PDA

View Full Version : Wofford to announce new football coach on Thursday Morning

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2022, 09:41 PM
I'll be honest, though I'm more offline nowadays, the fact that I'm hearing no rumors here of who it is, but that a lot of former Ayers guys won't come back under current administrative leadership, AND the most prominent potential hires are coaching in championship games or preparing for Navy this week make me extremely pessimistic.

But also, I'm creeping on my coach picks on social media and they haven't changed profile pictures and stuff yet smh.

Please don't botch this Richard Johnson.

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2022, 09:51 PM
https://goracers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/johnson-richardson/1430

#BookIt

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2022, 09:56 PM
I'm laughing very hard, in a gallows humor kind of way lol

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 07:01 AM
I'm hearing it will be Watson

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2022, 07:36 AM
I'm hearing it will be Watson
So, y’all are gonna trust a Conklin hire with the future of Wofford Football?

Mocs123
December 1st, 2022, 08:36 AM
So, y’all are gonna trust a Conklin hire with the future of Wofford Football?

ETSU would probably let them hire Quarrels if they wanted.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 09:17 AM
Honestly, Watson's performance looks a little better in light of how the socon race shook up. At the beginning of the season, it looked like the first 5 games of the season would be against the toughest opponents, but it turned out to be 2 of the last 6. Admittedly, Watson lost both of those games, but in all of the games we played we looked better than we did in the first 5 games.

And Furman and Samford were each better than Elon, KSU, Mercer, and Chattanooga, at the end of the season.

So, if it turns out to be Watson (we'll know in about an hour), I don't think it's a bad hire. It's just not an exciting one. Watson is well respected in the coaching industry, likes the kids, is respected in the locker room, has been everywhere, and will no doubt have us in good hands on offense. I'm worried about the defense and the offensive line a little bit, but I think it's a little rash to judge him based off what he inherited midseason. Overall, a little bit of continuity on offense wouldn't be the worst thing because we haven't had any since COVID.

I don't think we will make the playoffs next year anyway (too tough of an OOC schedule), so I'm more interested in how we progress. This season was going to be one of improvement, but we knew there was going to be a ceiling. Next season, I think it's the same deal, but with a higher ceiling.

I won't say I'm cautiously optimistic, so much as I am uncertain and cautiously not pessimistic. I think the things that made Conklin a bad leader are not there with Watson, and though that's a low bar to clear, it's a start on top of the other stuff.

Catbooster
December 1st, 2022, 09:40 AM
Honestly, Watson's performance looks a little better in light of how the socon race shook up. At the beginning of the season, it looked like the first 5 games of the season would be against the toughest opponents, but it turned out to be 2 of the last 6. Admittedly, Watson lost both of those games, but in all of the games we played we looked better than we did in the first 5 games.

And Furman and Samford were each better than Elon, KSU, Mercer, and Chattanooga, at the end of the season.

So, if it turns out to be Watson (we'll know in about an hour), I don't think it's a bad hire. It's just not an exciting one. Watson is well respected in the coaching industry, likes the kids, is respected in the locker room, has been everywhere, and will no doubt have us in good hands on offense. I'm worried about the defense and the offensive line a little bit, but I think it's a little rash to judge him based off what he inherited midseason. Overall, a little bit of continuity on offense wouldn't be the worst thing because we haven't had any since COVID.

I don't think we will make the playoffs next year anyway (too tough of an OOC schedule), so I'm more interested in how we progress. This season was going to be one of improvement, but we knew there was going to be a ceiling. Next season, I think it's the same deal, but with a higher ceiling.

I won't say I'm cautiously optimistic, so much as I am uncertain and cautiously not pessimistic. I think the things that made Conklin a bad leader are not there with Watson, and though that's a low bar to clear, it's a start on top of the other stuff.
Well that's certainly a rousing endorsement. xthumbsupx

Good luck. I hope they make a good hire.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 09:50 AM
It's Watson https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-wofford-removing-interim-tag-naming-shawn-watson-next-head-coach

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2022, 10:00 AM
It's Watson https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-wofford-removing-interim-tag-naming-shawn-watson-next-head-coach
63 year old with a Career Head Coaching record of 14-25 / .359.

alrighty…

FUGameBreaker
December 1st, 2022, 10:09 AM
Does this speak more to Terrier admiration for Watson, or a lack of qualified new applicants?

