PDA

View Full Version : The Montana Rule?

crunifan
November 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
So I was listening to UNI's Radio Show this evening and Gary Rima (our play by play guy) was interviewing our Athletic Director Rick Hartzell about what UNI is allowed (and not allowed) to do during play off games.

UNI fans were under the idea (due to 2005 procedures) that we were not allowed our band, the announcer can't show bias, we can't enter like usual (with all the fanfare), and the announcer can't do team cheers (And that's another Panther...FIRST DOWN).

Hartzell said that due to Montana, we are allowed to do all these things. There will be a few restrictions on replay on the video board, but other than that it remains business as usual at the Dome. He said they also call it the Montana Rule.

Is this common knowledge or is this new?

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Common knowledge. But I recall the griz announcer not doing FIRST DOOOOOOOOOWN: Montana, at some point during the last season. I don't know if it was temporary or a rule for playoffs. I forgot when it was. But Everything goes normally for playoffs. They can't control it.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM
So I was listening to UNI's Radio Show this evening and Gary Rima (our play by play guy) was interviewing our Athletic Director Rick Hartzell about what UNI is allowed (and not allowed) to do during play off games.

UNI fans were under the idea (due to 2005 procedures) that we were not allowed our band, the announcer can't show bias, we can't enter like usual (with all the fanfare), and the announcer can't do team cheers (And that's another Panther...FIRST DOWN).

Hartzell said that due to Montana, we are allowed to do all these things. There will be a few restrictions on replay on the video board, but other than that it remains business as usual at the Dome. He said they also call it the Montana Rule.

IMO that's why you play for the home field advantage.

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM

I'm not sure about the legitimacy of the name but I know that Montana must do the following things

-There could be no advertisements in their usual spots within the stadium, either they were taken down or banners that said "NCAA" replaced them. I think this is still in effect.

-Montana was not allowed to use their cannon after scores although I think they did away with this rule in 2000 or 2001 so this is the only rule I know that was changed for the Griz.

-The PA announcer thing is not true - he can not show any bias at the playoff games - he is monotone in delivery and where he would usually give an emphatic "That's ANOTHER FIRST DOWN...." He just says "First down..." but the crowd still yells "MONTANA"

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure about the legitimacy of the name but I know that Montana must do the following things

-There could be no advertisements in their usual spots within the stadium, either they were taken down or banners that said "NCAA" replaced them. I think this is still in effect.

-Montana was not allowed to use their cannon after scores although I think they did away with this rule in 2000 or 2001 so this is the only rule I know that was changed for the Griz.

-The PA announcer thing is not true - he can not show any bias at the playoff games - he is monotone in delivery and where he would usually give an emphatic "That's ANOTHER FIRST DOWN...." He just says "First down..." but the crowd still yells "MONTANA"

oh yeah, that's it. And I don't remember the banner rule.

MTGrizzFan
November 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
and they have crappy programs for the playoff games

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
and they have crappy programs for the playoff games

Before the rest of AGS gets touchy - let me clarify that he means game programs.

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM

There can still be no bias in the announcer. He must be monotone and unbiased for both teams.

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
IMO that's why you play for the home field advantage.
in some cases HFA isnt decided by how a team plays, its decided by $$$

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2007, 05:59 PM

last year vs Hampton the announcer kept shouting, And thats another Pirate first down, so annoying on the radio.

crunifan
November 19th, 2007, 06:03 PM
last year vs Hampton the announcer kept shouting, And thats another Pirate first down, so annoying on the radio.

You might get annoyed if you are heading to Cedar Falls this weekend.

After every first down the announcer goes "And that's another Panthers..." and then the entire crowd yells, "FIRST DOWN!" while doing an arm movement the direction the team is moving.

Non UNI fans that have attended games with me have informed me that it gets VERY annoying, haha.

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
The announcer, the bell tolling for third down, and "And that's another Mountaineer......FIRST DOWN" haven't been done during the playoffs the past two years in boone. Would be nice to see a change this year..

