PDA

View Full Version : ESPN3 / ESPN+ - HUGE Price Increase

FUBeAR
April 22nd, 2023, 01:30 PM
Anyone else get this email today…

Thank you for subscribing to ESPN: Live Sports & Scores.
We wanted to let you know about an upcoming change to this subscription.

The developer, Disney Electronic Content, Inc., is raising the price of this subscription from $59.99 per year to $99.99 per year. Your subscription will automatically renew for $99.99 per year starting May 23rd unless you cancel…

Thoughts?

Redbird 4th & short
April 22nd, 2023, 02:29 PM
Anyone else get this email today…

Thank you for subscribing to ESPN: Live Sports & Scores.
We wanted to let you know about an upcoming change to this subscription.

The developer, Disney Electronic Content, Inc., is raising the price of this subscription from $59.99 per year to $99.99 per year. Your subscription will automatically renew for $99.99 per year starting May 23rd unless you cancel…

Thoughts?
sounds like youre being phished or trolled

FUBeAR
April 22nd, 2023, 03:10 PM
sounds like youre being phished or trolled
Nah - it’s legit from …

[email protected]

…same address as all prior communications about subscriptions & such since 2014 - did a gmail search on it.

It’s for real.

If my memory is correct, this is a 233% price increase over 3 years.

ntxgamecock
April 22nd, 2023, 03:58 PM
I did a quick search on a pretty reliable cord cutting website and found nothing about any rate increases since Aug ‘22. Then I did a google search and found the same results. I think if I were you, I would not respond to that email and potentially contact Disney/ESPN directly through the app or website to confirm it’s reliability. Email addresses, like cell phone numbers, can be spoofed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
April 22nd, 2023, 04:26 PM
I did a quick search on a pretty reliable cord cutting website and found nothing about any rate increases since Aug ‘22. Then I did a google search and found the same results. I think if I were you, I would not respond to that email and potentially contact Disney/ESPN directly through the app or website to confirm it’s reliability. Email addresses, like cell phone numbers, can be spoofed.
OK - Thanks AGS Cybersecurity Team.

How about this notification popping up when FUBeAR opens his ESPN App??? …
https://i.postimg.cc/zvw7JGzY/IMG-1549.png

The increase (to FUBeAR at least) is real. It is not a spoof or a cyberattack. Neither the email nor the notification are asking me to do anything…other than EAT their increase.

Bisonoline
April 22nd, 2023, 04:30 PM
They actually did it last year at which time I cancelled the yearly subscription and went to monthly so I could cancel after the season was over.

ntxgamecock
April 22nd, 2023, 04:32 PM
I guess you have a decision to make then. It does appear the increase happened in Aug of last year. Sorry it’s just now hitting you. Didn’t mean to offend you. Only trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
April 22nd, 2023, 04:45 PM
They actually did it last year at which time I cancelled the yearly subscription and went to monthly so I could cancel after the season was over.Yeah - did a little research and see that many peeps have been hit with that HUGE increase already. Guess FUBeAR was flying under the radar for a while. Have enjoyed not worrying about the monthly and having quick access to watch an occasional SoCon basketball, baseball, or lax game…but on principle…and because FUBeAR don’t really wanna give that creepy mouse ANY money, he’s gonna scale back to monthly from Aug to Nov or Dec.

THANKS!!

ElCid
April 22nd, 2023, 06:05 PM
They actually did it last year at which time I cancelled the yearly subscription and went to monthly so I could cancel after the season was over.

Exactly. Done that two years running now. Can't wait until they increase it again and I'll have to just not get at all and go back a couple decades and listen to games on the radio again.

mmiller_34
April 23rd, 2023, 10:53 AM
I’ve only ever done the monthly. Use it during football and basketball season. Cancel from end of March to August.

EKU05
April 23rd, 2023, 11:19 AM
In my household we do the bundle that includes ESPN+, Hulu, and Disney+. I haven't heard anything about an increase...yet. It's a pretty good deal as is.

Professor Chaos
April 23rd, 2023, 01:38 PM
In my household we do the bundle that includes ESPN+, Hulu, and Disney+. I haven't heard anything about an increase...yet. It's a pretty good deal as is.
Yeah, for about $4 more a month than what just ESPN+ would cost you can get the Hulu/ESPN/Disney bundle ($13 a month for the ad supported version). I have Hulu Live with the Disney/ESPN+ bundle and it's $75 a month all together.

