PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Megathread: 2023 Edition

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

ST_Lawson
September 20th, 2023, 08:41 AM
I've been to 2 Bison games in Macomb and I've been to better HS stadiums and atmospheres.

Comparing each of their last home games, think Macomb High School had a better atmosphere than WIU, which is pretty sad because Macomb High isn't any sort of "powerhouse". They're decent, but most of the schools in the area are a lot smaller.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 26th, 2023, 07:25 PM
Bison Video Blog: South Dakota game preview - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-video-blog-south-dakota-game-preview)

The Bison shouldn't have too much trouble with USD. Their Achilles heel playing the Bison has always been defense. We'll see how they do.

Professor Chaos
September 28th, 2023, 12:05 PM
Might be relevant to anyone doing the MVFC pick 'em this week: https://www.wthitv.com/sports/sycamores-set-to-get-back-starting-qb-cade-chambers/article_ca78e146-5dab-11ee-9060-7f0fd0a825e5.html

The Indiana State football team received good news this week. Head coach Curt Mallory announced starting QB Cade Chambers is returning from his shoulder injury. Chambers will start in ISU's game Saturday at Murray State.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2023, 06:47 AM
Bison should roll USD for Homecoming

42-13

SDFS
September 30th, 2023, 01:49 PM
anyone watching the USD vs NDSU game. USD is moving the ball on offense. It looks like 14-3. Might be a game to watch.

JacksFan40
September 30th, 2023, 01:53 PM
anyone watching the USD vs NDSU game. USD is moving the ball on offense. It looks like 14-3. Might be a game to watch.
Yotes are manhandling the Bison. Bison are just playing undisciplined and sloppy. Countless missed tackles, stupid penalties, and just no fire.

crusader11
September 30th, 2023, 02:05 PM
Coyotes didn’t hear no bell.

Bison56
September 30th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Get ready for the QB run over and over.

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2023, 02:11 PM
Tyler Roehl is useless and Matt Entz, I mean meathead, should be fired 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

SDFS
September 30th, 2023, 02:20 PM
USD 21 NDSU 3 at the half. NDSU has been hurting themselves. But, USD has moved the ball.

crusader11
September 30th, 2023, 03:16 PM
Such a boring and unimaginative offense NDSU has.

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2023, 03:49 PM
Fire the "leadership" of NDSU. Absolute joke of a team. Entz, you have ruined this team and are the reason for our demise.

Christiank22
September 30th, 2023, 03:50 PM
If entz isn’t fired after this season then NDSU is done for. What a joke of a head coach

JSUSoutherner
September 30th, 2023, 03:52 PM
Imagine being 52-7, 12-2 in the postseason, and having two championships, and having people calling for your job.

You people are wild.

Christiank22
September 30th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Imagine being 52-7, 12-2 in the postseason, and having two championships, and having people calling for your job.

You people are wild.

He is legitimately the worst coach in the nation

crusader11
September 30th, 2023, 04:00 PM

You people are wild.

A lot of coaches could have stepped into that situation and done very, very well.

JSUSoutherner
September 30th, 2023, 04:01 PM
He is legitimately the worst coach in the nation

Rather, it sounds to me like he's coaching a team with the most entitled fanbase in the nation.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2023, 04:01 PM

You people are wild.

Sounds like Ara Parseghian at Notre Dame....

Christiank22
September 30th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Rather, it sounds to me like he's coaching a team with the most entitled fanbase in the nation.

He underperforms every year. We have the same mistakes and issues every year. He is a problem

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2023, 04:08 PM

You people are wild.That 19 championship wasn't on him, it was due to the fact that Lance was the best player in the nation for the FCS and covered up mass deficiencies and the MSU one helped that their starting QB hurt his ankle on the opening drive and they keyed on Rovig not getting the job done.

JSUSoutherner
September 30th, 2023, 04:13 PM
He underperforms every year. We have the same mistakes and issues every year. He is a problem
Allow me to play you guys a song on the world's smallest violin.

I'll bring the violin with me to Frisco this year. Because you guys are just going to go 9-2 and go right back there anyway.

"Underperform"... my ass.

Christiank22
September 30th, 2023, 04:18 PM
Allow me to play you guys a song on the world's smallest violin.

I'll bring the violin with me to Frisco this year. Because you guys are just going to go 9-2 and go right back there anyway.

"Underperform"... my ass.

This team will lose 3, likely 4 conference games. We may may miss the playoffs

JacksFan40
September 30th, 2023, 04:18 PM

You people are wild.
It’s like Ohio State fans with Ryan Day.

JSUSoutherner
September 30th, 2023, 04:21 PM
This team will lose 3, likely 4 conference games. We may may miss the playoffs
And y'all said the exact same **** last season. Thanks for proving my point.

Unhinged.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2023, 04:21 PM
Well Bison fans

Welcome to the FCS

Yote 53
September 30th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Well, I'll say it. The better team won. USD played big boy football with the Bison when it counted in the 4th quarter, running the ball down the field in a 7 minute drive to get the points that sealed the game. Then played defense that made NDSU earn every yard and burn precious clock.

ysubigred
September 30th, 2023, 05:55 PM
He is legitimately the worst coach in the nationWant to bet? Want to trade coaches [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

bonarae
September 30th, 2023, 06:06 PM
Can NDSU poach a coach from the Ivies for a change? xchinscratchx

POD Knows
September 30th, 2023, 06:47 PM
If your offense has a pulse and your defense has a pulse, you will be in every game against NDSU. I need to apologize to PWO, he had this team pegged better than I did, massive deficiencies on D, in all areas, vanilla offense and a pretty average O line. The Bison kick return teams today were absolutely putrid, stinky ****ing bad.

That being said, I think USD is gonna surprise some teams this year, they have a pretty decent front 7 and some nice skill guys on offense.

SDFS
September 30th, 2023, 07:08 PM
Well, I'll say it. The better team won. USD played big boy football with the Bison when it counted in the 4th quarter, running the ball down the field in a 7 minute drive to get the points that sealed the game. Then played defense that made NDSU earn every yard and burn precious clock.

Yotes looked good today.

Bison56
September 30th, 2023, 07:18 PM

They definitely looked good today. Didn't let up the whole game.

MSUBobcat
September 30th, 2023, 07:21 PM
xpopcornx I'm here for it. LFG. The rhetoric so far... chef's kiss. Worst coach in FCS is my fav, but it can be beat. Carry on.

SDFS
September 30th, 2023, 07:21 PM
They definitely looked good today. Didn't let up the whole game.

I agree they played very well and with a lot of confidence the entire game. The players came into the game expecting to win. They are going to be a problem in the Valley this year.

MSUBobcat
September 30th, 2023, 07:49 PM
Might as well strike while the iron's hot. Any NDSU fans looking to unload their Frisco tix?? xlolx

WestCoastAggie
September 30th, 2023, 07:53 PM
Might as well strike while the iron's hot. Any NDSU fans looking to unload their Frisco tix?? xlolx

I'm sure Jacks fans will buy those up rather quickly.

MSUBobcat
September 30th, 2023, 08:01 PM
I'm sure Jacks fans will buy those up rather quickly.

Offering direct buy. Why sell to a hated rival when they can go to me!

(Also, it was a joke, as evidenced by the laughing emoji)

Chalupa Batman
September 30th, 2023, 09:22 PM
Watching the Bison postgame presser, it hurts MY throat listening to Matt Entz talk.

JacksFan40
September 30th, 2023, 09:27 PM
Murray State having a better conference record then NDSU isn’t something I thought I’d be saying but here we are.

Chalupa Batman
September 30th, 2023, 09:32 PM
Murray State having a better conference record then NDSU isn’t something I thought I’d be saying but here we are.

xlolx

The Racers currently hold the record for all-time win % in Valley play too.

semobison
September 30th, 2023, 09:47 PM
It takes a few years but poor coaching can take down the best of programs!

ysubigred
September 30th, 2023, 09:50 PM
It takes a few years but poor coaching can take down the best of programs!Yea.. I feel your pain has been 23 years since YSU had good coaching..

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2023, 06:23 AM
Yea.. I feel your pain has been 23 years since YSU had good coaching..

The poor coaching was evident yesterday. All of a sudden this year, the offense looks over to the sidelines to see if there is a play change. No NDSU team has ever done this before. They waste time with this gimmick crap to only call a vanilla read option run.

The OC has transformed this offense from a very good power west coast offense that was under the center with a FB lead blocking on A gap power to this vanilla read option sh** that every other college team runs. The 2nd QB is the best option for this team if they are going to continue to run this crappy offense because at least he has the ability to run for a TD on any play. Let him throw the ball. This coaching staff, esp on offense, is horrible at play calling.

2 weeks to get rolling into conference play and they completely lay an egg. Totally on the coaches.

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2023, 08:05 AM

Yes, the better team won yesterday. USD exploited the big hole in the Bison defense that has been evident the last couple years, just like their Jack counterparts. I've always known the Yotes had a good coach. Congrats on the win, and hope you have a successful season.

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2023, 08:12 AM
If your offense has a pulse and your defense has a pulse, you will be in every game against NDSU. I need to apologize to PWO, he had this team pegged better than I did, massive deficiencies on D, in all areas, vanilla offense and a pretty average O line. The Bison kick return teams today were absolutely putrid, stinky ****ing bad.

That being said, I think USD is gonna surprise some teams this year, they have a pretty decent front 7 and some nice skill guys on offense.

Maybe that old Delaware fan with the walker who was cursing Entz for his punk move back in 2019 was right on the money

POD Knows
October 1st, 2023, 08:24 AM
Maybe that old Delaware fan with the walker who was cursing Entz for his punk move back in 2019 was right on the money
No. That type of cold blooded attitude is missing now. This team is soft.

JacksFan40
October 1st, 2023, 08:28 AM
Yes, the better team won yesterday. USD exploited the big hole in the Bison defense that has been evident the last couple years, just like their Jack counterparts. I've always known the Yotes had a good coach. Congrats on the win, and hope you have a successful season.
USDs new OC was an assistant at SDSU last year, so it makes sense why they mimicked what SDSU has done against NDSU. The blue print is out there for how to beat the Bison.

SDFS
October 2nd, 2023, 09:47 AM
After one week, here are my MVFC Rankings:

1) SDSU - Head and shoulder above the crowd.
2) USD - Solid win over NDSU - only loss was to Missouri. Not that the Tommies and Lamar wins are super impressive. But, the way that they played against NDSU on the road was impressive.

3) NDSU - Solid schedule, I think that they got caught flat footed against USD. They will respond.
4) SIU - FBS win over a 1-4 NIU, but close 1 pt win on road with SEMO and wins against Austin Peay and MSU. We will learn more about this team next @YSU.

Playoff Bubble Teams:

4) UND, UNI and YSU - they are going to need a win against one of the top 4 to get into the playoffs. Can they do it, I am not sure.

5) ISU-R - nice record I just haven't seen anything out of them yet - 1 pt loss on the road to EIU.

6) MSU - QB went down last week. It will be interesting to see which direction they go.

7) Murray St, ISU-B, and WIU

Hambone
October 3rd, 2023, 09:19 AM
After one week, here are my MVFC Rankings:

1) SDSU - Head and shoulder above the crowd.
2) USD - Solid win over NDSU - only loss was to Missouri. Not that the Tommies and Lamar wins are super impressive. But, the way that they played against NDSU on the road was impressive.

3) NDSU - Solid schedule, I think that they got caught flat footed against USD. They will respond.
4) SIU - FBS win over a 1-4 NIU, but close 1 pt win on road with SEMO and wins against Austin Peay and MSU. We will learn more about this team next @YSU.

Playoff Bubble Teams:

4) UND, UNI and YSU - they are going to need a win against one of the top 4 to get into the playoffs. Can they do it, I am not sure.

5) ISU-R - nice record I just haven't seen anything out of them yet - 1 pt loss on the road to EIU.

6) MSU - QB went down last week. It will be interesting to see which direction they go.

Can't say I disagree with this. USD looked good against the Bison.....

ST_Lawson
October 3rd, 2023, 09:54 AM
Slight adjustment:

7. Murray State
8. ISU-B
9. literal dumpster fire
10. three raccoons in a trench coat
11. a wet paper bag
12. WIU

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2023, 03:36 PM
Slight adjustment:

7. Murray State
8. ISU-B
9. literal dumpster fire
10. three raccoons in a trench coat
11. a wet paper bag
12. WIU

We have 4 TD passes this year...

3 have gone to the other team.

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2023, 03:57 PM
FCS just seems to be falling apart

I say that based on my perceived weakness of the Mid to lower FCS teams now, a lot more bad teams than good teams

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2023, 04:42 PM

We're averaging 27 rushing yards per game this year. Also, you guys at least won 2 games last year...one of which was a 21-0 beatdown of us.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 6th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Time for the Bison OL and defense as a whole (esp the LBs and DL) to step up tomorrow and play a complete game.

Put the foot on the pedal and keep it there. More Cole Payton also.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2023, 04:27 PM

The Salukis have 5 INTs so this should be up our alley.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2023, 04:45 PM
Time for the Bison OL and defense as a whole (esp the LBs and DL) to step up tomorrow and play a complete game.

Put the foot on the pedal and keep it there. More Cole Payton also.

Bison OL is soft. Put some younger guys in instead of being so loyal to mediocre upperclassmen. But maybe these mediocre OL are the best option....xrolleyesx

Should have bulldozed this weak Bear defense.

UND should attack the center of this Bison defense, where it is weak. Bison CBs are also mediocre at best. UND's play action passing will more than likely be successful.

NDSU's past top ranked defenses where very good on all 3 levels. This team has holes on every level of defense.

OLB #20 is not good at covering the slot WR and our SS #35 is not good. Kubitz is better than Weertz at MLB but both are mediocre at best. Pass rush needs to improve significantly is this team wants to go deep in the playoffs....if they make it there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 12th, 2023, 07:08 AM
Bison Video Blog: NDSU prepares for a loud trip to the Alerus Center - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports (https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-video-blog-ndsu-prepares-for-a-loud-trip-to-the-alerus-center)

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2023, 06:31 AM
WIU is coming in.