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

After every first down the announcer goes "And that's another Panthers..." and then the entire crowd yells, "FIRST DOWN!" while doing an arm movement the direction the team is moving.

Non UNI fans that have attended games with me have informed me that it gets VERY annoying, haha.

This chant happens at a lot of stadiums (including Kidd Brewer)...what's annoying is at Elon. Their announcer would say, "And that's another Elon..." followed by the students yelling (which wasn't very audible) "first down for the..." and the announcer again "Phoenix." It just sounded like, "And that's another Elon...Phoenix." He stopped in the 3rd quarter.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM

I think the exact quote from Bob Justis is:
"Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's good for another Panther..."
Crowd: FIRST DOWN! (with hands held flat and arms waved in the direction of the down)

Personally, I love it. It is one thing that gets the student section going.

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Crowd: FIRST DOWN! (with hands held flat and arms waved in the direction of the down)

A lot of schools do that. I first heard it at Minnesota, and while I like everything else Bob does, that's the one I could do without.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
A lot of schools do that. I first heard it at Minnesota, and while I like everything else Bob does, that's the one I could do without.

Besides the key jangling, it seems to be the ONLY thing that really gets the student section going. *shrug*

RE/MAXGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
We're trend setters, lol.

Isn't the unofficial name for the rule that doesn't allow seniors to transfer "down" from FBS to FCS the "Josh Swogger rule" (our QB last year).

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Besides the key jangling, it seems to be the ONLY thing that really gets the student section going. *shrug*

Yelling first down and key jangling are the only things to get your student section going eh? xeyebrowx

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM

I disagree. The student section has been very good all on their own this year.

gophoenix
November 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
This chant happens at a lot of stadiums (including Kidd Brewer)...what's annoying is at Elon. Their announcer would say, "And that's another Elon..." followed by the students yelling (which wasn't very audible) "first down for the..." and the announcer again "Phoenix." It just sounded like, "And that's another Elon...Phoenix." He stopped in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah, that's exactly how it happens. xrolleyesx

bcrawf
November 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Hartzell said that Bobby J can do whatever he wants and however he wants to do it... The old stupid monotone rules are gone...

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM
oh yeah, that's it. And I don't remember the banner rule.

The banner rule is because your local advertisers aren't likely to be official NCAA sponsors. Only companies like Coke, Pontiac and others who pay the big bucks to the NCAA get their names shown at Playoff games.

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The banner rule is because your local advertisers aren't likely to be official NCAA sponsors. Only companies like Coke, Pontiac and others who pay the big bucks to the NCAA get their names shown at Playoff games.

I'm not sure on this. UNI has never had to cover up the signage on scoreboards and the like before.

What I think happens is this. The NCAA has a list of "Official" sponsors. Say, their official soft drink is "Coke." In those cases, any "Pepsi" signage must be covered. There are categories where there is no official sponsor...say, convenience stores. Then the local sign can stay.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I disagree. The student section has been very good all on their own this year.

I've gotten some dirty looks from people there merely to socialize, but I suppose you're right. I get so caught up in it I suppose it's hard to gauge it from the inside.

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure on this. UNI has never had to cover up the signage on scoreboards and the like before.

What I think happens is this. The NCAA has a list of "Official" sponsors. Say, their official soft drink is "Coke." In those cases, any "Pepsi" signage must be covered. There are categories where there is no official sponsor...say, convenience stores. Then the local sign can stay.

Yeah, it does depend. Stuff where the local business is a competitor to major sponsors will most likely be covered up, either with the big-name sponsor or the generic NCAA logo

back2back
November 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
The APP.......STATE cheer will not be overcome by playoff rules. I will be sitting on the STATE side with the people in purple and their streamers.

appsfan
November 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Yes you are right, I'll be on the APP side (Section 6A) and we'll get it going. Also, if the announcer doesn't do it, I will get the "and that is another Mountaineer 1st Down" chant going on my on (like we did at Elon.) BTW, it looks like we are close to selling out the permanent seats (only a few left in 13 and of course plenty available on the hill.)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM
The APP.......STATE cheer will not be overcome by playoff rules. I will be sitting on the STATE side with the people in purple and their streamers.

