PDA

View Full Version : Southern is top FCS conference

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Southern Conference schools limit post season play by beating each other.
Best conference by far.

Top 5 schools in the conference were 16-0 against non FBS schools.

Show em Appy and Woofy.

Strength of conference.

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43210&SPID=3829&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1312186

Grizalltheway
November 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
xrolleyesx xcoffeex

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
No offense but you SoCon fans are really obnoxious. You're just like SEC fans. You go way over above and beyond to try to prove your superiority. Its beyond pathetic.

aust42
November 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Best conference by far.

Show em Appy and Woofy.

Strength of conference.

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43210&SPID=3829&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1312186

Apparently the playoff committee felt the CAA was by far the toughest conference. xnodx

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Best conference by far.

Show em Appy and Woofy.

Strength of conference.

List those 16 schools, and then maybe you have a valid reason, but if you're playing cupcakes its a joke.

RazorEdge19
November 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM
No offense but you SoCon fans are really obnoxious. You're just like SEC fans. You go way over above and beyond to try to prove your superiority. Its beyond pathetic.

...and you're saying you Big Sky fans don't do the same?xeyebrowx

PurpleandGold
November 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM
SOCON is great, no doubt, arguably the best, but we're getting a bit homerish with "by far."

The CAA has 12 teams, all in the top half of FCS, i.e. none with a GPI less than 61. No other conference can claim that, and arguably that would be much easier to accomplish with fewer schools.

And before the "but you don't play everyone in your conference" comes up, we do still beat each other up. Villanova is ahead of The Citadel in the most recent GPI, and they were kept out by losing to UR and JMU just as much as The Citadel was kept out by losing to ASU and Wofford.

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
There are no cup cakes in the CAA.. every year a top CAA school get wacked by a supposed lower level CAA team. This year three playoff teams were upset by three CAA non- contenders:

URI over UMass
Towson over Richmond
Northeastern over UNH

what makes the CAA such a tough league.. is not the teams on the top.. but the teams on the bottom.. ;)

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
...and you're saying you Big Sky fans don't do the same?xeyebrowx

There's a big difference between claiming we're superior to everyone, and claiming we're better than people give us credit for being.

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM
There are no cup cakes in the CAA.. every year a top CAA school get wacked by a supposed lower level CAA team. This year three playoff teams were upset by three CAA non- contenders:

URI over UMass
Towson over Richmond
Northeastern over UNH

what makes the CAA such a tough league.. is not the teams on the top.. but the teams on the bottom.. ;)

at the risk of repeating myself, it's the EXACT argument that is used to prove the supposed "weakness" of the Big Sky. Eastern lost to PSU! They shouldn't make the playoffs! How could you lose to a 3-8 team? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

CatFan22
There's a big difference between claiming we're superior to everyone, and claiming we're better than people give us credit for being.

Truth.

citdog
WHICH CONFERENCE HAS THE BEST PLAYOFF WINNING PERCENTAGE AGAIN?

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Saragin put out the rankings, not anyone in the SOCON- just sharing the knowledge so all in the land of AGS will be smarter and more knowledgeable! xnodx

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Apparently the playoff committee Chair felt the CAA was by far under represented in national esposure(Santos). xnodx fixedxlolx

gophoenix
November 19th, 2007, 02:00 PM

URI over UMass
Towson over Richmond
Northeastern over UNH

How would you know, Delaware didn't play them all. First hand, you don't know how good 1/3 of the conference is compared to your team.

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
at the risk of repeating myself, it's the EXACT argument that is used to prove the supposed "weakness" of the Big Sky. Eastern lost to PSU! They shouldn't make the playoffs! How could you lose to a 3-8 team? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

That rule only applies to the geographical limits of the CAA. Don't you know anything?:D

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM

because.. unlike the Big Sky (minus Montana) those CAA team have won a LOT playoff games... ;)

citdog
November 19th, 2007, 02:03 PM

ANSWER THE QUESTION CHICKEN MAN.

