PDA

View Full Version : Tune in Thursday...

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM
To see this year's Heisman winner in action. xcoolx ESPN Oregon @ Arizona this Thursday night.

Realistically though I think this year the Heisman race is as wide open and wild as ever. I think if Dennis has a stellar game at either Arizona or UCLA, he can pretty much wrap it up.

You knew I Had to start it sometime -- Dixon is the only reason Oregon is #2 - granted Stewart is all-around a better athlete, but Dixon is what engineers the offense.

I always like to see it go to a guy who is great off the field. DD graduated with honors last spring - I had a class with him my freshman year when he was backup to Kellen Clemens -- we were in a lab group together. He's a great guy, actually showed up to class more than I did.

And get this - the guy has never had a drip of alcohol in his entire life. That's the only thing I think that is wrong with him. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oBOZq9uHR0

This one is for AZGriz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQO2Rn5FIh4

brownbear
November 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
When was the last time they did a Pac-10 game on Thursday night? It seems like it's mostly Big East and ACC on Thursdays.

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
When was the last time they did a Pac-10 game on Thursday night? It seems like it's mostly Big East and ACC on Thursdays.

I think the last one was Week 2 when Oregon State got killed by Cincy - but other than that I don't think there has been an actual matchup of two Pac-10 teams.

It's about time.

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
F#$K Thursday Night Football!!!!!

The last time Arizona hosted a Thurs. night game, the boosters and alum were pissed. You can't tailgate because of classes, and the attendance suffers because it's difficult, if not impossible, for their fans from metro Phoenix to attend!

Count me as one of those who won't be at the game, despite having tickets. I don't get out of work until 6PM. Given the time of day and the distance, I'd be lucky to make it into the stadium before the 2nd quarter.

The shortcommings of this year's Wildcat squad have put Jim Livengood (UA Athletic Director) on the hotseat, and this week's game isn't helping him either. Mike Stoops is on the hot seat too, but he is unlikely to be fired because they can't afford to buy out his contract and hire a quality replacement. They got him because they spent so much getting rid of Mackovic, they couldn't afford a proven head coach 4 years ago.

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM

The last time Arizona hosted a Thurs. night game, the boosters and alum were pissed. You can't tailgate because of classes, and the attendance suffers because it's difficult, if not impossible, for their fans from metro Phoenix to attend!

Count me as one of those who won't be at the game, despite having tickets. I don't get out of work until 6PM. Given the time of day and the distance, I'd be lucky to make it into the stadium before the 2nd quarter.

The shortcommings of this year's Wildcat squad have put Jim Livengood (UA Athletic Director) on the hotseat, and this week's game isn't helping him either. Mike Stoops is on the hot seat too, but he is unlikely to be fired because they can't afford to buy out his contract and hire a quality replacement. They got him because they spent so much getting rid of Mackovic, they couldn't afford a proven head coach 4 years ago.

I am surprised to say the least. I think a Thursday night primetime game is good for the Pac-10 and good for Arizona who hasn't gotten alot of national exposure in recent years for football other than the occasional upset. I think it will be a pretty close game - the Ducks hopefully don't get caught looking ahead and UA has played Oregon very well in the last few years. Why couldn't you tailgate because of classes? Most classes are out by 3 or 4 in the afternoon anyway.

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I am surprised to say the least. I think a Thursday night primetime game is good for the Pac-10 and good for Arizona who hasn't gotten alot of national exposure in recent years for football other than the occasional upset. I think it will be a pretty close game - the Ducks hopefully don't get caught looking ahead and UA has played Oregon very well in the last few years. Why couldn't you tailgate because of classes? Most classes are out by 3 or 4 in the afternoon anyway.

Well, it's not just classes. People have to leave work early too. The tailgate area on the UofA Mall is close to many classroom buildings. It's difficult for tailgaters to setup with the sea of students moving through the area. It's not impossible to tailgate, just a gigantic pain in the arse.

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Well, it's not just classes. People have to leave work early too. The tailgate area on the UofA Mall is close to many classroom buildings. It's difficult for tailgaters to setup with the sea of students moving through the area. It's not impossible to tailgate, just a gigantic pain in the arse.

