PDA

View Full Version : Do the Chickens make the playoffs after losing second straight?

NovaWildcat
November 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
serious question. just wondering.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM
There's already a smack thread going... xcoffeex

NovaWildcat
November 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
no smack, just want to know if we are playing the role of spoiler this week.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
no smack, just want to know if we are playing the role of spoiler this week.
Then ask...

"If Delaware loses to Villanova this week will they still make the playoffs?"

What you posted is smack. xcoffeex

RadMann
November 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Smack thread, but I'll respond anyway: No, if they lose again, no playoffs.

BigApp
November 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I don't see any smack. xcoffeex just four words:

RadMann
November 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Any message posted by a Nova fan with the word "chicken" in it is smack... ;)

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2007, 10:48 AM
DUH SMACK IS IN DUH....TITLE O' DUH THREAD!

aust42
November 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Hypothetically speaking, if Delaware were to lose to Villanova, we still make the playoffs at 8-3. The win over bowl bound Navy puts us in for sure. The Nova game will determine whether or not we get a 1st round home game.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if Delaware were to lose to Villanova, we still make the playoffs at 8-3. The win over bowl bound Navy puts us in for sure. The Nova game will determine whether or not we get a 1st round home game.
Not true. IF the Hens are in the playoffs, they WILL host.

UDBlueLotFan
November 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
8-3, I say we still host 1st Rd. On the road after that.

aust42
November 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM

I hope your right. If that's the case then I'd have to assume the much anticipated Delaware vs Delaware State is already etched in stone.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I hope your right. If that's the case then I'd have to assume the much anticipated Delaware vs Delaware State is already etched in stone.
1998 was the last time that either Montana or Delaware went on the road... that was when they still seeded 1-16.

BigApp
November 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Any message posted by a Nova fan with the word "chicken" in it is smack... ;)

DUH SMACK IS IN DUH....TITLE O' DUH THREAD!

So, if the title read:

"Do the Hens make the playoffs after losing second straight?"

it wouldn't be smack??

RadMann
November 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Big App: Now you're getting the picture.....

Go...gate
November 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Yes. They will play AT Delaware State. :D

Seriously, they will host a game. The Navy win should get them a lot of love from the Committee.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
So, if the title read:

it wouldn't be smack??
Closer. Add, IF they lose second straight, then it would be non-smack.

Umass74
November 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
No. If Delaware looses two in a row and only has 7 DI wins, they're out. And the committee won't spend any time on it.

There are more deserving 8 DI win teams. The win at Navy was great but it's still only one win.

The Hens could end the problem by winning Saturday.

Dukie95
November 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM

That's right. JMU fans are painfully aware how stadium capacity and economics plays into home games, NOT record (for non-seeded teams).

If UD makes the playoffs, they WILL host. Unless for some odd reason Delaware St. gets a seed!! xbawlingx :D

Dukie95
November 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Actually...re: my previous post.

Didn't Hampton get a seed last year or the year before for going undefeated in I-AA play? A 10-1 DSU team with a single loss to Kent St. just MIGHT get them a seed.

Since seeded opponents are determined first by geography, it's possible that the Hens could find themselves playing in Dover.

xrulesx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Didn't Hampton get a seed last year or the year before for going undefeated in I-AA play? A 10-1 DSU team with a single loss to Kent St. just MIGHT get them a seed.

Since seeded opponents are determined first by geography, it's possible that the Hens could find themselves playing in Dover.

xrulesx

I don't think they had a seed just a home game....UMass was the seeded team in the Hampton/UNH side of the bracket.

Dukie95
November 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I don't think they had a seed just a home game....UMass was the seeded team in the Hampton/UNH side of the bracket.

They had a seed in '05 when UR went there and won.

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2007, 12:13 PM
So, if the title read:

it wouldn't be smack??

HERE DUH SMACK...HE'S SAYIN' WE'RE GOIN' DOWN DIS SATURDAY.....:(...AWK!