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
You can help your #s of playoff games won by flooding the market.xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Conferences don't win playoff games... individual schools win playoff games.. :p

please tell me how many playoff games UTC, Elon, WCU and THE
Citadel have won over the past 10 years??? ;)

citdog
November 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Conferences don't win playoff games... individual schools win playoff games.. :p

Citadel have won over the past 10 years??? ;)

YOU JUST CAN'T SAY IT CAN YOU DOUCHEY?

ButlerGSU
November 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Count the National Championship, NC appearances, playoff appearances, we are the best conference...well, except for freak years like this one.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Best conference by far.

THERE is your problem. UD and UNH beat their I-A opponents, otherwise they would have been sitting home just like GSU, El Cid and Elon. xnonox

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
YOU JUST CAN'T SAY IT CAN YOU DOUCHEY?

Citadel have won over the past 10 years???

after you answer my question... :p

mrklean
November 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Count the National Championship, NC appearances, playoff appearances, we are the best conference...well, except for freak years like this one.

The Southern Con has 9 Titles. BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The SoCon is the BEST. WE ALL KNOW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM

once again having the best 'team' doesn't make you the best 'conference'

any league with the likes of the Elon/VMI, UTC, WCU and THE Citadel mucking around in the basement of the FCS for the past 15 years can hardly claim to be the 'best'.

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM

The best in the past yeah but not anymore. It changed when you went down to 8 teams and the CAA has a solid 12. How do you know for sure this is just a freak year ?

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM

The SoCon is the BEST. WE ALL KNOW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAS the best. Its not 1992 anymore.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yale, Princeton and Harvard have a combined 44 national tites. BEAT THAT. xcoffeex

santosballnewhampshire
November 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
questionable......... caa five teams..... huh

ElonPride
November 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM

any league with the likes of the Elon/VMI, UTC, WCU and THE Citadel mucking around in the basement of the FCS for the past 15 years can hardly claim to be the 'best'.

Elon's only been in the SoCon 4 seasons and only been D-I since '99.

15-20 years ago, Elon's football team was ripping through NAIA and winning national titles xsmiley_wix

th0m
November 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM

What do you mean by freak years?

mountaineertider
November 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Let's see how the CAA & SoCon do in the first round.

If 3-4-5 CAA teams lose in the first round and both the SoCon teams win, then the SoCon can talk. Of course, 3-4-5 CAA teams have the ability to win, and both SoCon teams could lose, then the CAA can talk.

After the first round we will really see which conference is stronger.

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Ain't talking about the past, talking about 2007.xnodx

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Not really. There's only one CAA vs SoCon game. What does Wofford winning/losing to Montana tell us about the CAA?

th0m
November 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Saragin put out the rankings, not anyone in the SOCON- just sharing the knowledge so all in the land of AGS will be smarter and more knowledgeable! xnodx

If you're just relaying the information then why not make the topic title "Southern is top FCS conference according to Sagarin".

youwouldno
November 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Conference strength is pretty cyclical in the FCS. Well, some conferences are never the best- e.g. the OVC and MEAC. The Southland of late has been weak, the Big Sky is of course the Montana show with occasionally a decent #2 team. But the SoCon, CAA, and Gateway are all roughly comparable, and even the weaker conferences have strong years.

This year, the SoCon is probably the best conference, narrowly ahead of the CAA, with the Gateway a close 3rd. As other posters have noted, ultimately the playoffs are an individual team competition, not a conference competition. The conference aspect adds some interest for fans who don't have their team in the postseason.

PurpleandGold
November 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Actually i did count it up, my unofficial tally puts the current members of the CAA up by 11 playoff appearances over the current members of the SOCON. We have the same number of national champion teams, though the SOCON has more total NC's. We've split the last four NC's.

Historically, I'll give the nod to the SOCON...but this is 2007 and the CAA has come of age.

mountaineertider
November 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I guess not much, cause I tried to make a post about how it did, but it didn't work out.

