PDA

View Full Version : Which Golf Major is more Prestigious

Gil Dobie
April 22nd, 2005, 06:31 AM
If you could win only one of golfs four Majors, which would you choose?

My personal preference would be the Masters, with the US Open second, British Open and then the PGA last.

eaglefan452
April 22nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Close call, but I have to give the edge to the Masters with the British Open in a close second. So much history between the two events, makes for a tough decision.

blueballs
April 22nd, 2005, 03:20 PM
I think I would go for the US Open since it (and 89hen can confirm or rebuke) gives the longest exemption on the PGA Tour and future Opens.

polsongrizz
April 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
I'll take the Masters, I always wanted to wear a puke green sports jacket ;)

ISUMatt
April 22nd, 2005, 04:47 PM
Wimbledon!!! EASY.. Oh Golf... MASTERS BABY!!!! You get to pick dinner next yr then!!! PIZZA, CHEESE STIX, AND SLURPEES!!!

89Hen
April 22nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
I think I would go for the US Open since it (and 89hen can confirm or rebuke) gives the longest exemption on the PGA Tour and future Opens.

Being as it seems that I'm the only one who voted for the US Open above :o I started thinking along similar lines when I was voting bb but decided that the US Open is still more prestigious. All four majors plus the Tour Championship all carry 5 year exemptions on the PGA Tour.

Actually the Masters carries the most weight if you take other tournaments into consideration. If you're IN the Masters, that means you've already done well for yourself. You have to have won a major in the past, finished in the top 8 of the previous US Open or top 4 of the British or PGA, won a major amateur event, or finished in the top 40 money previous year or be in the top 50 in the world. You or I could go out and qualify for the US Open without ever winning a thing.

However, the US Open (1900) has a longer history than the Masters (1934) and is open to everyone. It is OUR championship. The Masters is so popular thanks the advent of television. But don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Masters. If I had to rank order of which I enjoy, it would be Masters, US, British, PGA. The order I'd prefer to win... US, British, Masters, PGA. I figure I'd rather be famous on two continents. :D

putter
April 22nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
I would have to go with the Masters also. Too much tradition with current golfers with the British Open a close second.

D1B
April 22nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
I would have to go with the Masters also. Too much tradition with current golfers with the British Open a close second.

I witcha Putter. I'd love to play Augusta Nationaly, and I don't golf.

Fordham
April 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
wow, has anyone here ever gone to the Masters?

I was lucky enough to make it a few years back for the opening round (and was able to take my old man, nonetheless!). far and away the best sporting event I've ever been to - bar none! I've also been to a US Open (Bethpage). US Open was nowhere in the same universe from a spectator standpoint ... and from an "awe" standpoint. My vote, thus, obviously had to go Masters.

ChickenMan
April 22nd, 2005, 08:07 PM
US Open... normally a much tougher test than Augusta

ngineer
April 22nd, 2005, 10:18 PM
I voted for the Masters to edge out the US Open only because it's a championship of champions. The course is also such a classic.

89Hen
April 23rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
I guess I should mention that I may be a little biased on my vote for the US Open. My club has hosted two US Opens and is in line for the 2011. Also, my sister is (my parents were too before they passed) also a member of Pinehurst, so I've got a little history with the Open. :o

Gil Dobie
April 24th, 2005, 12:48 AM
The Twins Cities have hosted several times, with the legendary Bobby Jones winning at Interlachen in 1930 and Payne Stewert winning the most recent at Hazeltine. A friend of mine sold a 1930 program for over $3000 on ebay a couple years ago.