PDA

View Full Version : Review of Transitions by SD Schools

SDFS
March 16th, 2023, 10:16 PM
Here is an article that reviews the FCS financial impacts for the South Dakota schools. The article does provide some nice summary data.

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/news/sioux-falls/sdsu-usd-rely-heavily-on-state-money-and-student-fees-to-subsidize-division-i-athletics
When compared with rivals, the South Dakota schools are not unique, according to the News Watch analysis of NCAA data from 2012-2020 (fiscal year 2021 was disregarded due to COVID-related impacts):

The average percentage of allocated funds for FCS schools is 71%, which means USD is less subsidized than most schools at their competitive level.
Other Summit League public schools that sponsor football also rely heavily on allocated funds: North Dakota State (33%), North Dakota (54%) and Western Illinois (72%).
SDSU reported $4.4 million in ticket revenue in 2020, compared with $960,000 for USD.
NDSU reported $6.3 million in ticket sales in 2020, while UND had $4.9 million (including Division I hockey) and Western Illinois $900,000.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 18th, 2023, 06:49 AM
NDSU athletics is the least subsidized by their state. Plus NDSU's fund raising entity (Teammakers) raises a ton of money for athletic scholarships. I keep telling the TMers president to get to that 10 million mark in donations ASAP.....then shoot for 15 million....

AmsterBison
March 23rd, 2023, 01:49 PM
I don't like reporting like this because there is no reason not to include links to the data it was compiled from.

Also, take this blurb:

The average percentage of allocated funds for FCS schools is 71%, which means USD is less subsidized than most schools at their competitive level.
Other Summit League public schools that sponsor football also rely heavily on allocated funds: North Dakota State (33%), North Dakota (54%) and Western Illinois (72%).

That seems a bit slanted. If NDSU is heavily subsidized at 33%, how is USD at double the rate of institutional support characterized as subsidized less than average? And "heavily subsidized" compared to who, I wonder?

ST_Lawson
March 23rd, 2023, 03:58 PM
I don't like reporting like this because there is no reason not to include links to the data it was compiled from.

how is USD at double the rate of institutional support characterized as subsidized less than average?

I agree that data sourcing would be nice.

The second bit is in the article. The FCS average is 71%, USD is at 66%, which is less than the average.

I also don't see how NDSU's 33% is considered "heavily subsidized" since, again, the FCS average is 71%. Also, it mentions the P5 average is 7%, which means that NDSU is closer to P5 than they are to the FCS average in terms of the % of their athletics funded by the university.

SDFS
March 23rd, 2023, 07:50 PM
It was written by Stu (who is know to be a bit of troll) who I think was trolling on all schools in the Dakotas not named NDSU.

Sycamore62
March 28th, 2023, 01:29 PM
is this the whole athletic department? I thought you could compare actual figures and came up with NDSU at about $2M and USD at about $2.7M subsidized and the actual dollar figures are closer but if the percentages are from the whole athletic department then we are adding in teams who only make money from donations too.