The best judgement would be for Wofford to beat UM, and for Richmond to beat EKU, and have a second SoCon-CAA clash, and to see the results then.

BigApp
November 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM

do I need to remind you those team's record against your conference? or, have you forgotten? (and I don't think you have...)
xrulesx

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I guess not much, cause I tried to make a post about how it did, but it didn't work out.

The best judgement would be for Wofford to beat UM, and for Richmond to beat EKU, and have a second SoCon-CAA clash, and to see the results then.
xnodx That would help. Ask OL FU or one of the Furman faithful about playing against CAA teams in the playoffs. xsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Just a point of fact... over the past 10 years in head to head playoff competition the record is........

SoCon - 7

CAA - 9

so much for the SoCon STILL being the dominate FCS playoff league... :p

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
THERE is your problem. UD and UNH beat their I-A opponents, otherwise they would have been sitting home just like GSU, El Cid and Elon. xnonox

Navy and Marshall?? The Citadel has beaten Navy the last two times we have met.xnodx

They don't quite compare to Wisconsin and South Florida.xlolx xlolx xlolx

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Let's see how the CAA & SoCon do in the first round.

If 3-4-5 CAA teams lose in the first round and both the SoCon teams win, then the SoCon can talk. Of course, 3-4-5 CAA teams have the ability to win, and both SoCon teams could lose, then the CAA can talk.

Don't ya just love rigged competitions. CAA already has 3 build in 1st round wins. The Socon has two very stout game sand will be lucky to go
1-1xrolleyesx The Big sky will be lucky to go 1-1 Then the CAA posters will hide their stacked deck and proclaim dominance. What a Joke the classic NE swindle.

http://www.simpsonsseason.com/Mr_Burns_ExcellentSHOP.jpg
UMass AD and Committee chairman

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
If you're just relaying the information then why not make the topic title "Southern is top FCS conference according to Sagarin".

Just want to smack it around a little, worked didn't it?xsmiley_wix

GreatAppSt
xnodx That would help. Ask OL FU or one of the Furman faithful about playing against CAA teams in the playoffs. xsmiley_wix

Ask the Hens about playing the Cidadel regular season? or is the memory to short?xsmiley_wix

mrklean
Yale, Princeton and Harvard have a combined 44 national tites. BEAT THAT. xcoffeex

I-aa has only had a title game since 1979 I think
and FAMU won the first one.

mrklean
November 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Not 9 but 11 titles, Marshall has won it two times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOCON HAS 11 Titles

SOCON RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-AA Fan
November 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
As a conference in 2007:

Southern:

IA/FBS = 1-9
DII or lower = 5-1

Say what? Sagarin counts SOS at a higher rate than wins I guess.

GFC:

IA/FBS = 2-5
DII or lower = 5-0

SoCon played 4 ranked schools (IA) & the GFC played 5 ranked programs. WHat's the difference (ASU won). "by far" xpeacex

gsugt1
November 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
For them to take a 4 conference loss team from the committee heads conference looks exactly what it is. Fishy. If they wanted 5 teams from the CAA take Nova who actually had a 5-3 conference record.

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Do you guys really not see why the FCS outside of the CAA has a gripe with UNH being selected? forget the sticking up for a conference mate obligation. Was UNH the best remaining choice IYO?

devilhen
November 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Navy and Marshall?? The Citadel has beaten Navy the last two times we have met.xnodx

Good to see posts from the Citadel. Fond memories. I loved when Delaware the Citadel - I remember beating the tar out of the them last time we played, perhaps you have forgotten... I think it was 41-7xeekx

bandl
November 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Elon's only been in the SoCon 4 seasons and only been D-I since '99.

15-20 years ago, Elon's football team was ripping through NAIA and winning national titles xsmiley_wix

I-aa has only had a title game since 1979 I think
and FAMU won the first one.

For MrKlean

sorry...

ahem...

