PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth HC Teevens hospitalized following bike accident

Go Green
March 19th, 2023, 02:59 PM
This sounds awful. Hope for the best for Coach Teevens and his family...

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/3/18/football-buddy-teevens-hospitalized-after-bicycle-accident-in-florida-230318.aspx

bulldog10jw
March 19th, 2023, 10:14 PM
I hope he has a full recovery. Good luck to him.

caribbeanhen
March 20th, 2023, 08:06 AM
Get well Coach

kdinva
March 20th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Get well, Coach,

ngineer
March 23rd, 2023, 03:14 PM
So sorry to see this. I hope we get to see him on the sideline this September when Lehigh travels to Hanover!!

Go Green
March 24th, 2023, 12:34 PM
The good words and good wishes are much appreciated and enheartening.

That said, the accident occurred last weekend. Neither Teevens, his family, or the Dartmouth Football Office has provided any meaningful updates. I believe that the longer that we don't get word about his condition, the more likely it is that he will require extensive rehabilitation.

Obviously, everyone's first choice is that Teevens makes a full recovery and returns to the sidelines soon. But at this point, I am expecting Dartmouth to announce the appointment of an interim head coach soon the way the Lakers did in 1980 in a comparable situation for the upcoming season, and then see where things stand after that...

Bill
March 24th, 2023, 09:19 PM
The good words and good wishes are much appreciated and enheartening.

That said, the accident occurred last weekend. Neither Teevens, his family, or the Dartmouth Football Office has provided any meaningful updates. I believe that the longer that we don't get word about his condition, the more likely it is that he will require extensive rehabilitation.

Obviously, everyone's first choice is that Teevens makes a full recovery and returns to the sidelines soon. But at this point, I am expecting Dartmouth to announce the appointment of an interim head coach soon the way the Lakers did in 1980 in a comparable situation for the upcoming season, and then see where things stand after that...

So...are you suggesting Paul Westhead is up next for Dartmouth, or is there a Pat Reilly waiting in the wings??xlolx

bonarae
March 24th, 2023, 11:22 PM
I believe there will be finally new blood in an Ivy sideline this coming season... xrulesx

Go Green
April 1st, 2023, 02:05 PM
Dartmouth is having a zoom meeting for its football boosters Tuesday at noon. The purpose of the meeting likely will be to announce an interim coach (and it will probably be Sammy McCorkle).

Still very little information about Teevens' condition--which I can only surmise means that his condition is seriously dire...

bonarae
April 1st, 2023, 05:15 PM
Dartmouth is having a zoom meeting for its football boosters Tuesday at noon. The purpose of the meeting likely will be to announce an interim coach (and it will probably be Sammy McCorkle).

Still very little information about Teevens' condition--which I can only surmise means that his condition is seriously dire...

They're hiding information like the Carter Center has had xchinscratchx ?

Has McCorkle had any head coaching experience before, BTW?

KPSUL
April 1st, 2023, 06:48 PM
There is much more information in this article on the accident: https://www.vnews.com/buddy-teevens-update-50453157
This is a very sad situation. He was apparently hurt seriously - damage to the pick-up included the windshield and it was traveling at 50 mph. It would be more encouraging if they weren't in a rush to identify an interim replacement. I hate to see an extremely healthy and fit guy in his mid-sixties disabled in a moment. Hard to fathom the effect this may have on Buddy, his family and the Dartmouth athletic community.

bonarae
April 1st, 2023, 07:04 PM
There is much more information in this article on the accident: https://www.vnews.com/buddy-teevens-update-50453157
This is a very sad situation. He was apparently hurt seriously - damage to the pick-up included the windshield and it was traveling at 50 mph. It would be more encouraging if they weren't in a rush to identify an interim replacement. I hate to see an extremely healthy and fit guy in his mid-sixties disabled in a moment. Hard to fathom the effect this may have on Buddy, his family and the Dartmouth athletic community.