Note to Entz: Play younger guys today, especially on the OL and all over the defense.

I'll be watching this one on TV and I'm sure 95% of the plays will be in shotgun.....pathetic..... and looking over to the sidelines for a play adjustment...xrolleyesx

This offense and defense is not Bison football but that is the plan from this coaching staff. Read option and try to throw more and play a bend and keep bending defense until it breaks.

JacksFan40
October 21st, 2023, 06:24 PM
UND really building on that program defining win from last week, down 24-0 in the late 3rd to UNI.

Christiank22
October 21st, 2023, 07:29 PM
UND really building on that program defining win from last week, down 24-0 in the late 3rd to UNI.

Well when you spend an entire year focusing on one game you’re bound to have a let down

dewey
October 22nd, 2023, 08:10 AM
Well when you spend an entire year focusing on one game you’re bound to have a let down

That happened to SDSU for a few years in the mid 2010's when they would beat NDSU and then lose the next week. Luke you said when a team makes one game their super bowl they are bound to have a letdown game.

Dewey

Gil Dobie
October 22nd, 2023, 08:38 AM
Great to see some of the young Bison players yesterday.

Chalupa Batman
October 22nd, 2023, 09:16 AM
That happened to SDSU for a few years in the mid 2010's when they would beat NDSU and then lose the next week. Luke you said when a team makes one game their super bowl they are bound to have a letdown game.

Dewey

The Jacks only won 2 Marker games in the 2010’s and won their next game both times. They always seemed to have a letdown in the weeks leading up to the game.

SteelSD
October 22nd, 2023, 02:02 PM
The Jacks only won 2 Marker games in the 2010’s and won their next game both times. They always seemed to have a letdown in the weeks leading up to the game.
Stop, you’re letting facts mess up his narrative…

clenz
October 23rd, 2023, 10:14 AM
How was your son's football game though? What grade if you don't mind me asking.

Dewey
No one cares but I was looking for something else and came across this

Update

We went 6-0. League champs.

bonarae
October 23rd, 2023, 05:04 PM
Wishful USD fans ? Rumors are spreading...

https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2023/10/20/vermillion-usd-buzzing-over-potential-espn-college-gameday-stop/

clenz
October 23rd, 2023, 05:10 PM
No they aren't spreading.

The are going to Utah.

JacksFan40
October 28th, 2023, 01:04 PM
Coyote student threw a dead jackrabbit onto the field before coin toss, feels like the D2 days again.

SIUallDay
October 28th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Coyote student threw a dead jackrabbit onto the field before coin toss, feels like the D2 days again.
Looks like that rabbit woke up like Thriller and danced all over the Coyotes today lol.

TheKingpin28
October 28th, 2023, 04:43 PM
The refs really have no clue what targeting is. What is a player supposed to do when a defender is falling and the defender is already going low?

Just get rid of the rule completely or change it where their is two levels of targeting, intent and unintentional. Intent is ejection and unintentional is a warning, like a yellow card and a second one is an ejection.

Big Cats
October 28th, 2023, 05:32 PM
The refs really have no clue what targeting is. What is a player supposed to do when a defender is falling and the defender is already going low?

Just get rid of the rule completely or change it where their is two levels of targeting, intent and unintentional. Intent is ejection and unintentional is a warning, like a yellow card and a second one is an ejection.

I watched 4 games today in which targeting was called and there is just no consistency between officials about how or when to call it. The rule is so subjective that the players don't know what is a hard hit and what is "targeting." Get rid of the rule or revise it to make it less about one man's (or one official's) opinion.

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2023, 08:09 PM
Over/under on the number of tackles Isaiah Davis breaks next week: 17.5

POD Knows
October 28th, 2023, 09:46 PM
If the quality of play the Bison exhibited in the last half of Q2 until the end of the game this Saturday, SDSU is gonna drop 70 on them. The 2nd half particularly was physically painful to watch. Lost players to injury, a stupid targeting call (complete bull****) and just zero focus or effort. Some of the younger guys on D looked OK but WTF was the offense doing.

caribbeanhen
October 29th, 2023, 06:33 PM
Yesterday Zach Marker lit Towson up with an eye popping display of QB play

Was 35-0 early in second quarter

why do I mention? He’s from Iowa and transferred to Delaware from an Iowa JUCO, Clenz gave me some background on him earlier this year. He also took a cheap hit near the end of second qtr and is reportedly hurt… didn’t play second half

Not sure how he slipped through the cracks but this guy better be healthy

ysubigred
October 29th, 2023, 08:15 PM
I watched 4 games today in which targeting was called and there is just no consistency between officials about how or when to call it. The rule is so subjective that the players don't know what is a hard hit and what is "targeting." Get rid of the rule or revise it to make it less about one man's (or one official's) opinion.I posted this in another thread..

WTF is targeting?!?!

I watched three weeks in a row two for YSU and one against YSU. The two for YSU, the opponent lowered their head crown of the helmet and nearly tore the head off the YSU player. Not targeting...

Today, a lame face mask makes contact with the shoulder of the MO player. The YSU player ejected..

A bull**** rule and way too objective call..

POD Knows
October 29th, 2023, 08:46 PM
I posted this in another thread..

WTF is targeting?!?!

I watched three weeks in a row two for YSU and one against YSU. The two for YSU, the opponent lowered their head crown of the helmet and nearly tore the head off the YSU player. Not targeting...

Today, a lame face mask makes contact with the shoulder of the MO player. The YSU player ejected..

A bull**** rule and way too objective call..

Go check out the two targeting penalties they called against NDSU. one I was upheld and one overruled. Both were bull****.

ysubigred
October 29th, 2023, 09:53 PM
Go check out the two targeting penalties they called against NDSU. one I was upheld and one overruled. Both were bull****.Damn.. I seen ole coach Primes' son got ejected for targeting.. Wonder if the NCAA said it needed to be enforced more?

caribbeanhen
October 29th, 2023, 09:57 PM
Go check out the two targeting penalties they called against NDSU. one I was upheld and one overruled. Both were bull****.

several Delaware fans still think the Bison are a strong contender and you’re the lead sandbagged Pod, come clean!

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 08:32 AM
several Delaware fans still think the Bison are a strong contender and you’re the lead sandbagged Pod, come clean!
No sandbagging here, we got beat in our own building by a team that just lost to SDSU by over 30 in their own building. The gap is huge between SDSU and NDSU, and probably the entire division as a whole.

I stated back in another thread that this SDSU team might be the best FCS team in a generation. If they stay healthy, I don’t think anybody touches them going forward. NDSU is an above average team, probably top 15 but they are completely capable of losing all three of their final games and if they do, they do not belong in the playoffs

They are gonna get smoked this weekend unless they play a perfect game. Anything can happen I guess but seldom does.

JacksFan40
October 30th, 2023, 09:47 AM
No sandbagging here, we got beat in our own building by a team that just lost to SDSU by over 30 in their own building. The gap is huge between SDSU and NDSU, and probably the entire division as a whole.

I stated back in another thread that this SDSU team might be the best FCS team in a generation. If they stay healthy, I don’t think anybody touches them going forward. NDSU is an above average team, probably top 15 but they are completely capable of losing all three of their final games and if they do, they do not belong in the playoffs

They are gonna get smoked this weekend unless they play a perfect game. Anything can happen I guess but seldom does.
Still plenty of season left to be played, and anything can happen but assuming SDSU runs the table and goes 15-0, it will be interesting to see how they stack up against 2013 NDSU who tends to be seen as the best FCS team of all time, or at least in recent memory.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Still plenty of season left to be played, and anything can happen but assuming SDSU runs the table and goes 15-0, it will be interesting to see how they stack up against 2013 NDSU who tends to be seen as the best FCS team of all time, or at least in recent memory.
The 2019 Bison team, man for man, might have been better that the 2013 team. If SDSU continues to blow out rank teams and glides through the playoffs, I think it might be the best FCS team of all time. There does t appear to be any weaknesses anywhere.

geaux_sioux
October 30th, 2023, 11:06 AM
The 2019 Bison team, man for man, might have been better that the 2013 team. If SDSU continues to blow out rank teams and glides through the playoffs, I think it might be the best FCS team of all time. There does t appear to be any weaknesses anywhere.

That 2013 team had an uncommon type of grit though. I’d pick them over any NDSU team from the dynasty.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 11:23 AM
That 2013 team had an uncommon type of grit though. I’d pick them over any NDSU team from the dynasty.Yea, maybe, I think defensively they seemed more physical and "tougher" than 2019 but it would have been a good game. the 2019 team was better offensively than the 2013 team.

Houndawg
October 30th, 2023, 11:24 AM

Upset alert - Jacks are already in with a mortal lock on the first seed, the game is going to mean a lot more to NDSU than to the Jacks.

ST_Lawson
October 30th, 2023, 11:38 AM
Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum...WIU's game against SIU last weekend has cemented itself in our history book, tying for the 4th worst loss in our program's history (2nd worst since we went DI). For reference:
1. 72 points to Lombard in 1971
2. 69 points at Mizzou in 2011
3. 66 points against Western Kentucky in 1968
4t. 63 points at Quincy in 1920
4t. 63 points against SIU last Saturday

We are in the midst of the longest losing streak in school history (21 games) and currently hold the longest losing streak in DI (not quite the longest in the NCAA, there are a couple of D2s and a D3 with longer streaks). There's a chance we could break the streak in 11/11 against (also currently 0-8) Indiana State, although they took Top 25-ranked North Dakota to OT last Saturday, so I think the odds are not in our favor.

We are still currently dead last in the FCS in rushing offense (51.4 ypg) and sacks allowed (4.75/game), as well as scoring defense (48 points per game allowed), and sacks (0.62 per game).

It's to the point now where it's legitimately funny how bad we are. It feels like the Keystone Cops have taken the field masquerading as a mediocre D2 football team wearing what I would consider to be the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen on Hanson Field:

https://images.sidearmdev.com/resize?url=https%3a%2f%2fdxbhsrqyrr690.cloudfront. net%2fsidearm.nextgen.sites%2fgoleathernecks.com%2 fimages%2f2023%2f10%2f30%2f700.4906.143r.jpg&width=500&type=jpeg

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 11:43 AM
Upset alert - Jacks are already in with a mortal lock on the first seed, the game is going to mean a lot more to NDSU than to the Jacks.Oh, it absolutely means more to NDSU than it does SDSU but you have to have the horses to get it done and they don't. Also lost a starting DE, starting safety sits out the first half due to a targeting call and lost a CB (maybe) to a shoulder injury, this D is already undermanned. Go watch the last 37 minutes of the Murray State game and how they limped their home in that one.

Watched a replay of a local high school MN playoff football home game on Saturday, the local guys were up by 7 Td's and in MN they play run clock when the score is that bad. Twenty seconds left in the game, subs on the field, home team with the ball, they rush to the line of scrimmage, hand it off to a fullback (second or third string) and he goes 60 for a TD. That is how you finish, not the way NDSU finishes these games, I would bet that the mood, if the players were honest, was not good even after the W by the Bison. That **** can eat at you and create doubts.

ysubigred
October 30th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum...WIU's game against SIU last weekend has cemented itself in our history book, tying for the 4th worst loss in our program's history (2nd worst since we went DI). For reference:
1. 72 points to Lombard in 1971
2. 69 points at Mizzou in 2011
3. 66 points against Western Kentucky in 1968
4t. 63 points at Quincy in 1920
4t. 63 points against SIU last Saturday

We are in the midst of the longest losing streak in school history (21 games) and currently hold the longest losing streak in DI (not quite the longest in the NCAA, there are a couple of D2s and a D3 with longer streaks). There's a chance we could break the streak in 11/11 against (also currently 0-8) Indiana State, although they took Top 25-ranked North Dakota to OT last Saturday, so I think the odds are not in our favor.

We are still currently dead last in the FCS in rushing offense (51.4 ypg) and sacks allowed (4.75/game), as well as scoring defense (48 points per game allowed), and sacks (0.62 per game).

It's to the point now where it's legitimately funny how bad we are. It feels like the Keystone Cops have taken the field masquerading as a mediocre D2 football team wearing what I would consider to be the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen on Hanson Field:

https://images.sidearmdev.com/resize?url=https%3a%2f%2fdxbhsrqyrr690.cloudfront. net%2fsidearm.nextgen.sites%2fgoleathernecks.com%2 fimages%2f2023%2f10%2f30%2f700.4906.143r.jpg&width=500&type=jpegNeed a game against YSU... we've made you all look as good as the 2013 Bizon when played in Macomb. LOL

Christiank22

Lmao just no…. 2013 and 2019 NDSU would beat this sdsu team by 3-4 scores. The 2013 team finished top 20 in sagarin ratings. Is there a single NFL prospect on this SDSU team? Genuine question. Maybe their Rb goes undrafted?

geaux_sioux
Yea, maybe, I think defensively they seemed more physical and "tougher" than 2019 but it would have been a good game. the 2019 team was better offensively than the 2013 team.

Straight up that 2019 defense ain’t **** compared to 2013. At every level. Honestly, position for position 2013 is superior other then TE.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 11:55 AM
Straight up that 2019 defense ain’t **** compared to 2013. At every level. Honestly, position for position 2013 is superior other then TE.Running backs were better in 2013, you can argue over who was better, Jensen or Lance, the WR's were better in 2019 and the Oline was pretty good. The QB thing is interesting because Lance wasn't here that long and Jensen was more of a game manager type of QB but he was freaking clutch when it counted. xdontknowx

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 12:02 PM
Lmao just no…. 2013 and 2019 NDSU would beat this sdsu team by 3-4 scores. The 2013 team finished top 20 in sagarin ratings. Is there a single NFL prospect on this SDSU team? Genuine question. Maybe their Rb goes undrafted?Their TE is good, maybe an RB but that position is kind of a dying commodity, their freaking O line is solid but don't know individual by individual. Boch at LB can ball but gets hurt, people didn't think Rozeboom would make the NFL but he is playing pretty well there and Boch might be better. I do think those games with the SDSU team now and past Bison teams would be good. Also, the season is not over yet, if SDSU wins out and BLOWS out all of the playoff teams, then that is the time to make comparisons and I ****ing said that in my post. It was a "qualified" opinion.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 12:06 PM
Lmao just no…. 2013 and 2019 NDSU would beat this sdsu team by 3-4 scores. The 2013 team finished top 20 in sagarin ratings. Is there a single NFL prospect on this SDSU team? Genuine question. Maybe their Rb goes undrafted?
Another thing you need to look at here is SDSU is playing the toughest conference schedule, by far, over anybody else in the conference and, and, except for the SIU game, are destroying everyone else and that is going to continue.