FOR MRKLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I COULD CLEAR!!!!!!!!!! THINGS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

gsugt1
November 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Do you guys really not see why the FCS outside of the CAA has a gripe with UNH being selected? forget the sticking up for a conference mate obligation. Was UNH the best remaining choice IYO?

Nova would have been a better choice from the CAA. They were 5-3 in the conf.

stevdock
November 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I don't see how either the SoCon or the CAA is all that tough since we've beaten the last team we've played out of both of them. Granted one was a down year GSU team, and the other was Northeastern. ;) We have more problems against the transition schools then against those two conferences. xpeacex

bandl
November 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Are you really comparing UD's and UNH's 2007 wins over FCS opponents to The Citadel's I-A 1989 opponent??? xnutsx That is a hell of a stretch. xrolleyesx

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I would have taken Nova over UHN.. but Norfolk St or Albany or even Dayton would have gotten my vote over any 7-4 team.

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Good to see posts from the Citadel. Fond memories. I loved when Delaware the Citadel - I remember beating the tar out of the them last time we played, perhaps you have forgotten... I think it was 41-7xeekx

Selective memory the year before that ya lost to the Citadel.xeekx

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I don't see how either the SoCon or the CAA is all that tough since we've beaten the last team we've played out of both of them. Granted one was a down year GSU team, and the other was Northeastern. ;) We have more problems against the transition schools then against those two conferences. xpeacex

right.. beating N'eastern in North Dakota makes you the CAA champ... :p

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I would have taken Nova over UHN.. but Norfolk St or Albany or even Dayton would have gotten my vote over any 7-4 team. I would have taken the Big South Champs Liberty. or SC State as a 7-4:)

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
No. They weren't even the best remaining CAA team. xcoffeex

SuperEagle
November 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I would have taken Nova over UHN.. but Norfolk St or Albany or even Dayton would have gotten my vote over any 7-4 team.
I would agree there. My question is this though. Some think the SOCON is better than the CAA while others disagree. But we all agree that they are the top 2 and that it is really close on who the best is. So with that being said, why didn't they take a 3rd SOCON team since they already had 4 CAA's? To the average fan, taking 5 teams from the CAA to 2 from the SOCON makes it look like the CAA is far and away the dominant conference in the land. And no knowledgeable FCS fan would agree with that.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx Is right. Nothing like having to go back to the 80's to find scores. xlolx xlolx xlolx

They don't compare to Wisconsin and USF... then again, you DIDN'T BEAT Wisconsin and USF. xconfusedx

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Ask the Hens about playing the Cidadel regular season? or is the memory to short?xsmiley_wix
Hens 3 - El Cid 1 xsmiley_wix

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
There was a time when the SoCon, Southland, Big Sky, and Gateway were all better than the Yankee/A10/Caa but now the tied has turned and some people are in denial about it.

BigApp
November 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
right.. beating N'eastern in North Dakota makes you the CAA champ... :p

well, New Hampshire sure couldn't beat 'em. xcoffeex

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM

There you go, living in the past, I could bring up when I scored the winning TD against Delaware but I'm not.xeekx

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I would agree there. My question is this though. Some think the SOCON is better than the CAA while others disagree. But we all agree that they are the top 2 and that it is really close on who the best is. So with that being said, why didn't they take a 3rd SOCON team since they already had 4 CAA's? To the average fan, taking 5 teams from the CAA to 2 from the SOCON makes it look like the CAA is far and away the dominant conference in the land. And no knowledgeable FCS fan would agree with that.

I think it came down to UNH has Ricky Santos.. the other schools don't.

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
For the record I am a CAA fan who didnt want any 7-4 CAA teams in the playoffs or 7-4 teams from any conference

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
the CAA is far and away the dominant conference in the land
Glad you said it, not me. :p

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM
There was a time when the SoCon, Southland, Big Sky, and Gateway were all better than the Yankee/A10/Caa but now the tied has turned and some people are in denial about it.

old beliefs die hard down Dixie way.... :p

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hens 3 - El Cid 1 xsmiley_wix

It is actually 5-3, but it is about this year!!!!