It sounds like we all have the same cheers. We do that with one side doing MONTANA, and the other side doing GRIZZLIES. We also do the first down MONTANA thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Montana rule came about after 1994 and had to with the committee only seeding four teams as we got a home game against McNeese which was like a 6 seed and we were only an 8 or 9 seed. Is there more than one Montana rule?

ncman071
November 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
to be honest i think the playoff rules crap is rediculous. if you get home field in the playoffs, it shouldnt be treated as a neutral site which is what the ncaa is esentially trying to do. and just like one of the other posters mentioned, even the programs are crappy. our schools cant even create their own programs for the playoffs. no 3rd down bell, no announcing "and another said team .... FIRST DOWN". it just doesnt make a lot of sense to me. oh well.

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
to be honest i think the playoff rules crap is rediculous. if you get home field in the playoffs, it shouldnt be treated as a neutral site which is what the ncaa is esentially trying to do. and just like one of the other posters mentioned, even the programs are crappy. our schools cant even create their own programs for the playoffs. no 3rd down bell, no announcing "and another said team .... FIRST DOWN". it just doesnt make a lot of sense to me. oh well.
4 teams earn home games the rest dont they just get them cause they have big stadiums.

I think all the noise should be created by the fans if the fans are great they will make the place loud enough on there own.

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that's exactly how it happens. xrolleyesx

Maybe the students should be louder...all we could hear on the visitor side was, "And that's another Elon...Phoenix." An EU student told us what the students say. Maybe he was inebriated:) I'm glad we got you guys at the Rock next year...I don't like this Riddle guy.xsmhx

gophoenix
November 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Maybe the students should be louder...all we could hear on the visitor side was, "And that's another Elon...Phoenix." An EU student told us what the students say. Maybe he was inebriated:) I'm glad we got you guys at the Rock next year...I don't like this Riddle guy.xsmhx

No, it's the way it is said, but you could hear the students fine when they were doing it. The stupid parents parked everywhere were the ones who had no clue what was going on. And it got louder as the season went on. I guess the alumni are now catching on as no one was used to saying it before. Heck, we got more first downs in 2 games this year than nearly the whole season 3 years ago.

GRZZ
November 20th, 2007, 01:25 AM

I don't have an actual answer so obviously, this is just speculation. I feel that over the past 5 years or so, the playoff games have been less toned down. The announcer is toned down, but it seems like more of the regular stuff has been allowed to stay. There have been times when they couldn't run out of the helmet in front of the tunnel, only the tunnel. Not a big deal, but also incredibly ridiculous that the inflated helmet could have any effect on the game. There are lots of little things like that.
There was also the cannon thing. (The Sam Houston fans didn't shut up about it for what seemed like a decade!) But it to has returned as well. Honestly, the only thing that was really that noticeably different was the toned down announcer for last years game. I suppose that there were other things that I just don't notice.

Now here is my thought: It seems as if the complaints and all the regulations varied greatly based on who was the NCAA representative at the game. Even week to week, things seemed different. Hence Sam Houston couldn't use their cannon but then we could use ours. Montana has obviously hosted plenty of playoff games over the last ten years and maybe they just started pointing out all the inconsistencies to the NCAA and just started doing things if they had been allowed to do them at some point previously. It is possible that this has led to the NCAA being a little less ridiculous when it comes to regulating things and thus it is called the Montana rule.

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2007, 02:06 AM

As far as I know, there are no playoff restrictions on marching bands. The NCAA even pays (or helps pay; I'm not sure how much $ they provide) for the bands to travel to the National Championship game.