Christiank22
October 30th, 2023, 12:06 PM
Their TE is good, maybe an RB but that position is kind of a dying commodity, their freaking O line is solid but don't know individual by individual. Boch at LB can ball but gets hurt, people didn't think Rozeboom would make the NFL but he is playing pretty well there and Boch might be better. I do think those games with the SDSU team now and past Bison teams would be good. Also, the season is not over yet, if SDSU wins out and BLOWS out all of the playoff teams, then that is the time to make comparisons and I ****ing said that in my post. It was a "qualified" opinion.

I just don’t think even if they do that, they deserve that credit due to the games they already played. Look at the scores for the 2013 team. Aside from the UNI game and a game against the defending Big12 champions there was nothing within 2 scores that entire season.

The playoff run went 38-7, 48-14, 52-14, 35-7

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 12:24 PM
I just don’t think even if they do that, they deserve that credit due to the games they already played. Look at the scores for the 2013 team. Aside from the UNI game and a game against the defending Big12 champions there was nothing within 2 scores that entire season.

The playoff run went 38-7, 48-14, 52-14, 35-7I said SDSU would have to blow teams out in the playoffs for being considered one of the best of all times. We will see. Be patient young grasshopper. There is still a lot of season left, **** can still happen. They have 7 games left to play to pound their chests. Didn't SDSU have 14 or 16 guys on pre-season all conference teams or some such ****. I know that probably doesn't mean that much but still.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2023, 12:44 PM

ok thanks

Ill tell em you think the Bison are #2

Chalupa Batman
October 30th, 2023, 12:49 PM

Lol no they wouldn't. In 2019 NDSU needed a last minute Cofield run to win by a TD over SDSU and the Jacks were down to their 3rd string QB in that game. This 2023 Jacks team would destroy that 2019 Jacks team.

Nobody was beating the 2013 Bison in the playoffs, but they did have a ridiculously easy run through that bracket. The only seeded team that team played was #7 Towson in the championship game. The Bison opponents in the playoffs that year had 4, 1, 3, & 2 FCS losses that season, SDSU's opponents last year had 4, 0, 0, & 1 (which was to SDSU) FCS losses. NDSU won their games by 131 total points, SDSU by 102. I think the 2013 Bison run was more impressive, but last years run by the Jacks isn't very far behind it.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 12:50 PM
ok thanks

Ill tell em you think the Bison are #2
Well, lets see, I got them at 16 in my poll now, when they get rolled by 30 at SDSU I will probably drop them to 22 or 23 and then when they lose to SIU they are out of my poll. #BOOKIT. Ah, ****, who am I kidding, there isn't enough karma left to right this ship. #BOOKIT

Christiank22
October 30th, 2023, 12:51 PM
I said SDSU would have to blow teams out in the playoffs for being considered one of the best of all times. We will see. Be patient young grasshopper. There is still a lot of season left, **** can still happen. They have 7 games left to play to pound their chests. Didn't SDSU have 14 or 16 guys on pre-season all conference teams or some such ****. I know that probably doesn't mean that much but still.

No I get that. I’m saying due to the close games against SIU and MSU I don’t think they can even be considered the same tier as that 2013 team. The only close games that season were Kansas State who is better than MSU this year and UNI who was undefeated at the time and beat an FBS opponent as well

Christiank22
October 30th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Lol no they wouldn't. In 2019 NDSU needed a last minute Cofield run to win by a TD over SDSU and the Jacks were down to their 3rd string QB in that game. This 2023 Jacks team would destroy that 2019 Jacks team.

Nobody was beating the 2013 Bison in the playoffs, but they did have a ridiculously easy run through that bracket. The only seeded team that team played was #7 Towson in the championship game. The Bison opponents in the playoffs that year had 4, 1, 3, & 2 FCS losses that season, SDSU's opponents last year had 4, 0, 0, & 1 (which was to SDSU) FCS losses. NDSU won their games by 131 total points, SDSU by 102. I think the 2013 Bison run was more impressive, but last years run by the Jacks isn't very far behind it.

Not sure what comparing the 2023 jacks to the 2019 jacks has anything to do with it lol

I guess by your own logic this SDSU team isn’t even that good. They needed some lucky bounces to beat an injured MSU squad at home

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Not sure what comparing the 2023 jacks to the 2019 jacks has anything to do with it lol

I guess by your own logic this SDSU team isn’t even that good. They needed some lucky bounces to beat an injured MSU squad at homeJFC, you said the 2019 team would beat the current SDSU team by 3 scores, the 2019 team barely beat the 2019 SDSU team which was light years worse than the 2023 SDSU teams. That comparison does matter.

Chalupa Batman
October 30th, 2023, 12:59 PM

I guess by your own logic this SDSU team isn’t even that good. They needed some lucky bounces to beat an injured MSU squad at home

I'm saying that in 2019 NDSU barely beat an SDSU team that isn't nearly as good as this years SDSU team. Which makes me disagree with your take that the 2019 NDSU team would beat this years SDSU team by 3-4 scores.

I'm not sure where in my post you get the argument that this years SDSU team isn't very good because that is definitely not the point I was making. It would for sure give the best NDSU teams from the last 12-13 years a good run for the money and beat a good number of them as well.

jacksfan29!
October 30th, 2023, 01:09 PM

Looks a lot like SDSU's 2022 playoff run. Always the emotional one, never the logical, right?

Christiank22
October 30th, 2023, 01:30 PM
Looks a lot like SDSU's 2022 playoff run. Always the emotional one, never the logical, right?

I mean sure if you count a 30+ difference in point differential as similar it’s pretty close

clenz
October 30th, 2023, 01:46 PM
This SDSU team and previous NDSU teams are very similar, but different.

This SDSU team's offense (from a UNI perspective) is much scarier to go against as far as a total offense. NDSU had amazing offenses but they were largely just set up beacuse the run game was impossible to stop. This SDSU offense is every level every position every play threats in a way I never saw NDSU as.

The Yo Show
October 30th, 2023, 02:57 PM

This SDSU team's offense (from a UNI perspective) is much scarier to go against as far as a total offense. NDSU had amazing offenses but they were largely just set up beacuse the run game was impossible to stop. This SDSU offense is every level every position every play threats in a way I never saw NDSU as.

1000000000% agree with this statement.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 03:15 PM

Yep. JMU had it figured out but they had the horses in the secondary that could play physical man to man and they would stack the box. NDSU had a problem offensively against them. Needed a miracle interception in 2021 to win and struggled in the two Nattys. Lost at home in 2016.

SteelSD
October 30th, 2023, 03:19 PM
You have to cut him some slack, still has brain damage from the rocks SDSU fans hit him with.

clenz
October 30th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Yep. JMU had it figured out but they had the horses in the secondary that could play physical man to man and they would stack the box. NDSU had a problem offensively against them. Needed a miracle interception in 2021 to win and struggled in the two Nattys. Lost at home in 2016.
It's the main reason UNI was able to play NDSU closer, in general, than anyone other than on a consistent basis outside of current SDSU. UNI's strength until about 2021 was run defense. Eventually NDSU just wore the front 7 for UNI down and it snowballed, but it took 3.5 or all 4 quarters from NDSU to make it out of hand.

This SDSU team is from the gun blitzkrieg on all fronts.

Similar results, different ways to get there.

Chalupa Batman
October 30th, 2023, 04:05 PM
It's the main reason UNI was able to play NDSU closer, in general, than anyone other than on a consistent basis outside of current SDSU. UNI's strength until about 2021 was run defense. Eventually NDSU just wore the front 7 for UNI down and it snowballed, but it took 3.5 or all 4 quarters from NDSU to make it out of hand.

Very rarely do you see an offense this diverse, I can't think of one thing they don't do at least adequately. They throw to their WR's, TE's, and RB's. They throw short, intermediate, and long. They throw to the boundaries and over the middle. They have two very good RB's to run the ball, plus the QB is a real solid runner himself. And all behind what is probably the best O line in FCS. Blitzkrieg is a very good description of what they do.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2023, 04:39 PM

Correct

JacksFan40
October 30th, 2023, 05:29 PM
2019 NDSU only beat 2019 SDSU by 7, and that was largely because our starting QB had a season ending injury. This SDSU team is significantly better than 2019 SDSU. This SDSU team also has the benefit of a few 6th year seniors, something neither 2013 or 2019 NDSU would’ve had.

As for NFL prospects to my knowledge would be Davis, Heins, McCormick, Gales, and Bock, each of them I imagine will end up in the NFL at least for an offseason. I can also see the Janke twins getting a tryout at least along with a few other players.

JacksFan40
October 30th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Very rarely do you see an offense this diverse, I can't think of one thing they don't do at least adequately. They throw to their WR's, TE's, and RB's. They throw short, intermediate, and long. They throw to the boundaries and over the middle. They have two very good RB's to run the ball, plus the QB is a real solid runner himself. And all behind what is probably the best O line in FCS. Blitzkrieg is a very good description of what they do.
The depth also helps immensely, which is something we didn’t have in past years despite having some outstanding skill position players over the years. Our backup QB is more athletic then Gronowski, our second and third RBs are each outstanding, our third WR is going to end up being better then the Jankes IMO, and we have great depth on the O-Line. Only area I see as a question mark is TE once you get past Heins and Morgan.

ST_Lawson
October 31st, 2023, 08:09 AM
Need a game against YSU... we've made you all look as good as the 2013 Bizon when played in Macomb. LOL

I don't think that would work this year. I know that transitive wins aren't a great predictor, but of our common opponents:
SIU - you guys won by 28, we lost by 63
ILSU - you guys won by 3, we lost by 16 (that was back before our team completely gave up)
MOSU - you guys won by 16, we lost by 41 at our own Homecoming

The Massey predictor says if you played in Macomb this year, you'd win 42-21...although I think the algorithm is overestimating our offensive capabilities a bit.

ysubigred
October 31st, 2023, 08:15 AM
I don't think that would work this year. I know that transitive wins aren't a great predictor, but of our common opponents:
SIU - you guys won by 28, we lost by 63
ILSU - you guys won by 3, we lost by 16 (that was back before our team completely gave up)
MOSU - you guys won by 16, we lost by 41 at our own Homecoming

The Massey predictor says if you played in Macomb this year, you'd win 42-21...although I think the algorithm is overestimating our offensive capabilities a bit.LOL or seeing our defense..

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2023, 09:49 AM
NDSU starting FS Sam Jung had his targeting call from last week rescinded meaning he can now play the first half against SDSU on Saturday: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-safety-jung-has-targeting-call-rescinded-heading-into-dakota-marker-game?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Now whether that's a good thing for NDSU or SDSU....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 4th, 2023, 07:25 AM
NDSU starting FS Sam Jung had his targeting call from last week rescinded meaning he can now play the first half against SDSU on Saturday: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-safety-jung-has-targeting-call-rescinded-heading-into-dakota-marker-game?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Now whether that's a good thing for NDSU or SDSU....

Jung is mediocre at best.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2023, 10:56 AM
Jung is mediocre at best.

Jung was the name of the notorious drug runner played by Johnny Depp in Blow ....

POD Knows
November 4th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Jung was the name of the notorious drug runner played by Johnny Depp in Blow ....And a psychologist, Carl Jung

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2023, 05:13 PM
Wow.... did Illinois St just get a gift from the replay official in Springfield.

SDFS
November 4th, 2023, 05:15 PM
Wow.... did Illinois St just get a gift from the replay official in Springfield.

No kidding that was crazy.. I don't think the receiver ever had control.

SDFS
November 4th, 2023, 05:18 PM
That game was absolutely handed to ISU. Patty better get press release ready on that - WOW.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2023, 05:19 PM
No kidding that was crazy.. I don't think the receiver ever had control.
I don't know the details of the college rule but in the NFL no way that's a catch (just ask Dez Bryant). I'm just amazed that they overturned the call on the field given how subjective that ruling was.

semobison
November 4th, 2023, 06:17 PM
Jung was the name of the notorious drug runner played by Johnny Depp in Blow ....

George….

mmiller_34
November 4th, 2023, 09:50 PM
Bizonville was quite the read. A few highlights:

1: “SDSU’s resources and facilities are not on par with NDSU’s — so it is shocking that SDSU is getting seemingly better athletes “

I would love to hear an argument on how DJD Stadium / SJAC don’t meet (or exceed) NDSU’s facilities. [emoji848]

2. “SDSU isn’t even a great an SDSU team which makes today’s loss that much more embarrassing.”

This is the greatest SDSU squad ever assembled.

3. “Fire Entz, Hire Vigen”

As if Vigen will ever leave Bozeman to come back to Fargo. Montana State as a program has some serious momentum right now. Perpetual sellout crowds of 20k+. Bobcat Stadium > Fargodome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2023, 10:05 PM

1: “SDSU’s resources and facilities are not on par with NDSU’s — so it is shocking that SDSU is getting seemingly better athletes “

I would love to hear an argument on how DJD Stadium / SJAC don’t meet (or exceed) NDSU’s facilities. [emoji848]

2. “SDSU isn’t even a great an SDSU team which makes today’s loss that much more embarrassing.”

As if Vigen will ever leave Bozeman to come back to Fargo. Montana State as a program has some serious momentum right now. Perpetual sellout crowds of 20k+. Bobcat Stadium > Fargodome

You don't want to read Bisonville most days... today especially. It's particularly peculiar today since the outcome was about what any sane person would've expected. SDSU is better than NDSU in every single phase, we all knew that coming into this game, and it was confirmed today.

