PDA

View Full Version : Delaware State's Coach

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2007, 07:27 PM
That guy was cool during his interview on the selection show today. Nothing but class. Those of you who watched the ESPNU selection show know what I'm talking about.

I'd bet their players love that guy.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
That guy was cool during his interview on the selection show today. Nothing but class. Those of you who watched the ESPNU selection show know what I'm talking about.

Agreed. He handled some baited question very professionally and with much class.

89Hen
November 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I don't expect anything but class out of DSU and their fans. Afterall, they are First Staters. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

blukeys
November 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM

I've known 4 of the last 5 DSU coaches and they were all great guys. Lavan has done a good job of turning around the program. But in fairness to his predecessors, he was given consideralby more resources than the previous coach, Bicknell, who came from S. Carolina State.

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Heard that interview. Great answer to the clearly baited questions. As much as I'm looking forward to watching the DSU-UD matchup on Friday, I don't know if I'll be able to handle the side-commentary on the "rivalry" or lack thereof, or whatever it is xrolleyesx The mute button might be getting a nice workout xnodx

Wonder if I could just mute the commentary but still hear the crowd noise... xchinscratchx

back2back
November 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Valley Rider,

I'm with you and if Gilmore and Matich are doing the game I will have to follow the thread instead of watch. Did you see the ESPN story about the CAL-Stanford game this weekend? Gilmore needs a life and move on.

downbythebeach
November 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I was ready and hoping he was gonna say something fun......like......since UD is the #1 producer of klansmen north of........

GeauxColonels
November 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I couldn't agree more. They definitely handed him a baited question and he did with it what he needed to.

UMass922
November 19th, 2007, 12:53 AM
He's got to be a--if not the--leading candidate for the Eddie Robinson award.

Is a clip of the interview online anywhere? I didn't get a chance to see it.

mikebigg
November 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I missed the interview, but any coach worth his salt understands that he has to be a positive role model for the young men that he leads and mentors. Not to say that Coaches don't have an obligation to discuss relavent social ills and/or political topics, the proper forum for those type comments exists. Glad that he had the intelligence to realize that the forum he had was not best suited for the "comments" they tried to get from him.

henfan
November 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Al Lavan is a Class A coach and comes off as a real gentleman. In a lot of the things he says & his demeanor, he reminds me so much of Tubby Raymond. They seem to share the same old school, level-headed, pragmatic approach to the game. I just hope DSU ponies up to keep him around for a long, long time.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
He's got to be a--if not the--leading candidate for the Eddie Robinson award.

Is a clip of the interview online anywhere? I didn't get a chance to see it.

Probably not. It was an audio interview. They just showed a still picture of his face while they were talking to him.