFAs with FCS kids. I think a UDFA has about the same shot at making the 53 as a 6th-7th rounder. They just miss out on the money in the early going...I would be interested to know how many FCS guys end up with camp invites over the years. While the draft number tends to fluctuate quite a bit, I'd bet that list is fairly static.

I hadn't thought about that, but it's a good point. We didn't have anyone drafted, but two former Leathernecks ended up getting UDFA opportunities after spending their final year elsewhere:
Dallas Daniels (Denver Broncos) - WR who did two years at a couple of community colleges, 2 years at Western Illinois, and finished up at Jackson State.
Darius Joiner (Houston Texans) - Safety who spent 4 years at Jacksonville State, 1 year at Western Illinois, and finished up his last year at Duke.

ncspiderfan
May 5th, 2023, 03:12 PM
I forgot Isaiah Bolden of Jackson State, 7th round, 245th overall, to the Pats.

Graduate transfer Kobie Turner, formerly of Richmond and drafted from Wake Forest, was selected by the Rams in the 3rd round, 89th overall.

Kobie Turner started as a Preferred Walk-on at Richmond
Congrats to him Lot of hard work paid off for a really good kid

SU DOG
May 6th, 2023, 09:03 AM
Hope this hasn't been posted. I think it is somewhat interesting, but I don't know why 2015 was selected

https://herosports.com/fcs-teams-most-nfl-draft-picks-2015-bzbz/