There's been this odd dynamic in the Bison fan base over the past 5 years to be the first to say "It's over!". It's been said every year since 2016 and those who said it 2017-2019 or in 2021 faded away with very little to no crow served but those that said it in 2020 (spring 2021), last year, and this year are quick to point out "I called it!" It's easy to keep predicting the downfall of NDSU because sooner or later you're gonna be right and Bisonville is full of armchair analysts patting themselves on the back now for (finally) being right.

JacksFan40
November 4th, 2023, 10:17 PM

SDSU absolutely has better facilities now, it’s not 2008 anymore when SDSU was having film sessions in a U-Haul, we have facilities that most G5 schools would kill for. The FargoDome is becoming an outdated relic. DJD is much nicer.

As for Vigen, even though he is an NDSU alumni I don’t see him leaving Bozeman unless it’s for an FBS job. The Boise job could open up here in a year or so if they’re coach doesn’t turn things around, Vigen would most definitely be a top candidate for that job.

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2023, 06:19 AM
SDSU absolutely has better facilities now, it’s not 2008 anymore when SDSU was having film sessions in a U-Haul, we have facilities that most G5 schools would kill for. The FargoDome is becoming an outdated relic. DJD is much nicer.

As for Vigen, even though he is an NDSU alumni I don’t see him leaving Bozeman unless it’s for an FBS job. The Boise job could open up here in a year or so if they’re coach doesn’t turn things around, Vigen would most definitely be a top candidate for that job.

My feelings exactly.

Got some people stuck in the past for sure.

semobison
November 5th, 2023, 07:13 AM
You don't want to read Bisonville most days... today especially. It's particularly peculiar today since the outcome was about what any sane person would've expected. SDSU is better than NDSU in every single phase, we all knew that coming into this game, and it was confirmed today.

There's been this odd dynamic in the Bison fan base over the past 5 years to be the first to say "It's over!". It's been said every year since 2016 and those who said it 2017-2019 or in 2021 faded away with very little to no crow served but those that said it in 2020 (spring 2021), last year, and this year are quick to point out "I called it!" It's easy to keep predicting the downfall of NDSU because sooner or later you're gonna be right and Bisonville is full of armchair analysts patting themselves on the back now for (finally) being right.

If you keep throwing crap at the wall some will actually stick. Bville is full of low IQ football minds with their cute internet shticks!

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2023, 08:12 AM

The team dynamic was changing after Kleiman left. Stupid stuff was happening on the field, like fake punts with a comfortable lead. More penalties are stopping drives. IMO, NDSU still has great athletes, they are not developed as well, and we have a lot of recent players leaving thru the portal.
The next man up isn't as ready as in prior years.

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2023, 08:36 AM
The team dynamic was changing after Kleiman left. Stupid stuff was happening on the field, like fake punts with a comfortable lead. More penalties are stopping drives. IMO, NDSU still has great athletes, they are not developed as well, and we have a lot of recent players leaving thru the portal.
The next man up isn't as ready as in prior years.

I remember one of em

Christiank22
November 5th, 2023, 09:28 AM

I’m not gonna lie. Last years SDSU team seemed more dominant. I wouldn’t say the loss is embarrassing, the fact we scored was shocking lol we’re horrible. This NDSU squad isn’t good at anything, we will get beat even worse by SIU and UNI than what SDSU did to us because Entz is allergic to motivation. We straight up suck bro

The rest of this post is some weird insecurity for a guy whose team just won the game.

Christiank22
November 5th, 2023, 09:31 AM

Do they actually or is just bias? From pictures comparing the IPFs and training centers NDSU looks a significant tier above SDSUs.

No one. And I mean NO ONE acts like the Fargo Dome is nice. The fact you said “is becoming” makes me think you have no idea what you’re talking about lol

POD Knows
November 5th, 2023, 10:00 AM

I think your football stadium is better than the dome until the weather sucks, then give me the dome. The BB facilities are probably a push, we have pretty good softball and baseball fields, NDSU shares the field with the minor league team here and it is nice. I have been to both IPF at Brookings and Fargo and I think the Fargo facility is nicer but the one in Brookings is sweet. I got a tour of that facility and the football field shortly after they were completed by a local business man I know. The SDSU football field is the nicest field in the FCS but I would put the Montanas pretty close. I could not even imagine having an outdoor football field in Fargo, there would have been several playoff games that would have almost been unplayable in years past. The weather in Brookings is a lot better than Fargo, you know, that closer to the equator deal. xlolx

Christiank22
November 5th, 2023, 10:07 AM
I think your football stadium is better than the dome until the weather sucks, then give me the dome. The BB facilities are probably a push, we have pretty good softball and baseball fields, NDSU shares the field with the minor league team here and it is nice. I have been to both IPF at Brookings and Fargo and I think the Fargo facility is nicer but the one in Brookings is sweet. I got a tour of that facility and the football field shortly after they were completed by a local business man I know. The SDSU football field is the nicest field in the FCS but I would put the Montanas pretty close. I could not even imagine having an outdoor football field in Fargo, there would have been several playoff games that would have almost been unplayable in years past. The weather in Brookings is a lot better than Fargo, you know, that closer to the equator deal. xlolx

Oh god you commented on weather, here comes the “cold is cold”. Nothing makes an sdsu fan more butthurt than reminding them they live in the tropics

POD Knows
November 5th, 2023, 10:50 AM
Oh god you commented on weather, here comes the “cold is cold”. Nothing makes an sdsu fan more butthurt than reminding them they live in the tropicsBack when I was working and traveling a territory, I made sure I planned to stay in Brookings and Sioux Falls a lot in the winter in order to soak up the rays. Not kidding, it was like a vacation in the tropics. xdrunkyx

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2023, 11:03 AM

I guess I was more focused on football.

Agree with the baseball / softball / basketball facilities.

If we are talking about all programs — the SJAC in Brookings beats the NDSU IPF (track, stands, and golf facilities included) But, if we are talking just football, the NDSU IPF is probably better since it has a true 100 yard field vs SDSU’s 80 yard field. Both really good.

The weather keeps people away from playoff games. This is true. I’ve been more playoff games in Brookings than most and I love every minute of it; but those December games definitely only for the diehard fans. However, from August to early November weather is normally perfect for fall outdoor football. I guess I’d rather have an outdoor stadium that has the ability to expand vs being restricted by a dome.

Whatever happens in the future, if SDSU and NDSU ever go FBS, December home games will be a thing of the past and will be a non-factor.

Just some interesting things to think about.

POD Knows
November 5th, 2023, 11:12 AM
I guess I was more focused on football.

Agree with the baseball / softball / basketball facilities.

If we are talking about all programs — the SJAC in Brookings beats the NDSU IPF (track, stands, and golf facilities included) But, if we are talking just football, the NDSU IPF is probably better since it has a true 100 yard field vs SDSU’s 80 yard field. Both really good.

The weather keeps people away from playoff games. This is true. I’ve been more playoff games in Brookings than most and I love every minute of it; but those December games definitely only for the diehard fans. However, from August to early November weather is normally perfect for fall outdoor football. I guess I’d rather have an outdoor stadium that has the ability to expand vs being restricted by a dome.

Whatever happens in the future, if SDSU and NDSU ever go FBS, December home games will be a thing of the past and will be a non-factor.

Just some interesting things to think about.

I agree on the outdoor stadiums in nice weather and if NDSU keeps up this level of play, there won't be any more games in December to worry about. Walking into the dome when it is sunny and gorgeous outside is kind of depressing. I think that is why he have such a late arriving crowd.

The weather in Brookings in the winter is a lot nicer, you need to trust me on that one. The two most recent home playoff games against JMU would have been virtually unplayable outside, I almost ****ing died walking to the dome from about 4 blocks away and I am used to this ****.

mmiller_34
November 5th, 2023, 11:32 AM
I agree on the outdoor stadiums in nice weather and if NDSU keeps up this level of play, there won't be any more games in December to worry about. Walking into the dome when it is sunny and gorgeous outside is kind of depressing. I think that is why he have such a late arriving crowd.

The weather in Brookings in the winter is a lot nicer, you need to trust me on that one. The two most recent home playoff games against JMU would have been virtually unplayable outside, I almost ****ing died walking to the dome from about 4 blocks away and I am used to this ****.

No question. Never disagreed with you that BKX weather is nicer. Just restating our reality here at SDSU.

If FBS ever were to happen with NDSU and the latest home game possible was Nov 20-26th? Would an outdoor stadium ever be possible?

What would be the risk/rewards of doing this? Build a nice 25k stadium and fill it Aug-Oct, then the last couple games in November attendance drops off; maybe severely for a Thanksgiving week game? I think from a $$$ aspect it would be interesting to see what the possible outcomes would be for that.

POD Knows
November 5th, 2023, 12:36 PM
No question. Never disagreed with you that BKX weather is nicer. Just restating our reality here at SDSU.

If FBS ever were to happen with NDSU and the latest home game possible was Nov 20-26th? Would an outdoor stadium ever be possible?

What would be the risk/rewards of doing this? Build a nice 25k stadium and fill it Aug-Oct, then the last couple games in November attendance drops off; maybe severely for a Thanksgiving week game? I think from a $$$ aspect it would be interesting to see what the possible outcomes would be for that.

I think an FBS move with an outdoor stadium is possible. If the Bison make the playoffs and have a Thanksgiving home game, wait and see how ****ty that crowd will be. I doubt they get 9k through the doors. I can only remember a few times for regular season games that an outdoor game would be tough. We have gotten huge snows in October before but it doesn’t get that cold. This past Saturday would have been OK for a game. Highs in the 40’s.

RahRahRabbits
November 5th, 2023, 09:49 PM
I’m not gonna lie. Last years SDSU team seemed more dominant. I wouldn’t say the loss is embarrassing, the fact we scored was shocking lol we’re horrible. This NDSU squad isn’t good at anything, we will get beat even worse by SIU and UNI than what SDSU did to us because Entz is allergic to motivation. We straight up suck bro

It surprises me when people say last years' SDSU team was better or more dominant. Plenty of season left to be played this year, but last year featured a close win by 2 (albeit not super close game) to UC Davis in non-conference, a huge come from behind win in Fargo by 2 after being down 21-7, and large come-from-behind 3rd quarter to get past the F'in hawks by 2 scores eventually, and a field goal (or two...) as time expires in Cedar Falls to secure a victory there.

So far this season, the only game we were in serious doubt of losing was Montana State in a fairly sloppy early game which neither team was polished. SIU did play us tough this year, but the game really wasn't as close as the final score by 7 in my opinion.

I think SDSU's pretty dominant run through the 2022 playoffs, winning every game by 21+ points and dismantling of then-undefeated Bison in Frisco stay at the forefront of everyone's minds... but last years' Jackrabbit squad was far from world-beating dominators every game.

Bison fans have been extraordinarily spoiled the last decade+, and have extremely high expectations because of it. There are probably 120 FCS programs (and a whole bunch of FBS ones too) that would give anything they could to switch with you for your problems. While it's very clear this NDSU squad isn't the same as the height of the dynasty, it is still very much a good team. You still have a very talented roster, though I would agree with roughly 98% of FCS fans out there that are not impressed with the Entz administration.

Chalupa Batman
November 7th, 2023, 07:46 AM
It surprises me when people say last years' SDSU team was better or more dominant. Plenty of season left to be played this year, but last year featured a close win by 2 (albeit not super close game) to UC Davis in non-conference, a huge come from behind win in Fargo by 2 after being down 21-7, and large come-from-behind 3rd quarter to get past the F'in hawks by 2 scores eventually, and a field goal (or two...) as time expires in Cedar Falls to secure a victory there.

So far this season, the only game we were in serious doubt of losing was Montana State in a fairly sloppy early game which neither team was polished. SIU did play us tough this year, but the game really wasn't as close as the final score by 7 in my opinion.

I think SDSU's pretty dominant run through the 2022 playoffs, winning every game by 21+ points and dismantling of then-undefeated Bison in Frisco stay at the forefront of everyone's minds... but last years' Jackrabbit squad was far from world-beating dominators every game.

Bison fans have been extraordinarily spoiled the last decade+, and have extremely high expectations because of it. There are probably 120 FCS programs (and a whole bunch of FBS ones too) that would give anything they could to switch with you for your problems. While it's very clear this NDSU squad isn't the same as the height of the dynasty, it is still very much a good team. You still have a very talented roster, though I would agree with roughly 98% of FCS fans out there that are not impressed with the Entz administration.

I think the Montana State game in particular skewed just how good SDSU was last year. Clearly the best team but not dominant. Last year in Valley play SDSU went 8-0 and won their games by 18.5 ppg. That includes playing Indiana State & Western Illinois, who combined for 1 conference win (and only had that 1 win because they played each other). This year SDSU is outscoring conference opponents by 22.2 ppg, without playing any of the bottom 3 teams (Indiana State, Western Illinois, & Murray State). Northern Iowa & South Dakota are tied for 2nd in the conference with 1 loss apiece, SDSU handed them both that 1 loss by a combined 69 points (giggity). Jacks are far more dominant this year.

POD Knows
November 7th, 2023, 08:21 AM

Yes, we are reduced to moral victories now, pretty soon we will be indistinguishable from the fans of UND. 😀

TrooperCoats
November 8th, 2023, 06:24 AM
I can't tell if this is a nod for or against this year's SDSU team being more dominant, but the weather has really worked out for them this year so far. (I don't remember specific games from last year) The final scores would likely have been different if the NDSU or USD game was played at home during snowstorm a couple weeks ago or a couple of the 50 mph wind days recently. No one was complaining about the DakotaDome that day, LOL.
I think the stars are aligning for them on top of being the best team, TBH.

JacksFan40
November 8th, 2023, 08:53 AM
I can't tell if this is a nod for or against this year's SDSU team being more dominant, but the weather has really worked out for them this year so far. (I don't remember specific games from last year) The final scores would likely have been different if the NDSU or USD game was played at home during snowstorm a couple weeks ago or a couple of the 50 mph wind days recently. No one was complaining about the DakotaDome that day, LOL.
I think the stars are aligning for them on top of being the best team, TBH.
We played just fine in some pretty tough conditions in the semis last season against Montana State. I’m not overly worried about weather hurting us.

