PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing Cornell AD on Ivy League scheduling and playoff participation

bonarae
January 17th, 2023, 04:43 PM
At least he does understand what some of us fans are desiring for...

https://omny.fm/shows/between-the-lines-1/cornell-director-of-athletics-physical-education-a

Noel goes on to voice his support for starting the FB season earlier, allowing teams to have bye weeks and making the conference champion eligible for the FCS Playoffs. “To be prepared for that first game knowing the opponent is going to have two games under their belt is really a tough challenge for Ivy schools…and I would love to see the Ivy champion go to the Playoffs.”

bulldog10jw
January 17th, 2023, 04:58 PM
The players, coaches, and fans all agree. I, personally, would be happy with an 11th game and an earlier start to the season. One thing at a time.

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2023, 05:15 PM
What prevents Cornell from scheduling games at Week 1? The Ivy League isn't kicking them out.

bulldog10jw
January 17th, 2023, 06:06 PM
What prevents Cornell from scheduling games at Week 1? The Ivy League isn't kicking them out.

If the Ivy League ever did kick someone out, Cornell or Penn would be the first to go.

caribbeanhen
January 17th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Baby steps

I like it especially the playoff talk

Go...gate
January 18th, 2023, 12:10 AM
IMO, he is correct.

NY Crusader 2010
January 18th, 2023, 06:27 AM
I think postseason participation is more likely than an 11th regular season game. But I'll believe any development when I see it.

caribbeanhen
January 18th, 2023, 09:40 AM
I think postseason participation is more likely than an 11th regular season game. But I'll believe any development when I see it.

did you lose a bet? The Idaho helmet....

NY Crusader 2010
January 18th, 2023, 06:30 PM
did you lose a bet? The Idaho helmet....

Nah...in remembrance of the U. of Idaho students who were murdered in November, as well as the Vandal community as a whole in the wake of said tragedy.

Laker
January 18th, 2023, 08:21 PM
If the Ivy League ever did kick someone out, Cornell or Penn would be the first to go.

As a Midwesterner I'm interested to hear why that would be.

bulldog10jw
January 18th, 2023, 10:12 PM
As a Midwesterner I'm interested to hear why that would be.

Penn - last in, first out.

Cornell - everyone is tired of having to travel to Ithaca. It's a long, boring, trip.

NY Crusader 2010
January 19th, 2023, 07:48 AM
I thought Brown was the 8th and final Ivy added in the 1950's?

One of my best friends from HS ran track at Princeton and I know they still call the Ivy League Championship meet "Heptagonals" or "Heps" for short. This nickname for the meet is a throwback to when the Ivy League had 7 schools.

caribbeanhen
January 19th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Nah...in remembrance of the U. of Idaho students who were murdered in November, as well as the Vandal community as a whole in the wake of said tragedy.

gotcha, the accused perp is a creep show but I think their is a crime thread somewhere

taper
January 19th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Cornell - everyone is tired of having to travel to Ithaca. It's a long, boring, trip.
That says a lot about east coast schools and their unwillingness to travel. I think Harvard is furthest away, at ~330 miles. That's nothing. UND to USD is about 380 miles and that's considered a local trip. The 4 Dakotas to the 2 Montanas is about 1000 and lots of people would like them to join up.

Go Green
January 19th, 2023, 08:48 AM

Presumably, Cornell's president is against it and would fire the AD if that happens.

The only public source that ever acknowledged an Ivy president as being in favor of changing the status quo was Buddy Teevens saying that then-President Kim was in favor of expanding the schedule and playoffs. Unfortunately, Kim is no longer at Dartmouth...

Now, if you're asking what's preventing a school from scheduling an extra game where the entire administration is on Board, there are probably ways to punish a school short of kicking them out of the league. For example, IIRC, the PL expressed its unhappiness with Fordham for unilaterally implementing scholarships by making them ineligible for the PL title for two years.

clenz
January 19th, 2023, 09:00 AM
That says a lot about east coast schools and their unwillingness to travel. I think Harvard is furthest away, at ~330 miles. That's nothing. UND to USD is about 380 miles and that's considered a local trip. The 4 Dakotas to the 2 Montanas is about 1000 and lots of people would like them to join up.
That was exactly my first thought as well when I read "it's a long, boring, trip"

I'm roughly 300 miles from Target Field and I would day trip to a Twins game and then home on the same day. I don't, if I go to a Twins game I make it a day or two trip because I love MSP. I'm ~250 from Milwaukee and I've definitely day-tripped a Brewers game.

Hell, where I live is between 250-350 miles to MSP, Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, KC, and Omaha/Lincoln. People day trip those things all the damn time for **** as simple as "I want something from Ikea".

The coasts really are entirely different worlds/countries than between the Appalachians and the Rockies.

