PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington @ #2 McNeese St

Pages : [1] 2

BigApp
November 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Discuss

peauxrouge
November 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I'm excited to see how this game plays out. I haven't seen McNeese play this year, how have they done against the pass?

KiddBrewer
November 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM
why, out of all the first round games, is this the one that i cant decide one way or another on?

McDABest
November 18th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Well, I've heard that Eastern Washington has a GREAT quarterback that piled up 3,100 yards this year. Plus, they have good receivers. Last game against UCA, we had a hard time defending the pass. We just buckled up in the red zone which is all that matters. To me, this looks like we are going to face a better version of UCA. In fact, this will be a MUCH better UCA. This will be a test because none of the teams we played were even close to making the playoffs. I also think we played only two teams with a winning record, and Nicholls may have ended up not having one. This will be a test for us, but I will be confident if Bryan Smith is back and healthy. UCA's quarterback, Brown, may not have done as good if Mr. Smith was running at him, but I will never know. This is the first game in one of the hardest brackets to Chattanooga, Tennessee, but I have confidence in my 'boys.

peauxrouge
November 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
EWU is hot right now. Young team starting to Gel. They could surprise people. I expect it to be closer than many MSU fans would like.

eagle1
November 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I am excited about this match up. This should be a good game and will probably come down to the wire. I am also looking forward to some cajun cuisine. Go Eagles!!!

McNeese75
November 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
EWU is hot right now. Young team starting to Gel. They could surprise people. I expect it to be closer than many MSU fans would like.

xnonox Don't even imagine this game will be overlooked by the Cowboys. They did that in 2003 with NAU so expect a well prepared and fired up Cowboy team to be waiting this weekend.

McNeese_beat
November 18th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Also, I think everybody realizes that EWU upset SIU in 2004 in the first round. So there will be no overlooking from this end.

Sorryass
November 18th, 2007, 04:29 PM
The McNeese Cowboys were worthy opponents in Missoula last year, and great fans. Hard for a Griz fan to root against a Big Sky team, though. Good luck and enjoy the game. Go Eagles and get the Cowboys.

What kind of cowboy comes from Louisiana anyway? Glad you recovered from the 2005 hurricanes.

sharkeycox
November 18th, 2007, 04:42 PM
The McNeese Cowboys were worthy opponents in Missoula last year, and great fans. Hard for a Griz fan to root against a Big Sky team, though. Good luck and enjoy the game. Go Eagles and get the Cowboys.

What kind of cowboy comes from Louisiana anyway? Glad you recovered from the 2005 hurricanes.

Believe it or not there is a lot of cattle ranching around here. Also McNeese has had and still has one of the better rodeo teams in the country.

JTCowboy
November 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
xnonox Don't even imagine this game will be overlooked by the Cowboys. They did that in 2003 with NAU so expect a well prepared and fired up Cowboy team to be waiting this weekend.

This is a very different team and coaching staff than the one that did not xmadx show up against NAU.

rancher griz
November 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Louisiana has some good cowboys. You will see some of them in the pro rodeo circuit. I've actually been to a cattle ranch in Louisiana. Not to much a different cowboy culture from Montana. Really enjoyed myself. People are very friendly and hospitable. Kind of upset McNeese has to play a big sky team in the first round...again. Have to root for the Eagle, but if McNeese wins I hope they keep moving on till they play us.

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM

All Viator has to do is show the team the film of this year's Eastern Washington at Montana game.

RE/MAXGriz
November 18th, 2007, 05:11 PM
EWU's offense is simply amazing, Nicholls and his WRs (especially Boyce) are incredibly talented. We beat them by just 1 point and Boyce had a huge day against the Griz. This team can play lights out in their west-coast style offense.

Their defense is very opportunistic (is that a word?) they like to grab INTs and make plays to get turnovers, a lot of times it works, other times it doesn't.

Also most of EWU's big play makers are sophomores, younger guys, they might not be so cool under pressure.

Either way this should be one hell of a game.

MSU_77
November 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
EWU's offense is simply amazing, Nicholls and his WRs (especially Boyce) are incredibly talented. We beat them by just 1 point and Boyce had a huge day against the Griz. This team can play lights out in their west-coast style offense.

Their defense is very opportunistic (is that a word?) they like to grab INTs and make plays to get turnovers, a lot of times it works, other times it doesn't.

Also most of EWU's big play makers are sophomores, younger guys, they might not be so cool under pressure.

Either way this should be one hell of a game.

How quickly does their QB get rid of the ball? Do they have a good rushing attack?

EdubAlum
November 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty stoked about this game. if it'd weren't for a family obligation, i'd be headed down there...

grizzpaw
November 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM
their QB IMHO was the best QB in the big sky this year. he is smart and can handle noise very well arm strength is the best can hit every type of pass

JTCowboy
November 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I'm excited to see how this game plays out. I haven't seen McNeese play this year, how have they done against the pass?

The Cowboys tend to give up some yards both on the ground and in the air until their opponents get inside the thirty. At that point they seem to kick into another gear shutting teams down and/or forcing turnovers. That may catch up with then in the playoffs. We will see.

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Go Eagles!
Good luck to both teams, but I want to see EWU in the playoffs. That would be crazy! (and scary)

GtFllsGriz
November 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM
This is a tough match up for me. I have grown to be a McNeese fan thanks to the many times we have played each other. Call it a healthy respect for a great program and some of the nicest fans in the FCS.

However, EWU is our conference brotherin, although they don't show us much love, haha. I have to support them and wish them well in the playoffs. They are hot, hot, hot right now and I think the Cowboys will have their hands full.

After hearing us referred to as the Big Fluffy all year I think it is time that another BSC team steps up to the challenge.

Go Eags!!!!, but good luck McNeese.

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM
This is a tough match up for me. I have grown to be a McNeese fan thanks to the many times we have played each other. Call it a healthy respect for a great program and some of the nicest fans in the FCS.

However, EWU is our conference brotherin, although they don't show us much love, haha. I have to support them and wish them well in the playoffs. They are hot, hot, hot right now and I think the Cowboys will have their hands full.

After hearing us referred to as the Big Fluffy all year I think it is time that another BSC team steps up to the challenge.

Go Eags!!!!, but good luck McNeese.

HAHAHAHAxlolx xlolx xlolx

kalm
November 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
How quickly does their QB get rid of the ball? Do they have a good rushing attack?

There have been a few games (PSU, BYU, an UNC) where he held onto the ball a little long, and took some sacks. But that's better than the picks he was throwing last year. He has the fortune of a great O-line that features 5 seniors including the tight end. They tend to give him ample time, and he has good pocket presence for a sophomore. Two more things I would add are that Nichols can make all the throws and he rushed for 105 yards in the season finale against Weber St.

As for the rushing attack, we feature a spread offense and favor throwing the ball. We run a no-huddle, featuring a variety of formations, and spread the ball around. That being said we have decent backs, lead by Dale Morris (little brother of Maurice with the Seahawks) who is the quick back, and a couple of bruisers in Alexis Alexander and A.J. Jimmerson.

Our offense is fun to watch. There's a lot of motion and running plays from the empty backfield set. Our O.C. also likes to a call quite a few reverses and wide receiver screens. Like many West Coast style offenses, the short passing game becomes an extension of the run, but our receivers have the size and speed to turn short yardage catches into big gains.

Congrats on an undefeated season. Tell us about the Cowboys offense.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Should be a good game. Will be interesting to see how McNeese matches up against a playoff team. I'd like to meet up with the Cowboys in Chatty.

slycat
November 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
good luck mcneese st. rep the slc well. ill be rooting for yall in the playoffs and will rock the mcneese st avatar in support.

lizrdgizrd
November 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
This and the Griz/Wofford game are the two where I see a good chance for a seeded upset. EWU seems to have a high-powered offense that's starting to gel and McNeese really hasn't had a playoff-level game this season. I hope both will turn out to be exciting games. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
There have been a few games (PSU, BYU, an UNC) where he held onto the ball a little long, and took some sacks. But that's better than the picks he was throwing last year. He has the fortune of a great O-line that features 5 seniors including the tight end. They tend to give him ample time, and he has good pocket presence for a sophomore. Two more things I would add are that Nichols can make all the throws and he rushed for 105 yards in the season finale against Weber St.

