PDA

View Full Version : Division II Playoff Pairings...

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM
2007 Selections
Nov. 11, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS--The NCAA Division II Football Committee announced today the field of 24 teams for the 2007 NCAA Division II Football Championship. (2007 Bracket) (http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/brackets/straight32_dyn/2007/DII)
Eight first-round games will be conducted on the campus of one of the competing institutions. In addition, two teams per region have earned first-round byes. The first-round winners will all advance to face a bye team in their region in the second round on the campus of one of the competing institutions. Second-round winners will meet in the quarterfinals at various campus sites. Quarterfinal winners will advance to play in the semifinals on the campus of one of the competing institutions. Six teams selected per region make up the field of 24 teams. The first-round dates, sites and pairings are:

November 17 at Ellensburg, Washington
Ashland University (8-1) vs. *Central Washington University (8-2)
November 17 at Grand Forks, North Dakota
Winona State University (10-1) vs. *University of North Dakota (9-1)
November 17 at Abilene, Texas
Mesa State College (10-1) vs. *Abilene Christian University (9-2)
November 17 at Canyon, Texas
Washburn University of Topeka (8-3) vs. *West Texas A&M University (11-0)
November 17 at Salisbury, North Carolina
Albany State University (Georgia) (8-2) vs. *Catawba College (10-1)
November 17 at Cleveland, Mississippi
Shaw University (8-3) vs. *Delta State University (9-1)
November 17 at New Haven, Connecticut
Bryant University (8-2) vs. *Southern Connecticut State University (8-3)
November 17 at West Chester, Pennsylvania
Indiana University of Pennsylvania (8-2) vs. *West Chester University of Pennsylvania (9-2)
*Denotes Host Institution

The following institutions earned first-round byes in each region and also will host a second-round game on November 24, 2007.
Northwest:
1. University of Nebraska at Omaha (10-0)
2. Grand Valley State University (10-0)
Southwest:
1. Chadron State College (11-0)
2. Northwest Missouri State University (9-1)
Southeast:
1. Valdosta State University (9-1)
2. University of North Alabama (9-1)
Northeast:
1. California University of Pennsylvania (11-0)
2. Shepherd University (9-1)

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/story/10466861

BDK@YSU
November 12th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Go Ashland U. Eagles! That's one hell of a trip from Ohio to Washington though...

andy7171
November 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
IUP vs West Chester should be a doozie!

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Ashland University (8-1) vs. *Central Washington University (8-2)
Winona State University (10-1) vs. *University of North Dakota (9-1)
Mesa State College (10-1) vs. *Abilene Christian University (9-2)
Washburn University of Topeka (8-3) vs. *West Texas A&M University (11-0)
Albany State University (Georgia) (8-2) vs. *Catawba College (10-1)
Bryant University (8-2) vs. *Southern Connecticut State University (8-3)
Indiana University of Pennsylvania (8-2) vs. *West Chester University of Pennsylvania (9-2)

The following institutions earned first-round byes in each region and also will host a second-round game on November 24, 2007.
Northwest:
1. University of Nebraska at Omaha (10-0)
2. Grand Valley State University (10-0)
Southwest:
1. Chadron State College (11-0)
2. Northwest Missouri State University (9-1)
Southeast:
1. Valdosta State University (9-1)
2. University of North Alabama (9-1)
Northeast:
1. California University of Pennsylvania (11-0)
2. Shepherd University (9-1)

Might as well pull for our future FCS brethren :)

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM

I think they could do quite well. They are in a very tough region along with Grand Valley and Nebraska-Omaha though.

Notice South Dakota did not make the playoffs after having five losses.

(2007 Bracket) (http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/brackets/straight32_dyn/2007/DII) (http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/brackets/straight32_dyn/2007/DII)

Kelly Green
November 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM

xthumbsupx

GO SIOUX

Marcus Garvey
November 12th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I actually got to see California on TV this Saturday. Fox Sports College-Atlantic was picking up FSN Pittsburgh's broadcast of their game against Shippensburg.

