PDA

View Full Version : TV or not TV....?

Hansel
November 7th, 2007, 06:31 PM
That is the question- apparently it is "not TV" to SDSU's AD as he is resisting attempts to put the NDSU-SDSU game on TV

footballer23
November 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Ya'd think he'd like some SDSU fans to see the game, which might be difficult with seemingly more NDSU fans purchasing tickets.

No_Skill
November 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Extremely shortsighted, in my opinion. xthumbsdownx xoopsx xmadx xbangx xsplatx xflamemadx xasswhipx xspankx xdohx :pumpuke: xshakingmadx xpissedx xanim_chaix xsmhx xnonono2x xeekx

Luckily...my tickets arrived in the mail today.

Drblankstare
November 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
that makes zero sense. what a great game to put on TV.

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
to not put a game on tv in hopes that it sells out is really sad... and pathetic... ndsu probably would sell out anyway!

Zoo
November 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
that makes zero sense. what a great game to put on TV.

I agree. Why not showcase what can be a great football game on television?

McNeese_beat
November 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I can understand that if the game might not sell out...but shouldn't this game sell out with or without TV?

spelunker64
November 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Who cares, I'll be there...

brownbear
November 8th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Anyone know how many tickets they've sold so far?

Drblankstare
November 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
It will be quite sad if this game doesnt sell out. Im not sure how many are sold but it looks like tickets are still available.

HensRock
November 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Would they have to move the game time to put it on TV?
It might not be just to "sell out the stadium". xtwocentsx

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Apparently Delaware opted not to put the Richmond game on TV - it would've meant moving the game from a 1PM start to 3:30, and they decided making it a de facto night game (sunset is something like 4:40 these days) wasn't worth the TV time.

Hansel
November 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Would they have to move the game time to put it on TV?
It might not be just to "sell out the stadium". xtwocentsx

to put it on Fox Sports North- yes FSN-N wanted SDSU to move the game back to 4 -SDSU declined because they play Montana in Hoops at 7

However the North Dakota NBC affiliate now wants to air the game not sure if they would request that game time be moved (I don't see a problem with pre-empting ND-Duke in FB ;)

URMite
November 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Apparently Delaware opted not to put the Richmond game on TV - it would've meant moving the game from a 1PM start to 3:30, and they decided making it a de facto night game (sunset is something like 4:40 these days) wasn't worth the TV time.

So thats what happened, I wondered why that was the only non-TV game among expected contenders in the CAA this year.

BTW all 4 of our home games have been at 3:30pm. The last one is at noon because of a home basketball game the same day.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
So thats what happened, I wondered why that was the only non-TV game among expected contenders in the CAA this year.

BTW all 4 of our home games have been at 3:30pm. The last one is at noon because of a home basketball game the same day.

It's also Hall of Fame Day for UD and I believe they have other events around the football game that they didn't want to move. As I'm going to the game, I like the decision - it's going to be cold on Saturday anyway (high of 47) so no sense playing half of the game after the sun goes down if you don't have to.

Hansel
November 8th, 2007, 06:32 PM
waiting for SDSU fans to chime in....

Zoo
November 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Yeah, we'd like to hear what you guys think about this as well.

I just wish they'd put this game on television so I can kick back and watch it.

Jacks02
November 8th, 2007, 07:59 PM

I think SDSU fans have chimed in on this several times accross several message boards. Most of us agree that it should be televised if possible but I'm not going to question the heads if they think its not in the best interest of the school.

Several reasons against it from what I've read/heard. Not guaranteeing the validity of the statements, just what I've heard.

-FSN wanted to change start time of the game which would have conflicted with the start time of SDSU's home game against Montana. This would have pissed off a ton of fans who will travel hundreds of mile across the state and have been planning (already bought tickets) for months for the chance to watch both games.

-FSN wanted SDSU to pay for the TV coverage. SDSU doesn't want to give the product away for free to begin with, let alone pay for it.

-SDSU football attendance has a stong history of dropping off alot late in the season (Cal Poly attendance of 6500 a couple weeks ago is an example) and by putting the game on TV there is a fear that alot of people would stay home to watch rather than go to game.

-SDSU has a pay for view webcast of all home football games which could also lose alot of potential viewers/revenue if the big rivalry game was broadcast on cable TV.

Of course, the opposite side is the big interest in the game and the large number of people that would be able to possibly see the Jacks for the first time on regional cable TV coverage. I do agree that the exposure would be good for the school and team, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that the benefits outweigh the negatives.