ElCid
January 19th, 2023, 09:45 AM

Wow. Really? It is beautiful out there. Contrary to the urban locals of some of the other schools, or the congested travel, you have to go through some beautiful country to get there. Boring is in the eye of the beholder.

bulldog10jw
January 19th, 2023, 09:49 AM
I thought Brown was the 8th and final Ivy added in the 1950's?

One of my best friends from HS ran track at Princeton and I know they still call the Ivy League Championship meet "Heptagonals" or "Heps" for short. This nickname for the meet is a throwback to when the Ivy League had 7 schools.

Penn was still trying to play big time football in the early fifties. Everything I've read and heard from others was that Penn was given preference over Colgate solely because the Ivy League wanted that presence in Philadelphia to go along with Boston and New York.

Go Green
January 19th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Penn was still trying to play big time football in the early fifties. Everything I've read and heard from others was that Penn was given preference over Colgate solely because the Ivy League wanted that presence in Philadelphia to go along with Boston and New York.

Hard to argue with that.

I'd also venture that the Powers that Be in the day viewed Colgate as redundant to Cornell.

bulldog10jw
January 19th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Wow. Really? It is beautiful out there. Contrary to the urban locals of some of the other schools, or the congested travel, you have to go through some beautiful country to get there. Boring is in the eye of the beholder.

It is beautiful there. In September when the leaves are changing.

UAalum72
January 19th, 2023, 01:37 PM
I'd have thought it was their undergrad enrollment (12K at Penn, 15K at Cornell vs. 9.5K and under for the rest) plus Cornell's status as the NY land-grant college and its state-sponsored statutory colleges (Ag, Vet, et al.) and athletes studying Hotel Management making it too declasse for the rest of the Ivy.

ElCid
January 19th, 2023, 06:44 PM
I'd have thought it was their undergrad enrollment (12K at Penn, 15K at Cornell vs. 9.5K and under for the rest) plus Cornell's status as the NY land-grant college and its state-sponsored statutory colleges (Ag, Vet, et al.) and athletes studying Hotel Management making it too declasse for the rest of the Ivy.

This seems more likely than distance

ngineer
January 19th, 2023, 08:47 PM
Though not an IL person, from being close to several Ivy schools, Cornell has long been viewed askance. A large percentage of their athletes have supposedly been admitted through the more “lenient” standards of their agriculture school, which is part of the SUNY system. So they are not a pure private school. Supposedly, this more reflected in their wrestling, football and ice hockey teams. Meanwhile, Penn has also been looked down upon for ‘excessive’ laxness in their admission standards for some of their sports, as well. I know for sure that we have lost some football recruits to Penn, because Lehigh’s admissions said no. Perhaps some of the IL guys on the Board know of other issues, but I heard some Princeton people criticize Penn for not being “ up to snuff”, with the one exception being their Wharton School of Business.

FUBeAR
January 19th, 2023, 08:59 PM
Though not an IL person, from being close to several Ivy schools, Cornell has long been viewed askance. A large percentage of their athletes have supposedly been admitted through the more “lenient” standards of their agriculture school, which is part of the SUNY system. So they are not a pure private school. Supposedly, this more reflected in their wrestling, football and ice hockey teams. Meanwhile, Penn has also been looked down upon for ‘excessive’ laxness in their admission standards for some of their sports, as well. I know for sure that we have lost some football recruits to Penn, because Lehigh’s admissions said no. Perhaps some of the IL guys on the Board know of other issues, but I heard some Princeton people criticize Penn for not being “ up to snuff”, with the one exception being their Wharton School of Business.
Thought the Academic Index prevented these kinds of shenanigans. No?

bulldog10jw
January 19th, 2023, 09:15 PM

Theoretically

NY Crusader 2010
January 20th, 2023, 02:49 AM
While the Agricultural School and the Labor Relations schools at Cornell are indeed both SUNY, they are not by any means "easy" to get into, even for students at or near the top of their HS class. I believe the tuition is about 30-40% less though. I'm sure there are thousands of dreamers who think that this is the "cheat code" for getting into an Ivy school and try to apply every year to these programs.

I always thought the Hotel School was the so-called party school of Cornell, which is part of the private side, not SUNY.

I've always been a fan of Cornell. Easiest Ivy to get into (which is very relative) but during my time it had the rep of being the most academically rigorous and most difficult to graduate from.

Go Green
January 20th, 2023, 09:55 AM

When the AI was proposed in 1981, Penn took the full five years to implement its AI levels, whereas Dartmouth and Yale did so immediately.

That's a big reason why Penn won five straight titles in the 1980s, whereas former league powers Dartmouth and Yale had a string of losing years. I strongly suspect that Columbia also implemented its AI immediate as well, and resulted in "The Streak I."

That's also a big reason why Penn got a reputation for being lax on admissions. Took them almost a generation to shake that rep.

Ivytalk
January 20th, 2023, 03:00 PM
The players, coaches, and fans all agree. I, personally, would be happy with an 11th game and an earlier start to the season. One thing at a time.