89Hen
There you go, living in the past, I could bring up when I scored the winning TD against Delaware but I'm not.xeekx
Congrats on beating a CAA team that FIVE other CAA teams beat. xcoffeex

bandl

Then why did you bring up 1989? xeyebrowx

SuperEagle
November 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Santos is one heck of a player. Don't get me wrong. But Southern's offense is fun to watch and we have arguably the most dynamic player in the division. To the average fan, the announcers could have really hyped him up too talking about his QB rushing record and how no other QB has ever done that. I think viewers would have liked it too.
I know Santos is awesome. But if Foster wins the Payton, they left the best player in the FCS at home.

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hens 3 - El Cid 1 xsmiley_wix That's about the winning rate Furman GSU and App have against them. They are more pesky than most of the FCS gives them credit for.xnodx

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Then why did you bring up 1989? xeyebrowx

Who brought up 1989?? Not ME.

BigApp
November 19th, 2007, 03:16 PM

this from a state that didn't have the guts to fight either way...xlolx

89Hen
2-2 for a DII against a DI doesn't sound too bad to me. xcoffeex xwhistlex

Were you even born when those game took place? xrolleyesx

ChickenMan
That's about the winning rate Furman GSU and App have against them. They are more pesky than most of the FCS gives them credit for.xnodx

The Citadel is much like N'eastern to UD... easy to whip in Delaware Stadium.. hard to handle on the road.

BigApp
November 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
.xnodx

check your PMs! xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
this from a state that didn't have the guts to fight either way...xlolx

just like Hillary Clinton... :D

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM

That's the sad part.xnodx

bandl
November 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Who brought up 1989?? Not ME.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

You DO know when the last time Citadel played Navy, right?? xreadx

citdog
November 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM

LOOK AWAY! LOOK AWAY! LOOK AWAY!
DIXIELAND!

AND I WISH I WAS IN DIXIE!!!!!!!!

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Congrats on beating a CAA team that FIVE other CAA teams beat. xcoffeex

WRONG, I'm ole school, brother!

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
WRONG, I'm ole school, brother!
Cripes. Then congrats on beating a DII. xlolx xthumbsupx

Monarch History
November 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

You DO know when the last time Citadel played Navy, right?? xreadx

I can't help they won't play us again, I guess they figure they have a better chance against DELLA WEAR.xnodx

bandl
November 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I can't help they won't play us again, I guess they figure they have a better chance against DELLA WEAR.xnodx

So back to the original point...why are you bringing up a game that was over 18 years ago compared to help foster your stance? Just curious. xpeacex

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cripes. Then congrats on beating a DII. xlolx xthumbsupx

Don't xlolx xlolx xlolx , ya'll were pretty good back then! Tubby was the MAN!

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
So back to the original point...why are you bringing up a game that was over 18 years ago compared to help foster your stance? Just curious. xpeacex

Could you repeat the question. I keep looking at your avitar and it breaks my concentration!xrotatehx

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
xpopcornx xdeadhorsex

That's all I have to add to this conversation xlolx xpeacex

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I wonder. xeyebrowx

All time...

Navy 6 - El Cid 2
Delaware 7 - Navy 7 (7-6 in favor of UD since 1985, first game was 1931)

GSU 25+yrFan
November 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
GSU was 3 kicks away from winning 3 more games but also 2 kicks away from losing. GSU was coming back against Colorado St. last week but turned the ball over on CS 3 yard line with a fumble and another on downs at the CS 4 yard line to lose by 8 points. Combined losses less than 20 points.
Furman loss-GSU just missed a 33 yd field goal against at the end of the game to win the SoCon.
Elon loss- GSU jumped offsides (bad call the coach said if one was off the entire line was offsides) Elon missed the field goal and that gave them another try to tie for OT, GSU looses in D-OT.
UTC loss- GSU missed another field goal at the end to win, then GSU looses in D-OT.
GSU had better home attendance (avg. 18k+, FU @ home 23,350) and could have made the FCS more money to fund the playoff games if we had made it in with at least a home game. If the FCS wanted to show off UNH’s quarterback they could have had the biggest impact player in the FCS Jason Foster. Thanks to Vangoober we will never know what kind of records Jason could have set. xbawlingx But he has a good number of records in NCAA and Socon books now.
We beat 2 playoff teams on the road, App and Wofford. I think we would have made some teams in the playoffs miserable if we went on the road.xthumbsupx

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I wonder. xeyebrowx

All time...