Unexpected add to the coaching carousel too. Maybe the next thing we'll hear about Teevens is that he would pass on... xprayx

NY Crusader 2010
April 2nd, 2023, 06:52 AM
Car v. bike with the truck going 45-50mph. It's a miracle he survived that. Impacts at half that speed can kill. Wishing Buddy the fullest and speediest recovery possible.

caribbeanhen
April 2nd, 2023, 10:07 AM
Car v. bike with the truck going 45-50mph. It's a miracle he survived that. Impacts at half that speed can kill. Wishing Buddy the fullest and speediest recovery possible.

I grew up with someone that was riding a bike and got hit by a car going 50 mph, survived but a much different person after that trauma and it happened 40 years ago and will never recover. At least he is alive but he won’t be coaching again.

ngineer
April 2nd, 2023, 06:53 PM
So sad to hear this, and I agree that the silence over his condition is not a good sign. From what little has been gleaned from the accident, I will be shocked if he hasn't suffered internal injuries along with several fractures, but most importantly is the concern for brain trauma. Rehab for a 'senior' from a very traumatic incident is a long road, from experience with family members. Prayers for strength to the Coach and peace for his family and friends.

bonarae
April 2nd, 2023, 07:11 PM
So sad to hear this, and I agree that the silence over his condition is not a good sign. From what little has been gleaned from the accident, I will be shocked if he hasn't suffered internal injuries along with several fractures, but most importantly is the concern for brain trauma. Rehab for a 'senior' from a very traumatic incident is a long road, from experience with family members. Prayers for strength to the Coach and peace for his family and friends.

Did you read some of my previous posts (#s 10 and 12 of this thread)? I am afraid this may be the last time we'll ever hear about Teevens until he passes away. After Teevens (I think 2nd or 3rd stint at Dartmouth is his last), is Murphy the only blue-blooded Ivy coach left on the sidelines right now?

Go Green
April 3rd, 2023, 08:16 AM
Has McCorkle had any head coaching experience before, BTW?

Nope, but he's been on the staff the longest.

Pretty sure that the only assistant coach currently on staff at Dartmouth with HC experience is Dave Shula. But to put it charitably, his HC stint did not go well...

Go Green
April 4th, 2023, 11:22 AM
As expected, Dartmouth named Sammy McCorkle acting head coach of the football team through spring today on a zoom call with Dartmouth Football boosters.

bonarae
April 7th, 2023, 08:39 PM
As expected, Dartmouth named Sammy McCorkle acting head coach of the football team through spring today on a zoom call with Dartmouth Football boosters.

Craig Haley has still not updated the new coaches of the FCS page (https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/03/2022-23-head-coaching-changes-in-fcs-college-football/) with Dartmouth's change.

Dartmouth athletics' home page allows fans and supporters to share messages for Teevens... https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/3/20/show-your-support-for-coach-teevens-during-his-recovery-230320.aspx

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2023, 08:14 AM
Latest update:

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/4/18/show-your-support-for-coach-teevens-during-his-recovery-230320.aspx

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/19/buddy-teevens-dartmouth-football-coach/

kdinva
April 19th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Latest update:

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/4/18/show-your-support-for-coach-teevens-during-his-recovery-230320.aspx

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/19/buddy-teevens-dartmouth-football-coach/

too early to tell, but I think a return to the sideline THIS Fall won't happen.....hopefully 2024.

Go Green
April 19th, 2023, 12:29 PM
Rob Mendez (google him) has made clear that you don't need arms or legs to coach.

But... much depends on whether Teevens sustained cognitive injuries.

kdinva
April 19th, 2023, 12:47 PM
Rob Mendez (google him) has made clear that you don't need arms or legs to coach.

I remember mr mendez now.....

Mocs123
April 20th, 2023, 05:32 AM
As an avid cyclist and FCS football fan, this is terrible news.

bonarae
April 20th, 2023, 08:31 AM

xprayx But I do think new blood is badly needed on the Ivy sidelines.... since many of the League's football coaches are senior citizens... think of Murphy, Bagnoli, etc... xrulesx

Go Green
April 20th, 2023, 12:04 PM
xprayx But I do think new blood is badly needed on the Ivy sidelines.... since many of the League's football coaches are senior citizens... think of Murphy, Bagnoli, etc... xrulesx

If you want to argue for new blood in the Ivy coaching ranks, fine.