Christiank22
November 8th, 2023, 09:25 AM
Yes, we are reduced to moral victories now, pretty soon we will be indistinguishable from the fans of UND. [emoji3]

What moral victory? The fact we are one of the worst teams in the MVFC is a moral victory now? We are going to get our ass kicked by SIU this week and even worse next week against UNI. This team sucks

RahRahRabbits
November 8th, 2023, 09:47 AM
What moral victory? The fact we are one of the worst teams in the MVFC is a moral victory now? We are going to get our ass kicked by SIU this week and even worse next week against UNI. This team sucks

How do you get through life being such a constantly positive and optimistic person?? xlolx NDSU will be fine; not sure if you still claim them or not anymore. Outside of of the top 1 (maybe sorta 2... but not really), and bottom 3-4 in the Valley, the other 6-7 are all in the same range. I know that's blasphemy for a Bison fan to be included in that group.... but you couldn't honestly expect the nearly unbeatable dynasty to live on forever, could you? You're hardly one of the worst in the Valley... and I actually expect the Bison to win both of their next games, though I guess it's not a certainty. Guess what... it's also not a certainty that SDSU wins at Youngstown State or against Missouri State either.... Welcome to your new reality of not beating the pants off of every team for 10 straight years anymore. Some years will be better, some years will be worse. Some teams get to be unlucky enough to be crappy every single year with no real improvements. I can assure you, NDSU is not going to that level... even with Entz. That would just be silly to claim.

Can I buy you a lamp, or a flashlight? Maybe one of those would help you lighten up!

Christiank22
November 8th, 2023, 10:25 AM
How do you get through life being such a constantly positive and optimistic person?? xlolx NDSU will be fine; not sure if you still claim them or not anymore. Outside of of the top 1 (maybe sorta 2... but not really), and bottom 3-4 in the Valley, the other 6-7 are all in the same range. I know that's blasphemy for a Bison fan to be included in that group.... but you couldn't honestly expect the nearly unbeatable dynasty to live on forever, could you? You're hardly one of the worst in the Valley... and I actually expect the Bison to win both of their next games, though I guess it's not a certainty. Guess what... it's also not a certainty that SDSU wins at Youngstown State or against Missouri State either.... Welcome to your new reality of not beating the pants off of every team for 10 straight years anymore. Some years will be better, some years will be worse. Some teams get to be unlucky enough to be crappy every single year with no real improvements. I can assure you, NDSU is not going to that level... even with Entz. That would just be silly to claim.

Can I buy you a lamp, or a flashlight? Maybe one of those would help you lighten up!

It’s not the losing that bothers me. It’s the losing because of dumb play calls, terrible clock management, and the ridiculous penalties we’ve been getting. It’s the fact that this team has talent that isn’t being used that bothers me. There’s no discipline either. That’s the hard part

POD Knows
November 8th, 2023, 10:42 AM
What moral victory? The fact we are one of the worst teams in the MVFC is a moral victory now? We are going to get our ass kicked by SIU this week and even worse next week against UNI. This team sucksxlolx We haven't had any moral victories yet, all of our losses have been blow outs but moral victories are on their way, it is as certain as the sun rising in the east.

I could see this scenario, somehow the Bison make the playoffs and get fed to SDSU and the score is 28-14 and people will say, well, Blutto, we played them tough in their own building.

F'N Hawks
November 8th, 2023, 10:51 AM

When they lose to UND it breaks them.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2023, 06:07 AM

You're a clown. This team doesn't suck but they are not just up to the standard of the previous teams from '10 on. Defense needs an overhaul after this year. If the coaches continue to run this Tampa 2 defense then they better recruit OLBs that can cover slot WRs. The back 7 on this defense are average at best and I would say below average. I hate this RPO offense that Roehl has made them but this is what we have with that crap. Nothing like they use to be.

Your "schtick" on here is the same old crap week in and out. Crawl back under that rock where you came from little boy...xcoffeex

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2023, 06:44 AM
Yes, we are reduced to moral victories now, pretty soon we will be indistinguishable from the fans of UND. 

may be time for your Bison to hit the weight room really hard during offseason ?

xdrunkyx

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2023, 08:19 AM
This team doesn't suck but they are not just up to the standard of the previous teams from '10 on.

Exactly...I know "worst in the MVFC", and NDSU is not that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Exactly...I know "worst in the MVFC", and NDSU is not that.

WIU is a proud football program that is a shell of its former self. Hopefully the move to the OVC gives the program a shot for improvement. The OVC is not as tough as the Valley and WIU should be able to compete there.

clenz
November 9th, 2023, 11:36 AM
WIU is a proud football program that is a shell of its former self. Hopefully the move to the OVC gives the program a shot for improvement. The OVC is not as tough as the Valley and WIU should be able to compete there.
You'd hope, but WIU is at a different level of bad right now. WIU has been bad for a long time but it's always been "Yeah, they're bad but they are Valley bad and not just bottom of the FCS bad" - similar to what Indiana State is this year.

I've seen more WIU this year than I anyone outside of Macomb this year should, and they are genuinely absolutely brutal. I think they'd struggle in the OVC this year. Hell, I really think they'd really struggle in most/any D2 leagues. They probably fair okay in the PFL but I'm not actually that confident in that.

Not only has the WIU bus gone from sputtering, but still slowly rolling forward, to being stopped. it looks like someone came through and took the tires and put it on cinder blocks and then a day later someone came through and threw rocks through every window and spray painted it with obscene graffiti.

WIU right now is legitimately 7-8+ touchdowns worse (or more) than 9 of the 11 other Valley teams if the games were played full start to finish with starters. The other two they are probably 3-4 scores. We'll never know with Murray State since they don't play them, and we can find out with Indiana State this weekend, but based on what I've seen all season long I'd put money on ISUb -24.5.

Are they closer to OVC teams? 100%. I'm not sure the gap between the OVC and the MVFC is going to make up 50-60+ points most weekends? Probably not without some pretty significant shifts with that program. I hope that in 3 to 4 seasons they have found a footing and are top half to quarter of the OVC.

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2023, 06:12 PM
Do they actually or is just bias? From pictures comparing the IPFs and training centers NDSU looks a significant tier above SDSUs.

No one. And I mean NO ONE acts like the Fargo Dome is nice. The fact you said “is becoming” makes me think you have no idea what you’re talking about lol
Maybe NDSUs is a little better, but a “significant tier” above SDSU? Not a shot.

As for the FargoDome, it’s been regularly considered as one of the best FCS stadiums for years now. 10 years ago it certainly held that distinction. But with the crowds no longer making it as intimidating of a venue, the age is showing on it. As nice as having an indoor stadium can be, I much prefer a stadium like DJD.

Gil Dobie
November 9th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Maybe NDSUs is a little better, but a “significant tier” above SDSU? Not a shot.

As for the FargoDome, it’s been regularly considered as one of the best FCS stadiums for years now. 10 years ago it certainly held that distinction. But with the crowds no longer making it as intimidating of a venue, the age is showing on it. As nice as having an indoor stadium can be, I much prefer a stadium like DJD.

You could have Lambeau Field in Fargo, when the temps drop below freezing, the crowd will be sparse, 5000 or less. I'll even take a Metrodome or Dakota Dome in that weather over any outdoor facility.

POD Knows
November 9th, 2023, 09:38 PM
You could have Lambeau Field in Fargo, when the temps drop below freezing, the crowd will be sparse, 5000 or less. I'll even take a Metrodome or Dakota Dome in that weather over any outdoor facility.
These sunbelters from SD have no idea what real winter weather is, Fargo and points north have, by far, the worst weather in the continental USA. The weather in Bismarck ND is a hell of a lot better than Fargo in the winter. I do think that with FBS and no late NOV and DEC games, a dome might not be necessary

Christiank22
November 10th, 2023, 07:38 AM
These sunbelters from SD have no idea what real winter weather is, Fargo and points north have, by far, the worst weather in the continental USA. The weather in Bismarck ND is a hell of a lot better than Fargo in the winter. I do think that with FBS and no late NOV and DEC games, a dome might not be necessary

I’ve lived in both. I’ve felt colder temps and more snow in Bismarck than I ever did in Fargo. Sure the average temp is like 1 degree cooler in Fargo but the extremes are worse in Western ND

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2023, 08:02 AM
I’ve lived in both. I’ve felt colder temps and more snow in Bismarck than I ever did in Fargo. Sure the average temp is like 1 degree cooler in Fargo but the extremes are worse in Western ND

Fargo is 4 degrees colder in December and one of the windiest cities in the United States. Used to freeze my butt walking backwards in what felt like a wind tunnel, from the south parking lot to Steven's Hall.

POD Knows
November 10th, 2023, 08:53 AM
B as in B, S as in S, don't care about your anedotal stories, here are the average temps for Bismarck and Fargo for Dec-Mar

Bismarck
Dec 26
Jan 23
Feb 28
Mar 40

Fargo
Dec 22
Jan 18
Feb 24
Mar 36

Bismarck also gets less snow on average and I believe it has lower humidity on average which is huge when it is cold out.

It wouldn't hurt your case to actually use facts once in a while, try it, you will like it.

Christiank22
November 10th, 2023, 10:37 AM
B as in B, S as in S, don't care about your anedotal stories, here are the average temps for Bismarck and Fargo for Dec-Mar

Bismarck
Dec 26
Jan 23
Feb 28
Mar 40

Fargo
Dec 22
Jan 18
Feb 24
Mar 36

Bismarck also gets less snow on average and I believe it has lower humidity on average which is huge when it is cold out.

It wouldn't hurt your case to actually use facts once in a while, try it, you will like it.

Fargo gets 51 in of snow on average. Bismarck gets 50.5 lmao

Bismarcks average low is also a whopping 1 degree warmer lol. Maybe you should use facts.

Also where was the coldest temp in the state recorded? Hint not out east.

Paladin1aa
November 10th, 2023, 06:06 PM

Bismarcks average low is also a whopping 1 degree warmer lol. Maybe you should use facts.

Also where was the coldest temp in the state recorded? Hint not out

Thats all the snow you puzzies get ? For the last decade ( 2010-2019), Youngstown-Warren, Ohio averaged 74.6 inches per year. And the wind creates some stunning high snow drifts !

POD Knows
November 10th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Also where was the coldest temp in the state recorded? Hint not out east.

Four degrees on average is a lot,

And the record low in ND was in Parshall, north of the Missouri, if you know anything about ND, the river/lake is the dividing line between the tropics in ND and the rest of the state. SW ND get the Chinooks, which warm the area down there.

Fargo is colder in the winter and gets more snow, they have worse winter weather and no spin you provide will change that fact. Game, set, match. Game Blouses.

Chalupa Batman
November 10th, 2023, 06:57 PM

And the record low in ND was in Parshall, north of the Missouri, if you know anything about ND, the river/lake is the dividing line between the tropics in ND and the rest of the state. SW ND get the Chinooks, which warm the area down there.

Fargo is colder in the winter and gets more snow, they have worse winter weather and no spin you provide will change that fact. Game, set, match. Game Blouses.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l46CqETdipTOTiRyg/giphy.gif

Christiank22
November 10th, 2023, 07:25 PM

1 degree. 1 whole degree from the January low. You keep quoting 4 yet that isn’t correct.

Parshall is in the north WEST side of the state.

Record cold west side. Record snow also west side, north west of Minot. Fargo gets 0.5 more inches of snow than Bismarck. 2 inches more than Williston. On average.

Once again, the west absolutely gets worse extremes. The average on the east side is slightly colder sure. Never said it wasn’t. For some reason you ignore those facts though. People in eastern ND have some weird fetish with acting like they’re the only place on earth that gets cold

Christiank22
November 10th, 2023, 07:29 PM

Funny enough Watford City on the far west side of the state gets about the same snow as Fargo. Sure the average low is warmer but the extremes are just as cold. And williston has an even colder extreme low. Not sure why you ignore facts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_City,_North_Dakota

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williston,_North_Dakota

Christiank22
November 10th, 2023, 07:35 PM
But at the end of the day who gives a ****. This is about football

Uncle Rico
November 11th, 2023, 04:50 AM
But the real question, which town has better Casey's pizza?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Christiank22
November 11th, 2023, 04:53 AM
But the real question, which town has better Casey's pizza?

No Casey’s in the western 2/3 of ND. That’s very much an eastern thing

Uncle Rico
November 11th, 2023, 04:54 AM
No Casey’s in the western 2/3 of ND. That’s very much an eastern thing1 point for Fargo I guess.

Gil Dobie
November 11th, 2023, 09:05 AM
1 ydegree. 1 whole degree from the January low. You keep quoting 4 yet that isn’t correct.

Record cold west side. Record snow also west side, north west of Minot. Fargo gets 0.5 more inches of snow than Bismarck. 2 inches more than Williston. On average.

Once again, the west absolutely gets worse extremes. The average on the east side is slightly colder sure. Never said it wasn’t. For some reason you ignore those facts though. People in eastern ND have some weird fetish with acting like they’re the only place on earth that gets cold

It is 4 degrees colder in Fargo on average, than Bismarck, in December, the month football could be played. Plus Fargo is one of the windiest cities, with the long flat Red River Valley and nothing to slow it down.

Gil Dobie
November 11th, 2023, 09:10 AM
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/North-Dakota/temperature-december.php#google_vignette

Bismarck 28
Fargo 24

Gil Dobie
November 11th, 2023, 09:16 AM
https://stacker.com/weather/windiest-cities-america

Fargo listed at 15th, Grand Forks also made the list, is Bismarck on the list?

skinny_uncle
November 11th, 2023, 02:22 PM
Anyone know where I can find a national college football message board???

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2023, 03:01 PM
For the morbidly curious, the great question of the season has been answered...

Western Illinois - 6
Indiana State - 27

Chalupa Batman
November 11th, 2023, 03:03 PM
For the morbidly curious, the great question of the season has been answered...

