PDA

View Full Version : Should Portland State University merge with the Oregon Institute of Technology??

DawgNDuckfan
January 14th, 2023, 01:52 AM
I recall some Portland State Viking fans talking about this possibility a long time ago. I have never forgotten it because I always thought that it would benefit both Oregon Tech and Portland State University in that it would increase Oregon Tech's presence in Portland, and Portland State would be rebranded as well as being able to offer new majors. Oregon Tech's main campus is in Klamath Falls, but I would want to keep it, but have an expanded Portland presence. Would such a move free up some $$'s for Portland State for other projects like getting a new football stadium maybe???

FUBeAR
January 14th, 2023, 02:22 AM
Similar situation (maybe) seems to have worked out well for the owlets over the past decade.

https://www.usg.edu/news/release/kennesaw_state_and_southern_polytechnic_will_conso lidate

NDB
January 14th, 2023, 09:28 AM
?

What would you call it?

What would happen to the administrators?

Portland State is not a tech school. OIT is not an urban research university.

They serve different purposes to different populations. The differences are so extreme that I struggle to see how they 'merge'.

Then you get to administrators. None of them want to lose their jobs and/or power. PSU is so much bigger, more powerful that OIT that folks in Klamath Falls would likely be weakened. Also, tell me how many times administrators are going to travel from Portland to Klamath Falls. I'd start with zero.

This is also doesn't address community. The student bodies in Portland and Klamath Falls are distant geographically and unique.

Finally, what are you going to call it?

Portland State is fair, established brand. No way folks in Klamath Falls are going to allow Portland anything in the name of their organization.

Are you trying to create a mini-system with Oregon X- Portland, Oregon X-Klamath Falls. PSU is not a tech school, far from it. Names matter.

I think this also goes into the whole urban rural divide/divisiveness in Oregon. How would this not be perceived (perhaps incorrectly) that this is Portland "taking over". --Going extreme/ridiculous. It would only be a matter of time before the rampant drug use and homeless are exported to Klamath Falls. Going full crazy. This is just a ploy to bus drug addicts and homosexuals (or whomever) to rural Oregon!!!

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2023, 08:57 AM
?
What would you call it?

Portland Tech

Fordham
January 15th, 2023, 11:20 AM
Sure

DawgNDuckfan
January 15th, 2023, 03:56 PM
?

What would you call it?

What would happen to the administrators?

Portland State is not a tech school. OIT is not an urban research university.

They serve different purposes to different populations. The differences are so extreme that I struggle to see how they 'merge'.

Then you get to administrators. None of them want to lose their jobs and/or power. PSU is so much bigger, more powerful that OIT that folks in Klamath Falls would likely be weakened. Also, tell me how many times administrators are going to travel from Portland to Klamath Falls. I'd start with zero.

This is also doesn't address community. The student bodies in Portland and Klamath Falls are distant geographically and unique.

Finally, what are you going to call it?

Portland State is fair, established brand. No way folks in Klamath Falls are going to allow Portland anything in the name of their organization.

Are you trying to create a mini-system with Oregon X- Portland, Oregon X-Klamath Falls. PSU is not a tech school, far from it. Names matter.

I think this also goes into the whole urban rural divide/divisiveness in Oregon. How would this not be perceived (perhaps incorrectly) that this is Portland "taking over". --Going extreme/ridiculous. It would only be a matter of time before the rampant drug use and homeless are exported to Klamath Falls. Going full crazy. This is just a ploy to bus drug addicts and homosexuals (or whomever) to rural Oregon!!!

Oregon Tech-Portland
Oregon Tech-Klamath Falls

Portland campus keeps its president, but the BOR is integrated into Oregon Tech's BOR

JALMOND
January 16th, 2023, 09:01 PM
Some of the crazy things Duck fans come up with when talking about Portland State. xsmhx

NDB
January 18th, 2023, 10:15 AM
Oregon Tech-Portland
Oregon Tech-Klamath Falls

Portland campus keeps its president, but the BOR is integrated into Oregon Tech's BOR

But Portland State is not a tech school, ever has been, never will be. Ridiculous to think it would be called one

wapiti
January 19th, 2023, 09:58 AM
Maybe Oregon should merge with Oregon State??

Call it the University of Oregon State University Beavucks.

UNHWildcat18
January 19th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Maybe Oregon should merge with Oregon State??

Call it the University of Oregon State University Platypus.

FIFY

mmiller_34
January 19th, 2023, 06:48 PM
No

Friday I'm in Love
January 20th, 2023, 03:54 PM
Very goofy thread. Strange.

mmiller_34
January 20th, 2023, 08:06 PM
Very goofy thread. Strange.

Yes.

BisonFan02