Redbird 4th & short
April 24th, 2023, 08:21 AM
Nah - it’s legit from …

[email protected]

…same address as all prior communications about subscriptions & such since 2014 - did a gmail search on it.

It’s for real.

If my memory is correct, this is a 233% price increase over 3 years.
My bad FuBear, looks like its legit. I need to pay closer attention on my subscriptions .. I was paying more atttention to thee wording which seemed like it was phishing to get you to click a link.

So I have Disney Bundle (w/ Ads) and just re-upped for 12.99 combined per month. I should try annual I guess, but they sucked me in years ago on ESPN+ which my ISUr football team uses at 4.99 monthly rate. And when I paid more attention, I'd cancel in offseason. Then they sucked me into the Bundle, and I just left it on Monthly, not paying attention anymore.

SUBSCRIPTION
Disney Bundle Trio Basic: Disney+ (With Ads), Hulu (With Ads), ESPN+ (With Ads)

PRICE BREAKDOWN

The Disney Bundle Price:
$12.99

Credit for existing subscriptions:
$9.99

The Disney Bundle subtotal:
$3.00

Tax:
$0.00

Total*:
$3.00

FUBeAR
April 24th, 2023, 10:58 AM
My bad FuBear, looks like its legit. I need to pay closer attention on my subscriptions .. I was paying more atttention to thee wording which seemed like it was phishing to get you to click a link.

So I have Disney Bundle (w/ Ads) and just re-upped for 12.99 combined per month. I should try annual I guess, but they sucked me in years ago on ESPN+ which my ISUr football team uses at 4.99 monthly rate. And when I paid more attention, I'd cancel in offseason. Then they sucked me into the Bundle, and I just left it on Monthly, not paying attention anymore.

SUBSCRIPTION
Disney Bundle Trio Basic: Disney+ (With Ads), Hulu (With Ads), ESPN+ (With Ads)

PRICE BREAKDOWN

The Disney Bundle Price:
$12.99

Credit for existing subscriptions:
$9.99

The Disney Bundle subtotal:
$3.00

Tax:
$0.00

Total*:
$3.00

Yep - never done the Disney bundle or Hulu - use other streaming services for the more general TV consumed by FUBeARFam. It’s not like going from $59.99 to $99.99 is gonna empty the honey coffers. It’s that FUBeAR cannot accept a 67% increase in 1 year and >~230% in 3 years. Don’t think they are pricing this based upon rising costs / maintaining reasonable profit margins. Think they are going to escalate until they find out what the market will bear. So FUBeAR ain’t bearing this one. Will do the M2M shuffle instead. The creepy mouse loses some cheese he could have eaten with a more reasonable increase. FUBeAR will save a few honeycomb cells for a rainy day and deal with the signup/cancel 2-step hassle for loss of a minimal amount of their programming he watches from January-August

Reign of Terrier
April 24th, 2023, 01:44 PM
This makes sense. I think it went up from $7 or $8 to like $10 and if you scale that to yearly it makes sense

ElCid
April 24th, 2023, 04:09 PM
I just knew that the first year, when most FCS games moved to + from ESPN3 and it was like 5.99 a month, it was just a lure you in test the water thing. It's gone up each year and will stop when they lose enough subscribers. I will probably see what it is come Sept, then canx after Nov and reevaluate the following Aug to see if I'm back to radio or not.

UNHWildcat18
April 24th, 2023, 05:39 PM
I have and really enjoy ESPN+. Price increase doesn't bother me, hell id pay an extra 5 a month if it included ESPN/ESPN2....

But F*** me I'll be stuck paying for flo sports again this fall..... -_-...

Redbird 4th & short
April 24th, 2023, 07:11 PM
This makes sense. I think it went up from $7 or $8 to like $10 and if you scale that to yearly it makes sense
then for just $3 more monthly, you get Hulu and Disney+ .. all with Ads .. doing month to month. I think that's why I stopped paying attention .. it seemed fair all in. If I was still just doing ESPN+, I might make an effort to cancel after football season. I just don't watch enough sports anymore .. so ESPN+ was not worth it year-round by itself tome.

Milktruck74
April 25th, 2023, 06:11 AM
OK - Thanks AGS Cybersecurity Team.

How about this notification popping up when FUBeAR opens his ESPN App??? …
https://i.postimg.cc/zvw7JGzY/IMG-1549.png

The increase (to FUBeAR at least) is real. It is not a spoof or a cyberattack. Neither the email nor the notification are asking me to do anything…other than EAT their increase.