Amen, bulldog!xthumbsupx

Now that the Ivies are starting to lose good players through the Portal (like Harvard’s WR Wimberly transferring to Delaware), the pressure for change will ratchet up.

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2023, 03:38 PM
Amen, bulldog!xthumbsupx

Now that the Ivies are starting to lose good players through the Portal (like Harvard’s WR Wimberly transferring to Delaware), the pressure for change will ratchet up.

Wimberly is impressive! Hope he’s 100% healthy

Go...gate
January 21st, 2023, 12:53 AM

Cornell has been cited from time to time as a reason or example for the Patriot League adding William & Mary, as W & M possesses a comparable "state" affiliation. At Colgate, Cornell is periodically referred to as as "SUNY Ithaca".- - - Updated - - -

Pard4Life
January 22nd, 2023, 05:53 PM

Penn had always been associated with the Ivy group in some form through scheduling from the beginning. Lafayette was supposedly a candidate member of the Ivy but a nasty game against Penn - where our students charged the field and beat-up the team - nixed that. However we were are apart of the "Group of 3 association" Big 3: HYP, Middle 3: Lafayette-Lehigh-Rutgers, Little 3: Amherst-Williams-Wesleyan ... and look what Rutgers has become.

Ivytalk
January 23rd, 2023, 11:24 AM
... and look what Rutgers has become.

The newest rest stop on the NJ Turnpike.

Sader87
January 24th, 2023, 11:24 PM
I think the Ivies will go "11 game seasons" soon but I don't see the FCS playoffs anytime soon

Franks Tanks
January 26th, 2023, 12:58 PM
When the AI was proposed in 1981, Penn took the full five years to implement its AI levels, whereas Dartmouth and Yale did so immediately.

That's a big reason why Penn won five straight titles in the 1980s, whereas former league powers Dartmouth and Yale had a string of losing years. I strongly suspect that Columbia also implemented its AI immediate as well, and resulted in "The Streak I."

That's also a big reason why Penn got a reputation for being lax on admissions. Took them almost a generation to shake that rep.

That must explain how Tom Gilmore ended up at Penn

caribbeanhen
January 26th, 2023, 01:31 PM
The newest rest stop on the NJ Turnpike.

what exit?

NY Crusader 2010
January 26th, 2023, 03:20 PM

I know this was tongue in cheek (and also hilarious) but believe it or not TG may have been one of the smartest guys not just on the football team but in his class as a whole. He was a computer science major and actually had a job offer lined up to work on nuclear submarines coming out of undergrad. Obviously, he chose the coaching route instead.

Franks Tanks
January 27th, 2023, 09:53 AM
I know this was tongue in cheek (and also hilarious) but believe it or not TG may have been one of the smartest guys not just on the football team but in his class as a whole. He was a computer science major and actually had a job offer lined up to work on nuclear submarines coming out of undergrad. Obviously, he chose the coaching route instead.

For sure, I know his grades at Penn were outstanding, and far superior to mine!

Ivytalk
January 28th, 2023, 09:44 AM
what exit?

8 3/4 ;)

Go Green
January 30th, 2023, 09:05 AM

I didn't know about Gilmore's academic record, but I'm not surprised. Having played for him at Dartmouth, he did indeed come across as an intelligent guy (and yes, super-intense).

But the wisecrack was pretty typical of the fallout from Penn's decision not to implement the AI until the last minute. Penn had to put up with that sort of stuff for pretty much a generation--a lot of it coming from Princeton.

Penn and Needles - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com (https://vault.si.com/vault/1993/11/15/penn-and-needles-their-academics-belittled-the-quakers-came-up-big-against-princeton-in-the-ivy-leagues-showcase-game)

Southsider
February 2nd, 2023, 12:26 PM

Well, it didn't help them in the early 80's

1980 - LU 38 Penn 10
1981 - LU 58 - Penn 0

xcoffeex

bulldog10jw
February 3rd, 2023, 12:59 PM

Well, it didn't help them in the early 80's

1980 - LU 38 Penn 10
1981 - LU 58 - Penn 0

xcoffeex

They did pretty well the rest of the decade with those marginal (academically) players, including 5 straight years with at least a piece of the Ivy title.

Go Green
February 3rd, 2023, 02:11 PM
They did pretty well the rest of the decade with those marginal (academically) players, including 5 straight years with at least a piece of the Ivy title.

And given that the Ivy was still playing freshmen football in those days, the earliest that the "delayed-AI-implementation-guys" would have suited up for the Penn varsity was the 1982 season.

Incidentally, does anyone want to guess how Penn did against Lehigh in 1982?

:)

Son of Eli
February 3rd, 2023, 05:01 PM
And given that the Ivy was still playing freshmen football in those days, the earliest that the "delayed-AI-implementation-guys" would have suited up for the Penn varsity was the 1982 season.

Incidentally, does anyone want to guess how Penn did against Lehigh in 1982?

:)
Penn 20 Lehigh 17.