The only time you'll see a restriction is when both teams' bands are at the game. Then they generally allow each band to play between downs only when their team has the ball.

TheValleyRaider
November 20th, 2007, 06:14 AM
As far as I know, there are no playoff restrictions on marching bands. The NCAA even pays (or helps pay; I'm not sure how much $ they provide) for the bands to travel to the National Championship game.

The only time you'll see a restriction is when both teams' bands are at the game. Then they generally allow each band to play between downs only when their team has the ball.

The only restrictions on bands is that they aren't allowed to play while the game is actually going on. I think this is technically a rule anyway, but it's rarely enforced during the regular season. Also, there has to be allotted time for both bands to perform at halftime. I think the NCAA actually helps pay for all visiting bands to go, at least up to a certain number of members, during the first 3 rounds as well as the Championship.

Tribe4SF
November 20th, 2007, 06:28 AM
NCAA has limits on the travel party for visiting teams. I believe it's 150. If a school wants to take more than that, they have to pay for them.

The PA announcers have been breaking the no-bias rule forever. Hampton PA guy is legendary, and lived up to his billing during the UNH game last year. "That's a first down.......PIRATES!"

Ronin
November 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Having the crowd noise, the announcer excited is just home field advantage.

The only rule I can see is not having music played over the loud system when the game clock is running. If the crowd makes noise -- fine. But artificial noise from the loud system, s/b a no-no.

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM
NCAA has limits on the travel party for visiting teams. I believe it's 150. If a school wants to take more than that, they have to pay for them.

The PA announcers have been breaking the no-bias rule forever. Hampton PA guy is legendary, and lived up to his billing during the UNH game last year. "That's a first down.......PIRATES!"

This year it was "MOVE THE CHAINS." It got pretty annoying.

grizbeer
November 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Here is what Peter Christensen, the Griz PA announcer, posted on e-griz a couple weeks ago:

Strictly speaking, that 3rd down hype the ISU PA guy does (in a way) goes against Big Sky policy. We're not supposed to be "cheerleaders" in the booth...but we all are passionate about the game. The "1st Down Montana" has become a tradition, and is allowed during the regular season, it's a small part of what makes Grizzly football the Greatest Show in Montana! But once the playoffs start, we must be more sedate....while you fans continue to make the difference as the 12th man! It's a real privelege to be a small cog in the machine that is Griz Nation!

Sounds like you are supposed to stop the Monster Truck announcer voice during the playoffs, but I don't know what the penalty is if your announcer does it (they should just shut off his mic).

troianus
November 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM
The only restrictions on bands is that they aren't allowed to play while the game is actually going on. I think this is technically a rule anyway, but it's rarely enforced during the regular season. Also, there has to be allotted time for both bands to perform at halftime. I think the NCAA actually helps pay for all visiting bands to go, at least up to a certain number of members, during the first 3 rounds as well as the Championship.

This comes from the Division 1 Championship Handbook

Cheerleaders, Mascots, Bands and Banners
Cheerleaders and/or pompon team members, not to exceed 12 in number, plus the mascot shall be admitted, if in uniform, via the gate list furnished to the host institution by the competing institution’s director of athletics; all other institutional representatives will be admitted only upon presentation of a ticket. A maximum of 12 cheerleaders and/or pompon team members, along with one cheerleader coach, shall be allowed on the field during the progress of the game. The cheerleaders shall perform within an area designated by the tournament manager.
All cheerleading squads must conform to the guidelines set by the American Association of Cheerleader Coaches and Advisors (AACCA). Neither the NCAA nor the host institution shall be responsible for supervising or monitoring routines performed by cheerleaders at championship events. Except as noted in this section, supervision of cheerleading squads and their activities, yells and stunts is solely the participating institution’s responsibility. The participating institution shall ensure that the squad has sufficient training, supervision and equipment for any and all routines its squad may choose to perform. Tournament managers must inform participating institutions if the host facility has more stringent requirements. If so, the director of athletics at each institution must apprise his or her cheerleading squad of such requirements and ensure compliance.
Band members who are in uniform and performing at the championship will not be charged admission to the competition. Bands, or any component thereof, are allowed to play during timeouts, between games, and before and after the competition.

