PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Megathread: 2023 Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

nodak651
November 20th, 2023, 11:28 AM
ESPN's Pete Thamel via X: "Sources: Tulane is targeting Northern Iowa athletic director David Harris to be the school's next athletic director. Expect something to be formalized in the upcoming days." https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1726638603869249764?s=20

SDFS
November 20th, 2023, 03:47 PM
ESPN's Pete Thamel via X: "Sources: Tulane is targeting Northern Iowa athletic director David Harris to be the school's next athletic director. Expect something to be formalized in the upcoming days." https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1726638603869249764?s=20

Interesting, is this the guy on PatherNation that gets all the heat?

The Yo Show
November 20th, 2023, 04:18 PM
So... I just wanted to post in the MVFC thread... it's crazy that literally 6 teams, half the Missouri valley made the fcs playoffs.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2023, 04:53 PM
ESPN's Pete Thamel via X: "Sources: Tulane is targeting Northern Iowa athletic director David Harris to be the school's next athletic director. Expect something to be formalized in the upcoming days." https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1726638603869249764?s=20Weren't they gonna burn this guy at the stake in Cedar Falls??

clenz
November 20th, 2023, 05:35 PM
Yes. You have no idea the celebrations UNI fans, alumni, and donors have had today.

We’ve dealt with a loss of Ls lately - literally and figuratively as a department- and things have been as fine as ever in CF. This was an instant mood lifter and hope giver than maybe better days are ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Yes. You have no idea the celebrations UNI fans, alumni, and donors have had today.

We’ve dealt with a loss of Ls lately - literally and figuratively as a department- and things have been as fine as ever in CF. This was an instant mood lifter and hope giver than maybe better days are ahead.

I was going to say...I'm pretty sure there's a lot of UNI fans who are celebrating right now.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2023, 08:33 PM
So... I just wanted to post in the MVFC thread... it's crazy that literally 6 teams, half the Missouri valley made the fcs playoffs.
This is the first time the MVFC has had 6 playoff teams but in 2014 and 2015 they had 5 teams make the playoffs when the league was only 10 teams.

2014 especially was a ridiculously impressive season as I believe the conference only had 2 or 3 losses in the entire season to OOC FCS foes. Of the 5 MVFC that made the playoffs that season 3 of them were knocked out by other MVFC teams and NDSU beat Illinois St in the national title game so the conference went 7-1 in the 2014 playoffs vs non-MVFC teams.

atthewbon
November 20th, 2023, 10:14 PM
This is the first time the MVFC has had 6 playoff teams but in 2014 and 2015 they had 5 teams make the playoffs when the league was only 10 teams.

2014 especially was a ridiculously impressive season as I believe the conference only had 2 or 3 losses in the entire season to OOC FCS foes. Of the 5 MVFC that made the playoffs that season 3 of them were knocked out by other MVFC teams and NDSU beat Illinois St in the national title game so the conference went 7-1 in the 2014 playoffs vs non-MVFC teams.

I think the MVFC had 6 in 2021.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2023, 10:23 PM
I think the MVFC had 6 in 2021.
Good call - they did and that was with only 11 teams so more than half of the conference made the playoff field.

clenz
November 21st, 2023, 09:01 AM
I was going to say...I'm pretty sure there's a lot of UNI fans who are celebrating right now.
The celebration on Twitter and PN yesterday was pretty nuts.

Who knows what the BOR will force on us, maybe it will be David v2, but at least for a short time we can dream of a better future.

atthewbon
November 21st, 2023, 09:10 AM
When the MVFC had 6 in 2021, the non XDSU MVFC teams didn't fare to well. The conference as a whole went 8-5, but SDSU and NDSU combined to go 7-1 and the rest of the conference went 1-4 (though 2 losses were to other MVFC teams). It will be interesting to see if the non XDSU MVFC teams fare better this year.

The only other time I can remember a conference getting 6 teams in the playoffs was the CAA, where they went a combined 3-6 in the 2018 playoffs.

SDFS
November 21st, 2023, 09:54 AM
The celebration on Twitter and PN yesterday was pretty nuts.

Who knows what the BOR will force on us, maybe it will be David v2, but at least for a short time we can dream of a better future.

So, is his big failure on facilities or coaching hires or lack of hiring new coaches? Is the AD an opening for Farely?

clenz
November 21st, 2023, 10:21 AM
So, is his big failure on facilities or coaching hires or lack of hiring new coaches? Is the AD an opening for Farely?
Oh man, his failures are all over.

Our coaches are the only reason we are where we are today. They've all been here 15+ years and are the winningest coaches in Valley history in all of their sports - damn near.

His issues are entirely fundraising, and facilities based. He introduced a 5 year plan to renovate every athletic facility, build practice facilities, double ticket sales and donations, etc.

That was 7 years ago. There hasn't been a single shovel in the ground for any of the projects and only about 15% of the total money from that announcement has been raised.

In-fact what has happened is our historic wrestling facility was literally condemned and our wrestling team is actually homeless and practicing in a warehouse off campus that a booster is letting them use.

The basketball/volleyball practice facility has been scrapped completely from the plans given to the BOR for approval.

The dome project has had it's proposed budget cut.

Soccer had to use GoFundMe to build locker rooms. Not a joke, actual go fund me.

Softball was going to move back to campus rather than sharing a municipal field with Cedar Falls high school...instead they moved batting cages into an abandoned building on campus so they have a place to hit and throw during the winter/spring.

Our attendance and ticket sales are cratering. Donations to the scholarship club have stalled. Corporate sponsorships don't exist anymore. Fan interest, even from the most dedicated, is apathetic at best. When adjusted for inflation we are spending less than we did when he took over. Hell, not adjusted for inflation I think our budget is actually smaller. We've gone from the largest football budget in the Valley in 2010 to above average in 2016 when David took over to now the smallest budget outside of WIU - who is leaving.

There was a great analogy I saw on Twitter over the weekend where football players go on visit to any of our conference rivals and see practice facilities, team rooms, big locker rooms, training facilities, etc. and then they come here to a soviet era concrete bunker where our players come in hoping that a football alumni donor refilled the protein power tub and jerky jar. Basketball recruits go elsewhere and see practice facilities, lounges, arenas getting upgrades all the time. They come here and we share the rec center gym with university PE classes and an arena that is unchanged since it opened in 2006. Wrestling recruits literally don't have anywhere to actually visit at this point.