Western Illinois - 6
Indiana State - 27

The Citadel/Wofford loser should be awaiting you next week

mmiller_34
November 11th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Why does UNI always do this.

Chalupa Batman
November 11th, 2023, 03:31 PM

I was soooooo close to picking MSU in the MVFC pick em this week

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2023, 03:44 PM
The Citadel/Wofford loser should be awaiting you next week

https://i.imgur.com/ncrFsxY.jpg

https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=539277&oid0=8754&h=0&s1=539277&oid1=1545

JacksFan40
November 11th, 2023, 04:26 PM
FargoDome looks pretty empty on TV, haven’t seen a crowd that small there in a while.

Born a Rabbit
November 11th, 2023, 04:43 PM

is this game over? any chance UNI comes back. panthers losing doesnt help anyone

JacksFan40
November 11th, 2023, 04:48 PM
is this game over? any chance UNI comes back. panthers losing doesnt help anyone
28-9 early in the 4th and Missouri State is in UNI territory. I’d say that game is over regardless of if they get points or not.

mmiller_34
November 11th, 2023, 05:05 PM
FargoDome looks pretty empty on TV, haven’t seen a crowd that small there in a while.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231111/74417a6513e870e2346441584cc223d0.jpg

Pretty sick “white out” crowd for the Bizon.

Christiank22
November 11th, 2023, 05:16 PM

You must not watch much. This is more than I thought they’d have

JacksFan40
November 11th, 2023, 05:44 PM
With how today turned out it wouldn’t surprise me if SDSU, USD, and NDSU are the only MVFC teams in the playoffs.

UND and Illinois State have a win or go home game next week, and I am not liking either teams odds of getting in at 7-4. UND might have a slightly better case, but they’ll need to win first.

UNI has to beat NDSU next week for any hope of getting in at 7-4, and judging by how both teams did today I will be picking the Bison.

YSU and SIU both have winnable games that should get both to 7-4. YSU blew out SIU this season, so one would assume YSU would have the advantage for a playoff spot, but who knows.

SDSU should beat Missouri State and USD should demolish WIU. SDSU will remain #1 with a win, while USD could end up anywhere in the 3-5 range I believe. NDSU has a case for a seed at 8-3, but so will multiple other teams. Going to be interesting to see how the committee sorts that mess out.

If I were to guarantee who will be seeded it would be only SDSU, USD, Furman, and Montana right now. Idaho lost to Weber which puts them in a tough spot. Montana State needs to beat Montana next week for any hope of being seeded. The winner of Delaware-Villanova will be seeded, but the loser will have to wait and see. The remaining teams hopeful for a seed are NDSU, Sac State, WCU, Mercer, Albany, and maybe UT-Martin. Might be missing another team or two as well.

atthewbon
November 11th, 2023, 07:49 PM
With how today turned out it wouldn’t surprise me if SDSU, USD, and NDSU are the only MVFC teams in the playoffs.

UND and Illinois State have a win or go home game next week, and I am not liking either teams odds of getting in at 7-4. UND might have a slightly better case, but they’ll need to win first.

UNI has to beat NDSU next week for any hope of getting in at 7-4, and judging by how both teams did today I will be picking the Bison.

YSU and SIU both have winnable games that should get both to 7-4. YSU blew out SIU this season, so one would assume YSU would have the advantage for a playoff spot, but who knows.

SDSU should beat Missouri State and USD should demolish WIU. SDSU will remain #1 with a win, while USD could end up anywhere in the 3-5 range I believe. NDSU has a case for a seed at 8-3, but so will multiple other teams. Going to be interesting to see how the committee sorts that mess out.

If I were to guarantee who will be seeded it would be only SDSU, USD, Furman, and Montana right now. Idaho lost to Weber which puts them in a tough spot. Montana State needs to beat Montana next week for any hope of being seeded. The winner of Delaware-Villanova will be seeded, but the loser will have to wait and see. The remaining teams hopeful for a seed are NDSU, Sac State, WCU, Mercer, Albany, and maybe UT-Martin. Might be missing another team or two as well.

Assuming no crazy upsets happen (which could cause some mixups) the seeded teams will be SDSU, Furman, winner of Montana vs MSU, South Dakota, winner of Delaware vs Villanova. Montana is still probably seeded with a loss. That means there will be 2 or 3 seeds for these teams: MSU if they lose, loser of Delaware vs Villanova, NDSU, Sac St, and Albany, and if something crazy happens maybe some of the other teams you mentioned. If Albany wins they should definitely be seeded (maybe over Delaware vs Villanova) then if MSU loses I think NDSU and either Sac St or MSU get seeded, if MSU wins I think NDSU is the last seeded team. I don't see how a 8-3 SOCON team gets seeded over an 8-3 NDSU, MSU, or 8-3 Sac St with a Big Sky win. UT Martin and Austin Peay could have interesting cases at 9-2. If UT Martin blows out Samford they might have a better shot.

atthewbon
November 11th, 2023, 07:54 PM
NC Central losing to Howard today probably takes a bid away from the field and could likely leave a MVFC team home. I think SDSU, USD, and NDSU are in no matter what happens. UNI is probably in with a win but out with a loss against NDSU. UND, SIU, and YSU all need to win and be on the bubble. If they all win I think SIU is the least likely team out of the three to make it. I think I'd set the O/U at 4.5 MVFC teams

TrooperCoats
November 12th, 2023, 06:37 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231111/74417a6513e870e2346441584cc223d0.jpg

Pretty sick “white out” crowd for the Bizon.

As a fan who is part of a notoriously late-arriving crowd, I think you always need to ignore the screen grabs of crowds at the start of games (regardless of the sport). I have probably only seen 2 or 3 kickoffs in the past 10 years, and all of those would have been because it was too cold at tailgate to have 'just one more quick'.

TrooperCoats
November 12th, 2023, 06:45 AM
The real reason I came here today (not temps or crowds in Fargo) - some of you are pretty good at deciphering both conventional wisdom and the playoff committee. So I'm curious - what the case is for/against USD getting a 3 seed (I assume Furman at #2)? Why is it deemed a foregone conclusion that 3 (now 2) Big Sky teams should be above USD?
FWIW, I do think "they only won 3 games last year" and "their style of play doesn't result in blowouts/people like points" are both valid arguments. (Maybe they shouldn't be, but that is a different topic.)

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2023, 06:52 AM
NC Central losing to Howard today probably takes a bid away from the field and could likely leave a MVFC team home. I think SDSU, USD, and NDSU are in no matter what happens. UNI is probably in with a win but out with a loss against NDSU. UND, SIU, and YSU all need to win and be on the bubble. If they all win I think SIU is the least likely team out of the three to make it. I think I'd set the O/U at 4.5 MVFC teams

.....HOWARD COOD LOSE TO MORGAN STATE......N.CAROLINA CENTRAL BEATS DELAWARE STATE.......N.CAROLINA CENTRAL BEAT MORGAN STATE...H/H....NC CENTRAL WINS MEAC..&..OFF TA SWAC WINNER..RIGHT?.........AWK!

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Last year the committee said a teams wins vs the field was important.

atthewbon
November 12th, 2023, 07:50 AM
.....HOWARD COOD LOSE TO MORGAN STATE......N.CAROLINA CENTRAL BEATS DELAWARE STATE.......N.CAROLINA CENTRAL BEAT MORGAN STATE...H/H....NC CENTRAL WINS MEAC..&..OFF TA SWAC WINNER..RIGHT?.........AWK!

Oh yea NC Central still has a shot to win the MEAC but if they don’t I think they probably end up getting a bid.

MR. CHICKEN
November 12th, 2023, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=atthewbon;3158241]Oh yea NC Central still has a shot to win the MEAC but if they don’t I think they probably end up getting a bid.

.....AGREED!....xnodx.....AWK!

atthewbon
November 12th, 2023, 07:53 AM
As a fan who is part of a notoriously late-arriving crowd, I think you always need to ignore the screen grabs of crowds at the start of games (regardless of the sport). I have probably only seen 2 or 3 kickoffs in the past 10 years, and all of those would have been because it was too cold at tailgate to have 'just one more quick'.

Completely agree. I’m a fan who always wants to get into the game early, but as a fan of a late arriving basketball crowd the pictures during the national anthem don’t do the crowd justice.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2023, 08:15 AM
NDSU's crowd yesterday was bad but this isn't surprising in the least. Fan support has been dwindling since 2017 and they've won 4 national titles since then - what would you expect when they aren't among the nationally elite??? Add the ND deer opener to it and there were all sorts of tickets to be had for cheap (or even free). I wouldn't expect the sold out Fargodome crowds to come back anytime soon outside of homecoming and when they play SDSU or UND (which, unfortunately, are either both home or both away and this is a year they're both away).

Bisonator
November 12th, 2023, 09:06 AM
I actually thought the crowd yesterday was pretty good considering.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2023, 09:12 AM
I actually thought the crowd yesterday was pretty good considering.Were you there in the third quarter, the student section was empty. I can only really see the west side and I doubt it was 1/3 to a 1/2 full. Probably closer to a third full.

Yote 53
November 12th, 2023, 09:56 AM
USD's losses are to a Top 15 SEC team in Missouri and to #1 SDSU. Montana has lost to NAU and had a suspect win over a D2 school in Ferris State. If we want to compare SOS, Montana has a bad loss where USD has won the games they are supposed to win and would be a one loss team if they had played Butler or Ferris State instead of Mizzou.

USD should definitely have a higher seed than Montana. Heck, what would Furman do with USD's schedule? How would they do in the Valley?

I could make the case USD should be the 2 seed behind SDSU but I'm fine with a 3 seed. Anything less than that is just NCAA political BS.

Honestly, all these "bubble" teams in the Valley we're talking about would kick the crap out of over half the playoff field. I get sick of the MVFC cannibalizing itself every year.

mmiller_34
November 12th, 2023, 10:09 AM

That screen grab was from the start of the 2nd half.

I watched the whole game, it wasn’t much better in the 2nd quarter.

Mid of the 3rd quarter seemed like it really dropped off — which is normal, especially with the beat down the Bizon gave the Salukis. No judgement there, happens everywhere in non-competitive games.

To be honest, I’m just ribbing the Bizon fans a little. In the past they were relentless to other fan bases about the lack of support; especially SDSU fans when we upgraded to a 19k+ stadium.

If NDSU wants to bring back those days, they need to find a way to FBS and I would hope SDSU would join them.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Mid of the 3rd quarter seemed like it really dropped off — which is normal, especially with the beat down the Bizon gave the Salukis. No judgement there, happens everywhere in non-competitive games.

To be honest, I’m just ribbing the Bizon fans a little. In the past they were relentless to other fan bases about the lack of support; especially SDSU fans when we upgraded to a 19k+ stadium.

If NDSU wants to bring back those days, they need to find a way to FBS and I would hope SDSU would join them.I said this earlier, there was maybe 7000 left after halftime, the place cleared out and it was 13-10. I am convinced, more now than ever, that half of the crowd are raging alcoholics and they refuse to pay $8 for a freaking beer and are getting DT's by halftime and need to leave. If you took the trouble to get to the game, and this game is critical to getting to the playoffs, and the game is tight, why leave unless it is a medical emergency, like DT's or something. xdrunkyx

JacksFan40
November 12th, 2023, 11:23 AM
USD's losses are to a Top 15 SEC team in Missouri and to #1 SDSU. Montana has lost to NAU and had a suspect win over a D2 school in Ferris State. If we want to compare SOS, Montana has a bad loss where USD has won the games they are supposed to win and would be a one loss team if they had played Butler or Ferris State instead of Mizzou.

USD should definitely have a higher seed than Montana. Heck, what would Furman do with USD's schedule? How would they do in the Valley?

I could make the case USD should be the 2 seed behind SDSU but I'm fine with a 3 seed. Anything less than that is just NCAA political BS.

Honestly, all these "bubble" teams in the Valley we're talking about would kick the crap out of over half the playoff field. I get sick of the MVFC cannibalizing itself every year.
The Mizzou loss doesn’t hurt the Coyotes, getting beat by 34 at home by SDSU does hurt. If Montana beats Montana State they’ll get the #2 spot over USD and Furman, those wins over Sac State, Idaho, and Montana State would trump anything USD has. If Montana State beats Montana it could create an interesting situation where I could see USD being #3. I think that Montana State having two FCS losses could push the Coyotes past them, but I don’t see them passing Furman.

JacksFan40
November 12th, 2023, 11:25 AM

If NDSU wants to bring back those days, they need to find a way to FBS and I would hope SDSU would join them.
I think the window for moving to the FBS is slamming shut very soon with the MWC merging with Oregon State and Washington State. The MAC has shown no interesting in expanding west, and only showed interest expanding south with WKU and MTSU, not that I’d want in the MAC anyways. C-USA would only work as football only members, and even that is pretty uninspiring. It was either MWC or bust.

Paladin1aa
November 12th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Agree with your last paragraph. This division is becoming a total joke.

SDFS
November 12th, 2023, 12:09 PM
Oh yea NC Central still has a shot to win the MEAC but if they don’t I think they probably end up getting a bid.

Is that because of the eye test? Here is the resume that I see:

1) No wins against teams with a winning record.
2) Strength of schedule 94 in massey rating system
3) Massey rating system has them with a rating of 5.77 (53) just above Idaho St with 5.75 (54).
4) Wins against: DII, 88, 125, 62 (OT), 34, 74, 97, 105
5) Losses against: P5, 75 by 30.

I don't see it. Help me understand it.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2023, 12:10 PM

USD's problem is they've scored zero style points all year in their wins. I know that a win is a win but I think it does matter. USD has actually been outscored in their last 5 games despite going 4-1 in those games. They'll still be seeded highly if they beat WIU (and at the risk of jinxing them I don't think it's humanly possible for them to lose that game) but #4 is the highest they'll be able to get IMO.

Is that because of the eye test? Here is the resume that I see:

1) No wins against teams with a winning record.
2) Strength of schedule 94 in massey rating system
3) Massey rating system has them with a rating of 5.77 (53) just above Idaho St with 5.75 (54).
4) Wins against: DII, 88, 125, 62 (OT), 34, 74, 97, 105
5) Losses against: P5, 75 by 30.

