November 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
xconfusedx The article didn't even metion Cobblestone. What gives? xconfusedx

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well, Cobblestone will be happy...
xlolx Beat me to it.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM
They better get moving with their national search.

bandl
November 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Beat me to it!! xmadx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
November 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Wow - someone's actually paying attention to football at URI - what a shock. I was feeling for Cobblestone, I thought he was going to be saddled with Stowers until the bitter end!

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I guess we all have found out that cobblestone has more pull then mainejeff doesxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
All Hail AD Cobblestone!!xbowx xbowx xbowx

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
And Head Coach Cobblestone!:D xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Hire Sewak

Petrie Dish
November 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM

"URI's Department of Athletics and Stowers are negotiating settlement on the remaining one year of his contract that will consist of a financial component, which will come from non-state funds."

Where do you think they are getting the funds?;)

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
"URI's Department of Athletics and Stowers are negotiating settlement on the remaining one year of his contract that will consist of a financial component, which will come from non-state funds."

Where do you think they are getting the funds from?;)

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
November 19th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hire Sewak

That actually makes sense - no way URI does it then!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM
where is cobblestone with all of this? He must be out partying right now.

BlueHen86
November 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Congrats Cobblestone!xlolx

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Im not a Rhody fan or alum but I live in RI and am a I-AA fan so I at least have some interest.

GSU 25+yrFan
November 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hire Sewak

If you want the real Triple Option just try for Paul Johnson you only need more than 1.6million dollars per year.xlolx Stowers and Sewak learned with they know about the option from PJ. PJ knows how to coach and win, I wish we had him back at GSU sometimes.

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
No more option ! You need to throw the damn ball to draw fans at URI. That is sad but the truth. I think URI need to ty to emulate UNH. Use a similar type offense. Its the smart thing to do. URI and UNH are very similar schools afterall.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I would have thought Cosgrove would be removed before Stowers was.

UNH SUPERFAN
November 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I don't know Coach Stowers but this change may awaken a school which is favorably located for recruiting and which has a pretty campus near alot of things. I think football has tremendous potential at URI, you put some $$$ into your stadium, it actually isn't a bad setup, and if you get the right coach the rest of us will wish Stowers was back running the option!!

Old Cage
November 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure we should be assuming that URI will remain at our level. In an early interview Thorr Bjorn (new AD and a former UMass footballer and assistant AD) was not sounding overly committed to his own sport.

That said, I think the odds are good that they try to build. Thorr - Please don't steal too many folks from Happy Valley.

That said, some of our "fans" would send you our offensive co-ordinator in a heartbeat, especially since the URI monsoon game.

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure we should be assuming that URI will remain at our level. In an early interview Thorr Bjorn (new AD and a former UMass footballer and assistant AD) was not sounding overly committed to his own sport.

That said, I think the odds are good that they try to build. Thorr - Please don't steal too many folks from Happy Valley.

That said, some of our "fans" would send you our offensive co-ordinator in a heartbeat, especially since the URI monsoon game.

Where do they go if they want to drop commitment? Do they actually drop the program with the new additions they added? That would be a big stadium for some soccer matches. What conferences do they have? I can't imagine them playing the bottom-feeders for 10 years. In RI it is hard to get people to games, Bryant is out averaging attendance than both Brown and URI, and that will drop once they start to stink the next four years. I think without fans they won't get the money and the players.

LeopardFan04
November 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Congrats Cobblestone...

Good luck with the search Rams.

WildcatFan
November 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Have you ever been to URI? it's in the middle of nowhere. URI is a really nice campus and is located close to the ocean.

Maroon&White
November 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Since the URI game?? Where have you been the past 3 seasons?

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Have you ever been to URI? it's in the middle of nowhere.

Whatchu talkin' bout?? Its 20 minutes from some of the nicest beaches anywhere and less than an hour to two of the funnest towns anywhere: Providence and Newport. URI is a hated rival, but Rhode Island is a really cool place to live and play. If you go to school at URI - students frequently rent off campus beach houses...its a fun scene. RI is totally corrupt politically, but it is one helluva a lot of fun. Alot more fun than Boston is for example. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH SUPERFAN
November 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Been there many times, it is within 20 minutes of Providence, not that far from Boston, and has a beautiful, rural campus. It is in the middle of the northeast population centers (suburban Boston, suburban NYC). Umass isn't any more urban than URI.