The issues are obviously deeper than just David Harrs. However, it was clear that he had no idea how to do anything to counter act what was happening. He had no ability to engage fans or donors. To get things done on the fundraising and capital side of things. I'd say he was great on the administrative side of things, but that would be ignoring the fact that in 2022 an internal audit from the BOR massively dinged the AD for failure to do any sort of documentation, failure to properly prepare and report budgets, failure to do any sort of checks, etc.

ADs in 2023, especially at a place like UNI need to be fundraisers not administrators and David wants to be an administrator.

Farley would have a lot of support for the job, if he wanted to take it. He's done the interim thing twice here. If anyone can get donors and fans excited to give and promote a vision, it would be him. He may well end up interim again given we are now in the off-season and he's done it twice already. He has 2 years left on his contract and the ability to become AD and make sure he gets to hire the next HC might entice him to step aside. We know that he has refused to even entertain the idea with David at AD because he didn't want to give him control to make the hire. I've heard rumors he would definitely entertain the idea. He is UNI. Between being a player and coach he has interacted with every single player on campus since 1975 through, at this point, 2029 if he retired today.

Beyond him there are 3 people the university has to make say no - they all likely do, but you have to make them say no

Justin Sell - went to SDSU from UNI because he didn't get the job when Dannen got it years ago.
Leon Costello - grew up in Iowa. Wifes family lives in CF, IIRC. Was at UNI until Dannen go the job and he wen with Sell to SDSU as deputy AD before taking the Montana State job
Nathan Christensen - went to SDSU from UNI after David was hired. Worked under David for a few years and saw the writing on the wall for who David is. EVen with that he had the Scholarship Club pulling in record levels of donations before he left. He is also from Iowa.

Then there is Buisman from Mankato was the runner up to David in 2016. What he's done in Mankato is simply amazing. He's a UNI alum and might want one more crack at the job and the challenge at his alma mater. However, he's 59 years old. Does he want to leave the amazing things he's worked to built at MSU to have to do a complete and total overhaul at UNI at that age? I'm not sure I would.

After that group no one has any idea. No one actually knows anything about ADs nationally, especially at the level we are at and would be able to pull from. Also, again, who knows what the BOR will force us to do. They forced Harris on us over Buisman in 2016. Everyone involved in 2106 wanted Buisman, but the BOR wanted a yes man that would do their bidding and just accept what the BOR wanted in terms of forcing UNI to take cuts.

SDFS
November 21st, 2023, 11:08 AM
When the MVFC had 6 in 2021, the non XDSU MVFC teams didn't fare to well. The conference as a whole went 8-5, but SDSU and NDSU combined to go 7-1 and the rest of the conference went 1-4 (though 2 losses were to other MVFC teams). It will be interesting to see if the non XDSU MVFC teams fare better this year.

The only other time I can remember a conference getting 6 teams in the playoffs was the CAA, where they went a combined 3-6 in the 2018 playoffs.

Well in the first round the MVFC Massey Predictions has three solid wins and a coin flip.

UND (10) 55% over Sac St. (12) 31-28
NDSU (3) 100% over Drake (94) 45-2
SIU (8) 90% over Nicholls (38) 31-14
YSU (13) 90% over Duquesne (65) 42-19

Other First Round Games

Austin Peavy (9) 69% over Chattanooga (35) 31-24
Delaware (18) 87% over Lafayette (31) 32-17
Mercer (32) 67% over Gardner Webb (41) 34-27
Richmond (26) 79% over NCC (52) 35-21

If you had seeds based on Massey Rating - you would have:

NDSU (3) 100% over Drake (94) 45-2
SIU (8) vs Duquesne (65)
Austin Peavy (9) vs NCC (52)
UND (10) vs Gardner Webb (41)
Sac St. (12) vs Nicholls (38) - Sac St. get a home game.
YSU (13) vs Chattanooga (35)
Delaware (18) vs Mercer (32) - Mercer goes on the road.
Richmond (26) vs Lafayette (31)

Not too bad, the Sac St. on the road is kind of bad because you had a flight either way. So, why not give them a home game and fly someone out to them.

SDFS
November 21st, 2023, 12:46 PM
Beyond him there are 3 people the university has to make say no - they all likely do, but you have to make them say no

Justin Sell - went to SDSU from UNI because he didn't get the job when Dannen got it years ago.
Leon Costello - grew up in Iowa. Wifes family lives in CF, IIRC. Was at UNI until Dannen go the job and he wen with Sell to SDSU as deputy AD before taking the Montana State job
Nathan Christensen - went to SDSU from UNI after David was hired. Worked under David for a few years and saw the writing on the wall for who David is. EVen with that he had the Scholarship Club pulling in record levels of donations before he left. He is also from Iowa.

Then there is Buisman from Mankato was the runner up to David in 2016. What he's done in Mankato is simply amazing. He's a UNI alum and might want one more crack at the job and the challenge at his alma mater. However, he's 59 years old. Does he want to leave the amazing things he's worked to built at MSU to have to do a complete and total overhaul at UNI at that age? I'm not sure I would.

After that group no one has any idea. No one actually knows anything about ADs nationally, especially at the level we are at and would be able to pull from. Also, again, who knows what the BOR will force us to do. They forced Harris on us over Buisman in 2016. Everyone involved in 2106 wanted Buisman, but the BOR wanted a yes man that would do their bidding and just accept what the BOR wanted in terms of forcing UNI to take cuts.

Kind of sounds like Farley, Christensen or Buisman are the obvious choices. I don't see Sell or Costello leaving current roles. They both have very nice gigs right now with plenty of support.

I knew the UNI had State politics playing against them, but it sounds like they have plenty of other local issues also. And it is really hard to recover from a hire that clears out your bench strength. It takes a really strong next hire and several years to rebuild. It is really too bad because UNI has always been a very solid brand. Do you think the local market is really untapped to create some dynamic facility growth? Or is it going to rely on alumni giving? I think the local market is what really spurred the growth in South Dakota for USD and SDSU with Sanford money priming the market and support.