But age doesn't seem to be the right way to be making that case, as the two youngest coaches in the Ivy are a combined 33-87.

Go Green
May 8th, 2023, 01:07 PM
Dartmouth just announced that McCorkle will be interim head coach for the remainder of the 2023 season.

Hopefully by 2024, Teevens will be in a position to rejoin the program in some form. But for the rest of the year at least, it's McCorkle's team.

bonarae
September 7th, 2023, 05:33 PM
Teevens may possibly retire for good following this season. He won't be in Hanover at all this fall. Over the past summer, he and his wife moved to Boston to continue rehab.

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/7/26/show-your-support-for-coach-teevens-during-his-recovery-230320.aspx

Franks Tanks
September 7th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Teevens may possibly retire for good following this season. He won't be in Hanover at all this fall. Over the past summer, he and his wife moved to Boston to continue rehab.

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/7/26/show-your-support-for-coach-teevens-during-his-recovery-230320.aspx

It seems very unlikely Buddy will be physically able to coach. While updates were not super direct, he seems to be paralyzed, lost a leg, and may have suffered a TBI. One of the best guys in the business.

Go Green
September 8th, 2023, 05:41 AM
It seems very unlikely Buddy will be physically able to coach. While updates were not super direct, he seems to be paralyzed, lost a leg, and may have suffered a TBI. One of the best guys in the business.

Sadly, I believe that you are probably correct. And I know that similar sentiments are shared by others in the Dartmouth community.

Still... we all hope for the best for Buddy.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2023, 08:01 AM
Sadly, I believe that you are probably correct. And I know that similar sentiments are shared by others in the Dartmouth community.

Still... we all hope for the best for Buddy.

Absolutely, coaching D1 football is a physically and mentally demanding job with lots of hours and travel. If Buddy is able and wants to still be involved, I’m sure Dartmouth can find him an appropriate role in athletic admin or in a consulting capacity. He’s a very intelligent guy, but his main goal at this point may be improved quality of life.

Go...gate
September 8th, 2023, 08:38 PM
Damn. Such sad news! Prayers continuing to be sent his way.

bonarae
September 8th, 2023, 08:52 PM
Absolutely, coaching D1 football is a physically and mentally demanding job with lots of hours and travel. If Buddy is able and wants to still be involved, I’m sure Dartmouth can find him an appropriate role in athletic admin or in a consulting capacity. He’s a very intelligent guy, but his main goal at this point may be improved quality of life.

We'd all be surprised if Dartmouth doesn't let him go after this season ends. But I'm afraid he may pass on during this season.

They should start a national search for his replacement starting next week... xcoffeex

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2023, 10:26 PM
They should start a national search for his replacement starting next week...

Beyond Tim Murphy, "national" searches in the Ivy have been anything but, with regional candidates rising to the fore:

James Perry (Brown): Was the head coach at Bryant
Mark Fabish (Columbia): Assistant coach at Columbia
David Archer (Cornell): Assistant coach at Cornell
Ray Priore (Penn): Assistant coach at Penn
Bob Surace (Princeton): Previous college job was an assistant at Western Connecticut St.
Tony Reno (Yale): Assistant coach at Harvard

Imagine the spit-takes at Ivy headquarters if Dartmouth picked up Justin Wilcox from Cal or Rich Rodriguez at Jacksonville State.

Go Green
September 13th, 2023, 02:15 PM
It appears that all eight Ivy schools will wear "BT" decals on their helmets to show support for Coach Teevens in his recovery...

Ivy League Football Teams to Wear BT Decal on Helmets - Dartmouth College Athletics (dartmouthsports.com) (https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/9/12/football-ivy-league-teams-to-wear-bt-decal-on-helmets-230912.aspx)

As for his permanent replacement (and yes, I do think that appears most likely as much as I hate to admit it), my gut is that if we have a winning record, we will take the "interim" off of Sammy McCorkle's title. If we have a losing record, we open it up. If we go .500, it's anyone's guess...