McTailGator
November 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Home teams need to be allowed to be Home teams.

EWU has already inquired about the cowbell situation at Cowboy Stadium so that indicates they are going to be talking to the officials and NCAA before the game.

Bull***** IMO

texcap
November 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Home teams need to be allowed to be Home teams.

EWU has already inquired about the cowbell situation at Cowboy Stadium so that indicates they are going to be talking to the officials and NCAA before the game.

Bull***** IMO

I read on the ASU board that they were confiscating cowbells at Appalachian State either last year or the year before that during the playoffs.

McTailGator
November 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I read on the ASU board that they were confiscating cowbells at Appalachian State either last year or the year before that during the playoffs.

The NCAA rep, (the Nichols AD in our case) would half to ask McNeese officials to do that at Cowboy Stadium this year.

It will be interesting to see how far he goes.

BUT all we will now do is buy a bottle of water or a Coke, drink it, and put some loose change in it to make our noise makers on the spot.

DUMB DUMB DUMB RULE. THE NCAA SHOULD BE FIGURING OUT WAYS TO IMPROVE ATMOSPHERE ESPECIALLY IN FIRST ROUND GAMES THAT ARE NOT WELL ATTENDED. NOT RUIN THE MOOD OF FANS AND KEEP THINGS BORING AS HELL.

jstate83
November 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Someone explain this to me.

What's the point of playing your arse off to have a shot at home field advantage, then make a bid to HOST a game, only to treat your own team and fan's like they playing an away game at a neutral site.

McTailGator
November 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Someone explain this to me.

What's the point of playing your arse off to have a shot at home field advantage, then make a bid to HOST a game, only to treat your own team and fan's like they playing an away game at a neutral site.

Let me know if someone comes up with a decent answer to that.

AlphaSigMD
November 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Also, we have Hell's Bell's that play on 3rd down. They aren't allowed to play those at playoff games.

i'm not sure if we can do the "welcome to the rock" sean connery thing or not.

Guess I'll find out when i'm in Boone this weekend!

Maybe I'll take my cowbell...xlolx

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Also, we have Hell's Bell's that play on 3rd down. They aren't allowed to play those at playoff games.

i'm not sure if we can do the "welcome to the rock" sean connery thing or not.

Guess I'll find out when i'm in Boone this weekend!

Maybe I'll take my cowbell...xlolx

cowbell's are so high school! You're going to a college game! xlolx xlolx

:p

griz37
November 20th, 2007, 05:41 PM
The NCAA rep, (the Nichols AD in our case) would half to ask McNeese officials to do that at Cowboy Stadium this year.

It will be interesting to see how far he goes.

BUT all we will now do is buy a bottle of water or a Coke, drink it, and put some loose change in it to make our noise makers on the spot.

DUMB DUMB DUMB RULE. THE NCAA SHOULD BE FIGURING OUT WAYS TO IMPROVE ATMOSPHERE ESPECIALLY IN FIRST ROUND GAMES THAT ARE NOT WELL ATTENDED. NOT RUIN THE MOOD OF FANS AND KEEP THINGS BORING AS HELL.

Why not just yell your butt off?

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Why not just yell your butt off?

xwhistlex xwhistlex

Exactly

xwhistlex xwhistlex

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
No, it's the way it is said, but you could hear the students fine when they were doing it. The stupid parents parked everywhere were the ones who had no clue what was going on. And it got louder as the season went on. I guess the alumni are now catching on as no one was used to saying it before. Heck, we got more first downs in 2 games this year than nearly the whole season 3 years ago.

Gotcha...maybe they will. I am sure, with Lembo there, more traditions will start up.