They looked very good, but like most PSAC teams, they're probably not deep enough to win it all.

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I actually got to see California on TV this Saturday. Fox Sports College-Atlantic was picking up FSN Pittsburgh's broadcast of their game against Shippensburg.

They looked very good, but like most PSAC teams, they're probably not deep enough to win it all.

Northeast teams are usually a bone to be chewed when they advance to the semi-finals. Not the same thing at all.

Marcus Garvey
November 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Northeast teams are usually a bone to be chewed when they advance to the semi-finals. Not the same thing at all.

What is the full alotment of scholarships that DII is allowed to give? I'm pretty sure that PSAC schools fall well short of that number, and the Northeast-10 give even less.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Go Mav's xthumbsupx

Got my second BS degree at Nebraska Omaha.

Franks Tanks
November 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM

CAL (PA) is very good they have something like 11 D-I transfers. There starting RB is a transfer from Purdue, One reciever is a transfer from West Virginia, and they have a few guys from MAC schools--Toldeo, Kent etc. Also a few transfers from FCS schools like Youngstown. Im not sure of the D and O-line can compete with some of the other D-II heavy weights, but there skill guys are as good as they come at that level.

NDSUFREAK
November 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM

naww, thats ok. :) :p

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM
What is the full alotment of scholarships that DII is allowed to give? I'm pretty sure that PSAC schools fall well short of that number, and the Northeast-10 give even less.

You are right on MG, the big conferences GLIAC, MIAA, LSC use 36. I think Bloomsburg last year was working with 8. RMAC allows 28 but nobody seems to have that many to work with. #1 seed in the Southwest Chadron State has 21. Most of the NSIC is in that category as well.

bisonmike
November 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I see the Sioux drew Winona State. I hope they enjoy their bye week.xsmiley_wix

Marcus Garvey
November 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
In general, I get the feeling that Division II is going through a long decline. It seems that most colleges want to go one of two ways:
1) Divsion I for all sports, particularly Men's Basketball

Marcus Garvey
November 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
In general, I get the feeling that Division II is going through a long decline. It seems that most colleges want to go one of two ways:
2) Abandon all "grants in aid" (or whatever the term is) and go D-III for all sports.

Not many colleges fit the profile of D-III. The overwhelming majority of them seem to be 2nd/3rd tier public institutions (Pittsburg St., IUP, Delta St., etc...). Small private colleges who wish to play football would rather be DIII. If said small private college doesn't have a football team, and it's enrollment is large enought (say over 3,500, just to throw a number out there), then Division I is a real possibility.

Note: I have no idea how I managed to post part of this twice... probably hit the old "enter" and backspace.

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
2) Abandon all "grants in aid" (or whatever the term is) and go D-III for all sports.

Not many colleges fit the profile of D-III. The overwhelming majority of them seem to be 2nd/3rd tier public institutions (Pittsburg St., IUP, Delta St., etc...). Small private colleges who wish to play football would rather be DIII. If said small private college doesn't have a football team, and it's enrollment is large enought (say over 3,500, just to throw a number out there), then Division I is a real possibility.

Note: I have no idea how I managed to post part of this twice... probably hit the old "enter" and backspace.

The schools in D-II that play football are trapped there with a few exceptions. Takes a lot more money to move up, and they don't want to move down. There is a lot of funding disparities in D-II because you go from practically no scholarships offered up to 36. No proposition to split D-II into two classifications has come close to being passed, but it is talked about every year.

JBB
November 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I saw the CA-PA game as well. They looked good. Im pulling for UNO. My favorite D2 team.

I dont watch D2 much any more but the title game is always on TV and its traditionally been a good game.