I don't see it. Help me understand it.
Agreed - I'm not buying that NCCU is in at 9-2 if they don't make the Celebration Bowl. They seem very similar to FAMU last year who went 9-2 and was left out except that NCCU lost to a worse FCS team in Howard than FAMU did last year (Jackson St with all the Sanders'). NCCU also got bombed yesterday by Howard - it wasn't even close in any aspect of that game. They can maybe score some points with their win over Elon but Elon is 5-5 right now so if that's your best win you're searching pretty hard for good wins.

TrooperCoats
November 12th, 2023, 12:18 PM
The Mizzou loss doesn’t hurt the Coyotes, getting beat by 34 at home by SDSU does hurt. If Montana beats Montana State they’ll get the #2 spot over USD and Furman, those wins over Sac State, Idaho, and Montana State would trump anything USD has. If Montana State beats Montana it could create an interesting situation where I could see USD being #3. I think that Montana State having two FCS losses could push the Coyotes past them, but I don’t see them passing Furman.I guess that is what I am asking. It seems like everyone assumes that Sac St, Idaho, and the Montana schools are clearly better than NDSU, UND, SIU, and YSU. Why is that? Eye test? Pre-season expectations? If NDSU had USD's results, would they still be in 4th/5th?
I agree with your statement about how it will work out, I'm just asking why it will work out that way - challenging assumptions I guess.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Bisonator
November 12th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Were you there in the third quarter, the student section was empty. I can only really see the west side and I doubt it was 1/3 to a 1/2 full. Probably closer to a third full.
Yeah we stayed until mid 4th. Pretty sure most students left for the long weekend anyway. Like I said all things considering with the holiday and deer opener I thought it was a pretty decent turnout.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Yeah we stayed until mid 4th. Pretty sure most students left for the long weekend anyway. Like I said all things considering with the holiday and deer opener I thought it was a pretty decent turnout.
Wasnt just the students, they leave at the half of every game, it was the season ticket holders that left or didn't show up at all, no way all these people are deer hunters. I watched a bunch of middle aged and older people leave our section at half time, maybe it was the quality of play right before the half that sent them to the exits, no idea but it would be interesting to know. I would also like to interview the people that have the season tickets right next to us that have been filled for one game this year. ONE FREAKING GAME. You can't donate these or give them away or something???

SDFS
November 12th, 2023, 02:38 PM
The Mizzou loss doesn’t hurt the Coyotes, getting beat by 34 at home by SDSU does hurt. If Montana beats Montana State they’ll get the #2 spot over USD and Furman, those wins over Sac State, Idaho, and Montana State would trump anything USD has. If Montana State beats Montana it could create an interesting situation where I could see USD being #3. I think that Montana State having two FCS losses could push the Coyotes past them, but I don’t see them passing Furman.

I posted this in another thread because FUBeAR was pimping Furman. I don't understand the Top 4 Love for Furman. If you look at the schedule it looks like they played a Pioneer League like conference schedule with a reasonable nonconference slate. They must really pass the eye test. Because the resume is limited to a Top 15/10 ranking.

Furmans wins according Massey Rating System: 83, 72, 28, 118, 50, 30, 85, 33, 76, 102 - not exactly murders row. The team that you called out in USD's schedule is St. Thomas at (91). Furman had 6 games playing the equivalent or worse (83, 118, 85, 102, 72, 76) with an AVG of 89.3. So, you want a 2 or 3 seed for Furman because they won three games against marginal teams at 28, 30, 33. Lets put that in terms of western schools that we see more often on our schedules. So, you have a Top 3 seed because you beat Missouri State 4-6 (27), Southern Utah 5-5 (29), Northern Arizona 4-6 (36). Resume is not impressive.

JacksFan40
November 12th, 2023, 03:22 PM
I posted this in another thread because FUBeAR was pimping Furman. I don't understand the Top 4 Love for Furman. If you look at the schedule it looks like they played a Pioneer League like conference schedule with a reasonable nonconference slate. They must really pass the eye test. Because the resume is limited to a Top 15/10 ranking.

Furmans wins according Massey Rating System: 83, 72, 28, 118, 50, 30, 85, 33, 76, 102 - not exactly murders row. The team that you called out in USD's schedule is St. Thomas at (91). Furman had 6 games playing the equivalent or worse (83, 118, 85, 102, 72, 76) with an AVG of 89.3. So, you want a 2 or 3 seed for Furman because they won three games against marginal teams at 28, 30, 33. Let’s put that in terms of western schools that we see more often on our schedules. So, you have a Top 3 seed because you beat Missouri State 4-6 (27), Southern Utah 5-5 (29), Northern Arizona 4-6 (36). Resume is not impressive.
I could see the committee dropping Furman to the lower end of the seeds like Samford last year. Difference this year though is Furman has been highly ranked all year, whereas Samford was unranked to start 2022. The other difference is that Samford was passed up by 5 teams who all had 1 FCS loss or less, those being 10-1 SDSU, 11-0 Sac State, 9-2 NDSU, 9-2 Montana State, and 10-1 W&M, despite Samford being 10-0 in FCS play. The only teams who can finish with 1 FCS loss or less this year besides Furman and could realistically be ranked highly are SDSU, Montana, USD, and Delaware. Not as much top end competition like Samford had.

I could see the committee treating the South Carolina loss far harsher then they did for Samford’s loss to Georgia last year. South Carolina sucks and will not go bowling this year, unlike Georgia who went 15-0. It hurts even more because Furman got blown out. For comparison Jacksonville State only lost by 10 to South Carolina, and I don’t think anyone would argue that Jacksonville State would be the top FCS team this year. I would pick SDSU to beat South Carolina, and honestly would consider Montana, Montana State, USD, and NDSU over them as well.

Lots of things to consider when ranking these teams.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2023, 04:07 PM
I could see the committee dropping Furman to the lower end of the seeds like Samford last year. Difference this year though is Furman has been highly ranked all year, whereas Samford was unranked to start 2022. The other difference is that Samford was passed up by 5 teams who all had 1 FCS loss or less, those being 10-1 SDSU, 11-0 Sac State, 9-2 NDSU, 9-2 Montana State, and 10-1 W&M, despite Samford being 10-0 in FCS play. The only teams who can finish with 1 FCS loss or less this year besides Furman and could realistically be ranked highly are SDSU, Montana, USD, and Delaware. Not as much top end competition like Samford had.

I could see the committee treating the South Carolina loss far harsher then they did for Samford’s loss to Georgia last year. South Carolina sucks and will not go bowling this year, unlike Georgia who went 15-0. It hurts even more because Furman got blown out. For comparison Jacksonville State only lost by 10 to South Carolina, and I don’t think anyone would argue that Jacksonville State would be the top FCS team this year. I would pick SDSU to beat South Carolina, and honestly would consider Montana, Montana State, USD, and NDSU over them as well.

Yep, this is the big factor going in Furman's favor this year. The bar for that #2 or #3 seed isn't nearly as high as it was last year.

SDFS
November 12th, 2023, 05:39 PM

I was replying to your comment "I think that Montana State having two FCS losses could push the Coyotes past them, but I don’t see them passing Furman."

I don't see anything on Furman resume that would rationalize them over USD. USD has 4 wins better than Furman's best win. Looking at the resume is advocating for a Pioneer League level conference schedule with three reasonable nonconference games. Again, putting there wins in terms of western schools we typically see on our schedules You are looking wins over: Missouri State 4-6 (27), Southern Utah 5-5 (29), Northern Arizona 4-6 (36). There are NO quality wins. They must really pass the eye test.

TrooperCoats
November 13th, 2023, 05:32 AM
I was replying to your comment "I think that Montana State having two FCS losses could push the Coyotes past them, but I don’t see them passing Furman."

I don't see anything on Furman resume that would rationalize them over USD. USD has 4 wins better than Furman's best win. Looking at the resume is advocating for a Pioneer League level conference schedule with three reasonable nonconference games. Again, putting there wins in terms of western schools we typically see on our schedules You are looking wins over: Missouri State 4-6 (27), Southern Utah 5-5 (29), Northern Arizona 4-6 (36). There are NO quality wins. They must really pass the eye test.
IDK, going undefeated is hard. I'm OK with Furman at #2. My question was whether Montana or MSU's resume is really better than USD's. I would guess both Montana's would beat Furman, but Furman's undefeated resume is worthy of #2.

Gil Dobie
November 13th, 2023, 06:47 AM

I would probably drop my tickets if NDSU went FBS.

Christiank22
November 13th, 2023, 07:14 AM
I would probably drop my tickets if NDSU went FBS.

Yeah I mean who wants to play better competition for more money and more recognition

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2023, 07:26 AM
....AN'....MO' DEFEETS!...........BRAWK!

JacksFan40
November 13th, 2023, 07:32 AM
Yeah I mean who wants to play better competition for more money and more recognition
If NDSU got to play teams like Boise, Fresno, Air Force, Wyoming etc. it would be better competition. If it’s teams like New Mexico State, UTEP, NIU, Akron etc. it would be a a lateral move at best and possibly a downgrade in terms of competition.

Bisonator
November 13th, 2023, 07:49 AM
If NDSU got to play teams like Boise, Fresno, Air Force, Wyoming etc. it would be better competition. If it’s teams like New Mexico State, UTEP, NIU, Akron etc. it would be a a lateral move at best and possibly a downgrade in terms of competition.
Not sure about that, outside of the top half of the MVFC the rest of our schedule has been pretty awful the last several years. Just adding FBS teams would make it better, not to mention the ability to schedule a B1G or B12 game again.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2023, 01:06 PM
All that UNI front-running on here and social media sure died a quick death

SDFS
November 13th, 2023, 01:21 PM
IDK, going undefeated is hard. I'm OK with Furman at #2. My question was whether Montana or MSU's resume is really better than USD's. I would guess both Montana's would beat Furman, but Furman's undefeated resume is worthy of #2.

I agree that going undefeated is a challenge. But at some point who those wins are against has to matter. The BEST win is a Missouri State equivalent. And right now they are in line to be the #2 team and homefield throughout playoffs until the Championship Game with that schedule. I don't see it at all. I will try to make a point to watch a reply of Furman to see what the eye test is all about.

TrooperCoats
November 13th, 2023, 06:40 PM
The real reason I came here today (not temps or crowds in Fargo) - some of you are pretty good at deciphering both conventional wisdom and the playoff committee. So I'm curious - what the case is for/against USD getting a 3 seed (I assume Furman at #2)? Why is it deemed a foregone conclusion that 3 (now 2) Big Sky teams should be above USD?
FWIW, I do think "they only won 3 games last year" and "their style of play doesn't result in blowouts/people like points" are both valid arguments. (Maybe they shouldn't be, but that is a different topic.)
Got my answer: FCS: Week 12 Resumes For The Top 10 Ranked Teams - HERO Sports (https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2023-week-12-resumes-bzbz/)
After looking at it, I'd say USD has a pretty good case for the 2 seed as well as the 3 seed. Based on resume, SDSU is the only team that is clearly better. If you use style points or previous year/starting spot in polls you can get to 4-6 seed.

caribbeanhen
November 13th, 2023, 06:45 PM

agree

POD Knows
November 13th, 2023, 07:07 PM
All that UNI front-running on here and social media sure died a quick death
Nah. They will be back out there when they drop 49 on the Herd this weekend.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2023, 07:13 PM
Got my answer: FCS: Week 12 Resumes For The Top 10 Ranked Teams - HERO Sports (https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2023-week-12-resumes-bzbz/)
After looking at it, I'd say USD has a pretty good case for the 2 seed as well as the 3 seed. Based on resume, SDSU is the only team that is clearly better. If you use style points or previous year/starting spot in polls you can get to 4-6 seed.

That would be the worst 2-3 seed in FCS/1AA history

TrooperCoats
November 13th, 2023, 09:41 PM
Could be. But here we are.

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2023, 06:39 AM

Idaho did it and ........

nodak651
November 14th, 2023, 09:31 AM

Say goodbye to every home game on statewide TV in exchange for a game or three on ESPN2 (which already happens), a couple maybe on ESPN U or CBSSN, and the rest exclusively on ESPN+ with no option for local TV to pick up the game.

Christiank22
November 14th, 2023, 10:12 AM
Say goodbye to every home game on statewide TV in exchange for a game or three on ESPN2 (which already happens), a couple maybe on ESPN U or CBSSN, and the rest exclusively on ESPN+ with no option for local TV to pick up the game.

If it means we never have to play FCS football again I’m all for it

Yote 53
November 14th, 2023, 10:50 AM

USD the worst 2-3 seed FCS History? Only FCS loss is to an SDSU team that has clearly separated themselves from the rest of FCS and a top 15 FBS Missouri team that just gave #1 Georgia their toughest test of the season two weeks ago. We've played 5 FCS Top 20 teams and are 4-1. Who has a better resume (other than SDSU) than that? Montana has played and won 3 Top 20 matchups but also lost to a NAU team that has a losing record. Montana State has 2 FCS losses, SDSU and Idaho. Furman, look at who they play.

This is an ironic statement coming from a UND fan that just LOST to USD in a Top 10 matchup.

F'N Hawks
November 14th, 2023, 11:00 AM
USD the worst 2-3 seed FCS History? Only FCS loss is to an SDSU team that has clearly separated themselves from the rest of FCS and a top 15 FBS Missouri team that just gave #1 Georgia their toughest test of the season two weeks ago. We've played 5 FCS Top 20 teams and are 4-1. Who has a better resume (other than SDSU) than that? Montana has played and won 3 Top 20 matchups but also lost to a NAU team that has a losing record. Montana State has 2 FCS losses, SDSU and Idaho. Furman, look at who they play.

This is an ironic statement coming from a UND fan that just LOST to USD in a Top 10 matchup.

Nothing real ironic about it as I didn't talk about UND or mention them. USD is not a Top 2 team in the country, seriously. UND didn't even play well and it was 14-10.

Saying "who is better than them" doesn't invalidate my point. It shows that the FCS must be down as anybody can watch USD and tell they aren't exactly what NDSU, SDSU, JMU, MSU were/are.

