PDA

View Full Version : Hey Idaho!

Puddin Tane
December 17th, 2022, 01:06 PM
Coming to Lamar in 2023. Cool. We are replacing d2 western oregon on the schedule. We got a new coach and probably 22 new starters cuz of the portal! Dont know who would give yall a better game, us or W oregon.

xdrunkyx
peck em!

NY Crusader 2010
December 18th, 2022, 06:56 AM
Aren't you guys going FBS?

Puddin Tane
December 18th, 2022, 01:01 PM

naw. We are in the southland.

VandalBasher
December 20th, 2022, 07:27 AM
We are thankful to get another D1 game on the schedule. Vandals travel well. I am considering attending the game.

As for “a better game than WOU,” I am certain it will be a good game.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2022, 12:22 PM
Someone call Georgetown for a game. Otherwise they'll have to play Marist twice a year.

bonarae
December 20th, 2022, 10:06 PM
Someone call Georgetown for a game. Otherwise they'll have to play Marist twice a year.

Your Athletic Department, especially in the football division, needs to open up more to playing teams beyond your traditional scope. xsighx

JacksFan40
December 20th, 2022, 10:54 PM
Don’t think we have a 3rd OOC game yet for 2023, and id rather we not play a D2 team again. But I doubt Georgetown would ever leave the Northeast.

bonarae
December 20th, 2022, 11:00 PM
Don’t think we have a 3rd OOC game yet for 2023, and id rather we not play a D2 team again. But I doubt Georgetown would ever leave the Northeast.

Why not try an Ivy? First, though, what is the last open date for SDSU in 2023?

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2022, 12:11 AM
Your Athletic Department, especially in the football division, needs to open up more to playing teams beyond your traditional scope.
Georgetown doesn't get a lot of offers anymore.

Hoyas were offered a game at NDSU in 2012 but our previous coach didn't want the loss. He took a $0 guarantee game instead at Sacred Heart...and lost.

bonarae
December 21st, 2022, 03:35 AM
Georgetown doesn't get a lot of offers anymore.

So I have had been holding a position of "Georgetown should drop football" for a decade now because of this. xsmhx

JacksFan40
December 21st, 2022, 09:51 AM
Why not try an Ivy? First, though, what is the last open date for SDSU in 2023?
First week of the season, September 2nd. Hopefully we get a game that will count towards the playoffs and not another D2 game like in 2021. Only plus side to a D2 game is it would be a good warmup for playing Montana State the next week.

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2022, 09:55 AM
So I have had been holding a position of "Georgetown should drop football" for a decade now because of this. xsmhx

They've been playing since 1887 (or 1874, depending on the source) so it's not a passing fad.

The short answer to the larger problem is that Georgetown is trying to play Ivy League football outside the Ivy League. That's unpalatable to those outside the League and largely ignored by those inside it.

JacksFan40
December 21st, 2022, 10:10 AM
They've been playing since 1887 (or 1874, depending on the source) so it's not a passing fad.

The short answer to the larger problem is that Georgetown is trying to play Ivy League football outside the Ivy League. That's unpalatable to those outside the League and largely ignored by those inside it.
Why not just join the Pioneer? If Georgetown doesn’t want to offer scholarships for football, it’s program suicide to stay in the Patriot. Not saying Georgetown would win the PFL, but they’d be a much more competitive program then they are now.

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2022, 10:51 AM
Why not just join the Pioneer? If Georgetown doesn’t want to offer scholarships for football, it’s program suicide to stay in the Patriot. Not saying Georgetown would win the PFL, but they’d be a much more competitive program then they are now.

No interest--these schools offer no aid to athletes (not even Georgetown's meager packaged aid) and are not on the radar of students that are admittable to Georgetown in the fist place. No one, and I mean no one, wants to come to Georgetown to play Morehead State or Presbyterian. (Secondarily, all PFL schools can offer merit aid to applicants based on GPA's and Georgetown does not.)

Absent the CAA, beginning to think the NEC is a better landing spot, but I'm not there yet. PL football is at risk of folding in the future without an infusion of new teams and new ideas.

Daytripper
December 21st, 2022, 12:05 PM

Whether our FBS move was good or bad based on individual opinion, nobody can argue that our OOC has greatly improved...2023 season out of conference for Sam Houston:

BYU
Air Force @NRG Stadium in Houston (replacing SFA)
U. of Houston

Puddin Tane
December 21st, 2022, 02:42 PM
Whether our FBS move was good or bad based on individual opinion, nobody can argue that our OOC has greatly improved...2023 season out of conference for Sam Houston:

BYU
U. of Houston

so no sfa at all?

Daytripper
December 21st, 2022, 03:22 PM
so no sfa at all?

Nope. That is done until further notice.