D2 is doing just fine. Its changing of course, but its fullfilling its role as the middle league.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Rooting for West Chester!

chrisattsu
November 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Garvey,

That does not seem to be the opinion of the those in the Lone Star Conference. Many of the players, coaches, and fans that I have talked to say that they love our conference because it competitive, promotes regional rivalries, reduces travel costs, and they actually have a possibility of winning a national championship in other sports.

Many of our teams go deep towards their national championship dreams in other sports. Tarleton is continually in the D2 playoffs for Basketball making the the Elite 8 and Final 4 in the last few years. Abilene Christian has one of the premiere Track and Field Programs in D2. They win the National Competition regularly. West Texas A&M competes in Volleyball and Women's Basketball.

None of these teams would be in that position if they moved up to a D1 conference. If Tarleton got through the Southland Conference, they would be the sacrificial lamb to a #1-seeded Texas, Florida, Ohio State program.
This theory applies to the other programs as well. Why spend more money to lose and get your name on a ticker than play your regional rivals and win games?

EDIT- Since my 9-2 Texans were snubbed from the playoffs this year, I am rooting for either of the LSC schools. As much as I dislike the arrogance of West Texas A&M, I hope they go all the way.

jstate83
November 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
November 17 at Cleveland, Mississippi

Maybe an old JSU QB can kick the OKRA's arse as coach of SHAW since JSU fugged up the game against OKRA back in September playing like idiot's.

Daryl Ashberry took them from 3-8 last year to 8-3 this year.

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
GO GOLDEN RAMS!!

Marcus Garvey
November 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Garvey,

That does not seem to be the opinion of the those in the Lone Star Conference. Many of the players, coaches, and fans that I have talked to say that they love our conference because it competitive, promotes regional rivalries, reduces travel costs, and they actually have a possibility of winning a national championship in other sports.

Many of our teams go deep towards their national championship dreams in other sports. Tarleton is continually in the D2 playoffs for Basketball making the the Elite 8 and Final 4 in the last few years. Abilene Christian has one of the premiere Track and Field Programs in D2. They win the National Competition regularly. West Texas A&M competes in Volleyball and Women's Basketball.

None of these teams would be in that position if they moved up to a D1 conference. If Tarleton got through the Southland Conference, they would be the sacrificial lamb to a #1-seeded Texas, Florida, Ohio State program.
This theory applies to the other programs as well. Why spend more money to lose and get your name on a ticker than play your regional rivals and win games?

EDIT- Since my 9-2 Texans were snubbed from the playoffs this year, I am rooting for either of the LSC schools. As much as I dislike the arrogance of West Texas A&M, I hope they go all the way.

Yeah, but that's one conference in a football crazed state. Overall, DII seems to be a largely forgotten group of schools. DIII gets more love, even though they produce fewer NFL draft picks. Many DII schools have minimal athletic departments. Some sports aren't even sponsored at the DII level. Ice hockey comes to mind. Others have few member schools participating, such as lacrosse and field hockey.

Cobblestone
November 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Best wishes to Bryant.

Kelly Green
November 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM
xthumbsupx

GO SIOUX

44 UND
02 WSU

Final

Next up for UND is Grand Valley State University (Defending National Champions) on the road.

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I do wish FCS would go to this style tourney with 24 teams and somehow get all the conferences to participate like IVY and SWAC and Pioneer and all the rest... that sure would be fun

OB55
November 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Updated D-II bracket after the first round completed, 16 teams left;

http://www.d2football.com/images/2007playoffbracket.gif

Kelly Green
November 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM
44 UND
02 WSU

Final

Next up for UND is Grand Valley State University (Defending National Champions) on the road.

14 UND
21 GVSU

Final

UND finishes the season 10-2.

OB55
November 26th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Updated playoff bracket after round 2;

http://www.d2football.com/images/2007playoffbracket.gif

Fresno St. Alum
November 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I can't believe UNO lost C.Washington and blew their chance to play at home vs GVSU. Somehow UNO was the 1 seed over GVSU even though they've won like 40 in a row.

OB, Chadron St. is still going strong.