As for the rushing attack, we feature a spread offense and favor throwing the ball. We run a no-huddle, featuring a variety of formations, and spread the ball around. That being said we have decent backs, lead by Dale Morris (little brother of Maurice with the Seahawks) who is the quick back, and a couple of bruisers in Alexis Alexander and A.J. Jimmerson.

Our offense is fun to watch. There's a lot of motion and running plays from the empty backfield set. Our O.C. also likes to a call quite a few reverses and wide receiver screens. Like many West Coast style offenses, the short passing game becomes an extension of the run, but our receivers have the size and speed to turn short yardage catches into big gains.

Congrats on an undefeated season. Tell us about the Cowboys offense.

The two teams are extremely similar with regards to their offenses after watching both of them. McNeese has a couple of good running backs, a couple of real good receivers, and a good QB. They tend to be a little weak at the corner back at times with a quality D line. Smith can be blocked but if his guy misses a step and doesn't get in his face right away then he is too quick and will get to Nichols. to me this looks like a match up of very similar teams and should be a great first round match up.

Prominentwon
November 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
McNeese really hasn't had a playoff-level game this season.

Regardless of their record, the game @ ULL was a beatdown. They ARE a I-A team and McNeese went in and took care of business. It was almost like it was non chalantly. Over 30K in the stands in an old rivalry game that had a playoff atmostphere. You put ULL in I-AA and they are a playoff team.

We have done to teams what a good team is supposed to do to weaker teams. Before last night I've read people giving UCA some credit and being a "decent" team. They got drummed last night.

All I know is that I've come to the realization that Coach Viator is EXCELLENT Gameday coach and prepares better for what the team has at hand than anyone that I've seen at McNeese.

Let's hope Bryan Smith is able to go and we may be able to put pressure on the EWU QB. He and the SLC's best QB, Nathan Brown, seem similar and hopefully the outcome can be the same.

EWU and McNeese have 1 similar opponent in Portland St. McNeese beat PSU 35-12 and EWU lost 28-21. I hate comparing scores to anything, but SOMETIMES you look at something like that and it jumps out at you.

JTCowboy
November 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM
The two teams are extremely similar with regards to their offenses after watching both of them. McNeese has a couple of good running backs, a couple of real good receivers, and a good QB. They tend to be a little weak at the corner back at times with a quality D line. Smith can be blocked but if his guy misses a step and doesn't get in his face right away then he is too quick and will get to Nichols. to me this looks like a match up of very similar teams and should be a great first round match up.

I really do not think that EWU has seen the kind of 'team' speed that they will see when they visit the hole. Not sure they will see Brian Smith though.

KleinTx05
November 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM
GO COWBOYS!!!!xbowx
Ill be rooting for the 'Boys all the way to CHATT!!!!
KEEP "THE HOLE" BURNING BLUE FLAMES BABY!!!! and bring the Championship back to the SLCxbeerchugx

xthumbsupxTEXAS STATE LOVE!!!!xbandwagonx

kalm
November 18th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I really do not think that EWU has seen the kind of 'team' speed that they will see when they visit the hole. Not sure they will see Brian Smith though.

I doubt if you're faster than BYU, but that game didn't bode well for us either. We appear faster than any other team in the BSC, and that really became apparent when we played on turf at Wah-Griz and NAU. That might be why we occassionally struggle at home. Woodward is a very slow track. I'm assuming that Cowboy Stadium is natural?

Ursus's point about our similarities really rings true if your DE's are a strength and corner's are a weakness. Our D-line has played really well all year, and our ends are very quick and athletic.

BTW, any chance that this game is viewable through local cable or on-line?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM

You don't have to take my word for it but believe me they have the same kind of team speed you do. I think you will agree with that point after playing them whether you win or lose.

McNeese75
November 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM

The SLC has been transmitting webcasts all season but I am not sure about playoffs. We should be hearing something in the next day or so about viewing opportunities.

What is the fan forum address for the Eagles?

ASUdrummer
November 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
This game is going to show us exactly what Montana and the Big Sky are made of. The Griz fans always talk about EWU and their potent offense so I'm excited to see what they can do against a good McNeese St team. Best of luck to both, although I must be a "homer" and so GO EWU!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I doubt if you're faster than BYU, but that game didn't bode well for us either. We appear faster than any other team in the BSC, and that really became apparent when we played on turf at Wah-Griz and NAU. That might be why we occassionally struggle at home. Woodward is a very slow track. I'm assuming that Cowboy Stadium is natural?

Ursus's point about our similarities really rings true if your DE's are a strength and corner's are a weakness. Our D-line has played really well all year, and our ends are very quick and athletic.

kalm did you get my PM? If you did just reply to it.

McTailGator
November 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM

PROBABLY ON-LINE...

JTCowboy
November 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
You don't have to take my word for it but believe me they have the same kind of team speed you do. I think you will agree with that point after playing them whether you win or lose.

I will believe it when I see it. Does EWU have 3-4 guys that go 4.3-4.4. Do I think that EWU has a chance. Of course I do. I was just replying to your team comparisions. I have learned over the years that anybody can beat anyone in these matchups.
There is always alot of moaning and crying on the first day but when the playoffs are over the committee does not look so stupid.

kalm
November 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
The SLC has been transmitting webcasts all season but I am not sure about playoffs. We should be hearing something in the next day or so about viewing opportunities.

What is the fan forum address for the Eagles?

www.eagsports.com

MSU_77
November 18th, 2007, 11:06 PM
www.eagsports.com

Come join our discussions at http://geauxcowboys.com. Click on "forum" at top of page.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2007, 12:55 AM

Even though EWU got beat at BYU, they looked like a lot of teams I have seen play against BYU, speed and size. I think they will match up well against anyone. I know the score didnt' show it, but many of the BYU players thought EWU played with them for the first half. Nichols made some really good throws, can't wait to see how this one comes out.

McNeese_beat
November 19th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Even though EWU got beat at BYU, they looked like a lot of teams I have seen play against BYU, speed and size. I think they will match up well against anyone. I know the score didnt' show it, but many of the BYU players thought EWU played with them for the first half. Nichols made some really good throws, can't wait to see how this one comes out.

Interesting track record the second-place Big Sky team has had recently in the first round. NAU beats No. 1 McNeese in 2003. EWU beats No. 1 SIU in 2004 and in 2006 Montana State handles Furman.

Of course, those games must not have happened, given the Big Sky's overrated status...
xrolleyesx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2007, 03:30 AM

Our sophmore sensations (Nichols, and his WRs) along with our senior O-Line, played then #6 BCS West Virginia AND Oregon State last year. I'm pretty sure we've been on the receiving end of a lot of speed and power, and learned from it. I don't think you guys understand OUR speed, IMHO. Should be a great game, but I think our young guys want it more.

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2007, 07:17 AM
but I think our young guys want it more.
ummmmmm.... yeah? xnutsx

eagle1
November 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I am sure that McNeese hasn't seen a passing offense like EWU but I am sure that we haven't seen a front 4 d-line like yours this season. I think this game will come down to special teams and turnovers. What is the weather forecast for Saturday? Is it going to be a night game? Go Eagles!!!

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I am sure that McNeese hasn't seen a passing offense like EWU

I would put Rhett Bomar and Nathan Brown against any QB in the BSC. Including EWU's. I've seen the stats and although impressive, I would still take Bomar or Brown. Hopefully we'll have Bryan Smith back for this game and from what I understand, he was begging to play for the UCA game. So we'll see. The weather should be decent. Last I've heard it's a 40 % chance of rain and in the 50s. Game time is 7PM CST.