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM

xrulesx

Hampton did get the seed 2005 for being undefeated, but the difference between 11-0 and 10-1, especially for a team from the MEAC/OVC/Patriot is huge. Of course, sometimes it depends on who that 1 is

10-1 DSU doesn't get a seed, too many other good teams out there. Besides, if Delaware gets in, they get a home game, and the only thing DSU really wants is a game vs. Delaware. Hens get it, Hornets get the game they've been waiting for gift-wrapped for them.

texcap
November 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I think Delaware gets in at 8-3, unless some crazy things were to happen this weekend. In general the craziness is over and, for the most part, the favorites in the conferense have won the AQ's. In years past we have seen some teams get an AQ who never would have been an at-large selectoin and the conference favorite was dropped down to an at-large. That didn't happen very much this year because all of the AQ's are deserving of their invitation, automatic or not.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Two years ago, but they were #2 in two of the polls (#4 in AGS). I don't think DelSt will be that high at the end of next week.

Dukie95
November 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hampton did get the seed 2005 for being undefeated, but the difference between 11-0 and 10-1, especially for a team from the MEAC/OVC/Patriot is huge. Of course, sometimes it depends on who that 1 is

10-1 DSU doesn't get a seed, too many other good teams out there. Besides, if Delaware gets in, they get a home game, and the only thing DSU really wants is a game vs. Delaware. Hens get it, Hornets get the game they've been waiting for gift-wrapped for them.

If the committee follows their own rules AND IF DSU should get a seed, UD will travel to Dover.

All pairings will be made by the Division I football committee. The following principles are applied when pairing teams:

1. The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity;
2. The remaining teams will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the four pairings previously placed in the bracket.
3. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games;
4. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket.

Say what you will about the strength of the MEAC, I'm just saying there is precedent that MEAC teams have received seeds by running the I-AA/FCS table.

I think a seed for DSU is a long shot, but the rule is certainly interesting.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Now, in this case, I believe they would avoid giving DSU a seed to avoid missing out on the UD revenue, but it's certainly interesting.
xeyebrowx Sheesh, you joining the ESPN Delaware conspiracy theories now too? ;)

GannonFan
November 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Guys, Del St is not getting a seed. There's not a chance in the world that they do. SIU gets the 4th seed - if they lose, Richmond, Wofford, Appy St, UMass, UD, even Eastern Kentucky would all get seeds before Del St. would. Who even brought this up?

Dukie95
November 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM
xeyebrowx Sheesh, you joining the ESPN Delaware conspiracy theories now too? ;)

Actually, I edited that shortly after posting, because it did read rather like a conspiracy. :)

Dukie95
November 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Guys, Del St is not getting a seed. There's not a chance in the world that they do. SIU gets the 4th seed - if they lose, Richmond, Wofford, Appy St, UMass, UD, even Eastern Kentucky would all get seeds before Del St. would. Who even brought this up?

I did, because it would be the only way UD would not get a home game. I agree that it's not likely, but certainly possible.

UncleSam
November 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
No. If Delaware looses two in a row and only has 7 DI wins, they're out. And the committee won't spend any time on it.

There are more deserving 8 DI win teams. The win at Navy was great but it's still only one win.

Apparently you haven't taken a very serious look at the potential at-large playoff field. You would have to name 8 other 8-3 teams to keep UD out of the playoffs, but I won't ask you to go that far, just name 4 schools that would have a better resume than an 8-3 Delaware team, I'll be waiting. xrolleyesx

mcveyrl
November 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think the committee would take 8-3 Delaware over 8-3 JMU for a lot of reasons:

Nice geographical setup with an auto-bid.
Beat JMU head to head.
Losses were to a good Villanova team and a playoff team.
Navy win.

IMO, these outweigh the fact their losses happened to be in a row.

GannonFan
November 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I did, because it would be the only way UD would not get a home game. I agree that it's not likely, but certainly possible.

I actually think an 8-3, SoCon champ Wofford will get a seed over DSU, and since Wofford's regular season is over I just don't think there is any possibility of DSU getting a seed. Remember, the MEAC went with a 9 game conference schedule mandate this year - DSU only left the conference twice - squeaker win over Coastal and a blow out loss to Kent St. This isn't the undefeated Hampton team that got a seed in 2005.