Mocs123
December 1st, 2022, 10:15 AM
Wofford has some challenges - strong academic requirements and being one of the smallest schools in D1, but they have a pretty strong history of being a quality program, and good facilities thanks to the Richardson $$$, so I imagine they had some decent candidates. If they didn't, FUBeAR might suggest hiring a better Search Firm.

Sir William
December 1st, 2022, 10:26 AM
Good hire. Congrats!

clenz
December 1st, 2022, 10:45 AM
Uh....

Out of all the potential hires that is certainly one of them.

Given his time at UNI I certainly wouldn't see that but I guess whatever works

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 10:49 AM
He's only been a head coach once, during the Clinton administration, when he was 34 years old. I don't really hold it against him.

I have heard rumors that not a lot of Wofford coaching alumni want to come back to Wofford as long as Richard Johnson is still the AD.

I'm liking this hire more and more. Watson loves the players and coaches and the feeling is mutual. That's a good foundation of leadership to stand on.

We'll continue to grow on offense. Defense and the run game needs work, but I like his accolades and like his character. It could be a total bust, but it can't be worse than the last couple of years, and I'm okay with that...for now.

clenz
December 1st, 2022, 10:53 AM
He's only been a head coach once, during the Clinton administration, when he was 34 years old. I don't really hold it against him.

I have heard rumors that not a lot of Wofford coaching alumni want to come back to Wofford as long as Richard Johnson is still the AD.

I'm liking this hire more and more. Watson loves the players and coaches and the feeling is mutual. That's a good foundation of leadership to stand on.

We'll continue to grow on offense. Defense and the run game needs work, but I like his accolades and like his character. It could be a total bust, but it can't be worse than the last couple of years, and I'm okay with that...for now.You start to wonder why he went 30 years between opportunities.

It's not like he left coaching for a while to do something else.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 11:00 AM
You start to wonder why he went 30 years between opportunities.

It's not like he left coaching for a while to do something else.

Yeah, he's had a weird career. He coaches Teddy Bridgewater. On some occasions he was brought over to one staff (Nebraska) and retained when there was a coaching change. And in others he was fired or let go (Texas, Pitt) for not being good enough (most recently at Pitt for not developing Pickett well enough). He's different from Conklin who clearly had weird narcissistic ambitions about climbing ranks or whatever. His career has been one of being successful at one place, getting hired somewhere else (usually following a head coach hire) and not doing well there, and then finding jobs accordingly. That's basically what he's done since he left Texas.

I think one could fairly call him a middling FBS coordinator, but that's still a lot more experience and accomplishment than a lot of coaches at this level. He's known for being a good QB coach. I have a friend who is a high school coach in DC and he tells me that Watson taught a lot of folks how to pass the ball.

I'm not too worried about that though, because there's lots of coaches at this level who pretty much struck out at the FBS level but are doing pretty good now (Hawkins at UC Davis comes to mind).

MSUBobcat
December 1st, 2022, 11:01 AM

We'll continue to grow on offense. Defense and the run game needs work, but I like his accolades and like his character. It could be a total bust, but it can't be worse than the last couple of years, and I'm okay with that...for now.

What's the reasoning for that? Is the guy whose name is two euphemisms for dick... a dick?

clenz
December 1st, 2022, 11:05 AM
Yeah, he's had a weird career. He coaches Teddy Bridgewater. On some occasions he was brought over to one staff (Nebraska) and retained when there was a coaching change. And in others he was fired or let go (Texas, Pitt) for not being good enough (most recently at Pitt for not developing Pickett well enough). He's different from Conklin who clearly had weird narcissistic ambitions about climbing ranks or whatever. His career has been one of being successful at one place, getting hired somewhere else (usually following a head coach hire) and not doing well there, and then finding jobs accordingly. That's basically what he's done since he left Texas.

I think one could fairly call him a middling FBS coordinator, but that's still a lot more experience and accomplishment than a lot of coaches at this level. He's known for being a good QB coach. I have a friend who is a high school coach in DC and he tells me that Watson taught a lot of folks how to pass the ball.

I'm not too worried about that though, because there's lots of coaches at this level who pretty much struck out at the FBS level but are doing pretty good now (Hawkins at UC Davis comes to mind).
I watch the QB play under Watson at UNI and then under Reeder at UNI and it's legitimately night and day difference

We heard the same stuff about him being a QB whisperer, but none of it happened at UNI, and I've heard from people close that overall, it was a net negative to the QB room.