McNeese_beat
November 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I am sure that McNeese hasn't seen a passing offense like EWU but I am sure that we haven't seen a front 4 d-line like yours this season. I think this game will come down to special teams and turnovers. What is the weather forecast for Saturday? Is it going to be a night game? Go Eagles!!!

I'm not saying that UCA is better or worse than you, because I don't know that either way, but Nathan Brown's passing stats going into Week 12 were almost identical to Nichols. They were within about 50 yards of each other, the touchdowns were similar, the completion percentage similar. Brown had a few more picks, but half his picks came in a couple of bad games. In 10 of 12 games (Louisiana Tech and South Dakota State being the exceptions) he took care of the ball.

But UCA used its backs and tight ends more in the passing game. They did not have a single dominant receiver like you have. I'm assuming your guy will be the best McNeese has seen this year.

By the way: Bomar came as advertised too. Sam Houston also lacked the dominant receiver you have. But I really doubt that there's a better QB in the country in terms of tools than Bomar. He's the real deal: speed, size, arm strength, quick release, great feet, great feel for the passing game. If he had Carlese Franklin and Quinten Lawrence, teams would have been in serious, serious trouble.

Now, having said that, if McNeese ever cuts Fourroux loose throwing to Franklin and Lawrence in a 30-pass game, he may put up up 400 yards. But games simply have not flowed that way this year. McNeese has been getting ahead and pounding teams with four tailbacks

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Now, having said that, if McNeese ever cuts Fourroux loose throwing to Franklin and Lawrence in a 30-pass game, he may put up up 400 yards. But games simply have not flowed that way this year. McNeese has been getting ahead and pounding teams with four tailbacks

Can someone post the total defense for EWU? I read your column this morning and don't remember the numbers if there were any. I've seen that the total defense is giving up 358 a game, but I haven't seen a breakdown. Almost 400 yards a game is quite a big number.

McNeese_beat
November 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Can someone post the total defense for EWU? I read your column this morning and don't remember the numbers if there were any. I've seen that the total defense is giving up 358 a game, but I haven't seen a breakdown. Almost 400 yards a game is quite a big number.

They look decent on defense, a little small perhaps, but they don't allow a ton of points in a league with high-powered offenses.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/stats.asp?page=stats/Football/2007/CONFLDRS.HTM

JTCowboy
November 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Yes Cowboys play on natural grass, for now. This will be the last year.

Bronco
November 19th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Our sophmore sensations (Nichols, and his WRs) along with our senior O-Line, played then #6 BCS West Virginia AND Oregon State last year. I'm pretty sure we've been on the receiving end of a lot of speed and power, and learned from it. I don't think you guys understand OUR speed, IMHO. Should be a great game, but I think our young guys want it more.

I don't have anything to say...I just love that picture of the red headed cat being squashed.
Go EWU

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I don't have anything to say...I just love that picture of the red headed cat being squashed.
Go EWU

xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Poor former bobcat, Travis Lulay! I think there's a reason why our University's motto for a while was "SEE RED!" xsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Can we get an opinion on team speed from Glanville? LOL!

The reason I say that is that that was his big theme going into the McNeese game...how fast McNeese is.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I just have to say this:

I think that one factor in how this game goes is who we get for an officiating crew. I think that if we get a crew that calls it tight with respect to holding calls in the passing game it will work to McNeese's advantage. If we get one that "let's them play" a lot as far as offensive linemen holding in pass protection goes it'll be tougher.

Griz0383
November 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Second that GTFLLSGriz, McNeese is a class act and I have to pull for the eagles but I wish both teams the best. The strength of Nichols is his ability to get out side the pocket and either run or deliver a great pass. EWU is very young but they are in great physical shape. Every team Montana has played was done playing by the end of the 3rd quater except EWU. GO EAGLES

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Every team Montana has played was done playing by the end of the 3rd quater except EWU. GO EAGLES

I'm curious as to how you could say that when Portland State outscored Montana 7-0 in the 4th quarter and lost 34-31. Yes, the TD was an interception return. But it was with plenty of time left and I think making a play like that is "playing." I don't see how you can say the Vikings were "done playing" by the end of the third quarter.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Poor former bobcat, Travis Lulay! I think there's a reason why our University's motto for a while was "SEE RED!" xsmiley_wix

I hate that picture!! You guys beat him up pretty bad that night. One of the only teams in the Big Sky that got the best of us during his four years.

EdubAlum
November 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
sounds like i might as well not waste my time watching/listening to the game, apperently EWU is going to get smoked.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I'm curious as to how you could say that when Portland State outscored Montana 7-0 in the 4th quarter and lost 34-31. Yes, the TD was an interception return. But it was with plenty of time left and I think making a play like that is "playing." I don't see how you can say the Vikings were "done playing" by the end of the third quarter.

Well I believe he was talking in general terms as most teams appeared to be very worn down physically in games this year. More so than I ever remember seeing anyway. PSU, EWU,WSU, and last weekends MSU games were very physical games where both teams took a beating.

FormerPokeCenter
November 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Geezus, is it game time yet?

It's only Monday and I'm already sick of the bloviating from both sides about a lack of respect. The regular season is over. It's an entirely new season now, with a zero-tolerance margin of error. What either team did in the regular season means exactly SQUAT right now...

Let's hurry up and tee the damn thing up and see what happens...

kalm
November 19th, 2007, 09:21 PM
It would be stupid to pick an EWU victory, but now that I've had a little time to think about things, I'll give three reasons why Eastern has a shot at the upset.

1) Experience. This is our third playoff experience in 4 seasons, which means the seniors and the coaching staff (excepting the new OC) have been in this situation before and know what it takes to win playoff games. Aside from his ability to develop local talent, I think Paul Wulff is a very, very good big game coach. His record against the Montana schools and how his teams have competed in the playoffs agrees with this notion

2) Road warriors. This team, like most from Eastern squads was unfased @ Wah-Griz stadium (some of you may have heard of that place;) ). EWU has the most wins (4) in that hostile environment - 2 more than the next best, Idaho. We have also played well on the road in the playoffs beating SIU in 2004, and were 10 up on UNI in the dome in 2005 with less than 10 minutes to play. I don't think McNeese's stadium will be as big an advantage as it might seem.

3) Defense. Everyone has heard about EWU's offense, and we have enough weapons, both passing and rushing, that we should get our points, even if you take away Aaron Boyce. But our D has really stepped it up of late. They absolutely took away NAU's impressive running attack, and forced them into being one-dimensional. And Weber's offense was averaging 57.7 pts over their last three games before only managing 16 in Cheney.

I think this will be a close game, and I hope we are fortunate to have a shot at the end.

Now, How 'bout three reasons why the 'Boys will win.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Being a fan of the common opponent for both teams (Portland State), this matchup intrigues me. McNeese was really quick in the season opener, so much that I would say they were the second fastest team we saw next to NAU. We gave EWU chances to win and the Eagles did not take advantage of them, something they obviously did in the weeks that followed. I think playing Central Arkansas the last game of the year, even though EWU is a much more superior team, gave McNeese an idea of what to expect from the Eagles. EWU also did a number on that NAU team that I thought was a little bit quicker than McNeese. Also, the McNeese game was the first game and I'm sure they are vastly improved since then. Our announcers were impressed with the crowd at McNeese, calling it a "mini-Montana" in terms of crowd support. EWU has had success at Wash-Griz, but it is a little different when you're not really expecting it. I say EWU does the Big Sky proud, but McNeese is a formidable foe...McNeese 38, EWU 35.

blackfordpu
November 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM

The same can probably be said for the Cowboys. The SLC was not a very strong conference this year.

msusig
November 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Well looks like you better get out your rain jackets because it looks like it's going to be a wet one at "the hole" Saturday. I'm ready for the tailgating already. Nothing like beer and ribs to get ready for football.