BigApp
November 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
HERE DUH SMACK...HE'S SAYIN' WE'RE GOIN' DOWN DIS SATURDAY.....:(...AWK!

MAYBE HE UH....PICKER UP DUH TIN CAN...AND SQUAWK TO DIONNE WARWICK......BRAWK!

xlolx

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2007, 01:40 PM

(Assuming UR & JMU win);
If UD wins 100% they're in
If UD loses & Hofstra loses 90% UD is in.
If UD loses & Hofstra wins 60% UD is in- I think in this case it could come down to Hofstra & UD for the 4th CAA team.

As pointed out, UD would only have 7 Div I wins. The Navy win is kind of mitigated by playing Div II West Chester. xcoffeex

aust42
November 12th, 2007, 02:32 PM
(Assuming UR & JMU win);
If UD wins 100% they're in
If UD loses & Hofstra loses 90% UD is in.
If UD loses & Hofstra wins 60% UD is in- I think in this case it could come down to Hofstra & UD for the 4th CAA team.

As pointed out, UD would only have 7 Div I wins. The Navy win is kind of mitigated by playing Div II West Chester. xcoffeex

Those of you who think Delaware wouldn't make the playoffs at 8-3 with a win over bowl bound Navy are either not familiar with the history of the 1AA playoffs and/or smoking crack. Our current two losses were close losses to ranked teams. Right now we're ranked 9th with two teams currently in the top 16 that are not going to the playoffs. A loss to Villanova would certainly not drop us out of the top 16. Let's be realistic here.

devilhen
November 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM

The Hens could end the problem by winning Saturday.
Wishful thinking on your part...xpeacex

Umass74
November 12th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Apparently you haven't taken a very serious look at the potential at-large playoff field. You would have to name 8 other 8-3 teams to keep UD out of the playoffs, but I won't ask you to go that far, just name 4 schools that would have a better resume than an 8-3 Delaware team, I'll be waiting.

Dude, read carefully. I said 8 win teams, not eight teams.

If the committee takes a seven win Hen team over a team with eight wins they should sue.

West Chester does not count. It's a void.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Then ask...

"If Delaware loses to Villanova this week will they still make the playoffs?"

What you posted is smack. xcoffeex

lighten up a bit :D

aust42
November 12th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Dude, read carefully. I said 8 win teams, not eight teams.

If the committee takes a seven win Hen team over a team with eight wins they should sue.

West Chester does not count. It's a void.

Put that crack pipe away Umass74, it's clogging up your common senses. xlolx

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Put that crack pipe away Umass74, it's clogging up your common senses. xlolx

actually i think he has a point, i forgot about west chester being on the schedule, i'm sure that wont be overlooked.

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM
actually i think he has a point, i forgot about west chester being on the schedule, i'm sure that wont be overlooked.

He has no point.. the FACT is that there are not EIGHT at-large candidates that have a better resume than does UD.. even if the Hens finish at 8-3.

If you disagree please list the 'eight' more deserving schools.. however the fact is you can't find eight.. in fact you can't even find four.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
He has no point.. the FACT is that there are not EIGHT at-large candidates that have a better resume than does UD.. even if the Hens finish at 8-3.

If you disagree please list the 'eight' more deserving schools.. however the fact is you can't find eight.. in fact you can't even find four.

all i said was it that i forgot about it and it wouldnt be overlooked. personally i couldn't care less how you guys get in but if you do i'll see you at the Tub

Umass74
November 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Again, I did not say eight teams. I said eight win teams. You're posting about something I did not say.

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Again, I did not say eight teams. I said eight win teams. You're posting about something I did not say.

Uh, we all understand perfectly well what you're saying--but apparently you're not understanding what others are saying.

The point is that for Delaware not to make the playoffs, there would have to be eight teams with better at-large resumes (since there are, as I'm sure you know, eight at-large playoff spots to fill). If you actually looked at the playoff contenders, you would note that there very well might not even be eight remaining teams (after the autos) with eight D-I wins. So the committee would have to dip into 8-3 teams with 7 D-I wins.

