PDA

View Full Version : There's something seriously wrong with the D-II selection process

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Somebody put this on the McNeese Delphi board:

http://carsonnewmaneagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111107aaa.html

I don't even know if I understand what the heck the NCAA is doing in that Division. But whatever it is, it's in need of reform.

UNHWildCats
November 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM
that is completely pathetic.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 07:14 PM
That's the way it works in DII. xsmhx

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Earned Access, an oxymoron. How it works, if a conference does not have a playoff qualifier, that is a team in the top six in their respective region, but does have a member in the top ten in their region, they will get the bid and the lowest (#6) will be dropped out.

It is a way for the conferences with less and much less than full funding (36 scholarships) to earn access to the playoffs. This year Carson-Newman was the victim of the process.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM
That's the way it works in DII. xsmhx

Well, I will say that Carson Newman is rated 25th by Massey's power ratings. But in reading it is looks like they have a pretty convoluted system. If they want to make sure conferences are represented, give automatic bids.

Don't have an "at large" type system where you pass over the 5th rated team in regional rankings to include the 6th and 12th regionally ranked teams.

This is pathetic.

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Well, I will say that Carson Newman is rated 25th by Massey's power ratings. But in reading it is looks like they have a pretty convoluted system. If they want to make sure conferences are represented, give automatic bids.

Don't have an "at large" type system where you pass over the 5th rated team in regional rankings to include the 6th and 12th regionally ranked teams.

This is pathetic.

Automatic bids will not work here John, the Northeast region is filled with no-scholarship and practically no-scholarship teams. Sometimes conference champions in that region are not even in the top ten in their region.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 07:39 PM

This is pathetic.

It is pathetic.xoopsx

walliver
November 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
This makes it quite clear why so many schools are looking to get out of Division 2.

On the other hand, it is interesting that the regional rankings are publicly available (no secretive committee).

chrisattsu
November 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM
It is frustrating. Tarleton was 8-0, ranked in the Top-10 Nationally, and #4 Regionally just three games ago. We lost a game against ACU, fell to 8-1, Top 15, and #7 in the region. We won the next game and lost our final game against an undefeted #4 (nationally) West Texas A&M team.

Final season record: 9-2, but because only the Top 6 get to go. We got bumped.

I think what hurt our SoS was playing against Stephen F. Austin. D2 will let you play D1/FCS games, however, they do not count towards your strength of schedule in regional rankings. So in the eyes of the rankings, Tarleton went 8-2.

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I had noticed that Carson-Newman wasn't in the field and wondered why. Now I know. This is a joke. That's usually where the quality athletes from my area go who don't get recruited for DI (so they get all of UT's leftovers).

They beat UTC this year!! (who beat GSU, who beat ASU, who beat Michigan).

So I guess it's questionable whether ASU or Michigan would make the DII playoffs.xlolx xlolx :p :p

Hansel
November 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
why do you think NDSU left DII?

the DII strength of schedule abicus (sp) is a joke

bkrownd
November 13th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Eh, much ado about nothing. It's just another form of autobid, where the small conference only gets the autobid if their best team is ranked highly enough in the region. Catawba won the game and the playoff spot fair and square. If you want to control your destiny, then win the damn conference title outright! If not, don't whine if nobody throws you a crumb.