It's going to be a tough road to the chattanooga this year. Eastern Washington then possibly Appalachian State, Montana or Wofford, and the potentially Northern Iowa or UMASS. Talk about a gauntlet. Sounds like something to watch, can't wait.xthumbsupx

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Well looks like you better get out your rain jackets because it looks like it's going to be a wet one at "the hole" Saturday. I'm ready for the tailgating already. Nothing like beer and ribs to get ready for football.

It's going to be a tough road to the chattanooga this year. Eastern Washington then possibly Appalachian State, Montana or Wofford, and the potentially Northern Iowa or UMASS. Talk about a gauntlet. Sounds like something to watch, can't wait.xthumbsupx

Yeah. Both the top and bottom halves are pretty stacked this year (and the bottom half even more so). Whoever comes out of the bottom half will have some _serious_ credentials going into Chat.

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah. Both the top and bottom halves are pretty stacked this year (and the bottom half even more so). Whoever comes out of the bottom half will have some _serious_ credentials going into Chat.

so true. Alot of tough teams in the ranks this year! Should be a great year for some good games.

diznanl
November 21st, 2007, 10:13 AM

Man, I love the picture in your sig ... especially since it's my brother putting the hit on Lulay!

Any idea of the aforementioned game is going to be on TV (satellite? comcast? internet tv?)

mcneese2000
November 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM
I keep seeing predictions that have EWU scoring 30+. I find that interesting because McNeese has yet to allow more than 21 all year. Add in the weather, and I just don't see that kind of score happening.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM
The weather forecast is looking worse and worse. The Weather Underground site now has 50 degrees and a 70% chance of rain and some thundershowers for 6 pm. I sure hope it changes. It frequently does. Stinks that it's turning out like this so far.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Regarding comments on team speed:

The way it's looking now, whoever has the speed advantage is going to lose some of the edge it provides to the weather conditions.

mlbowl
November 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Add in the weather, and I just don't see that kind of score happening.

Yeah...It never rains in Washington...How will the Eags adjust?xlolx Seriously tho, I expect a pretty close game. Go Griz and Go BSC!

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah...It never rains in Washington...How will the Eags adjust?xlolx Seriously tho, I expect a pretty close game. Go Griz and Go BSC!

It actually rains more in Louisiana than in Washington in general and more in Lake Charles than Cheney in particular. Average "rain days" for both cities is 103 but Lake Charles' total precipitation average is 55.6 inches (almost 20 inches more than Seattle's 35.9) as compared to Cheney's 15.8 inches. For November, which is Cheney's second heaviest month, Lake Charles averages 4.4 inches to Cheney's 2.1.

But this kind of rain/temperature combination is not something McNeese is accustomed to playing in. Especially this season. I don't think they've had a real rainy game. I seem to recall that there may have been some rain at Southern Utah but if so it wasn't anything like what's going to be happening Saturday night if the forecast holds.

Plus, everything I've heard so far from people who have watched both teams suggests McNeese is the quicker, faster team. Since I believe that, I'm not real happy about rainy conditions.

mlbowl
November 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM
It actually rains more in Louisiana than in Washington in general and more in Lake Charles than Cheney in particular. Average "rain days" for both cities is 103 but Lake Charles' total precipitation average is 55.6 inches (almost 20 inches more than Seattle's 35.9) as compared to Cheney's 15.8 inches. For November, which is Cheney's second heaviest month, Lake Charles averages 4.4 inches to Cheney's 2.1.

But this kind of rain/temperature combination is not something McNeese is accustomed to playing in. Especially this season. I don't think they've had a real rainy game. I seem to recall that there may have been some rain at Southern Utah but if so it wasn't anything like what's going to be happening Saturday night if the forecast holds.

Plus, everything I've heard so far from people who have watched both teams suggests McNeese is the quicker, faster team. Since I believe that, I'm not real happy about rainy conditions.

Just a little humor, John...I did find it interesting that Lake Charles gets 20 more inches than Seattlexeekx

McNeese75
November 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM

John, you should have been in Cedar City. The rain had stopped at gametime for SUU but I am willing to bet Cowboy stadium will be in much better shape than the SUU field was on that day. The messy conditions did change things but the speed advantage of the Cowboys still stood out on that field.

Another thing, what they call rain in Washington, we call drizzle here :D

diznanl
November 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
Will there be television coverage? Does anyone know?

xconfusedx xpopcornx

Grizaholic17
November 21st, 2007, 03:24 PM

xconfusedx xpopcornx

Is bigskytv doing your game too?

McNeese_beat
November 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Just a little humor, John...I did find it interesting that Lake Charles gets 20 more inches than Seattlexeekx

When it rains here, it rains. None of this piddling around drizzle shat. It fricking rainsxcoffeex

Lots of sitting inside, drinking coffee, waiting for it to clear...

SeattleGriz
November 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
When it rains here, it rains. None of this piddling around drizzle shat. It fricking rainsxcoffeex

Lots of sitting inside, drinking coffee, waiting for it to clear...

No kidding. It will drizzle in Seattle for a week and still not put down any appreciable amount of inches.

Luap57
November 21st, 2007, 04:22 PM
A cool McNeese video, enjoy

http://www.tarvermedia.com/horse.wmv

EdubAlum
November 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM

xconfusedx xpopcornx

heard mcneese is waiting until friday to announce coverage, if any. Game is the same time as the apple cup, which is bad for us eagle fans living outside of Spokompton (aka fox sports nw won't pick it up.) maybe the fox u pacific channel though.

WyomingGrizFan
November 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM
I don't know, 'luap57.' I've heard out west hereabouts that a Pinto isn't that desirable a horse to have, compared to others that is. Not too much on durability as such. Certainly not like the British appreciated the three stockinged Roan over in India as I hear it. Hard to beat them Sorrels as well. Then thar's them quarter horses as well, good for speed on short distances and endurance. 'course, I ain't sayin' Iam some kinda ex-spurt here; just what I've heard. Jeez. Half the video was on nothin' but that thar horse anyways. Jus' sayin,' that's all.

Oh, by the way, if you want to see some of the hi-lites of the Griz-Eagles game played 06 October 2007 here is a link. Just tab the 'Video' on the Oct 6 vs. E. Washington line on the lower left-hand column (may have to scroll a little down to reveal it):

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/media/media_fb.htm

Don't have to tell me about the rain down there. If it's anything like what it's like in Ardmore, Oklahoma, where I lived for about a year or so, dodging tornadoes as such as well; hell, the street curbs around there are a foot tall just to handle the flow of the rain rivers that go through passing us by as they head downtown. Jeez.

Wish you both luck in the game and save travelling for both and their fans..

Luap57
November 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the link Wyominggrizfan; I watched the EWU and Montana State games. I have to admit I'm a fan of Monte; if you don't have a horse and cowboy you should have Monte......

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2007, 11:08 PM
I keep seeing predictions that have EWU scoring 30+. I find that interesting because McNeese has yet to allow more than 21 all year. Add in the weather, and I just don't see that kind of score happening.

It was pouring for the entire first half last week vs. Weber state (and I do mean pouring; a lot heavier than that Seattle drizzle), and we put up 38 on them (compared to the avg of about 20 they were allowing during most of the season). Our D kept them to only 16, after averaging 58 the prior three games. I think we can manage the wet weather and muddy field. It will be a close game (I really don't know who will win this game), but I'd put $20 that we put up 30 or more. xsmiley_wix

You might have kept teams to 21 and under, but then again you haven't played US. Nichols will assault your LBs and secondary through the air time and time again.

GO EAGS!!!

McNeese72
November 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
I don't know, 'luap57.' I've heard out west hereabouts that a Pinto isn't that desirable a horse to have, compared to others that is.