Maybe you're not aware, but Delaware is hardly the only at-large contender with a D-II on its schedule. Eastern Washington has one. Georgia Southern has one. As for some of the potential 8-3 teams that don't have D-IIs on their schedules, that would include teams like Colgate and Eastern Illinois--teams that clearly would not have resumes to match Delaware's, even with one more D-I win.

So, we know that you said eight-win teams--and now we're asking you who those eight-win teams would be. All we're saying is that there would have to be eight of them to fill out the at-large field.

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
And to answer the question, yes, Delaware is in win or lose.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I agree that UD is a lock.

Umass74
November 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Uh, we all understand perfectly well what you're saying--but apparently you're not understanding what others are saying.

The point is that for Delaware not to make the playoffs, there would have to be eight teams with better at-large resumes (since there are, as I'm sure you know, eight at-large playoff spots to fill). If you actually looked at the playoff contenders, you would note that there very well might not even be eight remaining teams (after the autos) with eight D-I wins. So the committee would have to dip into 8-3 teams with 7 D-I wins.

Maybe you're not aware, but Delaware is hardly the only at-large contender with a D-II on its schedule. Eastern Washington has one. Georgia Southern has one. As for some of the potential 8-3 teams that don't have D-IIs on their schedules, that would include teams like Colgate and Eastern Illinois--teams that clearly would not have resumes to match Delaware's, even with one more D-I win.

So, we know that you said eight-win teams--and now we're asking you who those eight-win teams would be. All we're saying is that there would have to be eight of them to fill out the at-large field.

Ok, I understand. I think the CAA gets three or at most four teams in the playoffs.

The Hens are not in contention with all of FCS. They're in contention for the available CAA slots.

So if we're going to drop to 7 win teams. Please tell me why New Hampshire and Villanova would not get the additional CAA bids over Delaware since they would have beat the Hens head to head.

Pretty good playoff year for the CAA----UMass, Richmond, JMU and three seven win teams UNH, Villanova and Delaware.

And yes, I think Colgate and Eastern Illinois with eight DI wins would have an argument for getting in ahead of Delaware.

As for me, I could care less if they get in or not. xlolx

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Two back to back losses to end the season and only 7 legit wins wouldn't be a great resume. But they'd probably still get in unless Nova blows the chicken's doors off. Also why not just let Nova get the at large if they beat UD since then they would both be 7 win teams but Nova would own the head to head?

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Ok, I understand. I think the CAA gets three or at most four teams in the playoffs.

The Hens are not in contention with all of FCS. They're in contention for the available CAA slots.

So if we're going to drop to 7 win teams. Please tell me why New Hampshire and Villanova would not get the additional CAA bids over Delaware since they would have beat the Hens head to head.

Pretty good playoff year for the CAA----UMass, Richmond, JMU and three seven win teams UNH, Villanova and Delaware.

And yes, I think Colgate and Eastern Illinois with eight DI wins would have an argument for getting in ahead of Delaware.

UNH and Villanova would still each have four losses, and the committee is not going to take a four-loss team unless it absolutely has to. Even if Villanova owns the head-to-head, Delaware still would have only three losses and, overall, a better resume. I would be shocked to see UNH or 'Nova get in ahead of Delaware.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "available CAA slots." The committee's stated criteria is that it selects at-large teams regardless of conference. And even if the committee does abide by an unwritten rule limiting the number of teams per conference, we know that that cap must be at least five, since four teams from a conference have gotten into the playoffs at least twice before.

As for your belief that Colgate and EIU would have a case for getting in ahead of Delaware . . . I don't know what to tell you there. You're putting an awful lot of weight into the 7 D-I wins vs. 8 D-I wins at the expense of a whole lot of other criteria. I don't think it will come down to EIU vs. UD anyway; if EIU wins next week, I think they'll both be in. As for Colgate, well, I don't know what to tell you. Delaware has beaten Navy, JMU, and lost a multiple-overtime game to Richmond. What does Colgate have to compare to that? They'd have to have a lot more than just one more D-I win than Delaware to have a case for getting in over them, IMHO.

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM

So you do care.xeyebrowx

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Delaware has beaten Navy, JMU, and lost a multiple-overtime game to Richmond. What does Colgate have to compare to that?

The Ice Bowl.xsmiley_wix