PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Quarterfinal: #8 Holy Cross @ #1 South Dakota State

Pages : 1 [2]

Kemo
December 10th, 2022, 03:15 PM
According to the ESPN play by play, SDSU called time-out twice on that last drive, Holy Cross once. That being the case they could have easily run the clock out. Maybe the 1st TO was recorded incorrectly?

1st & 10 at HC 23

(1:39 - 4th) Mark Gronowski pass complete to Landon Wolf for no gain to the HCrss 23
(1:38 - 4th) Timeout SO DAKOTA ST, clock 01:38
2nd & 10 at HC 23

(1:33 - 4th) Amar Johnson run for 1 yd to the HCrss 22
(1:32 - 4th) Timeout HOLY CROSS, clock 01:32
3rd & 9 at HC 22

(1:23 - 4th) Amar Johnson run for 1 yd to the HCrss 21
(0:45 - 4th) Timeout SO DAKOTA ST, clock 00:45
4th & 8 at HC 21

(0:39 - 4th) Mark Gronowski pass complete to Jadon Janke for 21 yds for a TD, (Hunter Dustman KICK)

ESPN logged that wrong. HC had 2 timeouts and used them on first and 2nd down of the drive.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Classless act that last touchdown with 45 seconds. Ruined a nice win by SDSU,

While it made the final score less reflective of how close this game was, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with it. HC was using their timeouts, 2 score game, 4th and 8. You're two options are a) attempt a relatively easy FG to make it a 3-score game but run the risk of a block and runback or b) Get the first down (or TD) and game's over. And turnover on downs stops clock so nothing wrong with throwing there either.

Great game. Congrats SDSU.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 03:25 PM
From 14-7 to 21-35 is a slow avalanche by definition.

Kind of, yes. SDSU outscored us 36-7 after we took the 14-6 lead on the HB jump pass by Oliver. The pick-6 and the two missed FG hurt us (of course the 1st miss at end of half was a great kick just a hair short). It was for the most part a dead even game. But we couldn't finish drives in the 2nd half. Better team won in the end. But we were right there with them. To spin it any other way is just wrong.

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Kind of, yes. SDSU outscored us 36-7 after we took the 14-6 lead on the HB jump pass by Oliver. The pick-6 and the two missed FG hurt us (of course the 1st miss at end of half was a great kick just a hair short). It was for the most part a dead even game. But we couldn't finish drives in the 2nd half. Better team won in the end. But we were right there with them. To spin it any other way is just wrong.

Holy Cross played very well, but they needed everything to go right for them to win. You weren't going to be able to overcome mistakes like that in this game. I'm almost thinking the same about SDSU's matchup against the Bobcats next weekend, they'll need everything to go right to win.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 03:45 PM
That “good” field goal kicker must not be playing today. 臘

The miss before half was a great kick, right on the money just a hair short. The 2nd one I actually called unfortunately. For whatever reason, Ng has always been awful on short kicks from the left hash. Always pulls them. But rough postseason for him, 0/4 on FG attempts in the 2 games. Tough end to a great career.

SoDakSA
December 10th, 2022, 03:56 PM
SDSU always seems to have a couple of these games a year. I don't know if it's game plans, looking ahead to the following week, or just still learning to play in pressure games. The difference is, in the past they'd lose this game.

I'm certain that MSU will have their full attention after this performance and what happened last year. If they don't, my guess is we'll be leaving before the final gun.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 04:22 PM
SDSU always seems to have a couple of these games a year. I don't know if it's game plans, looking ahead to the following week, or just still learning to play in pressure games. The difference is, in the past they'd lose this game.

I'm certain that MSU will have their full attention after this performance and what happened last year. If they don't, my guess is we'll be leaving before the final gun.

This was the Southern Illinois game from last year.

SoDakSA
December 10th, 2022, 04:34 PM
This was the Southern Illinois game from last year.

Not having these types of games is the next hurdle for SDSU. This game, along with the first halves of the NDSU and UND games, the offense came out flat. Had they not had interceptions in all three of those games, SDSU may not win.

Don't get me wrong, I love the success. It's just that at this point in the playoffs, we can't rely just on our defense and one half of good offense

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Not having these types of games is the next hurdle for SDSU. This game, along with the first halves of the NDSU and UND games, the offense came out flat. Had they not had interceptions in all three of those games, SDSU may not win.

Don't get me wrong, I love the success. It's just that at this point in the playoffs, we can't rely just on our defense and one half of good offenseEvery team has those types of games. The next hurdle is finding a way to still win them, which you have done this year....