That said, recruiting appears to be going VERY well for Dartmouth this cycle.

crusader11
September 19th, 2023, 07:22 PM
Awful news. I figured he’d never coach again, but not this.

Beyond tragic.

https://home.dartmouth.edu/news/2023/09/dartmouth-announces-death-buddy-teevens-79

Go Green
September 19th, 2023, 07:39 PM
I feel just empty now...

Such awful, awful news...

bonarae
September 19th, 2023, 08:13 PM
Condolences to the Dartmouth community and football team.

bulldog10jw
September 19th, 2023, 08:30 PM
Condolences to his family and the Dartmouth community.

CHIP72
September 19th, 2023, 08:35 PM
Very sad news about Buddy Teevens' passing in the aftermath of his accident earlier this year.

RIP Buddy

ncspiderfan
September 19th, 2023, 09:00 PM
What terrible news.

Prays for his family and the Dartmouth players, coaches and community.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2023, 09:46 PM
Terribly sad to hear. It will be a somber weekend in Hanover...

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2023, 09:52 PM
I’m a little surprised to hear this very sad news

RIP Coach Teevens

MUHAWKS
September 19th, 2023, 10:51 PM
Wow- I knew the accident and injuries were bad but was not expecting to hear this. To all Dartmouth players/fans etc. I am truly very sad and sorry to hear this. Another dose of perspective, damn..

Go...gate
September 20th, 2023, 01:15 AM
Condolences and prayers for the Teevens family and the entire Dartmouth and Ivy League community.

Pards Rule
September 20th, 2023, 07:23 AM
So sad to read this news. Our heartfelt condolences from the Leopard family to our brethren at Dartmouth community. We havent played much against one another (I was just telling my good college friend that over the weekend as we rehashed the Columbia win) yet cant not scroll without stating RIP coach and prayers for the family, friends, alums and players there.

The Boogie Down
September 20th, 2023, 03:49 PM
I wish I didn't hafta read all this. So sad. Condolences to his family, friends, staff & players from across generations. I don't know, maybe b/c I like forest green, or maybe b/c of their weird helmets, but Dartmouth has always been my favorite Ivy. As a Fordham fan I can relate to their mercurial runs too. Unlike say Yale (usually good) or Columbia (usually bad), Dartmouth (like Fordham) has been all over the place for decades. To me at least, that makes their program more intriguing. Teevens himself always seemed interesting too. He didn't have that coach "look" and certainly didn't run orthodox practices but he definitely had his share of winning moments. RIP Coach, you'll be greatly missed.

Sader87
September 20th, 2023, 04:28 PM
I did not know until last night that he and Harvard's HC Tim Murphy were life-long friends being HS teammates and later coaching together etc,

Tragic, didn't know Buddy personally, but I knew of him for about 50 years as he played HS near me, watched play at Dartmouth against HC and followed his coaching travels over the years.

Heartfelt condolences to the Teevens and Dartmouth families.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2023, 06:05 AM
I did not know until last night that he and Harvard's HC Tim Murphy were life-long friends being HS teammates and later coaching together etc,

Tragic, didn't know Buddy personally, but I knew of him for about 50 years as he played HS near me, watched play at Dartmouth against HC and followed his coaching travels over the years.

Heartfelt condolences to the Teevens and Dartmouth families.

Didnt know that either. Murphy and Tavani got their starts under Russo like 1987

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 21st, 2023, 06:24 AM
Both Buddy Teevens and Tim Murphy coached at UMaine and Teevens was the youngest head coach in the country at the time at 28 yrs old when he was at Maine. He was highly respected at Maine and Dartmouth and was credited with using robotic tackling dummies and not going full contact for the entire practice week. RIP Coach Teevens and condolences to the family.

Ivytalk
September 22nd, 2023, 11:26 AM
Very sad news indeed. Prayers for the Teevens and Dartmouth families.

bonarae
September 22nd, 2023, 07:50 PM
I'll close with a tribute. https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2023/9/20/football-buddy-teevens-tribute.aspx

Time to move on, folks. xpeacex