PDA

View Full Version : Game added on Saturday 12/3: Valparaiso at New Mexico State

CHIP72
November 29th, 2022, 07:04 PM
New Mexico State, which had its originally scheduled Saturday 10/22 home game against San Jose State cancelled as a result of the unexpected death of a SJSU player, finally was able to find a replacement opponent for that game. They will host PFL member Valparaiso on Saturday 12/3. San Jose State and other DI-A/FBS and DI-AA/FCS schools had passed on playing NMSU, which is 5-6 and seeking both bowl eligibility and a proper send-off for its senior players. New Mexico State will NOT automatically become bowl eligible should they beat Valparaiso due to the fact they already have one DI-AA/FCS win this season (vs Lamar). However, they are seeking an eligibility waiver to participate in a bowl game with a 6-6 record and two DI-AA/FCS wins (and were already seeking it with a 5-6 record and one DI-AA/FCS win). Currently 79 of the 82 available DI-A/FBS bowl slots are accounted for, and three other teams (5-6 Buffalo if they beat Akron, 6-6 Appalachian State with two DI-AA/FCS wins, and 5-6 Army with two DI-AA/FCS wins and one game remaining against Navy) besides the NMSU Aggies may yet still earn or be granted bowl eligibility.

For Valparaiso, the game provides a unique opportunity for the Beacons to play a game in December. Valpo has never appeared in the DI-AA/FCS playoffs since moving up to the classification and joining the Pioneer Football League in 1993.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Valló! A place that will never be forgotten!

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/107787303/photo/view-of-colorful-buildings.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&c=f9UApoSy65YJ_pAobi9DhbZS28z1XdCW3GjgwK0bLrc=

MR. CHICKEN
November 30th, 2022, 07:34 AM
HOA IN DAT DEVELOPEMENT......DROPPED DUH ROCK.....ON HIDEOUS PAINT SCHEMES....&....NO ABOVE GROUND POOLS.....xsmhx.....BRAWK!

HOW DOES VALPO....QUALIFY...UH 12th GAME.......xdontknowx.......AWK?

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2022, 07:41 AM
I heard this game was primarily scheduled so NMSU could get to 6 wins and bowl eligibility but since when do wins over non-scholly Pioneer teams count towards bowl eligibility? I thought that there was some rule about opposing schools needing to have X number of scholarships for wins over them to count towards bowl eligibility? That must be part of this waiver they're trying to get to have this 2nd FCS game counted towards the 6 win requirement.

abc123
November 30th, 2022, 08:58 AM
Among the other things already mentioned on the NMSU side, I'm curious how Valpo got a waiver for a 12th game?

TribeNomad1
November 30th, 2022, 09:02 AM
Among the other things already mentioned on the NMSU side, I'm curious how Valpo got a waiver for a 12th game?

Don Corleone?

Anthony215
November 30th, 2022, 09:02 AM

I'd assume the NCAA counts this as a post season game for Valpo since the regular season is finished already. Also probably a favor to NMSU for them losing the San Jose game to a tragic situation and SJSU not wanting to play them. At the least NMSU doesn't get a bowl game but still has senior day honors for the young men suiting up for the last time in front of their home fans/family/friends.

MR. CHICKEN
November 30th, 2022, 09:04 AM

....QUESTION'S...ALREADY BEEN ASKED.......xsighx.....AWK!

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2022, 09:12 AM
HOA IN DAT DEVELOPEMENT......DROPPED DUH ROCK.....ON HIDEOUS PAINT SCHEMES....&....NO ABOVE GROUND POOLS.....xsmhx.....BRAWK!

HOW DOES VALPO....QUALIFY...UH 12th GAME.......xdontknowx.......AWK?

Mr C, just know growing up hitting lots of Doubles down in Laurel to suddenly walking into a Chilean seaside town hitting Grand Slams ... A 19 year old playing in the big leagues

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Other than a check, I see no hope for Valpo in this game.

MR. CHICKEN
November 30th, 2022, 09:29 AM
Mr C, just know growing up hitting lots of Doubles down in Laurel to suddenly walking into a Chilean seaside town hitting Grand Slams ... A 19 year old playing in the big leagues

....WERE YOUSE...IN DUH MINORS?.......VALLO.....HIGH ALTITUDE?...........AWK?

NY Crusader 2010
November 30th, 2022, 06:23 PM

Remember the Iowa State-Drake game from a few years ago? And Iowa State was ranked with numerous AGS posters seriously pondering whether they could score 100 points.

Valpo is still an average Pioneer team but they did play Illinois State within a TD and beat San Diego this year. They're definitely better than usual -- which is somewhere around the worst DI team in the country.

mvemjsunpx
November 30th, 2022, 06:37 PM

Well… the last time we had a Pioneer vs. FBS makeup game in December, it was quite interesting.

https://i.postimg.cc/xdJ72Q1C/untitled.png

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401082044

CHIP72
December 1st, 2022, 05:38 PM
FWIW, New Mexico State was approved for its bowl eligibility waiver. If they beat Valparaiso, they will qualify for a bowl game.

Libertine
December 1st, 2022, 09:28 PM
FWIW, New Mexico State was approved for its bowl eligibility waiver. If they beat Valparaiso, they will qualify for a bowl game.

Almost right. With the waiver, NMSU is bowl-eligible right now. The Valpo game means nothing one way or the other on that front. I think this is just so NMSU can have a Senior Day.