I do think that Farley might be the right guy for the job. I am not sure if UNI has a tension between Basketball and Football that might make that a bad decision. Anyway, best of luck to UNI and it sounds like this is a critical decision.

nodak651
November 21st, 2023, 01:28 PM
Oh man, his failures are all over.

Our coaches are the only reason we are where we are today. They've all been here 15+ years and are the winningest coaches in Valley history in all of their sports - damn near.

His issues are entirely fundraising, and facilities based. He introduced a 5 year plan to renovate every athletic facility, build practice facilities, double ticket sales and donations, etc.

That was 7 years ago. There hasn't been a single shovel in the ground for any of the projects and only about 15% of the total money from that announcement has been raised.

In-fact what has happened is our historic wrestling facility was literally condemned and our wrestling team is actually homeless and practicing in a warehouse off campus that a booster is letting them use.

The basketball/volleyball practice facility has been scrapped completely from the plans given to the BOR for approval.

The dome project has had it's proposed budget cut.

Soccer had to use GoFundMe to build locker rooms. Not a joke, actual go fund me.

Softball was going to move back to campus rather than sharing a municipal field with Cedar Falls high school...instead they moved batting cages into an abandoned building on campus so they have a place to hit and throw during the winter/spring.

Our attendance and ticket sales are cratering. Donations to the scholarship club have stalled. Corporate sponsorships don't exist anymore. Fan interest, even from the most dedicated, is apathetic at best. When adjusted for inflation we are spending less than we did when he took over. Hell, not adjusted for inflation I think our budget is actually smaller. We've gone from the largest football budget in the Valley in 2010 to above average in 2016 when David took over to now the smallest budget outside of WIU - who is leaving.

There was a great analogy I saw on Twitter over the weekend where football players go on visit to any of our conference rivals and see practice facilities, team rooms, big locker rooms, training facilities, etc. and then they come here to a soviet era concrete bunker where our players come in hoping that a football alumni donor refilled the protein power tub and jerky jar. Basketball recruits go elsewhere and see practice facilities, lounges, arenas getting upgrades all the time. They come here and we share the rec center gym with university PE classes and an arena that is unchanged since it opened in 2006. Wrestling recruits literally don't have anywhere to actually visit at this point.

The issues are obviously deeper than just David Harrs. However, it was clear that he had no idea how to do anything to counter act what was happening. He had no ability to engage fans or donors. To get things done on the fundraising and capital side of things. I'd say he was great on the administrative side of things, but that would be ignoring the fact that in 2022 an internal audit from the BOR massively dinged the AD for failure to do any sort of documentation, failure to properly prepare and report budgets, failure to do any sort of checks, etc.

ADs in 2023, especially at a place like UNI need to be fundraisers not administrators and David wants to be an administrator.

Farley would have a lot of support for the job, if he wanted to take it. He's done the interim thing twice here. If anyone can get donors and fans excited to give and promote a vision, it would be him. He may well end up interim again given we are now in the off-season and he's done it twice already. He has 2 years left on his contract and the ability to become AD and make sure he gets to hire the next HC might entice him to step aside. We know that he has refused to even entertain the idea with David at AD because he didn't want to give him control to make the hire. I've heard rumors he would definitely entertain the idea. He is UNI. Between being a player and coach he has interacted with every single player on campus since 1975 through, at this point, 2029 if he retired today.

Appreciate the insight. Perhaps Josh Morton at Augustana could be an option?

Augustana would finish seventh in the LEARFIELD Director’s Cup standings for NCAA Division II while sweeping the NSIC All-Sports Award behind eight NSIC Championship teams. In the classroom, Augustana again shined with 13 Academic All-Americans and 245 academic all-NSIC honorees.

In addition to the current sport offerings in 2021-22, Augustana formally announced the addition of men’s ice hockey, which will compete at the NCAA Division I level, in October of 2021. Under Morton’s leadership, all three goals for the 2021-22 academic year were met by graduation weekend with the hiring of the program’s first-ever head coach, finalizing the plans for Midco Arena, the on-campus home of Viking hockey, and securing a conference invite.

Garrett Raboin was announced as the head coach of the program in April while ground broke on the arena just a few short weeks later. In May, the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) unanimously accepted Augustana as the league’s ninth member when the Vikings take the ice for the inaugural season in 2023-24.

Morton’s time in intercollegiate athletics before Augustana focused on fundraising. As an Assistant Athletic Director at Michigan State, he helped secure more than $23 million in major gift commitments. He also served as the primary fundraising liaison for Spartan track & field, cross country and swimming and diving. He served in his role during some of the most successful periods in Spartan Athletics history.

Before moving to East Lansing, he served as an Associate Athletics Director at North Dakota where he successfully worked with the designing, planning, and fundraising behind the UND High Performance Center. From 2009-12, he secured more than $22 million in annual, major and planned gifts for UND athletics.

Morton was a walk-on quarterback at UND and was part of North Central Conference Championship teams and three Division II National Semifinal teams. His father, Don, was a successful college football coach serving as the head coach at North Dakota State, Tulsa and Wisconsin. Morton was born in Sioux Falls while Don was an assistant coach at Augustana.

https://goaugie.com/staff-directory/josh-morton/1258

clenz
November 21st, 2023, 01:35 PM
Kind of sounds like Farley, Christensen or Buisman are the obvious choices. I don't see Sell or Costello leaving current roles. They both have very nice gigs right now with plenty of support.

I knew the UNI had State politics playing against them, but it sounds like they have plenty of other local issues also. And it is really hard to recover from a hire that clears out your bench strength. It takes a really strong next hire and several years to rebuild. It is really too bad because UNI has always been a very solid brand. Do you think the local market is really untapped to create some dynamic facility growth? Or is it going to rely on alumni giving? I think the local market is what really spurred the growth in South Dakota for USD and SDSU with Sanford money priming the market and support.

I do think that Farley might be the right guy for the job. I am not sure if UNI has a tension between Basketball and Football that might make that a bad decision. Anyway, best of luck to UNI and it sounds like this is a critical decision.
Sell and Costello likely don't leave. Costello has interviewed for larger jobs recently - he was a finalist at Nevada just last year. However, you have to make them say no.