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2023, 02:26 PM
If it means we never have to play FCS football again I’m all for it

I'm a half hour from the Minnesota Gophers, and I've been to 3 games not against NDSU, in 30+ years. I go to more FCS games, 4 hours away each year. FBS has nothing to offer, unless they expand the playoffs.

Yote 53
November 14th, 2023, 02:36 PM
Nothing real ironic about it as I didn't talk about UND or mention them. USD is not a Top 2 team in the country, seriously. UND didn't even play well and it was 14-10.

USD didn't even play well and still won the game. Left 14 points on the field by turning the ball over at the goal line twice and was asleep on the opening kickoff, bad mistakes that let UND stay in the game. Other than 3 plays UND did nothing the whole game while USD racked up over 400 yards of offense. Should have been a 28-3 blowout. The yardage stats back that up too.

See how that works both ways.

Do UND fans actually think they have the better team and should have won that game? That game was lopsided and just a matter of time before USD sealed the W.

F'N Hawks
November 14th, 2023, 03:02 PM
USD didn't even play well and still won the game. Left 14 points on the field by turning the ball over at the goal line twice and was asleep on the opening kickoff, bad mistakes that let UND stay in the game. Other than 3 plays UND did nothing the whole game while USD racked up over 400 yards of offense. Should have been a 28-3 blowout. The yardage stats back that up too.

See how that works both ways.

Do UND fans actually think they have the better team and should have won that game? That game was lopsided and just a matter of time before USD sealed the W.

No idea why you keep talking about the UND game. Just because I am a fan of them? UND is like the 16th best team in the country.

The point was if you think USD is a solid #2 seed I don't know what to tell you other than it means the FCS landscape is WAY down from previous years. USD has gotten good fortune this year as indicated by their very close wins. Some years you win them, other years you don't - like last year.

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2023, 07:21 PM
Going to be interesting to see where all the Valley teams end up tomorrow.

My gut says this:

1. SDSU
3. USD
7/8. NDSU
Youngstown State
Southern Illinois
UND

All get in.

ysubigred
November 18th, 2023, 07:24 PM

My gut says this:

1. SDSU
3. USD
7/8. NDSU
Youngstown State
Southern Illinois
UND

All get in.Man, I hope ur right. No doubt these teams are all better than most.

mvfcfan
November 18th, 2023, 07:29 PM

My gut says this:

1. SDSU
3. USD
7/8. NDSU
Youngstown State
Southern Illinois
UND

All get in.

Agree with this. I have NDSU as a 7 seed because I think they'll prefer them playing Montana over another game in Brookings.

POD Knows
November 18th, 2023, 07:59 PM
Agree with this. I have NDSU as a 7 seed because I think they'll prefer them playing Montana over another game in Brookings.
I don’t know about 6 getting in but the tie breaker at 7-3 is a son of a bitch. Probably SIU out because of the head to head with YSU. The OOC wins for YSU and UND are complete trash. It is a tough call. I just think getting 6 in is tough.

JacksFan40
November 18th, 2023, 08:03 PM
I don’t know about 6 getting in but the tie breaker at 7-3 is a son of a bitch. Probably SIU out because of the head to head with YSU. The OOC wins for YSU and UND are complete trash. It is a tough call. I just think getting 6 in is tough.
I’d take a 7-4 MVFC team over nearly any other 7-4 team from the other conferences, and over quite a few 8 and 9 wins teams.

SIU is also tough to leave out due to wins over Austin Peay and NIU.

POD Knows
November 18th, 2023, 08:09 PM
I’d take a 7-4 MVFC team over nearly any other 7-4 team from the other conferences, and over quite a few 8 and 9 wins teams.

SIU is also tough to leave out due to wins over Austin Peay and NIU.
Yea I know and if I was on the committee I would have at least 6 in. Hell, maybe 7.

Paladin1aa
November 18th, 2023, 08:28 PM
My hope is that the MVFC teams get spit up into different brackets so we can see the damage they will do to the rest of the teams from other conferences. Everyone says the MVFC is tough but no on3 wants to play them. We already cannibalize our selves in the regular season. How about some fresh meat for a change ? 😁

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2023, 08:33 PM
My hope is that the MVFC teams get spit up into different brackets so we can see the damage they will do to the rest of the teams from other conferences. Everyone says the MVFC is tough but no on3 wants to play them. We already cannibalize our selves in the regular season. How about some fresh meat for a change ? 😁
YSU and SIU, assuming both make it in, should see some fresh faces I'd think. The Dakota schools won't be so lucky methinks since all 4 are the only schools in the field within bus distance of each other. SDSU and USD will be seeded - good chance UND and NDSU (if they're unseeded) will be fed into one or both of them. At least they can't be matched up in the first round so any unseeded MVFC team would get fresh meat in the first round.

JacksFan40
November 18th, 2023, 08:37 PM
YSU and SIU, assuming both make it in, should see some fresh faces I'd think. The Dakota schools won't be so lucky methinks since all 4 are the only schools in the field within bus distance of each other. SDSU and USD will be seeded - good chance UND and NDSU (if they're unseeded) will be fed into one or both of them. At least they can't be matched up in the first round so any unseeded MVFC team would get fresh meat in the first round.
I would assume YSU gets Duquesne and SIU might get Drake, as UND already played Drake this year. UND might get UC-Davis? That’s a trickier one.

SDFS
November 18th, 2023, 08:46 PM

That is why I posted the record of all the Dakota schools against non Dakota schools. This year the record is 28-1 for all Dakota schools against non Dakota FCS schools (non conference and conference). The only loss is UND to UNI.

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2023, 10:18 PM
That is why I posted the record of all the Dakota schools against non Dakota schools. This year the record is 28-1 for all Dakota schools against non Dakota FCS schools (non conference and conference). The only loss is UND to UNI.

Holy ****. I did not know that.

That is insane.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Would've liked to see NDSU get a seed but I'd say the conference was treated pretty well by the selection committee this year. All 6 teams will get at least one home game and they got the 2 weakest teams in the field in Drake and Duquesne for two of them and probably the 4th weakest team in Nicholls in another one. No excuses to not see at least 5 MVFC teams in the round of 16 and hopefully an upset or three for one of the unseeded teams beyond that.

ST_Lawson
November 19th, 2023, 10:00 PM
Would've liked to see NDSU get a seed but I'd say the conference was treated pretty well by the selection committee this year. All 6 teams will get at least one home game and they got the 2 weakest teams in the field in Drake and Duquesne for two of them and probably the 4th weakest team in Nicholls in another one. No excuses to not see at least 5 MVFC teams in the round of 16 and hopefully an upset or three for one of the unseeded teams beyond that.

I agree. This was a solid bracket for the MVFC overall. I don't really think you could ask for much more.

I feel like the committee might have looked at Nova and NDSU and decided...ok, Nova gets the #8 seed, but NDSU gets the easiest draw for the first round. Massey says NDSU is ~41 point favorite in that game.
Then a road trip to one of the closer teams they could have matched you guys up with at #6 MT State. If you get past them, then it's a rematch against probably either UND or USD, and you wouldn't have to go against SDSU until a possible rematch of last year's championship game.

SDFS
November 19th, 2023, 11:30 PM
My thoughts on the Regions: SDSU, Montana, USD and Idaho or regions.

SDSU Bracket: (Massey Ranking): #1 SDSU (1) - GW (41)/Mercer (32) winner and #8 Villanova (7) - Duq (65)/ YSU (13)

Overall not much in this bracket. It is expected that SDSU will get a reasonable projected matchup against Villanova. I think YSU has an opportunity to make some noise.

Idaho Bracket: Massey Rankings #4 Idaho (6) - Nicholls (38)/SIU (8) winner and #5 Albany (15) - NCC (52)/Rich (26)

This is an awful bracket - Idaho is treated better than the overall number 1 seed. You are getting Albany in the quarter finals. Have you looked at Albany's schedule - one good win against Villanova. The rest of the schedule is garbage: wins against 55, 78, 53, 40, 80, 37, 105, 54. That included a double OT win against Morgan St (78). And loss against New Hampshire (34). How is Albany a seed? They are the hands down the worst seed. If SIU gets past UI they have a real shot at a semi final rematch with SDSU.

And people need to adjust to the reality that the CAA has such power houses as: NC A&T, Hampton, Campbell, Monmouth. In addition, Maine and Stony Brook are way down. It will be interesting to see how the CAA teams perform this year. Remember last year they had 5 teams and MVFC has 3.

USD Bracket: (Massey Ranking): #3 USD (5) - UND (10)/Sac St (12) winner and #6 MSU (4) - Drake (94)/ NDSU (3)

Three of the top 5 Massey Ranking team in one bracket and 5 of the top 12. Wow, USD has to be asking if they can be the 4 seed. The difference between the Idaho bracket and USD bracket is alarming. I am not a fan of the 3 Dakota schools in one bracket as I posted earlier in this thread. Dakota schools are 28-1 against non Dakota FCS schools. Let's stuff Idaho/Montana and Montana St in a bracket and call it a National Tournament. Two of three best MVFC schools in one bracket - what a mess.

Montana Bracket: (Massey Ranking): #2 Montana (2) - Laf (31)/UD (18) winner and #7 Furman (16) - Chat (35)/ Austin Peay (9)

This is a complete Joke - Delaware is the MASH unit and Furman lost their QB for the season. Then went out and lost to a 1 win team who by the way gave them +3 in turnovers in the first half and scored 6 points. How is Furman seeded? Seriously, just give Montana a couple of bye(s) and call it a day.

In general, the Big Sky Montana and Idaho got treated better that the overall number 1 seed SDSU. And USD well good luck.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2023, 03:36 AM
1 degree. 1 whole degree from the January low. You keep quoting 4 yet that isn’t correct.

Whe I was stationed in Fairbanks, AK, I saw -60F with no wind. My roommates were from Minnesota and Wisconsin and both preferred the winter in Fairbanks

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2023, 04:13 AM
I agree. This was a solid bracket for the MVFC overall. I don't really think you could ask for much more.

I feel like the committee might have looked at Nova and NDSU and decided...ok, Nova gets the #8 seed, but NDSU gets the easiest draw for the first round. Massey says NDSU is ~41 point favorite in that game.
Then a road trip to one of the closer teams they could have matched you guys up with at #6 MT State. If you get past them, then it's a rematch against probably either UND or USD, and you wouldn't have to go against SDSU until a possible rematch of last year's championship game.
I'm surprised by how the committee skirted the rules regarding to bus trips. Gardner-Webb or Mercer is a flight to SDSU. NDSU or Drake is a flight to Montana St. NDSU (and Drake for that matter) are bus trips to SDSU. So they definitely didn't abide by the maximizing bus trips rule there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2023, 06:18 AM
I'm surprised by how the committee skirted the rules regarding to bus trips. Gardner-Webb or Mercer is a flight to SDSU. NDSU or Drake is a flight to Montana St. NDSU (and Drake for that matter) are bus trips to SDSU. So they definitely didn't abide by the maximizing bus trips rule there.

This here. I still like the Bison's path.

TrooperCoats
November 20th, 2023, 06:27 AM
My thoughts on the Regions: SDSU, Montana, USD and Idaho or regions.

SDSU Bracket: (Massey Ranking): #1 SDSU (1) - GW (41)/Mercer (32) winner and #8 Villanova (7) - Duq (65)/ YSU (13)

Overall not much in this bracket. It is expected that SDSU will get a reasonable projected matchup against Villanova. I think YSU has an opportunity to make some noise.

Idaho Bracket: Massey Rankings #4 Idaho (6) - Nicholls (38)/SIU (8) winner and #5 Albany (15) - NCC (52)/Rich (26)

This is an awful bracket - Idaho is treated better than the overall number 1 seed. You are getting Albany in the quarter finals. Have you looked at Albany's schedule - one good win against Villanova. The rest of the schedule is garbage: wins against 55, 78, 53, 40, 80, 37, 105, 54. That included a double OT win against Morgan St (78). And loss against New Hampshire (34). How is Albany a seed? They are the hands down the worst seed. If SIU gets past UI they have a real shot at a semi final rematch with SDSU.

And people need to adjust to the reality that the CAA has such power houses as: NC A&T, Hampton, Campbell, Monmouth. In addition, Maine and Stony Brook are way down. It will be interesting to see how the CAA teams perform this year. Remember last year they had 5 teams and MVFC has 3.

USD Bracket: (Massey Ranking): #3 USD (5) - UND (10)/Sac St (12) winner and #6 MSU (4) - Drake (94)/ NDSU (3)

Three of the top 5 Massey Ranking team in one bracket and 5 of the top 12. Wow, USD has to be asking if they can be the 4 seed. The difference between the Idaho bracket and USD bracket is alarming. I am not a fan of the 3 Dakota schools in one bracket as I posted earlier in this thread. Dakota schools are 28-1 against non Dakota FCS schools. Let's stuff Idaho/Montana and Montana St in a bracket and call it a National Tournament. Two of three best MVFC schools in one bracket - what a mess.

Montana Bracket: (Massey Ranking): #2 Montana (2) - Laf (31)/UD (18) winner and #7 Furman (16) - Chat (35)/ Austin Peay (9)

This is a complete Joke - Delaware is the MASH unit and Furman lost their QB for the season. Then went out and lost to a 1 win team who by the way gave them +3 in turnovers in the first half and scored 6 points. How is Furman seeded? Seriously, just give Montana a couple of bye(s) and call it a day.

In general, the Big Sky Montana and Idaho got treated better that the overall number 1 seed SDSU. And USD well good luck.
Unfortunately (for USD), I think this is probably about right. When you load up one pod, it necessarily makes the other pods weaker. There are 4 out of 6 teams who could reasonably come out of the USD bracket, and it is hard to find 2 out of the others without a major upset.

That said - Yotes fans are truly enjoying the season, and there isn't any "it is only a success if we make it to Frisco/semis/quarters", so we will roll with the fun of knowing if we play well we can indeed progress all the way through. Really isn't much pressure, and it feels like we are playing with house money.