Navy 6 - El Cid 2
Delaware 7 - Navy 7 (7-6 in favor of UD since 1985, first game was 1931)

No Doubt!

since 85 The Citadel 2- Navy 0.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

WCU_FL_Alum
November 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM

These are just facts. The SEC is the top conference in FBS and SoCon is the toughest FCS conference. No coincidence many SEC schools were once in the SoCon. In fact, the SoCon is the cradle of the SEC and ACC.

I don't argue the CAA is extremely tough. Neither conference compares to the Big Sky in which Montana runs through each year and is not tested and is always over rated.

GSU 25+yrFan
November 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
These are just facts. The SEC is the top conference in FBS and SoCon is the toughest FCS conference. No coincidence many SEC schools were once in the SoCon. In fact, the SoCon is the cradle of the SEC and ACC.

I don't argue the CAA is extremely tough. Neither conference compares to the Big Sky in which Montana runs through each year and is not tested and is always over rated.

CAA is full of hockey schools not football, in the south football is a religion.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
These are just facts. The SEC is the top conference in FBS and SoCon is the toughest FCS conference.
xlolx A WCU education at its finest.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

that's funny. good job with that. xlolx

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
in the south football is a religion.
So was this. Careful with the kool-aid.

http://www.bible.ca/jonestown-guyana.jpg

JDC325
November 19th, 2007, 04:22 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

that's funny. good job with that. xlolx

Seriously Montanna is a decent and all but let fans of the two best conferences hash this out. A Big Fluff member has no business in this thread. xnonox

devilhen
November 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Not as far in the past as you are apparently living...

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Seriously Montanna is a decent and all but let fans of the two best conferences hash this out. A Big Fluff member has no business in this thread. xnonox

As a bystander to the "two best conferences", I sure do have the neutral voice (aka the deciding voice). And it is not the Southern. Sorry.

JDC325
November 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
As a bystander to the "two best conferences", I sure do have the neutral voice (aka the deciding voice). And it is not the Southern. Sorry.

Neutral? Nobody is neutral. Go raise some bail money.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Why would I care about either conference? It is my neutral decision to go with the better one. And it's not you. That just kills you to hear me say. SO SORRY xbawlingx

JDC325
November 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Why would I care about either conference? It is my neutral decision to go with the better one. And it's not you. That just kills you to hear me say. SO SORRY xbawlingx

....and your opinion matters because.....xcoffeex Still angry from 2000 or something?

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
....and your opinion matters because.....xcoffeex
Because it's a good opinion. xthumbsupx

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM
....and your opinion matters because.....xcoffeex Still angry from 2000 or something?

The same could be asked of you xsmiley_wix xpeacex

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM

no, not at all. I have been happy with the griz every year...whether they are out in the first round or go to the NC. 2000 was a great year for us. Just go on and disregard my apparent pointless opinion xthumbsupx

citdog
November 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM

hello pot! hello kettle!

JDC325
November 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
hello pot! hello kettle!

Touche but not at that level!!!! xnonono2x

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Not as far in the past as you are apparently living...

I said I could bring it up; didn't say I was!

citdog
November 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I said I could bring it up; didn't say I was!

1860 wasn't that long ago..... sheesh!xnodx xthumbsupx

ATrain
November 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
As a fan of a Big South school, the CAA is a better conference. More teams in the playoffs and more balanced.

BULLDOG8180
November 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
As a fan of a Big South school, the CAA is a better conference. More teams in the playoffs and more balanced.