It is an American Paint horse not a Pinto. There is a difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Paint_Horse

Doc

ezgriz51
November 21st, 2007, 11:17 PM
I would put Rhett Bomar and Nathan Brown against any QB in the BSC. Including EWU's. I've seen the stats and although impressive, I would still take Bomar or Brown. Hopefully we'll have Bryan Smith back for this game and from what I understand, he was begging to play for the UCA game. So we'll see. The weather should be decent. Last I've heard it's a 40 % chance of rain and in the 50s. Game time is 7PM CST.
Geez..I'm not sure. I'm old (seen the Griz in 3 stadiums here in ZOOtown), and the one team I don't want to see again this year is Eastern Washington. They beat us BAD (except for that 24-23 scoreboard thing), and are a streaky team that can light you up. That QB is a Favre sort of thing-backwards, sideways, whatever. He can put it up. They're young and have struggled. But, when they're on (like about half the game in Missoula), it's a spooky experience. It was the only game in two years I thought early on we would lose.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Geez..I'm not sure. I'm old (seen the Griz in 3 stadiums here in ZOOtown), and the one team I don't want to see again this year is Eastern Washington. They beat us BAD (except for that 24-23 scoreboard thing), and are a streaky team that can light you up. That QB is a Favre sort of thing-backwards, sideways, whatever. He can put it up. They're young and have struggled. But, when they're on (like about half the game in Missoula), it's a spooky experience. It was the only game in two years I thought early on we would lose.

Check out the first half video on this thread when we played BYU. That TD throw from Nichols under pressure was one of the most rediculous throw and catches I've seen in my life! Just like Mr. Hefner, Nichols has an uncanny ability to score! xlolx

WyomingGrizFan
November 21st, 2007, 11:48 PM
Thank you, 'McNeese72,' for the insight. I should have known better; but really didn't. I work with some one that got her degree in veteninarian medicine working on horses and such; should have asked beforehand wherein she could have pointed that out to me. She's all raves over some type of horse breed out in the Carolinas, can't quite remember which type though. Don't think it's a pony breed. Seems to be well over a hundred type breeds to me.

Best regards.

sharkeycox
November 22nd, 2007, 09:56 AM

After much consideration and input from the Griz fans about our game......I have just learned that because no one outside of the Big Sky plays footbal......McNeese has just decided to forfeitxbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx l

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
It was pouring for the entire first half last week vs. Weber state (and I do mean pouring; a lot heavier than that Seattle drizzle), and we put up 38 on them (compared to the avg of about 20 they were allowing during most of the season). Our D kept them to only 16, after averaging 58 the prior three games. I think we can manage the wet weather and muddy field. It will be a close game (I really don't know who will win this game), but I'd put $20 that we put up 30 or more. xsmiley_wix

You might have kept teams to 21 and under, but then again you haven't played US. Nichols will assault your LBs and secondary through the air time and time again.

GO EAGS!!!

I won't bet but just for fun I'll say I think that, more probably than not, Eastern Washington will not reach 30 points. McNeese hasn't played Eastern Washington, but on average the Cowboys held the opponents they did play to 9.6 points below their averages. They had two games in which opponents scored slightly above their averages (3.8 for Southern Utah and 4 for Stephen F. Austin). But those were games in which McNeese held 42 - 0 and 41 - 7 fourth quarter leads and opponents scored points against backups at "garbage time."

As for Weber State...the Wildcats gave up 29 points per game to FCS opponents including giving up 68 (with no overtime) to Portland State; a team McNeese held to 12. I realize McNeese was Portland State's first game and I also think McNeese is hurt to some extent by not having Bryan Smith for Eastern Washington. But, even without Smith, I suspect McNeese's defense is quite a bit better than Weber State's is.

Nothing's ever certain, and this probably isn't even close to that. But Eastern Washington averaged 33.6 points per game and McNeese's defense is probably a pretty good bit better than the "average" of defenses the Eagles have played against.

Then there's the weather conditions. I think that, usually, weather conditions like those forecast supress scoring some. Doesn't have to work that way. In particular, it could increase points off turnovers. And I've seen games in which defensive backs slip a few times and it leads to big plays. Stuff like that. But, if I have to say what's more likely than not ahead of time I'd say more likely than not the scores will be lower than they otherwise would've been.

Looking more and more likely that we're going to get to find out how bad weather conditions affect things in any case. Weather Underground forecast is now saying "Definite Rain , Isolated Thunderstorms" with an overall precipitation chance of 80% for 6 pm (1 hour before kickoff) and 51 degrees. And my understanding is that it's going to get worse later in the evening.

I'm still hoping it doesn't turn out that way. You never know with weather forecasts.

EdubAlum
November 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I won't bet but just for fun I'll say I think that, more probably than not, Eastern Washington will not reach 30 points. McNeese hasn't played Eastern Washington, but on average the Cowboys held the opponents they did play to 9.6 points below their averages. They had two games in which opponents scored slightly above their averages (3.8 for Southern Utah and 4 for Stephen F. Austin). But those were games in which McNeese held 42 - 0 and 41 - 7 fourth quarter leads and opponents scored points against backups at "garbage time."

As for Weber State...the Wildcats gave up 29 points per game to FCS opponents including giving up 68 (with no overtime) to Portland State; a team McNeese held to 12. I realize McNeese was Portland State's first game and I also think McNeese is hurt to some extent by not having Bryan Smith for Eastern Washington. But, even without Smith, I suspect McNeese's defense is quite a bit better than Weber State's is.

Nothing's ever certain, and this probably isn't even close to that. But Eastern Washington averaged 33.6 points per game and McNeese's defense is probably a pretty good bit better than the "average" of defenses the Eagles have played against.

Then there's the weather conditions. I think that, usually, weather conditions like those forecast supress scoring some. Doesn't have to work that way. In particular, it could increase points off turnovers. And I've seen games in which defensive backs slip a few times and it leads to big plays. Stuff like that. But, if I have to say what's more likely than not ahead of time I'd say more likely than not the scores will be lower than they otherwise would've been.

Looking more and more likely that we're going to get to find out how bad weather conditions affect things in any case. Weather Underground forecast is now saying "Definite Rain , Isolated Thunderstorms" with an overall precipitation chance of 80% for 6 pm (1 hour before kickoff) and 51 degrees. And my understanding is that it's going to get worse later in the evening.

I'm still hoping it doesn't turn out that way. You never know with weather forecasts.

I don't know why we continue to hear how McNeese beat PSU and how Eastern lost to them. That's like saying because App state beat Michigan, App state would have dominated Penn State and Purdue who Michigan beat.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM

But if you take away that one freak game were both offenses exploded and the D's imploded, Weber help FCS opponents to exactly 20 points per game.

Would you say that McNeese's D is better or worse than Montana's? We only put up 23 against them (and it was an away game in a very loud stadium), but we did have 12 penalties for 129 yards which definitely affected the final score. Like I said I don't know what the outcome will be, but I'm very confident that we'l put up 30 or more. Our team is gelling right now and not committing stupid penalties like we did against the Griz. Win or lose, McNeese will have a very hard time stopping us, and vice-versa.

With all that said, again... GO EAGS!!!

Polar Bear
November 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
I haven't seen McNeese St unfortunately, however I did see EWU vs Montana. I was very impressed with EWU's offense. If the EW defense can hold McNeese St than EWU will win this game. By the way EW fans in the Montana game, the catch on 4th down on the final drive for Montana, didn't look like a catch to me, it looked as though the ball hit the ground. Oh well Griz home field advantage (maybe some homer refs).

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
I don't know why we continue to hear how McNeese beat PSU and how Eastern lost to them. That's like saying because App state beat Michigan, App state would have dominated Penn State and Purdue who Michigan beat.