There are some local issues, but none of them are overly challenging to an AD that has the ability to communicate and build bridges. ADs in 2023 need to be the face of the AD. They need to kiss babies, shake hands, be outgoing. David Harris had none of that. He was a fantastic administrator for the student services side of things, but had no ability to build connections to anyone it seems. The local market has a ton of potential, and within an hour of Cedar Falls are dozens of businesses with a hell of a lot of money to make it work. It's why UNI fans have long posted every singe facility upgrade from conference rivals, or even smaller/"poorer" schools and gone "Can't happen in Cedar Falls. If only we were the financial mecca like Brookings, Fargo, Terra Haute, Normal, Murray, Carbondale, Cokeville TN, Orno ME," etc. It's always been astonishing to us that every other similar sized university and market could make these things happen but were told CF/Waterloo was just impossible to make it work.

I'm not a "MUST HAVE UNI TIES" guy, but there are some unique challenges to UNI that someone with experience in Cedar Falls would understand and know how to navigate, especially relationship building. It's why Sell, Costello, and Buisma have to at least get a look I believe.

It's why the next AD hire has to hit for UNI to continue to exist, sadly I'm not sure I trust out BOR not to force another David Harris on us to continue the agenda of Iowa and Iowa State. We absolutely need someone with personality, drive, and the ability to sell a vision.

Cedar Falls is building a brand-new high school with facilities that rival most FCS programs just 533 yards away from the UNIDome and have received millions in donations from local businesses - businesses we have been told aren't in the business of donating money to athletic ventures. It includes an actual Olympic sized/spec swimming pool. The only one of those in the State of Iowa outside of Cedar Falls high exists at the University of Iowa.

Map of location - Cedar Falls High School - Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cedar+Falls+High+School/@42.5150966,-92.4698048,1466m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x87efffa78a78c0c9:0xd261e e35a4ffcc06!8m2!3d42.5153226!4d-92.4772265!16s%2Fg%2F11l2cwzy5j?hl=en&entry=ttu)

The Tiger Performance Center - The Tiger Performance Center Cedar Falls - Google Search (https://www.google.com/search?q=The+Tiger+Performance+Center+Cedar+Falls&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi74tnF8NOCAxU3JN4AHThKAgQQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=The+Tiger+Performance+Center+Cedar+Falls&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1AAWJkKYKsLaABwAHgAgAFmiAGxBpIBBDE xLjGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=lv9bZbu_H7fI-LYPuJSJIA&bih=1179&biw=2327)

There used to be tension between basketball and football. Jake and Farley hated each other because they were fighting for money and to be the #1 sport. They are now fairly close friends because the hate of David Harris brought them together. If the #1 goal is to just raise money, then Farley is 100% the right higher because every single penny that has been spent on the Dome or practice facility in the last decde has been 100% of his time, effort, and relationships. I know what kind of reputation he has to non-UNI fans but the guy is loved and adored by UNI fans, and especially donors. I think there is more to the job that neesd to be taken care of as well, which is why I'd like to see someone like Christensen come in who can do the fund raising and PR stuff, but has more experience with the day to day side and then Farley retires in 2 years after his contract is up and becomes the #1 on the fundraising side of things, while unofficially being that person until then.

Who knows what happens but for a breif moment we can have the tiniest bit of hope that the **** storm clouds we've been under for 8 years have a small opening in them to let some light in.

Redbird 4th & short
November 21st, 2023, 03:12 PM

The thing is, the argument against MVFC is always, you guys are no better than anyone else when you exclude NDSU. Which was never even true as verified by our playoff results excluding NDSU results being at a .650 win rate against all other conferences since 2010. Now it seems the argument is evolving into, you guys are no better when you exclude NDSU and SDSU.

But looking at our non-NDSU resumes and results in 2021:

8-3 SDSU went 3-1 unseeded .. Massey SOS #5. Beat #14 UCD by 32 at home, then beat #4 Sac St by 5 on road, then beat #4 Villanova by 14 on road, before losing to #8 Mont St by 14 on road. Grueling schedule and they still flourished. In reg season, SDSU lost to 3 MVFC playoff teams: SIU by 1, UNI by 9, USD by 3. SDSU also beat 3-9 Colorada St by 19 on road. This all speaks to strength of MVFC and why SDSU didn't get a seed, yet beat seeds 4 and 5 on road.

8-3 Missouri St went 0-1 ... Massey SOS # 7. So #14 MoST (8-3) lost to #13 UT Martin (9-2) by 1 at Home. UTM went on to play Mont St on road closer than #1 SHSU played at home. But MoST had a very strong resume .. losing to FBS #22 Oklahoma by 7 and FCS #1 by 7. Plus played and beat 3 of 4 playoff teams, in addition to Oklahoma showing. Very strong season, very strong FBS showing, and lost by 1 to #13 playoff team. No shame in that loss or season.

7-4 SIU went 1-1, both against MVFC .. Massey SOS #3. Beat #17 USD (7-4) by 10 on road, then lost to #1 NDSU by 31 on road. Noting SIU lost by just 8 to 8-5 Kansas St .. who played OK, OK ST, Baylor, Iowa ST, Texas all within 5 to 13 pts. In fact, SIU was up 23-21 at half before losing 31-23. And a lot of MVFC cannibalization in this bracket.

6-5 UNI went 0-1 .. as usual, very tough Massey SOS #2. PLayed 6 playoff teams going 3-3 .. 3 wins by 8, 3 losses by 11. Reg season wins against SDSU (Final 4) by 5, Sac St seed #4 by 18 .. both on road. In playoffs, lost to ranked #5 EWU (9-2) on road by 10. So 6-5 UNI got paired in playin game with 9-2 EWU, who should have been a top 8 seed. Noting UNI lost to Iowa St (7-6 against #7 SOS) by jusy 6 on road. Same Iowa St who lost to 11-2 Oklahoma by 7 on road, beat 12-2 Ok St by 3. Lost to 12-2 Baylot by 2. Lot to 10-2 Clemson by 7. Again, UNI was a 6-5 MVFC team going on road to play a 9-2 Big Sky .. lost by 10. But had more 1st downs (23 to 20) and more total yards (423 to 412). Quality Loss considering it was 6-5 vs 9-2 on road ? There is no doubt 6-5 UNI was legit bid and held their own in playoffs.