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
UMass is nestled into the happy valley which is a great location and Amherst/Northampton is a superb college town environment and tons of fun. But URI has a GREAT LOCATION as well. In fact location is one of the main attractions to URI - its in RI and near the beaches, Providence and Newport. Good stuff fo sho.

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Been there many times, it is within 20 minutes of Providence, not that far from Boston, and has a beautiful, rural campus. It is in the middle of the northeast population centers (suburban Boston, suburban NYC). Umass isn't any more urban than URI.

way more than 20 minutes, more like 40 minutes. The surrounding areas are nice, but they are not near URI. URI is near absolutely nothing. The school is also getting old. Besides Bryant and Brown there is no other football, but there are so nicer campuses. URI has a unique feel which I like, but it is not the greatest spot in RI. I would pick Brown/JWU/RIC over URI because of the city and the atmosphere near those schools.

Brad82
November 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Is Bryant still BS'ing attendance figures?
Maybe we can get them and So. Conn. back on the schedule?
RS Frosh Ferrer had 100+ on Northeastern,might be 200 on Bryant!

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Since they were caught no, they actually count the ripped tickets only and do it at games and announce attendance, so you can see how legit it is. the problem is they do not have one entrance so I would say 80% of students who go to the games do not even get tickets. It is a really flawed system. But NCAA covered games at Bryant the figures were at 5,400 and 5,600+/- both impressive. Also, I was doing the numbers on d2football.com and they double almost every team in the NE10's home attendance when they are there

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM

also the defense will be worse next year they are losing a lot. the next 4 years will be a lot of rebuilding. I think come their first year they may have a solid team.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I think football has tremendous potential at URI, you put some $$$ into your stadium, it actually isn't a bad setup!

Outside of Northeastern and Georgetown, there isn't a more spartan football setup in Eastern I-AA football than URI.

santosballnewhampshire
November 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
im thinkin mark whipple?...... I could maybe see that coming back to his old umass days as the rhodi coach? thoughts?

Cobblestone
November 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I guess I'd better chime in on this one.

First let me say that I did NOT get Stowers fired. Second, let me say that I wish him well, as I think he's a good man but was not fit to be a head coach. I hope he is able to land a position coaching job (OL coach perhaps) at an FBS school or FCS school, I feel this is what he is more comfortable with.

Thorr Bjorn is motivated to improve this program. I know that because I had conversations with him about it. I think Thorr made a smart move when he took over as our A.D. He has pretty much taken the football program under his own wing while giving the responsibility of the basketball program to Gregg Burke who is a basketball guy. Because of this move I see better days ahead for URI sports. Basketball is 5-0 right now and we have some top notch recruits coming in next season.

Our football facilities have improved. Nice new stands on the home side with new stands soon to be built on the visitors side. A new weight room which is looking great; I even sampled it myself a little bit. And a SADC (Student Athlete Development Center) which is currently under way.

As for a replacement for Stowers, Thorr has a good relationship with Mark Whipple going back to the UMASS days. I'm sure they have already been talking. However, Whipple won't come cheap and there is some question if URI will be able to afford him. I recall when Whipple was the HC at Brown and he applied for the URI job but our A.D. at the time turned him down and hired Floyd Keith; big mistake. I know for a fact that former Ram Darren Rizzi who is currently the Special Teams coach at Rutgers is most interested in the job. In fact he applied when Stowers did. Rizzi had some big success at D-II New Haven as their HC before taking the job at Rutgers. These two are certainly the lead candidates.

I'm glad to see the option offense go. I'd like to see a HC come in who will run a West Coast style offense. I see no reason why we can't go back to running that again. For one thing the weather in R.I. is not that much of a factor. In fact most games at URI the weather is pretty mild. We also had our best success ever during the mid 80's with this style of offense with Tom Erhardt as our QB.

For those bashing the campus location, get real. URI is located close to Narragansett and Newport which have some of the nicest beaches in New England. Many kids go to URI to enjoy that experience. Many players go there for the same reason. It's not unusual at all for URI players to rent beach houses (with heat in them) right across from the beach which is close to campus. They call it living "down on the point". I think a lot more fun can be found down in Narragansett and Newport than in Providence. But different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.

At any rate, we'll see what happens with the hiring process.