You're just mad cause the SOCON whipped up on the BIG SOUTH bad this year!!!xrulesx

BearsCountry
November 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Wait till next when the Gateway moves back to the top spot. Heck it was down year and we got #2 of the 4 top seeds.

mrklean
November 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Talk all you want. SOCON. 11 Titles

GSU=6
Marshall=2
App. ST.=2 (they were in the SOCON when they won)
Furman=1

BEST IN I-AA

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM

GSU=6
Marshall=2
App. ST.=2 (they were in the SOCON when they won)
Furman=1

BEST IN I-AA

Guess that makes the Big Sky the second best conference, based on THAT logic:

Montana - 2 (+ 3 more NC appearances)
Montana State - 1
Idaho State - 1
Boise State - 1 (+ 1 more NC appearance)

5 - that's second highest since 1978 (well, tied with Gateway's 5)... :p

UncleSam
November 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM

BEST IN I-AA

Why is it that SUCH a great league could get only two teams into the playoffs, isn't that same same number as the Big Sky, Gateway and EVEN the lowly Ohio Valley???

Apparently the 'committte' failed to recognize just how mighty the SoCon really is, or maybe the SoCon is not nearly as hot as a lot of their puffed up fans would like to make believe. :p

Houndawg
November 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Don't ya just love rigged competitions. CAA already has 3 build in 1st round wins. The Socon has two very stout game sand will be lucky to go
1-1xrolleyesx The Big sky will be lucky to go 1-1 Then the CAA posters will hide their stacked deck and proclaim dominance. What a Joke the classic NE swindle.

http://www.simpsonsseason.com/Mr_Burns_ExcellentSHOP.jpg
UMass AD and Committee chairman

Funny how no other conference with multiple bids has teams on both sides of the bracket.

ElonPride
November 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Why is it that SUCH a great league could get only two teams into the playoffs, isn't that same same number as the Big Sky, Gateway and EVEN the lowly Ohio Valley???

Apparently the 'committte' failed to recognize just how mighty the SoCon really is, or maybe the SoCon is not nearly as hot as a lot of their puffed up fans would like to make believe. :p

From what it looks like, Towson and W&M were the only schools to play ALL the "top" CAA schools....hmm.....

UNH getting a playoff bid is pathetic, most of you CAA fans even admit that.

AAadict
November 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM
From what it looks like, Towson and W&M were the only schools to play ALL the "top" CAA schools....hmm.....

UNH getting a playoff bid is pathetic, most of you CAA fans even admit that.

CAA has the best QB's this year with Santos, Coen, & Flacco looking like low NFL drafts. Add Towson's jr Schaefer and you have the best group in FCS. Great QB's make for great football. Not surprised that UNH. 'Nova would have been next.

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Why is it that SUCH a great league could get only two teams into the playoffs, :p

Because John McCutcheon deemed it necessary to make the CAA competitive in the playoffs.xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM
CAA has the best QB's this year with Santos, Coen, & Flacco looking like low NFL drafts. Add Towson's jr Schaefer and you have the best group in FCS. Great QB's make for great football. Not surprised that UNH. 'Nova would have been next.

Maybe? xeyebrowx but I think Fourroux, Bergquist, Sanders(Sr), Hill, Foster (Sr), Edwards, Riddle, Lawson, and Nichols just might have something to say about that. The first three are pitching shutouts so far this season! that's 11-0xeekx Again What are Santos, Coen and Flacco's records this year?xrolleyesx

BigApp
November 20th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Again What are Santos, Coen and Flacco's records this year?xrolleyesx

say, how did Coen do against the Top 3 (record-wise) CAA opponents this year?

(That'd be Delaware, Richmond and James Madison)

appstate38
November 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM

One of the Best QB's this year on a team that was .500 in his own conference... I don't think so. He was better as a Soph. and Junior than he was this year. I think he got by more on his reputation than ability this year. But hey everybody has an off year every once and a while.