So the only MVFC team in question in 2021 was USD

7-4 USD went 0-1 .. lost to very tough SIU team. Massey SOS #9. Played 5 playoff teams, winning 2 of 5. Ignoring big loss to NDSU, in the other 4 games, 2 wins by avg of 8, 2 losses by avg of 10 .. one being to SIU in playoff. Plus this #6 MVFC team lost by 3 to 2-10 Kansas by 3 on road, and had more 1st downs and more total yards. So USD was 6th team in, yet had that resume.

Here's USD resume per Massey .. you can overlay the final polls into below Rank, if you don't like Massey. But USD played all 5 MVFC playoff teams tough except NDSU. All 5 have resumes per above that leave no doubt they belonged in playoffs .. and 2021 USD went 2-3. And they also put away all the teams ranked in lower half of schedule. How many "bubble" teams can say they played 5 playoff teams, beat 2, played 2 tough, played FBS tough, and put away all the weak teams on their schedule. One questionable loss to my Redbirds. I just don't think there are any bubble team that come close to that resume .. which to me proves they deserved the 6th bid from MVFC in 2021.

This 2023 MVFC group of 6 looks every bit as strong as 2021. Though I agee UCD got screwed .. not by MVFC but by NC Central and Richmond, and they got paired, at Richmond .. nice gig if you can get it. But take a hard look at 2023 Richmond below 2021 USD ... look at SOS, games against playoff teams, and margins against weaker teams. USD's 2021 resume is way better. Seriously look at 2023 Richmond .. didn't play anyone in CAA top 3, didn't play a single playoff team, barely beat #5 W&M who had 1 playoff game and lost, barely beat several bad teams. So NC Central and Richmond don't come close to 2021 USD in terms of earning a bid.

So the 1-4 excluding 3-1 SDSU and 4-0 NDSU is a little mislead. As you acknowledged, you have to remove MVFC head to head. So it is really 0-2 vs other conferences ... with one loss being 6-5 UNI at 9-2 EWU (#5) by just 10. And the other being 8-3 MoST lost to 9-2 UTM by 1 at home .. both ranked around 13/14. Hardly a bad showing for MVFC, excl NDSU and SDSU.

2021 USD 7-4 (against SOS #9) - sorted by Massey Opponent Rank

Date

Opponent
Rnk (Rec)
Result
PF
PA

Sat 11-20
at
N Dakota St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/5545)
1(14-1)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933800359)

Sat 11-13

S Dakota St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/7268)
3(11-4)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933800358)

Sat 10-16
at
Northern Iowa (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/5641)
8(6-6)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933800104)

Sat 11-27

S Illinois (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/7339)playoff
9(8-5)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=934504525)

Sat 09-25
at
Missouri St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/4970)
11(8-4)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933800356)

Sat 10-09

North Dakota (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/5538)
14(5-6)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933800076)

Sat 10-23

Illinois St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/3449)
28(4-7)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933799505)

Sat 10-02

Indiana St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/3509)
33(5-6)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933799522)

Sat 09-11

Northern Arizona (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/5620)
41(5-6)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933800101)

Sat 11-06
at
W Illinois (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/8754)
49(2-9)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933800357)

Sat 09-18
at
Cal Poly (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/1032)
79(2-9)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933770660)

Fri 09-03
at
Kansas (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/3717)
(2-10)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=933770566)

2023 Richmond 8-3 (against SOS #83) - zero games against playoff teams, best win against #33 Elon by 14, 2 weak losses < .500 teams, beat 0-10 Stony Brook by just 1.

Date

Opponent

Result
PF
PA

Sat 11-11

Elon (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/2447)
33(6-5)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938288482)

Sat 11-18
at
William & Mary (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/8934)
37(6-5)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938288604)

Sat 10-14
at
Rhode Island (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/6516)
40(6-5)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287991)

Sat 11-2502:00.PM.ET

NC Central (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/5505)playoff
52(9-2)
79 % (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=939666784)

Sat 10-28

Campbell (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/1186)
59(5-6)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938288235)

Sat 09-30

Hampton (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/3112)
76(5-6)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287787)

Sat 09-02

Morgan St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/5114)
78(4-6)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287301)

Sat 10-07

Maine (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/4319)
80(2-9)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287903)

Sat 10-21
at
NC A&T (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/5500)
95(1-10)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938288095)

Sat 09-23
at
Stony Brook (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/7642)
105(0-10)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287679)

Sat 09-16

Delaware St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/2118)
127(1-10)
W (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287551)

Sat 09-09
at
Michigan St (https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/4757)
(4-7)
L (https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=938287335)

SDFS
November 21st, 2023, 03:23 PM
Appreciate the insight. Perhaps XXXXXXXX

Please burn this post, because I want that guy back at UND.

clenz
November 21st, 2023, 03:52 PM
He certainly has my interest. I'll make sure to email the BOR and President Nook at UNI.:D

There is a lot to like in his bio.

Being at Augie he sems to have been one of the drivers with the D1 attempts. Getting that arena. Having to fight with USD and SDSU for donors and attention. The drive to be better and not just be "little brother". Certainly fits a lot of what he'd be fighting with at UNI......

nodak651
November 21st, 2023, 05:14 PM

He certainly has my interest. I'll make sure to email the BOR and President Nook at UNI.:D

There is a lot to like in his bio.

Being at Augie he sems to have been one of the drivers with the D1 attempts. Getting that arena. Having to fight with USD and SDSU for donors and attention. The drive to be better and not just be "little brother". Certainly fits a lot of what he'd be fighting with at UNI......

oops! Too late.. xdontknowx

Morton seems to carry himself well, though. And he, by all accounts so far, appears to have made a great coaching hiring for the hockey program, so he may have an eye for coaching talent as well.

@sdfs he can gain experience at UNI until UND hires him away xthumbsupx

nodak651
November 21st, 2023, 05:24 PM
Map of location - Cedar Falls High School - Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cedar+Falls+High+School/@42.5150966,-92.4698048,1466m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x87efffa78a78c0c9:0xd261e e35a4ffcc06!8m2!3d42.5153226!4d-92.4772265!16s%2Fg%2F11l2cwzy5j?hl=en&entry=ttu)

On second thought. I didn't realize you were so close to Young Arena. Morton would start a hockey program and move you to the Summit League before you know it! Would be bad a hire!