KPSUL
December 10th, 2022, 04:39 PM
ESPN logged that wrong. HC had 2 timeouts and used them on first and 2nd down of the drive.

If that's the case, then I agree, they needed that 1st down and you can't expect a player to take a knee when the goal line is in sight.

That may have been the closest 42-21 game I've ever seen.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2022, 04:44 PM
ESPN logged that wrong. HC had 2 timeouts and used them on first and 2nd down of the drive.so is that the rule, if the other team is calling time outs at the end of the game and the game is pretty much out of reach then you throw the ball to score. I am good with that, Samford was down 3 scores with 2 minutes left and NDSU had the ball in their territory and ran three stupid running plays and punted and then Samford went on a long drive at the end of the game, still calling timeouts. They called one with 2 seconds left. NDSU lacks killer instinct at the end of games.

SoDakSA
December 10th, 2022, 04:59 PM
Every team has those types of games. The next hurdle is finding a way to still win them, which you have done this year....

Perhaps it is us fans that need to take that next step. It certainly would make watching the games a bit easier.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2022, 05:18 PM
so is that the rule, if the other team is calling time outs at the end of the game and the game is pretty much out of reach then you throw the ball to score. I am good with that, Samford was down 3 scores with 2 minutes left and NDSU had the ball in their territory and ran three stupid running plays and punted and then Samford went on a long drive at the end of the game, still calling timeouts. They called one with 2 seconds left. NDSU lacks killer instinct at the end of games.
Don't tell that to UND or Delaware fans....

#FakePunts

Kemo
December 10th, 2022, 05:23 PM
so is that the rule, if the other team is calling time outs at the end of the game and the game is pretty much out of reach then you throw the ball to score. I am good with that, Samford was down 3 scores with 2 minutes left and NDSU had the ball in their territory and ran three stupid running plays and punted and then Samford went on a long drive at the end of the game, still calling timeouts. They called one with 2 seconds left. NDSU lacks killer instinct at the end of games.
I don't think we were throwing to score. I think we were throwing to get a first down and end the game, but just so happened to score because Jadon beat his man so bad. Keep in mind it was 4th and 8 with :45 seconds left, so pass or run, the clock stops if you don't get the first down there. I stick by my earlier statement that had Jadon fallen down at the 1, Stig wouldn't have tried to punch it in, but rather just taken a knee and put an end to the game.

ElCid
December 10th, 2022, 05:28 PM

In the last two years I've seen two teams down by two scores with about two minutes remaining, and they've somehow pulled it out. Nothing wrong with trying to keep pushing because weird stuff happens. I didn't check it this year, but last year Samford's scoring drives averaged under two minutes. But there is a little bit of a difference between a team up by two scores and taking knees with little time left when there is no way to be caught and/or when teams are just piling on in that case, versus a losing team trying to close the gap regardless of the time. Yeah there is point where futility becomes apparent, but for all the returning players it is a learning opportunity as well.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 06:22 PM
I don't think we were throwing to score. I think we were throwing to get a first down and end the game, but just so happened to score because Jadon beat his man so bad. Keep in mind it was 4th and 8 with :45 seconds left, so pass or run, the clock stops if you don't get the first down there. I stick by my earlier statement that had Jadon fallen down at the 1, Stig wouldn't have tried to punch it in, but rather just taken a knee and put an end to the game.

Exactly. Great game, unless you had money on Holy Cross ATS there was no reason for anyone to be butthurt by this playcall that resulted in a TD a 42-21 final score. If HC wanted SDSU to simply sit on the ball, then we shouldn't have called the timeouts. Like someone else posted earlier, it was easily the closest 42-21 game I've ever watched.

Sader87
December 10th, 2022, 06:25 PM
Cross played pretty well....rolled the dice on many calls and almost pulled it off....missed Dobbs on defense....great season...ChuChu Rah Rah!!!!

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2022, 06:33 PM
Perhaps it is us fans that need to take that next step. It certainly would make watching the games a bit easier.

It sounded like the fans that were there did a great job today. I think in past years after HC tied it in the 3rd quarter the fans would've been taken out of the game but sounded like they stayed in it today and were pretty loud the whole time.

Pards Rule
December 10th, 2022, 06:55 PM

^^^ THIS! Great show from our PL brothers today! Good job!

70MilesFromCanada
December 10th, 2022, 07:11 PM
I got a kick out of all the early thread posters predicting a complete blow out. It was far from it.