His claim to fame is Teddy, but if you look at the totality of his career it seems Teddy is his claim to fame because Teddy is/was Teddy.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 11:23 AM
What's the reasoning for that? Is the guy whose name is two euphemisms for dick... a dick?

In short: yes

I watch the QB play under Watson at UNI and then under Reeder at UNI and it's legitimately night and day difference

We heard the same stuff about him being a QB whisperer, but none of it happened at UNI, and I've heard from people close that overall, it was a net negative to the QB room.

His claim to fame is Teddy, but if you look at the totality of his career it seems Teddy is his claim to fame because Teddy is/was Teddy.

Had you told me this in September I'd somewhat agree. But then Conklin quit and suddenly our QB was putting up great stats through the final 6 games (over 1500 yards passing, 11 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions and like 170 straight passes without a pick).

There's *something* there, and it was better than what we saw in previous seasons.

clenz
December 1st, 2022, 11:39 AM

Had you told me this in September I'd somewhat agree. But then Conklin quit and suddenly our QB was putting up great stats through the final 6 games (over 1500 yards passing, 11 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions and like 170 straight passes without a pick).

There's *something* there, and it was better than what we saw in previous seasons.
Yeah. Then there is what happened to UNI after he left.

We went from a bottom 3 or 4 offense, especially passing, to this in our new guys first year with entirely the same roster

https://twitter.com/CoachBodie4/status/1596602443869360129?s=20&t=n_ArlCpGTOjn-r2tMPdYkg

Not sure how to explain it but something doesn't add up with his career but what is said about him everywhere he goes.

I hope he does well, I didn't hear a bad thing about him as a person. I'm not trying to make it sound like that at all.

Sir William
December 1st, 2022, 11:46 AM
Watson took a Wofford team that under Conklin was 1-10 last year and 0-5 this year, and went 3-3 the rest of the way. Not bad, especially considering how bad Wofford was when he took over as interim.

Not that I'm pulling for him to succeed next year....

acbearkat
December 1st, 2022, 11:59 AM
Shawn Watson's offenses at Texas were nothing to write home about. He was fired after two years, and along with Joe Wickline, the offensive line coach (who was also dismissed after two years), the worst hire Charlie Strong made in his time at Texas. Charlie Strong was just simply a lousy head coach.

Bisonator
December 1st, 2022, 01:05 PM
Seems like an odd hire but good luck Terrier fans!

https://media.tenor.com/0Y3Q8l10FLEAAAAM/bold-commentary.gif

gofurman
December 1st, 2022, 04:58 PM

I hope he is good for SoCon. Clearly Conklin rode coattails of Ayer’s players and then things went downhill. FAST. Something like 2 playoff years and then soon two Horrible years (0-17?) with Conklin. Just horrific. If you can take an 0-16 team and then win 3 games you have something ok. Many kids would quit. As a Furman guy I do like the lack of OL though 😉

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 07:08 PM
Watson will hire a new OC and a defensive coach.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/football/2022/12/01/wofford-football-name-shawn-watson-next-head-coach/69692097007/

Also, fun fact: Ayers was 11-21 as a head coach when hired at Wofford

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2022, 07:50 PM
fun fact: Ayers was 11-21 as a head coach when hired at Wofford as a 40 year old…

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2022, 10:51 PM
as a 40 year old… and Watson had it at 34 year old.

You could say he was ahead of his time.

Terrierific
December 1st, 2022, 11:27 PM
Meh hire. Hopefully, Wofford has a new athletic director when we inevitably do this again in 2 to 3 years.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2022, 04:36 AM
and Watson had it at 34 year old.

You could say he was ahead of his time.
You could…when the Salukis hired him as their Head Coach. Now, the only thing you can say is…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kdinva
January 1st, 2023, 07:18 PM
apologies for going off topic, but Wofford's men's hoops Coach is out, heard 2nd hand he was a "yeller" too.

ElCid
January 2nd, 2023, 08:42 AM
apologies for going off topic, but Wofford's men's hoops Coach is out, heard 2nd hand he was a "yeller" too.

Sounded similar to the football situation. Rumors of players supposedly complained to administration, threatened to quit , etc. If he wasn't removed. Very strange goings on if accurate.