POD Knows
November 21st, 2023, 06:23 PM
On second thought. I didn't realize you were so close to Young Arena. Morton would start a hockey program and move you to the Summit League before you know it! Would be bad a hire!
NDSU can send Larson to UNI, we will take the Morton guy, move to FBS and launch a D1 hockey program. Probably a women's hockey program as well seeing as how that is a huge money maker.

SDFS
November 21st, 2023, 07:18 PM

And he would push for Summit League football too.. you are right he is a really bad fit for the school. It is really, really too bad. So, close.

SDFS
November 21st, 2023, 07:22 PM
NDSU can send Larson to UNI, we will take the Morton guy, move to FBS and launch a D1 hockey program. Probably a women's hockey program as well seeing as how that is a huge money maker.

To be real, NDSU should just start women's hockey. They would capture the entire NW MN market centered around Moorhead, MN.

clenz
November 21st, 2023, 07:31 PM

Young arena is all the way in Waterloo. It’s like 10 miles from the Dome.

Basically a complete non-starter

He’s best used getting out practice facility and wrestling facility built based on his history. We have plenty of room directly to the west of the McLeod. Use the parking lot for it and turn the grass into a parking lot for it.

Christiank22
November 21st, 2023, 08:41 PM
To be real, NDSU should just start women's hockey. They would capture the entire NW MN market centered around Moorhead, MN.

But then we would be plagued with having to watch college hockey… that’s a punishment in itself

neverobeyed
November 21st, 2023, 08:55 PM

There are. There definitely are.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2023, 08:51 AM
But then we would be plagued with having to watch college hockey… that’s a punishment in itselfDude, if NDSU had a competitive men's college hockey team I would be all over it. I even pretended to be a UND hockey fan back in the early 2000s but got tired of their hideous fan base and I got a weird rash every time i stepped close to that campus.

nodak651
November 22nd, 2023, 10:30 AM
Dude, if NDSU had a competitive men's college hockey team I would be all over it. I even pretended to be a UND hockey fan back in the early 2000s but got tired of their hideous fan base and I got a weird rash every time i stepped close to that campus.

NDSU starting hockey would probably be the worst thing that could happen to UND. I've always wondered what percentage of attendance/fans can be attributed to either NDSU FB fans and casual fans who drive up from Fargo. I'd guess 15% or 20% of the fan base could be attributed to people who went to NDSU or are primarily NDSU fans. Could likely be even higher than that.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2023, 11:02 AM
NDSU starting hockey would probably be the worst thing that could happen to UND. I've always wondered what percentage of attendance/fans can be attributed to either NDSU FB fans and casual fans who drive up from Fargo. I'd guess 15% or 20% of the fan base could be attributed to people who went to NDSU or are primarily NDSU fans. Could likely be even higher than that.
We are sort of drifting this thread but I lived in a town in north central ND that was full of UND hockey fans that were Bison football fans. It is real common to cross over to UND hockey. Lots of hockey fans in ND and who are you gonna support, the freaking gophers, screw that. I just quit watching college hockey but I would be on board with a real program at NDSU expect they would have to add women’s hockey to probably be in Title IX compliance and the deal would be a big money loser and the rink situation would be a problem. If you are gonna be good and offer scholarships, you need a decent sized rink that you can fill to generate revenue and sharing the rink out on 32nd ave is not an answer and it is too far from the campus.

nodak651
November 22nd, 2023, 11:46 AM
We are sort of drifting this thread but I lived in a town in north central ND that was full of UND hockey fans that were Bison football fans. It is real common to cross over to UND hockey. Lots of hockey fans in ND and who are you gonna support, the freaking gophers, screw that. I just quit watching college hockey but I would be on board with a real program at NDSU expect they would have to add women’s hockey to probably be in Title IX compliance and the deal would be a big money loser and the rink situation would be a problem. If you are gonna be good and offer scholarships, you need a decent sized rink that you can fill to generate revenue and sharing the rink out on 32nd ave is not an answer and it is too far from the campus.

Yeah, the best thing for NDSU would be to dump money into basketball. Given that NDSU uses the interests/abilities prong for title IX, starting a Womens program only could make sense. UND needs to support basketball better as well. Mentioning because it may be of interest to you - Minot State is playing exhibition games vs D1 CC and Denver at the end of December. Will be interesting to see how those games play out. Minot isn't D1 but they are an interesting program to follow.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2023, 01:16 PM
Yeah, the best thing for NDSU would be to dump money into basketball. Given that NDSU uses the interests/abilities prong for title IX, starting a Womens program only could make sense. UND needs to support basketball better as well. Mentioning because it may be of interest to you - Minot State is playing exhibition games vs D1 CC and Denver at the end of December. Will be interesting to see how those games play out. Minot isn't D1 but they are an interesting program to follow.
Minot State will get their asses handed to them, the University of Jamestown plays in the upper level of that ACHA deal and they beat Minot State this year. NDSU has a team that plays in the second division of the ACHA, never seen a game and they play in Moorhead, MN xlolx

clenz
November 22nd, 2023, 02:06 PM
To take the thread drift further with the same idea

The crossover between Nebraska football fans and Creighton basketball fans is insane. I know it's not exactly the same because Nebraska offers basketball and whatever, but Creighton basketball exists as it does because Nebraska basketball is horrible and everyone lives in Omaha so they all just adopted Creighton.

Similar thing with UND/NDSU hockey I'd bet.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2023, 02:22 PM
To take the thread drift further with the same idea

The crossover between Nebraska football fans and Creighton basketball fans is insane. I know it's not exactly the same because Nebraska offers basketball and whatever, but Creighton basketball exists as it does because Nebraska basketball is horrible and everyone lives in Omaha so they all just adopted Creighton.

Similar thing with UND/NDSU hockey I'd bet.I know actual alumni of NDSU that are UND hockey fans, and this goes back to the D2 days when the schools REALLY hated each other. I am not an alumni of NDSU but I can't imagine being a graduate and then supporting UND, but these types of fans are just along for the ride, which is probably the best way to approach any of this in the long haul.