Not saying you are talking about me but I never predicted a blowout. I said slow avalanche. After Holy Cow was up 14-7 that’s exactly what happened. Don’t bother quoting stats. The score is the only thing that counts.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2022, 07:18 PM
Yep - the Crusaders proved today that they deserved to be seeded. W&M, on the other hand, proved the opposite last night.

are you really gonna drive up this dirt road all winter...

POD Knows
December 10th, 2022, 08:40 PM
In the last two years I've seen two teams down by two scores with about two minutes remaining, and they've somehow pulled it out. Nothing wrong with trying to keep pushing because weird stuff happens. I didn't check it this year, but last year Samford's scoring drives averaged under two minutes. But there is a little bit of a difference between a team up by two scores and taking knees with little time left when there is no way to be caught and/or when teams are just piling on in that case, versus a losing team trying to close the gap regardless of the time. Yeah there is point where futility becomes apparent, but for all the returning players it is a learning opportunity as well.
I am defending what SDSU did, got the other team calling time outs, the game still in play, put the hammer down. I love it. I wish NDSU did it more.

Bisonoline
December 10th, 2022, 09:08 PM
Yep - the Crusaders proved today that they deserved to be seeded. W&M, on the other hand, proved the opposite last night.

Truth be told there are no east coast teams left standing. So the justification that the committee used for having more teams from those conferences seem to be ahhhh bull****. :D

SoDakSA
December 10th, 2022, 09:19 PM
It sounded like the fans that were there did a great job today. I think in past years after HC tied it in the 3rd quarter the fans would've been taken out of the game but sounded like they stayed in it today and were pretty loud the whole time.

Ya, we all had a good time. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned after they tied the game.

ngineer
December 10th, 2022, 09:58 PM
Wasn't able to see the game for family reasons; however, I enjoyed reading the posts regarding the progress of the game. Congrats to SDSU on advancing, and congrats to the Crusaders for playing a hell of a game. As someone said, the Jacks have a better team, overall, but Holy Cross could very well have won that game. The ones that keep you up at night thinking about the "oh so close" play that could easily have gone the other way. HC represented the PL well, and hopefully, we can rejoin the upper echelon in the not too distant future. Way to go 'saders!

UNHWildcat18
December 11th, 2022, 07:32 AM

FuBear is such a ****ing loser, guy went from light trolling to just being the annoying guy that everyone hates on the bus.

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2022, 08:16 AM
What impressed you, personally, the most about William & Mary’s performance vs. Montana State and why is The Tribe better than Morehead State?

JacksFan40
December 11th, 2022, 08:26 AM
What impressed you, personally, the most about William & Mary’s performance vs. Montana State and why is The Tribe better than Morehead State?
By your logic Samford is better than Oregon, because Samford only lost to Georgia by 33, as opposed to 46.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2022, 08:35 AM

You remember my comment after Mercer’s opening night win over Morehead State? I watched a lot of that game and my eyes were telling me Mercer just didn’t have the Defense. I mentioned it to you and I could tell you also knew it would be proven true.

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2022, 09:24 AM
You remember my comment after Mercer’s opening night win over Morehead State? I watched a lot of that game and my eyes were telling me Mercer just didn’t have the Defense. I mentioned it to you and I could tell you also knew it would be proven true.
Not sure that replying to a complete non sequitur of a response makes much sense, but FUBeAR ain’t real bright…

Mercer ran out of healthy RB’s and did not have enough depth or experience on the O-Line to withstand losing a couple of guys there. The OLine they trotted out against Samford was near-Scout Team quality…and it showed. Otherwise, the Bears beat Samford and we see what they could have put together in the Playoffs. Mercer’s Defense was fine, despite that you are going to point out they gave up a lot of points against Samford (in double OT). They went into that game as the Number 1 or 2 Scoring D in the SoCon.

So…not sure what you are talking about or why, but am sure that the conclusion does not align with FUBeAR’s assessment at the beginning of the season or at the end of it.

So…let’s try again…

2 part question…

1). What impressed you, personally, the most about William & Mary’s performance vs. Montana State?

2) Why is The Tribe better than Morehead State?

taper
December 11th, 2022, 09:33 AM
This game reminded me of FCS/FBS games. There's a bunch of them where the FCS team is competitive for 3 quarters then falls off a cliff. Lots of FCS teams have starters just as good as FBS, but the backups see a huge drop. Not being able to rotate as much just wears you out by the end of the game. I think the best prediction about this game was that SDSU grinds it out and eventually out-physicals HC. Good game, but I don't agree it was closer than the score shows when there's 21 unanswered points in the 4th, just as predicted.