I didn't mention who won or lost against PSU. I was comparing the Weber State defense to the McNeese defense and noted the overall average score Weber State's defense has allowed as well as the fact that the Wildcats gave up 68 points to a team that got 12 against McNeese. It turns out one of PSU's TDs against Weber State was defensive so it was actually 61 points. The comparison is just one part of the overall picture but 61 vs. 12 is a pretty big difference; even considering that McNeese was PSU's first game. I think the overall picture suggests that the McNeese defense is probably better at keeping other teams off the scoreboard than Weber State's defense is. It relates to the question of whether or not scoring 38 points against Weber State in the rain makes it seem likely that Eastern Washington will score 30 or more at McNeese in the rain (if it's raining as expected).

I think likely not. Nobody has scored more than 21 against McNeese all year and there was only one case in which a team got to 21 when a game was in doubt. Six of Weber State's 11 opponents overall and 5 of its 9 FCS opponents got over 21. 5 of 11 overall and 4 of 9 FCS scored 37 or more. Sure, they played different schedules but then you look at what happened with their only common opponent. If you're going to try to decide which defense looks to be better at keeping opponents off the scoreboard you've got to go with what's available.

What will be Saturday night will be. Could be that McNeese won't match up and EWU scores a whole lot. but I'd think that, given the information available right now, any reasaonable person would think that during the regular season it was pretty much harder to score points on McNeese than it was to score them on Weber State so that there's a possibility that how the Eagles' offense did against the Wildcats might not be a good indication of how it'll do against the Cowboys.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
I haven't seen McNeese St unfortunately, however I did see EWU vs Montana. I was very impressed with EWU's offense. If the EW defense can hold McNeese St than EWU will win this game. By the way EW fans in the Montana game, the catch on 4th down on the final drive for Montana, didn't look like a catch to me, it looked as though the ball hit the ground. Oh well Griz home field advantage (maybe some homer refs).

I've seen the replays over and over... as much as I don't like to say it, it was a catch.... an INCREDIBLE effin' catch. xsmhx

I was glad I was there though to witness such a game! :)

Polar Bear
November 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thanx screamin eagle I watched the game live here in Mont, they replayed it one time, my experience is if its questionable local tv doesn't replay for obvious reasons. My bad, good luck in the playoffs.

MSU_77
November 22nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
McNeese has given up an average of 16 points per game, and about half of those points were given up in the 4th quarter during garbage time. The Cowboys have also faced a couple of very good QBs this season and while they did not shut them down they did not have any big plays either. I just don't see EWU scoring 30 against McNeese in "The Hole" but stranger things have happened.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I just don't see EWU scoring 30 against McNeese in "The Hole" but stranger things have happened.

Like NAU in 2003? :D xlolx

Sorry, I had to. xwhistlex

MSU_77
November 22nd, 2007, 02:44 PM

Touche'! xthumbsupx

Tod
November 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Like Montana/Wofford, this should be a good game. But you never know. Good luck to both teams! I'm rooting for the Big Sky team, but I've always been a closet McNeese fan. I win either way. :D :D :D

placidlakegriz
November 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Like Montana/Wofford, this should be a good game. But you never know. Good luck to both teams! I'm rooting for the Big Sky team, but I've always been a closet McNeese fan. I win either way. :D :D :D

Me too. (Closet McNeese Fan) Dad was born in New Orleans and I still have family down there. What's not to love about crawfish etouffee, gumbo and gumbalaya. Hope you have a great game. Win or lose.

Griz0383
November 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Polar bear shame on you!xnonox The catch has not been under review and hoping that he didn't catch will not change the fact that he did catch the ball! Griz 24 EWU 23!xthumbsupx

McNeese72
November 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM

Different head coach and coaching staff and different players. This team has better chemistry than did the 2003 team. There is no senioritis and the players are a lot hungrier. And Matt Viator will have them prepared for the game.

I don't see a repeat of 2003. If we lose it will be because EWU beats us and it won't be because of lack of preparation or overconfidence of the players like what I think happened in 2003.

Doc

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM

The McNeese defense of 2003 finished ranked 51st in scoring defense. I don't know of a way to see where they ranked as of the end of the regular season but if you take out the Northern Arizona game and see where the resulting average would've fallen in the final rankings it would be at a tie for 44th .

This McNeese defense is ranked 8th in scoring defense. It is also a different kind of defense. There is a different coaching staff in place that employs a different philosophy.

Another thing: What happened with Northern Arizona was the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Big Sky teams playing at McNeese in the playoffs. McNeese is 5-1 against Big Sky teams at home in the playoffs, including 2-0 against Montana.

I frankly think the weather is going to help your boys' chances. So I hope your players and coaches are feeling the kind of overconfidence some of you guys are. That would help.

WyomingGrizFan
November 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
By the way EW fans in the Montana game, the catch on 4th down on the final drive for Montana, didn't look like a catch to me, it looked as though the ball hit the ground.

No way!!! The ball was cleanly caught by Ryan Bagley with both hands. It never came close to hitting the ground before being cleanly caught. Did you see the replays; between the 4:06 to 4:30 time frame? No way did the ball hit the ground before it was caught. Strange that there has been no mention of any such controversy for nearly two months after the game has been played until now.

Tod
November 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Different head coach and coaching staff and different players. This team has better chemistry than did the 2003 team. There is no senioritis and the players are a lot hungrier. And Matt Viator will have them prepared for the game.

I don't see a repeat of 2003. If we lose it will be because EWU beats us and it won't be because of lack of preparation or overconfidence of the players like what I think happened in 2003.

Doc

This will be a good game, I think. McNeese is certainly the favorite, but I believe it will be close. But...who knows? xconfusedx :) :) :)

Tod
November 22nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
The McNeese defense of 2003 finished ranked 51st in scoring defense. I don't know of a way to see where they ranked as of the end of the regular season but if you take out the Northern Arizona game and see where the resulting average would've fallen in the final rankings it would be at a tie for 44th .

This McNeese defense is ranked 8th in scoring defense. It is also a different kind of defense. There is a different coaching staff in place that employs a different philosophy.

Another thing: What happened with Northern Arizona was the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Big Sky teams playing at McNeese in the playoffs. McNeese is 5-1 against Big Sky teams at home in the playoffs, including 2-0 against Montana.

I frankly think the weather is going to help your boys' chances. So I hope your players and coaches are feeling the kind of overconfidence some of you guys are. That would help.

Touche', John. xbowx xbowx xbowx

WyomingGrizFan
November 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Different head coach and coaching staff and different players. This team has better chemistry than did the 2003 team.

I don't see a repeat of 2002

Loathe I am to look past any opponent, not only in the regular season but even more so during the FCS Play-offs, but the McNeese State chemistry looked pretty damn good back in the fourth quarter of our game in 2002. One name that still sticks in my craw from then is B. J. Sams.

Cincy App
November 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Will there be any online video feed for the McNeese-EWU game? If so, any cost?

EdubAlum
November 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM

we're still waiting to hear....i think everyone wants to know

McNeese72
November 22nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
One name that still sticks in my craw from then is B. J. Sams.

Number 12. Carlese Franklin has been wearing that number well. :)

Honestly, I'm very worried about how our injuries have mounted. We may have more people sitting on the sidelines than I'd like.

Doc

WyomingGrizFan
November 22nd, 2007, 10:56 PM

Could keep this link available:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/football/2007playoffs

...might come in handy. Just in case. At least there's an audio link, it seems, for a live broadcast, perhaps.

MSU_77
November 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM

I haven't heard yet that there will be any TV or online video for this game. The link to the McNeese audio broadcast is http://www.broadcastmonsters.com/McNeese/mcneese.asx. The link is also on the geauxcowboys.com (http://www.geauxcowboys.com)page.

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Touche', John. xbowx xbowx xbowx

Well, the two Montana games at Lake Charles obviously could've gone either way. What I'm getting at is that a Big Sky team going to Lake Charles and blowing McNeese out like NAU did in 2003 has, at least to date, been unusual. That's true for both the regular season and the playoffs.

History can evolve as time goes on, no doubt. But for now that's the history.