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2023, 08:53 PM
Minot State will get their asses handed to them, the University of Jamestown plays in the upper level of that ACHA deal and they beat Minot State this year. NDSU has a team that plays in the second division of the ACHA, never seen a game and they play in Moorhead, MN xlolx

Forget NDSU adding D1 hockey....with "The U" aka THE University of Jamestown going to D2 and joining Mankato etc in the Northern Sun Conference....they should be the 2nd D1 hockey program in the state....they'd also be quicker to spend the dumb amounts of money needed to build a proper sheet of ice too.

nodak651
November 24th, 2023, 10:33 PM
Forget NDSU adding D1 hockey....with "The U" aka THE University of Jamestown going to D2 and joining Mankato etc in the Northern Sun Conference....they should be the 2nd D1 hockey program in the state....they'd also be quicker to spend the dumb amounts of money needed to build a proper sheet of ice too.

Dumb amounts of money... it's all relative. Prob more fiscally responsible to go D1 in one sport than all of them. Attendance probably wouldn't be much different than Summit league basketball. Would most likely be better.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2023, 12:30 AM
GO, DAWGS!!!

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2023, 01:16 AM
Dumb amounts of money... it's all relative. Prob more fiscally responsible to go D1 in one sport than all of them. Attendance probably wouldn't be much different than Summit league basketball. Would most likely be better.

I'm a UJ alum....we care about football about as much as UND does so there's that....school plays quite a bit more baseball than UND though...nicest bball arena for ND colleges...private so they can give the state the finger unlike all the publics...

That being said....never gonna happen. xlolx I'm morbidly curious how the D2 thingy is even gonna go.

Paladin1aa
November 25th, 2023, 07:21 AM
Looking for a Penguin win today !

Go Guins

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2023, 08:10 AM
Looking for a Penguin win today !

Go Guins

Doo Cans is bad very bad

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2023, 03:51 PM
The MVFC announced postseason awards and all-conference teams today: https://valley-football.org/documents/2023/11/26//2023_MVFC_All_Conference_Teams.pdf?id=4204

CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: QB Mark Gronowski, South Dakota State | 6-3, 225, Jr., Naperville, Ill. (Neuqua Valley High)
CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: RB Isaiah Davis, South Dakota State | 6-1, 220, Sr., Joplin, Mo. (Joplin High)
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: LB Brock Mogensen, South Dakota | 6-2, 235, Sr., Farmington, Minn. (Farmington High)
NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: RB Mason Blakemore, Illinois State | 6-1, 215, Jr., Centralia, Ill. (Centralia HS/Northern Illinois)
FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR: LB Tye Niekamp, Illinois State | 6-3, 230, R-Fr., Normal, Ill. (Normal Community High)
'BRUCE CRADDOCK' COACH OF THE YEAR: Bob Nielson, South Dakota

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53360929800_dec6f7609e_o.jpg

skinny_uncle
November 28th, 2023, 11:37 AM
If D wins titles, the Salukis are in good shape.

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2023, 12:09 PM
The MVFC announced postseason awards and all-conference teams today: https://valley-football.org/documents/2023/11/26//2023_MVFC_All_Conference_Teams.pdf?id=4204

CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: QB Mark Gronowski, South Dakota State | 6-3, 225, Jr., Naperville, Ill. (Neuqua Valley High)
CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: RB Isaiah Davis, South Dakota State | 6-1, 220, Sr., Joplin, Mo. (Joplin High)
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: LB Brock Mogensen, South Dakota | 6-2, 235, Sr., Farmington, Minn. (Farmington High)
NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: RB Mason Blakemore, Illinois State | 6-1, 215, Jr., Centralia, Ill. (Centralia HS/Northern Illinois)
FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR: LB Tye Niekamp, Illinois State | 6-3, 230, R-Fr., Normal, Ill. (Normal Community High)
'BRUCE CRADDOCK' COACH OF THE YEAR: Bob Nielson, South Dakota

It's gotta be pretty rare for two players from the same team to be co-offensive (or defensive) players of the year.

POD Knows
November 28th, 2023, 12:59 PM
I am calling it now, after this weekend there will be one MVFC team left in the playoffs and it will be the Jack's. BOOKIT

ysubigred
November 29th, 2023, 04:34 PM
I am calling it now, after this weekend there will be one MVFC team left in the playoffs and it will be the Jack's. BOOKITCrazy though I had was IF Mercer takes out the bunnies and YSU does the same to Nova, the flightless birds will get another home playoff game [emoji56]

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

POD Knows
November 29th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Crazy though I had was IF Mercer takes out the bunnies and YSU does the same to Nova, the flightless birds will get another home playoff game [emoji56]

Sent from my SM-G990U using TapatalkHonestly, that would be sweet as hell.

ysubigred
November 29th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Honestly, that would be sweet as hell.I know..

RahRahRabbits
November 30th, 2023, 09:14 AM
It's gotta be pretty rare for two players from the same team to be co-offensive (or defensive) players of the year.

First time in Valley history (1985) per the linked PDF. Tried looking into other conferences, but they clearly aren't run as well as Patty V's and keep that secret information buried deep!

Heck, it's only the 4th time in Valley history that there has been a tie in the big-3 awards at all from different teams. Three awards, 39 years, 117 chances. That's enough to agree with you, Mr. C. Batman.... pretty rare indeed.

Houndawg
December 1st, 2023, 06:52 AM
Crazy though I had was IF Mercer takes out the bunnies and YSU does the same to Nova, the flightless birds will get another home playoff game [emoji56]

xlmaox

if a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass hoppin'

ysubigred
December 1st, 2023, 07:11 AM
xlmaox

if a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass hoppin'I know..

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 3rd, 2024, 12:53 PM
Bison DT Eli Mostaert says he's returning for 6th season - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/bison-dt-eli-mostaert-says-hes-returning-next-season)

McFeely: Good news for Bison on Wisniewski and Zabel, but transfer bleeding won't stop entirely - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-good-news-for-bison-on-wisniewski-and-zabel-but-transfer-bleeding-wont-stop-entirely)

With what the Bison have coming back, they will certainly be a title contender next year.

SDFS
January 3rd, 2024, 04:43 PM
Bison DT Eli Mostaert says he's returning for 6th season - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/bison-dt-eli-mostaert-says-hes-returning-next-season)

McFeely: Good news for Bison on Wisniewski and Zabel, but transfer bleeding won't stop entirely - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-good-news-for-bison-on-wisniewski-and-zabel-but-transfer-bleeding-wont-stop-entirely)

With what the Bison have coming back, they will certainly be a title contender next year.