Maroon&White
November 19th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Whipple didn't leave UMass after 2003 to eventually get the head coaching job at URI. He is looking for a FBS head coaching job. Almost got the BC job, and I see him getting the Marshall job next season (AD there is the one who hired him at UMass). If he decides to go to URI I would be extremely shocked - I just don't see this happening.

Coach Brown would most likely go with Whipple to a job like Marshall, leaving UMass looking for a new coach. Plenty of UMass people know what coach they will be looking to get.

Hope URI gets a coach who can quickly turn them around, I really don't see it being Whipple.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
No more option ! You need to throw the damn ball to draw fans at URI. That is sad but the truth. I think URI need to ty to emulate UNH. Use a similar type offense. Its the smart thing to do. URI and UNH are very similar schools afterall.

Go get Chip Kelly to return from the left coast and you'll have some fun!

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM

I think you are confusing URI with UMASS or UMAINE. URI is right near the ocean, lots of off campus activities, off-campus apts, ... Quite a nice place actually,

Sam Adams
November 20th, 2007, 06:58 AM
if you don't have a car your screwed, there is nothing in walking distance.I live here i know whats up,

That is true of 90% of the United States. Get a Car and stop bitching about not having a car.

andy7171
November 20th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I think you are confusing URI with UMASS or UMAINE. URI is right near the ocean, lots of off campus activities, off-campus apts, ... Quite a nice place actually,

I thought it was in the middle of a huge sod farm?

Anyway, I'm happy for you Cobblestone! :)

dgreco
November 20th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I thought it was in the middle of a huge sod farm?

Anyway, I'm happy for you Cobblestone! :)

hey they know a lot about grass over there. I think people are confused though, I like in South Kingstown, the town next to the fictional "Kingston" of URI. There is nothing and it really isn't close to to much. You are close to Exeter which has nothing. The beaches are fairly close but no students are in school when they are open. The beach houses are nice but they are a hike everyday for classes.

Cobblestone
November 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM
hey they know a lot about grass over there. I think people are confused though, I like in South Kingstown, the town next to the fictional "Kingston" of URI. There is nothing and it really isn't close to to much. You are close to Exeter which has nothing. The beaches are fairly close but no students are in school when they are open. The beach houses are nice but they are a hike everyday for classes.

whaaaaaat? Take a drive to Scarborough or Narragansett beach the first week in September (when school first opens) or even on a warm day in May right around graduation time and do some bikini counting. The beach houses are only a 10 or 15 minute drive to campus if you or your roomie has a car. Which is why many URI kids rent them.

Correct about Kingston it's actually a village in South Kingstown.

Oldhen
November 20th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Here's the guy to hire..... pretty please?

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/staff/ciarrocca.html

mainejeff
November 20th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Nothing in New England is in the "middle of nowhere". You East Coast folks are so spoiled.......if something isn't within walking distance, it's too far......xrolleyesx

I'll tell you what middle of nowhere is.......Odessa, Texas......which is where I am right now........Friday Night Lights my *ss! Get me out of here!..........By the way, loved Shreveport, LA......that would be a good place for the FCS Championship xthumbsupx.

mainejeff
November 20th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Oh yeah.........FIRE COSGROVE!

Old Cage
November 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Just to keep the pot stirred here:

Today's Globe story summary:

"Robert Carothers, president of the University of Rhode Island, will leave office when his contract expires in 2009. The university is in the midst of an accreditation review and has been under pressure by the state to control costs in the face of a $450 million state deficit."

PS: to Maroon&White: concerning our offensive co-ordinator: I did say ESPECIALLY since the URI game.

PPS to Rhody guys: Mark Whipple ain't comin' through that door.

Ozzie
November 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Whipple didn't leave UMass after 2003 to eventually get the head coaching job at URI. He is looking for a FBS head coaching job. Almost got the BC job, and I see him getting the Marshall job next season (AD there is the one who hired him at UMass). If he decides to go to URI I would be extremely shocked - I just don't see this happening.

Coach Brown would most likely go with Whipple to a job like Marshall, leaving UMass looking for a new coach. Plenty of UMass people know what coach they will be looking to get.

Hope URI gets a coach who can quickly turn them around, I really don't see it being Whipple.

Who do you think UMass would go for if Coach Brown were to leave? Perhaps a certain Patriot League coach making the trip up to Amherst this weekend?