ElCid
December 11th, 2022, 10:13 AM
Good game, but I don't agree it was closer than the score shows when there's 21 unanswered points in the 4th, just as predicted.

Really? So you think going for it on 4th and long deep in your territory, and not making it, and giving up a short field doesn't make it look different that the actual game situation? So you think HC should have punted? Hmm. Interesting. Come on. We've all seen teams give up scores on desperation moves before. This game was much closer than the score regardless of creative spin attempts.

crusader11
December 11th, 2022, 10:30 AM
This game reminded me of FCS/FBS games. There's a bunch of them where the FCS team is competitive for 3 quarters then falls off a cliff. Lots of FCS teams have starters just as good as FBS, but the backups see a huge drop. Not being able to rotate as much just wears you out by the end of the game. I think the best prediction about this game was that SDSU grinds it out and eventually out-physicals HC. Good game, but I don't agree it was closer than the score shows when there's 21 unanswered points in the 4th, just as predicted.

I kind of agree. Not to boast, but I think I largely nailed this game.

I predicted a one score game entering the 4th quarter. It was a tie game at 21. While I didn’t check the “live line” of the game after 3 quarters, I imagine HC was probably around +125 or so as they had the ball deep in SDSU’s territory. Bunny fans would be lying if they said they weren’t damn nervous at this point in the game. HC was lining up for a go-ahead field goal and had actually out-gained SDSU in yardage.

As I anticipated, the 605 hogs and Davis proved to be a little stronger and better on the final two drives. Just slowly wore down the HC front seven.

This is a 35-21 final if Chesney elected to allow the clock to run out, rather than calling two timeouts at the end to allow for the final TD that only mattered to bettors.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2022, 10:43 AM

I predicted a one score game entering the 4th quarter. It was a tie game at 21. While I didn’t check the “live line” of the game after 3 quarters, I imagine HC was probably around +125 or so as they had the ball deep in SDSU’s territory. Bunny fans would be lying if they said they weren’t damn nervous at this point in the game. HC was lining up for a go-ahead field goal and had actually out-gained SDSU in yardage.

As I anticipated, the 605 hogs and Davis proved to be a little stronger and better on the final two drives. Just slowly wore down the HC front seven.

This is a 35-21 final if Chesney elected to allow the clock to run out, rather than calling two timeouts at the end to allow for the final TD that only mattered to bettors.

Crusader11, you absolutely nailed this game, great job!

taper
December 11th, 2022, 10:45 AM
Really? So you think going for it on 4th and long deep in your territory, and not making it, and giving up a short field doesn't make it look different that the actual game situation? So you think HC should have punted? Hmm. Interesting. Come on. We've all seen teams give up scores on desperation moves before. This game was much closer than the score regardless of creative spin attempts.
21 unanswered points needs a whole lot of creative spin attempts to dismiss. HC called a bunch of high risk high reward plays throughout the entire game and was largely successful. You can't ignore the gains from that while what-ifing if ALL these attempts had been successful. One team played really well for 3 quarters, the other played really well for 4.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2022, 11:21 AM
Not sure that replying to a complete non sequitur of a response makes much sense, but FUBeAR ain’t real bright…

Mercer ran out of healthy RB’s and did not have enough depth or experience on the O-Line to withstand losing a couple of guys there. The OLine they trotted out against Samford was near-Scout Team quality…and it showed. Otherwise, the Bears beat Samford and we see what they could have put together in the Playoffs. Mercer’s Defense was fine, despite that you are going to point out they gave up a lot of points against Samford (in double OT). They went into that game as the Number 1 or 2 Scoring D in the SoCon.

So…not sure what you are talking about or why, but am sure that the conclusion does not align with FUBeAR’s assessment at the beginning of the season or at the end of it.

So…let’s try again…

2 part question…

1). What impressed you, personally, the most about William & Mary’s performance vs. Montana State?

2) Why is The Tribe better than Morehead State?

Hey Peter, let's get one thing straight... I never agreed to take questions when I signed up on here...

The Cats
December 11th, 2022, 12:31 PM
South Dakota State

NY Crusader 2010
December 12th, 2022, 12:50 PM

+125 at the time of the missed FG sounds about right. According to ESPN, Holy Cross had a 61.8% chance of victory towards the tail end of our drive. Of course, that % doesn't take into account the quality of the teams, just the current scenario. So SDSU was likely still a 4:5-ish favorite at that point.