So, how does this work... the NIL group provides NDSU coaches with the money and they allocate it to the players. Or does the NIL work directly with players? And if the coaches are cut out of the process, does that setup future problems. Example, starting QB is injured with a large NIL deal. Backup comes in a does a better job. Think Jenson / Wentz from a couple years ago. How much of issue is presented when the coach sticks with the backup when the starter is healthy. Are the NIL contributors OK with there QB not playing?

nodak651
January 3rd, 2024, 07:05 PM
So, how does this work... the NIL group provides NDSU coaches with the money and they allocate it to the players. Or does the NIL work directly with players? And if the coaches are cut out of the process, does that setup future problems. Example, starting QB is injured with a large NIL deal. Backup comes in a does a better job. Think Jenson / Wentz from a couple years ago. How much of issue is presented when the coach sticks with the backup when the starter is healthy. Are the NIL contributors OK with there QB not playing?

I'm guessing that at NDSU they are on the same page as the coaches. At bigger schools with so much more nil money being thrown around, I'd guess that would maybe be more of an issue? Let's not kid ourselves though. Nobody in the collective business is following the rules. And what we are talking is legitimately pay-for-play money. Annoys me that "NIL" has come synonymous with that.

SDFS
January 9th, 2024, 07:42 PM
Well, things are getting interesting GF. It looks like UND OC is going to Brookings. Not sure if it is QB Co-OC or as OC.

Freund has had success as a play-caller against the Jackrabbits.

2021 Spring - UND beat SDSU in Grand Forks in the 2021 spring 28-17,
2021 then lost 24-21 in Brookings the next fall.
In 2022, UND lost to SDSU 49-35 at the Alerus Center in a game UND led 21-7 late in the second quarter.
In 2023, SDSU beat UND 41-21 and the 21 points were tied with Illinois State for the most scored in a single game against SDSU in 2023.

JacksFan40
January 9th, 2024, 10:57 PM
Well, things are getting interesting GF. It looks like UND OC is going to Brookings. Not sure if it is QB Co-OC or as OC.

Freund has had success as a play-caller against the Jackrabbits.

2021 Spring - UND beat SDSU in Grand Forks in the 2021 spring 28-17,
2021 then lost 24-21 in Brookings the next fall.
In 2022, UND lost to SDSU 49-35 at the Alerus Center in a game UND led 21-7 late in the second quarter.
In 2023, SDSU beat UND 41-21 and the 21 points were tied with Illinois State for the most scored in a single game against SDSU in 2023.

OL Coach Ryan Olson was promoted to OC, while Freund will be Co-OC and QBs coach. Judging by the UND board reaction I’m pretty optimistic about this hire.

POD Knows
January 10th, 2024, 08:30 AM
OL Coach Ryan Olson was promoted to OC, while Freund will be Co-OC and QBs coach. Judging by the UND board reaction I’m pretty optimistic about this hire.
He seemed to me like a shining star in their coaches room. This is a big loss for UND as I thought that he might end up being the next HC there.

SDFS
January 10th, 2024, 08:51 AM
He seemed to me like a shining star in their coaches room. This is a big loss for UND as I thought that he might end up being the next HC there.

Well, as with any change you have to see who replaces him to get a full picture. As of right now, I would say it is not looking good for UND. But, we will see who they bring in. I think the big reaction on the board is that they really don't have anyone waiting in the wings. I really the O-line coach he has done a really nice job. So, they might move him up. Not sure.

POD Knows
January 10th, 2024, 08:57 AM
Well, as with any change you have to see who replaces him to get a full picture. As of right now, I would say it is not looking good for UND. But, we will see who they bring in. I think the big reaction on the board is that they really don't have anyone waiting in the wings. I really the O-line coach he has done a really nice job. So, they might move him up. Not sure.
This seems like a slight demotion for Freund or am I reading this wrong. Also, how long is UND gonna hang onto Bubba and do they have anybody in their coaching ranks there to pick up the mantle

Bisonator
January 10th, 2024, 10:27 AM
I really thought Bubba would retire and they'd promote Freund to HC. Will be interesting to see what happens up there now.

SDFS
January 10th, 2024, 10:32 AM
This seems like a slight demotion for Freund or am I reading this wrong. Also, how long is UND gonna hang onto Bubba and do they have anybody in their coaching ranks there to pick up the mantle

From a title stand point it appears to be a demotion but who knows the full terms of the deal. It can be hard to tell from the outside. As far as Bubba goes, he is under contract through 2025. It was general assumed that Freund would be taking over at that time. Which is why there are so many questions with the fanbase right now. As far as, recent coaches that might be thought of coming back in:

1) Idaho OC - Luke Schleusner - not sure if he would interested in a lateral move without being promised HC in a couple of years.
2) St. Thomas QC coach OC - Jake Landry - previously on the staff, GF native and previously a starting QB for UND.
3) Internal would be the O Line coach. I really like what I have seen from him. He has recruited an NFL guy and a couple of other really good players. He has sorted out the line problems and they have improved every year despite losing players to the portal. Another one this year to Kansas St.

On the defensive side:

1) Eric Schmidt was just name DC Coordinator for SDSU - the other SDSU. But, I don't think that is realistic.

nodak651
January 11th, 2024, 09:35 AM
I really thought Bubba would retire and they'd promote Freund to HC. Will be interesting to see what happens up there now.
I think Freund might have thought this as well. When Bubba didn't do the right thing, which was to move on, Freund said c ya later.

Redbird 4th & short
January 11th, 2024, 12:25 PM
I am calling it now, after this weekend there will be one MVFC team left in the playoffs and it will be the Jack's. BOOKIT
I know this your thing ... but this didn't age well at all. And SIU should have beat Idaho .. so we got 3 into qtrs and it realistically could have been 4.

POD Knows
January 11th, 2024, 01:05 PM
I know this your thing ... but this didn't age well at all. And SIU should have beat Idaho .. so we got 3 into qtrs and it realistically could have been 4.
I dont know, it looked to me like it aged to almost perfection. 😁

Redbird 4th & short
January 11th, 2024, 03:58 PM
I dont know, it looked to me like it aged to almost perfection. 
I take your point !

xdrunkyx