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Number 12. Carlese Franklin has been wearing that number well. :)

Honestly, I'm very worried about how our injuries have mounted. We may have more people sitting on the sidelines than I'd like.

Doc

I agree. Missing a lot of bullets and playing in the slop. I'd much rather be playing in dry 65 degree conditions with the team that took the field against Louisiana-Lafayette; but that is not to be.

Only thing that gives me some small comfort is that players #2, #3 and even #4 or 5 on the depth chart in some cases keep stepping up. I just hope it can somehow continue and the Cowboys can find a way to get at least one more point than Eastern Washington does tomorrow night.

Cincy App
November 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the links, WyomingGrizFan and MSU 77. I really like the Montana summary of the broadcast links for all the FCS playoff games. I have added it to my favorites. Can't wait to get the games underway!

MSU_77
November 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
I agree. Missing a lot of bullets and playing in the slop. I'd much rather be playing in dry 65 degree conditions with the team that took the field against Louisiana-Lafayette; but that is not to be.

Only thing that gives me some small comfort is that players #2, #3 and even #4 or 5 on the depth chart in some cases keep stepping up. I just hope it can somehow continue and the Cowboys can find a way to get at least one more point than Eastern Washington does tomorrow night.

The players will warm up nicely after a few minutes on the field. Remember, passing in the rain is more difficult than running. Our corners and safeties just need to try not to fall down.

EdubAlum
November 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
less than 24 hours till kick off. GO EAGS

mcneese
November 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM
G E A U X C O W B O Y S !!!!!! Beat Directional Washington University.xlolx
G E A U X C O W B O Y S !!!!!! Beat
the crap out of the Eagles.xeekx
G E A U X C O W B O Y S !!!!!! Make Louisiana proud.xthumbsupx

mcneese
November 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
in case y'all didn't catch that...
GEAUX MAAACNEESE!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM
G E A U X C O W B O Y S !!!!!! Beat Directional Washington University.xlolx
G E A U X C O W B O Y S !!!!!! Beat
the crap out of the Eagles.xeekx
G E A U X C O W B O Y S !!!!!! Make Louisiana proud.xthumbsupx

beat McNeese Community College!

Prominentwon
November 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM
This game is going to be NASTY. Non Stop rain and chilly as can be. I don't really have a good feeling about this one to be honest.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/map/interactive/70663?from=36hr_topnav_home

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2007, 12:03 PM
This game is going to be NASTY. Non Stop rain and chilly as can be. I don't really have a good feeling about this one to be honest.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/map/interactive/70663?from=36hr_topnav_home

Put it this way: I'd feel a lot better about it if we were looking at it being played in dry, 60 degree conditions. I don't think it's like a "give up" situation. But I've said all along that I think the conditions that are going to be prevalent help Eastern Washington's chances and it's one of those things I'm not happy about but nobody can control.

mcneese
November 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Stop with the negative CRAP!xbawlingx I for one have a good feeling about the outcome...nervous, but a good feeling.xnodx I think Viator will have this team ready to play. We will see soon enough. Geaux McNeese, beat the hell outta partial state college of eastern Washington State!!!!!xsmiley_wix

sharkeycox
November 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Put it this way: I'd feel a lot better about it if we were looking at it being played in dry, 60 degree conditions. I don't think it's like a "give up" situation. But I've said all along that I think the conditions that are going to be prevalent help Eastern Washington's chances and it's one of those things I'm not happy about but nobody can control.

How do you get out of bed in the morning?xeekx

DuckDuckGriz
November 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
When does the game start?

sharkeycox
November 24th, 2007, 01:04 PM
When does the game start?

7 PM central time.

msupokes1
November 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I think the conditions help a team that can run the ball. I hear alot about EWU passing game but how is their running?

eagle1
November 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
EWU can run the ball but don't be surprised if EWU sticks with the pass. They can throw the ball in any kind of weather. The conditions will however affect both teams. This game will be decided by special teams and who wins the turnover battle. Go Eagles!!!

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Just came back from the stadium. There is already standing water on the field. We have 4 hours and 49 minutes of solid rain before kickoff...

Ain't going to be pretty.

I can pretty much much already claim that this will be one of the two worst weather game's I've seen involving McNeese. The other was Nicholls back in I believe it was 2000.

Prominentwon
November 24th, 2007, 02:17 PM
The other was Nicholls back in I believe it was 2000.

I was there along with about 300 other McNeese fans.xlolx I'm not so sure this game will beat that one. That's the heaviest consistent rain I've probably ever seen that night. Thankfully, it wasn't 45 degrees though. Not what I can say for what we're in for tonight.

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Just came back from the stadium. There is already standing water on the field. We have 4 hours and 49 minutes of solid rain before kickoff...

Ain't going to be pretty.

I can pretty much much already claim that this will be one of the two worst weather game's I've seen involving McNeese. The other was Nicholls back in I believe it was 2000.

sharkeycox
November 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I was there along with about 300 other McNeese fans.xlolx I'm not so sure this game will beat that one. That's the heaviest consistent rain I've probably ever seen that night. Thankfully, it wasn't 45 degrees though. Not what I can say for what we're in for tonight.

Looks like the weather is clearing. Radar shows rain should be ending before gametime!!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

sharkeycox
November 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Looks like the weather is clearing. Radar shows rain should be ending before gametime!!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

OMG!!!!! The sun is poking through!!!xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Ronin
November 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
FYI: Montana just lost to Wofford.

Kaduce
November 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Here is a link to the EWU broadcast...

http://www.oldies1011.com/

MSU_77
November 24th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Then you weren't at the Dayton game in 1975. Played in a tropical storm.

sharkeycox
November 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Then you weren't at the Dayton game in 1975. Played in a tropical storm.

Also plaled North Texas to a 0-0 tie during a tropical storm in the 80's.

AppGirl
November 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Go Eastern Washington!!! (I want to play in Boone next week.)

Polar Bear
November 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM
My appologies to all Griz fans for my earlier post. I didn't see a replay on TV which was my point. Its all good, sorry about your loss, great season and good luck next year!

FormerPokeCenter
November 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Also plaled North Texas to a 0-0 tie during a tropical storm in the 80's.

I remember that game well..1985..fortunately, it wasn't cold...but it sure was sloppy and wet....I couldn't get any footing at all...

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
35 minutes until kickoff!!!! C'mon and START already!

McNugget fans, how's the weather lookin' down there!? :D

catbob
November 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Is there any way at all to watch this game? Satelitte?

McNeese_beat
November 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
35 minutes until kickoff!!!! C'mon and START already!

McNugget fans, how's the weather lookin' down there!? :D

The weather is GREAT...here in the press box :).

Outside it's 48 degrees, winds northeast at 10 mph. It's not currently raining but it's soaking wet on the field and the field is getting chewed up just by the pre-game warmups.

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Go Eastern Washington!!! (I want to play in Boone next week.)

me too! I might even come....

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
The weather is GREAT...here in the press box :).

Outside it's 48 degrees, winds northeast at 10 mph. It's not currently raining but it's soaking wet on the field and the field is getting chewed up just by the pre-game warmups.

Super jealous, I'd love to watch this game from the Press Box... let alone watch the game! I have to settle for a radio feed! xbawlingx

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Good luck to both teams. Go Eagles represent the Big Sky well

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Good luck to both teams. Go Eagles represent the Big Sky well

Thanks Peems! We will! xnodx xthumbsupx

Obzerver
November 24th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Any ground rules on this thread??

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Is there a McNeese feed that anyone is aware of that is better quality than the 8kb feed from broadcastmonsters.com?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Any ground rules on this thread??

No kicking McNeese when they're d.... NOPE! No ground rules! :D xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Is there a McNeese feed that anyone is aware of that is better quality than the 8kb feed from broadcastmonsters.com?