I believe the plan is for us to play an NRG game every year but bringing in a different team each game. The thinking is that teams will jump on the chance to play in the Houston recruiting market. It also gives Sam Houston some good Houston exposure, plus a home game with much better attendance than in Huntsville in order to get that average attendance number up.

katss07
December 23rd, 2022, 12:36 PM
so no sfa at all?
Not next season but hopefully it comes back in the near future. I think administrators will quickly realize an SFA game in Huntsville would draw much better and garner more attention than any CUSA opponents.

katss07
December 23rd, 2022, 12:39 PM
I’d heard they were considering joining rival North American University in the NAIA.

NY Crusader 2010
December 24th, 2022, 06:27 AM
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there are really any examples of football rivalry games that have continued annually after the two sides end up in different divisions. SHU-SFA will probably turn into a game that gets played about once, maybe twice, every four-year academic cycle.

aceinthehole
December 24th, 2022, 08:01 AM
... beginning to think the NEC is a better landing spot, but I'm not there yet.

I can assure you the NEC is ready to accept Georgetown with open arms.

katss07
December 24th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there are really any examples of football rivalry games that have continued annually after the two sides end up in different divisions. SHU-SFA will probably turn into a game that gets played about once, maybe twice, every four-year academic cycle.
Yeah, it blows.

JacksFan40
December 24th, 2022, 08:59 PM

BYU
U. of Houston
Playing Air Force at NRG should get a good crowd, service academies always draw well.

JacksFan40
December 24th, 2022, 09:01 PM
No interest--these schools offer no aid to athletes (not even Georgetown's meager packaged aid) and are not on the radar of students that are admittable to Georgetown in the fist place. No one, and I mean no one, wants to come to Georgetown to play Morehead State or Presbyterian. (Secondarily, all PFL schools can offer merit aid to applicants based on GPA's and Georgetown does not.)

Absent the CAA, beginning to think the NEC is a better landing spot, but I'm not there yet. PL football is at risk of folding in the future without an infusion of new teams and new ideas.
I’m just saying if Georgetown won’t commit to playing scholarship football, it’s suicide to play in the PL where you’re at an automatic disadvantage.

MSUBobcat
December 26th, 2022, 10:43 AM

It would be a shame for the rivalry to lose steam, but that is the case more often than not.

It's not quite the same as rivals being in the same division and then splitting, but one of the greatest rivalries (admittedly biased opinion), now known as the Brawl of the Wild, was more often than not when the 2 schools were in different conferences and, I believe, often different divisions. UM played in the Pacific Coast Conference, which basically became the PAC-12, from 1924-1949. They then moved to the Mountain States Conference, which competed in the upper University Division, from 1951 to 1961, before finally becoming a founding member of the Big Sky, along with MSU, in 1963. Montana State was in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference from 1917-1956. Until 1937-38, the RMAC was considered a major conference (per wiki), probably similar to the PCC??, but then several members left to form the aforementioned Mountain States Conference. In fact, RMAC dropped to NAIA for the 1952 season. This is why MSU won an NAIA championship in 1956, it's last year in the RMAC. The Bobcats then played from 1957-1962 as an independent in the lower College Division. More of our rivalry games were played while in difference conferences than when in the same conference and I think from 1938-ish to the formation of the Big Sky Conference in 1963, MSU was in a lower division. Griz fans love to bring up overall record, without acknowledging that they were in a higher division for some of it. Since 1957, when MSU left the NAIA to join the lower College Division (UM was still giving the University Division a go for 5 more years), the Griz own a 34*-31 record (*would be 33 if you take out the vacated game in 2011).

bonarae
December 27th, 2022, 05:14 AM
To put things back in perspective... does it deserve another thread though? xchinscratchx

https://i.postimg.cc/JzctNKSS/321152048-5673211856109738-6714162734499600366-n.jpg

Look at MVSU, it's a program most similar to Georgetown yet they still play football after all those years... xchinscratchx

DFW HOYA
December 27th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Look at MVSU, it's a program most similar to Georgetown yet they still play football after all those years... xchinscratchx

You are wise enough to know that this is not a remotely reasonable comparison. MVSU has an athletic budget of $3.5 million, or about the size of the school's endowment. Athletics consumes just under 10 percent of all university expenses; the football budget is one third of this total or just under $1.1 million, which is below most Pioneer programs. Despite being a school of just 1,222 full time undergraduates, it's expected to compete at a Division I level, when it's closer to the SIAC schools.

MVSU head coach Vincent Dancy got a phone call from Deion Sanders and was out of town faster than you could say Itta Bena. MVSU paid him $100K a year, the most of any coach at that school, and that number will go way up in Boulder. For a coach with a 10-38 record, consider that a offer he could not refuse.

VandalBasher
December 28th, 2022, 08:25 PM
I’m hijacking this thread back!

Have the Vandals ever played Lamar? Who is leading this series?

bonarae
December 28th, 2022, 11:52 PM
The game series is the first ever Vandals-Lamar series in football, VandalBasher. (Had to go to Lamar's website to confirm this.)