I can see that. Any chance of you cutting out of work early on Thursday?? You're missing the Vince Young Light!!! :D

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I can see that. Any chance of you cutting out of work early on Thursday?? You're missing the Vince Young Light!!! :D

Nope. I already wrote the game off when I saw it on the schedule. I'm really pissed though because I already missed 2 other games for circumstances beyond my control (New Mexico and Stanford). So I dropped $255 for season tickets, but only got to see half the home games....
Trust me, people were annoyed when the Thurs. game was announced. A few years ago, a local sports columnist predicted that Livengood would never schedule another Thurs. night game, because the last time he did he got an earful from the boosters. I guess ESPN backed a dumptruck full of money too big to turn down. xsmhx

One more thing to make life painful for the Phoenix contingent of UofA fans: The I-10 exits through downtown Tucson are closed for like 2 years. On a Saturday afternoon, the drive is increased 20-25 minutes because you have to get off the freeway early and take surface streets. That time will be signifcantly longer on Thursday night during rush hour.

HLecter
November 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Mike Stoops from Youngstown, Ohio--is his brother Mark still there with him?

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Nope. I already wrote the game off when I saw it on the schedule. I'm really pissed though because I already missed 2 other games for circumstances beyond my control (New Mexico and Stanford). So I dropped $255 for season tickets, but only got to see half the home games....
Trust me, people were annoyed when the Thurs. game was announced. A few years ago, a local sports columnist predicted that Livengood would never schedule another Thurs. night game, because the last time he did he got an earful from the boosters. I guess ESPN backed a dumptruck full of money too big to turn down. xsmhx

When was the last time the Pac 10 had a Thursday night game or have they yet this season? I guess UA must have been wanting the money because I haven't seen any Thursday night matchups for any BCS conferences other than the ACC and Big East.

HLecter
November 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
GIVE ME A POINTSPREAD WINNER.

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Mike Stoops from Youngstown, Ohio--is his brother Mark still there with him?

Yeah, Mark's the defensive coordinator. Stoops is well liked in Tucson and his coaching ability is respected. However, he has gotten a reputation for being a hot-head and screamer and difficult to work for. The turnover among his staff has been very high over the last 4 years. He's having trouble getting quality assistants to work for him.

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
GIVE ME A POINTSPREAD WINNER.

Oregon, 45-17 xcoolx

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Oregon, 45-17 xcoolx

Arizona has trouble with mobile QB's, but they do adjust....
I think it'll be 24-10. Oregon will jump out to a 17-0 lead, then the UofA defense will settle in. The Wildcat offense will do what they do best: Shoot themselves in the foot.

Note: I'm prediciting a UO turnover returned for a TD by Arizona here!

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Our defense is not as good without the Autzen crowd behind them. I think it will be something like 41-20 or 33-17 -Cats up at halftime -- Ducks pulling away in the 4th.

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Our defense is not as good without the Autzen crowd behind them. I think it will be something like 41-20 or 33-17 -Cats up at halftime -- Ducks pulling away in the 4th.

Oregon doesn't need a defense. Arizona will do an excellent job of stopping themselves offensively.

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Oregon doesn't need a defense. Arizona will do an excellent job of stopping themselves offensively.

You'd be surprised. With our defense, UA will convert every 3rd & Long. It always happens xsmhx

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
You'd be surprised. With our defense, UA will convert every 3rd & Long. It always happens xsmhx

Come to think of it, UofA's offense has played well against the Oregon the last two meetings.

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Come to think of it, UofA's offense has played well against the Oregon the last two meetings.

That's true -- especially last year during our late-season collapse. And two years ago when they broke Kellen Clemens' leg xbawlingx

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
especially last year during our late-season collapse. xbawlingx

I'm glad you specified which "Late Season Collapse." I get them confused when discussing Oregon football!
xsmiley_wix

At least UofA has the decency to suck early, killing your hopes, then playing solid football the 2nd half of the season, giving hope for next year. Only that hope is shattered early the next season.... etc...

DuckDuckGriz
November 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I'm glad you specified which "Late Season Collapse." I get them confused when discussing Oregon football!
xsmiley_wix

At least UofA has the decency to suck early, killing your hopes, then playing solid football the 2nd half of the season, giving hope for next year. Only that hope is shattered early the next season.... etc...

It's hard for us to suck early. Over-confidence and no classes till late September will do that to you.