The EWU feed (link on page 14) is coming in crystal clear! (Audio only unfortunately)

mcneese
November 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Want to listen? go to geauxcowboys.com

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks! The sound is much better!

AppState09
November 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I will listen to find out more about these two teams, hopefully Eastern Washington pulls it off and heads to Boone next weekend.

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Got the Eastern feed going. I expect a classic.

Obzerver
November 24th, 2007, 06:58 PM
No kicking McNeese when they're d.... NOPE! No ground rules! :D xlolx

I hear ya!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Eagles win the toss!

Kickoff coming up! WOOOOOO! GO EAGLES!!!!

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Did Eastern want the ball?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM
EWU deferred to 2nd half

Flag on first play for McNuggets... illegal shift on Mc

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Penalty on McNeese first play of the game.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM
3rd and 8 for the Cowboys

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
EWU D holds, Nuggets Three and out

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Phew, close call on the punt return... but good position on the EWU 45

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
INT return for TD, McN

hApPYaPpYFan
Let's go EWU!!!!

Peems
Whoops

AppState09
INT returned for TD 7-0 Mcnesse

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:08 PM
7-0 McNuggets

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Good return on the int-td

Obzerver
November 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
10th longest in MSU history..EWU is in their record books

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
10th longest in MSU history..EWU is in their record books

xlolx

28 Yard return for Ira Jarmon

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Eagle Driving... 1st down on Cowboy 25!

AppMountaineer13
the EWU radio guy sounds like if Al Michaels were an auctioneer

DaGriz
Go Eags. Make the Big Sky proud. I can't believe this wasn't the espn game. This should be a great game.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
First Down on the the 13!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
TD EASTERN WASHINGTON!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Any video on this?

AppState09
Touchdown Eagles, 7-7 :)

Screamin_Eagle174
EAGS are lookin' good, both through the air and on the ground! xthumbsupx

7-7 ALL!!!

GO EAGLES!!!

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
audio link anyone?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
audio link anyone?

www.oldies1011.com

Free to register, takes 2 seconds and it's crystal clear! xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Cowboys driving, 1st and 10 on EWU 30

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM
3rd and 9 for the Nuggets!

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
good statement drive from mcneese right now.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
FUMBLE!!!

But McNuggets recover for 1st down :(

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2007, 07:27 PM
3rd and 9 for the Nuggets!

damn, wish we could have recovered that fumble

B&G
November 24th, 2007, 07:27 PM
McNeese's announcers were putting me to sleep. The EWU broadcast has more pep to it.

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
McNeese's announcers were putting me to sleep. The EWU broadcast has more pep to it.

I was the exact opposite. EWU was jangling my nerves -- i had to take it down a notch and switch to McNeese

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 24th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Go Eags!

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2007, 07:29 PM
wooo hooo! eagle fumble recovery!

B&G
November 24th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Big play Eagles! McNeese is known for slow starts this year right?

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 07:30 PM
how many people are there right now? does anybody know?

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
how many people are there right now? does anybody know?

~10k

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Eagles Driving... sorry was on the phone working the details of a friends wedding... hard to listen to both!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM
1st Down on MSU 28!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Screen Pass to Brown, EAGS on MSU 14

Screamin_Eagle174
xmadx INTERCEPTION Nuggets Ball

EdubAlum
pick.... :(

B&G
November 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Another turnover for EWU. Crowd sounds non-existant on the audio feed.

APPride
November 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM

B&G...can u post a link to the EW audio thread u r listening to? thanks if so...

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Holding call on McNeese, 7-7 at the start of the 2nd Quarter

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM
B&G...can u post a link to the EW audio thread u r listening to? thanks if so...

www.oldies1011.com

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Eagles Blitz, ball knocked down, 3rd and 4 MSU

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM
MSU to punt... ball almost intercepted! :D

APPride
November 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM
www.oldies1011.com

thanks!

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Great field position for EWU

Kaduce
Not a good punt... good field position!

Screamin_Eagle174
Nice 24 yard punt for MSU

2nd and 4 for EWU

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
First Down Eags!

B&G
November 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Man, a lot of mistakes in this game yet neither team can make the other pay.

Sorry APPride for the delay on the link. Glad someone else hooked you up.

Screamin_Eagle174
Man I love this EWU announcer! He's doing a great job!

1st down Eastern

Peems
Man I love this EWU announcer! He's doing a great job!

1st down Eastern

Do you guys not have one "set" guy?

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Eagles Offense is Rollin

Screamin_Eagle174
Well looks like both teams are backing up their talk: McNeese has amazing speed, but my Eags are raping the Cowboys through the air!

Nice catch by Boyce, 1st Down!

Kaduce
Yes, this is him. Larry Weir.

JMU-MRD-DAD
Score?

Screamin_Eagle174
Do you guys not have one "set" guy?

Don't know... this is the first time I've listened to a game this year... I've been at almost all the rest... home or away

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Score?

7-7, but Eagles are in the redzone

B&G
November 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
FG, EWU 10-7

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
FG coming up for Eastern...

24 yard kick is up and...... GOOD!

10-7 Eastern, 9:13 left in the first half!

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
some mcneese state fans were saying no way in hell would we score more than 30 points on them....I hope we make them eat their words

ERASU2113
November 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Looks like it'll be another great game for the playoffs. Gotta love the FCS

blackfordpu
November 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Man, the gamecast on ESPN.com is way behind.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Looks like it'll be another great game for the playoffs. Gotta love the FCS

Amen to that. #2 is out, #3 is behind, and #1 is getting all they can handle from UNH.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
some mcneese state fans were saying no way in hell would we score more than 30 points on them....I hope we make them eat their words

We will... if we don't turn the ball over. If it wasn't for those first two picks, we'd probably be up 24-0 right now the way we're raping them through the air!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
3rd and 9 for MSU! Lets hold'em Eastern!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
1st and goal McNeese at the EWU 10

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Our D is cranking up the pressure.... c'mon boys, get some!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Ball deflected....

3rd and Goal!

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Eastern is shooting themselves in the foot, they should be winning by more, let's got Eags

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Nice job Eagle D

EdubAlum
blocked kick!!!!! woo hoo!

Peems
Kick BLOCKED!!

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
BLOCKED! Awesome job!

Screamin_Eagle174
EAGLES BLOCK THE FG!!!! EASTERN STILL UP 10-7

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM
at some point McNeese is going to have to get points out of a drive.. EWU should be up a lot more than they are, and conversely, McNeese could be up by a lot more than they are.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Tony Davis 13 yrd reception, 1st down.... nice redemption after tipping the pass earlier that led to the 66 INT return

Peems
Nichols may not be the fastest guy, but he sure can get it done on the ground.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
sounds like Nocholls is playing pretty well despite the two int's

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 08:01 PM
7 yrd scramble by Nichols... After his 103 yard rushing performance against Weber, I should start calling him Vince Young!

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 08:02 PM
7 yrd scramble by Nichols... After his 103 yard rushing performance against Weber, I should start calling him Vince Young!

xlolxxlolx

You can't compare the two...Matt can actually throw!

DaGriz
Nichols may not be the fastest guy, but he sure can get it done on the ground.

I thought he was really slow actually, I couldn't believe he had over 100 yards rushing last weekend. Guess he's quicker than I thought.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
what conference are the officials from?

Screamin_Eagle174
C'mon refs, call the game!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I thought he was really slow actually, I couldn't believe he had over 100 yards rushing last weekend. Guess he's quicker than I thought.

He's not that fast, but he's smart and can see the openings

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 08:04 PM
2nd and 3 for EWU

over 200 yards of O for EWU so far

Screamin_Eagle174
1st down on MSU 49

B&G
I believe the refs are from the Patriot League.

Peems
The announcer sounds surprised by the way Eastern runs their offense? I mean, really?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM
INTERCEPTION!!! EASTERN BALL!

EdubAlum
a pick! woo hoo

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
way to put in the backup QB lol