Nope mine didn't go up. It is probably part of some ESPN EQUITY/REPARATIONS initiative, only the wealthy private school grads get hit with the increase, and us lowly bottom feeding state school kids finally get a little chance to get ahead!!!

FUBeAR
April 25th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Nope mine didn't go up. It is probably part of some ESPN EQUITY/REPARATIONS initiative, only the wealthy private school grads get hit with the increase, and us lowly bottom feeding state school kids finally get a little chance to get ahead!!!
Don’t sell yourself short, MilkTruck…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeJVTimlyWk

AmsterBison
April 25th, 2023, 08:06 AM
I have and really enjoy ESPN+. Price increase doesn't bother me, hell id pay an extra 5 a month if it included ESPN/ESPN2....

But F*** me I'll be stuck paying for flo sports again this fall..... -_-...

Yeah, I'd love to watch some CAA football but not enough to subscribe to Flo.

ST_Lawson
April 27th, 2023, 11:51 AM
then for just $3 more monthly, you get Hulu and Disney+ .. all with Ads .. doing month to month. I think that's why I stopped paying attention .. it seemed fair all in. If I was still just doing ESPN+, I might make an effort to cancel after football season. I just don't watch enough sports anymore .. so ESPN+ was not worth it year-round by itself tome.

That's what we do, but with kids who watch Disney+ all the time, it makes sense. Plus if I use a specific credit card, I get $7 back every month.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 27th, 2023, 07:22 PM
I’ve only ever done the monthly. Use it during football and basketball season. Cancel from end of March to August.

Mine runs for 5 months and turned back off right after the chipper.

I'd say they are probably getting up about where the price ought to be to be for them to shoulder some of the costs of their products since it is probably getting where the cord cutters will need to pitch in more for the content and so forth. It seems about the price level of other entertainment outlets now at this price.

caribbeanhen
April 28th, 2023, 10:53 AM
4.99 a month for ESPN + was a great deal, I wish their was a cheap option for an announcerless broadcast

ElCid
April 28th, 2023, 06:22 PM
4.99 a month for ESPN + was a great deal, I wish their was a cheap option for an announcerless broadcast

No joke. The announcers are annoying, amateurish, and/or seriously boring. I go on mute more times than not.

dewey
May 2nd, 2023, 05:11 AM

Yep. I do it the same way as you.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
May 2nd, 2023, 10:51 AM

I forgot to cancel ESPN + in December, ended up paying 3 xtra months 😡

ElCid
May 2nd, 2023, 11:40 AM
I forgot to cancel ESPN + in December, ended up paying 3 xtra months 😡

Set a reminder on your phone.

kdinva
May 2nd, 2023, 03:15 PM
.....I wish their was a cheap option for an announcerless broadcast

the two kids VMI has for baseball are totally clueless about baseball.

caribbeanhen
May 3rd, 2023, 02:18 PM
the two kids VMI has for baseball are totally clueless about baseball.

If I had the opportunity to meet up with these guys at Starbucks, I would show them the picture of Mays at the Polo Grounds and ask them to tell me something about it… blank stares is probably what I would get

Redbird 4th & short
May 3rd, 2023, 05:34 PM
That's what we do, but with kids who watch Disney+ all the time, it makes sense. Plus if I use a specific credit card, I get $7 back every month.
my 3 have all moved out, and still leach off our subscriptions.

what credit card gives you $7 back each month ?

ST_Lawson
May 4th, 2023, 08:18 AM
my 3 have all moved out, and still leach off our subscriptions.

what credit card gives you $7 back each month ?

It's an American Express card. Here's info about the deal: https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/detail/disney-bundle-credit/blue-cash-everyday
The card I have does have an annual fee (a higher % back on some things makes it worth it for me), but I think the Blue Cash Everyday card (no fee) qualifies as well. You get $7 back every month as long as you have a plan at $12.99 or higher.

I don't know if it's still available, but the plan I am on is $14.99/month for Disney+ (no ads), Hulu (with ads), and ESPN+ (with ads). I rarely watch Hulu, but we do watch a ton of Disney+, and during football and college basketball season, I'm watching quite a bit of ESPN+, so the $8/month it works out to is well worth it for me. They call it the Legacy Disney Bundle, so it may not be available to sign up for anymore, but the Disney Bundle Trio Premium (ad-free Hulu, ad-free Disney+, and ESPN+ w/ ads) is essentially $20/month (works out to $13/month) is still a pretty decent deal if you would use those services fairly often.